the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7291 of 7361 Old 08-17-2015, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zohar View Post
The triluminous is the only thing making me consider. I'm wondering if it will really make that big of a difference. My goal is to future proof and have better upscaling. Rtings really recommends the Vizio, at BB the Sony looks a lot better as far as colors and sharpness but I'm wondering if they just have the settings better or what. Can't decide.
Hi Mark - I was in the same boat as you. Previous two TVs were Sony and was looking at the 55 or 65xbr850C. The 65" was too expensive for me and the M65-C1 seemed to fit the bill so I picked it up from Costco last week. I do have a slight banding issue on it and considering an exchange but have also read the edge light bleeds on the Sonys.

I read a lot from here and the reviews from CNET and Rtings, etc. After calibration, the Vizio has been pretty good. I'm pleased with most DirecTV content, Discovery, Cooking, Bravo.

No issues with motion lag or SOE. Xbox360 games are awesome to play and watch. I watched pre season NFL (NFL network, major network channels) all weekend and thought the color looked a little less vibrant than I remember from my Sony. Not bad, just a little less vibrant but the commercials looked good on the same channel. Maybe I'm not used to the more accurate color than what I had in the past. Bottom line, I think for the price, the Vizio is a great option.

Here's a picture I took of the TV compared to my Retina display macbookpro...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M65 & MBP Color.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	638.9 KB
ID:	892250  

Last edited by Autocrat; 08-17-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7361 Old 08-17-2015, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zohar View Post
I had read that the P series isn't as good as the M series. I'm Kinda leaning toward the X850C but I saw the x800B on sale at Best buy. Just wondering if the upgrade to the triluminous colors is worth it or not seeing as I'll have to wait another month or two to be able to afford the X850C
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Yes CNET's review says it's a 120 Hz panel while Vizio claims "240Hz effective refresh rate". So $1,198 for a 60" 2014 P602ui-B3 vs. $1,298 for the 60" 2015 M60-C3. Almost seems like a "push".
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I would definitely not spend *more* for an 2015 M over a 2014 P
I'd go with dalto. The P should be better overall with twice the dimming zones.
post #7293 of 7361 Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 327
The recent review of the Visio M kind of opened my eyes a little.
I currently have a 55" Sanyo 1080p LCD that is an excellent straight-forward television and monitor because of its combination of accurate color, gamma, and wonderful horizontal viewing-angles (at the well-made expense of vertical angles which aren't needed).
It has solid native contrast which may be as high as 2,000:1+, but even with the backlight low, at night I find myself wishing for deeper blacks/more contrast.

Now, I don't demand a perfectly 180degree viewing-cone, but the seats are about 8' back and the outside seats are roughly 25-30degrees off-center..so I'm not sure whether or not there are any VA panels that would be a good fit or if I need to specifically keep toward IPS panels.
And on that note, I'm not sure if any IPS panel offers a noticeable upgrade to native on/off (not dynamic on/off) contrast.

Of course I'd also prefer a set that doesn't suffer noticeably inaccurate colors/greys/gamma nor above average lag or forced frame-interpolation..but I'm hoping these aren't common problems to begin with.

In short, can a VA or other high-contrast panel keep a good image out to 25-30degrees horizontal off-center?
If not, are there any high-contrast panels (perhaps IPS) that can?

I'm hoping to stay under $1000 and at 50-55" or more.
Don't need any special features, but am not actively avoiding optional ones.

Help?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #7294 of 7361 Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need to upgrade my 720p TV to a new TV.

Budget: $900
Seating distance: 5 feet
Size: 40-50"
Uses and Sources: TV box (via HDMI) (SD and HD channels)
Room lighting: Standard room lighting. One big window on the side. Maybe some glare from the window in the afternoon.
post #7295 of 7361 Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I am looking to buy an LCD in the 70" + category and I want great contrast. Nice deep blacks.
OLED is out at that size so I am looking at SUHD and FALD technologies but I only have a $6K budget
Any recommendations?
post #7296 of 7361 Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
why do i need upgradability?

dalto et al and the other more learned members of this board explain to me why I would want the upgradable aspect of the Sammy JS8500 for future HDR and WCG? I am still in a quandary about which tv to get. I like the idea of being to upgrade equipment to be somewhat future proof but future proof against what? I get that a 4k tv when given 4k content to display is superior to 1080p yes? Assuming that in the next few years we will have a lot more 4k content to stream, download, display etc. does that mean if I get let's say a Vizio M or P series (current models) or a Sammy Ju7100 or even a Sony XBR850C that these TV's will be less capable of displaying a great picture 4 years from now because they lack HDR and WCG (I think the Sony has WCG but no HDR) and upgradability as compared to the way they display 4k content now versus one another, i.e. while the JS8500 has a superior picture as rated by many, its not an earthshaking difference amongst all these models but say 4 years from now because it is upgradable the differences in picture quality will become way more striking amongst these models assuming other parameters stay the same? I know this question asks for a bit of speculation but I don't think I can fully grasp what all the technology changes actually mean. Thanks
post #7297 of 7361 Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My parents are thinking about getting a new tv for their living room and I could use some suggestions on models to look at.

1. Budget: <$1000
2. Seating distance: about 13 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: The only spot for it in a corner above a gas fireplace. (It will be on a swingarm mount.) I do not have the exact dimensions yet. They currently have a 42" tv there, but it was from when the bezels were larger. I think they may be able to get a 48" tv in there now.
4. Uses and sources: Primarily Directv and my Mom watches a lot of sports, especially football and baseball. They do have an HD DVD player hooked up to it as well, and 1 or 2 extra HDMI ports would probably be a good idea.
5. Room lighting: I would have to say it's a bright room.

I think if they can get a 4k tv that would be a good idea, though I'm not sure if it really matters. My mom is the primary watcher of that tv and where she sits is not at the optimal viewing angle, but I wouldn't consider it an extreme angle either. Glare from ceiling lights could be an issue.

I also should mention that they are probably not nearly as picky about the picture quality as I am. (My Dad still watches dvd's.) I think they would notice if the picture was really bad, though.
post #7298 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
BEST LED/4k for Sports/Motion Blur

New to the AVS Forum--wow some SUPER info!!!

Looking at upgrading up to a 65" 4k for my main living room. Budget $1500-1800. I watch a lot of sports--football, golf, tennis, etc so want a TV with the least amount of motion blur and a great crisp clear picture. Do not watch a ton of movies, do not play games and do not care about 3D. Note: I have DirectTV.

The two TVs I have been looking at/researching are the Vizio M65-C1 and the Samsung JU7100 65. Have had great success with my old 51" Samsung Plasma Smart TV (nothing beats a plasma for sports/fast action movement) and like their SmartHub TV platform.

Can anyone compare or suggest which of the above would be best for watching sports? Or I'm also open to other suggestions in the $1500-$1800 range. Thanks in advance for the assistance--
post #7299 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
In short, can a VA or other high-contrast panel keep a good image out to 25-30degrees horizontal off-center?
If not, are there any high-contrast panels (perhaps IPS) that can?
I do not know of any current TVs with VA panels with a viewing angle of greater than 20 degrees. Most are close to 15 degrees. This is not problem for IPS TVs but as you point out contrast will be lower. Most IPS sets have contrast ratios less than 1000:1. Your best bet would be an IPS TV with local dimming or an OLED. Unfortunately, both of those will be outside your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpanzinator View Post
I need to upgrade my 720p TV to a new TV.

Budget: $900
Seating distance: 5 feet
Size: 40-50"
Room lighting: Standard room lighting. One big window on the side. Maybe some glare from the window in the afternoon.
For 4K/UHD look at the Vizio M-series. For 1080p I like the Sony 50W800C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post
I am looking to buy an LCD in the 70" + category and I want great contrast. Nice deep blacks.
OLED is out at that size so I am looking at SUHD and FALD technologies but I only have a $6K budget
Any recommendations?
Wait for the Sony X940C to go on sale? The only other option is the Vizio M but the local dimming systems on those get less effective as they get larger because the number of zones stays constant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
dalto et al and the other more learned members of this board explain to me why I would want the upgradable aspect of the Sammy JS8500 for future HDR and WCG? I am still in a quandary about which tv to get. I like the idea of being to upgrade equipment to be somewhat future proof but future proof against what? I get that a 4k tv when given 4k content to display is superior to 1080p yes? Assuming that in the next few years we will have a lot more 4k content to stream, download, display etc. does that mean if I get let's say a Vizio M or P series (current models) or a Sammy Ju7100 or even a Sony XBR850C that these TV's will be less capable of displaying a great picture 4 years from now because they lack HDR and WCG (I think the Sony has WCG but no HDR) and upgradability as compared to the way they display 4k content now versus one another, i.e. while the JS8500 has a superior picture as rated by many, its not an earthshaking difference amongst all these models but say 4 years from now because it is upgradable the differences in picture quality will become way more striking amongst these models assuming other parameters stay the same? I know this question asks for a bit of speculation but I don't think I can fully grasp what all the technology changes actually mean. Thanks
There are two things here worthy of discussion.

First the Samsung JS8500 you mention has something called the one connect mini box. What this is a small box that holds most of the ports for the TV. The theory behind the box is that if the industry moves to HDMI 3.0 or displayport or some other interface technology you can simply buy a new interface box from Samsung and continue to have support on your TV. Given that HDMI bandwidth is currently a limiting technology factor it is not unreasonable to believe that there will be some new technology in this space in the next few years.

Next is the fact that the Samsung has support already for some future looking technologies. Namely, WCG/HFR/HDR. This is where things start to get more controversial. The reason is that those things don't make the picture better in and of themselves. They require content which is specifically encoded to support it. Speculatively, I don't think that HFR is going to be huge anytime soon. At least not for film/TV. It requires filming with special cameras and some people don't like the effect it delivers. WCG/HDR on the other hand, I think will become more prevalent in movies. Sooner rather than later. If you stream content or are planning to invest in UHD BD than this stuff will be available soon. Then the question becomes how much will we see them used in TV and games. Honestly, I don't know.

Ultimately, there is no clear answer here. Things you need to ask yourself include
- How long do I keep TVs?
- Am I mostly just watching cable/satellite or do I stream and watch a lot movies?
- How much critical viewing do I do? Do I notice things like overall contrast levels or am I more of a casual viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post
1. Budget: <$1000
2. Seating distance: about 13 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: The only spot for it in a corner above a gas fireplace. (It will be on a swingarm mount.) I do not have the exact dimensions yet. They currently have a 42" tv there, but it was from when the bezels were larger. I think they may be able to get a 48" tv in there now.
4. Uses and sources: Primarily Directv and my Mom watches a lot of sports, especially football and baseball. They do have an HD DVD player hooked up to it as well, and 1 or 2 extra HDMI ports would probably be a good idea.
5. Room lighting: I would have to say it's a bright room.

I think if they can get a 4k tv that would be a good idea, though I'm not sure if it really matters. My mom is the primary watcher of that tv and where she sits is not at the optimal viewing angle, but I wouldn't consider it an extreme angle either. Glare from ceiling lights could be an issue.

I also should mention that they are probably not nearly as picky about the picture quality as I am. (My Dad still watches dvd's.) I think they would notice if the picture was really bad, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcraig1213 View Post
New to the AVS Forum--wow some SUPER info!!!

Looking at upgrading up to a 65" 4k for my main living room. Budget $1500-1800. I watch a lot of sports--football, golf, tennis, etc so want a TV with the least amount of motion blur and a great crisp clear picture. Do not watch a ton of movies, do not play games and do not care about 3D. Note: I have DirectTV.

The two TVs I have been looking at/researching are the Vizio M65-C1 and the Samsung JU7100 65. Have had great success with my old 51" Samsung Plasma Smart TV (nothing beats a plasma for sports/fast action movement) and like their SmartHub TV platform.

Can anyone compare or suggest which of the above would be best for watching sports? Or I'm also open to other suggestions in the $1500-$1800 range. Thanks in advance for the assistance--
The JU7100 is slightly better. It has all full bandwidth HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports, one connect mini for future upgradability and 3D.

That being said, the Vizio M65-C1 is also very good and has a basic FALD system.

However, I am a little confused as the Samsung seems like it is completely outside your budget.
Ftoast likes this.
post #7300 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I do not know of any current TVs with VA panels with a viewing angle of greater than 20 degrees. Most are close to 15 degrees. This is not problem for IPS TVs but as you point out contrast will be lower. Most IPS sets have contrast ratios less than 1000:1. Your best bet would be an IPS TV with local dimming or an OLED. Unfortunately, both of those will be outside your budget.

For 4K/UHD look at the Vizio M-series. For 1080p I like the Sony 50W800C.

Wait for the Sony X940C to go on sale? The only other option is the Vizio M but the local dimming systems on those get less effective as they get larger because the number of zones stays constant.

There are two things here worthy of discussion.

First the Samsung JS8500 you mention has something called the one connect mini box. What this is a small box that holds most of the ports for the TV. The theory behind the box is that if the industry moves to HDMI 3.0 or displayport or some other interface technology you can simply buy a new interface box from Samsung and continue to have support on your TV. Given that HDMI bandwidth is currently a limiting technology factor it is not unreasonable to believe that there will be some new technology in this space in the next few years.

Next is the fact that the Samsung has support already for some future looking technologies. Namely, WCG/HFR/HDR. This is where things start to get more controversial. The reason is that those things don't make the picture better in and of themselves. They require content which is specifically encoded to support it. Speculatively, I don't think that HFR is going to be huge anytime soon. At least not for film/TV. It requires filming with special cameras and some people don't like the effect it delivers. WCG/HDR on the other hand, I think will become more prevalent in movies. Sooner rather than later. If you stream content or are planning to invest in UHD BD than this stuff will be available soon. Then the question becomes how much will we see them used in TV and games. Honestly, I don't know.

Ultimately, there is no clear answer here. Things you need to ask yourself include
- How long do I keep TVs?
- Am I mostly just watching cable/satellite or do I stream and watch a lot movies?
- How much critical viewing do I do? Do I notice things like overall contrast levels or am I more of a casual viewer.

The JU7100 is slightly better. It has all full bandwidth HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports, one connect mini for future upgradability and 3D.

That being said, the Vizio M65-C1 is also very good and has a basic FALD system.

However, I am a little confused as the Samsung seems like it is completely outside your budget.

I found where I can get the JU7100 for right around $1800+ or so. My concern with the M65-C1 is the motion blur and sports. All/most of the information praising the Vizio centers around watching movies and not as much sports--
post #7301 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Any recommendations?
As dalto said, either wait/hope for the 940c to go on sale or get the Vizio model. That or drop your size down to 65". Unfortunately the options above 65" are slim.
post #7302 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM

Liked: 1
Hello all:

Looking for any feedback on this Samsung Model

UN55JU6700FXZA

Or something comparable as a recommendation?

Background

Budget $1500 or less
Seating distance: 6 feet
Watch a lot of sports, movies and network TV
NO Gaming and don't care for 3D

Thanks

post #7303 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 AM

@dalto you quoted me, but didn't say anything specific for my situation. Not sure if you accidentally quoted me or meant to say something.

I thought I would add a couple of things. My parents current tv is 41" wide and it looks like they have a couple of inches to play with. I will be double checking it, but I think that if they went to something that is 44" wide, that would only add 1 1/2" on each side and should be ok. Their current tv is about 30" in height, but I think most tv's I've been looking at, even though a larger screen, are smaller in height.

Some of the models I've been looking at are:
Samsung UN48JU6500
Sony XBR49X830C
VIZIO M50-C1
VIZIO M49-C1

I'm not really sure of the less obvious differences between them and I am certainly open to any other suggestions. Handling potential glare and a good picture with the movement in sports being priorities. I'm sure they would prefer the cost of the Vizio's, but I think if the quality is noticeable better, I think that they would spend a little more for the Samsung or the Sony.
post #7304 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
As dalto said, either wait/hope for the 940c to go on sale or get the Vizio model. That or drop your size down to 65". Unfortunately the options above 65" are slim.
Yep. Seems that way.
I really wanted 3D capability and that removes Vizio from the picture it seems.
Is the Sony likely to go on sale between now and Black Friday?
I really like the Samsung 78 JS series but they seem to be at 10 grand and no discounts anywhere. I could try out one of the bait and switch guys but might wind up getting bitten.
post #7305 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcraig1213 View Post
I found where I can get the JU7100 for right around $1800+ or so. My concern with the M65-C1 is the motion blur and sports. All/most of the information praising the Vizio centers around watching movies and not as much sports--
My advice would be to put a short clip of one of your favorite sports on a thumb drive and ask the guys at the store to play it on the TV and see what you think. Motion handling is very subjective so it is always better to check it out for yourself. As for the JU7100, is that price from someone you know or a local store? If it is just a price you found online it is probably one of the bait and switch operators and you can't really get the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goterps74 View Post
UN55JU6700FXZA

Or something comparable as a recommendation?

Background

Budget $1500 or less
Seating distance: 6 feet
Watch a lot of sports, movies and network TV
NO Gaming and don't care for 3D
You should verify but I believe that is a 60Hz panel model without a 24p mode. This means movies will be played with 3:2 pulldown. This bothers some people. If you can stretch your budget a little or wait for a sale I would get the 55JU7100 instead.

Quote:
@dalto you quoted me, but didn't say anything specific for my situation. Not sure if you accidentally quoted me or meant to say something.

I thought I would add a couple of things. My parents current tv is 41" wide and it looks like they have a couple of inches to play with. I will be double checking it, but I think that if they went to something that is 44" wide, that would only add 1 1/2" on each side and should be ok. Their current tv is about 30" in height, but I think most tv's I've been looking at, even though a larger screen, are smaller in height.

Some of the models I've been looking at are:
Samsung UN48JU6500
Sony XBR49X830C
VIZIO M50-C1
VIZIO M49-C1

I'm not really sure of the less obvious differences between them and I am certainly open to any other suggestions. Handling potential glare and a good picture with the movement in sports being priorities. I'm sure they would prefer the cost of the Vizio's, but I think if the quality is noticeable better, I think that they would spend a little more for the Samsung or the Sony.
Oops, sorry about that.

I see no reason to get the JU6500 over the Vizio M. It is comparable, it just costs more.

Between the Vizios I believe the 49 is an IPS panel and the 50 is a VA panel. That means that the 49 will have lower contrast but better viewing angles. I don't claim to be an expert on Vizio panels though so it might be worth double-checking if that is the route you decide to go.

The Sony has great motion handling but low contrast. I have read that it is more reflective than average but I have not seen that behavior myself.

How often do they watch TV in a dim/dark room? If they don't watch in the dark very often than the lower contrast of the two IPS TVs on that list probably won't bother them as much.

Quote:
Yep. Seems that way.
I really wanted 3D capability and that removes Vizio from the picture it seems.
Is the Sony likely to go on sale between now and Black Friday?
I really like the Samsung 78 JS series but they seem to be at 10 grand and no discounts anywhere. I could try out one of the bait and switch guys but might wind up getting bitten.
More likely you will wind up getting nothing but a series of frustrating phone calls.

The Sony can be had ~7,000 right now. No easy way to predict when it might go on-sale. About the best I can recommend is go to camelcamelcamel and check out the pricing trend for last years 79X900B.
Vorkosigan likes this.
post #7306 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Oops, sorry about that.

I see no reason to get the JU6500 over the Vizio M. It is comparable, it just costs more.

Between the Vizios I believe the 49 is an IPS panel and the 50 is a VA panel. That means that the 49 will have lower contrast but better viewing angles. I don't claim to be an expert on Vizio panels though so it might be worth double-checking if that is the route you decide to go.

The Sony has great motion handling but low contrast. I have read that it is more reflective than average but I have not seen that behavior myself.

How often do they watch TV in a dim/dark room? If they don't watch in the dark very often than the lower contrast of the two IPS TVs on that list probably won't bother them as much.
They never watch tv in a dark room. I am assuming the Sony is one of the IPS tv's on my list?

They went looking at tv's today and without any input from me, they came across the Sony and really liked it so I am thinking that is probably the one that they will go with.

Thank you dalto
post #7307 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They never watch tv in a dark room. I am assuming the Sony is one of the IPS tv's on my list?

They went looking at tv's today and without any input from me, they came across the Sony and really liked it so I am thinking that is probably the one that they will go with.

Thank you dalto
Yes, the X830C uses an IPS panel.
post #7308 of 7361 Old 08-19-2015, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice.
post #7309 of 7361 Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba5 View Post
Moving and deciding to move on from my Sony 34 inch XBR Tube!
1. Budget $1500 - $2000
2. Seating Distance - 8 ft, mostly direct viewing
3. Viewing - Sports (Football, Hockey, Baseball), Movies, TV Shows
4. Feed - Currently AT&T U-Verse, probably going Directv
5. Room will have light coming from door wall directly behind the seating on opposite wall as TV

Thanks in advance!!
So my budget is a little tighter now ($1500 max), and I am just curious if I am better off buying something cheaper like a Samsung UN60J6200 which I can get for about $800 (and I read it has really good sports viewing), and then next year be able to purchase something better and donate this to my Mom's finished basement (where she is going to need a new TV and is the furthest thing from picky). Or after all this research am I going to just be disappointed in the HDTV with no 4K for the next year? I know this is more a personal issue with no real answer, but opinions are valued!

Peter L.
post #7310 of 7361 Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
After a bit of digging I found out the Visio E-series has a half-CR angle around 21-22degrees where CR drops to 2100:1-2300:1 which I should be able to squeeze the seats into by moving a small table, and it'll still be one of the better contrasts at that angle.
Everything else about the set looks great except I'll have to see if the uniformity looks good enough at the larger sizes.
The pricing will also allow a 65" under $1000 or a refurbished 70" for about the same.

Thanks for the advice and confirmation about panels.
With the half-angle of the VA's still offering twice the contrast of the IPS-peak, it appears color-changing(if it happens faster/worse than contrast loss) will be the only concern.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 08-20-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #7311 of 7361 Old 08-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Hi everyone. I've been shopping around for a 65"-70" TV recently and have narrowed it down between Panasonic 65CX850 or the Vizio M70-C3. The Panasonic is about $300CAD (approx. $230USD) more than the Vizio. Both looked like decent sets but unfortunately I could not compare the 2 TVs since there wasn't a store that had both on display at the same time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Additional info:
-location will be living room (bright if blinds are open)
-will be sitting 11-13ft away.
-displaying cable, movies, and a bit of gaming
-majority of viewing will be directly in front of TV
post #7312 of 7361 Old 08-20-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My Samsung Plasma is about to make a trip to the big recycle bin in the sky.
I am presently at 51" and would like to move up with the next purchase.
I'd say 90% of what we watch is streamed online, and that is split 50/50 between netflix and vudu.
My wife works overnights several times a week so most of that time is spent playing video games.
We use a ps3, soon to be 4 for all of these.

I have an extended warranty through Best Buy so any suggestions would need to be available through them

I need is some opinions.

In the Sub $1,500 price point am I better off buying something like the 60" VIZIO M series or Sharp UE?
Would a 70" Sharp LE series in 1080P be the better option.

Or am I better off holding on to my in store credit till november?

I know 4K content is still limited but from what I have seen so far I really like the uprez with 1080 content on a 4k screen.

I have enough of an understanding of dynamic range and contrast and gama , the processors they use and what not making some of the early sets not worth the extra expense.

however I can not find any of this info online. I had one sales person tell me that the $2,500 samsung has the most powerful processor but that was all he could give me.

seating distance is 8 ft. No size limitations for where the set will be placed, lighting is fairly well controlled except for when its really nice out a window behind and to the side of the tv will be used.

Any input is appreciated.
post #7313 of 7361 Old 08-20-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
After a bit of digging I found out the Visio E-series has a half-CR angle around 21-22degrees where CR drops to 2100:1-2300:1 which I should be able to squeeze the seats into by moving a small table, and it'll still be one of the better contrasts at that angle.
Just make sure the specs you got were for the exact model you were buying. Vizio uses lots of completely different panels in the E-series, sometimes even within the same size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpocket View Post
Hi everyone. I've been shopping around for a 65"-70" TV recently and have narrowed it down between Panasonic 65CX850 or the Vizio M70-C3. The Panasonic is about $300CAD (approx. $230USD) more than the Vizio. Both looked like decent sets but unfortunately I could not compare the 2 TVs since there wasn't a store that had both on display at the same time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Additional info:
-location will be living room (bright if blinds are open)
-will be sitting 11-13ft away.
-displaying cable, movies, and a bit of gaming
-majority of viewing will be directly in front of TV
The 65CX850 is definitely a better TV but the Vizio is 5" larger. I would get the Pansonic in canada. The Vizio value proposition isn't as high there, the price difference between those two sets in the US is $1,500 USD.
post #7314 of 7361 Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
The 65CX850 is definitely a better TV but the Vizio is 5" larger. I would get the Pansonic in canada. The Vizio value proposition isn't as high there, the price difference between those two sets in the US is $1,500 USD.
Thanks Dalto.
post #7315 of 7361 Old 08-21-2015, 11:52 PM

Hi i'm looking to upgrade my 46" Sony HX929 to 65"

I've read some comment saying that the last best Sony tv have ever produced was in 2012. I'm do not require 4K tv as the tv source is in 1080p

1. Budget - 2,000
2. Seating distance - 10 Feet
3. Size/placement limitations - None
4. Uses and sources - Mainly FIFA16 and football
5. Room lighting - Bright in day, dark at night

Any recommendations?
post #7316 of 7361 Old 08-22-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlee View Post
Hi i'm looking to upgrade my 46" Sony HX929 to 65"

I've read some comment saying that the last best Sony tv have ever produced was in 2012. I'm do not require 4K tv as the tv source is in 1080p

1. Budget - 2,000
2. Seating distance - 10 Feet
3. Size/placement limitations - None
4. Uses and sources - Mainly FIFA16 and football
5. Room lighting - Bright in day, dark at night

Any recommendations?
For that size/price I would usually recommend looking at the Vizio M-series(4K) or the Sony 65W850C(1080p)
post #7317 of 7361 Old 08-23-2015, 11:22 AM

Help needed comparing the following 55" versions: The Panasonic TC-55CX850U and the Sony XBR55X850C.

Budget: up to $2500
Seating: 9-10 ft
Size/placement limitations: none
User and sources: mainly sports
Room lighting: well-lit during day and dark at night

The Panasonic is about $800 more, so I am assuming that it is a 'better' TV, but is the price difference really worth it? It looks like the Panasonic supports HDR and has the Firefox OS (not sure that is good or bad). I am not technical enough to discern any other major differences, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #7318 of 7361 Old 08-23-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonjoe View Post
Help needed comparing the following 55" versions: The Panasonic TC-55CX850U and the Sony XBR55X850C.

Budget: up to $2500
Seating: 9-10 ft
Size/placement limitations: none
User and sources: mainly sports
Room lighting: well-lit during day and dark at night

The Panasonic is about $800 more, so I am assuming that it is a 'better' TV, but is the price difference really worth it? It looks like the Panasonic supports HDR and has the Firefox OS (not sure that is good or bad). I am not technical enough to discern any other major differences, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am a little skeptical of the 55CX850. The reviews in the 55" size have been pretty mixed. Unfortunately, they are mostly not carried in stores in the US so I have not been able to see it myself. Because of that I would lean towards the Sony 55X850C.

If you want HDR support you could look at the Samsung 55JS8500.
post #7319 of 7361 Old 08-23-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
For that size/price I would usually recommend looking at the Vizio M-series(4K) or the Sony 65W850C(1080p)
thanks dalto, which 1080p is the best right now in the market in your opinion?
post #7320 of 7361 Old 08-23-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlee View Post
thanks dalto, which 1080p is the best right now in the market in your opinion?
I like the Sony W850C, although, to be honest, all the 1080p sets still being made are entry-level or close to it. The movement to 4K/UHD has pretty much happened at this point.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread