the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 346 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 261Likes

Old 03-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post
Yeah, well, some of us are still stuck with the dialup of broadband in rural areas. 3 ****ing megabit DSL here to be exact. No other viable option. Relying on disc media is ok for TV/movies, but as a gamer I'm getting really ****ed here. 5GB update for this, 30GB update for that. Digital games are 50-80GB downloads sometimes. etc
Yep. My dad lives about 6 miles from me and the best he can get is 1.5Mbps wireless point-to-point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjd View Post
I have been around long enough to remember 2,400 baud modems and what I wouldn't give to have a T1 at home at a blistering 1.34Mbps. I am still amazed at how far we have come in the last decade or two.
2,400 baud? That was only dream when I got my first 300 baud Volksmodem back in 1982. I used it with my TI-99/4A computer to connect to an online service called "The Source" and some early BBS's. No graphics of course, and just a 40-character text display, but it actually worked pretty decent. Through a "special offer, I got the Peripheral Expansion Box for the TI-99/4A which provided a 5.25" floppy drive and a 32K memory expansion to bring the total up to 48K. I actually used it for a home business for several years, writing Tech manuals using the TI Writer word processor and using the Microsoft Multiplan spreadsheet program for cost estimates and financial record keeping. Everything was printed on a daisy wheel printer for delivery to my customers.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 74
My wife shared with me that she is not impressed with the picture quality of our Panasonic PT-AE8000U projecting onto a 138" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket ALR screen. I love the size and immersion when projecting scope movies and the picture, while not perfect, is pretty damn good at night and better than expected during the day. We had a 65" Panasonic VT series plasma previously and a 55" Pioneer Kuro before that.

1. Budget: $5,000 max
2. Seating distance: 14'
3a. Size: as large as we can afford (78" minimum, prefer 85" +)
3b. Placement limitations: Will sit on a dedicated 80" wide x 20" deep x 28" high media cabinet
4. Uses and sources: Movies, TV, Gaming (HD/4k/3D Bluray, Netflix, Comcast X1, PS3, Xbox One, Switch)
5. Room lighting: bright / no direct sunlight during the day, dark / no lights at night.

Thanks,
Martin

Home Theater System: Panasonic PT-AE8000U; 138" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket Silver ALR, Pioneer Elite SC-75; Klipsch Reference RF-82 II, RC-62 II & RS-52 II; 2 Reaction Audio Echo 15 subs; Comcast X1 / PS3 / Switch / Xbox One
Stereo Audio System: YS-Audio Audio Experience Balanced A2; DIY ICEpower 1000ASP monoblocks; Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE; PS Audio Digital Link III; Logitech Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio GCPH; Opera Consonance LP-2.0; Mørch UP-4; Grado Sonata; PS Audio GCHA; Sennheiser HD 598

Old 03-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
2,400 baud? That was only dream when I got my first 300 baud Volksmodem back in 1982. I used it with my TI-99/4A computer to connect to an online service called "The Source" and some early BBS's. No graphics of course, and just a 40-character text display, but it actually worked pretty decent. Through a "special offer, I got the Peripheral Expansion Box for the TI-99/4A which provided a 5.25" floppy drive and a 32K memory expansion to bring the total up to 48K. I actually used it for a home business for several years, writing Tech manuals using the TI Writer word processor and using the Microsoft Multiplan spreadsheet program for cost estimates and financial record keeping. Everything was printed on a daisy wheel printer for delivery to my customers.
Proof that the good ole days left something to be desired
Old 03-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
My wife shared with me that she is not impressed with the picture quality of our Panasonic PT-AE8000U projecting onto a 138" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket ALR screen. I love the size and immersion when projecting scope movies and the picture, while not perfect, is pretty damn good at night and better than expected during the day. We had a 65" Panasonic VT series plasma previously and a 55" Pioneer Kuro before that.

1. Budget: $5,000 max
2. Seating distance: 14'
3a. Size: as large as we can afford (78" minimum, prefer 85" +)
3b. Placement limitations: Will sit on a dedicated 80" wide x 20" deep x 28" high media cabinet
4. Uses and sources: Movies, TV, Gaming (HD/4k/3D Bluray, Netflix, Comcast X1, PS3, Xbox One, Switch)
5. Room lighting: bright / no direct sunlight during the day, dark / no lights at night.

Thanks,
Martin
You should look at the 78" Samsung UN78KS9500 which is right around $5,000 right now. It has the quantum dot curved screen with deep blacks and HDR support all perfect for viewing in a dark room. You said don't want 75" and good 85" sets are over your price range.

Edit: The Sony XBR75X900E is now in stock, it's a 2017 model with FALD you should consider at $4,500. At 75" it's a little under your minimum but ............

Last edited by VA_DaveB; 03-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 PM

Liked: 0
Cool Final 3

In still looking for my next TV, I've added another contender that I've heard a lot about not only on the AVS forums but any review site in general, the 55" KS8000. BestBuy has dropped the price by $100 and if purchased before the end of the month you can get 10% back in rewards to I upped my budget from $1K to a maximum of $1,200.00.

Reading reviews on the KS8000 and the consensus is that it's a solid TV. I currently have an older Samsung and have loved it since I first got it. The two others on my list are the Vizio P55-C1 and the Sony XBR-55X850D.

Out of these three, please let me know any suggestions based on the following:

- I watch a lot of sports, cable TV (Charter Spectrum), Streaming from Chromecast and Fire Stick, Netflix and may end up getting an XBox One S or a 4K Blu Ray player on its own.
- Gaming would be a PS3, NES Classic and maybe the One S or PS4 Pro down the line.
- The lighting can be controlled pretty easily in my living room as there is no direct light. If needed I can darken the room or open it up a bit to get more light so I don't necessarily need an IPS over a VA and vice versa.
- The living room is very narrow so the viewing angle would be dead center or slightly off to the sides with a range of, I'm estimating, a 45 to 60 Degree angle at most.
- Sound is not important to me as I do have a sound bar
- Seating distance would be about 7'

So based on those items, please let me know your suggestion out of the three I mentioned or if there is something else that I should consider. Thank you
Old 03-13-2017, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharohmonk View Post
In still looking for my next TV, I've added another contender that I've heard a lot about not only on the AVS forums but any review site in general, the 55" KS8000. BestBuy has dropped the price by $100 and if purchased before the end of the month you can get 10% back in rewards to I upped my budget from $1K to a maximum of $1,200.00.

Reading reviews on the KS8000 and the consensus is that it's a solid TV. I currently have an older Samsung and have loved it since I first got it. The two others on my list are the Vizio P55-C1 and the Sony XBR-55X850D.

Out of these three, please let me know any suggestions based on the following:

- I watch a lot of sports, cable TV (Charter Spectrum), Streaming from Chromecast and Fire Stick, Netflix and may end up getting an XBox One S or a 4K Blu Ray player on its own.
- Gaming would be a PS3, NES Classic and maybe the One S or PS4 Pro down the line.
- The lighting can be controlled pretty easily in my living room as there is no direct light. If needed I can darken the room or open it up a bit to get more light so I don't necessarily need an IPS over a VA and vice versa.
- The living room is very narrow so the viewing angle would be dead center or slightly off to the sides with a range of, I'm estimating, a 45 to 60 Degree angle at most.
- Sound is not important to me as I do have a sound bar
- Seating distance would be about 7'

So based on those items, please let me know your suggestion out of the three I mentioned or if there is something else that I should consider. Thank you
If you don't need an IPS don't get one due to the poor black levels. However, this statement is unfathomable:

"- The living room is very narrow so the viewing angle would be dead center or slightly off to the sides with a range of, I'm estimating, a 45 to 60 Degree angle at most."

A 45 to 60 degree off angle situation is significant and way beyond the capabilities of any VA panel and most IPS panels. Only an old plasma or OLED can handle that. Please add some room dimensions or, better yet, a diagram.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21

For what it's worth. I asked John Archer (TV reviewer for Forbes) over twitter if the KS9800 was worth the price tag over the KS9000. He definitely believes so.

Ugh...the dreaded blue box. I will never learn how to post pics. lol Anyway, his response was..."Yes it is definitely worth the extra $. Direct lighting makes all the difference."

Last edited by Bklynblaze; 03-13-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
If you don't need an IPS don't get one due to the poor black levels. However, this statement is unfathomable:

"- The living room is very narrow so the viewing angle would be dead center or slightly off to the sides with a range of, I'm estimating, a 45 to 60 Degree angle at most."

A 45 to 60 degree off angle situation is significant and way beyond the capabilities of any VA panel and most IPS panels. Only an old plasma or OLED can handle that. Please add some room dimensions or, better yet, a diagram.
So the room is 21' x 9 1/2' with the TV being 7' away from the couch. I did my best to diagram the layout and the angle from the chair even though I mainly sit on the couch or at the dining table to watch TV. The current TV is a VA panel and it performs really well so I'm not concerned with viewing angles so much, just quality and bang for my buck. Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Room Diagram.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	2024209  
Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharohmonk View Post
So the room is 21' x 9 1/2' with the TV being 7' away from the couch. I did my best to diagram the layout and the angle from the chair even though I mainly sit on the couch or at the dining table to watch TV. The current TV is a VA panel and it performs really well so I'm not concerned with viewing angles so much, just quality and bang for my buck. Thanks again
Yes, viewing from the couch isn't a problem, the from the chair the VA panel would degrade a bit but that's not your main seating position. So eliminate the Sony since it is an IPS panel, and IMO the Samsung UN55KS8000 is your best choice over the Vizio.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you help me pick between these two?

Vizio 2016 M series 70" VS Samsung KS8000 65"

Price-wise they're both the same, and the ratings on rtings are similar too. Should I just go with the bigger one?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnuke View Post
Can you help me pick between these two?

Vizio 2016 M series 70" VS Samsung KS8000 65"

Price-wise they're both the same, and the ratings on rtings are similar too. Should I just go with the bigger one?
Samsung UN65KS8000 is the winner. The Vizio M series has a dim screen for HDR, peak brightness is quite low, and it has fewer FALD zones than the P series. If you don't sit too close, the Vizio P65-C1 is comparable to the Samsung, brighter than the Vizio M but not near the peak brightness of the Samsung. If you sit close, you might notice the Vizio's lackluster upscaling of 720P content while watching cable TV.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post
A few moving parts to this question. I Currently have a 55" Sony 850c in the Family room. Family room seating is about 12' back and some seating to the side. Max size TV in this room is 60" because of Built in.

I currently don't have any complaints with the 850c. It is bright enough for us and no complaints via off center viewing. The only real reason to upgrade is to go larger and move this TV to the room I will describe below. The only real 60" options seem to be the KS8000 and the LGUH8500. The LG can be had for about $1000 right now locally. I am leaning toward leaving the 55 850c and just purchasing a TV for the room below.

1. Budget
Max ~$1000

2. Seating distance
5-7'

3. Size/placement limitations
The TV will be on a normal height stand

4. Uses and sources
Movies, smart TV, and video games. 4k HDR. Setting up Dolby Atmos 3.1.2. 3D maybe

5. Room lighting
Can be 95% dark. Only one window that can be closed with a thick plantation shutter.

6. Extra Info
Basically taking a small 10x11 extra bedroom and attempting to create a mini theater.

I just bought a new 55" Samsung KU6290 for $500 total that I haven't opened that I can still return. May just keep it but debating getting a better TV with the deals popping up right now but this TV seems to be a lot of bang for the buck. 55 is big enough but a 65 would be better.

Debating between these deals right now but I am open to other suggestions but really do not want to jump into OLED prices.

1. LG 55 UH8500 - $850 (Passive 3d intrigues me but IPS panel in dark room scares me.)
2. LG 65 UH8500 - $1200 (See above)
3. Samsung 65 KU7000F - $1100
4. Sony 65 850c refurb - Comes with 1 year Square trade warranty and 30 day return policy - $900
5. Sony 65 930d refurb - Comes with 1 year Square trade warranty and 30 day return policy - $1050
(This TV has a chipped corner on front of stand and a 6 inch blemish on bottom of screen that is supposedly only noticeable when TV is off)
6. Keep 55" Samsung 6290 at $500

Thanks in advance for suggestions and replies.
Quote:
OK, here's what I think. Take it or leave it.

1. No - The UH8500 is fairly dull with poor black levels but a wider viewing angle.
2. No - Same as above just bigger and more expensive.
3. No - The KU7000 is usual 60 Hz Samsung judder machine and not even as bright as the cheaper KU6300 judder queen.
4. Maybe - You like your Sony 850C but it's kind of boring to have two of the same.
5. Yes - The Sony 930D would be my choice since it is the best set in your list.
6. Take it back - Its another 60 Hz Samsung judder box.
Just wanted to follow up on this and share my decision. I decided to keep the 55 850c in the living room and do a major upgrade and overspend in the other room. I picked up a Samsung 65KS9000. It is a pretty amazing TV so far.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post
Just wanted to follow up on this and share my decision. I decided to keep the 55 850c in the living room and do a major upgrade and overspend in the other room. I picked up a Samsung 65KS9000. It is a pretty amazing TV so far.
Certainly not a bad choice, enjoy!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am looking to upgrade from my Panny 55ST50 as my main viewing tv. It is in my living room that has some light off to the left of the viewing area but not bad during the day as windows have blinds and curtains to manage the light. Sunlight is not direct onto the screen.

I will be going for a 65" tv as that is the biggest I can fit. I have been debating between the Sammy 65KS8000/65KS9000, Vizio P65 or the Sony 900e. The 900e would be at the high end of my budget and I can get the Samsung TVs through EPP.

I mainly watch OTA through my Tivo and I get cable from DirectvNow on my Apple TV. I do not have any device at the moment to watch 4K but I will either get a Xbox 1S or a Fire TV and replace my Apple TV.

One potential downside is that the TV will be mounted and I have a conduit through the wall where I currently have my cables running down to the media cabinet below the TV. I have read that the One Connect box cable is not in-wall rated so that may be an issue with my setup.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Which TV review site do you trust the most? Rting.com seems to have the most thorough reviews (because of the all ratings of individual features) but there are at least 2 or 3 others. And there's Consumer Reports whose ratings are pretty simple (5 point scale) and don't always jive with Rtings.com. I'm pretty much down to either the Samsung KS8000 or the Sony X930D. Rtings has the Samsung as the clear winner but a least one site likes the Sony better. I have had zero problems with my 11 year old Sony rear projection LCD so that's my only data point on reliability.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK I'm in the market. here's what I want:

1. Budget $600
2. Seating distance ~7 feet
3. Size/placement limitations 45"-60"
4. Uses and sources - watching TV, PC connected
5. Room lighting - bright

features wanted : dual tuner, PiP, PaP, 4 or more HDMI ports, 1080P or 4K

I can't seem to find a TV with dual tuner & PiP anymore!?!?!?!

Last edited by redterror; 03-15-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, viewing from the couch isn't a problem, the from the chair the VA panel would degrade a bit but that's not your main seating position. So eliminate the Sony since it is an IPS panel, and IMO the Samsung UN55KS8000 is your best choice over the Vizio.
That's pretty much the same conclusion I kept arriving at after reading reviews. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
1. Budget: Under $3000
2. Seating distance: 16ft
3. Size/placement limitations: Can't go bigger than 65"... wall space won't allow it
4. Uses and sources: Primary use is AppleTV and PlexTV media. Secondary use would be netflix or other streaming. Sometimes bluray.
5. Room lighting: Bright light- lots of reflective problems

Been lurking around for a bit here... part of my problem is I actually look at reviews. And frequently I will find reviews on amazon that are 4.5/5 stars for 300+users that has 3/5 stars on CNET (Sony XBR65X850D is a great example). So what to believe? I love the matte/semi-gloss screens. My current samsung 55 has a glossy screen with a coating that helps, but it's not great.

That Sony is significantly under budget, but the reviews on CNET worry me... should they? What would be alternatives?

Thanks!

Last edited by saxisa; 03-15-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxisa View Post
1. Budget: Under $3000
2. Seating distance: 16ft
3. Size/placement limitations: Can't go bigger than 65"... wall space won't allow it
4. Uses and sources: Primary use is AppleTV and PlexTV media. Secondary use would be netflix or other streaming. Sometimes bluray.
5. Room lighting: Bright light- lots of reflective problems

Been lurking around for a bit here... part of my problem is I actually look at reviews. And frequently I will find reviews on amazon that are 4.5/5 stars for 300+users that has 3/5 stars on CNET (Sony XBR65X850D is a great example). So what to believe? I love the matte/semi-gloss screens. My current samsung 55 has a glossy screen with a coating that helps, but it's not great.

That Sony is significantly under budget, but the reviews on CNET worry me... should they? What would be alternatives?

Thanks!
The problem with the 850D is the IPS panel and it's inherently inferior black levels. So why not look at the new 2017 model Sony XBR65X900E with FALD for $2,500? I found this Techradar review of the 900e. It is a subjective review without any real data so take it for what it is.

At Rtings, if the look at their Reflections matte vs. glossy testing, matte/semi-gloss panel do worse with reflections than glossy screens do.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help Me Decide on Sony XBR, OLED, or another brand
I have searched the forum and couldn't find my answer so I hope some of you can give me some ideas. I realize these questions are asked all the time but hopefully you can help.

My 12 year old 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma takes an hour to warm up so I am in need of a new TV.

1. Seating is 15-16 feet from TV for center and 11 feet from off center so a 75 inch TV is optimum.
2. Mostly watch at night so the room has no natural light.

So far I am looking at:
1. Sony XBR 850D 75 inch for $2500 at BB.
2. Sony XBR 940D 75 inch for $3999 at BB.
3. LG OLED 65 inch for $2999 at BB.
4. Visio P75 C1 for $2999 at BB. - Not sure about the tablet/remote though and the fact its actually a monitor and not a TV. And I don't like the silver casing.
5. Other brands Samsung, LG, etc????

My budget is around +/- $3000. I like the 940D but I really don't want to pay $4k and the smearing issue. The 850D is right at my price but I am worried about the blacks looking gray. I love the OLED but I think 65" is too small for my viewing.

Any thoughts on what I have mentioned or add any other brands I didn't list would be greatly appreciated.

Or should I just wait until my plasma totally shuts down for good??? Right now after the hour to warm up the picture is fine.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydnewlin View Post
Help Me Decide on Sony XBR, OLED, or another brand
I have searched the forum and couldn't find my answer so I hope some of you can give me some ideas. I realize these questions are asked all the time but hopefully you can help.

My 12 year old 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma takes an hour to warm up so I am in need of a new TV.

1. Seating is 15-16 feet from TV for center and 11 feet from off center so a 75 inch TV is optimum.
2. Mostly watch at night so the room has no natural light.

So far I am looking at:
1. Sony XBR 850D 75 inch for $2500 at BB.
2. Sony XBR 940D 75 inch for $3999 at BB.
3. LG OLED 65 inch for $2999 at BB.
4. Visio P75 C1 for $2999 at BB. - Not sure about the tablet/remote though and the fact its actually a monitor and not a TV. And I don't like the silver casing.
5. Other brands Samsung, LG, etc????

My budget is around +/- $3000. I like the 940D but I really don't want to pay $4k and the smearing issue. The 850D is right at my price but I am worried about the blacks looking gray. I love the OLED but I think 65" is too small for my viewing.

Any thoughts on what I have mentioned or add any other brands I didn't list would be greatly appreciated.

Or should I just wait until my plasma totally shuts down for good??? Right now after the hour to warm up the picture is fine.

Thanks in advance!
Looking for replies on this. Similar situation ( a few feet closer and up to 20 degree angle for people on sides) but I am in a bright living room with a lot of natural light during the day and dim lighting for evening/movies. Mostly DirecTV or Netflix streaming with some streaming from my PC in various formats. Leaning towards the 940d but would break other ways. Also looked at the Vizio P series but didn't like the bezel. Need something my kids can figure out streaming on, which is probalby a lot more than me. Or should I just save a bunch of money and get a 65" KS8000? Coming from a 60" Vizio E-Series a few years old which is on its last legs.

Last edited by cartertucker; 03-20-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm looking to replace an 8 year old LG 55LH90.

1. Budget: $1000
2. Seating distance: 14ft
3. Size/placement limitations: current tv is 55" with a huge bezel. A 65" with a small bezel could easily fit
4. Uses and sources: Primary use is tv shows, netflix, dvds/bluray. Also Nintendo Wii U/Switch.
5. Room lighting: bright during daytime but not direct on screen, although mostly used in evenings.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking to buy a TV for my living room. Seating is 14' away from wall. Room is 24' x 18' with seats off axis about 10'. Very bright room during the day. But only watch tv on weekends during the day. I am looking to spend around 1600 bucks.

Wife is currently not able to really watch tv during the day anymore with this tv. We moved into a much larger/brighter home. Personally I want a bigger TV but i feel that if i buy the M70 I will wish I had a brighter tv for my wife. Currently the P65 is 1550 at costco, 1550 for the samsung and the M70 is 1650. SO there basically all the same price today.

-samsung ks8000
-Vizio M70
-Vizio P65(not sure wife likes silver bezel)

I have a 5/6 year old sharp 60" led 60le632U. If the P65 wins. What about the other 2 if the wife doesnt like the silver bezel?

After watching the rtings reviews again. Maybe I just need to be happy with the 8000. The room is very bright.

Last edited by jpolachak; 03-19-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Red face No more plasma! Boo Hoo

Hello All,

It is time to replace our aged LG 60" plasma. The model # eludes me but it is the one that was actually ISF calibrateable from 6-7 years ago. LOVE the unit but the screen burn is getting pretty distracting. A 2-4 minute pause on Amazon Prime via Roku 3 leaves a visible burn for 8-10 minutes of program viewing. Not fun.

Display sits 10'4" from the center of the U shaped pit group. Room is a basement with better than average light control for TV viewing. Room darkening drapes and no lights on gets the room to about 10-15 (lux, lumen/m2).

95% of viewing is done at night. 99.999% of movies are viewed on a separate video screen/projector. That is a BenQ W-5000 shot on a 92" Stewart Filmscreen Firehawk screen.

So what we need is a 65" or so TV for televison ( mostly from a Motorola set top box ( thanks Windstream for being our ONLY option ) some of which is lowly SD TV and looks like a monkey's butt on the LG ( think Walking dead viewed through a cheese grater!) , streaming via Roku 3, the very rare Wii ( original ) games and a very very rare concert film on the Panasonic Blu ray player.

We are not going the OLED route just based on cost. We both end up sitting off angle in the pit group. I am right at 12.5 degrees of angle and my lovely wife is at 22.5 degrees off angle on the lounger portion of the pit group.

I have read enough reviews to put myself into a state of Paralysis by Analysis. That mental masturbation has led me to look closely at 3 displays.

Samsung KS 8000 65", Sony 65" X850D, and Vizio P-65. The $1500 question is......................................

Does the 12.5 to 22.5 degree off angle viewing position make the Samsung unwatchable? Does the Sony's lesser blacks screw up dark room viewing? Does the Vizio bridge the gap? I have stood in front of all 3 in the HORRIBLE big box environments and have come away more confused than ever.

One more hitch in the giddy up. While I do believe the the concept of a full range center channel speaker, my Meadowlark Audio Heron i center is "only" 44" wide and the non-movable feet of the Vizio will not sit on top of it. I know, first world problems..............

On the radar is also the LG 8500 series LCD.

Anyone have any insight based on experience?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
So why not look at the new 2017 model Sony XBR65X900E with FALD for $2,500?
Rtings has a review out.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e
Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan999 View Post
Pretty consistent with what I had read before so it looks like a winner to me at a nice price point. They rated it better than the more expensive Samsung QLED Q7F.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can't decide on the Sony 65" 930E or 75" 940D. To those who have larger sized tv's, do you believe the extra 10 inches is worth it to sacrifice some picture quality? Having said that I know the 940D is no slouch in it's own right. Tough choice. Sitting distance will be around 8-10 feet.
Old Today, 09:43 AM

Help me choose between a Samsung 69" 8000 and vizio m 60".
It is for low light room
Seating is ~16 feet
Viewing will be more or less straight on
Budget ~1k
Uses Comcast cable X1, Netflix, Kodi & various streaming

I know the Samsung is a better tv with superior upscaling but from 16 feet will I really be able to tell?
What would you buy & will it make a difference?
Plus for Vizio - it has both Dolby HDR + HDR 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb67 View Post
Help me choose between a Samsung 60" 8000 and vizio m 60".
It is for low light room
Seating is ~16 feet
Viewing will be more or less straight on
Budget ~1k
Uses Comcast cable X1, Netflix, Kodi & various streaming

I know the Samsung is a better tv with superior upscaling but from 16 feet will I really be able to tell?
What would you buy & will it make a difference?
Plus for Vizio - it has both Dolby HDR + HDR 10

Corrected error in screen size both are 60"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects