the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 6220 Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for all the info.....its such a great place here...

I will be using this HDTV mainly for DVD...Bluray...HD veiwing (sports) and of course some gaming.

Its located in a man cave....so there isnt very much light to worry about reflection.

Seating distance about 10-15 feet

Ive narrowed down my choices to basically these sets...

All vary in price and size and I can live with either....my main concern is PQ and motion blur.....

Please give me a opinion on what you would favor....

Sharp Aquos 60" 1080p 120Hz LCD (LC60E77UN)
Sony 60" 1080p 120Hz LED (KDL60EX700)
LG 55" 1080P 240Hz LED HDTV** (55LH90)

Samsung 58" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV** (PN58B850)

The Sony LED and the Sammy Plasma are more expensive.......the Sharp and LG are about the same price.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6220 Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

link to the thread Shark mentioned is in my sig and i concur that Sharp models specifically the E77U would be a great choice for a 120hz gaming LCD TV

What do you think about the 42LH40 compared to the 40E77U?

I have looked at both before and they were on my list...

Thank you!
post #63 of 6220 Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 PM

Budget:

My current budget would be in the range of $1000-$1200. If I see the right set for a little higher and it gets me a lot more bang for my buck, I will bite, but I would perfer to stay in that zone.

Seating Distance:

7-9 feet generally.

Size/Placement Limitations:

Right now I have a giant, old rear project TV on wheels that is wedged in a corner. When I do upgrade to an LCD, I plan on mounting it on the wall. I am thinking of size range of somewhere between 46 and 50 inches.

Uses and Sources:

The main use of this TV will be HDTV viewing, mainly sporting events like football and baseball. I also own a PS3 for blu-ray movie watching and the occasional game or two, but shouldn't be highly considered in my purchase if it is going to cost me a lot more for a TV that gives minimal benefit towards gaming alone.

Room lighting:

Not a lot of natural light, there is a sliding glass door, but I live in Washington state (so not much sun to begin with), and I usually have the drapes drawn as it is. I have 2 lamps in the room, with usually 1 on depending on how many people are in the room or none if I am watching a movie.
post #64 of 6220 Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckymakers View Post

Thank you!

i would pick the Sharp over the LG because its been proven to have low lag, i've yet to see anyone test an LH40 but it *should* perform good for gaming considering the higher end model LH90 does well with it but even then the LH90 has 1 frame more lag than the Sharp

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #65 of 6220 Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mash View Post

Thanks for all the info.....its such a great place here...

I will be using this HDTV mainly for DVD...Bluray...HD veiwing (sports) and of course some gaming.

Its located in a man cave....so there isnt very much light to worry about reflection.

Seating distance about 10-15 feet

Ive narrowed down my choices to basically these sets...

All vary in price and size and I can live with either....my main concern is PQ and motion blur.....

Please give me a opinion on what you would favor....

Sharp Aquos 60" 1080p 120Hz LCD (LC60E77UN)
Sony 60" 1080p 120Hz LED (KDL60EX700)
LG 55" 1080P 240Hz LED HDTV** (55LH90)

Samsung 58" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV** (PN58B850)

The Sony LED and the Sammy Plasma are more expensive.......the Sharp and LG are about the same price.

Thanks for your help

Plasma will do better than most LCD's in reguards to motion blur while still giving you natural motion

have you viewed 120/240hz LCDs that have the motion enhancer active while playing a movie? if not i highly recommend you do that before purchasing an LCD with this Tech. its sort of a love hate thing for most people. some people love the effect and some people hate it, the ones who hate it get plasmas because they don't have the same problems with motion and considering its going into the den it sounds like brightness and reflections will be a non issue for you as well. LCD's have what is known as sample and hold blur without the use of motion enhancers and it causes moving images to look blurry, something plasma does not suffer from but it has its own problems like image retention and potential burn in, if you are considering a plasma go read up on them in the plasma section of these forums

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #66 of 6220 Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschimke View Post

Budget:

My current budget would be in the range of $1000-$1200. If I see the right set for a little higher and it gets me a lot more bang for my buck, I will bite, but I would perfer to stay in that zone.

Seating Distance:

7-9 feet generally.

Size/Placement Limitations:

Right now I have a giant, old rear project TV on wheels that is wedged in a corner. When I do upgrade to an LCD, I plan on mounting it on the wall. I am thinking of size range of somewhere between 46 and 50 inches.

Uses and Sources:

The main use of this TV will be HDTV viewing, mainly sporting events like football and baseball. I also own a PS3 for blu-ray movie watching and the occasional game or two, but shouldn't be highly considered in my purchase if it is going to cost me a lot more for a TV that gives minimal benefit towards gaming alone.

Room lighting:

Not a lot of natural light, there is a sliding glass door, but I live in Washington state (so not much sun to begin with), and I usually have the drapes drawn as it is. I have 2 lamps in the room, with usually 1 on depending on how many people are in the room or none if I am watching a movie.

if gaming is important to you check out the thread in my sig.

there are lots of models that will fit your bill, why not go out to a store and take a look at some TV's and make a list of ones you like in your price range

generally i will recommend you get the biggest set you can get and a 50" at 7 feet will look great, if your seating distance is more like 9 feet then i would consider going bigger

size is the single most important thing about a TV to get maximum immersion and as long as you stick with top tier brands your doing fine

(Sony, Samsung, Sharp, LG, and panasonic make the best TV's build quality wise)

post #67 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

(sony, samsung, sharp, lg, and panasonic make the best tv's build quality wise)

+1

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #68 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 02:06 AM

hi, samsung is excellent as well as bravia, i've seen threads about bravia that it uses samsung parts.. my conclusion is to go for samsung... very nice lcds

Cesar Anthony Villas
My Satellite Blog
post #69 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

When you say that you want RGB adjustment, are you referring to color gamut (color space) or white balance (grayscale)? The Samsung 32B550 has white balance controls, but appears to be missing the color gamut custom controls that the higher models have. The 32B650 is a bit more expensive, but it has those custom color gamut controls. You might also want to consider the 2010 C series equivalents, they just came out. Perhaps the 32C550 will have those custom color gamut controls. Unfortunately, its user manual isn't posted on the Samsung site, yet.

Thanks! I looked it up and it's about $225 more than the Sony, so I just bought that. I should get it Thurs. By RGB, I meant the individual color adjustments that we use with the red, blue, and green filters that we hold up in front of us. If I had to bet, I would bet that the Sony has that, because the last year models did. It just didn't say so in the manual. It has adjustable white balance.

I think I know a lot about this stuff, until I come on to this forum! LOL
post #70 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 03:53 AM

So I need some advice from the pros. price wise i know these are vastly different sets. However, they are within my budget so I want to consider both.

I'll keep this concise so not to bore anyone =)

All I care about is:

1) PQ
2) Performance
3) blacks ( I currently game on an 111 elite)

I'll be working on it 8 hours a day (coding / graphics) and playing games 2 hours a night. NO MOVIES.

Connections, size, price, speakers, bells & whistles etc don't really care about beyond 1 HDMI and VGA/DVI

HOWEVER, I do tend to prefer a smaller screen. So if there is some other screen that is smaller that has BETTER PQ and Performance (anything less will not do) I'm all ears. =)

So what say you?
post #71 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 06:46 AM

Hi Folks -
I used to have a Sony KP57HW40. One of it's great features was it could do a two screen side-by-side POP and support closed captioning on both screens simultaneously (I'm hearing impaired). It was very easy for me to follow two shows at the same time. Are there any LCD models out there that do this? I know the new Vizio's have POP (SV422XVT etc.) but can't find out in their online manual if it supports dual closed captioning. The Sony's turn off CC when in PIP mode (go figure!). I know you usually have to have two separate sources to use POP (OTA and sat tuner for instance) so I will probably be limited to an OTA station for my second source (although I plan to also use POP for my PC display to do stuff while watching a show). Much appreciative of any insights. Thanks.
post #72 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM

I'm interested in putting a LCD outside under a covered patio.

1. Budget - Really don't want to spend more than $400

2. Seating distance - Between 5 - 14 feet away

3. Size/placement limitations - 32 inch LCD 720P (will be mounted in the ceiling of the patio)

4. Uses and sources - Outside under the patio, will be used mostly during the day. I will pretty much only use it for watching sports.

5. Room lighting - Since it will be outside, it will be pretty bright. (sunlight won't be directly on tv - since it will be under patio).

What other considerations do I need to look at? I really looking at either the

- Vizio v032oe
- Phillips 32pfl3504d
- Tosibiha 32av502r

Really can't seem to find any Samsung's or Sony's in the price range.

Any suggestions? I'm considering buying it at Costco since I can get a 2 year warranty as well.
post #73 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 AM

I need to buy 2 tv's.

My budget for the 2 is $1400

TV 1
I need a 40" for a beach rental condo. The viewing distance will be 6-8' and it will be placed about 30" up. I haven't talked the wife into letting me add a HTIB, so unless I can sneak a soundbar in later, any that have good sound (for a tv) would be good also. I want it nice but need to take in consideration that as it is going in a rental condo it is subject to abuse/theft.

TV 2
I need a 32" to replace the 15" Phillips HDTV sitting on the dresser at the foot of the bed. Viewing distance is probably 10'-12'. No sound system in the room so one with decent tv sound would be a plus.

The 2 I have currently got marked as my favorites are both reconditioned Sonys from the Sony Style web site.

The KDL-Z4100/b for $729.00 and the KDL-32XBR9 for $479.99. If I were to go with a 720p set for the bedroom because of the viewing distance, I could apply the difference to the other tv. I would greatly appreciate comments or suggestions.
post #74 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdGamerDude View Post

So I need some advice from the pros. price wise i know these are vastly different sets. However, they are within my budget so I want to consider both.

I'll keep this concise so not to bore anyone =)

All I care about is:

1) PQ
2) Performance
3) blacks ( I currently game on an 111 elite)

I'll be working on it 8 hours a day (coding / graphics) and playing games 2 hours a night. NO MOVIES.

Connections, size, price, speakers, bells & whistles etc don't really care about beyond 1 HDMI and VGA/DVI

HOWEVER, I do tend to prefer a smaller screen. So if there is some other screen that is smaller that has BETTER PQ and Performance (anything less will not do) I'm all ears. =)

So what say you?

PC monitor use brings special requirements to the table, I've owned quite a few LCD TV's and have attempted to use them as monitors. its taken some time but the Panasonic 32/37 S1 LCD's are some of the best for this use and i now own a 37" S1 and love it

it would fit your bill on every account except black levels but i think the only model that would do better and still have low input lag but not as low as my panasonic would be an LG LH90 due to the local dimming on that model but that model is no made in a 32" size

there are pretty limited options for high performance 32" LCD's as it is
the ones with the best picture quality and black levels would be top end Sony and Samsung TV's but they will also be the worst ones for gaming on or using with a PC due to having more input lag than almost any other major brand name TV.

its a trade off and if your used to the terrible blacks on normal IPS professional graphic's monitors then you will do fine with a Panasonic 32" S1 (or newer model when they come out that has the same panel, the IPS-Alpha panel)

post #75 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Need some help deciding on features/size/asthetics for my new TV.

The TV will be used primarily for watching HDTV (cable) with a little bit of DVD and xbox 360/HDDVDs. It will not be connected to a PC.

The room is fairly lit so I have ruled out plasma. The couches are about 8 feet away (furthest point) from where the TV will be placed. It will not be wall mounted.

The choices so far are:

Samsung UN55B7000. I love the asthetics of this TV but PQ was a little something to be desired. I saw the 8000/8500 in store and the reflections off the bezel didn't seem to bother me.

Sony KDL-52EX700/701. This TV has lots of features that intrigue me. Wifi and USB to watch movies off a HDD are a plus. Wasn't 100% thrilled about the two toned bezel bit heard that an all black model is available. Cons - had a bad experience(s) with some of Sony's electronics so that has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Samsung UN46C7000. Lots of features including 3D capable but is the smallest sized of the 3.

Ruled out: all plasmas, Vizio and LG LEDs.

Any other suggestions? I'm really leaning towards the Sony. Just waiting to see the TV in person before I make the purchase.
post #76 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Hey guys well I am so glad I found this site even though there is soo much info and so many different opinions that after a while of reading all this my head is spinning and im just sooo lost on what TV to get.

Currently I am looking at these 2 models

TC-P50G20 Plasma

LN52B750U1F LCD

I am going to be using this TV with an xbox 360 and going to be playing a decent about of gaming on this TV, I know the whole debate of input lag gaming modes and all the fun stuff with the LCD as well as problems with plasma's like IR and burn in .... I did go to best buy this weekend to see them in person they did obviously have the samsung TV which did look really nice but they did not have the Panasonic in yet but they did have last years model and also the S1 ... I did ask the sales men too hook up a xbox 360 for me because I am scared of getting a TV with input lag but he was not able to do so at the current time... does anyone else have any ther 50-55 inch Tv's they they would recommend for gaming ? is it always better to get the newer modelsuch as the led tv's? I have read so many posts on this but still sooo confused please someone give me some insight so I can go get my TV already lol

TY
post #77 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM

I need an LCD tv which I'm going to use to replace my old 20 inch tube Toshiba 20A42. This tv is going to be used in the bedroom mostly for PS3, PS2, tv shows non-hd (basic cable) sports, and movies.

Preference: getting a slim sleek design LED. I am considering the Sony KDL-32EX700 any other suggestions? or does anyone recommend this tv? SONY OR SAMSUNG preferred.

1. Budget

My budget is $1,200 including tax (NY) if it's going to get me the best in the class. Generally I want to keep it between 700-900.

2. Seating distance

I'll be sitting from 4-6 feet away from the tv.

3. Size/placement limitations

I don't plan on mounting the tv since it's going to be in my bedroom so the highest tv size i can get is 32 inches 32 inch is my preference) 1080p

4. Uses and sources

I would need AT LEAST 1 component, 1 composite, 2 HDMI, antenna input. Added bonus would be internet connection, usb, audio output, PC.

5. Room lighting

The light its either on or off, can't be controlled during the night. Not really an issue.
post #78 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very lucky day. Won a couple of grand on scratch off lottery ticket. I currently have 46XBR#, thinking of going to a 50+. Any recommendations? Not interested in 3-D, just absolute best picture quality via bluray, HDTV etc.
Not tied to Sony. Have had both Sony & Samsung.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #79 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Just curious the recommended TV size would be for my situation:
Primary seating is 11-12ft away. The TV will be mounted above a vent free gas fireplace, roughly 6ft off of the ground. There is some secondary seating that will be rarely used, 5-6ft away.

Included a picture so it makes more sense:
http://www.deniedsociety.net/uziel/t...edistances.JPG
post #80 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel View Post

Primary seating is 11-12ft away. The TV will be mounted above a vent free gas fireplace, roughly 6ft off of the ground. There is some secondary seating that will be rarely used, 5-6ft away.

If you look at the chart on page 1 it looks like if you want 1080p at that distance you're going to need a 100" screen. 720p is best at around 50-60" so I think that would be your best route. The 5-6' viewing is also at an angle so check the reviews for TVs that perform well at those angles.
post #81 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post

Very lucky day. Won a couple of grand on scratch off lottery ticket. I currently have 46XBR#, thinking of going to a 50+. Any recommendations? Not interested in 3-D, just absolute best picture quality via bluray, HDTV etc.
Not tied to Sony. Have had both Sony & Samsung.

Samsung UN55B8500

"If at first you don't succeed......reboot"
B630/B640/B650 Owners Manual
post #82 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

As large as you can afford, 55" or larger if you can.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #83 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:

if you do a lot of gaming on the TV you may want to read my thread on input lag

strictly for gaming purposes i would pick the panasonic over the sony and samsung models because it will have less input lag than them both but it is worth noting that the 42U12 panny had almost as much lag as sony and samsung sets, Panasonic's 37" 1080p models are the best for gaming bar none, i own a 37S1 for that reason they are some of the best if not the best gaming TV's available today but if picture quality is more of a concern they do not have as dark blacks as sony and samsung sets normally do so its a trade off.

lastly if your not sitting very close to the TV and you do not mind closing the blinds to watch TV in the daytime your best bang for the buck would be a 720p plasma but that's neither here nor there so check out the plasma forum if you want to look into them, I'm not going to get into a discussion on that subject in this thread it will only cause problems

I'm not too concerned about input lag. I'm guessing my Wal-Mart Vizio has plenty and I've never used gaming mode. And the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't want to venture too far away from the Sony's and the Samsung's. I guess what I really want to say is: Should I get the Sony 40EX400 or the Samsung LN40C550?
post #84 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoholik View Post

If you look at the chart on page 1 it looks like if you want 1080p at that distance you're going to need a 100" screen. 720p is best at around 50-60" so I think that would be your best route. The 5-6' viewing is also at an angle so check the reviews for TVs that perform well at those angles.

A 50" 720p plasma would work well, excellent viewing angles and a good price tag.
post #85 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckymakers View Post

Thank you!

I think the E77U is a safer bet for gaming because its been proven to have low input lag, the LH40 should perform well in game mode but how well i'm not sure of and your taking a small gamble by getting it because of this unknown

the only thing i can say for certain is that the LH40 will not have lower input lag than the E77U because the E77U is pretty much as good as it gets with an LCD TV in this regard

post #86 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McUndecided View Post

I'm not too concerned about input lag. I'm guessing my Wal-Mart Vizio has plenty and I've never used gaming mode. And the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't want to venture too far away from the Sony's and the Samsung's. I guess what I really want to say is: Should I get the Sony 40EX400 or the Samsung LN40C550?

I would take the Sony over the Samsung then but that's because i will openly say i have a bias and dislike Samsung products due to their past history with power supply problems in their LCD TV's and their terrible track record in customer service if you happen to have a problem with the TV while its in the manufacture warranty period. Sony on the other hand has some of the best warranty service and if you say had your TV break within a year of being out of warranty they will often offer to sell you a new TV at a heavily discounted price, most companies will just say your SOL go buy a new one at full price somewhere or pay to get it repaired

those biased opinions aside the 2 models in question will perform similarly but the sony will still do better with games than the samsung. i would bet the samsung has more input lag than your Vizio has and you will hate it because it will be noticeable to most people in many games

post #87 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

A 50" 720p plasma would work well, excellent viewing angles and a good price tag.

I concur that is definitely a situation where a 720p or 1080p plasma would excel over any LCD TV

LCD TV's can do well with horizontal viewing angles but when you start looking at them for below or above it gets pretty bad picture wise esp with darker images

Judging by the photo you do not have any huge open windows in the room so i doubt you will have any major glare or brightness problems either so as long as your aware of Image retention and the possibility of burn in on a plasma and feel confident you will not leave static images (including black bars) on the TV for extreme amounts of time (more than 3-4 hours) i would get a plasma

post #88 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Would anyone mind indulging me on the following questions:

Samsung LN52B750 (found it for $1450)
Samsung UN46B8500 (found it for $2050)
Any of the 2010 LED/LCD Samsung models

My budget is $1500 - $2100 and I'd like a set that's 46" - 55" in size. I like both the models I've listed and have done plenty of research on them so it really comes down to picture quality vs. size/price. Anyone have a vote on which of the two is the better choice?

Is there any reason to think the 2010 models will be worthwhile? I don't really care about 3D technology, and it seems like none of them use true local dimming technology anymore. The only thing I like about them is that they produce a 55" set in the LN55C650 but from what I've seen it's only 120hz (but does a lack of 240hz even matter?)

Lastly, will prices on the LN52B750 and UN46B8500 drop with the new sets coming out or will they just become more scarce as they've been discontinued?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #89 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 PM

So I am looking to replace my 32 Mitsubishi CRT with built in amp!.... so its old...

I just bought a LG 32LH40 for 549 +tax because 1) I read that they have the best panel (IPS) 2) and I wanted to use it as a PC monitor for videos 3) We want to put a 52" in the family room this summer. But I have some buyers remorse (I haven't opened the box yet) and found this great thread so here goes.

1. Budget
600 would be nice because that is just what I spent and this is the secondary living space. But I could go higher

2. Seating distance
6-12 feet

3. Size/placement limitations
None really open wall

4. Uses and sources
Currently would be SD programming but after the plunge would upgrade to HD and a BR dvd player. Some light console gaming.
I bought the 32" 1080p because I would like to watch videos from my pc and maybe build a media pc to stream tv and movies and I figured 1080p would do better than 720p as a monitor but I am just guessing

5. Room lighting
One overhead light, I have a large picture window behind me and another window to the left, however I also have two huge trees blocking out the sun.

Thanks in advance for all of you help.
post #90 of 6220 Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:

I would take the Sony over the Samsung then but that's because i will openly say i have a bias and dislike Samsung products due to their past history with power supply problems in their LCD TV's and their terrible track record in customer service if you happen to have a problem with the TV while its in the manufacture warranty period. Sony on the other hand has some of the best warranty service and if you say had your TV break within a year of being out of warranty they will often offer to sell you a new TV at a heavily discounted price, most companies will just say your SOL go buy a new one at full price somewhere or pay to get it repaired

those biased opinions aside the 2 models in question will perform similarly but the sony will still do better with games than the samsung. i would bet the samsung has more input lag than your Vizio has and you will hate it because it will be noticeable to most people in many games

Though the panels haven't been tested yet, how much better would you expect the lag to be? How would you compare the general differences between the Samsung and Sony pictures(colors, black levels, etc.)? Do I run the risk of a panel lottery with the Sony?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page