the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 225 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6721 of 6746 Old 05-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Brahmzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I use the curved JU7500 40" as my main monitor - it's fantastic.
Full 4K 60hz 4:4:4 support. You need an nVidia 9-series card to go with it.

As far as TV size, ALWAYS go as big as you can afford. The bigger the better. My 70" is too dang small. Looking to get a Sharp 80 UH30 when they come out.

HTPC | 12TB NAS | DENON 2809ci | Sharp 70
Klipsch RF-7II,RC-64II,CDT-5650-CII | SVS SB-2000 x2

Last edited by Brahmzy; 05-22-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Brahmzy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6722 of 6746 Old 05-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
sigs21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: ATX
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - all given this size of the room below.. I don't have the actually size of the Fire place with me.. and the brightness of the room.. looking at a 65LED or above- what would you recommend to mount on the fire place we don't want to keep the TV where it is currently at- looking at the js8500 samsung- or may just go with a non 4k set. and would that mounting have to much neck strain..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	562939-1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	730450   Click image for larger version

Name:	562939.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	730458  
sigs21 is offline  
post #6723 of 6746 Old 05-23-2015, 01:53 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone, first time poster requesting unusual advice.

I have a brightly lit family room with Glass Sliding Doors all around. I would like to do a setup with 4 TVs forming a video wall. Seating distance is about 10'.
Bezel size is a consideration for this application and so is picture quality. TVs will be used to watch regular TV shows and movies. No gaming or any other special needs.
I can use 55" or 60" TVs in the space to form the video wall and not look too overwhelming in the room.
I have been looking at the 2015 Vizio M or the Samsung UN H7150 for this application based on reviews I have been reading online.
One is a 4k set and the other is a 1080P. Any suggestions regarding these 2 units or some other options to consider?
Thanks!

Fred
FredBMOC is offline  
post #6724 of 6746 Old 05-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Newbie
 
proceedputty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
Looking to replace my Samsung 63" plasma, the 7000 series. It's starting to get the pink bars on a full white screen, plus I need something bigger. Bottom line though I can wait if the 'right" TV for me is just around the corner. Unfortunately projection is not an option. My setup:
1. Budget - $10k, although I would much prefer to spend less.
2. Seating distance - 15 feet. Room really won't allow for me to sit closer.
3. Size/placement limitations - None, except I have to wall mount.
4. Uses and sources - 50/50 Fios TV and an Oppo 103D.
5. Room lighting - I can control light in the room.

I have my eyes set on the Samsung 85" 8550, but those are at the top of my price range and don't seem to have a newer model coming. Plus they don't look like they will support the newer specs coming out. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Putty
proceedputty is offline  
post #6725 of 6746 Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
nvidio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: beer city (aka Belgium)
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Hi -
I'm looking for a 4K tv to try to use as a computer monitor. Has anyone got recommendations? I'd really like to know if it is a stupid idea.

I'll be sitting 2.5-3 feet from it, so I assume that I should get a smaller size (40-43") screen. But I wonder if something like Sony's 48.5" 830c would be too big. I don't want to turn my head from side to side as I program. I suppose I could wall mount it and move my desk back a foot or two.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Asus PA328Q
nvidio is offline  
post #6726 of 6746 Old 05-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Newbie
 
Jle7385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I bought a 65LB5200, I'm fairly satisfied with the TV except that it has a faulty HDMI port. So I have the option to exchange for the same thing or pay $250 more for a 65LB6300. Main differences I see are an increased refresh rate, IPS panel, and Smart functions. I could care less about the smart functions. I've noticed a little lag in games but not horrible, the semigloss screen isn't too reflective, non hd programming looks like ass however, blu Rays look great as well as games. Sometimes I get an occasional frame skip or slowdown no matter the source. My set doesn't suffer from extreme black light bleed which seems to be the luck of the draw with the 65LB5200.

Anybody here have these TVs and care to comment? I need the accidental warranty microcenter offers so basically that's the place I have to choose from and these are the only 2 65" under $1000. I know that's not a huge budget and you get what you pay for, I don't need the best but want something with low input lag, low motion blur, decent blacks, limited back light bleed and last a few years.

The room is medium on natural light, none really directly on the screen, I sit 10ft away, and will be using it for a Roku 3, PS4/Xbox One/PS3/360/Wii U

Advice? Keep what I have or upgrade to the 65LB6300 when I exchange? Thanks!
Jle7385 is offline  
post #6727 of 6746 Old 05-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
JS8500 will have improved contrast and support for HDR and WCG. Those are things that most people would not notice given your proposed usage. The thing that would be most noticeable would be better detail in dark/shadow areas. It all depends how picky you are. If you didn't compare them side by side you probably would not know what you were missing.

As for 65" for 75" my recommendation would be to grab some painters tape and throw it on the wall in both TV sizes where you are planning to put the TV. Than go back to your sitting position and decide what you prefer.


There are precious few TVs that are capable of being used as a good 4K monitor this year. Mot, including the Sony, are not capable of 4K resolutions at 60Hz.

For programming I like using a pair of large 16x10 monitors in portrait orientation.


Thank you for your help. I think you're right. The JU7100 will probably do the trick. Its a really good tv and probably plenty for my non-movie TV. Is not having HDR a big deal though?
Jason Strobel is offline  
post #6728 of 6746 Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strobel View Post
Is not having HDR a big deal though?
Maybe? Probably? Definitely?

HDR is a big deal in terms of technology. If it offers for more realistic contrast than we have seen in TVs in the past.

HDR is a big deal for movies. Movies are probably the first place we will see HDR implemented and studios are already starting to commit to this.

I believe HDR will also become common in games in the future.

How prevalent HDR will be in broadcast TV is unclear to me.

The challenge is you can look at every feature of a TV and have this same conversation. It is more about how important it is to you and how much you are willing to spend.
dalto is online now  
post #6729 of 6746 Old 05-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Member
 
starbuckcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
65" TV suggestions for around $1200

Just got a new house and 1st things 1st....I need a TV for the family room and just looking for something to watch Netflix and very light TV watching. The main couch is about is about 16 feet from where the TV will be mounted. As soon as work slows down I will post pics of the basement and my ideas of dedicated Theater Room and bar, but for now just a TV and would appreciate any feed back. Since this is basic/light watching I was trying to keep it around $1200 or less. Here are the two I have my eye on:

* E65-C3 Vizio 65" ($1000)
http://www.costco.com/Vizio-65%22-Cl...100142465.html
* UN65H6350 Samsung 65" ($1200)
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65H6...ords=UN65H6350

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
starbuckcat is offline  
post #6730 of 6746 Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
baloo_btru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide whether I should purchase the Sony 55x850c, currently at $1600 or perhaps spend a bit more and go with the Samsung 8500 which is now at $1999.

I am leaning towards the Sony, and I like the Android TV much better than the Tizen OS. But from what I've read the 8500 has a better picture overall.

Otherwise, I could always just wait too.

I definitely want to stick to 55" and $2k or less. Must be flat. Mostly TV watching with occasional movies.

Suggestions?

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
baloo_btru is offline  
post #6731 of 6746 Old 05-26-2015, 06:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Let this post be a cautionary tale: LISTEN to your fellow AVSforum fellows. They have your back.
(Or, Trials and Tribulations of a Discount Buyer)
(Or, My Experience with My New Samsung UN55HU8550)


I should have listened to you. But I let the GF sway me. And now I have buyer's remorse. The GF may have to go.


So, I ended up going with the Samsung UN55HU8550, mostly because I found a hella deal on it for $1000. It was one of the best rated TVs of last year's models, and I can't figure out why. And for the record, I played the Samsung Panel Lottery and won: it DOES have the Samsung panel (55A1UU8EH), but I can't get this thing dialed in to a good picture to save my life. And also, if it IS upscaling to 4k, I sure can't tell. We had a little Harry Potter marathon and watched three 1080p Blu-Rays. I expected at least HD quality, and hoped the upscaling would give them a little bump, but honestly, they looked like DVD quality. Terrible.


Actually, to be fair, it looks spectacular on Xbox One games: Metal Gear Solid V looks like a movie. Very nice. But Blu-Rays (Xbox One through a Denon X2100W), and broadcast TV both look terrible. 3D (Guardians of the Galaxy 3D) looks pretty good (all the color issues I'm having aside), but the active 3D hurts my head after a while. I wish there was a passive 3D 4K out there.


After I pulled it out of the box, and marveled at how thin and light it was compared to my old TV, I hooked it up, turned it on, and ran through the initial setup. I turned on a local broadcast station broadcasting the news in 1080 with Dolby Digital sound....and it looked terrible. Really, really bad. Contrast lines, color pumped up to Willy Wonka levels, lobster faces. The blacks were black, but the whites were pink. Blues painfully bright. Greens dull and lifeless.


So, I reset it to factory and started over. Set it to Movie Mode (although through the process I also tried the other modes, as well, since some every mode has settings that are grayed out), and went through all of the settings...fiddled with everything. I've got it dialed in to where it's watchable, but it seems like over every half hour or so, the colors have drifted off and I have to go back in fiddle some more. Sometimes it looks like I need to turn the color up, and on other scenes it needs to go down. I think the biggest problem is that the whites are still pink (although when I sit down and do the 10pt calibration...the only thing I haven't done yet...I think that problem will be minimized), but also: faces are still pink (even with face tone turned way down), blues are still super intense, greens are still dull, yellows are orange. And when I think I finally have it looking watchably ok, I continue on (in the same movie) and the colors are all off again a half hour later. The settings aren't changing, they have stayed where I set them, it just looks bad.


I tried screen-mirroring my phone and using the THX tune-up to get a rough calibration, but there are a lot of settings...especially color settings...that aren't available in the screen-mirroring mode. I ordered both the Spears and Munsil and Disney WOW calibration blu-rays, so I'll try again with those tonight and see if I can get some better results.


QUESTIONS
1. Is there any way to unlock ALL of the settings at one time? Or, what mode gives me access to the most possible calibration options? It's frustrating when I want to try adjusting a setting and it's grayed out.


2. Any tips on doing the 10pt calibration?


3. Is the 4k upscaling a setting somewhere I haven't found that can be turned on and off. Because it sure doesn't look it's even trying.
CeeAnton is offline  
post #6732 of 6746 Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeAnton View Post
So, I ended up going with the Samsung UN55HU8550, mostly because I found a hella deal on it for $1000
You should probably post this in the owners thread for the Hu8550. I don't think many people will see it here.
dalto is online now  
post #6733 of 6746 Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Member
 
techlogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, got a pickle. So have 53" of width to work with. Newer 55" have such thin bezels and sit much lower than my current Vizio xvt553SV model with wider frame, that just makes it in the space, the space/gap and look is pretty anemic with a new Samsung I just got. Which I'm not real impressed with, whole other story. Although the World thinks it is supposed to be amazing, somewhat it is, but the JU7100 isn't all that special, and the small frame size looks silly in my custom built in now.

I would really like to get a 60" in the space. The narrowest I've found that would fit is the LG60UF8500 at 52.9" that has just some out. It would be touching the walls pretty much when perpendicular or really have like .1" gap. But would fit.

I've found a few other sets, closest at 53.1" width. Think that was a 1080p LG also. But I can't find any other brand that can make the 53" or narrower width than this. Most are at around 53.5-53.7" width and don't think it would make it without being angled and looking stupid.

I know...either live with a better quality smaller 55", or find another one with a larger framing of the actual picture to fit the space. Gotta wife to please as well and can't take a wrecking ball to my custom cabinets...haha

Anybody got some ideas/specs on anything of good quality at is 53" or touch smaller at 60" diag...appreciate it.
techlogik is offline  
post #6734 of 6746 Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Newbie
 
EVPlus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Hey guys, got a pickle. So have 53" of width to work with. Newer 55" have such thin bezels and sit much lower than my current Vizio xvt553SV model with wider frame, that just makes it in the space, the space/gap and look is pretty anemic with a new Samsung I just got. Which I'm not real impressed with, whole other story. Although the World thinks it is supposed to be amazing, somewhat it is, but the JU7100 isn't all that special, and the small frame size looks silly in my custom built in now.

I would really like to get a 60" in the space. The narrowest I've found that would fit is the LG60UF8500 at 52.9" that has just some out. It would be touching the walls pretty much when perpendicular or really have like .1" gap. But would fit.

I've found a few other sets, closest at 53.1" width. Think that was a 1080p LG also. But I can't find any other brand that can make the 53" or narrower width than this. Most are at around 53.5-53.7" width and don't think it would make it without being angled and looking stupid.

I know...either live with a better quality smaller 55", or find another one with a larger framing of the actual picture to fit the space. Gotta wife to please as well and can't take a wrecking ball to my custom cabinets...haha

Anybody got some ideas/specs on anything of good quality at is 53" or touch smaller at 60" diag...appreciate it.
Panasonic and Toshiba both had 58" 4k tvs that are ~52" wide in 2014. I never saw either one in a store. I thought the 65" panasonic looked decent but it was a very limited viewing. I have no clue how easier it would be to find either of them.
EVPlus is offline  
post #6735 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
Newbie
 
zeusmontes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

We bought a new house and am looking for a new TV for the living room. There is no rush but obviously 'want' something now. Also not a huge fan of curved TVs but am open to it if compelled.

1. Budget - $5k
2. Seating distance - 15 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - None, I can wall mount or place on a stand
4. Uses and sources - Mostly DirecTV but occasionally Netflix and Gaming/Movies via a PS4
5. Room lighting - One wall to the right of the TV is all glass. I can control light in the room if needed with curtains but prefer to see the view outside.

I have my eyes set on the Samsung UN75JU7100 but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
zeusmontes is offline  
post #6736 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusmontes View Post
I have my eyes set on the Samsung UN75JU7100 but any advice is appreciated.
Good choice.

For me it would be between that and the Sony 75X850C in that price range.

Both the JU7100 and X850C have been reviewed by rtings.com. Depending on your priorities they are both good choices.

I would also compare them both in person.
dalto is online now  
post #6737 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
Newbie
 
zeusmontes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

Both the JU7100 and X850C have been reviewed by rtings.com.
Thank you for the input. rtings.com is what was driving me to the JU7100 but I don't have a store near me that has either for me to see them in person. That's what drove me here. I also can bump the budget up a bit (~$1k) and not feel overly guilty if there is something better I should consider.
zeusmontes is offline  
post #6738 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
Member
 
IronWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the "help me choose an LCD" thread

I could use some input.

I keep going back and forth between these two:

Sony (2014) XBR850B (70"): $3,000
Sony (2015) XBR850C (65"): $2,600



My current setup & usage:
Seated 9' from 55" 1080p Samsung.
40% Xfinity X1 (DVR/On-Demand; no sports)
25% Streaming (Netflix/HBO using Apple TV 3)
25% Blu-ray (using Oppo 93, so I'll rely on the TV's 5k upscaling)
10% as monitor for my Mac mini (and infrequent Xbox 360)

To accommodate a larger screen, due to room specifics I'll have to wall mount the set about two feet further back than it currently is, so I am looking at using a mount that will provide more flexibility and allow the TV to jut forward some when used (as ell as tweaking my room's seating layout). Either way, going by Rtings I should be looking at a 75" set but based on my budgets I cannot justify $4,500-5,000.

I don't plan on upgrading to Netflix 4k. Supposedly Comcast is adding a fair amount of on-demand 4k later this year, so it'll mostly be upscaling for now. My current set is 5.5 years old. My main reason for going 4k now is so this may last as long (or a touch longer). I don't have to rush; this set, despite some panel flaws, chugs along well enough.

Last edited by IronWaffle; Yesterday at 12:15 PM.
IronWaffle is online now  
post #6739 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusmontes View Post
Thank you for the input. rtings.com is what was driving me to the JU7100 but I don't have a store near me that has either for me to see them in person. That's what drove me here. I also can bump the budget up a bit (~$1k) and not feel overly guilty if there is something better I should consider.
At 75" an extra 1,000 does not get you much. I don't Samsungs JS8600 is out yet but it will be a lot more than an extra 1,000. Sony's 75X940C is $8,000.

I think you are looking at the right models.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
I could use some input.

I keep going back and forth between these two:

Sony (2014) XBR850B (70"): $3,000
Sony (2015) XBR850C (65"): $2,600
The 850C would be my choice.

VP9 decoding, Android TV, X1 processor, direct lit vs edge lit and Motionflow 960 vs 240. The only caveat I would have is that it is a very new TV and the Android TV is still missing some functionality. Updates are coming regularly but if you don't like early adopting it might be worthwhile to look elsewhere. Also, it does include 3d glasses, they need to be purchased separately.
IronWaffle likes this.
dalto is online now  
post #6740 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Member
 
IronWaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the "help me choose an LCD" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
At 75" an extra 1,000 does not get you much. I don't Samsungs JS8600 is out yet but it will be a lot more than an extra 1,000. Sony's 75X940C is $8,000.

I think you are looking at the right models.



The 850C would be my choice.

VP9 decoding, Android TV, X1 processor, direct lit vs edge lit and Motionflow 960 vs 240. The only caveat I would have is that it is a very new TV and the Android TV is still missing some functionality. Updates are coming regularly but if you don't like early adopting it might be worthwhile to look elsewhere. Also, it does include 3d glasses, they need to be purchased separately.
Thanks for the response. Question: is it 100% that the 65" is backlit? I keep seeing different info. If so, definitely a bonus.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking but at my distance, that extra 5" f real estate woud be nice. Either way it'll be quite a step up from my currently pretty low-end (even when it was new) 55".

I only own one 3D disc (Avengers) and while I have plenty of on-demand 3D offerings through HBO and Comcast it never got past novelty for me. I can see buying a couple pairs of glasses for kicks since they've gotten pretty cheap.

As to early adopting, I don't anticipate using the smart features so much. The universal "panel lottery" is what's annoying and waiting won't get around that issue.That's also why I'm buying it brick and mortar -- don't want to deal with shipping if I have to seek a replacement.

The only other contender I've seriously entertained is Samsung's 7100. Not a Samsung fan, though, after this current set (and a mediocre phone).

Last edited by IronWaffle; Yesterday at 12:29 PM.
IronWaffle is online now  
post #6741 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dalto,


Do you have an opinion on a 75" x850C plus Sonos playbar/sub vs a 79" X900b? I saw both at a Magnolia yesterday and the 900b had what appeared to be good video quality, even from the side.


Salesman did some video across all the TV's in the room to show banding, and blues, etc. to show how Sharp vs Samsung vs Sony vs LG handled things differently. He was a big Sony fan.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
At 75" an extra 1,000 does not get you much. I don't Samsungs JS8600 is out yet but it will be a lot more than an extra 1,000. Sony's 75X940C is $8,000.

I think you are looking at the right models.



The 850C would be my choice.

VP9 decoding, Android TV, X1 processor, direct lit vs edge lit and Motionflow 960 vs 240. The only caveat I would have is that it is a very new TV and the Android TV is still missing some functionality. Updates are coming regularly but if you don't like early adopting it might be worthwhile to look elsewhere. Also, it does include 3d glasses, they need to be purchased separately.
Gasol1 is offline  
post #6742 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
Thanks for the response. Question: is it 100% that the 65" is backlit? I keep seeing different info. If so, definitely a bonus.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking but at my distance, that extra 5" f real estate woud be nice. Either way it'll be quite a step up from my currently pretty low-end (even when it was new) 55".

I only own one 3D disc (Avengers) and while I have plenty of on-demand 3D offerings through HBO and Comcast it never got past novelty for me. I can see buying a couple pairs of glasses for kicks since they've gotten pretty cheap.

As to early adopting, I don't anticipate using the smart features so much. The universal "panel lottery" is what's annoying and waiting won't get around that issue.That's also why I'm buying it brick and mortar -- don't want to deal with shipping if I have to seek a replacement.

The only other contender I've seriously entertained is Samsung's 7100. Not a Samsung fan, though, after this current set (and a mediocre phone).
As for the backlit I have not checked personally. The specs from sony say it is direct lit. One forum member reported that he felt the back of the TV for the heat generated by the LEDs and that it was spread all over the back.

The Samsung 65JS8500 just dropped to 2,999. At that price it is worth a look. I would say a step up in some regards compared to the X850 line. At the very least it has support for HDR and better blacks due to the fact that it has local dimming. It is more comparable to the X930C which is still quite a bit more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasol1 View Post
Do you have an opinion on a 75" x850C plus Sonos playbar/sub vs a 79" X900b? I saw both at a Magnolia yesterday and the 900b had what appeared to be good video quality, even from the side.
I have never done a side-by-side on the audio but I suspect the Sonos playbar + sub would sound better than X900B.

Video wise that is a tougher call. The 79X900B is 4" larger, has local dimming and an IPS panel. The 79X850C has VP9 decoding, Android TV and a VA panel. I have seen these side by side in a bright showroom and the 79X900B looks better. I have never seen the 79X900B in a dark room and so can't comment on the black levels. The IPS panel will give it wider viewing angles. For me it would depend on price and seeing it in a dark room. I would probably have trouble passing on the 79X900B if price were similar.
IronWaffle likes this.
dalto is online now  
post #6743 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for your thoughts. I agree after seeing them side by side during the day - the x900B is overall more impressive. The ease of use for my wife/kids on the audio pushes it over the top, and I've seen it for $5500 here and there, about the same as a nice 75" and playbar/sub.


We don't watch many movies in the dark, and a wide angle would be nice for us.


Now to figure out the 65"/70" for another part of the great room/kitchen, living room and master bedroom TV's!




Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I have never done a side-by-side on the audio but I suspect the Sonos playbar + sub would sound better than X900B.

Video wise that is a tougher call. The 79X900B is 4" larger, has local dimming and an IPS panel. The 79X850C has VP9 decoding, Android TV and a VA panel. I have seen these side by side in a bright showroom and the 79X900B looks better. I have never seen the 79X900B in a dark room and so can't comment on the black levels. The IPS panel will give it wider viewing angles. For me it would depend on price and seeing it in a dark room. I would probably have trouble passing on the 79X900B if price were similar.
Gasol1 is offline  
post #6744 of 6746 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide whether I should purchase the Sony 55x850c, currently at $1600 or perhaps spend a bit more and go with the Samsung 8500 which is now at $1999.

I am leaning towards the Sony, and I like the Android TV much better than the Tizen OS. But from what I've read the 8500 has a better picture overall.

Otherwise, I could always just wait too.

I definitely want to stick to 55" and $2k or less. Must be flat. Mostly TV watching with occasional movies.

Suggestions?
I had this EXACT dilemma yesterday and I ended up choosing..... a Vizio 2015 M Series.

I was at Best Buy in the Magnolia room and literally about to pull the trigger on a Sony 55x850c and I saw them setting up a new unit. It was the Vizio M55 C2 2015.

My heart told me otherwise, I could not logically say the Sony had a better picture quality. This Vizio was just out of the box, too. I was amazed (also remember I'm in the Magnolia dark room, so this is about as good a showroom comparison you'll get).

I love Sony as a brand, but I had to make a logical decision. A quick Google and I found it $50 cheaper at Walmart, and then bundled that with my 10% off coupon I was going to use either way. Price match and coupon later, I walked away with an $850 4k smart Tv, that looks equally as good as one I was about to drop $1500+ on.

Looking at the RTings review of the M Series, I feel better than ever that I took my "high end brand" goggles off and accepted a damn good quality display for just what it was.
Reebz is online now  
post #6745 of 6746 Old Today, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
baloo_btru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
I had this EXACT dilemma yesterday and I ended up choosing..... a Vizio 2015 M Series.

I was at Best Buy in the Magnolia room and literally about to pull the trigger on a Sony 55x850c and I saw them setting up a new unit. It was the Vizio M55 C2 2015.

My heart told me otherwise, I could not logically say the Sony had a better picture quality. This Vizio was just out of the box, too. I was amazed (also remember I'm in the Magnolia dark room, so this is about as good a showroom comparison you'll get).

I love Sony as a brand, but I had to make a logical decision. A quick Google and I found it $50 cheaper at Walmart, and then bundled that with my 10% off coupon I was going to use either way. Price match and coupon later, I walked away with an $850 4k smart Tv, that looks equally as good as one I was about to drop $1500+ on.

Looking at the RTings review of the M Series, I feel better than ever that I took my "high end brand" goggles off and accepted a damn good quality display for just what it was.
Thanks for your thoughts. As far as OS, what does the Vizio use? Android tv is a huge selling point to me personally. I'm willing to pay more for it - also I have to believe that the Sony does better upscaling than the Vizio, though I haven't compared side by side.

I'm also a Sony fanboy, so I'm probably going to get the 850c this weekend while the prices last. But I'll make sure to check out the Vizio M - I've heard nothing but good things about them.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
baloo_btru is offline  
post #6746 of 6746 Old Today, 11:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. As far as OS, what does the Vizio use? Android tv is a huge selling point to me personally. I'm willing to pay more for it - also I have to believe that the Sony does better upscaling than the Vizio, though I haven't compared side by side.

I'm also a Sony fanboy, so I'm probably going to get the 850c this weekend while the prices last. But I'll make sure to check out the Vizio M - I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Vizio uses a propriety OS. For me, I only need a minimal "Launch Netflix" type Smart TV OS, because I run most entertainment through my PS4.

Look at the RTings review on the Vizio M. It's better than the 850C in some respects, worse than others. Picture quality it was the same, and for me, that's good enough to save $900.
Reebz is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off