the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 227 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 50Likes
post #6781 of 6789 Unread Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcec View Post
get the Sony, has better upscaling.

Why not get the Samsung JS9500?
SEE the new review at Consumer Reports
It is the best TV now that has HDR

I guess you don't care about the new HDR 4K standard
which will be the standard for all 4k TVs in 2016 and beyond
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-tv-next-level
Thanks for the response! Well actually my next question was going to be whether it would be worth spending about $500 more and getting the 65" JS8500 which is SUHD and HDR ready. I don't know much about the technology to be honest, but I am partially limited because I wont have the ability to run a high speed HDMI cable from my Media Closet to the TV on the wall. I currently have a standard HDMI cable run only. TV is mounted on a Wall above a FirePlace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
They are pretty similar really. Any LCD in this price range is likely to be disappointing as far as black levels go if you are coming from plasma. You should probably go into it with the expectation that you will not get flawless blacks from an LCD in this price range.

The Sony has wide-color gamut support and Android TV, on the other hand the Samsung may have a slightly better black levels due to it's lightweight local dimming implementation. The Sony is direct lit vs the Samsung which is direct lit. The Sony is going through some teething problems due to it's newness and the brand new implementation of Android TV, while Samsung's Tizen is also fairly new it definitely is more stable at the moment.

Honestly, they are both good TVs and I think the issues you will have about panel uniformity on either will be more about the individual sample than the model as a whole.

The scalars and motion handling are definitely a bit different but which you prefer seems to be as much a matter of personal preference as anything else.

They were both rated on rtings.com and you should check those reviews out if you have not already.
Thanks so much for the reply! I suppose I would ask you the same question I asked above. worth springing for the JS8500 instead of the 2 I mentioned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6789 Unread Yesterday, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypter View Post
Thanks for the response! Well actually my next question was going to be whether it would be worth spending about $500 more and getting the 65" JS8500 which is SUHD and HDR ready. I don't know much about the technology to be honest, but I am partially limited because I wont have the ability to run a high speed HDMI cable from my Media Closet to the TV on the wall. I currently have a standard HDMI cable run only. TV is mounted on a Wall above a FirePlace.

Thanks so much for the reply! I suppose I would ask you the same question I asked above. worth springing for the JS8500 instead of the 2 I mentioned?
I know I probably sound like a broken record for those who regularly read this thread but I still believe that at current prices the 65JS8500 is the best 65" LCD TV under 3,000.

So...yes, I would spend the extra 400-500 for the 65JS8500. You will get better black levels, WCG and support for HDR over the 7100. That being said, the other two TVs are not bad choices.

Also, without a high speed cable you won't be able to watch UHD or HDR content unless you stream it. How tight it the cable, if you pull it does it move on the other end? If so you may be able to tie a pull to it and pull it back through the wall, then pull the new cable through the other side. Just make sure there is no way the pull can come loose.
Crypter likes this.
post #6783 of 6789 Unread Yesterday, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I know I probably sound like a broken record for those who regularly read this thread but I still believe that at current prices the 65JS8500 is the best 65" LCD TV under 3,000.

So...yes, I would spend the extra 400-500 for the 65JS8500. You will get better black levels, WCG and support for HDR over the 7100. That being said, the other two TVs are not bad choices.

Also, without a high speed cable you won't be able to watch UHD or HDR content unless you stream it. How tight it the cable, if you pull it does it move on the other end? If so you may be able to tie a pull to it and pull it back through the wall, then pull the new cable through the other side. Just make sure there is no way the pull can come loose.
Thanks, yea streaming was going to be my only viable option for now, until I deem it necessary to tear apart my wall . Well, also DirecTV 4K since we have a Genie and this unit is DirecTV 4K ready also. So there is that.
post #6784 of 6789 Unread Yesterday, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks, yea streaming was going to be my only viable option for now, until I deem it necessary to tear apart my wall . Well, also DirecTV 4K since we have a Genie and this unit is DirecTV 4K ready also. So there is that.
First of all 4k is way over hyped and 4k standards are still evolving.
The current 4k TVs will be obsolete next year.
Only the Sony 930/40 C and the Samsung JS9500 meet the new standards.

It will be 5 years before there is 10% of the total content in 4k.
http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/

I would skip those 4k TVs for now and get a good 1080p for much less money
and it will be fine for the next 5 years and keep your current cable.

If you have extra money to spend, then great get a new 4k TV every year that is the latest thing.
It will only cost you 2-3k a year to have the latest technology.

If you wait a year the new TV that is so great today will cost half what it does now.

Video - Samsung PN60F8500, PN50C7000, Samsung BD-P3600 Blu Ray, Apple TV2
Sound - Yamaha RX-V377, Monoprice 108247, Bose Quietcomfort 15
Bought and Returned - HU8550, LG EC9300, Oppo 103D, Sony MDR-HW700DS Headphones

Last edited by jgcec; Yesterday at 07:00 PM.
post #6785 of 6789 Unread Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
Budget: ~$1000
Seating distance: 7-8 feet
Placement limitations: Mounted on wall
Uses and sources: Direct TV, Netflix, DVD (we are not gamers)
Number of users:
Room lighting: bright
Size of display: 55" to 60"
Requirements; pretty much looking for the best panel I can get for the budget. I don't care if its last years model, I'd even consider a factory refurb if it has a warranty. I really like the look of the bezel-less display. Smart TV interface is also important.

I was originally looking at only 1080, but went into Best Buy today and they "pushed" two lower end 4K models (Samsung UN55JU6500 and Sony XBR-55X850B). Those can be had for just over $1k. But, the more research I do, the more confusing it is. BB also "discouraged" Vizio & LG (of which I read decent reviews). More confusion.

My list of candidates:
LG
55LB7200
60LB5900

Sony
KDL55W800B
KDL60W850B
4k XBR-55X850B

VIZIO
M552i-B2
M602i-B3

Samsung
UN55H6350
UN55H6400
UN55H6350
UN55H7150

Can anyone point me in a direction? Any & all suggestions welcome. TIA
Wow. That's a big list. From what I've seen the 55X850B is one of the best LCDs in that price range. Avoid Vizio. They have a terrible failure rate and don't have as good of a picture as something from Samsung, Sony or LG.

Also, a 55" or 60" at 7-8 feet is going to be HUGE. I have a 55" at 10 feet and it's almost too big. I'd say a 42" to 46" is better suited for that distance.
post #6786 of 6789 Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quote:

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/

If you have extra money to spend, then great get a new 4k TV every year that is the latest thing.
It will only cost you 2-3k a year to have the latest technology.

If you wait a year the new TV that is so great today will cost half what it does now.

What does the JS9500 have that the JS8500 does not?
post #6787 of 6789 Unread Yesterday, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

When you say obsolete, what exactly are you saying? Will the picture just not be as good as the new HDR tv's? Wouldn't that be the case every year when a new TV came out? If I buy a Samsung JU7100 this year, the picture is really good for a non theater room tv and it should be fine for a tleast 5-10 years even if it doesn't have HDR correct?

I need to buy a new TV because I currently sit about 14 feet away from a 55inch. I need to upgrade to a 75
post #6788 of 6789 Unread Yesterday, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
Also, a 55" or 60" at 7-8 feet is going to be HUGE. I have a 55" at 10 feet and it's almost too big. I'd say a 42" to 46" is better suited for that distance.
It is somewhat subjective. I have a 55" at 12ft and find it to be tiny.

Quote:
What does the JS9500 have that the JS8500 does not?
FALD(Full Array Local Dimming) with a lot of zones and 1000 nits peak brightness result in much greater effective contrast. It is also curved and comes with a full one-connect box. However, the JS8500/JS9000 are also HDR capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strobel View Post
When you say obsolete, what exactly are you saying? Will the picture just not be as good as the new HDR tv's? Wouldn't that be the case every year when a new TV came out? If I buy a Samsung JU7100 this year, the picture is really good for a non theater room tv and it should be fine for a tleast 5-10 years even if it doesn't have HDR correct?

I need to buy a new TV because I currently sit about 14 feet away from a 55inch. I need to upgrade to a 75
I think what you are saying is pretty much correct.

The difference is that right now is a time with an abnormally high rate of change in TV technology. New technology like HDR/WCG/HFR and the higher resolutions are all coming together in what is going to be the future. For someone like you is primarily concerned with broadcast television and sports it will be a while until those technologies make there way there. If you told me your primary use was watching movies I would say stepping up into HDR is probably worth it as the content will be there sooner.
post #6789 of 6789 Unread Today, 09:23 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks again for all the insights. I applied the rtings.com settings and it's a definite improvement. Prior to calibration, light and backgrounds like walls actually sparkled, even with 4K. The rtings settings definitely cured that. It would be nice if the Sony manual explained what some of the settings, like "Reality Creation" do.

The only real issue I continue to have with the TV is jumping/skipping on cable content. It's been observed on multiple channels. Watching SportsCenter, I can't even read the scrolling messages on the bottom. Perhaps an issue has developed with the X1 box, but I definitely wasn't experiencing it with my other TV.

The discussions re obsolescence over HDR are concerning. That, plus the skipping cable images is enough for me to box up the Sony to try the JS8500, although I've read owner reviews of the JS8500 having the same complaints regarding cable programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread