the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7411 of 7432 Old 08-31-2015, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If you are a Costco member the LG 65UF7690 - 65" 4k is on sale for $2100. The 65" Vizio M-series is on sale for $1449 and if you only need 1080p the E-series is a whopping bargain at $879.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7432 Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
If you are a Costco member the LG 65UF7690 - 65" 4k is on sale for $2100.
I think that particular LG uses a VA panel as well, doesn't it?
post #7413 of 7432 Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I think that particular LG uses a VA panel as well, doesn't it?
You may be correct. LG does not list it either way, but the 65UF7700 does for $1800 at Best Buy.
post #7414 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a new television and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Budget is under $2500 (certainly under $3000 if the right set is available). Could be talked into under $2K if right set.

2. Viewing area has 2 couches and a large chair in a U shape with large couch facing television and smaller couch at 90 degrees and chair at 45 degrees to TV. The center of the main sofa is12 feet away and directly in front of television. The side couch and chair on the opposite sides roughly 7 feet from the television and 5.5 feet off the center of the Entertainment Center. Picture quality is more important to me and I sit in the main sofa directly in front of the TV. This is less important for my wife.

3. Television will go in a large entertainment system, which can easily handle a 65" television up to 37.5" tall. 70" will be too big and wife will veto as well.

4. Source will be Cable/Sat, BluRay, and Netflix/Amazon Prime.
Sports-Primarily Golf and Football.
Movies-all kinds
My wife watches HDTV and such stations 24/7 (seems like it).
This television will almost certainly never be used to play games.

5. Television sits in a living room with windows on both sides. Bright environment during the day.

Will add a sound bar from simplicity purposes and better audio (use Yamaha A3000 surround sound for movies) over television speakers.

Thanks, again. Ed
post #7415 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Ed View Post
I am looking for a new television and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Budget is under $2500 (certainly under $3000 if the right set is available). Could be talked into under $2K if right set.

2. Viewing area has 2 couches and a large chair in a U shape with large couch facing television and smaller couch at 90 degrees and chair at 45 degrees to TV. The center of the main sofa is12 feet away and directly in front of television. The side couch and chair on the opposite sides roughly 7 feet from the television and 5.5 feet off the center of the Entertainment Center. Picture quality is more important to me and I sit in the main sofa directly in front of the TV. This is less important for my wife.

3. Television will go in a large entertainment system, which can easily handle a 65" television up to 37.5" tall. 70" will be too big and wife will veto as well.

Movies-all kinds

5. Television sits in a living room with windows on both sides. Bright environment during the day.
Do you watch movies in the dim/dark at night or is the room always well lit?
post #7416 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Do you watch movies in the dim/dark at night or is the room always well lit?

At night, we dim the lights, typically not fully off.
post #7417 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Movies-all kinds

At your viewing distance, 4k is not necessary for that size screen except if you sit at that 7 foot distance you might see the pixels and may want to go with a 4k set rather than 1080p-your call. I would recommend a Vizio E65 (1080p) or M65 (4k) except that the screen is pretty reflective. I have windows behind me and on very dark scenes, they reflect in the screen of my E70 but not a problem at all in normally lit scenes. If the windows are to the side-no problem, it will be bright enough. There is a dedicated button for both Netflex and Amazon on the remote and the apps boot up very quickly. I do not have a problem with motion blur watching football on mine. Not sure what your viewing angle would be. At 12 feet, mine is good for at least 8 feet off center. This TV and most others have VA panels. If you need a wider viewing angle, consider some of the LG TVs that have IPS panels.
post #7418 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How does Vizio M series compare to a TC-P60ST30?

Hi Folks, I greatly respect your opinions, and this thread has been very helpful, thank you! The Vizio Ms seem like the perfect TV to meet my current needs, and I hope to snatch one up in the coming Labor day sales (fingers crossed for some good bargains). I'm considering either the M65-C1 or M70-C3. Unfortunately, I do not follow this subject closely enough to have all the necessary reference points across the years to translate the opinions in this thread to answer my very specific question, so I was hoping someone could pity me and take the time to reply to this: How will the picture on this TV compare to that on my Panasonic TC-P60ST30?

The long story is that my Panasonic (whose picture I absolutely love) has been buzzing louder and louder lately*, and I'd like to sell it while the selling is good. I'd be thrilled to replace it with another plasma, but alas, no one is making them anymore. From my research it seems like the next really good TV display tech is OLED, but it also seems like it is *at least* a few years out from being widely available for the price range I'd consider ($1.5-$2k for a 65"). So, what I'm looking for is a stop-gap set to have for 2-3 years while I wait for OLED to mature and have some volume productions. Hence, I'm ok with not having the HDR, etc this Vizio is missing as by the time enough content supports it, I'll be in the market for my next TVs replacement. Anyway, my biggest concern is that I'll be taking a step back in terms of image quality on my current plasma. Is this a totally ridiculous concern?

Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions you can offer!

* I know there are some potential fixes for this involving opening up the set and etc etc. I'm not interested in that. If I can get into a comparable 4k TV for $1500, I'll be happy with the 4 years of good life I got out of the Panasonic and whatever I can get for it used
post #7419 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need help deciding. Looking for a 60inch LED 4k TV.
Budget: preferably $1500, but will go to $2000 if it makes a big difference

Seating distance: roughly 8ft

Looking at hanging on wall or on a tv stand as a backup

Uses are for movies and sports(specifically hockey and college football)

It'll be in a front room with windows on the opposite wall it'll sit. The TV will come off the fireplace and go on the wall and the couch will move opposite wall with the windows.
Obviously picture quality is important as is motion blur with fast moving images. Especially since a main use will be watching hockey.
Two that caught my eye were Samsung un60ju7100 and vizio m60-c1. Any other recommendations would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	921354  

Last edited by wolverines0607; Yesterday at 03:54 PM.
post #7420 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

The InterWeb just sucked an hour from my life as I tried to research my new TV. It was fun, but I'm nowhere closer to knowing what to buy than when I started. Just finishing a completely renovation of my home and now I get to enjoy relaxing... eventually.

Basics: 65"-70" with Passive 3D for evening movie watching

1 BUDGET: I guess my max would be $3000, but that would have to be for a freaking awesome TV or a really great deal that I just can't pass up. Would be much happier around the $2000 mark... obviously less money for more TV is what we all want, right? I won't be using the TV speakers, so I don't care about the sound quality.

2 SEATING: the sectional is about 18' from the TV, so eyeballs will be 16'-18' away from the wall.

3 SIZE/PLACEMENT: wall mounting this baby and I have 62" between my in-wall speakers. This means I can do most 70" and pretty much any 65" TV, I think.

4 USES/SOURCES: this will mostly be used for evening movies, however there will be very occasional Halo and CoD sessions and some daytime TV watching. 99% of my source material comes from my KDLinks HD720 media player via HDMI (3D capable, but haven't tried yet). I also have an Xbox One that I'll have hooked up, but again, I infrequently play games so I am not really worried about lag.

5 LIGHTING: during the day the room is very bright, but most viewing will be in the evening or at night.

*I can wait a week or three to buy this since I am still completing the finish work in the living room. I'd love to get a great deal somewhere!
post #7421 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Hi Folks, I greatly respect your opinions, and this thread has been very helpful, thank you! The Vizio Ms seem like the perfect TV to meet my current needs, and I hope to snatch one up in the coming Labor day sales (fingers crossed for some good bargains). I'm considering either the M65-C1 or M70-C3. Unfortunately, I do not follow this subject closely enough to have all the necessary reference points across the years to translate the opinions in this thread to answer my very specific question, so I was hoping someone could pity me and take the time to reply to this: How will the picture on this TV compare to that on my Panasonic TC-P60ST30?

The long story is that my Panasonic (whose picture I absolutely love) has been buzzing louder and louder lately*, and I'd like to sell it while the selling is good. I'd be thrilled to replace it with another plasma, but alas, no one is making them anymore. From my research it seems like the next really good TV display tech is OLED, but it also seems like it is *at least* a few years out from being widely available for the price range I'd consider ($1.5-$2k for a 65"). So, what I'm looking for is a stop-gap set to have for 2-3 years while I wait for OLED to mature and have some volume productions. Hence, I'm ok with not having the HDR, etc this Vizio is missing as by the time enough content supports it, I'll be in the market for my next TVs replacement. Anyway, my biggest concern is that I'll be taking a step back in terms of image quality on my current plasma. Is this a totally ridiculous concern?

Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions you can offer!

* I know there are some potential fixes for this involving opening up the set and etc etc. I'm not interested in that. If I can get into a comparable 4k TV for $1500, I'll be happy with the 4 years of good life I got out of the Panasonic and whatever I can get for it used
If you delve through the earlier posts, I sort of addressed this issue. I have a 50" Panasonic plasma and absolutely love the picture. I bought a 70" Vizio E70-C3. I paid $1300 a couple months ago but in a couple days, Costco will have it on sale for $1100-worth buying a membership.

As far as picture vs a plasma, I have adjusted it to the point that it is quite comparable. The LCD is considerably brighter than the plasma and as such, the whites look very bright in comparison. The blacks are nearly as good as the blacks on the plasma. If you cut the sharpness back (I have mine at 5) and keep the contrast and backlight turned down a little, the whites look more plasma like. I have 2 settings I use- on the "calibrated" setting the backlight is at 90 and on the "calibrated dark" setting, it is at 50. I use the first in daylight and the later at night. When I switch from day to night setting, it seems dark an dull for a minute or so but then it starts to look a lot like the plasma picture I love. The big advantage over the plasma is that the daytime viewing is a lot better than the plasma. This set is a big improvement over the 47" LCD that it replaced-especially the black levels. If you do not have to have 4k, it is a very small price to pay for a TV to hold you until 4k, HDR, OLED etc all stabilize and the prices fall. I do not regret buying this TV at all. It is very enjoyable to watch.
post #7422 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post

1 BUDGET: I guess my max would be $3000, but that would have to be for a freaking awesome TV or a really great deal that I just can't pass up. Would be much happier around the $2000 mark... obviously less money for more TV is what we all want, right? I won't be using the TV speakers, so I don't care about the sound quality.

2 SEATING: the sectional is about 18' from the TV, so eyeballs will be 16'-18' away from the wall.

3 SIZE/PLACEMENT: wall mounting this baby and I have 62" between my in-wall speakers. This means I can do most 70" and pretty much any 65" TV, I think.

!
I can not speak much to 3D except I do not have it and do not want it. It seems to be dying out as it is now a feature on a TV rather than the main selling point. At your viewing distance, you will not see any benefit from 4k and you probably want to go with the 70" screen. If you stick to 1080p, you should be able to get a great 3DTV and come in under budget. The Sharp Aquos Q+ series might fit your criteria and budget.
http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...V/Compare.aspx

Last edited by golfster; Yesterday at 04:43 PM.
post #7423 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Movies-all kinds

Will add a sound bar from simplicity purposes and better audio (use Yamaha A3000 surround sound for movies) over television speakers.
The best set which is at the top of your extended budget is the Samsung 65JS8500. It ticks most of the boxes. 4K/UHD, HDR, WCG, local dimming, 600 nits peak, etc

Down from there we have the Samsung 65JU7100 and the Sony 65X850C. The Samsung has the one-connect mini to give you some degree of future proofing and the Sony has WCG support and Android TV.

Down further from there into your lowest budget range is the Vizio M65-C1. An entry level 4K set with a basic FALD system or the 1080p Sony 65W850C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post

Ehh...that is hard question to answer. It really depends how you define picture quality.

The plasma has more uniform blacks. The local dimming system on the Vizio will allow the blacks to get dark but not in areas where there is also bright objects.

The Vizio should be brighter.

Motion handling is going to be better on the plasma, although whether you notice the differences will be very dependent on the individual.

The viewing angles on the plasma will be vastly better.

The Vizio offers increased resolution with UHD/4K.

Colors can be calibrated to be fairly close.

Quote:
The InterWeb just sucked an hour from my life as I tried to research my new TV. It was fun, but I'm nowhere closer to knowing what to buy than when I started. Just finishing a completely renovation of my home and now I get to enjoy relaxing... eventually.

4 USES/SOURCES: this will mostly be used for evening movies, however there will be very occasional Halo and CoD sessions and some daytime TV watching. 99% of my source material comes from my KDLinks HD720 media player via HDMI (3D capable, but haven't tried yet). I also have an Xbox One that I'll have hooked up, but again, I infrequently play games so I am not really worried about lag.

5 LIGHTING: during the day the room is very bright, but most viewing will be in the evening or at night.
3D is easy, passive 3D is hard. Most of the TVs have gone to active 3D this year.

The LG 65UF9500 is about my only good recommendation in that size range with passive 3D.
post #7424 of 7432 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

So I am looking for the best bang for the buck tv i can get for 1700 or less. Currently I imagine the Vizio M70 is the best bang for the buck if going the 4k route and I am hoping on gaming it is awesome, but less say I decided not to go with 4k and decided since I am living in an apartment, 70 inches may be too big with sitting 10 ft away. What is the best 55-65 inch I could get with the following criteria if I do not go the 4k route and stick to 1080p:

1. Budget - I would like to stay under $1700
2. Seating distance - sofa is ~10 ft from the TV
3. Size/Placement - 55- 65" tv stand
4. Uses and sources - Video Games (hardcore all next gen and previous gen consoles), Movies, Sports
5. Room lighting - somewhat bright in the day but super dim or dark in evening to night.

Thank you in advance for the help.
post #7425 of 7432 Old Today, 12:00 AM

Quote:
3D is easy, passive 3D is hard. Most of the TVs have gone to active 3D this year.

The LG 65UF9500 is about my only good recommendation in that size range with passive 3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
I can not speak much to 3D except I do not have it and do not want it. It seems to be dying out as it is now a feature on a TV rather than the main selling point. At your viewing distance, you will not see any benefit from 4k and you probably want to go with the 70" screen. If you stick to 1080p, you should be able to get a great 3DTV and come in under budget. The Sharp Aquos Q+ series might fit your criteria and budget.

UGH, all that researching fried my brain! I forgot to mention that I originally was thinking 4k until I read a few posts around here that talking about seating distance. While I don't think the 4k is really necessary for pretty much anything right now, when combined with passive 3d the resolution of each eyeball/frame is 1080 without flickering or expensive glasses that need to continually be recharged. It seems like a much more enjoyable way to watch a 3D movie. Plus over the next few years when 4k becomes more common, I might rearrange the room to get a little closer.

The Sharp Aquos Q+ is active 3D and I don't want to have powered glasses. Having to treat them as precious will be annoying, I would much rather have friends/kids destroy some theater freebies instead.

The LG seems like a contender! In some photos it looks like it has a curved screen, but I can't really tell for sure or not. I could find nothing on the mfg's site that said it has a curved screen, but none that said it was flat either. Can I get a definitive yes or no on that?
post #7426 of 7432 Old Today, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totobrain View Post
So I am looking for the best bang for the buck tv i can get for 1700 or less. Currently I imagine the Vizio M70 is the best bang for the buck if going the 4k route and I am hoping on gaming it is awesome, but less say I decided not to go with 4k and decided since I am living in an apartment, 70 inches may be too big with sitting 10 ft away. What is the best 55-65 inch I could get with the following criteria if I do not go the 4k route and stick to 1080p:
The Vizio M70-C3 is definitely what I would recommend. 70" at 10' is definitely not too close. Gaming on a big screen like that is so much more immersive. I have a 75" screen at 11'

If you want a 1080p set my recommendation would be the Sony 65W850C.

Quote:
The LG seems like a contender! In some photos it looks like it has a curved screen, but I can't really tell for sure or not. I could find nothing on the mfg's site that said it has a curved screen, but none that said it was flat either. Can I get a definitive yes or no on that?
It is flat. They will have them at most Best Buy stores if you want to see one in person.
post #7427 of 7432 Old Today, 07:17 AM

Replacing broken Vizio E600i-B3

So my son broke our 9 month old E600i-B3 and needing to replace it. Was looking to just get the E60-C3 to replace it with the newer model, but can someone help me understand if there is a difference between the two really? I did have some noticeable issues with poor black performance (blocking and shading when it should have been solid black), will the C3 be better than the B3, or is it worth looking into M60-C3? Seating distance wise I don't think the 4K alone will do anything for me, but wondering about the additional LED zones and other general specs that the E does not have make it worth to take the jump to M series?
post #7428 of 7432 Old Today, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhen View Post
So my son broke our 9 month old E600i-B3 and needing to replace it. Was looking to just get the E60-C3 to replace it with the newer model, but can someone help me understand if there is a difference between the two really? I did have some noticeable issues with poor black performance (blocking and shading when it should have been solid black), will the C3 be better than the B3, or is it worth looking into M60-C3? Seating distance wise I don't think the 4K alone will do anything for me, but wondering about the additional LED zones and other general specs that the E does not have make it worth to take the jump to M series?
The Vizio E-series was mostly unchanged from 2014 to 2015. Although, if memory serves the 60" went from 16 zones to 12 zones.

You will get better effective black levels from the M-series due to it having almost 3 times as many dimming zones as the 2015 E-series.

You also get a 120Hz panel vs a 60Hz panel.

On top of that you get UHD/4K resolution.
post #7429 of 7432 Old Today, 07:52 AM

Quote:
The Vizio M70-C3 is definitely what I would recommend. 70" at 10' is definitely not too close. Gaming on a big screen like that is so much more immersive. I have a 75" screen at 11'

If you want a 1080p set my recommendation would be the Sony 65W850C.
So reading over teh 65W850C, rtings gives the tv a 7.1 specifically with these cons. "More motion blur and input lag than average, which is not ideal for gaming." Is this true of this tv?
post #7430 of 7432 Old Today, 10:07 AM

Replacing a 65" Panasonic VT60

Hey gang,

My (otherwise amazing) 65" Panasonic VT60 has VERY noticeable burn-in, and it's getting to be something I'm no longer able to live with. Thus, I'm looking to replace the TV (sigh), but I have some serious concerns. Here are my basic details:

1. Budget: Eh, pretty flexible. Probably no more than $3,500, so long as I'm not replacing it in 2 1/2 years (grumble)
2. Seating Distance: 10 ft. Mostly directly in front of the TV (slightly off-center if you're sitting on one side of the couch)
3. Size/placement: 65" wall mounted
4. Usage: video games (a lot of gaming), movies, television, streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime)
5. Lighting: bright room during the day, dark at night I have a window that reflects off the TV (unavoidable, but I close the blinds when it gets annoying)

I do NOT want a curved panel, and I don't want to lose any picture quality.

Is burn in a thing with LED panels? I thought it was a thing of the past on all devices, but boy was I sadly mistaken.
post #7431 of 7432 Old Today, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_mike View Post
Hey gang,

My (otherwise amazing) 65" Panasonic VT60 has VERY noticeable burn-in, and it's getting to be something I'm no longer able to live with. Thus, I'm looking to replace the TV (sigh), but I have some serious concerns. Here are my basic details:

1. Budget: Eh, pretty flexible. Probably no more than $3,500, so long as I'm not replacing it in 2 1/2 years (grumble)
2. Seating Distance: 10 ft. Mostly directly in front of the TV (slightly off-center if you're sitting on one side of the couch)
4. Usage: video games (a lot of gaming), movies, television, streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime)
5. Lighting: bright room during the day, dark at night I have a window that reflects off the TV (unavoidable, but I close the blinds when it gets annoying)

Is burn in a thing with LED panels? I thought it was a thing of the past on all devices, but boy was I sadly mistaken.
No, LCDs do not burn in the same as plasmas or CRTs but they can still retain an image for a while if you keep the same graphic up for a long time-probably due to your extensive gaming. Have you tried the remedies to fix the burn in on your plasma. Some TVs have a menu item for that or you can try unhooking the antenna lead and leaving the static on for a day or two. I hate to see a plasma ruined. The one thing you will like better about LCD over you plasma is the brightness and viewability in a bright room.
post #7432 of 7432 Old Today, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totobrain View Post
So reading over teh 65W850C, rtings gives the tv a 7.1 specifically with these cons. "More motion blur and input lag than average, which is not ideal for gaming." Is this true of this tv?
Input lag is sub-40ms. Pretty much the same as all 2015 Sony TVs. Most people will not notice that but if you are particularly sensitive you could.

As for motion handling, you would probably want to turn clearness on to 2 or so to compensate. If that is the TV you are most interested in I would definitely recommend checking it out in person. Motion perception varies greatly from person to person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_mike View Post
Hey gang,

All panels are capable of some degree of burn-in but plasma are definitely more susceptible than LCDs.

The Samsung 65JS8500 would be my recommendation for your needs/size/budget. If the Sony 65X930C dropped down in price I would take that instead. I would not pay more than $3500 for it though.

Another good option would be the Panasonic 65CX850. The only problem with those is that Panasonic is no longer selling through most retailers in the US so you have to buy it direct from Panasonic or a through a single east coast retailer.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread