the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 226 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 6753 Old Today, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Budget: Up to $3,000 AUD (Prefer around $2,000 to $2,500).
Seating distance: About 3 to 3.5 meters.
Placement limitations: Will be using the included Stand and having it placed on a Credenza/tv cabinet.
Uses and sources: 2 dimensional video, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Bluray, PS2, Wii, (For Gamecube games) etc.
Number of users: Primarily 1 person, secondarily 2 people, rarely 3 to 4 people.
Room lighting: Dunno, 2x15~ watt cool white mini spiral fluro overhead with a diffuser together in a single ceiling fan?
Size of display: 50" to 60"
Requirements: Must feature 100hz interpolation or 200hz with blank frame insertion interpolation, must not be curved.

I'm primarily looking at Samsung displays because I have never owned a different brand of LCD TV or computer monitor (Except back in the CRT days [90's]). My current display is the Samsung LA46A650A1F display which is from 2006 and has started to act up (constantly rebooting as soon as I flick the power on on the wall outlet) so I'm looking to replace it. My parents have a Series 7 display that is about 1 to 2 years newer than mine.

I've noticed that my TV has 100hz interpolation while my parents has 200hz interpolation. I've also noticed that I much prefer the 100hz interpolation that my TV has as it retains a similar feel to the source material while the 200hz mode on the newer TV introduces the dreaded soap opera effect, I also assume the 200hz display is technically more prone to introducing 'obvious' artifacts because it is inserting more "fake/generated" frames between the source frames. I'm aware my TV's 100hz interpolation introduces a ton of artifacts when set to High but the motion smoothing it self, regardless of artifacts, is very similar to the source material which outweighs the negatives of artifacting.

I'm currently looking at the Samsung UA55JU6400W but I don't know if it does the Black Frame Insertion. LED Clear Motion is mentioned in the Manual with a clause that states " This function is not available on certain models in specific geographical areas.", which isn't helpful in letting me know if the JU6400 supports it or not lol.

Anyways, if you have suggestions of other brands, links to reviews of this TV model, want to share your opinion or something, please do. Any and all information you guys have on this display is appreciated. I can't find many reviews of this TV, there are a few reviews of the American JU6300 model and JU6500 model though (Neither of which are available in Australia).

tl;dr looking to get the Samsung UA55JU6400W display, provide feedback/opinions for me please.

Last edited by Franpa; Today at 04:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 6753 Old Today, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aejonesia View Post
Thoughts re the Samsung JS8500 v. JS7100 vs Sony 850C (or better choices in the $2300-$3000 range)? 65". Best Buy is so limited in ability to show different content/sources, I have a hard time comparing the sets. The upscaling on the Sony looked fantastic. The 8500 blew away a 7100 directly below it, but I think the latter must have been miscalibrated (or perhaps the 8500 is just that much better in black level. Another 7100 playing Pacific Rim on BluRay looked great, but not as good as the Sony (upscaling for an unknown source). Thank you.
My opinion is that with current pricing the Samsung JS8500 is the best 65" TV under $3,000.

The 8500/7100 that were directly above/below each other may have been playing HDR demo material. If so, that would explain the difference since the 7100 does not support HDR. At their current pricing I can't imagine ever buying the 65JU7100.

The Sony 65X850C is also a good TV. It has Android TV built-in, WCG support and a host of other great features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff View Post
Stuck between Sony XBR 65X930C @$4k and Sony XBR 65X950B @$5k open box.

I realize the 950B is the "better TV", but my main concern right now is the TV looking good watching sports and upconverted cable shows / netflix. Bluray/gaming use is minimal. Living room TV with decent amount of natural light.

Thoughts? Thanks!
My opinion is that the Sony X950B has the best picture quality of any LCD TV.

The only reason I don't recommend it more is because it is a carried forward 2014 model and will not support HDR. If you don't care about HDR support get the X950B.
post #6753 of 6753 Old Today, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys! We just moved from a house that had a fairly low lit living room where my 65" Panasonic Plasma looked great. Fortunately, and unfortunately, the new house has a LOT more ambient light and windows in our living room. With the 65 now slated for the basement movie/media room, I'm in the market for a new LCD tv. That said, I have been searching everywhere for thoughts on which screens were best and... well... I thought I'd ended up on the Samsung UN55JU7100... and I couldnt honestly tell you why.

Before I go overspending I wanted to get some valuable input from the gurus here, so... here's my factors:

- Budget $1,000 - $1,500
- Location - Living room/Den (with large wall of windows on one side of the screen placement.) Will be over Fireplace.
- Seating distance - 8-10 feet
- Placement limitations - Given the location over the fireplace, the maximum width of the set will have to be ~50".
- Uses - general tv watching. Will be in living room/den with minimal accessories attached other than perhaps an apple TV and Xfinity console.

While my better half will likely watch a LOT of Bravo (shudder)... I tend to watch a lot of sports and movies.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread