the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 340 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 287Likes
post #10171 of 10679 Old 01-15-2017, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Thanks

Yes, HDR is important to me. I want something state of the art and all totally comparable. (hence I listed the OPPO player and Fire TV streamer. )

Specific recommendations please so I don't screw up.
If you are used to plasma, OLED will probably be your best bet - but they aren't cheap... Look into the OLED55B6P (flat, no 3d) or the OLED55C6P (curved, includes 3D) - they are typically the same price. I think Best Buy has them on sale for $2k right now. OLED sets (as opposed to LCD/LED sets) have no backlight systems - each of the 8+ million pixels is self-illuminating. This gives you fantastic viewing angles, perfect blacks and an infinite contrast ratio - but in my opinion, they lack in the motion-processing area (if you like to "smooth" TV motion, aka Soap Opera Effect, they are not very good at it - IMO).

If you do not want to spend that much, it's really a tough choice... There is the Samsung KS8000 series, but they seem to have some physical build quality issues. There is the Vizio M- or P- Series - which are OK if you are ok with a "dumb" TV - you have to "cast" things to them - there are no built in apps (or even a built-in interface for TV settings, etc). You have to use a phone or tablet to control the TV. Also, if you need off-angle viewing, they have some flaws. Also, they have no built-in tuner for OTA broadcasts.

Sony has the x930d, but it has some issues as well (fast motion has a purple effect) and like with any backlight-based TV, there is the possibility of backlight bleed, etc.

Let me ask this - what is your price range (I didn't see it, but may have missed it)?

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk
eljr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 10679 Old 01-15-2017, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
OK, I know nothing.

Am I in the right thread?

I need recommendations on 4K tvs. Plasma, LED, I don't know the difference.

55-60 inch.

It will be paired with a OPPO 203.

The 203 will be feed from a Amazon Fire, due to arrive in FEBuary.

What do I need for a TV?
Most high-end TVs don't come in smaller sizes, except for LG OLED. It has the unlimited viewing angle of a plasma. infinite blacks, supports HDR. You can go to Best Buy or Amazon but you should go to Best Buy to see it in person. Get one of the flat ones.

LG 55" OLED55B6P

LG 55" OLED55E6P
eljr likes this.
post #10173 of 10679 Old 01-17-2017, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I posted this in another thread, but I think (and hope) I may get more help here...

I own a Samsung UN60HU8550 4K TV that I bought about two years ago after doing some extensive research in stores and this here forum. (I still have nightmares about all the back and forth I did over Golf chipsets and Sharp displays!) At the time, this was sort of the "best of the best" of the available non-curved 4K TVs. Anyway, what brings me here is that I am in the market for another TV (the one from two years ago is a bedroom set and I need to replace my living room set) and I can't seem to figure out which non-curved Samsung of today is equivalent to the UNxxHU8550 in terms of being the "best of the best." A lot of what I was reading seemed to indicate that the KS8000 model is what I was looking for, but I'm not sure. In fact, I'm far from sure. I love my UN60HU8550, but it is much better head-on and the new TV will go in an area where a wide viewing angle is important. Other notes...I would probably go for 60-inches at minimum, 70-inches maximum. Also, 90% of the programming it will display will be sports. Price is not necessarily a factor, but I also don't want to overpay to be one of fifty people with the greatest new technology that just came out today.

Thanks in advance for the assistance...any information or guidance is seriously appreciated!

post #10174 of 10679 Old 01-18-2017, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillmodious View Post
the new TV will go in an area where a wide viewing angle is important. Other notes...I would probably go for 60-inches at minimum, 70-inches maximum. Also, 90% of the programming it will display will be sports. Price is not necessarily a factor, but I also don't want to overpay to be one of fifty people with the greatest new technology that just came out today.
Forget Samsung if you need a wide viewing angle, their better set are all VA panels with narrow viewing angles. Look at OLED and IPS panel sets for a wide viewing angle. Your best choice would be the LG OLED65B6P which is a flat screen 65" version.
post #10175 of 10679 Old 01-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Samsung KS8500 or wait for new 2017 sets??

at the risk of getting in trouble in this forum I must ask before I buy a new TV...I have a55 inch Samsung LCD from 2011 and it served me well...I use an Oppo 103D for playback and my bluray collection is over 300 movies plus many DVDs. I watch over the air HD channels. I sit about 10 feet away from my TV. I confess all this marketing about 4K is very effective! Sure makes me want to jump to a new TV! and I know that 4K is more noticeable the closer I sit to the TV and that HDR is important (HDR 10 vs Dolby Vision worries me a bit). In any case, I was considering the Samsung 65inch KS8500 (I cannot afford a 65inch LG OLED) and even with the talk re defects it still sound appealing if the price comes down even more. But I wonder if waiting for the 2017 models is the right thing to do. I fear that the prices will be higher than the current 2016 TVs...What would you advice based on your experience/ownership of a 65inch KS8500?
thanks
Paco
post #10176 of 10679 Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Forget Samsung if you need a wide viewing angle, their better set are all VA panels with narrow viewing angles. Look at OLED and IPS panel sets for a wide viewing angle. Your best choice would be the LG OLED65B6P which is a flat screen 65" version.
Thanks for the response. I narrowed my search down to two models--a 65" KS8000 or a 65" OLED B6--so your suggestion is very timely. It seems the OLED B6 is the no-brainer to go with...however, it is an absolute fact that those sets suffer from some degree of image burn-in. I have read the reviews, yes, but I've also seen it for myself up close. Most notably, I watch a TON of ESPN programming (hence the note about mostly watching sports on a new set) and have seen many instances where the OLED B6 will leave a ghost 'ESPN' logo in the corner of the screen, or a remnant of the scrolling score ticker bar at the bottom of the screen, when it goes to commercial or if I change the channel. I once returned an amazing plasma TV I had for that very reason. So having seen that, I am now leaning heavily towards a KS8000.

I am concerned about build quality with the KS8000 as it will be wall-mounted, and the audio problems people mention are troubling because I will be utilizing a Yamaha receiver to run the sound. (As an aside, I'll be using an optical connection for the audio, so does anybody know if I would have the ARC audio problem people are experiencing?) Of course, I know that with any LED viewing angle is not going to be ideal, but is it terrible on this set?
post #10177 of 10679 Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
It seems the OLED B6 is the no-brainer to go with...however, it is an absolute fact that those sets suffer from some degree of image burn-in. I have read the reviews, yes, but I've also seen it for myself up close. Most notably, I watch a TON of ESPN programming (hence the note about mostly watching sports on a new set) and have seen many instances where the OLED B6 will leave a ghost 'ESPN' logo in the corner of the screen, or a remnant of the scrolling score ticker bar at the bottom of the screen, when it goes to commercial or if I change the channel.
Ask on the B6 side. I've not noticed this and the critical over there haven't either. Pretty much a non-issue. Even in extreme conditions, turning the TV off for ten minutes apparently clears anything.

55B6P
post #10178 of 10679 Old 01-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I narrowed my search down to two models--a 65" KS8000 or a 65" OLED B6--so your suggestion is very timely. It seems the OLED B6 is the no-brainer to go with...however, it is an absolute fact that those sets suffer from some degree of image burn-in. I have read the reviews, yes, but I've also seen it for myself up close. Most notably, I watch a TON of ESPN programming (hence the note about mostly watching sports on a new set) and have seen many instances where the OLED B6 will leave a ghost 'ESPN' logo in the corner of the screen, or a remnant of the scrolling score ticker bar at the bottom of the screen, when it goes to commercial or if I change the channel. I once returned an amazing plasma TV I had for that very reason. So having seen that, I am now leaning heavily towards a KS8000.

I am concerned about build quality with the KS8000 as it will be wall-mounted, and the audio problems people mention are troubling because I will be utilizing a Yamaha receiver to run the sound. (As an aside, I'll be using an optical connection for the audio, so does anybody know if I would have the ARC audio problem people are experiencing?) Of course, I know that with any LED viewing angle is not going to be ideal, but is it terrible on this set?
Around 20 off angle to either side you can see a color shift and lessened black level in the Samsung VA panel. This is typical of all VA panels as they are not suited for a room where there will be viewing angles over 20 degrees.

As the other poster mentioned, the ghosting is not permanent so I personally don't see it as a problem. I've not had ghosting issues on my 8-year old plasma either and I also watch a lot of sports.

You could also look at IPS panels since black levels are not that significant for sports watching, panel uniformity is a much bigger issue especially for hockey. So you could look at the IPS panel Sony XBR65X850 which although it suffers from normal LCD corner uniformity issues is supposedly free of banding.
post #10179 of 10679 Old 01-19-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So i'm looking at both the samsung 65" 6300 and the 8000 series sets and i'm trying to decide if i need to spend the xtra cash. I realize the 8000 is future proofing with Her and Wide color gamut, but will i ever need it. I'm a cord cutter so i'm getting my ota using the Apple TV and the channels app with a silicon dust connect. I'm getting my cable channels with Direct TV Now t present and that could change to PS Due or Hulu in the future, and of course Amazon Prime and Netflix. I watch a lot of content that i've ripped into plex at mostly SD and up to 1080p. I have a blue ray, but i'mkind of out of the physical media market for stuff other than the occasion TV DVD or Blu Ray. I buy some movies from Vudu and iTunes and have a Roku 4, Amazon Firestick, and Apple TV's , Really interested in an awesome picture from those sources and football and baseball, eventually 4k broadcasting is gonna come but is that 5 to ten years off or more to be the average.

Given all that i have said i'd like to hear opinions from the folks also trying or have made the decision.

BTW it will be replacing an LG 50" Plasma now
post #10180 of 10679 Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So I posted this in the LCD forum but now realized that it probably belongs here so I'll repost it:

Is it really worth it ????
So my Sony KDS A3000 finally went belly up. Gonna get a new TV but I have two questions based on the fact that the ONLY thing I watch is 1080i material from dish which we all know is pretty compressed.

1) A bit concerned about size. I've always heard it stated that the bigger the better but being that the HD being broadcast from Dish is not the best in the world, I'm thinking that a larger TV, like a 60, may not be desirable being that it would show up more of the artifacts of compression. My viewing distance is 9.5 feet and I'm seriously thinking about a 55 that will replace my 50" KDS a3000.

2) Being that the Dish broadcasts are compressed, does it make sense to spend more money for a higher end TV? In other words, would the benefit of a higher end TV, such as the Samsung 8000 be even noticed when watching 1080i material from Dish versus a Samsung 6290?
post #10181 of 10679 Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi there,
I need advice on choosing a TV set for my family room. Currently I have a 55" Sony NX810 which I'm planning to move to my bedroom and will need a new TV. The viewing distance in the family room is 14ft with enough sunlight during the day. The TV is used primarily for movies/TV series/sports (70% of the time) and 30% will be for gaming (PS4) which my son plays .

I've read a lot of reviews and issues on these 3 TV sets and can't figure which one to pick. I've been a Sony guy for over 15 years and recently because of price, I'm willing to venture into other brand.
Here are the models:
1) Sony 65" - x930D
2) Samsung 65" - KS9000
3) LG OLED - 55" B6

Obviously I would like to go with an OLED 65" but it is out of my budget. Here in Canada, based on some quotes I received, Sony is a little bit more expensive than Samsung by approx $400 and LG is lower than the two since it's a 55" TV.

Questions:
1) Should I sacrifice quality of size? (55" v/s 65")
2) Which one would you recommend?

Thank you.
post #10182 of 10679 Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarc8 View Post
Hi there,
I need advice on choosing a TV set for my family room. Currently I have a 55" Sony NX810 which I'm planning to move to my bedroom and will need a new TV. The viewing distance in the family room is 14ft with enough sunlight during the day. The TV is used primarily for movies/TV series/sports (70% of the time) and 30% will be for gaming (PS4) which my son plays .

I've read a lot of reviews and issues on these 3 TV sets and can't figure which one to pick. I've been a Sony guy for over 15 years and recently because of price, I'm willing to venture into other brand.
Here are the models:
1) Sony 65" - x930D
2) Samsung 65" - KS9000
3) LG OLED - 55" B6

Obviously I would like to go with an OLED 65" but it is out of my budget. Here in Canada, based on some quotes I received, Sony is a little bit more expensive than Samsung by approx $400 and LG is lower than the two since it's a 55" TV.

Questions:
1) Should I sacrifice quality of size? (55" v/s 65")
2) Which one would you recommend?

Thank you.
At 14 feet, a 55" set is too small. So even though OLED is the best, I'd eliminate that option. At 65", the Samsung UN65KS8000 would be the best buy for you since it is better for gaming than the Sony XBR65X930D and $400 cheaper.

But, to be honest, even a 65" is a little small for that 14 foot distance so a 75" would be best if you can afford it. If you need extended viewing angles, the IPS panel Sony XBR75X850D is a good value. It will look good in daytime or a lighted room, but you will notice weak black levels in a totally dark room.
post #10183 of 10679 Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
So i'm looking at both the samsung 65" 6300 and the 8000 series sets and i'm trying to decide if i need to spend the xtra cash. I realize the 8000 is future proofing with Her and Wide color gamut, but will i ever need it. I'm a cord cutter so i'm getting my ota using the Apple TV and the channels app with a silicon dust connect. I'm getting my cable channels with Direct TV Now t present and that could change to PS Due or Hulu in the future, and of course Amazon Prime and Netflix. I watch a lot of content that i've ripped into plex at mostly SD and up to 1080p. I have a blue ray, but i'mkind of out of the physical media market for stuff other than the occasion TV DVD or Blu Ray. I buy some movies from Vudu and iTunes and have a Roku 4, Amazon Firestick, and Apple TV's , Really interested in an awesome picture from those sources and football and baseball, eventually 4k broadcasting is gonna come but is that 5 to ten years off or more to be the average.

Given all that i have said i'd like to hear opinions from the folks also trying or have made the decision.

Wow, this is crazy I am looking at the exact same 2 tv's right now. models and size. I dont know if it helps, but here is what I have found...

KS8000
cons
price(on sale at BB this week 1499.99)not bad, but still
crappy build quality
poor viewing from angle
edge led lighting
sheitty one connect box(required for use)
back panel separation

pros
awesome blacks
10 bit gradient
minimal motion blur
judder free 24p
native 120hz
awesome picture and colors
hdr capable
local dimming
4 hdr 3 usb

ku6300(actually ku6290)
ku6290 lacks smart remote and bluetooth, but rest of specs are identical

cons
hdr compatible
poor viewing angle
no local dimming
poor viewing from angle
native 60hz panel
reports of some judder and motion blur

pros
price(on sale today at (BB 899.99 ku6290)(ku6300 1199.99)
awesome picture
10bit gradient
3 hdmi 2 usb
direct backlight led
price

personally, for the money, I think I'm going with the ku6290. Hope there is more input from others, but for the price, I cant beat it. Also, I am coming from a samsung ln52a550p3, so most anything current is going to look a lot better. Also, my use for the tv may vary from yours. I stream via chromecast, have cable tv, and watch some bluray/dvd movies. No sports, video games, computer monitor. I'm not 100% sure yet. Heck, I may end up with a Sony. Good luck!!!

Last edited by rugman1969; 01-22-2017 at 09:25 AM.
post #10184 of 10679 Old 01-22-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

OK. I went to BB today and they actually has a ku6300 and a ks8000 side by side, both running the typical hdr demo, showing that the 6300 wasnt as bright of a pic as the ks8000. I was able to adjust the settings on the ku6300 and almost got it identical in brightness and color to the ks8000. I ordered my un65ku6290 while I was there(same as 6300, but no bluetooth or smart remote). Hope that helps a bit more. I was standing approximately 10-14 feet away and it was so close. I also stood at an angle and the picture on neither actually degraded as much as people have been saying IMO. The 6290 was 899. couldnt justify spending the extra 600(ks8000 is 1499.) for a picture that close. It will be here Friday. woohoo
EscapeVelocity and lwien123 like this.

Last edited by rugman1969; 01-22-2017 at 05:37 PM.
post #10185 of 10679 Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugman1969 View Post
OK. I went to BB today and they actually has a ku6300 and a ks8000 side by side, both running the typical hdr demo, showing that the 6300 wasnt as bright of a pic as the ks8000. I was able to adjust the settings on the ku6300 and almost got it identical in brightness and color to the ks8000. I ordered my un65ku6290 while I was there(same as 6300, but no bluetooth or smart remote). Hope that helps a bit more. I was standing approximately 10-14 feet away and it was so close. I also stood at an angle and the picture on neither actually degraded as much as people have been saying IMO. The 6290 was 899. couldnt justify spending the extra 600(ks8000 is 1499.) for a picture that close. It will be here Friday. woohoo
Sooooo happy to hear this. My 6290 is being delivered tomorrow. The 8000 has gotten stellar reviews but being that it is that close to the 6300 bodes really well. Thanks.
post #10186 of 10679 Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hi folks, Looking at the KS8000 Vs Sony 930D. Not really into 3D, but outside of that, from reviews, I think the 930D may be a better tv for what we want (No gaming, just Cable tv, streaming services etc). My question, do you guys think that the 930D will be available under 1500 within the next month or so. I know that you cannot predict pricing, but from past trends, new product pipeline etc - anyone have any opinions?

i can get the KS8000 today for under $1500, willing to wait another month if you guys thought it made sense for the 930D

thanks
post #10187 of 10679 Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone -

Looking to buy a new TV to replace my trust old Panasonic V10 50" Plasma that the movers messed up ( lower 1/2 of screen flickers for the first 10-15mins).

-Seating distance is ~ 16'
-Viewing angles is mainly straight on to ~15*, but also as much as 40*
-Used mostly for Netflix, Sling, Fire, and maybe some PS4/Xbox

I know at that distance 75" would be best, but my budget is about $1500.

Two TV's I'm considering are:

Sony XBR65X850D
Vizio P65-C1

I know the LG OLED are highly spoken of here, but $2500 is on the high end for me ( New house, other hobbies, and we don't really watch TV much), but is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks
post #10188 of 10679 Old 01-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,

I need your much valued opinion, should I buy the Samsung 65KS9500 at a reduced price or wait for the new QLED 8 curved tv in the spring? I'm in the market for a new tv, but can wait until spring. The new QLED will cost me $1000-$1500 more than the KS9500. I know the KS95000 is 1000 knits and the new QLED Is about 2000 knits. Will use it mostly for cable, Netflix, gaming on my Xbox one S and PS4 Pro.

I can get the 65KS9500 $3300 cdn tax in.

Thanks in advance

Louie

Last edited by rwings01; 01-23-2017 at 01:28 PM.
post #10189 of 10679 Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm sure most people are sick of this question but after digging long and hard through forum posts I'm still very torn.

Vizio P-50 or Samsung KS8000?

I'll be upgrading from a 32" 1080p Samsung and am looking into getting a 50" 4k TV with HDR support. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two models, but I'm still open to other options as well.
I'll mostly be using it for gaming so the KS8000 seems like the obvious choice, but I'm really worried about having to deal with problems like light bleed and back panel separation. I'm hoping those defects aren't as rampant as they've been made out to be, but it's really holding me back from jumping on the hype train.

The Vizio P Series interests me more overall, but because I will be playing a lot of games I'm hesitant to go with a TV that sports a much higher input lag. I'm still not sure how much of a difference it will actually make, but most people seem to think it's worth noting when comparing the two.

The TV will be in my bedroom which is fairly well-lit and be about 6-7 feet away from me.

Any thoughts? Would the Sony x800d be a good cheaper alternative?

Thanks!
post #10190 of 10679 Old 01-24-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Quas View Post
I'm sure most people are sick of this question but after digging long and hard through forum posts I'm still very torn.

Vizio P-50 or Samsung KS8000?

I'll be upgrading from a 32" 1080p Samsung and am looking into getting a 50" 4k TV with HDR support. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two models, but I'm still open to other options as well.
I'll mostly be using it for gaming so the KS8000 seems like the obvious choice, but I'm really worried about having to deal with problems like light bleed and back panel separation. I'm hoping those defects aren't as rampant as they've been made out to be, but it's really holding me back from jumping on the hype train.

The Vizio P Series interests me more overall, but because I will be playing a lot of games I'm hesitant to go with a TV that sports a much higher input lag. I'm still not sure how much of a difference it will actually make, but most people seem to think it's worth noting when comparing the two.

The TV will be in my bedroom which is fairly well-lit and be about 6-7 feet away from me.

Any thoughts? Would the Sony x800d be a good cheaper alternative?

Thanks!

I think you're mistaken on the P series Vizio. Everything I've read online shows it as one of the best in regards to minimal input lag.
post #10191 of 10679 Old 01-24-2017, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I think you're mistaken on the P series Vizio. Everything I've read online shows it as one of the best in regards to minimal input lag.
Thats good to hear! I know the P series has upwards of 60 ms with HDR enabled, and the KS8000 is around 20 ms, but like I said that might not be something worth stressing over if I can't notice a difference. I also won't be playing many games with HDR so I'm not sure what vizio's input lag is without it.
post #10192 of 10679 Old 01-24-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Quas View Post
Thats good to hear! I know the P series has upwards of 60 ms with HDR enabled, and the KS8000 is around 20 ms, but like I said that might not be something worth stressing over if I can't notice a difference. I also won't be playing many games with HDR so I'm not sure what vizio's input lag is without it.
Seems like on HDR it is slower than the Samsung but I thought I read about 45ms.
post #10193 of 10679 Old 01-24-2017, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Must be 75" viewing from around 10 feet.

I'm not crazy into movies, this TV will be used for gaming, watching cable TV/netflix, streaming some 4K content. Movies from dragon box. TV is in dark basement.

I wanted to stay close to $2k for a 75" since my renovations went over budget but knowing whats out there for 2K, I need to increase my budget back up.
Options

Sony XBR- $2500
Read about bad blacks and various issues, no Dolby

P75- $2900 on sale at costco
loss of quality at angles is its only flaw imo

Samsung JU7100- $2800 (For sale for $2300 on perks at work but I cant figure out how to get that pricing)
angles again

Or should I just snag the JU6500 for $2k
I know about the judder.

Thoughts, opinions? Are these other TV's really that much better than the JU6500 for an extra 5-800 bucks?

I was going to pursue the JU7100 with the perks at work discount but I'm having a hard time, it just brings me to the Samsung website for the $2800 price point.
Also, I don't know how returns work with Samsung. I bought a Samsung about 10 years ago from circuit city with 1 stuck green pixel, they wouldn't let me return it and I refuse to live with a stuck pixel anymore.
post #10194 of 10679 Old 01-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyB210 View Post
I was going to pursue the JU7100 with the perks at work discount but I'm having a hard time, it just brings me to the Samsung website for the $2800 price point.
Did you try filling out the info here for the workplace discount?

http://www.samsung.com/us/shop/workplacediscount
post #10195 of 10679 Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Liked: 1
65" Sony 930D vs 55" LG OLED

Choosing between Sony 930d 65" and LG OLED B6 55". My budget is at max with these two, so cant go to the 65" LG.

Moving from a 2009 Samsung 50" Plasma. Room can be darkened but there is light that seeps in from adjacent room. Typical viewing distance is between 8 and 13 feet. Will be used with XBox One S and DirectTV through a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX101. Mixed use streaming/BluRay/some gaming. Typically watch movies and sports.

Really struggling with quality of OLED vs importance of size. Any thought greatly appreciated!
post #10196 of 10679 Old 01-25-2017, 01:25 PM

Hey Guys,

Just starting to look for a TV, but this is where I am at. In our bedroom, there is a small nook, about 6 feet long and 44 inches wide. We put a twin day bed in there, with the intent on turning it into a lounge/gaming nook. I need a nice 4k TV that will fit on the back wall mounted. I will be hooking up an XBOne first, then working on computer/other consoles. The viewing distance will be about 7 feet. I want something nice, but under 1k. I assume i need a TV around 48-50 inches to fit. I want something good for gaming.
post #10197 of 10679 Old 01-25-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi all,

Looking for a living room TV. I don't need top-of-the-line, best-of-the-best, or to impress my neighbors with specs. I want the best value for about $2,000. Here is the layout below. Typical viewing distance will be about 14', as close as about 8' but at an angle on the sectional couch. For football etc., could be as far away as 21'+ for the island/stools and people in the kitchen. Therefore, I am leaning toward a larger TV if I can get one in this price range...like 75".

Usage will be Netflix/Hulu/streaming. Have cable but may go back to OTA HD if they raise rates too high after introductory rates.

Any advice or models to start looking at? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Living Room.png
Views:	162
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1919305  
post #10198 of 10679 Old 01-26-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to replace my one year old 75" Sony (XBR-75X850C) that decided to get a red vertical line down the screen. Good news is that Amex extended warranty refunded me the entire price of the TV. Bad news is now I need to find another one. I am a little adverse to Sony's now, but need something at least 75" and it seems like my options are lacking unless I want to drop $5-10k. I would probably not want to go much above $3,500.

Any recommendations?

Sit about 15 ft away, so 75 or higher is needed.

Mostly use it to watch TV/movies, streaming (Amazon) and Sports. No gaming.
post #10199 of 10679 Old 01-28-2017, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULcajun View Post
Hey Guys,

Just starting to look for a TV, but this is where I am at. In our bedroom, there is a small nook, about 6 feet long and 44 inches wide. We put a twin day bed in there, with the intent on turning it into a lounge/gaming nook. I need a nice 4k TV that will fit on the back wall mounted. I will be hooking up an XBOne first, then working on computer/other consoles. The viewing distance will be about 7 feet. I want something nice, but under 1k. I assume i need a TV around 48-50 inches to fit. I want something good for gaming.
No hesitation I'd suggest a 55" ks8000, $999 practically everywhere. Best value in that range imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugman1969 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Hi all,

Looking for a living room TV. I don't need top-of-the-line, best-of-the-best, or to impress my neighbors with specs. I want the best value for about $2,000. Here is the layout below. Typical viewing distance will be about 14', as close as about 8' but at an angle on the sectional couch. For football etc., could be as far away as 21'+ for the island/stools and people in the kitchen. Therefore, I am leaning toward a larger TV if I can get one in this price range...like 75".

Usage will be Netflix/Hulu/streaming. Have cable but may go back to OTA HD if they raise rates too high after introductory rates.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
post #10200 of 10679 Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Hi all,

It appears you need a fairly wide viewing angle, close to 45 degrees for that 8' location, so look at IPS panels. They look fine in daylight or with the lights on, but the black levels appear a bit gray in a totally dark room. Your budget is low for a 75" but for $2,500 the Sony XBR75X850D good all around performer with an IPS panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page