the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 331 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 221Likes
post #9901 of 9915 Unread 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Torn between Sony XBR65X930D and Samsung UN65KS8000

Budget $2000
Seating 15 feet.
Screen size 65" flat panel
Placed on TV stand which is same level as sitting on couch 15 feet away.
Used for watching TV, sports with lights on and well lit room, Movies in near complete darkness.
No gaming at all.

I Not worried about input lag as I won't be gaming.
Am concerned about Display Lag and Motion Blur.
Motion blur is mentioned to be much better on Sony.

I read complete reviews and sites like rtings.com say Samsung is slightly better overall.

things I like about Sony over Samsung are Motion Blur is less and it has 3D (never had a 3D TV before so this might be fun for kids and myself..lol).
Samsung is right now $400 lower than Sony.
Also the Magnolia guy at Bestbuy who actually knew a lot about TVs said Sony is way better hands down.

Let me know if u guys have experience with both.

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 9915 Unread 12-03-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With your helpful feedback I think I will skip the LG 8500 and the Sony X850D and move up to the Sony X940D. Much better picture after seeing in-store performance and reviews.

So the Sony XBR-75X940D is at least $1K less than big box stores on sites like East Coast TV, Abe's, Cliff's Deals, and TV Superstore. I know some (maybe all) of these places are sketchy. Is it a Russian roulette buying from one of these guys? Or should I suck it in and spend over $1K more and go to Best Buy?

Edit, Disclaimer: I bought a sub-$1K TV from East Coast TV 3 years ago and dealt with high-pressure sales tactics (bait & switch) and long shipping times, but it came intact and as advertised. I don't mind dealing with this again considering the savings potential. I'd like to hear input from others beforehand though if possible.

Last edited by Accidental; 12-03-2016 at 03:42 PM.
post #9903 of 9915 Unread 12-03-2016, 03:48 PM

1. Budget - Wife says $2k but I'm sure with some expert rationale I could get it to $3k OTD
2. Seating distance - Current 61" DLP sits at 13' (from the seat dead center to it, other spots range from 8' to 15' away) on a entertainment cabinet piece of furniture, new could go back as far as 15' with a wall mount
3. Size/placement limitations - No size limits as the piece of furniture it could sit on (if we don't wall mount it) is 86" wide. I want a noticeably bigger set some I am not sure a 65" would make me happy.
4. Uses and sources - DirecTV, WiiU, Sony Blu Ray player all ran through a Yamaha RX-A850 I just got a couple of months ago. I watch a lot of live sports on it (NFL, NBA, MLB and some boxing), live TV news, Lots of DVR'd comedies and drama, some Netflix and Amazon Prime, occasional Blu Ray.
5. Room lighting - No direct sunlight into the room except for a few months of the year when it gets some through a few small windows 30 feet away that does make a pretty good glare for a few hours at sunset).

When I got my recommendation on my DLP 9 years ago from this site, it was perfect. I'm sure you guys will hit another homerun for me this time too. TIA
post #9904 of 9915 Unread 12-03-2016, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
the "help me choose an LCD" thread

That is pretty far to sit for that size of a tv. I'm at about 11.5 feet with a 75" and wish I was just a little closer. Once you get out of 65" into 70 and 75 prices really jump for what you get. Do you care about HDR? At that distance anything under 75 and 4K is kind of pointless. But HDR is still very noticeable.
I'd look at the vizio m70 or Samsung ku6300 if you are not worried much about HDR. Unfortunately anything with good HDR only comes in a 65 or 75, nothing in a 70.

The vizio p75 is a pretty good HDR tv and is the one I own. The prices this past week were at 2900, but has since jumped back up. I would not even look at anything with an IPS screen with the lighting in your room, so this rules out any of the decent cheaper 75" HDR tvs. From the vizio, it goes up to the amazing Sony xbr940d at $4000. This tv is amazing for everything except gaming due to input lag. Basically with the size you crave, you don't have a lot of choice.

If you can deal with a 65" go with the vizio p65 (2k currently, was 1500), Samsung ks8000 (1500), or the awesome LG B6(3k).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9905 of 9915 Unread Yesterday, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I like both tv's and can't decide which one to get.

I have the Sony 930D and now have the LG OLED65C6P on layaway at the black Friday price. Let's assume they are the same price for comparisons sake.

I know they both have their pluses and minuses, but I am getting stir crazy with the finer details that I don't quite understand in making the final decision.

What should I be comparing or looking out for? Is there anything that really makes one the clear winner?

Sony 65930D and Marantz 7011 just added
post #9906 of 9915 Unread Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post
I like both tv's and can't decide which one to get.

I have the Sony 930D and now have the LG OLED65C6P on layaway at the black Friday price. Let's assume they are the same price for comparisons sake.

I know they both have their pluses and minuses, but I am getting stir crazy with the finer details that I don't quite understand in making the final decision.

What should I be comparing or looking out for? Is there anything that really makes one the clear winner?
Do you need wide angle viewing, over 20 degrees offset from center screen?
post #9907 of 9915 Unread Today, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastblack View Post
That is pretty far to sit for that size of a tv. I'm at about 11.5 feet with a 75" and wish I was just a little closer. Once you get out of 65" into 70 and 75 prices really jump for what you get. Do you care about HDR? At that distance anything under 75 and 4K is kind of pointless. But HDR is still very noticeable.
I'd look at the vizio m70 or Samsung ku6300 if you are not worried much about HDR. Unfortunately anything with good HDR only comes in a 65 or 75, nothing in a 70.

The vizio p75 is a pretty good HDR tv and is the one I own. The prices this past week were at 2900, but has since jumped back up. I would not even look at anything with an IPS screen with the lighting in your room, so this rules out any of the decent cheaper 75" HDR tvs. From the vizio, it goes up to the amazing Sony xbr940d at $4000. This tv is amazing for everything except gaming due to input lag. Basically with the size you crave, you don't have a lot of choice.

If you can deal with a 65" go with the vizio p65 (2k currently, was 1500), Samsung ks8000 (1500), or the awesome LG B6(3k).

Can you explain to me why I might want/need HDR? I read a little about it but am unsure if I would notice the difference with or without based on what I watch.
post #9908 of 9915 Unread Today, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1.Budget
$800

2. Seating distance
6-9 ft

3. Size/placement limitations
42-50"

4. Uses and sources
TV
Movies
Console Systems (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)

5. Room lighting
windows with blinds. Dimly lit.

I currently have a LG 42LH40. I bought this tv without knowing what motion-rate 120 is and how it's NOT a 120 hz panel. The artifacts it creates in fast moving scenes is horrendous. I could turn it off, but I really like the smooth panning it creates otherwise. I'd like to correct that this time around. I'm interested in getting a panel capable of 120 hz at 1080p natively.

I only play re-encoded TV/Movies, so I'm not sure if HDR will be even close to necessary. I wouldn't mind 4k, but I want an emphasis on being able to do 120 hz at 1080p, which I'm not sure is possible at this price point with 4k TV's.
post #9909 of 9915 Unread Today, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjrl View Post
Can you explain to me why I might want/need HDR? I read a little about it but am unsure if I would notice the difference with or without based on what I watch.
Check this out... It will tell you everything you need to know. If you have a good HDR TV, and the content for it, its very noticeable.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...sion-explained
post #9910 of 9915 Unread Today, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Check this out... It will tell you everything you need to know. If you have a good HDR TV, and the content for it, its very noticeable.
OK. So after reading that I've decided that HDR is important. I've also came to the conclusion that 65" won't be big enough. So now the question is how much beyond my original $3k budget would I have to go to be able to do this and what are my options. I do have the benefit of time as my existing set is still OK. I could easily wait until the Super Bowl sales to buy if need be and possibly longer. I am at the very early stages of purchasing.

Last edited by captainjrl; Today at 02:52 PM.
post #9911 of 9915 Unread Today, 02:52 PM

Quote:
OK. So after reading that I've decided that HDR is important. I'vealso came to the conclusion that 65" won't be big enough. So now the question is how much beyond my original $3k budget would I have to go to be able to do this and what are my options. I do have the benefit of time as my existing set is still OK. I could easily wait until the Super Bowl sales to buy if need be and possibly longer. I am at the very early stages of purchasing.

I came to the same conclusion when I started looking. Thanks to this damn forum! Right now, if you are not a gamer, the best tv in my opinion is the Sony 940D. The vizio is a good tv at the price I got it for. Good thing is, you can buy now, and you can price match later with Best Buy or amazon.

post #9912 of 9915 Unread Today, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I came to the same conclusion when I started looking. Thanks to this damn forum! Right now, if you are not a gamer, the best tv in my opinion is the Sony 940D. The vizio is a good tv at the price I got it for. Good thing is, you can buy now, and you can price match later with Best Buy or amazon.

Not a gamer now but I'd like for this TV to be a little future proof for when my son gets old enough to play games on it with me (he's almost 5 now). Right now its strictly WiiU (would lag be noticeable on it's games?). But eventually I'd love to play whatever generation of Playstation and/or XBox without needing to upgrade a TV. My DLP has served me well and has lasted 9+ years. So barring a major problem I usually keep TVs that long. I'd rather wait a little for a price to come down rather than sacrifice quality.
post #9913 of 9915 Unread Today, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Not a gamer now but I'd like for this TV to be a little future proof for when my son gets old enough to play games on it with me (he's almost 5 now). Right now its strictly WiiU (would lag be noticeable on it's games?). But eventually I'd love to play whatever generation of Playstation and/or XBox without needing to upgrade a TV. My DLP has served me well and has lasted 9+ years. So barring a major problem I usually keep TVs that long. I'd rather wait a little for a price to come down rather than sacrifice quality.

If you're willing to wait, CES is next month which will probably make the prices on current tvs drop a bit since new tech will be coming out.

post #9914 of 9915 Unread Today, 03:06 PM

Quote:
If you're willing to wait, CES is next month which will probably make the prices on current tvs drop a bit since new tech will be coming out.

So if lag is an issue for me, what would you recommend instead of the Sony? Your Vizio or is there something in the price range of that Sony that's better than your Vizio?

Last edited by captainjrl; Today at 03:22 PM.
post #9915 of 9915 Unread Today, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long Time Coming

Situation
Replacing an older model floor model Sony tv. It's about an 50in screen. Works fine just takes up too much space
New TV location on the wall
Viewing distance is about 11ft away.
Mostly sports, movies, HDTV and videogames
Budget is $2000 and under
I've been looking at 65in TV's as I feel it will fill out the space on the wall better vs. a 55in TV. Any suggestions on a tv would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread