the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 236 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7051 of 7076 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbowman View Post
I am lost and have read so many internet articles and visited so many brick and mortar stores in my area that they all know me now and I still am unsure. Before I get into my dilemma here are the specifics that you requested:

1. Budget: <$4,000 ($2,000 - $4,000)
2. Seating distance: 7 - 9 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: none, flat wall for mounting panel, prefer a 65"
4. Uses and sources: Blu-Ray, Fios HD CableTV, streaming movies, very minimal gaming, HTPC, HDHomeRun DVR
5. Room lighting: Daytime: large sliding glass door but have adjustable blinds; Night: it is dark in the room
6. Viewing angle: Wider then normal for a typical LCD since kitchen can view TV from a distance at an angle

Background: We had Panasonic 50" G25 Plasma TV (loved it but decided to send it to our family who needed a TV and buy a new one, poor decision now that I can't find a TV with a good image, but can't take the TV back it is in another country now). We purchased the 2015 Sony 65X930C after 3 months of shopping, reading and waiting for the 900C but gave up and bought the 930C. After two weeks of adjusting every adjustment on the TV to improve image quality I called Verizon Fios and had one of their DVR cable boxes delivered just to eliminate that the problem was the TV and not my HTPC. After the new DVR was installed, the image quality was just as poor and the motion blur and pixeling was terrible, especially when one considers the retail cost of the TV. We boxed it up and returned the TV that same night! (After spending 1-1/2 hours on the telephone with Sony to realize they have no interest in assisting in resolving the problem and told me it was a Verizon problem, ya right after having the Verizon technician verify the connections and having had a plasma connected to the same source!)

I am interested in a 4K screen but if the upscaling is going to give me poor resolution (like the Sony, a 720p source typically looked horrible) then I will stay with a 1080p. It seems to purchase the TV with the better features this year you have to buy a 4K TV.

I am considering the following screens:
  1. Samsung JS8500
  2. Samsung JS9000 (preference at present)
  3. LG OLED 55" 1080p
  4. Panasonic CX850U

The Samsung JS8500 and the JS9000 seem similar except screen shape, a quad core versus an 8 core processor, and the one connect box. The LG OLED 55" 1080p (can't afford the 65" 4K) I liked the color rendition and how it seemed like a plasma, but never have seen how it renders live TV (am concerned about motion blur). I was impressed with a couple of articles recommending the new flagship 4K TV from Panasonic CX-850U but without much support in the USA I guess that is not an option.

I read your reference articles before posting this and also reviewed rtings.com recommendations and would appreciate any assistance or recommendations you may have. My wife is anxious to have a TV again, we haven't had one for about 4 months now. I really don't want to purchase another TV and then go through the hassle of returning it due to poor image quality. (I can put up with poorer quality images if the TV is less expensive - but when you put that much money into a TV it better give a reliable image. I am really disappointed in the very poor customer service that Sony had and the overall lack of interest and preference to shift the blame, but it seems like Samsung and LG are similar also.
OK, that's a lot of info, thank you.

First off, the issue with your X930C was probably that Sony has overscan on by default for non 1080p sources. This is probably why your image quality was so poor. Bummer you had to go through that but next time come ask us.

Before we get into the recommendations let's talk a little about LCD viewing angles. I am not sure if you spent enough time with your X930C to notice but basically when you go off angle, you lose contrast and there is a color shift. The picture doesn't become unviewable like some old school sets but there is a definite shift. I am not sure how you watch TV from the kitchen but if that color shift bothers you than you should stay away from LCD TVs with VA panels which all of the LCD TVs on your list have.

So, two sets of recommendations here.

If you can live with the color shift there are three sets I would recommend in your price range/viewing situation the Sony X930C, the Samsung JS8500 or the Panasonic 65CX850. I can't recommend the JS9000 for your environment because the heavily curved screen will make the viewing angles even worse from the side. If we exclude the X930C, the Panasonic is probably the better TV from all accounts. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one in person since they have to be purchased directly from Panasonic in the US. Because you have some concerns with LCD and have already had to return one I would probably stay away from ordering from Panasonic directly due to the restocking fee. So, in summary, I recommend the Samsung JS8500 for you in this situation.

If you can't live with the shift in color/contrast at an angle your choices are OLED or an LCD with an IPS panel. The OLED will have excellent viewing angles and very strong contrast at virtually any angle. The downsides for you will be the loss of screen size for the price and LGs motion handling bothers some people. Therte are not a lot of quality IPS TVs this year. Since Sony is out about the only 2015 IPS TV worth considering is the LG 65UF9500. Like the Samsung JS8500 it is an edge-lit set with local dimming. The big difference being the use of an IPS panel instead of VA. As a result, it will have better off-axis viewing but worse contrast. If you were sitting in front of the TV the Samsung from above is definitely better in my opinion.

Ultimately, I think you will probably be happiest with the LG OLED or the Samsung JS8500 from what you have said. If you have a store in the area where you can view them with 720p or 1080i content that might be worth doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 7076 Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Sharp LC60LE832U died last weekend, the casualty of a really close lightning strike. SquareTrade was supposed to have it fixed by now, but they dropped the ball and forgot to order the parts! Now it seems that parts are no longer available, so a new TV may be in the future.

I haven't researched TVs much in the past couple of years, so I need some guidance.

- Viewing distance is 10'.
- Viewing angle 30 degrees/side max, but mostly within 5 degrees.
- main use is NetFlix, blu-ray, dish Network, XBox. Lots of kids shows; no sports

Budget is $2,000. Size is limited to 65" by mounting location.

While the rest of the family is oblivious to picture quality, I am a stickler for it, and I will have the set calibrated within a couple of days of getting it.

Thanks!
Myron
post #7053 of 7076 Old Today, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Further Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
OK, that's a lot of info, thank you.

First off, the issue with your X930C was probably that Sony has overscan on by default for non 1080p sources. This is probably why your image quality was so poor. Bummer you had to go through that but next time come ask us.

Before we get into the recommendations let's talk a little about LCD viewing angles. I am not sure if you spent enough time with your X930C to notice but basically when you go off angle, you lose contrast and there is a color shift. The picture doesn't become unviewable like some old school sets but there is a definite shift. I am not sure how you watch TV from the kitchen but if that color shift bothers you than you should stay away from LCD TVs with VA panels which all of the LCD TVs on your list have.

So, two sets of recommendations here.

If you can live with the color shift there are three sets I would recommend in your price range/viewing situation the Sony X930C, the Samsung JS8500 or the Panasonic 65CX850. I can't recommend the JS9000 for your environment because the heavily curved screen will make the viewing angles even worse from the side. If we exclude the X930C, the Panasonic is probably the better TV from all accounts. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one in person since they have to be purchased directly from Panasonic in the US. Because you have some concerns with LCD and have already had to return one I would probably stay away from ordering from Panasonic directly due to the restocking fee. So, in summary, I recommend the Samsung JS8500 for you in this situation.

If you can't live with the shift in color/contrast at an angle your choices are OLED or an LCD with an IPS panel. The OLED will have excellent viewing angles and very strong contrast at virtually any angle. The downsides for you will be the loss of screen size for the price and LGs motion handling bothers some people. Therte are not a lot of quality IPS TVs this year. Since Sony is out about the only 2015 IPS TV worth considering is the LG 65UF9500. Like the Samsung JS8500 it is an edge-lit set with local dimming. The big difference being the use of an IPS panel instead of VA. As a result, it will have better off-axis viewing but worse contrast. If you were sitting in front of the TV the Samsung from above is definitely better in my opinion.

Ultimately, I think you will probably be happiest with the LG OLED or the Samsung JS8500 from what you have said. If you have a store in the area where you can view them with 720p or 1080i content that might be worth doing.
Thank you dalto for the information and the thoughts. You are right, I should have started here to look for help. At least I know for next time. Just a couple of items and a question:

- Viewing angle/time from kitchen: about 20% of the time. The color shift didn't bother rather the poor image quality, large pixels shown on the screen. I could possibly replace my mount with a tilting/full motion mount.
- The US model of the JS9000 doesn't come with the cable card slots in the one connect box?
- How can you get a local store to display, live TV on a 4K monitor? I was thinking of bringing my cell phone and a cable and streaming live TV to the screen since there are only two options near me: 1) the store doesn't have live TV (the case when I returned the X930C and my issue was with upscaling the 720p live TV sources) or 2) the store has live TV but the source is so poor that it does not give an accurate idea of the actual screen image. I find the sales people in my area typically unhelpful and unwilling to allow anything out of the normal.

I would be willing to risk it on the Panasonic, if I had faith the company would have a stronger presence in the US with 4K TV's in the future. Since I have a new 4K video card in my HTPC that has a displayport I could connect using it. But I agree with you, I can't see one in person before buying so it really makes it difficult.

What are your thoughts on the X930C vs. X900C vs. JS8500 vs. JS9000 (I know you don't recommend for my setting). Which one of the three do you think is the best unit?
post #7054 of 7076 Old Today, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronW View Post
- Viewing distance is 10'.
- Viewing angle 30 degrees/side max, but mostly within 5 degrees.
- main use is NetFlix, blu-ray, dish Network, XBox. Lots of kids shows; no sports

Budget is $2,000. Size is limited to 65" by mounting location.

While the rest of the family is oblivious to picture quality, I am a stickler for it, and I will have the set calibrated within a couple of days of getting it.
Well, I think you are going to be a little surprised of how little that budget will get you for your size range these days. Tough break on the last TV dying now.

At the 60" size I like the Samsung 60JU7100. Solid all-around mid-level performer.

At 65" I think the Vizio M-series is what I would recommend at that price point.

At 55" the Samsung 55JS8500 is probably your best option.

Quote:
- Viewing angle/time from kitchen: about 20% of the time. The color shift didn't bother rather the poor image quality, large pixels shown on the screen. I could possibly replace my mount with a tilting/full motion mount.
A full motion mount is a great solution.

Quote:
How can you get a local store to display, live TV on a 4K monitor? I was thinking of bringing my cell phone and a cable and streaming live TV to the screen since there are only two options near me: 1) the store doesn't have live TV (the case when I returned the X930C and my issue was with upscaling the 720p live TV sources) or 2) the store has live TV but the source is so poor that it does not give an accurate idea of the actual screen image. I find the sales people in my area typically unhelpful and unwilling to allow anything out of the normal.
In my area the smaller non-chain stores typically have a cable or satellite feed available to look at. If that isn't an option what about downloading something in a similar quality level onto a flash drive/thumb drive? Maybe a few minutes of a live sporting event captured in 720p?

What are your thoughts on the X930C vs. X900C vs. JS8500 vs. JS9000 (I know you don't recommend for my setting). Which one of the three do you think is the best unit?[/QUOTE]
Between those umm.......three?

The JS8500 and the JS9000 are very similar. The JS9000 comes with a full one connect box and is curved at a higher price. So, if you like the curve and are willing to pay the premium for it get the JS9000, otherwise get the JS8500.

IMO, there are only 2 reasons to get the Sony X900C. One is if you need the wider viewing angles. Two is if you want an ultra-thin TV you can flush mount on the wall. Other than these two things the X930C is better than the X900C in almost every way.

The X930C is a great set but you have already have one and didn't like it. The biggest thing I struggle with on the X930C is the price. It is priced $1,000 more than the JS8500. I like it better than than JS8500/JS9000 but only by a small margin and that is mostly due to my preferences. Also, the Android TV system on the 2015 Sony TVs is filled with bugs. While I am sure they will get fixed in the long run you need to have patience in the short-term and be willing to reboot the TV often.

So, in summary, my advice for your situation would be to get the JS8500/JS9000.
post #7055 of 7076 Old Today, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Seeking advice

I need a new TV for a newly constructed first floor family room. The template details are below but a couple of additional facts:

(i) the TV will be wall mounted within a wood "frame" - we are putting up a wall of distressed wood on top of the drywall and the TV will be "sunk" in the middle of that distressed wood;

(ii) all electronics other than the TV will be in a basement rack about a 20 foot wire run away from the TV - This may be important with the Samsung One Connect

(iii) TV audio will always be through a 5.2 Triad system with 5 ceiling speakers and 2 hidden cabinet subwoofers so TV's audio performance doesn't matter

1. Budget: <$4,000 street price
2. Seating distance: 12 feet (from eyeballs)
4. Uses and sources: DTV, Roku/Netflix/Amazon streaming movies,
5. Room lighting: Daytime: bank of windows almost directly opposite TV (15' wide room), double french doors on wall perpendicular to TV. Night: it is dark in the room
6. Viewing angle: Pretty wide as there will be a secondary viewing location (chair) in the middle of the perpendicular wall - not sure how to calculate the angle but the room is a rectangle with the TV in the middle of a 19' wall and the chair is in the middle of the 15' side wall

Currently have a Samsung LNT5781FX in a different room, which I have been happy with for a number of years. While I am not wedded to having the new TV be a 65" (no smaller) I want to keep the dimensions similar to the existing 57. Reliability and Picture quality are key to me. I'm not convinced I need 4K. I am pretty sure that I want flat, not curved, due to mounting/frame situation and viewing angles

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks
post #7056 of 7076 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
I need a new TV for a newly constructed first floor family room. The template details are below but a couple of additional facts:

(i) the TV will be wall mounted within a wood "frame" - we are putting up a wall of distressed wood on top of the drywall and the TV will be "sunk" in the middle of that distressed wood;

(ii) all electronics other than the TV will be in a basement rack about a 20 foot wire run away from the TV - This may be important with the Samsung One Connect

(iii) TV audio will always be through a 5.2 Triad system with 5 ceiling speakers and 2 hidden cabinet subwoofers so TV's audio performance doesn't matter

1. Budget: <$4,000 street price
2. Seating distance: 12 feet (from eyeballs)
4. Uses and sources: DTV, Roku/Netflix/Amazon streaming movies,
5. Room lighting: Daytime: bank of windows almost directly opposite TV (15' wide room), double french doors on wall perpendicular to TV. Night: it is dark in the room
6. Viewing angle: Pretty wide as there will be a secondary viewing location (chair) in the middle of the perpendicular wall - not sure how to calculate the angle but the room is a rectangle with the TV in the middle of a 19' wall and the chair is in the middle of the 15' side wall

Currently have a Samsung LNT5781FX in a different room, which I have been happy with for a number of years. While I am not wedded to having the new TV be a 65" (no smaller) I want to keep the dimensions similar to the existing 57. Reliability and Picture quality are key to me. I'm not convinced I need 4K. I am pretty sure that I want flat, not curved, due to mounting/frame situation and viewing angles

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks
Regarding the one connect, you would just mount it on the wall behind your TV. It is pretty small.

Other than that, your needs are very, very similar to ckbowman above you. Read the 4-5 posts immediately preceding yours, specifically #7051 and #7054 and let us know what your followup questions are based on that.

The one additional point I would make is that if dimensions are a priority for you the Sony X930C will probably not work as it is much wider then a typical 65".
post #7057 of 7076 Old Today, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Regarding the one connect, you would just mount it on the wall behind your TV. It is pretty small.

Other than that, your needs are very, very similar to ckbowman above you. Read the 4-5 posts immediately preceding yours, specifically #7051 and #7054 and let us know what your followup questions are based on that.

The one additional point I would make is that if dimensions are a priority for you the Sony X930C will probably not work as it is much wider then a typical 65".
Thanks very much for the prompt reply - the other posts were very helpful. Two more questions -- (i) does the JS8500 do its own video processing, meaning does it matter whether my preamp/processor's video processing is of sufficient quality; and (ii) how would you compare the JU7100 to the JS8500 for my purposes, particularly the viewing angle.

Again, thanks
post #7058 of 7076 Old Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Thanks very much for the prompt reply - the other posts were very helpful. Two more questions -- (i) does the JS8500 do its own video processing, meaning does it matter whether my preamp/processor's video processing is of sufficient quality; and (ii) how would you compare the JU7100 to the JS8500 for my purposes, particularly the viewing angle.
The viewing angle on both those sets, like most TVs with VA panels, is very poor. Less than 20 degrees before there will be a noticeable color/contrast shift. Just to be clear, you can still watch TV at angles greater than that as long as the color shift and loss of contrast don't bother you. For me, watching the news at an angle wouldn't bother me at all, but watching a movie in a dark room off-axis would be horrible for me. My wife and daughter probably wouldn't even notice the difference in a dark room. On the other hand, many of the posters here would be deeply bothered by the shifts in skin tones even when watching the news so it is a little different for everyone.

The differences between the JU7100 and the JS8500 are primarily effective local dimming, HDR support and increased peak brightness which leads to an overall increase in contrast. It also has wide color gamut(WCG) support through it's SUHD panel.

These TVs likely have better video processing then your AVR so you won't have an issue with your AVR until you need/want to start buying 4K/UHD sources such as the upcoming UHD BD players. But until that time there is no need to change-out the AVR.
post #7059 of 7076 Old Today, 11:00 AM

1. Budget - $2000-$2500
2. Seating distance 10ft (from eye level)
3. Size/placement limitations 55" max, currently own a 52"
4. Uses and sources Apple TV/Xbox One/Wii U/HTPC
5. Room lighting Average apartment lighting/large sliding glass door to the right of the set/pitch black curtains if needed.

Background - I haven't been on this forum in regards to Televisions in a very long time. I lurk around for audio/cabling/etc... My point is, I haven't done much research on LCD/LED sets since I purchased my Samsung LNA52A550 back in 07? or 08? I can't remember. Anyway, this bad boy lasted me for many years thanks to the help of the wonderful place. As soon as I unboxed it, I set up the video settings for best and long lasting results, and boy did they work. Well I'm here now because sadly my set is finally starting to act up. I feel like it's on its way out, when you boot it up, it gets stuck in a constant reboot loop for 10 seconds to 2 minutes at times. I've been reading about Samsung UN55JS8500 and stumbled upon this thread and noticed a few folks recommending this unit a lot. My main concern is this Smart TV microphone function. I work as a Security administrator, and read a few forums that mention that the TV is always listening to your conversations. I honestly have nothing to hide, but I as a Security guy, I am very wary when I know my TV is always listening to me.

Any help is appreciated, sorry for the rant.

At this point I don't care who wins, just give me my HD already! - DJO
post #7060 of 7076 Old Today, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djorijun View Post
1. Budget - $2000-$2500
2. Seating distance 10ft (from eye level)
3. Size/placement limitations 55" max, currently own a 52"
4. Uses and sources Apple TV/Xbox One/Wii U/HTPC
5. Room lighting Average apartment lighting/large sliding glass door to the right of the set/pitch black curtains if needed.

Background - I haven't been on this forum in regards to Televisions in a very long time. I lurk around for audio/cabling/etc... My point is, I haven't done much research on LCD/LED sets since I purchased my Samsung LNA52A550 back in 07? or 08? I can't remember. Anyway, this bad boy lasted me for many years thanks to the help of the wonderful place. As soon as I unboxed it, I set up the video settings for best and long lasting results, and boy did they work. Well I'm here now because sadly my set is finally starting to act up. I feel like it's on its way out, when you boot it up, it gets stuck in a constant reboot loop for 10 seconds to 2 minutes at times. I've been reading about Samsung UN55JS8500 and stumbled upon this thread and noticed a few folks recommending this unit a lot. My main concern is this Smart TV microphone function. I work as a Security administrator, and read a few forums that mention that the TV is always listening to your conversations. I honestly have nothing to hide, but I as a Security guy, I am very wary when I know my TV is always listening to me.
Voice control is unfortunately becoming more prevalent. You could always take it off the network.

OK, back on topic. Honestly, there are not that many high quality 55" sets to recommend. The 55JS8500 is probably the best available at retail. Sony's upper end sets are not available in 55". Panasonic sells a 55CX850 in the US but they are no longer in most US stores so if you are in the US you need to order directly from Panasonic.

The only thing the JS8500 doesn't have is a FALD system but I still think it is the best available in that size. You should see a pretty significant upgrade from an A550.
post #7061 of 7076 Old Today, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Voice control is unfortunately becoming more prevalent. You could always take it off the network.

OK, back on topic. Honestly, there are not that many high quality 55" sets to recommend. The 55JS8500 is probably the best available at retail. Sony's upper end sets are not available in 55". Panasonic sells a 55CX850 in the US but they are no longer in most US stores so if you are in the US you need to order directly from Panasonic.

The only thing the JS8500 doesn't have is a FALD system but I still think it is the best available in that size. You should see a pretty significant upgrade from an A550.
Thank you for the quick response. Good call on the network thing. I've continued to read more and more into the JS8500 and I think this will end up being the set for me. As you said, I'm basically looking for a great upgrade from my 550 that will last me many years just as my current one has.

At this point I don't care who wins, just give me my HD already! - DJO
post #7062 of 7076 Old Today, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys!

I'm trying to decide between the M-series 60" 4K or the E-series 70" LED. Both prices are really similar and its driving me nuts trying to figure out which one I should buy! Please help!

1. Budget: Under $2000
2. Seating distance: 8 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: none
4. Uses and sources: Light gaming, movies mainly
5. Room lighting: Average to dark
post #7063 of 7076 Old Today, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh1 View Post
Hi guys!

I'm trying to decide between the M-series 60" 4K or the E-series 70" LED. Both prices are really similar and its driving me nuts trying to figure out which one I should buy! Please help!

1. Budget: Under $2000
2. Seating distance: 8 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: none
4. Uses and sources: Light gaming, movies mainly
5. Room lighting: Average to dark
Not sure anyone can answer that for you, unfortunately. Is losing 10" of screen worth adding 4K/UHD support plus more zones of local dimming?

If your budget is $2,000 why not compromise and get the 65" M-series for $1,500.
post #7064 of 7076 Old Today, 03:43 PM

I wish I could get the 65" M-series but I live in Canada and all of the prices are inflated over here. I've heard 4k isn't worth it unless you sit really close or something like that and I'm just having a really difficult time trying to figure out what I should do.
post #7065 of 7076 Old Today, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wish I could get the 65" M-series but I live in Canada and all of the prices are inflated over here. I've heard 4k isn't worth it unless you sit really close or something like that and I'm just having a really difficult time trying to figure out what I should do.
The 4K topic is hotly debated. How close do you sit?
post #7066 of 7076 Old Today, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The 4K topic is hotly debated. How close do you sit?
About 8 feet away.
post #7067 of 7076 Old Today, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
About 8 feet away.
The infamous "charts" would put you just beneath edge of 4K benefits at 60" and well within it at 70". These are hotly debated though. A copy of one of the charts should be on the page before this one if you look back through the thread.

I would probably be inclined to get the M, but the difference between 60" and 70" is pretty huge so it is a tough call.
post #7068 of 7076 Old Today, 05:51 PM

Quote:
The infamous "charts" would put you just beneath edge of 4K benefits at 60" and well within it at 70". These are hotly debated though. A copy of one of the charts should be on the page before this one if you look back through the thread.

I would probably be inclined to get the M, but the difference between 60" and 70" is pretty huge so it is a tough call.
Yeah, I looked at those charts too and all they did was confuse me more! These two TV's are right in the middle of what I'm looking for! I'm thinking that since I'm pretty new at this whole TV thing and have only had a 42 inch LCD Display before, even LED would a big improvement for me. So I'm leaning for the E series 70 inch, but I don't wanna feel like it's already outdated in a couple years!
post #7069 of 7076 Old Today, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm looking to buy a new TV in the next month of two so i'm trying to nail down which one is good for my needs in case it goes on sale.

Budget: Less than $2,000

Seating distance:8' My two main viewing positions are 2' off from center of the screen at 8' back

Size/placement limitations: 60" is what I need. 65" is too big for the spot I am mounting it at. I've got a 55" right now and it feels a bit small. I'm going to wall mount this set, there is a window on the opposing wall so something with a semi non-reflective screen would be nice.

Uses and sources:90% of the time this TV will be used for Xbox One video games, so input lag and motion blur are the most important to me with picture quality in a close second and screen reflectiveness in third. The other 10% of the time with my TV is spent watching Blu Rays. So I want to get a 4K TV for whenever we get 4K Blu Rays, I can enjoy that goodness. I also would like to hook up my PC to this TV to do some 1080P gaming and maybe down the road when I get a better graphics card do a little bit of 4K gaming...but the PC part isn't really that important, priority number one is console gaming.

Room lighting:I would say a well lit living room, it's definitely not a theater room, but I usually close the curtains when I'm watching a movie or playing a game. Like I said before I have a window on the opposing wall right across from the TV

I tried Googling "best tv for video games" and there isn't much of a consensus between the web site reviewers I was looking at. I stumbled across this site called rtings.com, don't know if the site is any good, but it was laid out nice and the reviewer seemed to be pretty informative. Going off of that site I've narrowed it down to two sets the Samsung UN60JU7100 and the Visio M60-C3. I've got a bunch of conflicting personal opinions on both of these sets. I like the cheaper price of the Visio and the full-array LED backlighting. But I like the less reflective screen, and the better PC compatibility, and the overall better rating of the Samsung. The Visio has less input lag but more motion blur and the Samsung has less motion blur but more input lag. The difference in input lag most likely wont be noticed by me. But it's still a check to put in the Visio column. Also is the Samsung brand name better then Visio? Is there something else I should be looking at? Also I read somewhere that the one connect mini on the Samsung might be upgrade able down the road if a new HDMI version comes out...is this true? Thanks in advance for any advice!
post #7070 of 7076 Old Today, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by integ3 View Post
I tried Googling "best tv for video games" and there isn't much of a consensus between the web site reviewers I was looking at. I stumbled across this site called rtings.com, don't know if the site is any good, but it was laid out nice and the reviewer seemed to be pretty informative. Going off of that site I've narrowed it down to two sets the Samsung UN60JU7100 and the Visio M60-C3. I've got a bunch of conflicting personal opinions on both of these sets. I like the cheaper price of the Visio and the full-array LED backlighting. But I like the less reflective screen, and the better PC compatibility, and the overall better rating of the Samsung. The Visio has less input lag but more motion blur and the Samsung has less motion blur but more input lag. The difference in input lag most likely wont be noticed by me. But it's still a check to put in the Visio column. Also is the Samsung brand name better then Visio? Is there something else I should be looking at? Also I read somewhere that the one connect mini on the Samsung might be upgrade able down the road if a new HDMI version comes out...is this true? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Well, as you have already discovered, there are not a lot of sets that come in exactly 60". The two I would recommend you have already found.

The one connect mini should be upgradable if newer ports come out in the future which is a real possibility.

My opinion is the Samsung JU7100 is the better TV. It is subjectively better at motion handling. The Vizio only has one HDMI 2.0 port while they are all HDMI 2.0 on the Samsung. Also while the Vizio has slightly lower input lag it is only on the one port. The Vizio is FALD but the local dimming implementation is just OK. It doesn't compare to the FALD systems in current high-end TVs.

That being said, the Vizio is a good set and a good value for the money.
post #7071 of 7076 Old Today, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Well, as you have already discovered, there are not a lot of sets that come in exactly 60". The two I would recommend you have already found.

The one connect mini should be upgradable if newer ports come out in the future which is a real possibility.

My opinion is the Samsung JU7100 is the better TV. It is subjectively better at motion handling. The Vizio only has one HDMI 2.0 port while they are all HDMI 2.0 on the Samsung. Also while the Vizio has slightly lower input lag it is only on the one port. The Vizio is FALD but the local dimming implementation is just OK. It doesn't compare to the FALD systems in current high-end TVs.

That being said, the Vizio is a good set and a good value for the money.
Wow, thanks for the quick response! Do you think the local dimming on the edge lit Samsung 7100 is better than the FLAD with OK local dimming on the Visio M60-c3? Also do you think that my 2' off center at 8' seating distance is enough to lose noticeable color saturation? Thanks again for your advice.
post #7072 of 7076 Old Today, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the quick response! Do you think the local dimming on the edge lit Samsung 7100 is better than the FLAD with OK local dimming on the Visio M60-c3? Also do you think that my 2' off center at 8' seating distance is enough to lose noticeable color saturation? Thanks again for your advice.
The local dimming on the JU7100 is so utterly useless that I typically don't even list it is a feature. The Vizio has a better local dimming implementation by a mile, which isn't saying much

That being said, I don't think the JU7100 is edge lit, I believe it is direct lit but I guess I am not sure it is in every size. Samsung doesn't publish that info unfortunately so better to ask in the owners thread if you decide this TV is your front runner.

As for your angle, I think that would be an angle of 14 degrees which should be OK but you should probably check my math on that.
post #7073 of 7076 Unread Today, 08:15 PM

Quote:
The local dimming on the JU7100 is so utterly useless that I typically don't even list it is a feature. The Vizio has a better local dimming implementation by a mile, which isn't saying much

That being said, I don't think the JU7100 is edge lit, I believe it is direct lit but I guess I am not sure it is in every size. Samsung doesn't publish that info unfortunately so better to ask in the owners thread if you decide this TV is your front runner.

As for your angle, I think that would be an angle of 14 degrees which should be OK but you should probably check my math on that.
How about the Samsung UN60JS7000 it's a smidge out of my price rage but if it's consideribly better it might be worth it. Didn't rate as well on rtings.com looks like it's an IPS panel so off angle viewing would be better(which doesn't really matter in my case), but it looks like blacks might suffer. But it's a FALD set....
post #7074 of 7076 Unread Today, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How about the Samsung UN60JS7000 it's a smidge out of my price rage but if it's consideribly better it might be worth it. Didn't rate as well on rtings.com looks like it's an IPS panel so off angle viewing would be better(which doesn't really matter in my case), but it looks like blacks might suffer. But it's a FALD set....
It is not FALD and it has a 60Hz panel. In my opinion, the JU7100 is the better set. The 7000 is an entry-level set that Samsung put added nano-crystals to and sells it for a premium under the SUHD name.
post #7075 of 7076 Unread Today, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Also is there anything in the Sony family i should be looking at? Sony is what I currently have and I've been pretty happy with it. How about the X850B? I see that it's only availible in a 65" so i'd have to do a bit of construction in order to get it to fit But if it is an amazing TV it might be worth it...
post #7076 of 7076 Unread Today, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also is there anything in the Sony family i should be looking at? Sony is what I currently have and I've been pretty happy with it. How about the X850B? I see that it's only availible in a 65" so i'd have to do a bit of construction in order to get it to fit But if it is an amazing TV it might be worth it...
I don't think there is anything from Sony that is better than the JU7100 in the sub-2,000 range.

The X850B is edge-lit with an IPS panel. I have one, it is not a bad TV from last year, motion handling is excellent but black levels are not good at all in a dark room and uniformity is worse than normal on average.

This years model, the 65X850C, is over your budget substantially and even then is really more on-par with the JU7100 than significantly better. The model below that is the 65W850C which is a 1080p model and still I would take the JU7100 over it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page