the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 258Likes

post #10291 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I'm looking for a good Full HD in the 40''-50'' range for my parents. I don't want a 4K, since they don't have 4K content at the moment and Internet is such a disaster in my country (Italy) that they are not likely to have 4K content available in the short-to-mid term. They usually just watch movies, so the tv is not gonna be used as a monitor for PC or game console.
So what is the consensus on 40''-50'' Full HD tvs?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10292 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by looreenzoo View Post
Hello,
I'm looking for a good Full HD in the 40''-50'' range for my parents. I don't want a 4K, since they don't have 4K content at the moment and Internet is such a disaster in my country (Italy) that they are not likely to have 4K content available in the short-to-mid term. They usually just watch movies, so the tv is not gonna be used as a monitor for PC or game console.
So what is the consensus on 40''-50'' Full HD tvs?
Thanks in advance!
Having no idea what is available in Italy its hard to be specific. But all 1080p sets are budget models and most all are 60 Hz panels. They are all mediocre performers and you should probably decide whether your parents will need the wide viewing angle of an IPS panel. If not, get a VA panel set for deeper black levels. The Sony W650D which comes in 40" and 48" size is a VA panel set with pretty decent sound and doesn't have judder in true 24p playback (Blu-ray) while 24p via 60p and 60i will have judder. All cheap Samsungs have judder in all 24p sources and have worse overall motion handling than Sony.

To be honest today, even if you're not likely to view native 4K content, you're probably better off with a 4K set since they generally have better video processing will support the latest features. 4K sets by Sony and Samsung have excellent upscaling of 720p and 1080p video so they will perform very well with regular HD content.
post #10293 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
To be honest today, even if you're not likely to view native 4K content, you're probably better off with a 4K set since they generally have better video processing will support the latest features. 4K sets by Sony and Samsung have excellent upscaling of 720p and 1080p video so they will perform very well with regular HD content.
Thanks for your reply. My reasoning for 1080p over 4k was that, given a certain budget and no 4k content, it would be better to buy a good 1080p than a mediocre 4k. Does it make sense to you?

post #10294 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looreenzoo View Post
Thanks for your reply. My reasoning for 1080p over 4k was that, given a certain budget and no 4k content, it would be better to buy a good 1080p than a mediocre 4k. Does it make sense to you?
There are no good 1080p sets anymore, they are all bargain mediocre ones. Good luck with your search.
post #10295 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A few moving parts to this question. I Currently have a 55" Sony 850c in the Family room. Family room seating is about 12' back and some seating to the side. Max size TV in this room is 60" because of Built in.

I currently don't have any complaints with the 850c. It is bright enough for us and no complaints via off center viewing. The only real reason to upgrade is to go larger and move this TV to the room I will describe below. The only real 60" options seem to be the KS8000 and the LGUH8500. The LG can be had for about $1000 right now locally. I am leaning toward leaving the 55 850c and just purchasing a TV for the room below.

1. Budget
Max ~$1000

2. Seating distance
5-7'

3. Size/placement limitations
The TV will be on a normal height stand

4. Uses and sources
Movies, smart TV, and video games. 4k HDR. Setting up Dolby Atmos 3.1.2. 3D maybe

5. Room lighting
Can be 95% dark. Only one window that can be closed with a thick plantation shutter.

6. Extra Info
Basically taking a small 10x11 extra bedroom and attempting to create a mini theater.

I just bought a new 55" Samsung KU6290 for $500 total that I haven't opened that I can still return. May just keep it but debating getting a better TV with the deals popping up right now but this TV seems to be a lot of bang for the buck. 55 is big enough but a 65 would be better.

Debating between these deals right now but I am open to other suggestions but really do not want to jump into OLED prices.

1. LG 55 UH8500 - $850 (Passive 3d intrigues me but IPS panel in dark room scares me.)
2. LG 65 UH8500 - $1200 (See above)
3. Samsung 65 KU7000F - $1100
4. Sony 65 850c refurb - Comes with 1 year Square trade warranty and 30 day return policy - $900
5. Sony 65 930d refurb - Comes with 1 year Square trade warranty and 30 day return policy - $1050
(This TV has a chipped corner on front of stand and a 6 inch blemish on bottom of screen that is supposedly only noticeable when TV is off)
6. Keep 55" Samsung 6290 at $500

Thanks in advance for suggestions and replies.
post #10296 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post
1. LG 55 UH8500 - $850 (Passive 3d intrigues me but IPS panel in dark room scares me.)
2. LG 65 UH8500 - $1200 (See above)
3. Samsung 65 KU7000F - $1100
4. Sony 65 850c refurb - Comes with 1 year Square trade warranty and 30 day return policy - $900
5. Sony 65 930d refurb - Comes with 1 year Square trade warranty and 30 day return policy - $1050
(This TV has a chipped corner on front of stand and a 6 inch blemish on bottom of screen that is supposedly only noticeable when TV is off)
6. Keep 55" Samsung 6290 at $500
OK, here's what I think. Take it or leave it.

1. No - The UH8500 is fairly dull with poor black levels but a wider viewing angle.
2. No - Same as above just bigger and more expensive.
3. No - The KU7000 is usual 60 Hz Samsung judder machine and not even as bright as the cheaper KU6300 judder queen.
4. Maybe - You like your Sony 850C but it's kind of boring to have two of the same.
5. Yes - The Sony 930D would be my choice since it is the best set in your list.
6. Take it back - Its another 60 Hz Samsung judder box.
mc4saints likes this.
post #10297 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I have the 6290 and while I admit that on "some" content (far from all content), there is some judder which is correctable with a bit of motion control (but just a little so that I don't get that dreaded SOE), calling it the queen of judder or a judder box is a bit of an over exaggeration. It's not perfect but at 500 dollars, it's got to be the steal of the century.

The one thing that I really miss, however, is full HDR capability. THAT I wish I had.
mc4saints likes this.
post #10298 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

Quote:
OK, here's what I think. Take it or leave it.

1. No - The UH8500 is fairly dull with poor black levels but a wider viewing angle.
2. No - Same as above just bigger and more expensive.
3. No - The KU7000 is usual 60 Hz Samsung judder machine and not even as bright as the cheaper KU6300 judder queen.
4. Maybe - You like your Sony 850C but it's kind of boring to have two of the same.
5. Yes - The Sony 930D would be my choice since it is the best set in your list.
I appreciate the advice. Something not on my list I should be considering

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien123 View Post
I have the 6290 and while I admit that on "some" content (far from all content), there is some judder which is correctable with a bit of motion control (but just a little so that I don't get that dreaded SOE), calling it the queen of judder or a judder box is a bit of an over exaggeration. It's not perfect but at 500 dollars, it's got to be the steal of the century.

The one thing that I really miss, however, is full HDR capability. THAT I wish I had.
I thought it was a great deal to but these seem be selling often for around $500 now.
post #10299 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien123 View Post

I was specifically calling out Samsung on the 24p performance of their 60 Hz budget sets, which they should be embarrassed about. There's no reason for it other than they just don't give a damn. And having dealt with Samsung on other elements of their product line, I can tell you from experience that they don't care one bit about their customers or customer service. But, if you don't watch Blu-rays or other 24p movie content, yeah then it's fine. But if you do, its a judder box.
post #10300 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I appreciate the advice. Something not on my list I should be considering.
Well you listed at the top the of your post the 60" Samsung KS8000. A pretty narrow viewing angle (it has a different panel than the other KS8000 sizes), but a good performer all around. 120 Hz Samsungs don't suffer any judder woes and have decent brightness and black levels. So you could consider that one too.
post #10301 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Well you listed at the top the of your post the 60" Samsung KS8000. A pretty narrow viewing angle (it has a different panel than the other KS8000 sizes), but a good performer all around. 120 Hz Samsungs don't suffer any judder woes and have decent brightness and black levels. So you could consider that one too.
What panel does the KS 8000 60" have? Panel in 55 and 65? You like it better than the 850c or a scratch and dent 930d?

Pretty small room the tv will be in plus I don't have any issues with the sony 850c viewing angle. Samsung is probably as good? I just would really like to create a real movie effect in the room since it is very dark.

I guess I keep bringing in Sony because I like android TV but I am sure Samsung Tizen is fine.
post #10302 of 10313 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I thought it was a great deal to but these seem be selling often for around $500 now.
They're back up to 799 at every place I looked including BestBuy. Sure glad I picked mine up at the 499 price point.

Buying a TV is like playing the commodities market. hehe...
mc4saints likes this.
post #10303 of 10313 Old Today, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Vizio M80-D3 or Sony 940D
Ok guys I need your input. I've spent countless hours doing research on this two TVs and nee your opinion. I mainly watch TV of my hopper 3/sports/TV shows/HBO, some netflix/amazon and alike streaming services, some gaming mainly FPS(goes in waves sometimes I spend a lot of time on it others I just don't touch it for a month xbox one). That's about the extent of my TV usage. My previous (TVVIZIO M801d-A3R) suffered an accident that cracked the screen so I'm force to upgrade.

I watch from 11' away in a medium light room day time and can be pretty dark at night.

I believe the picture will definitely be better on the Sony but I'm wondering whether that difference is enough to justify going 5" smaller(remember I'm coming from an 80" TV. I have the Vizio at home already and although it is a nice upgrade over my old TV I don't really like the streamcast. I could get use to it I guess, but I much rather the old vizio interface.
I did look at a 940D at the store and obviously the picture was amazing. But I don't know how much of a benefit I'd get when it comes to watching at home regular programming. It is my understanding that the conversion is better on the Sony. The Vizio isn't bad but It isn't that much better than my old Vizio unless you are streaming or Casting.

The Sony I can get for $500 more than the Vizio but financing offer is much better on the Sony so by the time is all done an dust it cost will be about the same.
If you guys can offer another option over 75" with bellow $5000 price point I would also consider it. Thanks for the input ahead of time.
post #10304 of 10313 Old Today, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What panel does the KS 8000 60" have? Panel in 55 and 65? You like it better than the 850c or a scratch and dent 930d?

Pretty small room the tv will be in plus I don't have any issues with the sony 850c viewing angle. Samsung is probably as good? I just would really like to create a real movie effect in the room since it is very dark.

I guess I keep bringing in Sony because I like android TV but I am sure Samsung Tizen is fine.
The 55" (UN55KS8000) and 65" (UN65KS8000) models reportedly can have version FA01 or version AA02 panels. The 60" (UN60KS8000) has version a EA01 panel, with a narrower viewing angle and a thicker bezel. My guess is that for the 55" and 65" sets, the FA01 is a Samsung panel and the AA02 is AU Optronics; for the 60", the EA01 is probably a Sharp panel. Sony doesn't manufacture any of the own panels.

The Samsung UN60KS8000 is clearly a better set than the 2015 Sony 850C and comparable in performance to the larger 2016 Sony XBR65X930D.
mc4saints likes this.
post #10305 of 10313 Old Today, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedix911 View Post
Vizio M80-D3 or Sony 940D
Ok guys I need your input. I've spent countless hours doing research on this two TVs and nee your opinion. I mainly watch TV of my hopper 3/sports/TV shows/HBO, some netflix/amazon and alike streaming services, some gaming mainly FPS(goes in waves sometimes I spend a lot of time on it others I just don't touch it for a month xbox one). That's about the extent of my TV usage. My previous (TVVIZIO M801d-A3R) suffered an accident that cracked the screen so I'm force to upgrade.

I watch from 11' away in a medium light room day time and can be pretty dark at night.

I believe the picture will definitely be better on the Sony but I'm wondering whether that difference is enough to justify going 5" smaller(remember I'm coming from an 80" TV. I have the Vizio at home already and although it is a nice upgrade over my old TV I don't really like the streamcast. I could get use to it I guess, but I much rather the old vizio interface.
I did look at a 940D at the store and obviously the picture was amazing. But I don't know how much of a benefit I'd get when it comes to watching at home regular programming. It is my understanding that the conversion is better on the Sony. The Vizio isn't bad but It isn't that much better than my old Vizio unless you are streaming or Casting.

The Sony I can get for $500 more than the Vizio but financing offer is much better on the Sony so by the time is all done an dust it cost will be about the same.
If you guys can offer another option over 75" with bellow $5000 price point I would also consider it. Thanks for the input ahead of time.
Seems as if you should stick with the 80" Vizio that you already have. It's the size you're used to (hard to go smaller), it's better for gaming than the Sony, you say like it, and you'll eventually get used to streamcast. The Sony does have better upscaling than Vizio, but do you want to go smaller, and have worse input lag during your gaming "waves"?
post #10306 of 10313 Old Today, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Seems as if you should stick with the 80" Vizio that you already have. It's the size you're used to (hard to go smaller), it's better for gaming than the Sony, you say like it, and you'll eventually get used to streamcast. The Sony does have better upscaling than Vizio, but do you want to go smaller, and have worse input lag during your gaming "waves"?
Yes I agree with all your points. As far as upscaling Do you know if the difference is considerable or not enough to grant consideration of the smaller TV?

Thanks
post #10307 of 10313 Old Today, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedix911 View Post
Yes I agree with all your points. As far as upscaling Do you know if the difference is considerable or not enough to grant consideration of the smaller TV?

Thanks
The Vizio is fine for upscaling native 1080p content, but is not crystal clear when upscaling 720p cable signals. Since you have the Vizio M now, look for yourself and see if its OK for you.
post #10308 of 10313 Old Today, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The 55" (UN55KS8000) and 65" (UN65KS8000) models reportedly can have version FA01 or version AA02 panels. The 60" (UN60KS8000) has version a EA01 panel, with a narrower viewing angle and a thicker bezel. My guess is that for the 55" and 65" sets, the FA01 is a Samsung panel and the AA02 is AU Optronics; for the 60", the EA01 is probably a Sharp panel. Sony doesn't manufacture any of the own panels.

The Samsung UN60KS8000 is clearly a better set than the 2015 Sony 850C and comparable in performance to the larger 2016 Sony XBR65X930D.
Thanks again. I will most likely eventually get the KS8000 for the main living area to replace the 850c since 60 is the maximum size. I do have a Frys nearby that has the 65" KS 8500 for $1199 (Frys is paying the tax right now.) I realize it is the same TV as the 8000 but with a curve. Did not really want a curved TV but at a 6' viewing distance and the room is only 10' wide, and extremely dark for movies. The curve may add a cool effect right and off angle viewing will not be an issue since room is so small right?

1. Is the new 65 KS8500 at $1200 a better buy than the refurb 65 Sony 930d, but with 2 year square trade at $1000?
2. Is the new 65 KS8500 $680 better than the the 55 KU6290?

and the big one...

3. Is a LG OLED 65 C6P $1600 better than the other 65" TV's i have mentioned.

Really considering the 2016 OLED's simply for the passive 3D in that really dark room. I have a 4 year old son and really expect to dive into all the Star Wars Movies with him in the next few years and trying to create a pretty awesome set up in that room.

On the other hand, Not sure we will be in that room watching movies as much as we think and didn't want to over spend on a limited use room. Also, not sure how many 3D BLU Rays they are going to keep releasing?
post #10309 of 10313 Old Today, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks again. I will most likely eventually get the KS8000 for the main living area to replace the 850c since 60 is the maximum size. I do have a Frys nearby that has the 65" KS 8500 for $1199 (Frys is paying the tax right now.) I realize it is the same TV as the 8000 but with a curve. Did not really want a curved TV but at a 6' viewing distance and the room is only 10' wide, and extremely dark for movies. The curve may add a cool effect right and off angle viewing will not be an issue since room is so small right?

1. Is the new 65 KS8500 at $1200 a better buy than the refurb 65 Sony 930d, but with 2 year square trade at $1000?

and the big one...

Really considering the 2016 OLED's simply for the passive 3D in that really dark room. I have a 4 year old son and really expect to dive into all the Star Wars Movies with him in the next few years and trying to create a pretty awesome set up in that room.

On the other hand, Not sure we will be in that room watching movies as much as we think and didn't want to over spend on a limited use room. Also, not sure how many 3D BLU Rays they are going to keep releasing?
IMO the curve works best in a corner location or if your only seating is directly in front. I would pick new over a refurb if your credit card ups your warranty to 2 years.

Its your money. Personally I could not live with a Samsung 60 Hz panel with 24p judder.

Being an old plasma guy, I'd go for OLED over any LCD if I had the cash to spend. If I didn't have to pay Federal Income Tax this year, I'd be down at my local Microcenter store buying their open box LG 65B6P for 2,339.96 plus tax!
mc4saints likes this.
post #10310 of 10313 Old Today, 08:54 AM

Quote:
IMO the curve works best in a corner location or if your only seating is directly in front. I would pick new over a refurb if your credit card ups your warranty to 2 years.

Its your money. Personally I could not live with a Samsung 60 Hz panel with 24p judder.

Being an old plasma guy, I'd go for OLED over any LCD if I had the cash to spend. If I didn't have to pay Federal Income Tax this year, I'd be down at my local Microcenter store buying their open box LG 65B6P for 2,339.96 plus tax!
I am probably testing your patience but what about going 55" C6/B6 OLED in that room? Probably $200 - $400 more than the 65" mentioned earlier. Room is probably only 11 x 11. Also, the LG curve on the C6 seems to be so minor it would be fine in the middle of the room right? Allows me to get 3D where B6 doesn't. Quality outweigh Quantity in this scenario?
post #10311 of 10313 Old Today, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am probably testing your patience but what about going 55" C6/B6 OLED in that room? Probably $200 - $400 more than the 65" mentioned earlier. Room is probably only 11 x 11. Also, the LG curve on the C6 seems to be so minor it would be fine in the middle of the room right? Allows me to get 3D where B6 doesn't. Quality outweigh Quantity in this scenario?
If you really want 3D, then it's between the 55" LG C6 OLED and the 65" refurb Sony 930D as Samsung doesn't do 3D. The LG is the better choice for that since no glasses are required and the 65" Sony does need them and is reported to have noticeable crosstalk. In an 11" room, allowing for clearance to the TV and couch, you will be closer to 10 feet. Or you could move the couch closer. The curve on an OLED isn't as problematic as it is for an LCD since the viewing angle is unlimited like an old plasma. I'd at least go to look at the OLED and see what you think. Its not like you would be moving down is size since you're used to that 55" 850C at about the same distance.
post #10312 of 10313 Old Today, 09:28 AM

Quote:
If you really want 3D, then it's between the 55" LG C6 OLED and the 65" refurb Sony 930D as Samsung doesn't do 3D. The LG is the better choice for that since no glasses are required and the 65" Sony does need them and is reported to have noticeable crosstalk. In an 11" room, allowing for clearance to the TV and couch, you will be closer to 10 feet. Or you could move the couch closer. The curve on an OLED isn't as problematic as it is for an LCD since the viewing angle is unlimited like an old plasma. I'd at least go to look at the OLED and see what you think. Its not like you would be moving down is size since you're used to that 55" 850C at about the same distance.
More great points. Thanks. I went and measured room. It is 10'6" x 12'. With The TV on the stand and couch against wall probably about 8' 6" from TV unless I move couch up.

I measured family room seating distance from the 55 850C as well. I actually sit 14' back from it and the bottom of it is 4' off the floor. The new TV will be about 2' off the floor in media room.

Oh, I have looked at OLED and it does look better but does it look 20% smaller better in 55 vs 65?
post #10313 of 10313 Old Today, 10:18 AM

Quote:
There are no good 1080p sets anymore, they are all bargain mediocre ones. Good luck with your search.
I feel like this comment is too trenchant to be convincing, but thanks anyway for the previous one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page