the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 314 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 185Likes
post #9391 of 9396 Old 08-23-2016, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all, stop me if you've heard this before....I'm looking for an outdoor TV and I'm concerned about reflectivity/glare.

The TV will be under a covered patio where it will never be exposed to rain and probably never to direct sunlight of any kind, but I'm very concerned about picture quality and reflections. I visited the rtings.com site and reviewed their test results. Their list of highly rated TVs for low reflection included many Samsungs as you can see...

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pictu...tte-and-glossy

My problem is that I need a very specific size of 40" (a 39" TV might also work).
I'd also like to stay under $600-700 if possible.
And, while I'd prefer UHD/4K it's not necessary. A 1080P screen will be fine.

The Samsungs at the top of the list do not seem to come in 40" sizes. That appears to be my biggest challenge. The technologies I'm starting to hear about that help reduce reflectivity like Moth Eye, etc. do not seem to be found down at the 40" screen size.

Finally, I'm aware of the matte-like screen films that can be applied to a TV to reduce glare. I really want to avoid doing that, but it is a last resort I guess.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 9396 Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a 50-55" TV with low input lag and good viewing angles. Under $1000 and IPS preferred. Any suggestions?
post #9393 of 9396 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I'm very unhappily and reluctantly looking at LEDs coming from being a plasma owner. You have to understand, my MAIN viewing material is black and white classics and TV documentary television. It is very often DVD. I don't need "smart" anything, I have no interest in my television being connected, I never stream content. I'd literally like a screen with HDMI and component ports. I have HDMI devices that play video content and that is all. I also don't want to pay a fortune. Where am I going to get black levels like plasma and how much is it going to cost me and who makes the ones I should look at?

1. Budget - less than 500 Canadian
2. Seating distance - roughly 2-3m (8ft)
3. Size/placement limitations - It'll sit on an eye level TV stand.
4. Uses and sources - Mostly 720p film and TV, some 1080p film, video games (not hardcore gaming by any means, some sports games, some adventure games)
5. Room lighting - moderately dark (a few small lamps at night) to regular interior daylight

Thank you!
post #9394 of 9396 Unread Today, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Please help me!!

1. Budget= $500 to $850

2. Seating distance 8 feet

3. 55 inches

4. Gaming (Xbox One S) and I want to get into watching 4k movies/blu rays

5. Room lighting - Very Dark, shades drawn.
post #9395 of 9396 Unread Today, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post
Please help me!!

1. Budget= $500 to $850

2. Seating distance 8 feet

3. 55 inches

4. Gaming (Xbox One S) and I want to get into watching 4k movies/blu rays

5. Room lighting - Very Dark, shades drawn.
Hey there, I have done some research into LCD's in this price range recently. At $850 max, and a generally dark room, I recommend the 55 inch Vizio M series. This TV is 4K, has full array local dimming backlighting with 64 dimming zones, which should really help with maintaining a great black level, contrasty look in the dark. It is capable of processing both Dolby Vision and HDR10 signals from Ultra 4K HD bluray discs and streaming from Netflix and others. However, the HDR capabilities of this TV are not good, as it doesn't get bright enough to reproduce HDR. If you do want to future proof with a HDR capable TV, the budget will likely need to increase.

My last check Best Buy had the 55M-D0 Vizio on sale for $800.

Hope that helps

Yup, I got stuff...
Panasonic 60ZT60
Pioneer Elite SC-87, Oppo BDP-103D, PSB Synchrony two mains, center and surrounds.
XBox One
post #9396 of 9396 Unread Today, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJayDub View Post
Hey there, I have done some research into LCD's in this price range recently. At $850 max, and a generally dark room, I recommend the 55 inch Vizio M series. This TV is 4K, has full array local dimming backlighting with 64 dimming zones, which should really help with maintaining a great black level, contrasty look in the dark. It is capable of processing both Dolby Vision and HDR10 signals from Ultra 4K HD bluray discs and streaming from Netflix and others. However, the HDR capabilities of this TV are not good, as it doesn't get bright enough to reproduce HDR. If you do want to future proof with a HDR capable TV, the budget will likely need to increase.

My last check Best Buy had the 55M-D0 Vizio on sale for $800.

Hope that helps
It does, and I thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread