the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 192Likes

post #9451 of 9456 Old 09-28-2016, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well doesn't look like this thread is getting too much love for "what TV should I buy", but I guess I'll start off here first and hopefully get some good feedback.

I'm in a temporary living situation (1-2 years max) and my 32" 720p just isn't cutting it in the space. I also don't have a setup conducive to mounting my projector, so my stop-gap solution is a (cheaper) larger TV that will eventually be resigned to a bedroom or kids room in 2-4 years one we have moved and can invest a bit more in a nicer setup.

Main question is:
What is the best $300-500 TV I can get in the 50-55" range.

Some main questions now are:
* Should I even be looking at 4K sets? While I realize 4K is backwards compatible to 1080, I think I might be able to get a pure 1080 with better colors/contrast/etc then a low end 4K that doesn't have them. Ofc, it is getting harder to find non 4K sets.

* If I go for a 4K, HDR isn't in my budget and I'm not sure how much I'll kick myself for not getting an HDR? (then again this is being considered a budget buy, and I realize I can't have everything)

* I already have a Roku/HTPC source, so not sure if a "Smart" TV is worth the extra $$. However, if I go with a 4K TV, having the streaming integrated means I can access 4K sources without going through my receiver, etc. Thoughts?

* Should I opt for a smaller 43-50" over the 55" to save on cost? I'm thinking we want as large as possible based on our viewing distance.

* Should I even worry about 120HZ+, or save money (more details on my thoughts below)

This all being said, I would like to buy something that will continue to get good use in a few years. In all likelihood I don't want to pay to upgrade my receiver/HTPC and other components for at least another 2 years.

1. Budget
- I would really like to stay below $500, and the lower the better.

2. Seating distance
- The back of the couch(es) to the front of the entertainment system is between 10-11'

3. Size/placement limitations
- I can't mount on the walls here, but I was left a very nice "old school" entertainment system cabinet with a space for a TV that should accomodate most modern 55" displays. The opening is just shy of 32x50" but there is an overhang bezel which I have accounted for. So, technically I can probably squeeze at least another half inch by having the TV bezel behind the overhang.

4. Uses and sources
- All TV/Movie viewing. We almost primarily use Roku and an HTPC media source where I store my ripped DVD/Bluray collection and some downloaded TV.
As mentioned above, I don't really plan on upgrading my other media components for at least a couple of years, so I'm not really sure what advantage I will gain from 4K.
Additionally, my wife and I both hate the "soap opera" effect of refresh above the standard 60Hz, and we rarely watch live events or sports. That being said, I'm thinking in the future it might be worth having it.

5. Room lighting
- Room is family room so it is well lit and cannot be blacked out (or even close to it) in the daytime.

Additional Information:
Reciever - Onkyo TX-NR809
HTPC - AMD Radeon HD 6550D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 9456 Old Today, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face Samsung UN50KU

I broke my plasma TV and I am looking at repair vs replacement. I'm moving in a few months and I have not had good luck transporting plasma TV's. Costco has this UN50KU630DFXZA for $620. I don't really want the 4K but it seems like it's the only option. It's OK for my viewing distance and room brightness. Anyway is this a decent TV?
post #9453 of 9456 Old Today, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_958 View Post
I broke my plasma TV and I am looking at repair vs replacement. I'm moving in a few months and I have not had good luck transporting plasma TV's. Costco has this UN50KU630DFXZA for $620. I don't really want the 4K but it seems like it's the only option. It's OK for my viewing distance and room brightness. Anyway is this a decent TV?
It's the Costco version of the N50KU6300 available for $597.99 on Amazon. Look at the link below for a review of it.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
post #9454 of 9456 Old Today, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Okay, trying to choose between these two:

Samsung UN65KU7000FXZA

LG 65UH7700

They seem pretty close in quality. I realize the LG is a "SuperUHD", but I've had great luck with Samsung LCD's previously. Any insight or opinions?
post #9455 of 9456 Old Today, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ18370 View Post
Okay, trying to choose between these two:

Samsung UN65KU7000FXZA

LG 65UH7700

They seem pretty close in quality. I realize the LG is a "SuperUHD", but I've had great luck with Samsung LCD's previously. Any insight or opinions?
Both are SUHD or 4K resolution sets and both are below average overall. The Samsung has a VA panel and thus deeper black levels, the LG has an IPS panel and thus weaker black levels but much better off-angle viewing. Some flaws in the Samsung are judder at 24p common for Blu-ray movies, a 60 Hz native refresh rate, and it is not bright enough for good HDR performance. The LG does not have judder at 24p, is a native 120 Hz panel, but does not look good in a dark room due to the weak blacks, and it is also not bright enough for good HDR performance. The Samsung is better for gaming with low input lag and better gaming HDR performance.
post #9456 of 9456 Old Today, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Can anybody offer some quick help on this one ?

I need a tv around 50" to monitor a mixture of 4K and 1080p security cameras through a 4K nvr .
It will also be used as a monitor on a Mac Pro running music recording software .

It will not be used for gaming or watching tv/movies or anything else .

Viewing will be around 2 feet from the screen when at the desk , and upto 6 feet away in the room .

I'm looking to spend as little as possible and set a preliminary budget of $500 , but didn't get much time to do much research .

I can get a great deal from my local bestbuy on the "nearly 4K" lg 5500 , $400 .
Or for 50 more I can pick up a new Samsung ju6300 on Craigslist .

With sales tax at bestbuy they come out the same , but obviously no aftercare on the Samsung !!

Which should I go for ?
Anything else I should be looking at in this price range ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page