the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7381 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I know it is only one opinion but if you look at the picture quality in this review, most of the sets are about the same in PQ on the larger screens.
http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/compare-reviews.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
I know it is only one opinion but if you look at the picture quality in this review, most of the sets are about the same in PQ on the larger screens.
http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/compare-reviews.php
That site is terrible. The reviews are almost totally superficial and virtually everything scores fairly high.
post #7383 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Buying my first new TV in years in need help. I have a great mancave set up

1. Budget - I would like to stay under $2,000

2. Seating distance - sofa is ~14 ft from the TV

3. Size/Placement - big space but cannot mount because its in a bump out, will need tv stand. can fit as big of a tv as i want (65" minimum)

4. Uses and sources - Sports and movies

5. Room lighting - in basement so its dark, i have dim lighting
post #7384 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
That site is terrible. The reviews are almost totally superficial and virtually everything scores fairly high.
I did not say I cared for the site but it gave PQ comparisons. The http://www.rtings.com/ site is a lot more helpful if you are researching TVs.
post #7385 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did not say I cared for the site but it gave PQ comparisons. The http://www.rtings.com/ site is a lot more helpful if you are researching TVs.
But those are meaningless comparisons.

I agree that rtings.com is a lot more helpful though.
post #7386 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevin33 View Post
Buying my first new TV in years in need help. I have a great mancave set up

2. Seating distance - sofa is ~14 ft from the TV

3. Size/Placement - big space but cannot mount because its in a bump out, will need tv stand. can fit as big of a tv as i want (65" minimum)

4. Uses and sources - Sports and movies

5. Room lighting - in basement so its dark, i have dim lighting
Vizio M70-C3 for UHD/4K

For a 1080p I would also look at the Sony 75W850C
post #7387 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Vizio M70-C3 for UHD/4K

For a 1080p I would also look at the Sony 75W850C
Thanks. What if i said my budget was $1600? Would u say man up and buy one of these anyways?
post #7388 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. What if i said my budget was $1600? Would u say man up and buy one of these anyways?
The Vizio M70 is only $100 more than that. But if your budget was firm I would just drop down in size to the Vizio M65-C1 and the Sony 65W850C.
post #7389 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Two questions - if everything else is the same, is the flat v. curved questions purely aesthetic? I thought I read in on here that the curved would give a better PQ (again, all else equal). I loved the curved screens I saw, but I don't know if I was just marveling at the novelty.

Second - would a curved sound bar look ridiculous under a flat tv? I ask here only because the sound bar thread is pretty dead. Thanks if anyone can chime in
post #7390 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 07:39 PM

i thought at that viewing distance, u cannot tell difference between 1080p or 4k?

I'm leaning toward the Vizeo, but only see it for 1700 at Costco (no membership). Looks like its 1800 everywhere else?
post #7391 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
Two questions - if everything else is the same, is the flat v. curved questions purely aesthetic? I thought I read in on here that the curved would give a better PQ (again, all else equal). I loved the curved screens I saw, but I don't know if I was just marveling at the novelty.
Curved panels on average have lower uniformity. Curved panels give worse off-angle horizontal viewing. Supposedly curved screens provide slightly better off angle viewing vertically. Some believe that curved screens, when sufficiently large or you are sufficiently close, provide a more immersive experience.

My opinion is, yes, it is an aesthetic choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
Second - would a curved sound bar look ridiculous under a flat tv? I ask here only because the sound bar thread is pretty dead. Thanks if anyone can chime in
Depends how pronounced the curve is and how thick the TV above it was.
post #7392 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
i thought at that viewing distance, u cannot tell difference between 1080p or 4k?

I'm leaning toward the Vizeo, but only see it for 1700 at Costco (no membership). Looks like its 1800 everywhere else?
From what I understand, most "non-4k" sets are entry-level, meaning that if you are looking for a tv that has great PQ even at 1080p, you likely will end up with a model that has 4K support. The Vizio seems to be a great choice.

Quote:
Curved panels on average have lower uniformity. Curved panels give worse off-angle horizontal viewing. Supposedly curved screens provide slightly better off angle viewing vertically. Some believe that curved screens, when sufficiently large or you are sufficiently close, provide a more immersive experience.

My opinion is, yes, it is an aesthetic choice.

Depends how pronounced the curve is and how thick the TV above it was.
I figured as much. Based on some incentives offered at a local store, I am now set to spend around $2k-3k. I was deciding between the 65in JS8500, JS9000, JU7500, and JU7100. I think that probably rule out the JS9000, as I just don't know if the "curve" is worth it. The 65 JU7500 is well within my price range, which is good, as is the JU7100.

At the end of the day, I still need to decide between 55" and 65". I think 55" will be "fine," but 65 is much more impressive from my viewing distance (about 8ft 4in). If I can figure out what size I want, that may help me decide on the unit, as the 55" is much less expensive across the board vs. the 65".
post #7393 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Under $1600, the Vizio E70-C3 is your best bet. Essentially the same as the M70 but 1080p instead of 4k.
post #7394 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Under $1600, the Vizio E70-C3 is your best bet. Essentially the same as the M70 but 1080p instead of 4k.
The Vizio M-series has twice am many dimming zones as the E-series among other improvements.

Unless your budget is absolutely fixed it is almost always worth the extra money to get to the M-series regardless of 1080p vs 4K.
post #7395 of 7409 Unread Yesterday, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The Vizio M-series has twice am many dimming zones as the E-series among other improvements.

Unless your budget is absolutely fixed it is almost always worth the extra money to get to the M-series regardless of 1080p vs 4K.
The 65 and 70" E series Vizios share more with the M series than the smaller screens. Same 6 core processor, 120Hz refresh, same features. Key differences are 4k vs 1080p obviously, more local dimming zones, 4 HDMI's vs 5 on the M and a keyboard remote on the M. The 60" and below sizes are more of a step down.
post #7396 of 7409 Unread Today, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well I ended up ordering the Sammy JS8500 55 inch. Thanks to all on this board who helped me with my decision especially Dalto and golfster. My wife actually helped me make the decision (who would have thunk it?). she said instead of obsessing about getting a 65 inch set and sinking a lot of money into that ideal set for the media room and worried about the technology changing, get the best smaller set and stick it in the family room wall unit (where we do watch a fair amount of tv) and replace an aging 40 inch LED. It makes sense for me. In another year or two hopefully the picture will clear (no pun) on WCG, OLED, HDR, 4k streaming, 4K players, quantum dots, HDMI 2.0a etc. Now all I have to worry about is the panel type, banding, clouding, flashlighting, shipping damage..................
dalto likes this.
post #7397 of 7409 Unread Today, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I am stationed in korea -- new place doesn't work with the projector. Amazingly Samsung and LG TVs are crazy expensive on the Korean Market. On base I can get:

Sony XBR55X850B
Samsung UN55HU8500

Both for about $1,400.

The oddball for $500 is an Lexdium LTX CND-554KA -- it's UHD but I don't know if it does HDMI 2.0 or the appropriate DRM...

Interested in PQ only -- I have a 5.1 system and plenty of devices to pump content

Distance is 5-10 feet and 45 degrees from centerline of the screen

Here for a year -- so I'm not sure if I should get something to get through the year or get something nice to keep and maybe move into the bedroom/office when I move back to the states.
Did you every make a decision?

We're stationed in Germany for 3 years and I just needed to get something for the living room so the kiddo can watch netflix, so we picked up the Lexdium (LTX CND554KE) at the BX for $400

http://lexdium.com/skin/page/products_tv.html

Has anybody else seen these aside from one person in Korea? What's interesting is that it's dual voltage and UHD.
post #7398 of 7409 Unread Today, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello all. I'm currently in the market for a new HDTV (non 4k). Im just not completely sold on 4k as of yet. Maybe in a few years. Since 4ks are out now I see that HDTVs are looking fairly cheap. I have a budget of $2000 and I'm looking for a 55 to 60 inch model. This will be used for sports and gaming mostly (Xbox One). What would be the best bang for my buck here? United States btw. Thank you in advance.
post #7399 of 7409 Unread Today, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKMACH1NE View Post
Hello all. I'm currently in the market for a new HDTV (non 4k). Im just not completely sold on 4k as of yet. Maybe in a few years. Since 4ks are out now I see that HDTVs are looking fairly cheap. I have a budget of $2000 and I'm looking for a 55 to 60 inch model. This will be used for sports and gaming mostly (Xbox One). What would be the best bang for my buck here? United States btw. Thank you in advance.
The Sony 55W800C or the Samsung 60J6300 are the best available 1080p sets in that size/price range that I know of.

I would just warn you that I am not sure that 1080p sets have really gotten cheaper. They just stopped making anything but entry level sets.
post #7400 of 7409 Unread Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
Well I ended up ordering the Sammy JS8500 55 inch. Thanks to all on this board who helped me with my decision especially Dalto and golfster. My wife actually helped me make the decision (who would have thunk it?). she said instead of obsessing about getting a 65 inch set and sinking a lot of money into that ideal set for the media room and worried about the technology changing, get the best smaller set and stick it in the family room wall unit (where we do watch a fair amount of tv) and replace an aging 40 inch LED. It makes sense for me. In another year or two hopefully the picture will clear (no pun) on WCG, OLED, HDR, 4k streaming, 4K players, quantum dots, HDMI 2.0a etc. Now all I have to worry about is the panel type, banding, clouding, flashlighting, shipping damage..................
Very good TV and sounds like a wise decision. My 70" TV is downstairs with the better surround system, but we spend the majority of our time in our TV room viewing my aging Panasonic 50" plasma. Going from a 40" to a 55" is huge and you will probably spend a higher percentage of your time in front of that TV now. I weel like you that in a couple years, the 4k, HDR etc will be more mainstream and you will get a larger set at a lower price. Of course, the manufacturers will have another "must have" technology to separate us from our money. Enjoy
post #7401 of 7409 Unread Today, 07:35 AM

Best TV for gamer/sport watcher

Hi guys! I'm new here and this forum seems like the perfect place to find answers to my questions.

The release of MGSV The Phantom Pain tomorrow convinced me of buying a new TV. Also, I watch a lot of hockey, and bluray movies. I'm pretty much set on a Vizio E50C1. I just have a few questions to make sure I'm doing a great deal :

1) Will I see a big picture quality difference between this new E50C1 and my old Sony Bravia 40 inch (1080p 120hz) that I bought about 6 years ago?

2) Is the sound really that terrible on the E50C1? Compared to my old Bravia?

3) Do you have a better suggestion (value for money important) for a budget of 800$ (canadian so approx. 620$ USD) ?

Thank you very much guys!
post #7402 of 7409 Unread Today, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Bouchard View Post
Hi guys! I'm new here and this forum seems like the perfect place to find answers to my questions.

The release of MGSV The Phantom Pain tomorrow convinced me of buying a new TV. Also, I watch a lot of hockey, and bluray movies. I'm pretty much set on a Vizio E50C1. I just have a few questions to make sure I'm doing a great deal :

1) Will I see a big picture quality difference between this new E50C1 and my old Sony Bravia 40 inch (1080p 120hz) that I bought about 6 years ago?

2) Is the sound really that terrible on the E50C1? Compared to my old Bravia?

3) Do you have a better suggestion (value for money important) for a budget of 800$ (canadian so approx. 620$ USD) ?

Thank you very much guys!
It is unlikely you are going to find something better than the E-series for the same money unless you go used or find something NOS

As far as a comparison to your Bravia. It depends which Bravia you have today. Do you know the model number by chance?
post #7403 of 7409 Unread Today, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The Sony 55W800C or the Samsung 60J6300 are the best available 1080p sets in that size/price range that I know of.

I would just warn you that I am not sure that 1080p sets have really gotten cheaper. They just stopped making anything but entry level sets.
The best buy im going to has the Sony in stock so I will check this out. They also have the LG 55EC9300 for sale at $1999.

Does anyone have any opinions on this one? Does anyone know if this is a true 240hz or is it how they are marketing that tech?
post #7404 of 7409 Unread Today, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the answer.

I'm 95% sure the model is a Sony Bravia KDL-40EX500. I paid a little under 1000$ CAD about 5 or 6 years ago. I'm thinking that the technology might have evolved since, even if the Vizio E50-C1 is 1080p and 120hz just like my old Bravia.
post #7405 of 7409 Unread Today, 08:22 AM

Quote:
It is unlikely you are going to find something better than the E-series for the same money unless you go used or find something NOS

As far as a comparison to your Bravia. It depends which Bravia you have today. Do you know the model number by chance?
Thanks for the answer.

I'm 95% sure the model is a Sony Bravia KDL-40EX500. I paid a little under 1000$ CAD about 5 or 6 years ago. I'm thinking that the technology might have evolved since, even if the Vizio E50-C1 is 1080p and 120hz just like my old Bravia.
post #7406 of 7409 Unread Today, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my wife has said it would be OK if we get a new TV - We have some differing movie/TV/gaming tastes so there are a lot of times where it would be nice to have a second set. The new TV would replace the 54" Panny Plasma we have in our living room with the surround sound, and the Plasma would go to the bedroom or our family room.

Wants:
65"
$1500-$2000
Would love OLED but the price is just too high right now and I don't see sets in that size getting down to that price range for a few more years.
I was mostly set on Samsung or Sony - Haven't really seen a lot of Panasonic's lately? - but I'm hearing a lot of good things about Vizio so that's what I'm leaning towards.
4K - Seems like all the new sets in this range are 4K whether you like it or not?
Picture quality - I really love my Panasonics picture, I'd like to get as close to it as I can - I know this may be tough with LED/LCD.

I guess my real decision is get something now, or maybe just get a smaller/cheaper set for now, keep the 54" in the main TV room, and get what I really want when they are the price I want. Thoughts and recommendations?

PSN: bdshort
post #7407 of 7409 Unread Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Bouchard View Post
Thanks for the answer.

The Vizio E50-C1 has a 60Hz panel if that concerns you.

I haven't seen that model but I suspect that picture quality overall will be fairly comparable based on the specs. The LED-backlit E-series will probably be brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKMACH1NE View Post
The best buy im going to has the Sony in stock so I will check this out. They also have the LG 55EC9300 for sale at $1999.

Does anyone have any opinions on this one? Does anyone know if this is a true 240hz or is it how they are marketing that tech?
The OLED offers excellent viewing angles and exceptional blacks with it's emissive technology. The RAW PQ quality is fantastic.

The biggest issue with that set is motion handling. Some people find it objectional. Input lag is also a little high in the upper 40's which may or may not be an issue for you depending on what kind of games you play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
So my wife has said it would be OK if we get a new TV - We have some differing movie/TV/gaming tastes so there are a lot of times where it would be nice to have a second set. The new TV would replace the 54" Panny Plasma we have in our living room with the surround sound, and the Plasma would go to the bedroom or our family room.

Wants:
65"
$1500-$2000
Would love OLED but the price is just too high right now and I don't see sets in that size getting down to that price range for a few more years.
I was mostly set on Samsung or Sony - Haven't really seen a lot of Panasonic's lately? - but I'm hearing a lot of good things about Vizio so that's what I'm leaning towards.
4K - Seems like all the new sets in this range are 4K whether you like it or not?
Picture quality - I really love my Panasonics picture, I'd like to get as close to it as I can - I know this may be tough with LED/LCD.

I guess my real decision is get something now, or maybe just get a smaller/cheaper set for now, keep the 54" in the main TV room, and get what I really want when they are the price I want. Thoughts and recommendations?
Panasonic pretty much only sells direct through their website in the US market. They are still out there.

In that price/size range you pretty much have the Vizio M-series in 65 or 70" for a decent 4K set.

In a 1080p set you have the Sony W850C in 65" or 75".

Given your budget and size desires I typically recommend the Vizio M70-C3 unless there is a specific reason to drive you into one of the other sets.
post #7408 of 7409 Unread Today, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just moved to a new house and upgrading my living room TV until I get to build my HT w/a projector in another space.

2. Seating distance - sofa is ~13 ft from the TV
3. Size/Placement - 65" wall mounted
4. Uses and sources - Sports, TV, movies (in that order)
5. Room lighting - bright, lots of windows

I really would like good off angle viewing. Before posting I was mostly considering the Samsung UN65JU7100 and the Vizio M65. I had several Samsungs and been very happy. I don't care about 3D or smart features.
post #7409 of 7409 Unread Today, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsf0817 View Post

I really would like good off angle viewing. Before posting I was mostly considering the Samsung UN65JU7100 and the Vizio M65.
If you wamt good viewing angles, you might want to consider an LG. Most if not all have IPS screen that have wider viewing angles than the VA screens used in most other LCDs. I was looking at some sets in Costco today and the LGs they had on display did seem to look more uniform at wider viewing angles than most of the other TVs on display. Check it out for yourself to see if viewing angles are adequate on the sets you like. That said, I love my Vizio E70 and can view at about 8-9 feet off center from about 12' viewing distance before the color seems to start to fade.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread