the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 241 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 205Likes

Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidandrewway View Post
1. Budget : $250-400
Looking at Sony. Do not mind used. Major import is motion blur. I want my sports to run clearly. Thanks
I know you posted this before as well but I seem to be the only one replying in this thread right now and I am not well versed in the prices for small used TVs. Generally, if you can find a recent Sony with a 120Hz panel it should have good motion handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
Budget: $1500
Seating Distance: 10-12 feet
Size: 60"
Angle: 22 Deg off-axis (ie couch is 5 feet off of straight ahead and a little closer, depending).
Room light: bright ambient during day, dark foreground at night
Sources: HD Cable, Streaming, Bluray/DVD, movies, college football and baseball in season

The Vizio M55 is looking pretty attractive (I'm a cheapskate, but willing to spend if marked advantages). What else should I consider? I'm open to avoiding 4K.
I would step up the Vizio M60-C3 if you like the Vizio. It is still in your price range and the 60" and larger models include a 120Hz panel which gives you more options for motion handling.

That being said, you are off angle enough that you are going to see a color/contrast shift with a VA panel based set like the Vizio. You might want to go to a store and see if the shift bothers you. In your price range you are probably going to be paying more or getting less if need to switch to IPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpalgut View Post
I just bought a new 2015 75" Samsung UN75J300 (waiting for pickup) for $2100 (comes with 2 yr warranty, 1 from manufacturer, the other from credit card company) but I just came across an acquaintance who would sell me his used 2013 80" Sharp Aqueos Quattron LC-80LE844U for $2000 (no warranty). It's a pretty dissimilar comparison and then there's the warranty vs no warranty, so I was hoping someone would be able to help me out here. This is for my living room, 16-18 ft viewing distance. Normal lighting, sunlight gets in during the day, but only through blinds. Used for movies, streaming, OTA tv/sports. Which one should I choose? Thanks so much!
I would not buy a 3 year old LED TV for $2,000. I have not spent time with one in person but looking at the reviews and the specs it looks to me like an mid-range set from 3 years ago. The large price was probably driven by the fact that 80" panels were more expensive then. Having no warranty on a 3yr old TV you are about to move from one location to another seems risky for something that you are paying 2,000 for. Also, the manufacturers support the apps on the new TVs for 2-3 years typically so it is not clear how much longer those will work at this point.

Just my opinion having not spent any time with that TV. You might try asking in the owners thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Current TV: A Sony CRT HDTV (super fine pitch). IMO, our current TV has excellent picture quality. I'm a bit scared to get a new TV, but want to enter the 1080p/4k world and have a bigger screen. Current screen size is only 31" in 16:9, so even a 50" TV will probably seem huge to us (which is exciting!). If my understanding is correct, CRT TV's have basically no motion blur or input lag, so I'm a bit scared to enter into a technology that has to deal with these factors.
Budget $1,000
Viewing Distance: Currently 5 feet. The maximum distance possible in our seating location is 7.5 feet. I honestly really enjoy the 5ft. distance, so I figure we can save money by buying a smaller (50-55") TV and staying at the same distance. If the picture isn't as great as expected, we could try moving it back a foot or two.
Angle: We have one couch directly in front of the TV, so viewing angle should not be an issue.
Lighting: Tv is in basement with blackout curtains. Sunlight is a nonissue, but we do watch TV most often with the lights on (on the ceiling). I'm guessing this is pretty much a non-factor.
Viewing preferences: Sports (hockey) and video games take up about 50% of TV time, so the TV must perform well in these instances.

Thinking Vizio M or waiting to see what the Vizio P offers when it comes out. I'm scared to move on from CRT. I have watched some programming on year or two old Vizio E (60") and was impressed. Didn't watch hockey or play games though. I've also seen LCD TV's that look terrible and would never be happy with--my buddy has a 65" LG (not sure on model) and I don't like it at all.

Sometimes I think I'm really picky, but other times I think I'd be happy with an E series. I don't know what to think. I know that when I do get a new TV, as soon as I turn it on, if the PQ is poor, my heart is going to sink, lol! Regardless of the fact that supposedly some TV's are very "calibrateable," it's going to scare me.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Guy View Post
Sometimes I think I'm really picky, but other times I think I'd be happy with an E series. I don't know what to think. I know that when I do get a new TV, as soon as I turn it on, if the PQ is poor, my heart is going to sink, lol! Regardless of the fact that supposedly some TV's are very "calibrateable," it's going to scare me.
For that budget and size the 55" 2015 Vizio M-series should definitely be something to consider. The other option would be a 1080p set like the Sony 55W800C.

SD content is where you will notice the biggest difference. Blowing up SD content onto a much bigger screen definitely leaves something to be desired.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Room size is 14 x 15 with another area adjoining but independent light control.

Viewing distance is 12 to 15 feet depending on couch position

Budget is 2000 for tv and surround.

Use will be mainly sports then movies and some gaming.

I'm coming from a 42" Panasonic plasma.

Thinking vizio m, but concerned about blur for sports. Is that good or do I need to to refigure my budget? Torn between whether I need 4k now, or is there a goo 1080p that will suffice for some time until 4k content is more prevalent.

Also any recommendations for decent surround setup $500 or there about?

PS: sorry about the above post of "confused", typing this on phone and hit wrong button
Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Experts,

1. Budget - $1500 $2000
2. Seating distance: 8-10'
3. Size/placement limitations: Corner with one short wall. 55" - 60"
4. Uses and sources: XFinity HD, Blu-Ray, Std Netflix and Amazon
5. Room lighting: bright with windows and reflections during the day

4k is interesting and what Ive seen in the stores looks amazing. I'm open to a 4k set, but 1080 HAS to look good. I've read some reviews where they say 1080 looks bad on a 4k set?? I lean towards Sonys because I've had great luck with them and they've been very reliable. I have a Samsung as well so that's fine too. One thing that I absolutely hate is the Soap Opera Effect. I'm open to getting a std HD set, but I'll admit, getting one while there are many 4k sets out just seems wrong to me.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Apologies in advance as this is a little off-topic due to the fact that I've already narrowed down my choices for an HDTV.

Looking to pick up my first HDTV (ever) which will also be my first major Black Friday purchase.

About how much of a discount can I expect for HDTVs in the $2,200 to $3,000 price range?

I've narrowed my choices down to these sets (in order):
  1. Vizio P65 (anticipated)
  2. Sony XBR65X850C
  3. Samsung UN65JS8500
  4. LG 65UF8500
Old 08-09-2015, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am stationed in korea -- new place doesn't work with the projector. Amazingly Samsung and LG TVs are crazy expensive on the Korean Market. On base I can get:

Sony XBR55X850B
Samsung UN55HU8500

Both for about $1,400.

The oddball for $500 is an Lexdium LTX CND-554KA -- it's UHD but I don't know if it does HDMI 2.0 or the appropriate DRM...

Interested in PQ only -- I have a 5.1 system and plenty of devices to pump content

Distance is 5-10 feet and 45 degrees from centerline of the screen

Here for a year -- so I'm not sure if I should get something to get through the year or get something nice to keep and maybe move into the bedroom/office when I move back to the states.

Apex
Redmond, WA
Professional Lurker of AVSForum.com

Last edited by Apex; 08-09-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
1. Budget : $250-400
2. Seating Distance: 5-7ft
3. Size/placement Limitations: 40-55"
4. Uses and Sources: TV, HTPC
5. Room Lighting: Normal to Dark. Some reflection present at times.

Looking at Sony. Do not mind used. Major import is motion blur. I want my sports to run clearly. Thanks
I have a Sony KDS-50A2020 50-Inch 1080p Rear Projection HDTV for sale. I am not sure where you live but it could fit your needs. If you're interested let me know.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:48 AM

I am at 24016. Roanoke,Va
Old 08-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Can you give me your email address and I will send you some info?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I am at 24016. Roanoke,Va
Also, I live in Glen Burnie, MD 21061. Not sure if shipping is affordable. Private message me if you like.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoda View Post
Room size is 14 x 15 with another area adjoining but independent light control.

Viewing distance is 12 to 15 feet depending on couch position

Budget is 2000 for tv and surround.

Use will be mainly sports then movies and some gaming.

I'm coming from a 42" Panasonic plasma.

Thinking vizio m, but concerned about blur for sports. Is that good or do I need to to refigure my budget? Torn between whether I need 4k now, or is there a goo 1080p that will suffice for some time until 4k content is more prevalent.
If you are 12' away and your budget is $1500 for the TV the Vizio M65-C1 is your best choice for 4K. Motion handling is very subjective. My advice would be to download a clip of your favorite sport onto a USB thumb drive and take it to the store.Ask them to play it on the TV, see if it works for you or not. The motion handling will probably be fine but better to verify with your own eyes.

If the Vizio M-series does not work for you because the motion handling the 1080p Sony 65W850C is a good choice in that same budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoda View Post
Also any recommendations for decent surround setup $500 or there about?
Soundbar or full 5.1 audio system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FronzDan View Post
1. Budget - $1500 $2000
2. Seating distance: 8-10'
3. Size/placement limitations: Corner with one short wall. 55" - 60"
4. Uses and sources: XFinity HD, Blu-Ray, Std Netflix and Amazon
5. Room lighting: bright with windows and reflections during the day

4k is interesting and what Ive seen in the stores looks amazing. I'm open to a 4k set, but 1080 HAS to look good. I've read some reviews where they say 1080 looks bad on a 4k set?? I lean towards Sonys because I've had great luck with them and they've been very reliable. I have a Samsung as well so that's fine too. One thing that I absolutely hate is the Soap Opera Effect. I'm open to getting a std HD set, but I'll admit, getting one while there are many 4k sets out just seems wrong to me.
With your budget/size all the best options are going to be 4K/UHD anyway.

In 60" the Samsung 60JU7100 and the Vizio M60-C3 are your best options. The Vizio is a good set for the money and the Samsung is a good all-around performer.

In 55" the Samsung 55JS8500 and the Sony 55X850C. Of those two I like the Samsung better overall. HDR support, WCG support, local dimming, high peak brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder93090 View Post
Apologies in advance as this is a little off-topic due to the fact that I've already narrowed down my choices for an HDTV.

Looking to pick up my first HDTV (ever) which will also be my first major Black Friday purchase.

About how much of a discount can I expect for HDTVs in the $2,200 to $3,000 price range?

2. Sony XBR65X850C
  3. Samsung UN65JS8500
  4. LG 65UF8500
Look up last years models in the same sizes and then go to camelcamelcamel.com and see how much prices fell on those around black friday. Not a perfect science but should be pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I am stationed in korea -- new place doesn't work with the projector. Amazingly Samsung and LG TVs are crazy expensive on the Korean Market. On base I can get:

Sony XBR55X850B
Samsung UN55HU8500

Both for about $1,400.

The oddball for $500 is an Lexdium LTX CND-554KA -- it's UHD but I don't know if it does HDMI 2.0 or the appropriate DRM...

Interested in PQ only -- I have a 5.1 system and plenty of devices to pump content

Distance is 5-10 feet and 45 degrees from centerline of the screen
If you are 45degrees off axis I would definitely go for the Sony 55X850B which looks better off-axis with it's IPS panel.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder93090 View Post

2. Sony XBR65X850C
  3. Samsung UN65JS8500
  4. LG 65UF8500

You could probably get that LG 65UF8500 for less than $1700 locally. Check out Craigslist for brand new ones if you don't mind getting it from a private seller. Just make sure to inspect the unit carefully.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Moving and deciding to move on from my Sony 34 inch XBR Tube!
1. Budget $1500 - $2000
2. Seating Distance - 8 ft, mostly direct viewing
3. Viewing - Sports (Football, Hockey, Baseball), Movies, TV Shows
4. Feed - Currently AT&T U-Verse, probably going Directv
5. Room will have light coming from door wall directly behind the seating on opposite wall as TV

Thanks in advance!!

Peter L.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:52 AM

1. Budget $700 or less
2. Seating Distance - 10 ft, direct and slightly offset viewing
3. Viewing - Mostly Blue Ray movies and TV Shows, some sports - football, hockey
4. Feed - Dish - but I"m considering changing to Sling/Netflix etc.
5. Room, pretty dark, we mostly watch at night.

Would like smart tv capabilities if the informed folks here think that is worthwhile, no 3d required.

Size 55" +/-

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba5 View Post
Moving and deciding to move on from my Sony 34 inch XBR Tube!
1. Budget $1500 - $2000
2. Seating Distance - 8 ft, mostly direct viewing
3. Viewing - Sports (Football, Hockey, Baseball), Movies, TV Shows
4. Feed - Currently AT&T U-Verse, probably going Directv
5. Room will have light coming from door wall directly behind the seating on opposite wall as TV
If you want a 65" TV, I would look at the Vizio M65-C1. It is a good budget 4K/UHD TV.

In a 55" TV you could get the Samsung 55JS8500 in your budget. Compared to the Vizio the Samsung adds 3D, WCG support, HDR support, is brighter, has some degree of future proofing with the one connect mini and has better built-in apps. However, it is 10" smaller which is a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard11 View Post
1. Budget $700 or less
2. Seating Distance - 10 ft, direct and slightly offset viewing
3. Viewing - Mostly Blue Ray movies and TV Shows, some sports - football, hockey
4. Feed - Dish - but I"m considering changing to Sling/Netflix etc.
5. Room, pretty dark, we mostly watch at night.

Would like smart tv capabilities if the informed folks here think that is worthwhile, no 3d required.
There are not a lot of TVs in that price/size range. I would definitely look at the 55" Vizio E-series

Last edited by dalto; 08-10-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Budget is ~$900

Bedroom tv on a stand
view anywhere from 7-15 feet back sitting straight forward so viewing angle isn't a high priority.
Looking for at least 55in
4K is a plus but not a requirement, would rather have good picture and low motion blur
mainly watching movies and sports with some light gaming

Options right now

UN55H7150 Best Buy display model going for around $900
UN55JU6400 at Dell for 1,197.99 with a $400 egift card I would probably use for a new laptop
Vizio M55-C2
Something else

Trying to find info on the 6400. Seems the picture is good, though not HDR compliant, but I'm not sure what the refresh rate is and if it can do 24p for movies. Any idea here or recommendation on something to look for on sale on labor day?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Daimao View Post
Budget is ~$900

Bedroom tv on a stand
view anywhere from 7-15 feet back sitting straight forward so viewing angle isn't a high priority.
Looking for at least 55in
4K is a plus but not a requirement, would rather have good picture and low motion blur
mainly watching movies and sports with some light gaming

Options right now

UN55H7150 Best Buy display model going for around $900
UN55JU6400 at Dell for 1,197.99 with a $400 egift card I would probably use for a new laptop
Vizio M55-C2
Something else

Trying to find info on the 6400. Seems the picture is good, though not HDR compliant, but I'm not sure what the refresh rate is and if it can do 24p for movies. Any idea here or recommendation on something to look for on sale on labor day?
I would lean towards the 55H7150 if motion handling is your top priority.

The 55" 2015 Vizio M-series is probably your best bet for 4K/UHD.

Although I haven't verified it I doubt the Samsung JU6400 has support for 24p since Samsung's other 60Hz 2015 TVs don't support it.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 7864
I need something about 46 inches...

I know nothing about TV's. Do I want an LC, Plasma, something else.

I don't need the best but don't want an old technology.

I'd like to say around $500 but could go up to $1,200 or so.

I only need one HDMI input which will run from my Oppo 105.

HELP< I am cluless

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

HELP< I am cluless
90% sports... I do not want 3d

and it does not need to be smart, the OppO is smart and so is the ROKU stick that runs through the OPPO.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Been out of the loop for a while, my 10year old Mitsubishi 65413 65" rear projection TV just died. It is setup in my basement as a dedicated theater room with tiered seating. Because it is an old rear projection unit it is huge and the screen is about 4' from the wall behind it currently. The room is long and narrow 12x21 with seating distances about 8.5' and 17' currently (2 rows tiered) viewing angle is pretty much straight ahead in any seat. I could wall mount a new unit and gain about 3.5' of distance or position a stand between the current entertainment center towers and set the new unit about where the screen currently is. Looking for at least a 65" but would consider a 70 or larger if I end up wall mounting it. I plan to update my old receiver also as my current Yamaha RX-V1400 does not do HDMI switching as well as add a bluray player. The new receiver I am looking at Yamaha RX-A2050 which claims 4k up-conversion I just haven't seen or played with any of the newer stuff to know how it works in real life. I have been living with 1080i on the old set so that can be taken into account.

1. Budget: would like to keep it under $2500 if possible
2. Seating Distance: 8.5' and 17' tiered seating, direct viewing
3. Viewing: Movies, Network TV via OTA antenna, Sports (football, college basketball and Drag Racing) very light gaming on Wii
4. Feed - DirecTV, OTA local network stations, Netflix
5. Room: Basement with immediate room window covered and ceiling lights on dimmer, very little ambient light

Thanks
Craig
Old 08-10-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:

HELP< I am cluless
Quote:

and it does not need to be smart, the OppO is smart and so is the ROKU stick that runs through the OPPO.
do you care about 4K? If you have the internet speeds you can stream more and more 4K content from amazon and netflix and the like.

You can get 48" Samsung JU6500 which has a pretty good response time which you want when watching sports. If you want to go up to the top of your range and can handle 50" you can look at the Samsung JU7100 which has even better response time. The JU7100 has the minibox though, which can add to clutter around the tv. It's basically a little box that has a cord that plugs into the tv and is smart part of the tv and has all the hdmi inputs. The benefit is that it is easily upgradable if new connectors become standard. If you want a cheaper option, then look at the Vizio E50-C1. It won't have as good a picture as the Samsungs though.

Really if sports is your main thing, you might look for a plasma but they can be tough to find nowadays. They have the best refresh rates, but I don't have much experience with them.

Last edited by Viper Daimao; 08-10-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: adding quotes
Old 08-10-2015, 01:22 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Samsung UN55JU6400F 4K TV? Dell currently has a deal for $1,197 for the TV and it comes with a $400 gift card, but I don't know the quality of it. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 08-10-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:

HELP< I am cluless
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dero501 View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Samsung UN55JU6400F 4K TV? Dell currently has a deal for $1,197 for the TV and it comes with a $400 gift card, but I don't know the quality of it. Any help is much appreciated!
look a few posts up as I had a question on the same deal. From what I can gather it's a pretty good tv, but it's 60Hz refresh rate means it might not be the best for watching sports or fast moving scenes and can't do 24p bluray movie playback.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I know you posted this before as well but I seem to be the only one replying in this thread right now and I am not well versed in the prices for small used TVs. Generally, if you can find a recent Sony with a 120Hz panel it should have good motion handling.

I would step up the Vizio M60-C3 if you like the Vizio. It is still in your price range and the 60" and larger models include a 120Hz panel which gives you more options for motion handling.

That being said, you are off angle enough that you are going to see a color/contrast shift with a VA panel based set like the Vizio. You might want to go to a store and see if the shift bothers you. In your price range you are probably going to be paying more or getting less if need to switch to IPS.

I would not buy a 3 year old LED TV for $2,000. I have not spent time with one in person but looking at the reviews and the specs it looks to me like an mid-range set from 3 years ago. The large price was probably driven by the fact that 80" panels were more expensive then. Having no warranty on a 3yr old TV you are about to move from one location to another seems risky for something that you are paying 2,000 for. Also, the manufacturers support the apps on the new TVs for 2-3 years typically so it is not clear how much longer those will work at this point.

Just my opinion having not spent any time with that TV. You might try asking in the owners thread.
Thank you for your reply. Check this out. Went to local B&M to lay eyes on some sets. They had a KDL70W850B on a wall with a bunch of Samsungs, Sharps, LGs, 4K and otherwise and even an OLED.

The 850B smoked em to my eyes. I had not looked back at 2014 sets and see that rtings gave it an 8.6, which is better than anything in the 2015 lineup.

I have two kind of issues of importance: first is brightness/contrast as our living room is bright during the day; the second is motion blur for sports. Appears the W850B is excellent on both, which it appeared to be to my eyes.

My "space" requires a 60". The 1000-1200 price range is right in my wheelhouse. Any reason I should consider anything else?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

HELP< I am cluless
From a technology perspective, plasma is gone at this point. There are really only two prevalent technologies, OLED and LED-LCD. OLED is going to be far outside of your price point so LED-LCD is the way to go.

46" TVs are not all that common these days. 43", 49" and 50" are more common.

The Vizio E-series is your most economical choice. A good value, basic 1080p TV.

The 2015 Vizio M-series is a step up from there, adds more zones of local dimming(better blacks) and 4K resolution. I would take the 50" over the 49" unless you need wide viewing angles as the 50" has a VA panel.

The Sony 50W800C is a different option from the Vizio M-series. Here you will get a 120Hz panel in a 1080p set. You also get Android TV built-in.

The best choice in a smaller size is probably the Samsung 48JS8500 but that comes at a substantial price premium.

Take a look at those to start and if you want more info let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KWIK72 View Post
Been out of the loop for a while, my 10year old Mitsubishi 65413 65" rear projection TV just died. It is setup in my basement as a dedicated theater room with tiered seating. Because it is an old rear projection unit it is huge and the screen is about 4' from the wall behind it currently. The room is long and narrow 12x21 with seating distances about 8.5' and 17' currently (2 rows tiered) viewing angle is pretty much straight ahead in any seat. I could wall mount a new unit and gain about 3.5' of distance or position a stand between the current entertainment center towers and set the new unit about where the screen currently is. Looking for at least a 65" but would consider a 70 or larger if I end up wall mounting it. I plan to update my old receiver also as my current Yamaha RX-V1400 does not do HDMI switching as well as add a bluray player. The new receiver I am looking at Yamaha RX-A2050 which claims 4k up-conversion I just haven't seen or played with any of the newer stuff to know how it works in real life. I have been living with 1080i on the old set so that can be taken into account.

1. Budget: would like to keep it under $2500 if possible
2. Seating Distance: 8.5' and 17' tiered seating, direct viewing
3. Viewing: Movies, Network TV via OTA antenna, Sports (football, college basketball and Drag Racing) very light gaming on Wii
4. Feed - DirecTV, OTA local network stations, Netflix
5. Room: Basement with immediate room window covered and ceiling lights on dimmer, very little ambient light
My best recommendation for a 65" set in that price range would be the Samsung 65JU7100. A good, but not exceptional, all around performer in UHD.

A slightly bigger choice would be the UHD Vizio M70-C3.

My favorite 75" set in that price range would probably be the 1080p Sony 75W850C.

Hopefully, that will get you started.

As a side note, my RX-A2050 receiver showed up last week. You probably don't want your reciever to upscale to 4K/UHD. You are better off letting the TV do that
eljr likes this.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Daimao View Post
do you care about 4K? If you have the internet speeds you can stream more and more 4K content from amazon and netflix and the like.

You can get 48" Samsung JU6500 which has a pretty good response time which you want when watching sports. If you want to go up to the top of your range and can handle 50" you can look at the Samsung JU7100 which has even better response time. The JU7100 has the minibox though, which can add to clutter around the tv. It's basically a little box that has a cord that plugs into the tv and is smart part of the tv and has all the hdmi inputs. The benefit is that it is easily upgradable if new connectors become standard. If you want a cheaper option, then look at the Vizio E50-C1. It won't have as good a picture as the Samsungs though.

Really if sports is your main thing, you might look for a plasma but they can be tough to find nowadays. They have the best refresh rates, but I don't have much experience with them.

I have no clue if I care about 4k.

you tell me, should I?

Internet is fast but I stream movies via Roku wireless. (if that matters)

and 50 inch is probably preferable.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no clue if I care about 4k.

you tell me, should I?
\
It depends on how close your seating position is. Almost all the mid-range and up sets will be 4K anyway. At least this years models.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 212
65"-70"

NON Samsung (my current F8000 doesn't play nice with too many other pieces of gear)

4k resolution

The least "smart" TV as possible. I'd rather pay for a very nice panel and motion processing than pay for the thing being able to hook into tweeter apps and such. I'll never use those features.

Budget: $2k-$3k

Is this possible right now?

B&W CM9 S2, Martin Logan SLM-XL, DefTech XTR-20BP, Dual SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21 and A51, Marantz AV7702 MKii, Samsung UN65JS8500, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
Old 08-10-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
The least "smart" TV as possible. I'd rather pay for a very nice panel and motion processing than pay for the thing being able to hook into tweeter apps and such. I'll never use those features.

Budget: $2k-$3k

Is this possible right now?
Yes, but first I will let you know that you are not paying for smart features really. The pricing isn't really based on that and nearly every TV has them included.

The only mainstream TVs I know of that don't have smart features at all are the JVC TVs which include a Roku stick in the box. That being said, these are not the best TVs around.

Now that we have that out of the way, onto the recommendations
Sony 65X850C - WCG Support, Android TV, subjectively strong motion handling
Vizio M70-C3 - Good value, well under your budget right now
Sony 70X850B - Last years model, limited smart features
Panasonic 65CX850 is only slightly out of your budget and is the best set on this list. The big problem is that you have to buy them direct from Panasonic in the US.
LG 65UF9500 - Motion handling is not the best, good if you need wide viewing angles

That should be a good starting point, if any of those look interesting feel free to post back if you want more details as you narrow it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects