the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 345 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #10321 of 10325 Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien123 View Post
For some odd reason, I found that statement quite amusing. Guess it's because of my very limited resources.
I am fortunate in some regards and not in others. Even so, while I wouldn't call it an irresponsible purchase, my funds are not so ample where I can disregard attempting to purchase a set that provides good value for the money. I'm willing to pay what I need to get the "right set" and avoid compromise, but I don't want to spend more than I need.

I will be convalescing from surgery in around 2 weeks. This process will last 4-6 weeks. I'd like to upgrade form my current set to something more substantial, as I will be spending a fair amount of time in front of it. My search started with the LG 86UH9500 however several reviews say the 3D is very poor quality (several people called the 3D a downgrade from their older sets) and the spec sheet does not list 1080p120 as a supported input. Then I came across the XBR85X850D and the Visio M. I know enough to be dangerous, and a lot of insiders know things worth considering / looking out for that I might not be aware of. So any thoughts, or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10325 Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNoir View Post
I am fortunate in some regards and not in others. Even so, while I wouldn't call it an irresponsible purchase, my funds are not so ample where I can disregard attempting to purchase a set that provides good value for the money. I'm willing to pay what I need to get the "right set" and avoid compromise, but I don't want to spend more than I need.

I will be convalescing from surgery in around 2 weeks. This process will last 4-6 weeks. I'd like to upgrade form my current set to something more substantial, as I will be spending a fair amount of time in front of it. My search started with the LG 86UH9500 however several reviews say the 3D is very poor quality (several people called the 3D a downgrade from their older sets) and the spec sheet does not list 1080p120 as a supported input. Then I came across the XBR85X850D and the Visio M. I know enough to be dangerous, and a lot of insiders know things worth considering / looking out for that I might not be aware of. So any thoughts, or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
The problem with the LG is that it's an IPS display with only edge-dimming, meaning night-time viewing is going to suffer from very poor blacks. The 850D only has global panel dimming, again, bad for getting the most of your set for dark room viewing. The Vizio M has a relatively modest full-array backlight, but no wide color gamut support and a relatively low max brightness, meaning it's not going to help you get the most out of any HDR content.

There aren't a lot of great options for quality TVs in the 85" size. Samsung's 88" KS9800 is probably the best in that range, but it's well over your budget. The LeEco UMAX 85" is a full FALD TV with a lot of great features, but there was a pretty significant backlog waiting for shipments a few weeks ago, maybe that's changed now, worth reading up in the owner's thread. It's the strongest value in an 85" set.

If you go 75" the best LCD on the market right now is the Sony ZD9, it does just about everything right, though the 3D is active. Since everyone has dropped 3D as a feature this year in their new lines for 2017 who knows if they're even going to keep releasing 3D blu-rays though, so whether or not that's a major thing for you is something to consider.

I'd also reconsider on the importance of the smart TV platform. To enjoy streamed 4K HDR content at its best you need to either use the internal apps or a connected smart device with HDR compatibility like a Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield, Playstation 4 Pro, or Xbox One S. Having it built-in is convenient and saves on device clutter. Obviously for 4K disc-based content you'd need to get a UHD Blu-Ray player, and there are a number of good options out now or coming to market soon.

I know you mentioned you're planning on using an HTPC, and it's been a while since I've followed developments there, but if things are the same the last I looked, you're not going to be able to get HDR for most content through an HTPC, and HDR is a huge benefit with these new TVs.
post #10323 of 10325 Old Today, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question LG 49" 1080p vs Hisense 50" 4k vs Hisense 50" 1080p Roku TV

I'm looking to buy a smart TV. Right now I just have a 40" Sceptre 1080p LCD. I've read that LG are one of the most reliable LED and good smart OS. I've also read that Hisense smart functions are not good and slow. Would a Hisense with Roku be any better?

Which one of these would you buy? I just want a smart TV that has a bigger screen than what I have.

LG 49LH570A - $299 Best Buy

Hisense 50H6C - $329 Best Buy

Hisense 50H4C - $299 Walmart

Thank you!

Last edited by jeffw79; Today at 01:30 PM.

post #10324 of 10325 Old Today, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post

There aren't a lot of great options for quality TVs in the 85" size. Samsung's 88" KS9800 is probably the best in that range, but it's well over your budget.
Eeek $20k is definitely out of my range. They have a 78" that's right at $10k, though. It's a lot of money for something that's on the smaller end of the size range, but if the picture quality is there I'm not opposed to it. Thoughts on that?

Quote:

The LeEco UMAX 85" is a full FALD TV with a lot of great features, but there was a pretty significant backlog waiting for shipments a few weeks ago, maybe that's changed now, worth reading up in the owner's thread. It's the strongest value in an 85" set.
I'll definitely check that out.

Quote:

If you go 75" the best LCD on the market right now is the Sony ZD9, it does just about everything right, though the 3D is active.
At $9k it's pricy for the size but a contender. Active 3D isn't a dealbreaker if the quality is there (good on crosstalk, etc). How does it compare to the Samsung KS9800?

Quote:

Since everyone has dropped 3D as a feature this year in their new lines for 2017 who knows if they're even going to keep releasing 3D blu-rays though, so whether or not that's a major thing for you is something to consider.
It's a good point. However 50%+ of my 3D use will be gaming. I've got 3D capable monitor and enjoy 3D gaming. I know the world is rapidly moving towards VR gaming instead of "just" 3D, but I enjoy traditional controls. The idea would be a living room set that lets me do 60fps 3D gaming with my gaming PC (which requires 120hz input). Being able to watch 3D movies is just a nice bonus.

Quote:

I'd also reconsider on the importance of the smart TV platform. To enjoy streamed 4K HDR content at its best you need to either use the internal apps or a connected smart device with HDR compatibility like a Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield, Playstation 4 Pro, or Xbox One S. Having it built-in is convenient and saves on device clutter. Obviously for 4K disc-based content you'd need to get a UHD Blu-Ray player, and there are a number of good options out now or coming to market soon.
After the news a few years ago of TV's "spying" on users (stories like [Can't post URL's because my account is too new - but Google Samsung Smart TV's phoning home in 2005]) I made the decision to only use displays passively. Right now I've got a PS4 (non pro) and an Amazon Fire TV (which I use for netflix + hulu + prime TV), along with a slew of older devices - backwards compatible PS3, xbox 360, Wii, Gamecube, etc. I have them all on a power strip and make sure they're 100% de-powered when not in use. I realize I'll probably need a newer device for 4k / HDR content, but right now the goal is to simply be compatible. If it costs me an extra $200 to know my TV isn't spying on me, so be it. I'm probably being unnecessarily paranoid, but the tradeoff cost doesn't seem that great.

Quote:

I know you mentioned you're planning on using an HTPC, and it's been a while since I've followed developments there, but if things are the same the last I looked, you're not going to be able to get HDR for most content through an HTPC, and HDR is a huge benefit with these new TVs.
My HTPC is quite legacy. I've got over 10TB of recorded TV shows in Windows Media Center on Win7. I got the HdHomeRun Prime as soon as it came out, and had a PCI Express CableCard tuner that came with a Sony pre-built HTPC before that. I've got NO IDEA what I'm going to do when Media Center / CableCard finally stops being supported, but, that's a conversation for another thread. HDR content will be nice, but I'd say roughly half my recorded content is SD - so I'm not used to the highest of quality.

And finally - thanks for the reply! Lots of quality feedback for me to ponder!
post #10325 of 10325 Old Today, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, all. Struggling to decide between the Vizio P65, Samsung KS8000 and Sony 930d

1. My budget is from 1500-2200
2. I will be sitting 6 feet away from the TV
3. I can fit up to a 65" TV
4. I will be watching Blu-Rays, AppleTV and playing Playstation 4 Pro on it. Also soon to get a Nintendo Switch as well.
5. Dark room

Please any help would be appreciated I am pulling my hair out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page