the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7351 of 7359 Old Today, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhloco View Post
Budget $3200

Size 65+
Uses: Cable, sports, movies, Games - living room.

After researching more, it seems that the JU7100 and JU8500 keep popping up? Is it worth the price difference for the JU8500 over the JU7100? Or a different brand/model i'm missing?
JS8500/JS9000(the latter is curved) are probably the best options. Compared to the JU7100 you are getting more peak brightness, useful local dimming, HDR support and WCG support. The JS9000 also has a full one-connect. As to whether those things are worth the money is harder to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Even though the J6300 is a1080p set and the JU7100 is 4k? If this 4k set will display compressed 1080i cable content as well as the 1080p set, iow, if its upscaling engine is up to the task, then for me it's a no brainer. But i have realty no way of knowing unless someone has actually compared them both with cable content.
This is a hotly debated topic here but my opinion is that most of this years 4K TVs have good scalars in them. 1080i content should look the same or better on a JU7100 as compared to a J6300. My experience is that a clean 1080i signal will look better on a 4K TV and a poor/over compressed 1080i signal will look about the same.

I also think that Sony has the best scalars this year if your goal is to absolutely have the best scalar. That being said, I like Samsung's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPab View Post
Hello everyone. Need a bit of advice from you guys. I have narrowed my choices to 2 TVs.

Prospect TVs:
1. Vizio 60 inch M Series or
2. 55 inch Samsung JS9000

Requirements:
Budget: Under $3000
Size: 55-60 inches. Leaning towards a 55 inch due to viewing distance from tv.
Viewing distance from TV: 8-10 feet.
Uses: Mostly Gaming, Blu-ray, Sports, streaming HD content from Netflix/Amazon/Apple TV.
Not used for: I hardly watch cable or standard definition content.
Concerns: I'd like to be semi future proof. although, I do understand there will always be something better in the future.
The JS9000 is more future proof and a better TV in general. Of course, it is also significantly more expensive. It has better apps, higher peak brightness, HDR support, WCG support, future proofing with the one connect box, more HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7359 Old Today, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, fantastic info I think I've got it close. I just need a little fine tuning advice

Prospect TVs:
1. Sony XBR55850C
2. Samsung 55JU7100
3. Samsung 60J6300 (1080P)

Requirements:
Budget: $1500ish
Size: 55-60 inches.
Viewing distance from TV: 10 feet from normal/optimal seating. Side wing of L-shaped sectional is as close at 5ft, that's not normally used.
Uses: Mostly general TV, movies (cable or BluRay), gaming (PS4)
Concerns: Many calculators, rules of thumb I've found put the proper size at 65-70" but that seems pretty huge and my wife veto'ed anything over 60". Right now we have a 40" (lol). In the 55-60" size range, I'm not sure I need 4k. I'm willing to go 1080P if its of majority opinion that I can't see a different. This isn't a forever TV. I want the best PQ I can get. I'm coming from a Sony 40Z5100 which I'm happy with PQwise. I also don't want crazy saturated colors. I'd things calibrated and life-like. I applied some common calibration settings to my Z5100 and love how it looks.

Thanks a lot, all!
post #7353 of 7359 Old Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Hi all, fantastic info I think I've got it close. I just need a little fine tuning advice

Prospect TVs:
1. Sony XBR55850C
2. Samsung 55JU7100
3. Samsung 60J6300 (1080P)

Requirements:
Budget: $1500ish
Size: 55-60 inches.
Viewing distance from TV: 10 feet from normal/optimal seating. Side wing of L-shaped sectional is as close at 5ft, that's not normally used.
Uses: Mostly general TV, movies (cable or BluRay), gaming (PS4)
Concerns: Many calculators, rules of thumb I've found put the proper size at 65-70" but that seems pretty huge and my wife veto'ed anything over 60". Right now we have a 40" (lol). In the 55-60" size range, I'm not sure I need 4k. I'm willing to go 1080P if its of majority opinion that I can't see a different. This isn't a forever TV. I want the best PQ I can get. I'm coming from a Sony 40Z5100 which I'm happy with PQwise. I also don't want crazy saturated colors. I'd things calibrated and life-like. I applied some common calibration settings to my Z5100 and love how it looks.
The Sony X850C will be able to get to fairly accurate colors with minimal tweaking if that is your priority.

Given your requirements and budget, I would get the Sony 55X850C, the Samsung 55JU7100 or the Vizio M60-C3. Based on your satisfaction with your previous Sony I would lean towards the Sony but not strongly.
post #7354 of 7359 Old Today, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
The Sony X850C will be able to get to fairly accurate colors with minimal tweaking if that is your priority.

Given your requirements and budget, I would get the Sony 55X850C, the Samsung 55JU7100 or the Vizio M60-C3. Based on your satisfaction with your previous Sony I would lean towards the Sony but not strongly.
Thanks! The Vizio is compelling being 60" for $1300.

Another concern that I forgot to mention is the soap opera effect with frame interpolation modes. I think the Sony's is great, but I've seen other TVs that look terrible. Granted, I'm not sure how those were setup and may be on a more extreme setting. Does Sony still do a good job with this compared to the other's? How is Samsung and Vizio's?
post #7355 of 7359 Old Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Another concern that I forgot to mention is the soap opera effect with frame interpolation modes. I think the Sony's is great, but I've seen other TVs that look terrible. Granted, I'm not sure how those were setup and may be on a more extreme setting. Does Sony still do a good job with this compared to the other's? How is Samsung and Vizio's?
This years Sony "C" models have excellent and flexible motion controls In addition to the preset motion modes they have had for a while they also have a custom mode which allows you to vary the amount of motion interpolation and the amount of backlight modulation or combine the two how you like.
post #7356 of 7359 Old Today, 09:45 AM

Great, thanks for your help. You're a great resource to this community!
post #7357 of 7359 Old Today, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought my M60-C3 and noticed a horizontal line on occasion.
I went back to best buy and they told me to exchange it. Do you guys recommend keeping M60-C3 or going with XBR55X850C?

Thanks
post #7358 of 7359 Old Today, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Cheap 42-50" TV for elderly father

My father is having to move into a memory care center, but he does still like to watch sports on TV. Not sure how big the room is and how far he will be from the screen. The priorities will be:

1. Ease of learning and using the remote

2. Dynamic, colorful image(to try and hold his attention)

I did find this one and thought it might be a good option--

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-42-cl...&skuId=3716037

Any other suggestions much appreciated!

post #7359 of 7359 Old Today, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, thabks for the great info here. I recently moved and would like some input on a tv purchase.

Budget: ~1500 (flexible)
Viewing distance: approx. 8ft (~95in)
Uses: sports, gaming (ps4), movies

I am open to sizes. Because of the distance, I know I can go larger. I was thinking 50-65in, which is a wide range. I am willing to go smaller (ex 55 instead of 65) if the picture is better (i.e. because the 65 may be out of my range).

I am most concerned with picture quality. I want to maximize picture quality over everything else. I have a box to view netflix, hbo go, pandora, etc, so I don't necessarily need to focus on those features.

I have been going back and forth between the Vizio M series and the Samsung HU8550, but am here to get your input. I've thought about going for a less expensive tv for now and waiting for black Friday/Cyber Monday, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread