the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 7412 Old 07-21-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jeter99 View Post
So, in your opinion, my best bet would be the 50W800C? How is the input lag? Is it a decent set for gaming? Again, thanks for taking the time to read my post and for answering my questions. It is greatly appreciated.
According to rtings it is just south of 40ms which is not bad for most people. The Vizio is quite a bit lower but only on one input.

I would take a look at the rtings.com reviews of all 3 if you have not already. Just focus more on the detailed results than the conclusions. Their tests are very objective but their conclusions tend to focus a lot on contrast and panel uniformity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7412 Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So, I did something I never do, and impulsively bought a TV because it was a good deal (thanks, Prime day). I bought a Sharp LC55UB30U but haven't opened it yet. Between the general lack of information on this model and the fact that the few reviews I have seen were lukewarm, I am wondering if I should get something else instead...

New TV will take the place of a Samsung PN50B650 (great plasma TV except for the "encore" channel logo burned into the bottom-right corner) in my bedroom. Requirements/objectives:

Size: 50" - 60" (55" preferred)
Budget: < $1K
Resolution: 4K would be nice, 1080p is good too
Refresh rate: support for blu-ray @ 24p is preferred
Uses: primarily blu-ray and HD cable, would likely use Smart apps like Amazon Prime video if available

Lastly, I'd like to stick to 2014-2015 models.

Thanks!
-Travis
post #7023 of 7412 Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post
So, I did something I never do, and impulsively bought a TV because it was a good deal (thanks, Prime day). I bought a Sharp LC55UB30U but haven't opened it yet. Between the general lack of information on this model and the fact that the few reviews I have seen were lukewarm, I am wondering if I should get something else instead...

New TV will take the place of a Samsung PN50B650 (great plasma TV except for the "encore" channel logo burned into the bottom-right corner) in my bedroom. Requirements/objectives:

Size: 50" - 60" (55" preferred)
Budget: < $1K
Resolution: 4K would be nice, 1080p is good too
Refresh rate: support for blu-ray @ 24p is preferred
Uses: primarily blu-ray and HD cable, would likely use Smart apps like Amazon Prime video if available

Lastly, I'd like to stick to 2014-2015 models.

Thanks!
-Travis
55" Vizio M-series for 4K or the Sony 55W800C for 1080p.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about that Sharp so I can't give you a good comparison.
post #7024 of 7412 Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like I should haver posted here:

Guess who is in a rush to buy a new large TV? Me.
I'd like to get it this week. Like everyone, I want the best TV for the least amount of money. My requirements:

70" to 80"
Great picture
Universally acclaimed - while I wish I was as gifted and trained as many of you are, I am not one of those people who has to see a TV in person before buying it. If the majority of reviewers love it, if most of you love it, and I see it, I am probably going to love it. I have friends and relatives who are way more into the A/V thing but we all have champagne tastes and (nice) beer budgets.
Replacing a 70" sharp from Costco 2-3 years ago.
Upper limit of my price range is 4000 to 5000. Would prefer to spend 3000.
As always, it seems the Sony I want and can afford is a good 5-10 inches shorter than the Sharp I want and can afford. And I keep hearing Samsung is the way to go these days anyway.
Sources: PS4, blu ray, any 4k i can get my hands on once available, sports, etc.

Any advice, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

I literally want to order it/pick it up so it arrives by Friday.
post #7025 of 7412 Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the P502UI-B1E worth 550? I just found it on a website for 550, plus an additional 10% discount on top of that!!! Should I pounce on it?
post #7026 of 7412 Old 07-21-2015, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
According to rtings it is just south of 40ms which is not bad for most people. The Vizio is quite a bit lower but only on one input.

I would take a look at the rtings.com reviews of all 3 if you have not already. Just focus more on the detailed results than the conclusions. Their tests are very objective but their conclusions tend to focus a lot on contrast and panel uniformity.
I spent the better part of the last few hours on rtings, and although I sometimes felt a bit overwhelmed, I was able to come up with a list of sets in my price range that I was hoping that you could take a look at and let me know which is the best set for me and my needs.

Samsung UN40JU6700 (40")
Samsung UN40JU6500 (40")
Samsung UN50J6300 (50")
SonyKDL50W800C (50")

Again, the main uses would be to play Xbox, watch Netflix and Hulu, and to watch the football game every Sunday. The tv will be about 8' away and I will be sitting directly in front of it. Also, it's probably worth pointing out so you know what I'm use to, the set that I'm replacing is a 40" Vizio M401i-A3 which I liked other then the whole it's falling apart in less then a year and a half issue that I'm experiencing.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read this and for all of your help.

Side note. What are your thoughts on the Samsung UN40JU7100? It's a bit out of my price range right now, but if it came down a few hundred bucks around Christmas time, what are your thoughts about buying it instead of the set that you pick for me from the list of tv's above? Is it overkill for my needs?

Last edited by s.jeter99; 07-21-2015 at 09:58 PM.
post #7027 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 05:30 AM

Look for a new tv, 42-50" for somewhere between 500-600 bucks. Will be sitting 8-10' from the tv in a room with recessed dimmable lighting. Tv will be sitting on a tv stand (not mounted).

Primarily I want it for sports and PS4, so motion blur and input lag are both important. I was looking at smart TVs, specifically samsung (I wanted HBOGO), but after lots of googling they were either too expensive, too laggy or had too much blur, so it might just be a non-smart tv equipped with a chromecast or roku (verizon) or something.

I was looking at the Vizio E50-C1 (about 500 bucks right now), but wanted to see what others suggested.

thanks!
post #7028 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan18 View Post
70" to 80"
Great picture
Universally acclaimed - while I wish I was as gifted and trained as many of you are, I am not one of those people who has to see a TV in person before buying it. If the majority of reviewers love it, if most of you love it, and I see it, I am probably going to love it. I have friends and relatives who are way more into the A/V thing but we all have champagne tastes and (nice) beer budgets.
Replacing a 70" sharp from Costco 2-3 years ago.
Upper limit of my price range is 4000 to 5000. Would prefer to spend 3000.
As always, it seems the Sony I want and can afford is a good 5-10 inches shorter than the Sharp I want and can afford. And I keep hearing Samsung is the way to go these days anyway.
Sources: PS4, blu ray, any 4k i can get my hands on once available, sports, etc.
Unfortunately, there is nothing "universally acclaimed" at that size and price range but there are some good choices.

Your budget choice would be the 70" Vizio M-series. It is a basic 4K set at a good price. It does not have 3D support if that is important to you.

The two sets I would recommend at a slightly higher price point but still within the upper bounds of your budget are the Samsung 75JU7100 and the Sony 75X850C.

The Samsung 75JU7100 is a great all around performer. It is average to above average in nearly everything and not really bad at anything.

The Sony 75X850C has Wide Gamut Color(WCG) support via it's Triluminous technology and has Android TV embedded which is some interesting technology. That being said, Android TV on the Sony's is still pretty buggy so if you are not an early adopter you might want to stay away.

The Samsung and Sony are 5" larger and offer technology and viewing improvements over the Vizio but they are all good sets.

Quote:
I spent the better part of the last few hours on rtings, and although I sometimes felt a bit overwhelmed, I was able to come up with a list of sets in my price range that I was hoping that you could take a look at and let me know which is the best set for me and my needs.

Samsung UN40JU6700 (40")
Samsung UN40JU6500 (40")
Samsung UN50J6300 (50")
SonyKDL50W800C (50")
So, the 6700 and 6500 are entry level 4K sets with 60Hz panels. The 6300 is a basic 1080p set. Personally, I like the W800C better than the J6300. Given the size and distance of the sets you are looking at I would have trouble losing 10" of screen size just to get 4K support. Especially since you would also be dropping down to a 60Hz panel.

Quote:
Side note. What are your thoughts on the Samsung UN40JU7100? It's a bit out of my price range right now, but if it came down a few hundred bucks around Christmas time, what are your thoughts about buying it instead of the set that you pick for me from the list of tv's above? Is it overkill for my needs?
It is a great mid-level set and I recommend it all the time. If you were comparing the same size sets I would definitely recommend it but you are talking about losing 10" and making a big investment I am not sure it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morario84 View Post
I was looking at the Vizio E50-C1 (about 500 bucks right now), but wanted to see what others suggested.
This is exactly what I would have suggested.

The alternative is to shop around locally and see if anyone has a good deal on a better 2014 set still in the store. This, honestly, is what I would do. The Vizio E-series is decent TV for the money but 1080p TV technology isn't exactly evolving rapidly so if you get a good deal on a better model from last year it might be worth poking around for.
post #7029 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question M or P?

OK guys, I'm trying to decide between a vizio P652UI-B2 and the vizio M65-C1... They are only a few bucks different in price!

Which one? They are both 4k and they seem so close in specs...
are there any features the P has that the M doesn't?
anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks
post #7030 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliot View Post
OK guys, I'm trying to decide between a vizio P652UI-B2 and the vizio M65-C1... They are only a few bucks different in price!

Which one? They are both 4k and they seem so close in specs...
are there any features the P has that the M doesn't?
anyone have any experience with them?
At that size the primary advantage is going to be that the P-series has more dimming zones.

The topic is hotly debated. Here is an entire thread that discusses it:

Is the Vizio 2015 M Series better than the 2014 P Series?
post #7031 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
55" Vizio M-series for 4K or the Sony 55W800C for 1080p.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about that Sharp so I can't give you a good comparison.
Thanks for the response! If I'm reading things correctly, it looks like the Vizio has a direct backlight with 32 local-dimming zones, and the Sony has edge-lighting (so I presume no local dimming?). I believe either will detect 24p from a Blu-Ray player (very sure on the Sony, pretty sure on the Vizio based on the 2015 M-series thread). I was initially favoring Sony based on "brand identity" but after reading more about Vizio, I see much has changed since I was last shopping TVs 6 years ago!

Now I just have to decide... drop down to a 50" and match the price I paid for the Sharp, or stick with 55" and pony up an extra $200. Seems a shame to get a new TV (especially a 4K) and not go up at least a little in size... decisions, decisions.
post #7032 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post
Thanks for the response! If I'm reading things correctly, it looks like the Vizio has a direct backlight with 32 local-dimming zones, and the Sony has edge-lighting (so I presume no local dimming?). I believe either will detect 24p from a Blu-Ray player (very sure on the Sony, pretty sure on the Vizio based on the 2015 M-series thread). I was initially favoring Sony based on "brand identity" but after reading more about Vizio, I see much has changed since I was last shopping TVs 6 years ago!

Now I just have to decide... drop down to a 50" and match the price I paid for the Sharp, or stick with 55" and pony up an extra $200. Seems a shame to get a new TV (especially a 4K) and not go up at least a little in size... decisions, decisions.
I believe pretty much everything you said is accurate. I would say that, with the Vizio M, when you get to 60" or larger you get a 120Hz panel so keep that in mind as well.
post #7033 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been looking at getting a 4K TV this year. I am looking at getting a 65 inch and was originally set on the JS8500, but in the last few weeks I have been leaning towards the JS9500. I figure if I am going to dish out thousands for a TV it might as well have the best technology including FALD with HDR. I would hate to purchase the JS8500 only later to regret it. I am looking at the Sony 930C as well which will have HDR eventually, but is only edge lit. In any case, I want to make a purchase that has the newest HDMI specifications so I can eventually playback 4K Blu-ray. Do both TV's have the newest HDMI specs? I have read around on the forum and seem to see conflicting posts.
post #7034 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
I have been looking at getting a 4K TV this year. I am looking at getting a 65 inch and was originally set on the JS8500, but in the last few weeks I have been leaning towards the JS9500. I figure if I am going to dish out thousands for a TV it might as well have the best technology including FALD with HDR. I would hate to purchase the JS8500 only later to regret it. I am looking at the Sony 930C as well which will have HDR eventually, but is only edge lit. In any case, I want to make a purchase that has the newest HDMI specifications so I can eventually playback 4K Blu-ray. Do both TV's have the newest HDMI specs? I have read around on the forum and seem to see conflicting posts.
There is precious little information on the HDMI ports of the X930C bit it is widely believed that they 10GBps HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant ports.

So...the short answer is probably not. If you want full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 ports go with the JS9500. Honestly, at current prices, at the 65" size I would recommend the Samsung anyway. It is only $500 more for 150 zones of FALD.
post #7035 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is precious little information on the HDMI ports of the X930C bit it is widely believed that they 10GBps HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant ports.

So...the short answer is probably not. If you want full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 ports go with the JS9500. Honestly, at current prices, at the 65" size I would recommend the Samsung anyway. It is only $500 more for 150 zones of FALD.
Thanks for the info. I can't see myself buying the Sony if the ports are not 18.2gbps. I will probably end up getting the Samsung eventually. I thought it was about a thousand more than the Sony unless the Samsung has dropped in price from around $5k?

edit: I see the price dropped $500 on the Samsung on Amazon.
post #7036 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
Thanks for the info. I can't see myself buying the Sony if the ports are not 18.2gbps. I will probably end up getting the Samsung eventually. I thought it was about a thousand more than the Sony unless the Samsung has dropped in price from around $5k?
It is currently $4,500 as of a few days ago. Not sure if that is a short-term sale or a new price.
post #7037 of 7412 Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, must have just happened. Hopefully it eventually gets to $4k or under. At that point I think I will get it.
post #7038 of 7412 Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buying TV living in Sweden

Hello!
After some intense googling and researching I'm still puzzled at what tv I am to buy. However my googling has many times led to this forum and you guys seem like you know a bunch about tv while also being very helpful.
Now I have been struggling a bit to find reviews of the TVs that my local retailers are selling. I think they might use different names for EU and NA?
So I was hoping you could help me figure out what TV suits me the best!

The template OP posted:
Budget: 520$ - 700$
Seating distance: About 3 meters/ ~10feet
Size/placement limitations: None really, I think the budget will limit this :P
Uses and sources: Watching series, movies and being able to game on it(It does not have to be the lowest input lag in the market, but 70ms is where I draw the line.)
Room lighting: standard living room, will probably get some screen flares from windows. Not the highest priority but it would be nice to have a nonreflective TV screen.
I want it to be 48 inch or more.

As I mentioned earlier I have been looking a bit at the local retailers and I have found one on sale that is lowered by 407 dollars but I cant find any reviews of it on Cnet or here. My retailer calls it Samsung 50" 3D Smart LED-TV UE50H6275XXE. It's sold by elgiganten (I don't think I'm allowed to post links). This one has update frequency of 100hz I think. (700$)

And the second one I have been eyeing is the Bravia 48" w705c (700$)
And third Panasonic Viera TX-48AS640E (670$)

I'm not looking at getting help deciding between these three. Any other TV that fits the template is welcome as suggestions!
Kind regards
post #7039 of 7412 Old 07-23-2015, 08:47 AM

Hi all. I'm about to buy a new TV, but it seems very difficult to finalize my decision on what to buy. I've done the majority of my research on the Samsung JS8500 and was about 95% sure I'd be getting this TV, but now I'm second guessing myself and looking at the Sony X900C. I'm guessing the Sony just came out since I can't find nearly as much information in the form of reviews. I'm also open to other suggestions that meet my criteria if there are better performing TVs that I'm simply unaware of. I was also looking at the LG 55" OLED and hoping the flat version would come out in the near future to throw that in the mix as a possibility. My current living room TV is getting worse, and I don't think it'll last much longer (~8 year old 52" Sony Bravia XBR5 that has lines and picture blur mostly when I first turn it on but recently on and off throughout the day as well).

I definitely want a flat TV instead of curved. I'm also trying to decide between 55" and 65", given my seating distance (and would take some wife convincing if I went above 55")
My budget is not really an issue. When I purchase a TV, I am willing to buy the best at the time and expect it to last several years.
My seating distance is about 8.5'.
Placement will be wall mounted, and I'll be watching slightly off center.
I'll be using it to watch all types of tv shows and movies, lots of sports, and some ps4.
Room lighting is pretty standard. I tend to keep my living room lights off and my recessed kitchen lights on. There's some natural light that gets through during the day when I open my curtains, but it doesnt tend to affect my current TV.

Any advice or pros/cons between these two TVs and other options, as well as 55" vs 65"(how much of a picture quality upgrade is 65" over 55" if any) would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #7040 of 7412 Old 07-23-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsharkchemist View Post
I've done the majority of my research on the Samsung JS8500 and was about 95% sure I'd be getting this TV, but now I'm second guessing myself and looking at the Sony X900C. I'm guessing the Sony just came out since I can't find nearly as much information in the form of reviews.
These are very different TVs. The X900C is an IPS panel which generally means you will have lower contrast with the benefit of increased viewing angles. Unless you need these additional viewing angles comparing the two sets I would probably pick the JS8500. Moreover, for the same money(in 65") you can get the 65X930C which is a higher quality TV than the X900C in most aspects except physical size and viewing angles.

That being said, I have spent a small amount of time with the X900C and what I saw was pretty impressive for an IPS panel. I didn't spend enough time with it that I could solidly recommend it yet. There are no real reviews that I am aware of yet. I expect we will start to see them soon though.

Quote:
My seating distance is about 8.5'.
Placement will be wall mounted, and I'll be watching slightly off center.
I'll be using it to watch all types of tv shows and movies, lots of sports, and some ps4.
How off center? 10-15 degrees will make little difference but 40 degrees and you may be better off with an IPS panel.

Quote:
Any advice or pros/cons between these two TVs and other options, as well as 55" vs 65"(how much of a picture quality upgrade is 65" over 55" if any) would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
It is a hotly debated subject. But generally, at 8.5' you would probably need 65" to see the benefits of UHD/4K.

Here is a chart from rtings:

General screen size ratings usually recommend that viewing distance be 1.5-3 times the height of the screen. The height of a 65" screen is about 32" so that would be much smaller than recommended. That being said, honestly, very few people actually follow this latter guideline but it is an interesting data point if you are making an argument.
post #7041 of 7412 Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
How off center? 10-15 degrees will make little difference but 40 degrees and you may be better off with an IPS panel.
Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. I would guess 20-25 degrees from the exact center of the TV. I didn't know what an IPS panel is, so I appreciate the brief knowledge on that. I just saw the x900c as a new flat panel TV in the 55-65" range from the same company of the TV I'll be replacing and threw it in the mix b/c of it. I'm just basically trying to buy the best flat TV on the market in the 55-65" range. I know a lot of it is personal preference and will vary per person, but I've learned so much that I didn't know in the last few days lurking through these forums and am hopeful to learn even more by posting here. Thank you.
post #7042 of 7412 Old 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. I would guess 20-25 degrees from the exact center of the TV. I didn't know what an IPS panel is, so I appreciate the brief knowledge on that. I just saw the x900c as a new flat panel TV in the 55-65" range from the same company of the TV I'll be replacing and threw it in the mix b/c of it. I'm just basically trying to buy the best flat TV on the market in the 55-65" range. I know a lot of it is personal preference and will vary per person, but I've learned so much that I didn't know in the last few days lurking through these forums and am hopeful to learn even more by posting here. Thank you.
There are two main categories of LCD panels used in TVs. Vertically Aligned(VA) and In-Plane Switching(IPS). The fundamental flaw with VA panels is that as soon as you get off-axis, or are not looking at them close to straight, there is a noticeable loss of contrast and color shift. In IPS panels this color shift, while still present, is much less noticeable until you get very off off-axis. The cost for this increase in viewing angles is that overall contrast is decreased and panel uniformity tends to be lower on average.

So, if you sit directly in front of your TV or close to it you will generally be better off with a VA panel, however, if you sit off-axis you will generally be better off with an IPS panel. The degree to which you can go off-axis varies from panel to panel. 20-25 degrees is usually within the amount where it matters for many VA panels. For example, rtings measured the angle that you have issues with off-angle viewing on Samsung JS9500 at 17 degrees. By comparison most of the IPS panels they test are in the 30-40 degree range.

So, if 20-25 degrees is really how far off you are I would definitely get an IPS panel, or step up into an OLED which don't suffer from viewing angle issues.

Quality IPS TVs in that size range that you can find in a store in the US are fairly sparse. The newly released Sony X900C is one. Another TV that I like in IPS is the LG 65UF9500. It has the advantage of a local dimming system but has the disadvantage of being an LG which brings fairly high input lag(an issue in fast action gaming) and just OK motion processing.

The Panasonic AX900 is an excellent IPS TV from last year, but I think you would have to buy it straight from Panasonic as it is not sold in stores.
post #7043 of 7412 Old 07-23-2015, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
So, if you sit directly in front of your TV or close to it you will generally be better off with a VA panel, however, if you sit off-axis you will generally be better off with an IPS panel. The degree to which you can go off-axis varies from panel to panel. 20-25 degrees is usually within the amount where it matters for many VA panels. For example, rtings measured the angle that you have issues with off-angle viewing on Samsung JS9500 at 17 degrees. By comparison most of the IPS panels they test are in the 30-40 degree range.

So, if 20-25 degrees is really how far off you are I would definitely get an IPS panel, or step up into an OLED which don't suffer from viewing angle issues.
This is why the post-plasma era is so problematic. To use a TV in a family room where everyone cannot sit directly in front of the set, you need to spend an insane amount of $ on an OLED. And then, just to eff that up, they make the OLEDs curved!!! So the only TV you can get for a large room with varied viewing angles is a used plasma from the classifieds or eBay.
post #7044 of 7412 Old 07-24-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe pretty much everything you said is accurate. I would say that, with the Vizio M, when you get to 60" or larger you get a 120Hz panel so keep that in mind as well.
Thanks again -- pulled the trigger on a 55" Vizio M this morning, and the Sharp is going back. As it happens, the Vizio recently went on sale, and then had an additional unexpected $50 Amazon Prime discount, so the price delta dropped to only $100. Seems worth it

I still can't get over the lack of info on the Sharp LCxxUB30 models. Only 2 in-depth reviews that I've seen, and not even very many short customer reviews. Also, there is a lot of confusion on backlighting... the 65" definitively is full-array backlit and has local dimming, and the smaller sizes definitely do not have local dimming. But several sources say the smaller sizes are edge-lit, while one claims they are full-array lit. Oh well, not my problem anymore.
post #7045 of 7412 Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Samsung 75" un75h6350/un75h6300 or Vizio 80" m801i-a3

I have been doing research on both the Samsung 75" un75h6350/un75h6300 or Vizio 80" m801i-a3 and am having tough time deciding which one I should go for. I watch a lot of sports, news and nat geo shows.

I can get the vizio m801i-a3 for $1875 out the door.
The Samsung un75h6350/un75h6300 I can get for $1660 out the door.

I have been dreaming of an 80" for quite some time, but then came across Samsung's 75". Is the size a huge difference between the 75" and the 80"? I want what would be considered the best all around and best picture quality.

Any help on my decision would be much appreciated.
post #7046 of 7412 Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM

I have done everything in my power to try and find a good, reasonably priced TV and I am ready to call it quits and go back to the old CRT TV's. I am trying to find a good, reasonably priced 55" - 60" TV. By reasonably priced, I mean that I am trying to find something below the price of ~1200. I have absolutely no problem going 4k or 1080P, but I am having a real hard time finding any TV that actually appears to be good in that price range.

I have narrowed my search down to the Sony 55X800B, Samsung UN55JU6500F, Samsung UN55J6300, and the Sony KDL50W800C. I will mostly use this TV for playing Xbox, watching sports, and a decent amount of movies. For some reason, I cannot find a single TV in this price range that can actually do all three of those well, and they all appear to suck at at least one of those. I believe with sports, Motion Blur is very important, so that is one of my top priorities. The JU6500F is also 60hz ONLY, and people say that is awful for movies. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I didn't think that it would be this difficult to find a TV, and maybe I am nitpicking everything, but I have read endless reviews on the TV's above, and they all lack something.
post #7047 of 7412 Old 07-26-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dero501 View Post
I have done everything in my power to try and find a good, reasonably priced TV and I am ready to call it quits and go back to the old CRT TV's. I am trying to find a good, reasonably priced 55" - 60" TV. By reasonably priced, I mean that I am trying to find something below the price of ~1200. I have absolutely no problem going 4k or 1080P, but I am having a real hard time finding any TV that actually appears to be good in that price range.

I have narrowed my search down to the Sony 55X800B, Samsung UN55JU6500F, Samsung UN55J6300, and the Sony KDL50W800C. I will mostly use this TV for playing Xbox, watching sports, and a decent amount of movies. For some reason, I cannot find a single TV in this price range that can actually do all three of those well, and they all appear to suck at at least one of those. I believe with sports, Motion Blur is very important, so that is one of my top priorities. The JU6500F is also 60hz ONLY, and people say that is awful for movies. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I didn't think that it would be this difficult to find a TV, and maybe I am nitpicking everything, but I have read endless reviews on the TV's above, and they all lack something.
At this price everything will lack something. You just have to do get as close as you can and determine which sacrifices to make.

For your uses and requirements I would say the 55X800B is the best TV on that list. 120Hz panel, UHD, good upscaling and motion handling. The downsides are no 3D, IPS panel means just OK contrast and uniformity.

The JU6500 doesn't have 24p support so I would stay away from it.

The Sony 50W800C is a decent 1080p TV. It should have better contrast than the X800B but you will giving up UHD/4K and 5".

The Samsung J6300 is a basic entry level 1080p TV. For less money, or a bigger size for the same money, you can get a Vizio E-series which is just as good.

I would get the Sony 55X800B or a 60" 2015 Vizio M-series if I were in your shoes.
post #7048 of 7412 Old 07-26-2015, 07:25 PM

Thank you so much for your response. One last question...as I have been looking around more, I found the Samsung UN55JU6700F to also be a good contender. Compared to the 55X800B, which would you prefer? I really appreciate all of your help, thank you!!
post #7049 of 7412 Old 07-26-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dero501 View Post
Thank you so much for your response. One last question...as I have been looking around more, I found the Samsung UN55JU6700F to also be a good contender. Compared to the 55X800B, which would you prefer? I really appreciate all of your help, thank you!!
I believe it is just a curved version of the JU6500 so I would still recommend the 55X800B.
post #7050 of 7412 Old 07-26-2015, 07:42 PM

I am lost and have read so many internet articles and visited so many brick and mortar stores in my area that they all know me now and I still am unsure. Before I get into my dilemma here are the specifics that you requested:

1. Budget: <$4,000 ($2,000 - $4,000)
2. Seating distance: 7 - 9 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: none, flat wall for mounting panel, prefer a 65"
4. Uses and sources: Blu-Ray, Fios HD CableTV, streaming movies, very minimal gaming, HTPC, HDHomeRun DVR
5. Room lighting: Daytime: large sliding glass door but have adjustable blinds; Night: it is dark in the room
6. Viewing angle: Wider then normal for a typical LCD since kitchen can view TV from a distance at an angle

Background: We had Panasonic 50" G25 Plasma TV (loved it but decided to send it to our family who needed a TV and buy a new one, poor decision now that I can't find a TV with a good image, but can't take the TV back it is in another country now). We purchased the 2015 Sony 65X930C after 3 months of shopping, reading and waiting for the 900C but gave up and bought the 930C. After two weeks of adjusting every adjustment on the TV to improve image quality I called Verizon Fios and had one of their DVR cable boxes delivered just to eliminate that the problem was the TV and not my HTPC. After the new DVR was installed, the image quality was just as poor and the motion blur and pixeling was terrible, especially when one considers the retail cost of the TV. We boxed it up and returned the TV that same night! (After spending 1-1/2 hours on the telephone with Sony to realize they have no interest in assisting in resolving the problem and told me it was a Verizon problem, ya right after having the Verizon technician verify the connections and having had a plasma connected to the same source!)

I am interested in a 4K screen but if the upscaling is going to give me poor resolution (like the Sony, a 720p source typically looked horrible) then I will stay with a 1080p. It seems to purchase the TV with the better features this year you have to buy a 4K TV.

I am considering the following screens:
  1. Samsung JS8500
  2. Samsung JS9000 (preference at present)
  3. LG OLED 55" 1080p
  4. Panasonic CX850U

The Samsung JS8500 and the JS9000 seem similar except screen shape, a quad core versus an 8 core processor, and the one connect box. The LG OLED 55" 1080p (can't afford the 65" 4K) I liked the color rendition and how it seemed like a plasma, but never have seen how it renders live TV (am concerned about motion blur). I was impressed with a couple of articles recommending the new flagship 4K TV from Panasonic CX-850U but without much support in the USA I guess that is not an option.

I read your reference articles before posting this and also reviewed rtings.com recommendations and would appreciate any assistance or recommendations you may have. My wife is anxious to have a TV again, we haven't had one for about 4 months now. I really don't want to purchase another TV and then go through the hassle of returning it due to poor image quality. (I can put up with poorer quality images if the TV is less expensive - but when you put that much money into a TV it better give a reliable image. I am really disappointed in the very poor customer service that Sony had and the overall lack of interest and preference to shift the blame, but it seems like Samsung and LG are similar also.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page