the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7081 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedplasma View Post
Is there a 4K TV worth looking at in my price range?
The Vizio M-series but you would be giving up way to much screen size to get 4K/UHD resolution. Since the smaller the screen, the less benefit is gained I would get the bigger E-Series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
The Vizio M-series but you would be giving up way to much screen size to get 4K/UHD resolution. Since the smaller the screen, the less benefit is gained I would get the bigger E-Series.

Cool thanks!
post #7083 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peule_P View Post
OK, maybe it's better to post my question here instead of a separate topic, sorry guys, didn't see this thread when I posted my separate topic...

1. Budget
€2000 - €2500

2. Seating distance
approx. 4 meters

3. Size/placement limitations
No real limitation, but my personal preference would be around 55"

4. Uses and sources
Main use will be movies/series (Blu-Ray and 1080p x264 content) and Playstation 4, watching TV is minimal

5. Room lighting
Well lit room during the day, but most viewing will happen in the evening with some dimmed overhead halogen spotlights.

I’ve made a nice selection of good TV’s I’m considering (marketing names can be a little different in the Netherlands):
- Samsung UE55JS8500
- Sony KD-55X8505C
- Panasonic TX-55CX800

Biggest difference I see between these TV’s (theoretical) are the curved screen of the Samsung and the Full LED panel of the Panasonic.
Both the Samsung and Panasonic have good reviews here on the forums, so my decision would fully depend on curved screen VS. flat screen, but then there is still the Sony…

Any recommendations from you guys?
The dimming system on the 55" CX800 seems to be a bit lacking with its small amount of zones so the JS8500 may be the better choice if you are fine with the curve. I just get the feeling the 55" version of the Panasonic is the odd one out in the model range as it seems to have the worst native black level and then the limited dimming system. The 65" is fantastic while the 50" based on reviews seems to have a great native black level that helps make up for the low dimming zones it has.

One thing though is the 55" reviews don't use max dimming which is a must on the 65" (min and med are effectively useless or perhaps broken) so maybe on max dimming the 55" would be the clear choice over the Samsung. Without knowing this though I would probably choose the Samsung if I didn't mind the curve (I do mind the curve) since its dimming ability is known.

I wouldn't waste my time with the Sony. No dimming so it's going to have the weakest in use black level and contrast of the 3. Someone would have to be a huge biased Sony diehard to recommend that over the other two. If it were the 55" 9305 then we'd have a set to really think about and I'd most likely pick that one.
dalto and Peule_P like this.
post #7084 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been looking at these three TVs from Sony: KDLW700B, KDLW800C, and XBR55X800B. Anyone have thoughts on how they compare?

The TV will be used as the front end of controlling hi-rez digial audio through an HTPC and for watching concert Blu-ray discs. Less than 25% usage for watching TV/movies. The room isn't overly bright, though I do normal, watch with some overhead lights on in the room. My priorities:

High importance
  • Compatible with my Roomie Remote home theater app, including ability to Power on and control over IP. (thus my focus on Sony TVs, which I understand to be a brand that supports this on most models)
  • Fast/responsive interface
  • Quick to power on
  • Basic smart TV features (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.)
  • Under $1,200, and preferably under $1,000
Nice to have, but not that important (in order of priority)
  1. 3D
  2. 4K
post #7085 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee532 View Post
Compatible with my Roomie Remote home theater app, including ability to Power on and control over IP. (thus my focus on Sony TVs, which I understand to be a brand that supports this on most models)
As far as know, they all should support IP control. I don't know about roomie specifically.

Quote:
Fast/responsive interface)
The Android TV based W800C does not have a super fast interface. It isn't terrible or anything but it is not what I would call fast.

Quote:
Basic smart TV features (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.)
They all have basic smart TV features as you describe. The W800C which gives you a lot of options with Android TV but currently it is fairly buggy and there are still some apps missing out of the box. The "B" models are last years models and have a fairly basic smart TV interface that will probably meet your needs.

Quote:
3D, 4K
The X800B is 4K, the others are 1080p. None of them support 3D.

Assuming they are all the same size/price I would be inclined to get the X800B unless you do a lot of critical dark room viewing.

Alternatively, the W800C offers Android TV so if that is interesting to you and you don't mind being an early adopter that could be a good choice.

Ultimately, they would probably all be fine. I believe the X800B has an IPS panel and the other two have VA panels if you care about such things.
post #7086 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks dalto!

I don't really know enough to have any opinions in IPS vs VA.

According to Best Buy, the 800C supports 3D. The BB rep also claimed the Android interface in the new "C" models is faster than last year. But, I haven't been able to test, and I've definitely learned to take the BB reps information with a grain of salt.

I'm probably sitting 7' or 8' from my 55" panel. So, my understanding is 4k wouldn't be much of a difference.

Guess I could always jump up to the XBR55X850C and get all of the above. Ugh, decisions.
post #7087 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't really know enough to have any opinions in IPS vs VA.
IPS panels have overall lower contrast but wider viewing angles. VA the opposite.

Quote:
According to Best Buy, the 800C supports 3D. The BB rep also claimed the Android interface in the new "C" models is faster than last year. But, I haven't been able to test, and I've definitely learned to take the BB reps information with a grain of salt.
As for 3D that appears to be correct, the W800C does support 3D. I would swear I had looked it up before for someone. Sorry about that.

On the menus, after I got home I compared my two recent Sony sets. My "B" set was faster in the navigation of menus but took longer to load the apps. Overall, I don't think it was all that different.
post #7088 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking for a 55" 4k with 3D support and fast frame rate. Likely hookups are Apple TV, XBox, and another streaming blu ray player. Final destination will either be the master bedroom or loft or I'll get one for each. I like the Samsungs, but would like to hear other opinions. Less than 1500 since I'll spring on a 65" for the living room once our home is finished.

Upgrading because our 2007 Sonly KDW 55" is dying. HDMI keeps dropping out no matter which input or source.
post #7089 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 PM

So my Panasonic TC-P65VT50 went out last week, I have a 4 year protection plan that through Service Net that is covers $2001 - $3000 since I paid $2,937 for the set in Sept. 2012.

The repair shop called my today and said the issue is the motherboard, but there isn't a motherboard for this model anywhere he's checked over the last two days and so has Service Net.

In my research to find my next TV in this price range I'm looking at the LG 65UF9500 or the Samsung UN65JS8500 these are both basically $2,999.

I wanted to see if anyone had better options or a favorite between the two I've listed? Also what would come closest to the plasma picture I was used to for the past three years?

If there's another set in this size and price range with equal or better picture than the ones I've listed let me know your thoughts.

I focused on the Samsung and LG because the repair shop said they both have the best repair records and replacement parts are easy to find.

Last edited by jreedar; 07-28-2015 at 09:19 PM.
post #7090 of 7108 Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 PM

Liked: 1
Thanks to Dalto and rlindo!!

Based on your comments I've rules out the Sony X85 series.

So my choice will be either the CURVED Samsung 55JS8500 vs. FLAT Panasonic 55CX800!
Will have a look at both of them in the store and hopefully can see them side by side.
rlindo likes this.
post #7091 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

Liked: 0
1. Budget - $5500
2. Seating distance - 10 - 12'
3. Size/placement limitations - None
4. Uses and sources - Dish, Streaming, some video games (plan on getting the xbox, XMBC
5. Room lighting - Room has no problems with glare. We normally watch with the lights on.

This is my first post, but been lurking quite a bit. We have a 10yr old Samsung DLP that we will be retiring. Its getting too dim and we can barely see anything during the day. I have already changed out the bulb. Anyways, we want something 75" and up, but if need be we can deal with a 65". We also want 3D as my kids and wife love watching movies in 3D.

I have been shopping around and have narrowed my choices down to the Sony XBR 75X850C, Sony XBR 79X900B, Samsung 65JS8500. We love the Samsung, but we can afford the SUHD 78". My wife loves the 79x900B as it is beautiful to look at. She thinks the tv should not only provide great pictures, but also represent itself as the centerpiece furniture to any family room especially when its that big. For me, I want to stick with he 65JS8500 because the of the great video quality. I haven't considered any other brands but willing to listen. I looked into the Panasonic, but my wife wants to view it first. So that kinda kills the Panasonic. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!
post #7092 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyavs View Post
Looking for a 55" 4k with 3D support and fast frame rate. Likely hookups are Apple TV, XBox, and another streaming blu ray player. Final destination will either be the master bedroom or loft or I'll get one for each. I like the Samsungs, but would like to hear other opinions. Less than 1500 since I'll spring on a 65" for the living room once our home is finished.
The two sets I would recommend in that size range for your needs would probably be the Sony 55X850C or the Samsung 55JU7100. They are both 1,599 right now but I imagine if you shopped around a little you could get them for $1500 fairly easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreedar View Post
In my research to find my next TV in this price range I'm looking at the LG 65UF9500 or the Samsung UN65JS8500 these are both basically $2,999.
It is hard to make a good recommendation without more information about the watching conditions, preferences and commonly used sources.

Speaking generally, unless you need the wider viewing angles of IPS, the Samsung JS8500 is the better set for most situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingtiger View Post
I have been shopping around and have narrowed my choices down to the Sony XBR 75X850C, Sony XBR 79X900B, Samsung 65JS8500. We love the Samsung, but we can afford the SUHD 78". My wife loves the 79x900B as it is beautiful to look at. She thinks the tv should not only provide great pictures, but also represent itself as the centerpiece furniture to any family room especially when its that big. For me, I want to stick with he 65JS8500 because the of the great video quality. I haven't considered any other brands but willing to listen. I looked into the Panasonic, but my wife wants to view it first. So that kinda kills the Panasonic. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!
The notable omission from my perspective would the Samsung 75JU7100 which is the model directly below the JS8500 in terms of performance.

The 79X900B is the only set on your list that uses an IPS panel. It has wider optimum viewing angles than the other sets on the list but lower overall contrast. However, if you always watch in a well lit room than you may not even notice the reduced contrast. It is last years model so make sure you get a good price on it if this is the way you decide to go.

The Samsung 75JU7100 is a good all around mid-level performer. It is the safest recommendation I can make in this situation.

The Sony 75X850C adds Android TV and WCG support over the JU7100. Android TV is a bit buggy at the moment so if that scares you it may be best to hold off on the Sony. Other than that, it is a great TV.

The Samsung 65JS8500 adds WCG, local dimming, HDR and more peak brightness as compared to the JU7100. The trade-off is that it is 10" smaller. It is worth noting that it's larger brother, the 78JS8600 doesn't support 3D. Just to keep you from agonizing over the thought of stepping up a size.

Both Samsungs will be more "future proof" with the one connect-mini boxes.

Hopefully that gives you at least a broad overview. If you have more specific questions please feel free to ask. No matter what I think you are going to see a big improvement over your DLP set.

As far as recommendations go I would probably get the 79X900B or the 75JU7100 but they ar all good options
post #7093 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

Quote:
The notable omission from my perspective would the Samsung 75JU7100 which is the model directly below the JS8500 in terms of performance.

The 79X900B is the only set on your list that uses an IPS panel. It has wider optimum viewing angles than the other sets on the list but lower overall contrast. However, if you always watch in a well lit room than you may not even notice the reduced contrast. It is last years model so make sure you get a good price on it if this is the way you decide to go.

The Samsung 75JU7100 is a good all around mid-level performer. It is the safest recommendation I can make in this situation.

The Sony 75X850C adds Android TV and WCG support over the JU7100. Android TV is a bit buggy at the moment so if that scares you it may be best to hold off on the Sony. Other than that, it is a great TV.

The Samsung 65JS8500 adds WCG, local dimming, HDR and more peak brightness as compared to the JU7100. The trade-off is that it is 10" smaller. It is worth noting that it's larger brother, the 78JS8600 doesn't support 3D. Just to keep you from agonizing over the thought of stepping up a size.

Both Samsungs will be more "future proof" with the one connect-mini boxes.

Hopefully that gives you at least a broad overview. If you have more specific questions please feel free to ask. No matter what I think you are going to see a big improvement over your DLP set.

As far as recommendations go I would probably get the 79X900B or the 75JU7100 but they ar all good options
I intentionally left out the 75JU7100. For some reason, i was set on Quantum dots. After making my last post, I realized that none of the Sony's have Quantum dots. I misunderstood some site thinking that all Sony Triluminus technology had Quantum dots. So I guess I am open to getting the 75JU7100 after all.

You're right about Samsung. If I want quantum dots and 3D, I am forced to go with the 65JU8500 or the next step up is 10k for the 78JS9500 which has the curved screen. I looked at its little brother, the 78JS9100. My god that is a beautiful screen. It is like night and day compared to the 79X900B. The colors was so impressive. My wife and I just stared at it in amazement. Of course, the folks at best buy refused to let me play with the settings. But im sure the Sony rep for best buy had his tv set to the max to give that wow factor.

The Sony is $5500 dollars, plus and addition $200 for the sub. However, I can get the free 4k streamer. Not sure if I will ever use it since I mostly watch only Dish and Kodi.
The samsung 75JU7100 is $4500, but its not the SUHD. sigh.... what to do. LOL
post #7094 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I intentionally left out the 75JU7100. For some reason, i was set on Quantum dots. After making my last post, I realized that none of the Sony's have Quantum dots. I misunderstood some site thinking that all Sony Triluminus technology had Quantum dots. So I guess I am open to getting the 75JU7100 after all.

You're right about Samsung. If I want quantum dots and 3D, I am forced to go with the 65JU8500 or the next step up is 10k for the 78JS9500 which has the curved screen. I looked at its little brother, the 78JS9100. My god that is a beautiful screen. It is like night and day compared to the 79X900B. The colors was so impressive. My wife and I just stared at it in amazement. Of course, the folks at best buy refused to let me play with the settings. But im sure the Sony rep for best buy had his tv set to the max to give that wow factor.

The Sony is $5500 dollars, plus and addition $200 for the sub. However, I can get the free 4k streamer. Not sure if I will ever use it since I mostly watch only Dish and Kodi.
The samsung 75JU7100 is $4500, but its not the SUHD. sigh.... what to do. LOL
Quantum Dots are one of the technologies used to produce a wider color gamut(WCG). Sony used to use quantum dots in 2013 but in 2014 switched to a Phosphor coating to achieve the same effect. Their TVs designated as having Triluminous panels in 2014 and 2015 have this technology. Which one is better is sometimes debated but they ultimately they produce much the same effect.

The JU7100 does not have support for WCG at all.

Personally, I don't think I could pay 5,500 for the 79X900B. The Sony 75X940C is a *much* better set and is only a couple of thousand more than that.

I would probably get the X850C or the JU7100 and save $1,000 or step up to the X940C. That being said, if you want the 79X900B you may be able to find it cheaper somewhere depending on where you are located and how much local stock there it.
rlindo likes this.

Last edited by dalto; Yesterday at 09:05 AM.
post #7095 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreedar View Post
So my Panasonic TC-P65VT50 went out last week, I have a 4 year protection plan that through Service Net that is covers $2001 - $3000 since I paid $2,937 for the set in Sept. 2012.

The repair shop called my today and said the issue is the motherboard, but there isn't a motherboard for this model anywhere he's checked over the last two days and so has Service Net.

I wanted to see if anyone had better options or a favorite between the two I've listed? Also what would come closest to the plasma picture I was used to for the past three years?

If there's another set in this size and price range with equal or better picture than the ones I've listed let me know your thoughts.

I focused on the Samsung and LG because the repair shop said they both have the best repair records and replacement parts are easy to find.
I'd prefer the JS8500 there. If you don't mind or can (no idea how the whole protection plan payment works) an extra couple hundred bucks then you can get the Panasonic 65CX850 right now for $3200 which is a solid option. It's a great set and has a very plasma-like image as it uses the same studio master drive tech that Panasonic used in their plasmas and uses an 8000 point 3d LUT so colours are very natural and accurate. It also has a great black level (no way either of those other two beat it in black level) provided dimming is in the max mode. The problem with it is you are basically blind buying there in the U.S. given Panasonic USA bizarrely not selling through best Buy/other B&M stores so that may factor in.

If you have to or plan to stay under 3k then I doubt there is really a better overall option than the JS8500 at 65".
post #7096 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Personally, I don't think I could pay 5,500 for the 79X900B. The Sony 75X940C is a *much* better set and is only a couple of thousand more than that.

I would probably get the X850C or the JU7100 and save $1,000 or step up to the X940C. That being said, if you want the 79X900B you may be able to find it cheaper somewhere depending on where you are located and how much local stock there it.
I'm with dalto here. If I'm looking at a set that big and ready to drop 5.5k then I'd fork out the extra cash for the 940c. If not then I'd go for a really good 65" set and not compromise overall picture quality just for size. An IPS panel as in the 900B for me is a no-go, especially at that size.
post #7097 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
I'm with dalto here. If I'm looking at a set that big and ready to drop 5.5k then I'd fork out the extra cash for the 940c. If not then I'd go for a really good 65" set and not compromise overall picture quality just for size. An IPS panel as in the 900B for me is a no-go, especially at that size.
wow, you're talking an additional 2K. We are already stretching our budget thin.... we might have to eat stale bread with salt for several months to get the 940c.
post #7098 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm torn between the 75x850c and the 75JU7100 for my media. No windows so lighting isn't an issue. Sitting 8-12 feet away. Will be primarily used for watching live sports, movies and some PS4 gaming.

Which do recommend?
post #7099 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
wow, you're talking an additional 2K. We are already stretching our budget thin.... we might have to eat stale bread with salt for several months to get the 940c.
By all means, don't spend than you are comfortable with. I would just not spend almost 6k for the year old 79X900B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis924 View Post
I'm torn between the 75x850c and the 75JU7100 for my media. No windows so lighting isn't an issue. Sitting 8-12 feet away. Will be primarily used for watching live sports, movies and some PS4 gaming.

Which do recommend?
They are both good sets.

The Samsung has full speed HDMI ports in it's upgradable one-connect mini.

The Sony has a WCG panel and Android TV. Android TV is pretty buggy right now but shows a lot of promise. If you are not willing to tolerate some bugs while they are fixing things you might not be happy here. Plan to have to reboot your TV daily if you use the apps.

Subjectively, I like the motion handling and upscaling better on the Sony but I would bet that most people would not even notice the difference since both are good.
post #7100 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Panasonic/Sony/Samsung

1. Budget - $2,000-$3,000
4. Uses and sources - Uverse, Streaming, PS3, Apple TV
5. Room lighting - Basement, lights above TV are separately controlled
6. Angle - Mostly straight on but will be viewable from Bar 30-45 degrees off center

I have been going back and forth between The 65" Sony 850c and Samsung JS8500 for weeks. Today I came across a 2014 Panasonic 65" AX800 for $1,600 at a local Best Buy and I am very tempted. I have only seen these TVs at Best Buy which is very difficult to make a real evaluation as the rooms are big and bright and the sources are always mfg. demo. I will be using this to mainly watch content from Uverse (sports are a priority), the occasional blu-ray and streaming netflix. Add to that my wife wants something that looks as close to our Panasonic ST60 plasma as possible, hates the soap opera effect on many LCD.

From people that have seen these TVs in a real setting with real world content, what are your thoughts? Is the Panasonic a viable option? Seems like a great value at $1,600.
post #7101 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I started searching for a new panel a few months ago but once the wife got involved the process turned into a semi-remodel of the home so I put the search on hold until the work was complete. My new media cabinet will be delivered next week so I am ready to buy a panel.

I am looking for a 55” or 60” panel. It will be wall mounted. The living room has a lot of windows, but we don’t watch TV during the day. Viewing distance is ~8 feet and we have some side chairs. We use Direct TV, Netflix and a DVD player. Sports, movies and regular programming. 3D is not a big driver and we are not gamers. I do want decent web browsing.

We’ll keep the panel for at least five years so was wondering about 4k (although at my budget it will be low end 4k). I am looking to spend ~$1200 and would likely buy locally (but will ship for deal) as I have a lot of physical options. I am open to 2014 models/close-outs & “open box” models too.

4k options:
Sony XBR 55X800B
VIZIO M60-C3
Vizio P602ui-B3
Samsung UN55JU6500
Samsung UN55HU6840

1080 options:
Sony KDL55W800B
Samsung UN55J6300
Samsung UN55H6350
Samsung UN55H6400
Samsung UN55H7150 (I heard great things but am not seeing under ~$1390)

Looking for opinions on the best TV available for my budget. TIA!
post #7102 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
I'd prefer the JS8500 there. If you don't mind or can (no idea how the whole protection plan payment works) an extra couple hundred bucks then you can get the Panasonic 65CX850 right now for $3200 which is a solid option. It's a great set and has a very plasma-like image as it uses the same studio master drive tech that Panasonic used in their plasmas and uses an 8000 point 3d LUT so colours are very natural and accurate. It also has a great black level (no way either of those other two beat it in black level) provided dimming is in the max mode. The problem with it is you are basically blind buying there in the U.S. given Panasonic USA bizarrely not selling through best Buy/other B&M stores so that may factor in.

If you have to or plan to stay under 3k then I doubt there is really a better overall option than the JS8500 at 65".
Thanks! Just what I needed to know. I had not idea about the Panasonic 65CX850, so if they will let me I'll go that route if not I'll go with the JS8500.
post #7103 of 7108 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
By all means, don't spend than you are comfortable with. I would just not spend almost 6k for the year old 79X900B.

I saw one locally for $4500 (the 79X900B), at that price is it tempting enough in your opinion? Otherwise I will do a 75JU7100 or 75X850C + nice soundbar (although it is tough to pick a nice soundbar). I like the X940C of course, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much. Until I saw the Sharp UH in person I thought about getting that and then moving it to the bedroom and getting something nice in a year or two when 4k etc. settle out a bit.

Thanks!
post #7104 of 7108 Old Today, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasol1 View Post
I saw one locally for $4500 (the 79X900B), at that price is it tempting enough in your opinion? Otherwise I will do a 75JU7100 or 75X850C + nice soundbar (although it is tough to pick a nice soundbar). I like the X940C of course, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much. Until I saw the Sharp UH in person I thought about getting that and then moving it to the bedroom and getting something nice in a year or two when 4k etc. settle out a bit.

Thanks!
where did you see that? the best i found was sony.com where they are giving me a 550 credit, the media player and green glove delivery.
post #7105 of 7108 Old Today, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsl1282 View Post
1. Budget - $2,000-$3,000
4. Uses and sources - Uverse, Streaming, PS3, Apple TV
5. Room lighting - Basement, lights above TV are separately controlled
6. Angle - Mostly straight on but will be viewable from Bar 30-45 degrees off center

I have been going back and forth between The 65" Sony 850c and Samsung JS8500 for weeks. Today I came across a 2014 Panasonic 65" AX800 for $1,600 at a local Best Buy and I am very tempted. I have only seen these TVs at Best Buy which is very difficult to make a real evaluation as the rooms are big and bright and the sources are always mfg. demo. I will be using this to mainly watch content from Uverse (sports are a priority), the occasional blu-ray and streaming netflix. Add to that my wife wants something that looks as close to our Panasonic ST60 plasma as possible, hates the soap opera effect on many LCD.

From people that have seen these TVs in a real setting with real world content, what are your thoughts? Is the Panasonic a viable option? Seems like a great value at $1,600.
I have never seen the AX800 in action but the JS8500 is definitely a better set than the X850C in most cases. That is a pretty significant price difference for the Panasonic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
I am looking for a 55” or 60” panel. It will be wall mounted. The living room has a lot of windows, but we don’t watch TV during the day. Viewing distance is ~8 feet and we have some side chairs. We use Direct TV, Netflix and a DVD player. Sports, movies and regular programming. 3D is not a big driver and we are not gamers. I do want decent web browsing.

4k options:
Sony XBR 55X800B
VIZIO M60-C3
Vizio P602ui-B3
Samsung UN55JU6500
Samsung UN55HU6840

1080 options:
Sony KDL55W800B
Samsung UN55J6300
Samsung UN55H6350
Samsung UN55H6400
Samsung UN55H7150 (I heard great things but am not seeing under ~$1390)

Looking for opinions on the best TV available for my budget. TIA!
Wow, that is a lot of sets. If a web browser is important I don't think the Vizio's have a browser, do they?

Both the Sony's are decent sets in that price range. The X800B is an IPS panel so it will have lower contrast but better viewing angles so you might want to consider that. The 1080P W800B is a VA panel.

The only Samsung on that list I could really recommend over the Sony sets is the Samsung UN55H7150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasol1 View Post
$4500 would be the point where I would find it interesting, yes. As long as you don't typically watch in very dark environments where the IPS panel would bother you.
post #7106 of 7108 Old Today, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help choosing a 50" LED

Hi all,

I'm looking for a 50" TV (no more than 43-44" wide)
I'm in Canada
I'm considering one of these two:

Sony KDL-50W800C
or
Panasonic TC50AS630

Do you guys feel one may be better than the other?
Or any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance
post #7107 of 7108 Unread Today, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1. Budget
$1500-$2500

2. Seating distance
Approx 10-15 ft

Would prefer 65" though will compromise and drop to a 55" or jump up to a 75" depending on what you guys think.

4. Uses and sources
90% of this TV's life will be spent gaming, my roomates and I are big gamers whether it be pc or ps4 so that is the main priority (mostly rpgs and racing games, though we do have the occasional fps game thrown in) outside of that though we will be watching movies through kodi and blu-rays through the ps4 as well as Netflix and amazon prime streaming.

5. Room lighting
The room will be well lit as it is our central area plenty of lights and windows. During the night when is when we will mostly be using it however, lights off and so forth.

I've compiled a list of TV's that I am considering I get a huge discount on Sony and Samsung from my work and as such that is the main premise behind these. I am not opposed to spending more on a better/ clearer picture as blacks are hugely important to me. I know OLED would have the best blacks however I have heard a ton of negativity on it when it comes to gaming.

Short List:
Sony XBR-65x850C I have always liked Sony and like the Idea of having android tv built in for streaming as well as older emulators
$1300
Sony XBR-65x900C I'm not sure on this one just how different it would be from the 850 outside of looks
$2000
Sony XBR-65x930C I know its the best of the bunch here I just don't know if I can handle the speakers...
$2000
Samsung UN65JS8500 I Prefer the looks of the 900c but this is a close second however it's slightly pricier than the Sony and the HDR on it is supposedly meh
$2030
Samsung UN65JS9000 Potentially better though I'm not a big fan of the curve
$2250
LG 55EG9600 I love the OLED aspect however It's significantly pricier and I'm not sure if I'm willing to step down to the lower end version.
$2897

What do you guys think? Should I just get the cheapest and hold out until OLED comes down in price and up in quality? Any help would be appreciated.
post #7108 of 7108 Unread Today, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfo View Post
1. Budget
$1500-$2500

2. Seating distance
Approx 10-15 ft

Would prefer 65" though will compromise and drop to a 55" or jump up to a 75" depending on what you guys think.

4. Uses and sources
90% of this TV's life will be spent gaming, my roomates and I are big gamers whether it be pc or ps4 so that is the main priority (mostly rpgs and racing games, though we do have the occasional fps game thrown in) outside of that though we will be watching movies through kodi and blu-rays through the ps4 as well as Netflix and amazon prime streaming.

5. Room lighting
The room will be well lit as it is our central area plenty of lights and windows. During the night when is when we will mostly be using it however, lights off and so forth.

I've compiled a list of TV's that I am considering I get a huge discount on Sony and Samsung from my work and as such that is the main premise behind these. I am not opposed to spending more on a better/ clearer picture as blacks are hugely important to me. I know OLED would have the best blacks however I have heard a ton of negativity on it when it comes to gaming.

Short List:
Sony XBR-65x850C I have always liked Sony and like the Idea of having android tv built in for streaming as well as older emulators
$1300
Sony XBR-65x900C I'm not sure on this one just how different it would be from the 850 outside of looks
$2000
Sony XBR-65x930C I know its the best of the bunch here I just don't know if I can handle the speakers...
$2000
Samsung UN65JS8500 I Prefer the looks of the 900c but this is a close second however it's slightly pricier than the Sony and the HDR on it is supposedly meh
$2030
Samsung UN65JS9000 Potentially better though I'm not a big fan of the curve
$2250
LG 55EG9600 I love the OLED aspect however It's significantly pricier and I'm not sure if I'm willing to step down to the lower end version.
$2897

What do you guys think? Should I just get the cheapest and hold out until OLED comes down in price and up in quality? Any help would be appreciated.
The OLED is going to be a less than ideal set for a gamer because of input lag and motion handling challenges.

If I was buying a TV on that list at those prices for primarily gaming it would be either the JS8500 or the Sony X930C.

The X850C is inferior to the X930C in every way except width That being said, for 1300 it would be a great set. In fact if you can get the 75X850C for a good price I might consider that as well.

The X900C is ultra-thin and has good viewing angles with it's IPS panel but other than that I am not sure there is much to recommend it compared to the other sets on your list. I would definitely get the X930C over it and I might even get the X850C over it.

The JS900 is basically a curved JS8500 with a full one connect box so if you don't like curved I am not sure why you would consider it. Especially since you would have to pay a premium over the X930C.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread