the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 230 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6871 of 6875 Old Today, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks again Dalto. I've never been on the cutting edge before, so I guess I can't start when it's cost prohibitive as well.

I was just reading a negative review of the W800C, and a Sony person replied saying that you had to make sure to "have the latest firmware version installed for better performance." What does this mean? Do you have to connect the computer to the internet to achieve this, or is it something that has to be done by a repair person? I don't have the internet at home, so I guess I'm out of the loop on how these internet-connected sets work.
Glenshaw is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6872 of 6875 Old Today, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenshaw View Post
Thanks again Dalto. I've never been on the cutting edge before, so I guess I can't start when it's cost prohibitive as well.

I was just reading a negative review of the W800C, and a Sony person replied saying that you had to make sure to "have the latest firmware version installed for better performance." What does this mean? Do you have to connect the computer to the internet to achieve this, or is it something that has to be done by a repair person? I don't have the internet at home, so I guess I'm out of the loop on how these internet-connected sets work.
Yes, you typically connect to the internet and TV downloads the new firmware. Alternatively, you can also download the software somewhere else and put it on a USB stick. Then insert the usb drive into your TV and do the update that way.

Honestly, if you don't have internet at the house I would seriously consider getting last years "B" model. The 2015 TVs are Android based and getting large updates frequently due to the newness of the software.
dalto is online now  
post #6873 of 6875 Old Today, 11:37 AM
Member
 
zeekle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: nashville tn
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
The X830C is not a terrible set in the absolute sense but it has an IPS panel with a pretty poor contrast ratio. If you want a UHD set I believe there are better options from other manufacturers.

The need for a UHD/4K set in 2015 is highly debated. Content is already starting to be available via streaming services and we are expecting UHD BD to be available later this year. There is more than just resolution to UHD though. Wider color gamuts, high dynamic range processing and support for high frame rate content is also coming. TVs that support all of these features are currently priced quite high.

My advice is to wait to buy into the UHD ecosystem unless you like being on the cutting edge. Less expensive TVs that support all facets of the new technology should be widely available in a couple of years.
I agree at this size and smaller I think its less of a big deal to move to UHD. Its going to be a while until content providers figure out how to utilize these new features.

remember back to early DVDs and how much that stuff changed. Players had issues with certain movies firmware changes had to happen a lot.

At a 70 and above size its a tougher choice. I think the manufactures are really pushing anyone hard to 4k in that size.
zeekle is online now  
post #6874 of 6875 Old Today, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
The 2015 TVs are Android based and getting large updates frequently due to the newness of the software.
What do these firmware updates address? Is it just "smart" features of the TV that they add or improve, or do they improve picture? I read something within the past couple days about a picture issue with one model being fixed by a firmware update, but that may be incorrect.
Glenshaw is online now  
post #6875 of 6875 Old Today, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenshaw View Post
What do these firmware updates address? Is it just "smart" features of the TV that they add or improve, or do they improve picture? I read something within the past couple days about a picture issue with one model being fixed by a firmware update, but that may be incorrect.
They can fix software, picture or reliability issues. They can even introduce new features.
dalto is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off