the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 230 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #6871 of 6883 Old 07-02-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks again Dalto. I've never been on the cutting edge before, so I guess I can't start when it's cost prohibitive as well.

I was just reading a negative review of the W800C, and a Sony person replied saying that you had to make sure to "have the latest firmware version installed for better performance." What does this mean? Do you have to connect the computer to the internet to achieve this, or is it something that has to be done by a repair person? I don't have the internet at home, so I guess I'm out of the loop on how these internet-connected sets work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 6883 Old 07-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenshaw View Post
Thanks again Dalto. I've never been on the cutting edge before, so I guess I can't start when it's cost prohibitive as well.

I was just reading a negative review of the W800C, and a Sony person replied saying that you had to make sure to "have the latest firmware version installed for better performance." What does this mean? Do you have to connect the computer to the internet to achieve this, or is it something that has to be done by a repair person? I don't have the internet at home, so I guess I'm out of the loop on how these internet-connected sets work.
Yes, you typically connect to the internet and TV downloads the new firmware. Alternatively, you can also download the software somewhere else and put it on a USB stick. Then insert the usb drive into your TV and do the update that way.

Honestly, if you don't have internet at the house I would seriously consider getting last years "B" model. The 2015 TVs are Android based and getting large updates frequently due to the newness of the software.
post #6873 of 6883 Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
The X830C is not a terrible set in the absolute sense but it has an IPS panel with a pretty poor contrast ratio. If you want a UHD set I believe there are better options from other manufacturers.

The need for a UHD/4K set in 2015 is highly debated. Content is already starting to be available via streaming services and we are expecting UHD BD to be available later this year. There is more than just resolution to UHD though. Wider color gamuts, high dynamic range processing and support for high frame rate content is also coming. TVs that support all of these features are currently priced quite high.

My advice is to wait to buy into the UHD ecosystem unless you like being on the cutting edge. Less expensive TVs that support all facets of the new technology should be widely available in a couple of years.
I agree at this size and smaller I think its less of a big deal to move to UHD. Its going to be a while until content providers figure out how to utilize these new features.

remember back to early DVDs and how much that stuff changed. Players had issues with certain movies firmware changes had to happen a lot.

At a 70 and above size its a tougher choice. I think the manufactures are really pushing anyone hard to 4k in that size.
post #6874 of 6883 Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
The 2015 TVs are Android based and getting large updates frequently due to the newness of the software.
What do these firmware updates address? Is it just "smart" features of the TV that they add or improve, or do they improve picture? I read something within the past couple days about a picture issue with one model being fixed by a firmware update, but that may be incorrect.
post #6875 of 6883 Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenshaw View Post
What do these firmware updates address? Is it just "smart" features of the TV that they add or improve, or do they improve picture? I read something within the past couple days about a picture issue with one model being fixed by a firmware update, but that may be incorrect.
They can fix software, picture or reliability issues. They can even introduce new features.
post #6876 of 6883 Old 07-03-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sony KDL-65W850B vs 850C

EDIT: OK, I read through some of the thread and realize that I missed something.

1. Budget
$1500-$2000. Will go up to $2200 with reason.

2. Seating distance
8'-11' depending on seat in the room.

3. Size/placement limitations
This room is bright during the day and there is not much to do about it. Luckily, at night it is fine and that's when I usually watch the TV. I have curtains and that tends to make viewing tolerable during the day.

4. Uses and sources
Sources are basically gaming systems. The newest being the PS4. I use that to do everything. Netflix, Amazon Prime, games, etc. It is just way easier to navigate than my smart TV (that is busted). We will be getting cable again from Comcast in 3-4 months.I need 4 HDMI inputs and 1 component and 1 composite. I need some sort of digital audio out to go to my receiver.

I game alot so input lag is a big deal to me.

5. Room lighting

Mentioned this already but during the day it is horribly bright due to windows and the reflections on the TV can get annoyingly bad. At night I have no issues.

EDIT END ------------

I posted this in it's own thread before seeing this.

I'll repost the contents here. It's esentially a question of get the 850B again or downgrade to a the 850C.

So:
Sony KDL-65W850B vs Sony KDL-65W850C

Of course, I might be missing a different make/model so let me know if there is another TV that I should consider.I think the big driver here is black levels.

------------------- ORIG POST ---------------
I need to get a new TV basically. It sucks because my old TV (KDL-60W850B) was 1 year old. The new TV is going to go up from a 60" to a 65".

1) I need low latency for gaming. 850B was great for gaming
2) I was highly satisfied with my W850B in every aspect
3) I used 3D once as I expected when buying it. I could care less for 3D.
4) I want to go 65" in my next model.
5) I want 4 HDMI ports and atleast one composite (or is it component?? .... the one with a single yellow video jack).
6) I want optical digital out to my TV. HDMI would also work but I prefer optical digital.
7) black levels. I love TVs with good black level reproduction. It's something I will pay more for within reason.
8) 4K means nothing to me.

Budget: $1500-$2000

EDIT: OK, the B suffix is superior to the C suffix.

Any non Sony TVs that I should consider?

Last edited by kherman227; 07-03-2015 at 07:15 PM.
post #6877 of 6883 Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 PM

Hi guys, I just bought a new surround sound system and was looking for a new Tv to go with it. I dont really know where to start so I'll fill in the template, let me know if theres anything I should add.

1. Budget
$1000 Canadian.

2. Seating distance
8'-10'

This room is in my basement so I have a decent amount of space to use. I was looking for the TV to be at least 50" tho as the one I am replacing is a 42" LG Plasma, which is about 10 years old now.

4. Uses and sources
I plan on using it for a bit of everything. I game a lot, mostly PS4,wiiU and xbox 360 but I also plan on using my plex server to watch my movies/Blu rays.

5. Room lighting
This room is in my basement so will be pretty dark for the most part. A very tiny window is on the other side of the room but will have the blinds closed most of the time.

Thanks for taking the time to read! Please keep in mind I am in Canada so I get shafted on a lot of prices.
post #6878 of 6883 Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman227 View Post
4. Uses and sources
Sources are basically gaming systems. The newest being the PS4. I use that to do everything. Netflix, Amazon Prime, games, etc. It is just way easier to navigate than my smart TV (that is busted). We will be getting cable again from Comcast in 3-4 months.I need 4 HDMI inputs and 1 component and 1 composite. I need some sort of digital audio out to go to my receiver.
Most of the 2015 TVs have a single input for composite and component. Finding a TV that can handle two different devices may be challenging or require some external switching.

Quote:
I game alot so input lag is a big deal to me.
Do you have a specific lag number in mind or is anything under 40ms acceptable?
Quote:
Any non Sony TVs that I should consider?
Vizio M-series and Samsung JU7100 are worth looking at. Both are 4K.

You might trying seeing what 2014 1080p TVs are still available in your area. There are not a lot of good 1080p TVs in 2015. The 65W850C is one of the best 2015 1080p sets IMO.

Honestly, you might have to call around but you should be able to find the Samsung 65JU7100 within your budget and that sounds like one of the better sets for you. Black levels are not going to be perfect on any set in this price range. Alternatively, if you are willing to try another 65W850B and can still find one in your area that might be a good choice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawnan View Post
Hi guys, I just bought a new surround sound system and was looking for a new Tv to go with it. I dont really know where to start so I'll fill in the template, let me know if theres anything I should add.

1. Budget
$1000 Canadian.

2. Seating distance
8'-10'

This room is in my basement so I have a decent amount of space to use. I was looking for the TV to be at least 50" tho as the one I am replacing is a 42" LG Plasma, which is about 10 years old now.

4. Uses and sources
I plan on using it for a bit of everything. I game a lot, mostly PS4,wiiU and xbox 360 but I also plan on using my plex server to watch my movies/Blu rays.

5. Room lighting
This room is in my basement so will be pretty dark for the most part. A very tiny window is on the other side of the room but will have the blinds closed most of the time.

Thanks for taking the time to read! Please keep in mind I am in Canada so I get shafted on a lot of prices.
Wow, you really do get shafted on some of those prices in ca. How about the Sony 50W800C?
post #6879 of 6883 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Most of the 2015 TVs have a single input for composite and component. Finding a TV that can handle two different devices may be challenging or require some external switching.

Do you have a specific lag number in mind or is anything under 40ms acceptable?
Vizio M-series and Samsung JU7100 are worth looking at. Both are 4K.

You might trying seeing what 2014 1080p TVs are still available in your area. There are not a lot of good 1080p TVs in 2015. The 65W850C is one of the best 2015 1080p sets IMO.

Honestly, you might have to call around but you should be able to find the Samsung 65JU7100 within your budget and that sounds like one of the better sets for you. Black levels are not going to be perfect on any set in this price range. Alternatively, if you are willing to try another 65W850B and can still find one in your area that might be a good choice too.

Wow, you really do get shafted on some of those prices in ca. How about the Sony 50W800C?

Ya, the 50W800C is the one I was looking at as well. It's "On sale" at best buy for only $999.99 lol but that seems like my best option.
post #6880 of 6883 Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi -

Hoping to buy a TV tomorrow.

Sit 8-10 ft away from TV. Primarily watch Plex, Netflix and Cable. Also game on Xbox One.

Currently have a Panny TC-46PGT24. Happy with the PQ. Ready to go up in size. Couldn't care less about 3D.

Leaning towards a 4k. My receiver won't support it but I figure it may be more "future proof". Have no qualms about sticking at 1080p for the right set.

Size. 55" - 60". Leaning towards 60.

Budget. $1300-1500. Can spend up to $2000.

Prefer to actually buy from Costco. Can buy from Best Buy. No online as I live in Alaska.

Any input? Thanks!
post #6881 of 6883 Old Today, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone know how the Sony x900c compared to the x850c in terms of picture quality?
post #6882 of 6883 Unread Today, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post
Hi -

Hoping to buy a TV tomorrow.

Sit 8-10 ft away from TV. Primarily watch Plex, Netflix and Cable. Also game on Xbox One.

Currently have a Panny TC-46PGT24. Happy with the PQ. Ready to go up in size. Couldn't care less about 3D.

Leaning towards a 4k. My receiver won't support it but I figure it may be more "future proof". Have no qualms about sticking at 1080p for the right set.

Size. 55" - 60". Leaning towards 60.

Budget. $1300-1500. Can spend up to $2000.

Prefer to actually buy from Costco. Can buy from Best Buy. No online as I live in Alaska.

Any input? Thanks!
At Costco the Vizio M60-C3. At best buy the Samsung 60JU7100.

I would get the Samsung all else being equal. The in-home warranty is nice if you live in Alaska. Also, check out the Netflix promotion they are running now and see if it applies to you.

As far as your receiver goes if your issue is that it does not have HDCP 2.2 ports I would not worry about it yet. There are still no UHD HDMI devices on the market so it should not present many short-term issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle View Post
Anyone know how the Sony x900c compared to the x850c in terms of picture quality?
There are not that many x900c's out yet so limited reviews and owners impressions. Initial feedback as been some uniformity issues caused by it being edge lit. At 65" and 75" the X850C is backlit. Unless you need a TV right now my advice would be to wait a couple of weeks until we have more impressions/reviews of the 900c/910c.

My personal speculation is going to be that PQ is better overall on the X850C. The claim to fame of the X900C is that it is thin.
post #6883 of 6883 Unread Today, 06:43 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I'm debating a 4K 43" TV. 43" is about as big as I can go in the bedroom so I'm looking at the Sony X830C or Vizio M43-C1. It's primarily for movies and sports, no gaming (I bought a 60W850B last year for gaming and love it).

Any reason to pick the Sony over the Vizio that justifies the Sony premium? From what I understand, the contrast and blacks are better on the Vizio. (Sony has an IPS panel right?) Viewing angles and bright room conditions aren't an issue in the bedroom.

Coming from an 8 year old 720p 32" LCD should be an upgrade no matter what.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page