the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 353 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280Likes

post #10561 of 10562 Old Today, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusio26 View Post
Although the one thing I don't like about Vizios are the smartcast features. I can get by without the Tv Tuner, but I'd rather have apps on the TV than have to stream to it from a device.
That's what they're changing for 2017 - using a standard remote with the menus on the TV. No more tablet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10562 of 10562 Old Today, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by top_down View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking at Costco's current offerings and wondered what you all recommended for a 70-75" set to replace a 9(?) year old 67" Samsung DLP. I'm hoping I can get at least as much life out of this next tv.

Big room, lots of light through a 12' arcadia door on the north side of the room. 70% OTA, 25% Netflix and 5% DVDs. TV is on east wall and is 13' from the east facing sofa. There is another sofa facing north that is 90 degrees to the TV. Needless to say the DLP is barely watchable from this sofa during the day and I expect that will change with even the lowest cost LCD.

Looking at the $2000-3500 range. I'd prefer to buy it at Costco because they are close and I think it will be relatively easy to deal with them if there is a problem. So I think that leaves me with:

Vizio P75-C1
Vizio E75-E3
LG 75UJ657A
Samsung UN75JU7100

I might consider the Vizio E80 if they still have them at the online price - says it ended 4 days ago. It's a bit of a stretch price wise. I'd love to hear the P75 vs E80 argument since there is not much price difference.

Let me know what you think of these and if I missed anything at the store or online that I should consider. The Samsung looked good in the store but the reviews are concerning. Not crazy about the brushed gray bezel on the LG.

I'm not a purist. I simply want something bigger, brighter, sharper and with better off axis viewing in a bright room. I would hope that it will last 9 years like the DLP did. I think just about any of these will work, I just don't want to miss a key feature or end up with something that dies on me in a year or two or has some crazy lines or backlighting issues. I guess I will also need a recommendation on an OTA tuner since I gather that none of these have one.

Thanks!
I'm in the same 75-inch market. Looked at the Costo options last weekend.

LG - I thought the picture was muddy and low-contrast compared to others. It's edge-lit.

Vizio M70 - Good picture but only comes in 70-inch at Costco. You can't find a 2016 model M75 anywhere. The 2017 M75 will be out soon but at around $3000.

Vizio P75 - Costco has the 2016 model, and the soon-to-appear 2017 model will be exactly the same except it won't ship with the remote. The 2016 model will get a software upgrade this summer that will improve HDR and will put the apps on-screen like the 2017. The 2017 will probably sell for $4000 or so.

Vizio E75 - With a 60-hz refresh rate and other lower-end specs I did not consider it.

So I'm going with the 2016 P75, but not from Costco, which would charge me tax. Vizio is offering 5% off if you buy direct from them and they still have 2016's in stock. And at least where I live they would not charge tax and shipping is free. That saves me $280.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page