the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 325 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 253Likes

post #9721 of 10290 Old 11-16-2016, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFire View Post
Can't comment on relative quality, but 75JU7100 avail right now for $1850, not 2600, via Samsung EPP. See https://slickdeals.net/f/9324643-sam...early-tv-deals
Yah, but what if you don't have EPP?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 10290 Old 11-17-2016, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 271
The finalists by price:
Quote:
LG 49UH610A
$389.99 Black Friday from Nov. 18-28th at Costco and Costco.com with free shipping: http://www.costco.com/LG-49%22-Class...100301368.html
panel: IPS
review: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh6100
strengths: Direct backlight; Picture quality remains when viewed at an angle; Smart platform is featured and intuitive; Upscaling of low quality content is good
weaknesses: Uses less accurate RGBW pixel structure; Uniformity is below average; Blacks appear gray in dark rooms; This is one of the worst TVs we have tested for the black uniformity yet in 2016
For the price I cannot beat this deal. It looks like a winner, and I do not have to stand in line for days. I am a little concerned about its black level though.
Quote:
Panasonic TC-50CX400U $469.99 at WalMart online with free shipping: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic...-HDTV/50688460
panel: VA
review: http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...-led-tv-review
strengths: direct backlight, deep contrast, and fantastic color accuracy
weaknesses: The only weird thing is that this TV is a little too bright for a very dark room, and since there's no way to adjust the backlight, it isn't the best choice for theater-style viewing.
So it has great contrast but in a dark room where that helps, the fixed backlight is too bright? Seems that negates the usefulness of that good contrast ratio.

This is the one that seems like the best overall given his tendency to prefer torch mode anyway, and the price is good, but I am a little concerned about Panasonic's reliability and service given their TV business seems to be winding down.

The peak white level in the contrast measurement by Reviewed.com is 209.8 and the reviewer complained that he could not calibrate the luminosity because the backlight is not adjustable. The RTNGS review shows the peak white level nearer 100 in the RTNGS contrast measurements. I wonder if the 'deep contrast' reported for this Panasonic is real, or just an artifact of its hard-wired torch mode backlight.

Quote:
LG 50UH5500
NewEgg $529.99 with free S&H, good until Monday, at least for me: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-50UH5500-4k-uhd-tv
review: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh5500
strengths: Direct backlight; Good picture quality; Screen finish helps to reduce reflections
weaknesses: Can't get very bright; High input lag; no return policy
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
The 49UH610A is the Costco version of the 49UH6100 that uses a less accurate RGBW pixel structure in an IPS panel which can't produce the same level of fine detail as other 4K TVs. The only advantage is has over the LG UH5500 is a wider viewing angle.
Dave, are you sure about this comparison? The review of the LG UH5500 said the picture was dim. Is that just a relative quality of VA compared to IPS, or does UH5500 have some sort of design flaw? A dim TV with high input lag that we cannot return is a non-starter.
This VA:
Peak 2% Window: 294 cd/m2
Sustained 100% Window: 294 cd/m2

compared to the other LG with IPS:
Peak 2% Window: 404 cd/m2
Sustained 100% Window: 398 cd/m2
That is a 25% difference in measurement. Seems yuuuuge. One of the prime attractions of the 4K televisions is the pop of the brightness IMO.

I found one last contender -
Quote:
Samsung UN50KU6300FXZA
Best Buy $572.99 Black Friday sale local pickup: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...?skuId=5113200
review: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
strengths: Direct lighting; HDR; Great blacks and contrast ratio; Low input lag
weaknesses: Average gray uniformity; Judder on 24p regardless of playback mode; Reflects more lights than even the cheaper Samsung TVs from last year
Dave, Does this Samsung really do HDR?
Peak 2% Window: 425 cd/m2
Sustained 100% Window: 430 cd/m2
That is only ~7% higher brightness measurement than the LG IPS panel at the top of my list. They still get 24fps wrong? Any TV with notably bad glare seems like something we want to avoid.

The whole point of going with 4K was my assumption that the newer panel technology is inherently superior, based on the brighter and sharper appearance of the UHD televisions in the stores. Also, I was wanting to avoid TV from an obsolete HD product line that might not be maintained by the manufacturer. Did I get this assumption wrong?

Candidate 1: faked UHD, bad blacks.
Candidate 2: no backlight adjustment, too bright for theater viewing, maybe faked contrast.
Candidate 3: poor brightness.
Candidate 4: maybe fake HDR, high glare, judder at 24fps regardless of selected playback mode.

If the only advantage of 4K in a 50" is the higher resolution at close distance for computer monitor/gaming, then the LG IPS (cadidate 1) is the only panel that makes sense to buy because it is the only one with viewing angle wide enough to sit close, and its 'fake 4K' compromises the resolution even at close distance anyway plus its contrast is poor. But at least it will have a bright picture in a daylit room and the picture will still look OK from just about any vantage point in the room.

Lacking a comparable review spec on the Panasonic, it is difficult to compare its brightness to the other three, but without a backlight adjustment that information seems moot anyway.

Tough choice. Should I start over my shopping with HD? Given the compromised performance of all these models I am tempted to just pay as little as possible or junk the whole UHD concept in this price range.

Last edited by CherylJosie; 11-17-2016 at 01:04 AM. Reason: removed a 'not' double negative
post #9723 of 10290 Old 11-17-2016, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post
Tough choice. Should I start over my shopping with HD? Given the compromised performance of all these models I am tempted to just pay as little as possible or junk the whole UHD concept in this price range.
You've turned yourself into a classic "paralysis by over-analysis" victim. You are already at the low end at $500 for a 50" set. My advice for you would be, forget the specs you're quoting and go look at whatever is available in a local store and pick one.

post #9724 of 10290 Old 11-17-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFire View Post
Can't comment on relative quality, but 75JU7100 avail right now for $1850, not 2600, via Samsung EPP. See rl]
Yeah, no EPP. Good price, but I also have an 1800 dollar bb gift card.
post #9725 of 10290 Old 11-17-2016, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
First time poster so please excuse any clumsy mistakes with my post. Been trying very hard to decide on a new 4K tv for months now. Done loads of research and owned three 4K tvs already. All of them went back for good reasons but I still want to find the right set this year so trying to grab a wicked deal on Black Friday. The things that are most important to me are:

-Motion (especially no judder on multiple sources, low blur, easy on eye strain)
-Input Lag (mostly console gaming, HDR gaming on PS4 pro)
-Upscaling (watch lots of internet video and downloaded sub 1080p video files, Netflix, Bluray, maybe Rogers cable eventually)
-Clear voices on audio

I've owned the Sony 55x810c, the Sony 55x850d and the Samsung 55ks8000. They were all nice tvs, especially the ks8000 but there were things I just couldn't live with at the prices I payed. The x810c had noticeable flashlighting and a faint green tint strip along one side of the screen I could see in certain content, very glitchy menus/remote. The x850d had a faint splotch I could see on whitish/grey scenes, the IPS greyish blacks bothered me a little bit, kinda glitchy menus/remote. The ks8000 was a little hard on the eyes, had a strip of light bleed which lightened colours on the bottom especially noticeable on panning or night scenes, motion wasn't horrible but also not great and overall noticeably worse than the x850d.

Here is a list of the TVs I'm looking at with pre Black Friday Canadian prices for reference

Vizio P55 $1800
x930d $2500
ks9000 $2500 (only $200 more than ks8000 atm)
OLED B6 $3000

The Vizio has high HDR input lag and might have problems with HDR gaming in general unless a patch comes along soon, could have IPS greyish blacks issue on 55 inch version, crappy upscaling of sub 1080p, casting remote makes me nervous.

The Sony would be perfect for me in almost every way but the nearly 60ms HDR gaming input lag which rtings.com measured after the recent update might be a deal breaker.

The Samsung is attractive since I liked the ks8000 so much and the input lag can't be beat but I'm worried about the motion. Does the Supreme Motion of the higher end 9000 make any difference for blur or eye strain? On tvevaluate.com they said
''The difference between MR (Motion Rate) 240, which the KS8000 has, and Supreme MR 240, found on the KS9000, is that the latter is specifically designed to reduce image flicker when scanning backlight is used. This technique ensures a smoother perceived motion but it also may introduce visible flickering. This is where the Supreme MR 240 has an advantage over the regular MR 240."
I watched a clip on the ks8500 next to a ks9000 playing the same thing at Best Buy and I swear it was a bit smoother on the 9000 but more importantly it seemed to stress my eyes less. Subtle difference though so hard to tell for sure without further comparison.

Finally we have the OLED B6 which initially seemed like a no brainer for $500 more but with judder on some sources, micro stutter issue, no 3D for this price as C6 isn't available here, weird variable HDR input lag cycling 38ms-55ms and non HDR lag at 44ms OLED may not be the holy grail of TV technology that so many make it out to be.

Usually sit under 10 feet away, watch daytime with sunlight from a window and night time with a light on.

Hope you folks can help.
post #9726 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've posted 'recommended large tv' on another thread, apologized didn't see it was already created

Budget: $4k +/-500
Room: 18'x24'
View distance: 10-12'
Lighting: natural light day, dim night
Inputs: roku, blu-ray
Media: mainly streaming, video music, movies

I've narrowed down to 3 models after visiting BB, but the units aren't calibrated. I will visit their magnolia store tomorrow.

Sony xbr75x940d $4300
Samsung un75ks9000fxza $5500
Vizio P75-C1 $3600

I've believe the sony is the best bang for dollars atm, as other forum members mentioned. What you guys think?
post #9727 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You've turned yourself into a classic "paralysis by over-analysis" victim. You are already at the low end at $500 for a 50" set. My advice for you would be, forget the specs you're quoting and go look at whatever is available in a local store and pick one.
Sounds about right. After checking reviews on several HD televisions and seeing they all have at least 25% less brightness than the Samsung and LG VA panels, I gave up on that idea. Turns out I was right about them being dimmer, but some of the UHD panels in my price range are also dim.

We went to local Fry's last night and got to see the Samsung and LG VA panels plus the LG IPS RGBW panel. Fry's agreed to price match NewEgg on the LG 5500 and hinted that surprise sales are coming for Black Friday that even the staff on the sales floor have no knowledge of. The quantum dot displays blew us away. If only...

I advised him to get the Samsung VA because it is the brightest panel of the available options, it has good black level/contrast/uniformity, plus that TV has gaming mode and 5.1 passthrough via either ARC or SPDIF so he will not need a new receiver to play UHD sources.

The lack of backlight control and low light output of the Pansonic VA is a show-stopper.

The lag on the LG VA will completely destroy its utility for gaming but we both stood there wanting to get that one anyway because of the anti-glare coating and the judder-free 24fps plus he is incredibly brand-loyal to a fault.

The LG IPS RGBW panel has poor uniformity, as well as color shift and artifacts from the white pixels/processing, plus its actual advantage in viewing angle seems to be totally underwhelming per my cursory glance at it, and it is no brighter than the LG VA panel so it seems its only advantage is price.

We are going to keep looking for Black Friday sales. Hoping a 55" UHD VA that has good black level, good uniformity, good brightness, good upscaler, 24fps, anti-glare, 5.1 pass-through via ARC and SPDIF, and gaming mode with low lag comes on sale for about $550 or $600. I might be able to swing that.

If not, I am just going to buy him the Samsung at Costco and let him deal with the judder and glare as best he can. He is not giving up on the gaming, especially now that he has a new gaming PC to play with, and I am not giving up on the contrast and uniformity because I like to watch movies in a darkened room. Judder and glare seem to be the least offensive issues.

Thanks for all your advice. This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of you giving of yourself freely.
post #9728 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We are going to keep looking for Black Friday sales. Hoping a 55" UHD VA that has good black level, good uniformity, good brightness, good upscaler, 24fps, anti-glare, 5.1 pass-through via ARC and SPDIF, and gaming mode with low lag comes on sale for about $550 or $600. I might be able to swing that.

If not, I am just going to buy him the Samsung at Costco and let him deal with the judder and glare as best he can. He is not giving up on the gaming, especially now that he has a new gaming PC to play with, and I am not giving up on the contrast and uniformity because I like to watch movies in a darkened room. Judder and glare seem to be the least offensive issues.
To bad you can't go to $900 and get the SUHD, Quantum Dot VA panel Samsung UN49KS8000. I think it would really fit your needs and your discriminating eye.
post #9729 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To bad you can't go to $900 and get the SUHD, Quantum Dot VA panel Samsung UN49KS8000. I think it would really fit your needs and your discriminating eye.
We saw that one.

I know it seems strange that I put so much effort into this but we are both retired and barely subsisting. I own my ancient Tecel (fat lot of good that does me when I cannot even turn my head to look behind me and the car is caked with dust from disuse) but he is still paying for his Vue and nothing left over.

I just wanted to make sure he is happy with his new TV since he has been incredibly helpful volunteer assisting me.

As have you.
post #9730 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We saw that one.

I know it seems strange that I put so much effort into this but we are both retired and barely subsisting. I own my ancient Tecel (fat lot of good that does me when I cannot even turn my head to look behind me and the car is caked with dust from disuse) but he is still paying for his Vue and nothing left over.

I just wanted to make sure he is happy with his new TV since he has been incredibly helpful volunteer assisting me.

As have you.
As Bill Clinton used to say, "I feel your pain". Just retired last year but luckily spent my last 30 years working at a large corporation with a pension plan. so between that, social security and my not so rich 401K we get by OK.
post #9731 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As Bill Clinton used to say, "I feel your pain". Just retired last year but luckily spent my last 30 years working at a large corporation with a pension plan. so between that, social security and my not so rich 401K we get by OK.
As Hillary once said, "We have to bring them to heel." I think her concern when she said that may have been off the mark by about a billion dollars in tax deductions.

'sokay, we all get by somehow.

Let me guess, that large corporation you worked at for the last 30 years have anything to do with flat panel display technology?
post #9732 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As Hillary once said, "We have to bring them to heel." I think her concern when she said that may have been off the mark by about a billion dollars in tax deductions.

'sokay, we all get by somehow.

Let me guess, that large corporation you worked at for the last 30 years have anything to do with flat panel display technology?
Nope, computer system design, integration and deployment. Our group worked a system for the hated IRS for the last 22 years I was there. We initially designed the system in 1993, deployed it to multiple sites in 1995, then updated the scanners, servers, archive and workstations 3 times over the course of the contract, and incorporated the legislated yearly tax changes every tax season. Before that I worked on automated test stations that were installed on aircraft carriers for aircraft test and maintenance. So, no, I'm not an expert by any means on flat panel displays and still prefer my 7-year old 1080p Panasonic plasma with 25,000 hours on it. Anyway, good luck with your flat panel search.
post #9733 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Someone please help this guy (me) with OCD

I can't look at any more TV sets till I get someone to help me with my research anxiety.

We have a 73" Mitsubishi DLP right now. It's having an issue with dots all over the display. Bad DLP processor or something. Samsung won't fix it without me paying a lot so...it was purchased back in 2007 and I really don't want to put money into it.

So, I have financing through Dell. Has to come from Dell. Limit is $2500.
I have looked at the KS8000 65", JU7100 75" (2015 though?), JU6500 75", Vizio M70-D3 70", and the Sony 75X850D 75".

I'm fried. Literally! Comparing these sets over and over and reading about them here and on rtings is driving me crazy.

Room is about 16 feet long and about 12 feet wide. Kinda narrow. Lots of bright sunlight comes in from the sliding door during the day so the room is bright. We have both Xbox 360 and PS4 and currently have DirecTV with HD DVR and also an Apple TV Gen 3.

We primarily watch movies on it. Either BluRay with the PS4 or streaming from the Apple TV. Some game play. My girls mostly like to play Dance Central and Just Dance. I'd like to connect an HD Antenna down the road but willing to do it with an external tuner. I'm considering cutting the cord with DTV. Lastly, I BELIEVE I want HDR or the most bang for the buck that I can get. I plan to keep the TV for at LEAST 8 years or more.

Can someone please help me figure out which way to go? Please? Pretty please?

Thanks!

Fred
post #9734 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope, computer system design, integration and deployment. Our group worked a system for the hated IRS for the last 22 years I was there. We initially designed the system in 1993, deployed it to multiple sites in 1995, then updated the scanners, servers, archive and workstations 3 times over the course of the contract, and incorporated the legislated yearly tax changes every tax season. Before that I worked on automated test stations that were installed on aircraft carriers for aircraft test and maintenance. So, no, I'm not an expert by any means on flat panel displays and still prefer my 7-year old 1080p Panasonic plasma with 25,000 hours on it. Anyway, good luck with your flat panel search.
Ah. I used to design integrated circuits for automated IC testers and for disk drive controllers before that. Can you say, "120 hour work week?"

Chip tapeouts can be like holding a three ring circus in a dungeon, with the master of ceremonies sadistically whipping athletes off the elevated platform before the trapeze swings to them, and no safety nets underneath.

There was one tapeout where management insisted the process engineer at the ic fab vendor come in on Christmas Day to meet schedule on the prototype. Management then wasted a person-month trying to figure out why there were no transistors in the chip but of course 'schedule' was never identified as the root cause.

Another time, the fab vendor packaged blank die. Don't ask me how they did the wire bonding. There were no targets to orient the die, let alone metallization to bond to.

One automated tester proceeded all the way to working prototype and then was cancelled. It made no sense to finish the prototype but everyone agreed it was cheaper to perform to the contract than to abandon the prototype. It 'shipped in place', meaning that we finished it but never delivered it.

Probably the silliest mistake was the 1uS initial reset pulse that worked great in simulation but was too short to start the PLL in real life. Then management suddenly decided to document the block reset signals in the product spec, and specify the reset timing for all new chips, instead of just blindly launching the prototype and praying that the test engineers could read minds.

More serious problems were the cell that ate the clock waveform and the cell that ate the timing trigger. I wanted to run more simulations but was overruled by a hand-waving Ph.D with 3 years of experience. I ended up debugging both issues in the work of others and writing test vectors to screen for the first, but the second required a respin.

I was slow but thorough. Bet you didn't catch on to that.

-----

He is now muttering about buying a used television or an older model so he can have a 65" screen. I am refusing to go along with that plan. I might be willing to risk money on used televisions for myself but not for a friend.
post #9735 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticNJ View Post
I can't look at any more TV sets till I get someone to help me with my research anxiety.

We have a 73" Mitsubishi DLP right now. It's having an issue with dots all over the display. Bad DLP processor or something. Samsung won't fix it without me paying a lot so...it was purchased back in 2007 and I really don't want to put money into it.

So, I have financing through Dell. Has to come from Dell. Limit is $2500.
I have looked at the KS8000 65", JU7100 75" (2015 though?), JU6500 75", Vizio M70-D3 70", and the Sony 75X850D 75".

I'm fried. Literally! Comparing these sets over and over and reading about them here and on rtings is driving me crazy.

Room is about 16 feet long and about 12 feet wide. Kinda narrow. Lots of bright sunlight comes in from the sliding door during the day so the room is bright. We have both Xbox 360 and PS4 and currently have DirecTV with HD DVR and also an Apple TV Gen 3.

We primarily watch movies on it. Either BluRay with the PS4 or streaming from the Apple TV. Some game play. My girls mostly like to play Dance Central and Just Dance. I'd like to connect an HD Antenna down the road but willing to do it with an external tuner. I'm considering cutting the cord with DTV. Lastly, I BELIEVE I want HDR or the most bang for the buck that I can get. I plan to keep the TV for at LEAST 8 years or more.

Can someone please help me figure out which way to go? Please? Pretty please?

Thanks!

Fred
I just installed a 65 x850D and 65ks8000 for my parents.

They both have good pictures but the 65ks8000 definitely outshines the 65x850D. The blacks are better, there is better gray uniformity, and the back lighting is also more uniform.

I have a 65x850C I purchased last year and I am jealous of my parents new 65ks8000 as they paid less and it has a better picture.

Personally, if you are not set on getting a 75" I would get the Samsung 65ks8000.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #9736 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espi23 View Post

They both have good pictures but the 65ks8000 definitely outshines the 65x850D. The blacks are better, there is better gray uniformity, and the back lighting is also more uniform.

I have a 65x850C I purchased last year and I am jealous of my parents new 65ks8000 as they paid less and it has a better picture.

Personally, if you are not set on getting a 75" I would get the Samsung 65ks8000.

From what I've read, the advice about the 65" is what I would do, but I'm shooting for 75", which leaves a small sample size.
post #9737 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 View Post
From what I've read, the advice about the 65" is what I would do, but I'm shooting for 75", which leaves a small sample size.
If you are set on a 75" the 850D is still a good TV.

I just think the ks8000 has a better picture.

post #9738 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
If you are set on a 75" the 850D is still a good TV.

I just think the ks8000 has a better picture.

I can get the Samsung 7100 75" for $1,900, do I bite?

post #9739 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:

That's a great price I think it's $2500 on Amazon. Same price as the 75x850D.

Based on price, size, and a better rating than the 850D on rtings I think it's a great deal.

You also get 3D

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #9740 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Using EPP? It's a 2015 set but I was seriously thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9741 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
My apologies for getting slightly ahead of myself, I made a thread before I realized this thread existed. This was the contents of my thread...

Hey guys,

As the title states I've narrowed it down to these two sets. Specifically the Samsung un65ks8000 (not the curved), and the Sony xbr65x850d. I initially wanted a 70 inch, but it seems like to get a 70 inch with comparable picture quality to the two above mentioned, the price jumps dramatically. I see the Samsung UN70KU6300F is very affordable, but I'm not reading great things about it.

I'm not looking to spend more than $1500, though I'd possibly stretch to $2000 if it were truly worth the while. My last TV (purchased retail) was a Sony XB4 back in 07, that in hindsight I got lambasted on lol, so I'm trying to be more budget conscious this time around.

The most important thing to me with the TV are obviously picture quality. Below are the main things I want to be able to get the most out of.

-I do watch a ton of sports
-I will be using it to game. I have a ps4, and will be picking up an xbox one S for the 4k.
-4k movie and blue ray movies almost exclusively.
-Cable TV

I've always been a sony fan (mostly because I've had one). After reading some reviews, specifically rting, it has the sony listed subpar for its gaming and movie performance, and those are the two most important aspects for me.

If you guys have any other suggestions to throw in the mix that work well for what I'm using it for, I'm open to those as well. My only definite no is NO CURVED.

Thanks in advance,
Rocco
post #9742 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logikbrooklyn View Post
My apologies for getting slightly ahead of myself, I made a thread before I realized this thread existed. This was the contents of my thread...

Hey guys,

As the title states I've narrowed it down to these two sets. Specifically the Samsung un65ks8000 (not the curved), and the Sony xbr65x850d. I initially wanted a 70 inch, but it seems like to get a 70 inch with comparable picture quality to the two above mentioned, the price jumps dramatically. I see the Samsung UN70KU6300F is very affordable, but I'm not reading great things about it.

I'm not looking to spend more than $1500, though I'd possibly stretch to $2000 if it were truly worth the while. My last TV (purchased retail) was a Sony XB4 back in 07, that in hindsight I got lambasted on lol, so I'm trying to be more budget conscious this time around.

The most important thing to me with the TV are obviously picture quality. Below are the main things I want to be able to get the most out of.

-I do watch a ton of sports
-I will be using it to game. I have a ps4, and will be picking up an xbox one S for the 4k.
-4k movie and blue ray movies almost exclusively.
-Cable TV

I've always been a sony fan (mostly because I've had one). After reading some reviews, specifically rting, it has the sony listed subpar for its gaming and movie performance, and those are the two most important aspects for me.

If you guys have any other suggestions to throw in the mix that work well for what I'm using it for, I'm open to those as well. My only definite no is NO CURVED.

Thanks in advance,
Rocco
Based on just installing both TVs definitely go with the 65KS8000.

Better picture and faster response times for gaming.

The difference is definitely noticeable.

post #9743 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Based on just installing both TVs definitely go with the 65KS8000.

Better picture and faster response times for gaming.

The difference is definitely noticeable.

Great, thats the direction I was leaning.

Thank you for the reply,
Rocco
post #9744 of 10290 Old 11-18-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Using EPP? It's a 2015 set but I was seriously thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I find a guy that let me use his EPP for $10. Went ahead and ordered, pretty stoked!

post #9745 of 10290 Old 11-19-2016, 11:24 AM

OK....

Vizio M80-D3 $3700
Vizio P75-C1 $3500 at costco

...or

Sony 940D $4000 at video only

Which one to purchase?
post #9746 of 10290 Old 11-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfan2012 View Post
OK....

Vizio M80-D3 $3700
Vizio P75-C1 $3500 at costco

...or

Sony 940D $4000 at video only

Which one to purchase?
Sony 940D!
post #9747 of 10290 Old 11-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I am definitely leaning towards the KS8000 but having a hard time taking the hit on the size. Quality rules and I kinda refuse to pay more for a larger screen and lower quality but...the KS8000 is 8" smaller than what I have now. Worried that will drive me crazy.
post #9748 of 10290 Old 11-20-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I am definitely leaning towards the KS8000 but having a hard time taking the hit on the size. Quality rules and I kinda refuse to pay more for a larger screen and lower quality but...the KS8000 is 8" smaller than what I have now. Worried that will drive me crazy.
Do you rather stare at large saggy titties or nice medium perky titties? ....hmm
post #9749 of 10290 Old 11-20-2016, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a big difference between the KU6300 and K7000 models? The price gap appears to be $200, but other than the WCG, I don't see much of a difference. I am wanting a TV that ill solely be for gaming, and Rtings has the input lag of the 6300 lower, with most everything about the same. So, any reason I should seriously consider going from $550 on the 6300 to $750 on the 7000? Any other TV to consider in that $550-750 range from another brand as a good gaming display?
post #9750 of 10290 Old 11-20-2016, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs223425 View Post
Is there a big difference between the KU6300 and K7000 models? The price gap appears to be $200, but other than the WCG, I don't see much of a difference. I am wanting a TV that ill solely be for gaming, and Rtings has the input lag of the 6300 lower, with most everything about the same. So, any reason I should seriously consider going from $550 on the 6300 to $750 on the 7000? Any other TV to consider in that $550-750 range from another brand as a good gaming display?
In addition to the KU7000 having Wide Color Gamut, some other differences:

KU6300 - direct backlit; KU7000 - edge lit.
KU6300 is a tad brighter
Gray uniformity is better on the KU7000

But overall they will perform very similar for gaming so why not save $200 and get the KU6300.
cubs223425 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread