I had my Panasonic P50G20 crap out on me, so I'm in the market for a new TV. Basically I'm trying to find something that will get me 80-90% of the way to a LG B6 OLED for a greater chunk of the price cheaper. Obviously gauging 80-90% of picture quality is a difficult task, but I figured this'd be the place to find the folks to do it :-).
To answer the questions in the OP:
1. Budget: <$1500 (since the B6 is $2k if I go too much above $1500 seems like I might as well go for that).
2. Seating distance: ~10 feet or so
3. Size/placement limitations: 55" on a TV stand
4. Uses and sources: Gaming (PS4), Movies (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Blu-Ray, Plex), Sports (Digital Over air), and TV (same as movies).
5. Room lighting: Controlled. Should be able to block most light and most use will be at night anyway. During the day may be some glare to the side.
Picture quality is important to me, but I'm not as discriminating as my taste would suggest I don't think. For instance when gaming I can't see much difference in most games between 30 and 60 fps, and I've never cared for any effect I did see from 120hz+ (never noticed anything with normal settings, and I hate interpolation) nor have I ever noticed any ghosting (I actually still don't even know what that means because of this) on a set w/ 8ms response time (never tried higher than that). 4K doesn't seem terribly important as content appears to be lacking, and I can do most all streaming above via the PS4 so the smart-ness of the TV isn't that important either. HDR, and contrast and color correctness, are the most important things to me by a wide margin (hence my plasma from before and leaning toward the OLED if I can't find a better bargain).
Also if it's helpful I'm a Costco member and live in a metro area where I have easy access to most any big box store (including things like MicroCenter, Fry's, Brandsmart, etc), and am looking to ideally get it this weekend when Memorial Day sales are on.
I'm leaning somewhat in the direction of the Samsung UN55MU7000FXZA (or 6000) since it's about a grand cheaper and seems pretty solid, but what other deals/sets should I consider, or if anyone thinks nothing will come close to my vague 80-90% of the B6 for the budget given let me know that too.