the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 315 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 192Likes

Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those not sure whether to buy a tv with HDR10 or Dolby Vision, or both, the article below is excellent. Sorry if someone already posted this link.

http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-visio...tv-format-war/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So there seems to be a lot of love for the OLEDs here. Between the OLED 65 inches or the soon to be released SONY Z series at 75 inches, what would be the better option for a small room with a 9 feet viewing distance and little natural light (although I generally leave some light on from overhead as opposed to watching in darkness). I can't decide if the extra 10 inches would be important given viewing distance and/or if the OLED is so great that it is the best option. Please help. I will not have any weird viewing angles and will be sitting on a couch directly in front of the TV
Old 09-10-2016, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I am going to be in a small room with 9.5 x 14 dimensions-- TV will be approximately 8.5 feet from the seating area (assuming couch will take up a foot or so). Not a lot of natural light from outside but I generally will have soft lighting from the overhead lights. Will use TV primarily for movies- a combination of Blu Rays, Netflix and ITunes. And viewing is primarily at night. What would be the absolute best option (if price is no object) and equally importantly what size? I went to Best Buy today and 65 seemed to small but 75 seemed too big. Help!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is a VA panel LCD TV fine for this situation - TV high from the floor

So, I have to get a 65 inch screen for an area where the TV will sit at a higher vertical height. Bottom of TV will be around 60 inches from the ground (which would make the TOP at around 90 inches). My horizontal viewing distance to the TV will be around 13 feet. Reading online it seems that the VA panel LCDs suffer from bad viewing angles which I think will be a problem in my case(vertical angles). How much of an issue will it be for me given the numbers above if I get the SAMSUNG 8/9 series or the Sony 930D.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright guys. Quick question.

I sit about 8 feet from my television, but a lot of times I am on my computer chair sitting like 4 feet away from it.

Do I get the 55 inch LG OLED, or do I go for the 65 inch Sony 930D? basically I am wondering if the increased screen size would benefit me more then the jump from LED to OLED.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:39 PM

Liked: 4
Vizio p55 or Samsung ks8000? I've read that my cable will look bad with the Vizio, but with the Samsung, no Dolby Vision. (Use Vudu a lot.) Can't decide. Want a decent upscaler with uhd on Vudu.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between these (2) Sony 60" LED sets? I can't find anything...

KDL-60W610
KDL-60W630B/2

Walmart has the 610 marked down in my area to $678.00 and BB/Amazon have the 630B/2 for $729.xx. If they're basically the same set with the same specs... any reason why I should go for the 610 and save ~$50.00???

Sorry if this isn't the proper thread to ask... but it is a 'help me decide'!

Thanks a lot for any input on this. Planning to pick one up this weekend to replace a 65" Sammy (J6200) that I do not care for... just has a crummy picture quality. I guess I'm used to Sony's!

Gregg
Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmackFan View Post
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between these (2) Sony 60" LED sets? I can't find anything...

KDL-60W610
KDL-60W630B/2

Walmart has the 610 marked down in my area to $678.00 and BB/Amazon have the 630B/2 for $729.xx. If they're basically the same set with the same specs... any reason why I should go for the 610 and save ~$50.00???

Sorry if this isn't the proper thread to ask... but it is a 'help me decide'!

Thanks a lot for any input on this. Planning to pick one up this weekend to replace a 65" Sammy (J6200) that I do not care for... just has a crummy picture quality. I guess I'm used to Sony's!

Gregg
Interesting. I am in a dilemma whether to buy 60" J6200 or 55" KU6300. Could you explain what's wrong with your J6200 ?

I also heard good things about KDL-60W630B/2 but also read from the AVSForums that both of those models have vertical banding issue to a large extent. But it might not be a BIG upgrade over J6200 AFAIK.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:30 PM

Help me with my first living room TV

With a budget of <$800, currently battling between

Samsung KU6300 - 55"
Samsung J6200 - 60"
KDL60W630B - 60"

Discarded a couple of highly rated Vizio ones as I am concerned about their reliability. I could see from KDL60W630B ownership threads that it has vertical banding issue. Any help appreciated.

-JK
Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikus View Post
Interesting. I am in a dilemma whether to buy 60" J6200 or 55" KU6300. Could you explain what's wrong with your J6200 ?

I also heard good things about KDL-60W630B/2 but also read from the AVSForums that both of those models have vertical banding issue to a large extent. But it might not be a BIG upgrade over J6200 AFAIK.

Just my 2 cents.
Pardon me for the wrong information. It seems the original KDL60W630B had banding issues; not sure about KDL60W630B/2
Old 09-15-2016, 05:46 AM

If possible, can you point me to the info you found on the banding issues with the W630B? I'd like to read up on that. I would think Sony "would have" rectified that issue. I know LGs are known for that (just got rid of a 60LS5750 that I thought I fixed with a T-con board... but it came back!)... but I thought the Sony's were rock solid, like they've always been for me. The Samsung J6200 I have just isn't great (IMHO) when it comes to picture quality. With that said, I've only watched 'Jurassic World' on Blu-ray... and that looked great. Sports telecasts (i.e. NFL games) don't look great. I know that may not be the TV... but they've always looked great on my Sony's. FYI, I had a 52V4100 that I sold before getting the Sammy, and that thing was awesome. Not one single issue in the 9 years I had it... and it was 'on' a lot.

Also, the Sammy only has (2) HDMI inputs, and they're 'rear' (not side)... which makes them hard to get at since it's wall mounted. I can't use my USB for movies, since I can't access that port either! Frustrating.

Third, the audio on the J6200 is absolutely terrible. I know most flat panels now don't have great sound... and that's what sound bars and HT setups are for, but this is our living room TV and I don't have a HT setup in there... that's in my basement, with my soon to arrive 65XBR750D. The LG (60LS5750) I had, had AWESOME sound through it's own speakers... it was crystal clear. Too bad LG has a TON of panel failures. It had awesome black levels as well.

Anyways, now I am hesitant about getting a Sony W630B. From the reviews I read on Amazon (and there are a lot), no ones mentioned the vertical banding issue. Any further info would be appreciated from anyone...

Thanks and take care,

Gregg
noshank likes this.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I don't know where to post this , I cannot post it on the respective threads because those are understandably filled with fans of the respective TVs , which one would you choose between the sony KD-55XD8505 ( X930D in USA ) and the Samsung UE55KS7000 (UN55KS8000 )

? Keep in mind that right they only have a 50 euros price difference here in Germany .

My two to go review websites for TVs are both CNET and rtings and they both chose of of the two , not the same one

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6P mit Tapatalk

Last edited by chadpetree; 09-15-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadpetree View Post
I don't know where to post this , I cannot post it on the respective threads because those are understandably filled with fans of the respective TVs , which one would you choose between the sony KD-55XD8505 ( X930D in USA ) and the Samsung UE55KS7000 (UN55KS8000 )

? Keep in mind that right they only have a 50 euros price difference here in Germany .

My two to go review websites for TVs are both CNET and rtings and they both chose of of the two , not the same one

Similar sets... I'd base it on your viewing preferences and environment. If you do most of your viewing in a bright environment, I'd get the samsung... otherwise, the sony. The samsung has better native contrast and slightly better anti-reflection treatment and the sony has better local dimming. IMHO, Sony does a much better job of local dimming implementation, so if you plan on using that feature, make sure you are OK with the moderate blooming on the samsung before buying. Caveat... I've seen neither of these sets in-home... just darkened sales rooms.
chadpetree likes this.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Larger replacement for 55LHX

Looking for options on replacing my LG 55LHX. I'm more critical in dark-room viewing and willing to accept compromises in bright room. Having said that, the 55LHX the new set will be replacing has a pretty good FALD implementation with a high number of zones (240) for a 55" set. I do not want to sacrifice on low-light performance to go UHD & up in size, but also do not want to spend >$5K... would prefer to spend a lot less! Anyway, been looking at the Sony 75X950D, the Vizio 75" P-series, and the LG 65B6 OLED. Would really like a 75" set, but do not want to sacrifice low-light performance and that Sony is getting pricey. The Samsungs I've seen at 75" (albeit only in a Magnolia showroom) bleed bright objects into the letterbox bars pretty badly... any particular Samsung displays I should look at that are <$5k at >70"? Any other issues I should consider? Bright room, but most viewing at night and my 55LHX is bright enough, so anything out today will be as well.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmackFan View Post
If possible, can you point me to the info you found on the banding issues with the W630B? I'd like to read up on that. I would think Sony "would have" rectified that issue. I know LGs are known for that (just got rid of a 60LS5750 that I thought I fixed with a T-con board... but it came back!)... but I thought the Sony's were rock solid, like they've always been for me. The Samsung J6200 I have just isn't great (IMHO) when it comes to picture quality. With that said, I've only watched 'Jurassic World' on Blu-ray... and that looked great. Sports telecasts (i.e. NFL games) don't look great. I know that may not be the TV... but they've always looked great on my Sony's. FYI, I had a 52V4100 that I sold before getting the Sammy, and that thing was awesome. Not one single issue in the 9 years I had it... and it was 'on' a lot.

Also, the Sammy only has (2) HDMI inputs, and they're 'rear' (not side)... which makes them hard to get at since it's wall mounted. I can't use my USB for movies, since I can't access that port either! Frustrating.

Third, the audio on the J6200 is absolutely terrible. I know most flat panels now don't have great sound... and that's what sound bars and HT setups are for, but this is our living room TV and I don't have a HT setup in there... that's in my basement, with my soon to arrive 65XBR750D. The LG (60LS5750) I had, had AWESOME sound through it's own speakers... it was crystal clear. Too bad LG has a TON of panel failures. It had awesome black levels as well.

Anyways, now I am hesitant about getting a Sony W630B. From the reviews I read on Amazon (and there are a lot), no ones mentioned the vertical banding issue. Any further info would be appreciated from anyone...

Thanks and take care,

Gregg
Thanks for your inputs regarding J6200 Gregg. I read about the banding issues in the ownership thread.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:18 AM

Could not post the link due to a post limit restriction Gregg. Here you go - - Sony W630B Opinions
Old 09-15-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post
Similar sets... I'd base it on your viewing preferences and environment. If you do most of your viewing in a bright environment, I'd get the samsung... otherwise, the sony. The samsung has better native contrast and slightly better anti-reflection treatment and the sony has better local dimming. IMHO, Sony does a much better job of local dimming implementation, so if you plan on using that feature, make sure you are OK with the moderate blooming on the samsung before buying. Caveat... I've seen neither of these sets in-home... just darkened sales rooms.
I'll have the TV on my room , I don't a living room since I'm sharing a flat with two guys , my room is quite dark I close the lids and you can barely see anything if you turn the lights off .

So let me get this straight , if I turn off the local dimming off then the Samsung has better contrast , but why would I want to do that is their implementation so bad ? How about Samsung with local dimming off vs Sony's local dimming on , which one would be the winner ? Decisions decisions I'd just wish that lg Lord's b6 wasn't 3300 euros so I could just make the decision right away haha :'(

Old 09-15-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LCD Decision

I'm in the market for a TV to be used at a cabin. It needs to be 40-45" and will be placed in a corner. Budget is anything up to $800. I'm mostly concerned about picture quality. Other considerations are decent built-in speakers, good viewing angles, and a screen that isn't overly reflective. I'm not too concerned about 4K on a TV that size, so that's not something that will influence my decision either way.

Which models should I be looking at?

Thanks all!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikus View Post
Could not post the link due to a post limit restriction Gregg. Here you go - - Sony W630B Opinions

Thanks Karthikus. This makes me leery of the W630, despite the solid reputation Sony has. Hmmm...

Anyone know of any 'issues' with the W610 model? I read it's the same panel inside..

FWIW, I don't think the vertical banding is that huge of a deal... but I don't watch hockey with an all white screen either.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
my budget is $2000 i don't really wanna go over that
i'll mostly be using it for 4K blu rays
with my work schedule i'll also mostly be watching at night in a dark room
i still want cable tv to look nice
65 inch screen is what i'm aiming for
i've had my eyes set on the ks8500 especially since it's $100 cheaper than the vizio p65 right now, but the curve is awesome.
i just don't wanna spend that much to be told i could've gotten a better looking tv
Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I am still debating should i go with perfect video quality vs size.
I do not want to exceed 3000 bucks. If its vizio 80" i can add another four or five hundred bucks.

Sony 75" 4K XBR75X850D = sale price $ 2998.00
Samsung 75" 4K UN75JU6500 = sale price $ 2498.00

vs the

80" 4K Vizio

My primary usage with the tv is mainly with my HTPC/computer.
80% we are on netflix, xbmc, surfing, youtube. with a sitting area to type using a wireless keyboard by about 10-15 feet.

Last edited by holyindian; 09-16-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 AM

Question

1. Budget - $800 or less
2. Seating distance - 6'. 2-3 people directly in front. Sometimes additional people off to the sides, but rarely.
3. Size/placement limitations IKEA shelving 47" wide surrounded by two tower speaker (could potentially sell)

4. Uses and sources - Xfinity X1 Cable; Playstation 3 (for Blu Ray and gaming); Amazon Fire TV 4K (for streaming Netflix, Hulu and Plex); SteamLink (for streaming 1080p gaming from desktop). Infrequently using a Nintendo Wii with component but have HDMI adapter for it.
Audio goes out of older Pioneer receiver currently through an optical audio return channel for all HDMI inputs.
5. Room lighting - Sliding glass door approximately 10' to the right of the screen covered by thick curtain southwestern exposure.
Recessed LED dimmable lighting. No other light sources.
Front door with sheer curtain approximately 10' to the left of screen.
Regular sized window approximately 6' to the left of screen on same wall as TV. Shades normally drawn and only looks out to house one car width away (no sun)
Most of the time we watch TV with the lights on or during the day with the door curtain open. At night we tend to draw the curtains and dim or turn off the lights depending on the movie.

Currently have a Panasonic TC-P42S2 that has begun developing a color band just to the right of center (image above is an anti-retention wipe and not the problem)

Looking at the 50"ish side of things (48-50). Most 55s are too wide for my shelving unit without hanging off the end or hitting the speakers.

I've been looking at rtings and compiling data
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I'm torn between the Vizio M50s (2015 and 2016) the Sony X800D and X700D. Movies seem to be significantly better rated on the Vizios as does post calibrated colors, blacks, contrast. The one major upsell with the X800D is Wide Color Gamut for HDR. I haven't seen any in person yet. The M50-D1 seems like the best bang for the buck and the C1 seems like a better deal if I don't care about HDR.

My big concern is: should I care about HDR? Is a wide color gamut better than superior blacks and contrast?

I've noticed you guys seem to be pretty hard on the X700D and X800D. A friend of mine also returned one and went OLED (but he's made of money and I'm not)

I'd asked Rtings directly and they responded here:
https://www.facebook.com/rtingscom/p...07448709331703

What do you guys think?
Old 09-19-2016, 12:02 PM

Anything less than $800

Hello, I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm looking to buy the best tv available right now to last at least 5 years. I'm looking to spend no more than $800. I won a gift card to Bestbuy so the tv has to be available there. The tv will sit approximately 3ft up on an entertainment center placed in the corner of our bedroom and can only fit a maximum size of 50in. Our bed is approximately 6ft from the tv. We'll be watching tv while it is dark or we have blackout curtains that keeps the room pretty dark. The tv will be used primarily through streaming on a roku or apple tv and I may add an antenna for local channels. We primarily stream movies, sports games or shows.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:49 AM

Hi
Don't know if it's a right place to look for info but...
I'm starting to look for replacement for my old PC display (EIZO) and I have some requirements that are really hard to fulfill.
I mostly play games and read internet but quite often I work with code and images.
What I want is panel that:
- is at least true 8bit but it would be awesome if 10bit
- has native 1440p resolution
- is more then 120Hz
- is somewhere between 25" and 28"
- is not TN
- has G-Sync
- has good color accuracy
- has matte coating
- has at least height adjustment
- can't cost more then $750, preferably around $550

What I don't care for are some gadgets like USB hubs or speakers.
I'm from Poland so it has to be available in EU market.

Is there a LCD that meets those requirements? It doesn't have to be sold at the moment because like I said - this is just research that will probably be finished in few months (EIZO took me 4 months to find and buy ).

Last LCD that looks promising is XG2703-GS from ViewSonic.

PS I'd like to have some OLED display but Dell costs so much...

Last edited by Draghmar; 09-21-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM

How To Determine The Right Size 4K UHD TV!

Hi everyone,

I am shopping to replace my Toshiba 46" LCD Full 1080p TV that is purchased around November 2007! I was going to buy a 75" Samsung UN75JU641DFXZA at Costco and have it wall mounted. My wall is roughly 10 wide before the window on the left side and then after the window is the fireplace which is located in the corner.

I went to a few places to shop for TVs and one of the sales guy told me that it to big for my space and I should be looking at the 65" models.

I ask you, what should I buy as a replacement?

My decision:

I tape the horizontal length of 58" and 70" and went and sat in my sofia and just looked at the surrounding and the front of the wall for about 1/2 hour and then went back to shopping and then came back to the entertainment room today to spend time just sat in front of the TV off but with the tape dimensions and decided to just keep it on my existing cabinet setup and go with the 65" TV size. The 65" is very big! 75" is huge!

Now I have to decide on the UHD TV to buy!

Last edited by HarryWild; 09-24-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:07 AM

Hello everyone I don't know if I'm posting this in correct thread.. so first I'm from Europe I cant order from amazon sadly (or can buy long delivery + 20% taxes are not worth it) I'm buying my first TV(lol) my budget is somewhere 300-400 euro and I found this model ( I have also zero knowledge about panel types .. well I know IPS have better colors , TN is more preferable for gaming and VA is smh balanced? don't judge me here)
Mostly what I'm planning to do on this tv is watch MKV stuff with subtitles that's all,no gaming.
Panasonic VIERA TX-40DS400E - Can someone give here their opinion ? I cant find any reviews about this model
Old 09-23-2016, 07:03 AM

IPS vs IPS: LG 55UH8500 or Vizio P55-C1?

Most reviews of the Vizio feature the other sizes with VA panels and only offer passing remarks about how the 55" has an IPS panel (and thus better viewing angles and a lower contrast ratio), so I’m finding it tough to compare them fairly. I’ve tried taking some demo content into Best Buy on a USB stick, but the Vizio won’t cooperate even when they let me plug it in because the tablet remote is sealed in a Lexan case and the basic remote can’t select USB sources.

Usage: Mixed TV and movies, but mostly daytime viewing of TV and Netflix. It’ll be my family room/home theater screen (dim-but-not-“dark” light control during the day) for about 6 months while I save for a higher-end 75”, then will be moved to my window-filled sun room/home office and mounted high on a wall and tilted down. It’ll still get some nighttime use after that (especially during the winter when it’s dark out at 5pm), but only for casual viewing or for when I want to watch 3D if I get the LG (assuming my main panel doesn’t have 3D or I don’t have enough active 3D glasses for the audience).

Sources: 70% SageTV HD300 (extender box for my SageTV server: mostly 1080 content from FiOS), 25% Netflix via built-in app, and 5% blu-ray/DVDs via HDMI (Zone 2 output from Marantz receiver that powers family room home theater once I move it).

History: I’m replacing a 2011 Samsung 40” LED (UN40D6400UF), which I’ve been thrilled with for the last 5 years. It’s 1080p, edge-lit with no local dimming (I can’t find any real numbers about brightness or contrast, but brightness is satisfactory and blacks are excellent from straight on unless the room is pitch black), 120Hz, and so-so active 3D.

LG Pros:
WebOS with the magic remote
Passive 3D

Vizio Pros:
FALD with 126 zones
Better brightness in both partial and full windows

LG Cons:
Edge-lit with “really poor” dimming performance according to rtings.
Lower brightness

Vizio Cons:
“Smart” tablet remote
No 3D
Quality control (frequent reports of banding issues)

Overall I’m getting the impression that the Vizio will have a superior picture, but I’m not sure it’ll be noticeably better during the day or a big enough difference to outweigh the LG’s advantages. Any thoughts? Do any of you have experience with both models? Should I just go with whichever one I can get a better deal on?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:49 AM

A clarification for mobile users since I'm not able to edit my post above: it looks like my post title isn't showing up on Tapatalk, so the specific models I'm comparing are the LG 55UH8500 and the Vizio P55-C1 (both feature IPS panels).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShawn View Post
Most reviews of the Vizio feature the other sizes with VA panels and only offer passing remarks about how the 55" has an IPS panel (and thus better viewing angles and a lower contrast ratio), so I’m finding it tough to compare them fairly. I’ve tried taking some demo content into Best Buy on a USB stick, but the Vizio won’t cooperate even when they let me plug it in because the tablet remote is sealed in a Lexan case and the basic remote can’t select USB sources.....
Old Today, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had previously purchased the Vizio M65-D0, but just could never get satisfied with the picture and get it fine tuned to my liking. I’m seriously looking at the Samsung UN65KU6300 because it fits well within my budget. My wife and I currently own a 7 year old 55″ Samsung LCD; to be honest, we would basically like to move to a 65″ because of the larger screen. However, on a few forums I’ve looked at, a number of people seem to have a low opinion of the KU6300 series and point out more of what it can’t or doesn’t do, as opposed to what it DOES do well. I don’t have $2000.00 to spend on the KS8000 series, but I want to make sure what I DO have is spent wisely. For the “average” person, who isn’t heavily into HDR and such and wants to move into UHD, is a 65KU6300 a good investment, or AM I better off waiting longer and saving up in order to move into another level? I don’t need (or want) the “Mercedes” level UHD, which costs an arm and a leg, but I want to make sure what I DO invest in provides quality, satisfying video. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects