the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7351 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhloco View Post
Budget $3200

Size 65+
Uses: Cable, sports, movies, Games - living room.

After researching more, it seems that the JU7100 and JU8500 keep popping up? Is it worth the price difference for the JU8500 over the JU7100? Or a different brand/model i'm missing?
JS8500/JS9000(the latter is curved) are probably the best options. Compared to the JU7100 you are getting more peak brightness, useful local dimming, HDR support and WCG support. The JS9000 also has a full one-connect. As to whether those things are worth the money is harder to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Even though the J6300 is a1080p set and the JU7100 is 4k? If this 4k set will display compressed 1080i cable content as well as the 1080p set, iow, if its upscaling engine is up to the task, then for me it's a no brainer. But i have realty no way of knowing unless someone has actually compared them both with cable content.
This is a hotly debated topic here but my opinion is that most of this years 4K TVs have good scalars in them. 1080i content should look the same or better on a JU7100 as compared to a J6300. My experience is that a clean 1080i signal will look better on a 4K TV and a poor/over compressed 1080i signal will look about the same.

I also think that Sony has the best scalars this year if your goal is to absolutely have the best scalar. That being said, I like Samsung's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPab View Post
Hello everyone. Need a bit of advice from you guys. I have narrowed my choices to 2 TVs.

Prospect TVs:
1. Vizio 60 inch M Series or
2. 55 inch Samsung JS9000

Requirements:
Budget: Under $3000
Size: 55-60 inches. Leaning towards a 55 inch due to viewing distance from tv.
Viewing distance from TV: 8-10 feet.
Uses: Mostly Gaming, Blu-ray, Sports, streaming HD content from Netflix/Amazon/Apple TV.
Not used for: I hardly watch cable or standard definition content.
Concerns: I'd like to be semi future proof. although, I do understand there will always be something better in the future.
The JS9000 is more future proof and a better TV in general. Of course, it is also significantly more expensive. It has better apps, higher peak brightness, HDR support, WCG support, future proofing with the one connect box, more HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, fantastic info I think I've got it close. I just need a little fine tuning advice

Prospect TVs:
1. Sony XBR55850C
2. Samsung 55JU7100
3. Samsung 60J6300 (1080P)

Requirements:
Budget: $1500ish
Size: 55-60 inches.
Viewing distance from TV: 10 feet from normal/optimal seating. Side wing of L-shaped sectional is as close at 5ft, that's not normally used.
Uses: Mostly general TV, movies (cable or BluRay), gaming (PS4)
Concerns: Many calculators, rules of thumb I've found put the proper size at 65-70" but that seems pretty huge and my wife veto'ed anything over 60". Right now we have a 40" (lol). In the 55-60" size range, I'm not sure I need 4k. I'm willing to go 1080P if its of majority opinion that I can't see a different. This isn't a forever TV. I want the best PQ I can get. I'm coming from a Sony 40Z5100 which I'm happy with PQwise. I also don't want crazy saturated colors. I'd things calibrated and life-like. I applied some common calibration settings to my Z5100 and love how it looks.

Thanks a lot, all!
post #7353 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Hi all, fantastic info I think I've got it close. I just need a little fine tuning advice

Prospect TVs:
1. Sony XBR55850C
2. Samsung 55JU7100

Requirements:
Viewing distance from TV: 10 feet from normal/optimal seating. Side wing of L-shaped sectional is as close at 5ft, that's not normally used.
Concerns: Many calculators, rules of thumb I've found put the proper size at 65-70" but that seems pretty huge and my wife veto'ed anything over 60". Right now we have a 40" (lol). In the 55-60" size range, I'm not sure I need 4k. I'm willing to go 1080P if its of majority opinion that I can't see a different. This isn't a forever TV. I want the best PQ I can get. I'm coming from a Sony 40Z5100 which I'm happy with PQwise. I also don't want crazy saturated colors. I'd things calibrated and life-like. I applied some common calibration settings to my Z5100 and love how it looks.
The Sony X850C will be able to get to fairly accurate colors with minimal tweaking if that is your priority.

Given your requirements and budget, I would get the Sony 55X850C, the Samsung 55JU7100 or the Vizio M60-C3. Based on your satisfaction with your previous Sony I would lean towards the Sony but not strongly.
post #7354 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
The Sony X850C will be able to get to fairly accurate colors with minimal tweaking if that is your priority.

Given your requirements and budget, I would get the Sony 55X850C, the Samsung 55JU7100 or the Vizio M60-C3. Based on your satisfaction with your previous Sony I would lean towards the Sony but not strongly.
Thanks! The Vizio is compelling being 60" for $1300.

Another concern that I forgot to mention is the soap opera effect with frame interpolation modes. I think the Sony's is great, but I've seen other TVs that look terrible. Granted, I'm not sure how those were setup and may be on a more extreme setting. Does Sony still do a good job with this compared to the other's? How is Samsung and Vizio's?
post #7355 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another concern that I forgot to mention is the soap opera effect with frame interpolation modes. I think the Sony's is great, but I've seen other TVs that look terrible. Granted, I'm not sure how those were setup and may be on a more extreme setting. Does Sony still do a good job with this compared to the other's? How is Samsung and Vizio's?
This years Sony "C" models have excellent and flexible motion controls In addition to the preset motion modes they have had for a while they also have a custom mode which allows you to vary the amount of motion interpolation and the amount of backlight modulation or combine the two how you like.
post #7356 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 AM

Great, thanks for your help. You're a great resource to this community!
post #7357 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought my M60-C3 and noticed a horizontal line on occasion.
I went back to best buy and they told me to exchange it. Do you guys recommend keeping M60-C3 or going with XBR55X850C?

Thanks
post #7358 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Cheap 42-50" TV for elderly father

My father is having to move into a memory care center, but he does still like to watch sports on TV. Not sure how big the room is and how far he will be from the screen. The priorities will be:

1. Ease of learning and using the remote

2. Dynamic, colorful image(to try and hold his attention)

I did find this one and thought it might be a good option--

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-42-cl...&skuId=3716037

Any other suggestions much appreciated!

post #7359 of 7373 Old 08-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Hey guys, thabks for the great info here. I recently moved and would like some input on a tv purchase.

Budget: ~1500 (flexible)
Viewing distance: approx. 8ft (~95in)
Uses: sports, gaming (ps4), movies

I am open to sizes. Because of the distance, I know I can go larger. I was thinking 50-65in, which is a wide range. I am willing to go smaller (ex 55 instead of 65) if the picture is better (i.e. because the 65 may be out of my range).

I am most concerned with picture quality. I want to maximize picture quality over everything else. I have a box to view netflix, hbo go, pandora, etc, so I don't necessarily need to focus on those features.

I have been going back and forth between the Vizio M series and the Samsung HU8550, but am here to get your input. I've thought about going for a less expensive tv for now and waiting for black Friday/Cyber Monday, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
post #7360 of 7373 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

I've also found that I may be able to squeeze in models such as the JS9000, JS8500, JU7500, and JU7100.
post #7361 of 7373 Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Hi,

I currently have a samsung UE-32F5020AK
And I am thinking about buying a new TV.
I have read a lot of info on this forum
And I understand that now is not a good time to buy a new TV, especially since I want the best image, but 40-48 inches and also very good for games
But I am thinking maybe I should buy another TV better than mine and still 1080p and wait another year to buy a so good 4k TV like Js9500
Any advice?

Thanks
post #7362 of 7373 Old Today, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dalto et al. maybe this is not the right thread to ask and if so point me in the right direction. so the Sammy JS9500 has the ONE Connect versus the Sammy JS8500 which has a One connect mini correct? what is the difference? Is this the same as the Evolution box (SEK3500) on the Samsung website? Does this mean at some point in the future, if I want to upgrade my TV to Whatever (full HDR, WCG etc) I would need to buy a new box at $400 a pop? the upgrades are in the box not the physical tv itself? then I saw a thread about HDMI 2.0a being required to stream metadata for full HDR content? now I am totally confused. Help PLease. Thanks
post #7363 of 7373 Old Today, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSebolski View Post
I went back to best buy and they told me to exchange it. Do you guys recommend keeping M60-C3 or going with XBR55X850C?
Depends on your priorities and viewing preferences. If you like the M60 other than the line I would replace it with another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
My father is having to move into a memory care center, but he does still like to watch sports on TV. Not sure how big the room is and how far he will be from the screen. The priorities will be:

1. Ease of learning and using the remote

2. Dynamic, colorful image(to try and hold his attention)

I did find this one and thought it might be a good option--

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-42-cl...&skuId=3716037

Any other suggestions much appreciated!
I think you will find most modern TVs can be setup to be colorful and vibrant. For that environment I would try to find something with an IPS panel if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
Budget: ~1500 (flexible)
Viewing distance: approx. 8ft (~95in)
Uses: sports, gaming (ps4), movies

I am open to sizes. Because of the distance, I know I can go larger. I was thinking 50-65in, which is a wide range. I am willing to go smaller (ex 55 instead of 65) if the picture is better (i.e. because the 65 may be out of my range).

I am most concerned with picture quality. I want to maximize picture quality over everything else. I have a box to view netflix, hbo go, pandora, etc, so I don't necessarily need to focus on those features.

I have been going back and forth between the Vizio M series and the Samsung HU8550, but am here to get your input. I've thought about going for a less expensive tv for now and waiting for black Friday/Cyber Monday, so I'm open to suggestions.

I've also found that I may be able to squeeze in models such as the JS9000, JS8500, JU7500, and JU7100.
Vizio M is a good value 4K TV. Recommend getting the M60 or larger as that is were you start getting a 120Hz panel.

The JU7100/JU7500 are mostly the same. The JU7500 is curved. These come with a one-connect mini for some degree of upgradablility, They are good all around performance TVs with nothing really holding them back or making them standout.

The JS8500/JS900 are also mostly the same except the JS9000 is curved and has a full one-connect, the JS8500 has a one-connect mini. See below for the differences. These are definitely the best sets on your list. HDR support, WCG support, more peak brightness, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement Afficial View Post
Hi,

I currently have a samsung UE-32F5020AK
And I am thinking about buying a new TV.
I have read a lot of info on this forum
And I understand that now is not a good time to buy a new TV, especially since I want the best image, but 40-48 inches and also very good for games
But I am thinking maybe I should buy another TV better than mine and still 1080p and wait another year to buy a so good 4k TV like Js9500
Any advice?
I don't think it makes much sense to buy a 1080p now with plans to replace it with a 4K once they become cheaper. The only 1080p TVs still being made are entry-level sets and you would be buying two TVs instead of one.

I also don't know pricing is likely to work in your region. Prices tend to drop faster in the US than in some other regions so it is possible that your region may not see the same price pressures in the future as mine will.

My advice would be to either keep your current TV and hold-off buying until you are comfortable or buy a 4K/UHD TV now.

What does the Panasonic 50CX800/50CX802 cost in your region? That may be a good compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
Dalto et al. maybe this is not the right thread to ask and if so point me in the right direction. so the Sammy JS9500 has the ONE Connect versus the Sammy JS8500 which has a One connect mini correct? what is the difference? Is this the same as the Evolution box (SEK3500) on the Samsung website? Does this mean at some point in the future, if I want to upgrade my TV to Whatever (full HDR, WCG etc) I would need to buy a new box at $400 a pop? the upgrades are in the box not the physical tv itself? then I saw a thread about HDMI 2.0a being required to stream metadata for full HDR content? now I am totally confused. Help PLease. Thanks
HDMI 2.0a is required to play HDR content over HDMI from external devices such as UHD BD. As far as I know, all of Samsung's 2015 UHD HDR capable line-up will be getting software upgrades to 2.0a. Of course, future plans are always subject to change but I think that is a fairly good likelihood.

Samsung sets with the one-connect or one-connect mini can still get software updates like any other TV will. The difference is that with the one-connect box you can also upgrade the hardware by replacing the box.

The difference between the full one connect box and the mini is that the full one connect includes the physical ports and the CPU/GPU board. The one-connect mini contains only the ports. So, if displayport becomes the norm or if HDMI 3.0 comes out next year in theory you can buy a new box and get those upgrades with either the full or the mini. However, if Samsung comes out with a new TV OS that needs more processing power or adds other features requiring special processing than the replacing the full once connect box is needed to leverage it. This actually happened this year with the release of Samsung's Tizen. People who bought last year's one-connect capable sets were able to buy the evolution kit and upgrade.

Last edited by dalto; Today at 08:02 AM.
post #7364 of 7373 Old Today, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Prospect TVs:
1. Sony XBR55850C
2. Samsung 55JU7100

Requirements:

Thanks a lot, all!
At your 10" viewing distance, you would not see any difference between a 60" 1080p and a 60" 4k set. But, if someone sits close to that 5' range, you will see the pixels. If someone will regularly be sitting at 8' or closer, I would get the 4k set. I agree with the recommendation of the Vizio M60 as the best TV you can buy at anywhere near the price. I have two Vizio LCDs. The first one I bought 6-7 years ago and have had no problems. I recently bought a new 70" and did not have any hesitation buying another Vizio.
post #7365 of 7373 Old Today, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
The problem I have with the one connect idea is having to spend $400 to upgrade an expensive, now outdated, TV. The box only upgrades the electronics, but if there have been display advances, you have no control over that. I would buy a TV that had all the features I wanted at close to half the price and have that money to go toward a new TV if new display technology emerges.
post #7366 of 7373 Old Today, 08:39 AM

Quote:

I don't think it makes much sense to buy a 1080p now with plans to replace it with a 4K once they become cheaper. The only 1080p TVs still being made are entry-level sets and you would be buying two TVs instead of one.

I also don't know pricing is likely to work in your region. Prices tend to drop faster in the US than in some other regions so it is possible that your region may not see the same price pressures in the future as mine will.

My advice would be to either keep your current TV and hold-off buying until you are comfortable or buy a 4K/UHD TV now.

What does the Panasonic 50CX800/50CX802 cost in your region? That may be a good compromise.
Thanks for the info.
The 800 Panasonic over here is almost the same price as samsung ju7100 which is $1,500...but Samsung is 48 and Panasonic is 40 inches
post #7367 of 7373 Old Today, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
The problem I have with the one connect idea is having to spend $400 to upgrade an expensive, now outdated, TV. The box only upgrades the electronics, but if there have been display advances, you have no control over that. I would buy a TV that had all the features I wanted at close to half the price and have that money to go toward a new TV if new display technology emerges.
For me, it depends on which TV you are talking about. Spending $350-$400 to upgrade the 78JS9500 seems like a great value. Doing the same thing with 48JS9000 makes much less sense.
post #7368 of 7373 Old Today, 08:58 AM

so what is better Panasonic 50CX800 or samsung ju7100
post #7369 of 7373 Old Today, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement Afficial View Post
so what is better Panasonic 50CX800 or samsung ju7100
All else being equal the Panasonic is the better set in most cases. It seems like the 50" version and the 65" version have been getting good reviews.
post #7370 of 7373 Old Today, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
At your 10" viewing distance, you would not see any difference between a 60" 1080p and a 60" 4k set. But, if someone sits close to that 5' range, you will see the pixels. If someone will regularly be sitting at 8' or closer, I would get the 4k set. I agree with the recommendation of the Vizio M60 as the best TV you can buy at anywhere near the price. I have two Vizio LCDs. The first one I bought 6-7 years ago and have had no problems. I recently bought a new 70" and did not have any hesitation buying another Vizio.
So 4k for 8ft more or less? That will be my viewing distance as well.

Quote:

Vizio M is a good value 4K TV. Recommend getting the M60 or larger as that is were you start getting a 120Hz panel.

The JU7100/JU7500 are mostly the same. The JU7500 is curved. These come with a one-connect mini for some degree of upgradablility, They are good all around performance TVs with nothing really holding them back or making them standout.

The JS8500/JS900 are also mostly the same except the JS9000 is curved and has a full one-connect, the JS8500 has a one-connect mini. See below for the differences. These are definitely the best sets on your list. HDR support, WCG support, more peak brightness, etc.
I can definitely find the Vizio M at a good price. I have found a 65 JU7500 for low-mid 2K, and 55" 8500/9000 that fit my budget. I think, at 8ft viewing, I should get a 60"+ screen, right? So that would likely put the 8500/9000 out of my budget for now. Is there a big difference in PQ between the M and 7100/7500? Should I opt for the M, the 7100/7500, or is there a set I haven't thought of that may be better suited?
post #7371 of 7373 Old Today, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I can definitely find the Vizio M at a good price. I have found a 65 JU7500 for low-mid 2K, and 55" 8500/9000 that fit my budget. I think, at 8ft viewing, I should get a 60"+ screen, right? So that would likely put the 8500/9000 out of my budget for now. Is there a big difference in PQ between the M and 7100/7500? Should I opt for the M, the 7100/7500, or is there a set I haven't thought of that may be better suited?
You really need to go in a store and see if the PQ looks different to you. Samsung runs a great demo loop that makes their TVs look fantastic especially compared to some of the feeds to other sets. A couple days ago I was in Costco and they had a Vizio demo loop on the Vizios instead of the feed they normally have on them. Sure made those sets look a lot better. Be careful of those apples to oranges comparisons. Compare the same feeds if possible.
post #7372 of 7373 Old Today, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok thanks so much dalto and golfster
post #7373 of 7373 Old Today, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So 4k for 8ft more or less? That will be my viewing distance as well.
There is no absolute right answer here. You should see for yourself. That being said, it is mostly a non-issue since only entry-level 1080p sets are being made at this point.

Quote:
The objective advantages of the JU7100 over the M are:
- In home warranty
- One connect mini
- More HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports
- Better/more built-in apps

Subjectively, some people argue that the Samsung has better upscaling and motion handling. It is debatable and again I would advise you to see for yourself.

Are those things worth the significant price difference? Everybody feels differently on that one.

Just one more thing. Excluding the odd special sale, Samsung TVs pretty much list at the same price everywhere. The best way to get a discount is to speak with a retailer and get them to verbally discount the TV. Several of the larger authorized internet dealers will discount TVs as will smaller local brick and mortar stores. Most of the cheap prices you see listed online are bait and switch operations.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread