the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7081 of 7090 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedplasma View Post
Is there a 4K TV worth looking at in my price range?
The Vizio M-series but you would be giving up way to much screen size to get 4K/UHD resolution. Since the smaller the screen, the less benefit is gained I would get the bigger E-Series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7090 Old Today, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
The Vizio M-series but you would be giving up way to much screen size to get 4K/UHD resolution. Since the smaller the screen, the less benefit is gained I would get the bigger E-Series.

Cool thanks!
post #7083 of 7090 Old Today, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peule_P View Post
OK, maybe it's better to post my question here instead of a separate topic, sorry guys, didn't see this thread when I posted my separate topic...

1. Budget
€2000 - €2500

2. Seating distance
approx. 4 meters

3. Size/placement limitations
No real limitation, but my personal preference would be around 55"

4. Uses and sources
Main use will be movies/series (Blu-Ray and 1080p x264 content) and Playstation 4, watching TV is minimal

5. Room lighting
Well lit room during the day, but most viewing will happen in the evening with some dimmed overhead halogen spotlights.

I’ve made a nice selection of good TV’s I’m considering (marketing names can be a little different in the Netherlands):
- Samsung UE55JS8500
- Sony KD-55X8505C
- Panasonic TX-55CX800

Biggest difference I see between these TV’s (theoretical) are the curved screen of the Samsung and the Full LED panel of the Panasonic.
Both the Samsung and Panasonic have good reviews here on the forums, so my decision would fully depend on curved screen VS. flat screen, but then there is still the Sony…

Any recommendations from you guys?
The dimming system on the 55" CX800 seems to be a bit lacking with its small amount of zones so the JS8500 may be the better choice if you are fine with the curve. I just get the feeling the 55" version of the Panasonic is the odd one out in the model range as it seems to have the worst native black level and then the limited dimming system. The 65" is fantastic while the 50" based on reviews seems to have a great native black level that helps make up for the low dimming zones it has.

One thing though is the 55" reviews don't use max dimming which is a must on the 65" (min and med are effectively useless or perhaps broken) so maybe on max dimming the 55" would be the clear choice over the Samsung. Without knowing this though I would probably choose the Samsung if I didn't mind the curve (I do mind the curve) since its dimming ability is known.

I wouldn't waste my time with the Sony. No dimming so it's going to have the weakest in use black level and contrast of the 3. Someone would have to be a huge biased Sony diehard to recommend that over the other two. If it were the 55" 9305 then we'd have a set to really think about and I'd most likely pick that one.
dalto and Peule_P like this.
post #7084 of 7090 Old Today, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been looking at these three TVs from Sony: KDLW700B, KDLW800C, and XBR55X800B. Anyone have thoughts on how they compare?

The TV will be used as the front end of controlling hi-rez digial audio through an HTPC and for watching concert Blu-ray discs. Less than 25% usage for watching TV/movies. The room isn't overly bright, though I do normal, watch with some overhead lights on in the room. My priorities:

High importance
  • Compatible with my Roomie Remote home theater app, including ability to Power on and control over IP. (thus my focus on Sony TVs, which I understand to be a brand that supports this on most models)
  • Fast/responsive interface
  • Quick to power on
  • Basic smart TV features (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.)
  • Under $1,200, and preferably under $1,000
Nice to have, but not that important (in order of priority)
  1. 3D
  2. 4K
post #7085 of 7090 Old Today, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
Compatible with my Roomie Remote home theater app, including ability to Power on and control over IP. (thus my focus on Sony TVs, which I understand to be a brand that supports this on most models)
As far as know, they all should support IP control. I don't know about roomie specifically.

Quote:
Fast/responsive interface)
The Android TV based W800C does not have a super fast interface. It isn't terrible or anything but it is not what I would call fast.

Quote:
Basic smart TV features (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.)
They all have basic smart TV features as you describe. The W800C which gives you a lot of options with Android TV but currently it is fairly buggy and there are still some apps missing out of the box. The "B" models are last years models and have a fairly basic smart TV interface that will probably meet your needs.

Quote:
3D, 4K
The X800B is 4K, the others are 1080p. None of them support 3D.

Assuming they are all the same size/price I would be inclined to get the X800B unless you do a lot of critical dark room viewing.

Alternatively, the W800C offers Android TV so if that is interesting to you and you don't mind being an early adopter that could be a good choice.

Ultimately, they would probably all be fine. I believe the X800B has an IPS panel and the other two have VA panels if you care about such things.
post #7086 of 7090 Old Today, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks dalto!

I don't really know enough to have any opinions in IPS vs VA.

According to Best Buy, the 800C supports 3D. The BB rep also claimed the Android interface in the new "C" models is faster than last year. But, I haven't been able to test, and I've definitely learned to take the BB reps information with a grain of salt.

I'm probably sitting 7' or 8' from my 55" panel. So, my understanding is 4k wouldn't be much of a difference.

Guess I could always jump up to the XBR55X850C and get all of the above. Ugh, decisions.
post #7087 of 7090 Old Today, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't really know enough to have any opinions in IPS vs VA.
IPS panels have overall lower contrast but wider viewing angles. VA the opposite.

Quote:
According to Best Buy, the 800C supports 3D. The BB rep also claimed the Android interface in the new "C" models is faster than last year. But, I haven't been able to test, and I've definitely learned to take the BB reps information with a grain of salt.
As for 3D that appears to be correct, the W800C does support 3D. I would swear I had looked it up before for someone. Sorry about that.

On the menus, after I got home I compared my two recent Sony sets. My "B" set was faster in the navigation of menus but took longer to load the apps. Overall, I don't think it was all that different.
post #7088 of 7090 Old Today, 08:27 PM

Liked: 1
Looking for a 55" 4k with 3D support and fast frame rate. Likely hookups are Apple TV, XBox, and another streaming blu ray player. Final destination will either be the master bedroom or loft or I'll get one for each. I like the Samsungs, but would like to hear other opinions. Less than 1500 since I'll spring on a 65" for the living room once our home is finished.

Upgrading because our 2007 Sonly KDW 55" is dying. HDMI keeps dropping out no matter which input or source.
post #7089 of 7090 Old Today, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my Panasonic TC-P65VT50 went out last week, I have a 4 year protection plan that through Service Net that is covers $2001 - $3000 since I paid $2,937 for the set in Sept. 2012.

The repair shop called my today and said the issue is the motherboard, but there isn't a motherboard for this model anywhere he's checked over the last two days and so has Service Net.

In my research to find my next TV in this price range I'm looking at the LG 65UF9500 or the Samsung UN65JS8500 these are both basically $2,999.

I wanted to see if anyone had better options or a favorite between the two I've listed? Also what would come closest to the plasma picture I was used to for the past three years?

If there's another set in this size and price range with equal or better picture than the ones I've listed let me know your thoughts.

I focused on the Samsung and LG because the repair shop said they both have the best repair records and replacement parts are easy to find.

Last edited by jreedar; Today at 09:19 PM.
post #7090 of 7090 Old Today, 10:19 PM

Liked: 0
Thanks to Dalto and rlindo!!

Based on your comments I've rules out the Sony X85 series.

So my choice will be either the CURVED Samsung 55JS8500 vs. FLAT Panasonic 55CX800!
Will have a look at both of them in the store and hopefully can see them side by side.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread