the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 229 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #6841 of 6864 Old 06-17-2015, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Up to $2500
11 feet
No size limitations (want 65" min)
Uverse and blue Ray movies, some streaming (not sold on 4k)

Well, I have just restled control of our den back from its former duty as my wife's office. The room is 13 x 16 and will only be used for TV going forward. There is low to moderate light but that can be controlled easily. I really think I can live without 4k and will likely by another TV in a few years when OLED becomes more within my reach for a big screen. PQ is more important to me than size( I seem to have my wife convinced there are more important things than size so she agrees). If I knew anything I would have done this a year ago and grabbed a plasma, but sadly that opportunity seems to be past. I am pulling my hair out trying to decide and going to the stores and dealing with the 4k pushers is only making things worse. Please help!

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6864 Old 06-17-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFMont View Post
Up to $2500
11 feet
No size limitations (want 65" min)
Uverse and blue Ray movies, some streaming (not sold on 4k)

Well, I have just restled control of our den back from its former duty as my wife's office. The room is 13 x 16 and will only be used for TV going forward. There is low to moderate light but that can be controlled easily. I really think I can live without 4k and will likely by another TV in a few years when OLED becomes more within my reach for a big screen. PQ is more important to me than size( I seem to have my wife convinced there are more important things than size so she agrees). If I knew anything I would have done this a year ago and grabbed a plasma, but sadly that opportunity seems to be past. I am pulling my hair out trying to decide and going to the stores and dealing with the 4k pushers is only making things worse. Please help!

Thanks so much.
BTW I am in the NE USA if that matters
post #6843 of 6864 Old 06-17-2015, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post
I thought I'd give this thread a shot.

Last TV I purchased was about 10 years ago (52" Sharp Aquos). I know what I want feature wise as a replacement, but haven't kept up enough to know who offers what I want.

1. Budget: ~$1500 or less
2. Seating distance: head-to-screen = ~ 12 ft
3. Size/placement limitations: 70" max
4. Uses and sources: Movies/streaming only. Don't watch sports. Don't watch broadcast TV.
5. Room lighting: Medium to moderately dark (small western window and large northern window only)

Consideration:
I don't care for 4K or 3D. I don't care for a smart TV as I already run an HTPC/Media server and plan on continue using it. The TV is basically going to be a monitor for me, so all I really care about is picture quality.
99% of the viewing is by 1 or 2 people only, so side viewing angles don't really matter.

Thanks!
My requirements are pretty much the same except for the Room lighting. I will be using this in the family room which will be bright during the day. Thanks in advance.
post #6844 of 6864 Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello I'm hoping I can get some good insight from some of you pro's out there as I've been going through all of the BS spec's that companies put out and it's begining to make my head spin.

1. Between 1.5-2k. I would prefer to spend 1500 or less, but if it makes a huge difference will be willing to go to 2000.
2. 2-4 Feet
3.It's going to be on a desk facing the corner of my room, Can't be larger than 45" length wise so that means most TV's with a diagonal of 50" and below should fit. I am only interested in 4k screens.
4. This will only be connected to my PC and will be used primarily for gaming and some HD streaming and graphic design work. So a low input lag will be important. I think a screen with a input lag of 30-40 ms will be tolerable.
5. My room doesn't pick up light except in the early morning. The walls are painted a dark red so glare is not an issue.

So I want a 4k screen because I will be very close to it when i game. I would like something with a native 60hz or higher so that I can take advantage of game frame rates up to 60 fps. I find curved screens to be aesthetically pleasing. I don't like screens that cause light halo's, are visibly edge lit, or bleed. I also prefer a dark screen with true blacks. I am probably asking for too much for my price, but I just would like to see what my best option is. Thank you.
post #6845 of 6864 Old 06-19-2015, 08:51 AM

1080p or 4k?

1. Budget 2500
2. Seating distance 8-9 feet
3. Size/placement limitations 70+ is what I am looking at
4. Uses and sources general TV, gaming, movies
5. Room lighting dark

So I currently have a 58 inch plasma in this space that I am wanting to move to another room. Right now in this room I am looking to add size as much as anything. I have concerns with dropping large sums on any of the higher end 4k TVs with what appears to be standards still heavily in flux with 4k

So what to do, grab a 4k vizio/sharp as a semi hold over TV till the dust settles on 4k or save a little more and grab a 1080p set on sale?
post #6846 of 6864 Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been waiting for the Sony 75x910c to ship, and it's going to be at least August, so opening things up to this thread to see if anyone has other ideas. Seems oddly hard to find a 75"+ flat TV that isn't 5" thick or kind of lower-end at the moment. I currently have a Samsung 65HU8550 that is both too small for my room setup and got scratched during a renovation.

Details on the setup below.

Hard requirements:
* Must pass surround from HDMI sources out through optical to sonos
* Wall-mountable, preferably thin-ish or better
* At least 75"
* 4k streaming-capable

1. Budget: No limit. Find me an ultra-high end TV that works given all the constraints and I'll still be happy.

2. Seating distance: 12-16' It's a big, high-ceiling room (20x20, 14' ceilings) with a big wrap-around U-shaped sectional

3. Size/placement limitations: Wall-mounted - I have in-wall cable routing and such for a super minimalist setup, so a thicker TV will not look right. Sonos soundbar mounted below, sonos sub and play:1s around the room for surround. Imagine an art gallery - white walls, stark, and you've got the right idea.

4. Uses and sources: All my equipment is in another room, HDMI over Cat6 via HDbaseT, URC RF remote. DirecTV, PS4 over said HDMI, Netflix, Amazon, Plex using apps currently. TV and movies, no computer usage.

5. Room lighting: BRIGHT. Opposing wall is all window, left wall is all window, everything is white and reflective. I have floor to ceiling curtains that can be closed to minimize direct light, but it doesn't get *that* dark.

Reasons the Sony XBR-75x910C was so far my choice:
* Thin, flush wall mount included
* Passes HDMI-input surround to Sonos (current Sammy 8550 does not)
* PS4 remote play would help a more minor issue
* Android TV is attractive to me
post #6847 of 6864 Old 06-21-2015, 08:12 PM

Question Questions about two 4k TV sets.

Hey all accidently posted this in the wrong area so been directed here. hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions i have.
I'm looking to get a new TV to use as a PC gaming monitor. Currently im using a Sapphire 7970 ghz gpu but will be upgrading to an aftermarket 980ti witch has hdmi 2.0. and have a few questions regarding these two tvs (PANASONIC VIERA TX40CX400B & Samsung UE40JU6400) my budget is 600 pounds

1: Will they support 4k@60hz(60fps)
2: Will they support 4:4:4 chrome?
3:,Witch one has the lowest input lag?
4: will my current graphics card work with them on a normal hdmi connection?
5: Is it possible to run a res lower then 4k when hooked up to a PC

thanks .
post #6848 of 6864 Old 06-22-2015, 09:12 AM

We were able to get my massive old Mitsubishi 1080i RPTV down in the basement in one piece, so looking for a new UHD TV, yay :-)

1. Budget: ~$1500 or less
2. Seating distance: head-to-screen = ~ 10-12 ft
3. Size/placement limitations: want 60" or settle for 55" minimum on stand, super thin not important, no curve
4. Uses and sources: Movies(bluray, want great 1080p upscaling), streaming (usually netflix), sports, broadcast TV. Currently ATT Uverse.
5. Room lighting: 3 windows face SW, lots of light in the afternoon

Want 4K/UHD. Like the Sony androidTV builtin option so hopefully will likely get any new services and updates more quickly. Like the Vizio M60 price, podcast guys seem to like Vizio. Samsung UN55JU6500 seems to be the low cost option at the stores. Not sure about LG yet, best reviews on amz. What do you recommend?
post #6849 of 6864 Old 06-23-2015, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Need help

Just bought a XBR70X85B this past weekend for $2499 brand new. Just went to local best buy and they have a open box (was the magnolia demo TV) of the XBR65x900B. For $1699. Am I better off with the 900b and geek squad for 5 years for under $2000 or stick with the extra 5 inches of the 850B. Will I notice that much difference in the 900. Please help
post #6850 of 6864 Old 06-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wb0red View Post
Been waiting for the Sony 75x910c to ship, and it's going to be at least August, so opening things up to this thread to see if anyone has other ideas. Seems oddly hard to find a 75"+ flat TV that isn't 5" thick or kind of lower-end at the moment. I currently have a Samsung 65HU8550 that is both too small for my room setup and got scratched during a renovation.

Details on the setup below.

Hard requirements:
* Must pass surround from HDMI sources out through optical to sonos
* Wall-mountable, preferably thin-ish or better
* At least 75"
* 4k streaming-capable

1. Budget: No limit. Find me an ultra-high end TV that works given all the constraints and I'll still be happy.

2. Seating distance: 12-16' It's a big, high-ceiling room (20x20, 14' ceilings) with a big wrap-around U-shaped sectional

3. Size/placement limitations: Wall-mounted - I have in-wall cable routing and such for a super minimalist setup, so a thicker TV will not look right. Sonos soundbar mounted below, sonos sub and play:1s around the room for surround. Imagine an art gallery - white walls, stark, and you've got the right idea.

4. Uses and sources: All my equipment is in another room, HDMI over Cat6 via HDbaseT, URC RF remote. DirecTV, PS4 over said HDMI, Netflix, Amazon, Plex using apps currently. TV and movies, no computer usage.

5. Room lighting: BRIGHT. Opposing wall is all window, left wall is all window, everything is white and reflective. I have floor to ceiling curtains that can be closed to minimize direct light, but it doesn't get *that* dark.

Reasons the Sony XBR-75x910C was so far my choice:
* Thin, flush wall mount included
* Passes HDMI-input surround to Sonos (current Sammy 8550 does not)
* PS4 remote play would help a more minor issue
* Android TV is attractive to me
I'm in a similar boat and have similar questions. Looking at Sony X850C, as well as Samsung JU7100 for a 75" screen. Wondering if its worth waiting for Sony 910C or Samsung JS8600, and which is really the best purchase of the four.. I have a large, but darkish room. Will be used mostly for Fios, but also for games/xbone one.

Thank you
post #6851 of 6864 Old 06-24-2015, 11:11 AM

My ~$500 swap plan:

Move living room tv (Samsung UN32F5500 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV) to bedroom, replacing crappy no-name 740 18" tv, and adding small sound bar if needed. [media in bedroom: over air TV and roku - no cable)

Upgrade living room tv to 40'-50" 1080p set with 3 HDMI inputs (roku, DB DVD, sound bar), connecting existing sound bar: Samsung HW-F450 2.1 Channel 280-Watt Soundbar [media in living room: BD DVD, over air TV, and roku - no cable)

I'd like to spend under $500 US on the 40'-50" 1080p set with 3 HDMI inputs. With this budget, either 4K or OLED are out of my range I think. Since I use Roku - a smart tv is not necessary.

So far looking at:

VIZIO E50-C1 50-Inch 1080p Smart LED HDTV

Amazon.com: VIZIO E50-C1 50-Inch 1080p Smart LED HDTV: Electronics

Samsung UN48H5500 48-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED TV (2014 Model)

Amazon.com: Samsung UN40H5500 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED TV (2014 Model): Electronics

Are there others? Is my price point too low? Thoughts?
post #6852 of 6864 Old 06-25-2015, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

So I am moving and can finally justify buying a new bigger screen TV.Looking for something around 55 inches and under $1,600. I've had my eye on the Sony XBR55X850C (which is at the very top of my budget) and the XBR55X800B ($1,300, I thought this one had the best picture) along with the Samsung UN55JU6500 ($1,100). 3D isn't a must but I wouldn't mind it... I checked out all of these TVs at Best Buy but of course I couldn't compare the same 4K material on each TV so that didn't help much. I will be using an Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, and I will soon be upgrading the GPU in my X51 to a GTX 970 for native 4k content. What are the advantages of curved TVs?

Also I would like a TV with the least amount of input lag. Thanks!
post #6853 of 6864 Old 06-25-2015, 11:52 AM

hello all. Could really use advice on 3 Tv's at Costco. I'm a novice for the most part when it comes to audio/video components. Although I do know a little. Anyway, I've had a 42" Visio plasma from 2006, and its on its last leg...literally. Looking to make this purchase this weekend.

I already have my 42" vizio on a peerless wall mount. Te mount will fit up to 63" Tv's. So I would more than likely keep this mount and just put the new tv on it.

My 3 choices at Costco are the following :
1) VIZIO E60-C3 (60") - $779
2) SAMSUNG UN60J620D (60") - $850
3) LG 60LF6090 (60") - $800

1. Budget
<$1,000
2. Seating distance
7-10 ft
3. Size/placement limitations
60 inch
4. Uses and sources
A little bit of everything but in order of importance:
1. SPORTS - college and NFL football , etc..
2. MOVIES....BLUE-RAY
3. SOME PS3
4. GENERAL TV WATCHING
5. Room lighting
Dim..dark room for the most part.

Any opinions are welcome.....perhaps another place to buy that would be a better deal, but I figured Costco since I have membership and they typically have decent deals.

Thanks
post #6854 of 6864 Unread 06-26-2015, 05:01 PM

Ill give this a try..

Budget: ~$1000-ish
Seating distance: 12-13 feet
Placement limitations: None. Can be wall mounted or on stand
Uses and sources: FiOS TV, Wii (kids), Pioneer Elite Blue Ray BDP-05FD - Pioneer E;ite SC-05,
Number of users: Wife/kids and the most important ME!
Room lighting: DARK. TV mostly used at night. In basement.
Size of display: 55+
Requirements:

I am replacing my Samsung DLP-6163W. Its about time...yeah yeah. Color wheel finally is frying itself. I typically use it for Blue Ray movies (action) and HD movies using FIOS (and Walking Dead), motorcycle racing. I am starting to get interested in streaming but havent even looked into it yet. I do take GoPro video's and view them through my computer..

What I do not see is a lot of respondes in this thread..Am I in the wrong place?

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there. And where you are, aint no good unless you can get away from it.
post #6855 of 6864 Unread 06-27-2015, 01:44 AM

lol im wondering the same thing. no one has answered me yet. I ended up looking elsewhere.but still come back to check. no luck though
post #6856 of 6864 Unread 06-27-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
About all you can do is visit the threads for any TV your are considering.
Like you I've tried starting several threads trying to determine which TV has the best overall picture, and the response has been "Underwhelming", to say the least, so just visit the threads for the TVs you are interested in and BEWARE of "Fanboys"!!!!

Gary
post #6857 of 6864 Unread 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domjam View Post
lol im wondering the same thing. no one has answered me yet. I ended up looking elsewhere.but still come back to check. no luck though
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959Dodge View Post
About all you can do is visit the threads for any TV your are considering.
Like you I've tried starting several threads trying to determine which TV has the best overall picture, and the response has been "Underwhelming", to say the least, so just visit the threads for the TVs you are interested in and BEWARE of "Fanboys"!!!!

Gary
Yeah..Ive been a member for a while and there are always fanboys everywhere. The thing about this website is that it is HUGE and TONS of GREAT information. Its absolutely mind boggling which leads to more and more confusion.. Its hard for any person to jump into a field covered by people who have a vast knowledge of the topic at hand..Information that people have as "common knowledge"..isnt common for everyone..This place has opened my eyes and I am learining a lot. But there is always more..

UGH!

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there. And where you are, aint no good unless you can get away from it.
post #6858 of 6864 Unread 06-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo9710 View Post
Ill give this a try..

Budget: ~$1000-ish
Placement limitations: None. Can be wall mounted or on stand
Uses and sources: FiOS TV, Wii (kids), Pioneer Elite Blue Ray BDP-05FD - Pioneer E;ite SC-05,
Number of users: Wife/kids and the most important ME!
Room lighting: DARK. TV mostly used at night. In basement.
Size of display: 55+
Requirements:

I am replacing my Samsung DLP-6163W. Its about time...yeah yeah. Color wheel finally is frying itself. I typically use it for Blue Ray movies (action) and HD movies using FIOS (and Walking Dead), motorcycle racing. I am starting to get interested in streaming but havent even looked into it yet. I do take GoPro video's and view them through my computer..

What I do not see is a lot of respondes in this thread..Am I in the wrong place?
How firm is your budget? Most(all?) of the 55's in sub-$1000 range will have 60Hz panels.

In the 1300-1600 range there are some really nice sets.

In the sub-$1000 range the best 55 UHD TV is probably the Vizio 55" M-series at $949.
post #6859 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 10:17 AM

City: Chicago
Budget: 1000-2000
Placement limitations: Wall mount (sanus vmdd26s)
Uses and sources: DIRECTV, console gaming, dvds/bluray, netflix, amp with 5.1 surround sound
Number of users: Me, my girlfriend, my roommate
Room lighting: Well lit during the day, good overhead lighting. Also dark at night for movies
Size of display: 50-55" (media center with wall in middle ~44" wide. TV can be slightly wider than 44")

I just moved into a new apartment and the previous tenant left a Sanus MVDD26 wall mount. I currently have an old 32" tv, but am looking for a tv that fits on the Sanus mount. I like to watch sports, movies, tv shows, but I also do some gaming as well. The room has in-wall wiring for a 5.1 setup that I will be getting speakers for as well.
post #6860 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo9710 View Post
Yeah..Ive been a member for a while and there are always fanboys everywhere. The thing about this website is that it is HUGE and TONS of GREAT information. Its absolutely mind boggling which leads to more and more confusion.. Its hard for any person to jump into a field covered by people who have a vast knowledge of the topic at hand..Information that people have as "common knowledge"..isnt common for everyone..This place has opened my eyes and I am learining a lot. But there is always more..

UGH!
Its just that I'm totally new to the Whole 4k tv as a monitor thing. I'v been at this for nearly a week now learning from scratch and would just like some more solid advice from people that have experience..but as it stands I seem to of narrowed it down to 2 so far I'm drawn towards either the LG49UB8500V or the SAMSUNG UE40JU6400 but im still undecided mainly due to the fact of input lag. untill now I never new about this. The lag has about 60ms on the LG were as the samsung is around 38ms acording to input lag test database, and I'm not sure how badly this ms will effect real game performance. both from what I can find on the net support 4:4:4 crome,HDMI2.0 4k@60hz I like the bigger screen but lg seems to have alot of problems allso so yea im still :S

Last edited by Domjam; Yesterday at 10:37 AM.
post #6861 of 6864 Unread Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Need Help Choosing!!

Hi all, hope you are having a nice weekend! I am in the market for a new tv for my room and I am looking into something in the 40"-46" range. I have been looking into the Vizio M43-C1 for the most part. I will be roughly 10.5 ft from the screen and I will be using it for gaming on PS3 and PS4, watching sports (hockey, football, mma etc.). I will also be watching blu ray movies and streaming netflix, hulu, wwe network and ufc tv. I do also have directv so I will be watching tv and movies from there. My budget is $1000. Room lighting is dark. Placement will be mounted on wall that is at foot of bed. I obviously want the best picture quality possible and as little motion blur and judder as possible. I appreciate any and all help and recommendations. Thanks

Last edited by mayala03; Yesterday at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forgot some details
post #6862 of 6864 Unread Today, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am so torn between Samsung JS7500 and JS8500, which one would you suggest and why? Thanks!
post #6863 of 6864 Unread Today, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domjam View Post
The lag has about 60ms on the LG were as the samsung is around 38ms acording to input lag test database, and I'm not sure how badly this ms will effect real game performance. both from what I can find on the net support 4:4:4 crome,HDMI2.0 4k@60hz I like the bigger screen but lg seems to have alot of problems allso so yea im still :S
*Most* people will find anything under 40ms acceptable. Depending on the type of games you play 60ms may or may not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayala03 View Post
Hi all, hope you are having a nice weekend! I am in the market for a new tv for my room and I am looking into something in the 40"-46" range. I have been looking into the Vizio M43-C1 for the most part. I will be roughly 10.5 ft from the screen and I will be using it for gaming on PS3 and PS4, watching sports (hockey, football, mma etc.). I will also be watching blu ray movies and streaming netflix, hulu, wwe network and ufc tv. I do also have directv so I will be watching tv and movies from there. My budget is $1000. Room lighting is dark. Placement will be mounted on wall that is at foot of bed. I obviously want the best picture quality possible and as little motion blur and judder as possible. I appreciate any and all help and recommendations. Thanks
I would consider the Samsung 40JU7100. The Vizio only has a 60Hz panel at that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaka View Post
I am so torn between Samsung JS7500 and JS8500, which one would you suggest and why? Thanks!
Unless you have a bias towards a curved TV the JS8500 is a better choice. It adds WCG, HDR support and more effective local dimming over the JU7500.
ramaka likes this.
post #6864 of 6864 Unread Today, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks again, dalto, now patiently waiting for a good deal on JS8500
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page