the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 357 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 289Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10681 of 10693 Old 06-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Member
 
dmb359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Overview:
1. Budget - around $500-$1500 (extra will be spent on our basement setup)
2. Seating distance - around 10-12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - 55" or 60", at eye level, with a fairly wide viewing angle.
4. Uses and sources - Mainly cable tv shows and sports, plus some movies/netflix over apple tv (mostly kids stuff). Sonos playbar for sound. (good upconvertion of the cable signal into a good picture would be my top priority)
5. Room lighting - Living room, fairly well lit, with windows behind the seating area facing the tv.


I don't know that I really need 4k/uhd or anything for this upstairs tv. Comcast doesn't offer it yet, and we don't really have any equipment to provide it yet. I mainly need good upconverting for all the std cable signal, a fairly wide viewing angle, and good in a well lit room.

There are 4 open box tv's that I can negotiate a really good deal on that I'm thinking about right now (but I'm open to feedback on anything). Ideally I'd like to try to find something around $1000, but could go up or down a little, I can't decide if I want to get something nicer upstairs, or save a little money and use it downstairs where we are putting in a nice setup with a 75x940e.


Sony 55x900e - close to price point and I have other Sony stuff I like (was also a x930d and x800e in the same ballpark)
LG 60UJ7700 - Similar pricepoint, larger TV
LG 55 B6P - could spend a little more and get an OLED
Vizio e60u-d3 - could save a lot of money and get a bigger screen and spend it downstairs, not sure of picture quality though



Any thoughts, recommendations, ideas?

Darren
Mancave: Sony XBR75x940e, UBP-X800, HT-ST5000, & 2x XBR43x800d (& a kegerator of course)

Last edited by dmb359; 06-22-2017 at 12:58 PM.
dmb359 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10682 of 10693 Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
Overview:
1. Budget - around $500-$1500 (extra will be spent on our basement setup)
2. Seating distance - around 10-12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - 55" or 60", at eye level, with a fairly wide viewing angle.
4. Uses and sources - Mainly cable tv shows and sports, plus some movies/netflix over apple tv (mostly kids stuff). Sonos playbar for sound.
5. Room lighting - Living room, fairly well lit, with windows behind the seating area facing the tv.


I don't know that I really need 4k/uhd or anything for this upstairs tv. Comcast doesn't offer it yet, and we don't really have any equipment to provide it yet. I mainly need good upconverting for all the std cable signal, a fairly wide viewing angle, and good in a well lit room.

There are 4 open box tv's that I can negotiate a really good deal on that I'm thinking about right now (but I'm open to feedback on anything). Ideally I'd like to try to find something around $1000, but could go up or down a little, I can't decide if I want to get something nicer upstairs, or save a little money and use it downstairs where we are putting in a nice setup with a 75x940e.


Sony 55x900e - close to price point and I have other Sony stuff I like (was also a x930d and x800e in the same ballpark)
LG 60UJ7700 - Similar pricepoint, larger TV
LG 55 B6P - could spend a little more and get an OLED
Vizio e60u-d3 - could save a lot of money and get a bigger screen and spend it downstairs, not sure of picture quality though



Any thoughts, recommendations, ideas?
If you want a wide viewing angle, eliminate the VA panel sets with their extremely narrow viewing angles. So buh bye Sony 900E and Vizio E60U-D3. The LG 60UJ7700 is a 60 Hz IPS panel with one of those sub-standard RGBW panels with poor local dimming, that are effectively 3K not really 4K. But you don't care about 4K, so keep it in the mix. The LG OLED is way better, but a bit smaller. Given those choices, I'd recommend the LG OLED.
dmb359 likes this.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #10683 of 10693 Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Member
 
dmb359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
If you want a wide viewing angle, eliminate the VA panel sets with their extremely narrow viewing angles. So buh bye Sony 900E and Vizio E60U-D3. The LG 60UJ7700 is a 60 Hz IPS panel with one of those sub-standard RGBW panels with poor local dimming, that are effectively 3K not really 4K. But you don't care about 4K, so keep it in the mix. The LG OLED is way better, but a bit smaller. Given those choices, I'd recommend the LG OLED.

Thanks for the response.

The viewing angle looks fine to me when watching the x900e at Best Buy from wide angles, it doesn't seem to get that much worse, so maybe I don't care that much or notice it as much as some. (It's mainly my kids that watch from angles anyways, my seat is pretty much straight on, lol

Good upconverting and picture quality on a std cable signal and apple tv movies would be the most important thing I would say.

Darren
Mancave: Sony XBR75x940e, UBP-X800, HT-ST5000, & 2x XBR43x800d (& a kegerator of course)

Last edited by dmb359; 06-22-2017 at 12:56 PM.
dmb359 is online now  
 
post #10684 of 10693 Old 06-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
Thanks for the response.

The viewing angle looks fine to me when watching the x900e at Best Buy from wide angles, it doesn't seem to get that much worse, so maybe I don't care that much or notice it as much as some. (It's mainly my kids that watch from angles anyways, my seat is pretty much straight on, lol.
I hear this all the time and really don't know why you can't see the difference. But if that's what you think, then don't mention viewing angles in your post.

From Rtings review of the 900E:

"This viewing angle is bad, but is fairly typical for a TV with a VA panel. When sitting to the side of the TV and viewing it on an angle, blacks will look gray and colors will look washed out, though the brightness will stay fairly constant."
dmb359 likes this.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #10685 of 10693 Old 06-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Member
 
dmb359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
I hear this all the time and really don't know why you can't see the difference. But if that's what you think, then don't mention viewing angles in your post.

From Rtings review of the 900E:

"This viewing angle is bad, but is fairly typical for a TV with a VA panel. When sitting to the side of the TV and viewing it on an angle, blacks will look gray and colors will look washed out, though the brightness will stay fairly constant."

I guess it's not that I don't see a difference, It does appear a little worse, to me it just doesn't seem as bad as people make it sound. I get that a VA panel is not as good, and that is a factor, but not a deal breaker.


As for the Vizio 60" e-series. Any benefit of an E3 over the D3?

Darren
Mancave: Sony XBR75x940e, UBP-X800, HT-ST5000, & 2x XBR43x800d (& a kegerator of course)
dmb359 is online now  
post #10686 of 10693 Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
I guess it's not that I don't see a difference, It does appear a little worse, to me it just doesn't seem as bad as people make it sound. I get that a VA panel is not as good, and that is a factor, but not a deal breaker.


As for the Vizio 60" e-series. Any benefit of an E3 over the D3?
VA panels are by far the best looking from right in front with very deep blacks. All of them are bad from off angles beyond 20 degrees or so.

The 2017 Vizio E series has a lot better motion control, both are 60 Hz with 10 FALD zones. The 55" Vizio E has an IPS panel I would assume the 60" is a VA panel but you never know until you look. Neither is in the same league as the Sony 900E in terms of anything.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #10687 of 10693 Old 06-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Member
 
dmb359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
I guess it's not that I don't see a difference, It does appear a little worse, to me it just doesn't seem as bad as people make it sound. I get that a VA panel is not as good, and that is a factor, but not a deal breaker.


As for the Vizio 60" e-series. Any benefit of an E3 over the D3?
VA panels are by far the best looking from right in front with very deep blacks. All of them are bad from off angles beyond 20 degrees or so.

The 2017 Vizio E series has a lot better motion control, both are 60 Hz with 10 FALD zones. The 55" Vizio E has an IPS panel I would assume the 60" is a VA panel but you never know until you look. Neither is in the same league as the Sony 900E in terms of anything.
Right. I'm not comparing the performance of the Vizio with the 900e. Just not sure if for my use it's worth an extra $600+.

I love the sonys, and am waiting on a 940e for my basement, just think it might be overkill for this room, which is why I'm looking at used and open box stuff, and less quality brands as well.
dmb359 is online now  
post #10688 of 10693 Old 06-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Member
 
JohnSwenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a 43" screen for my wife's sewing room.

Budget: $400
usage: TV viewing, computer monitor, Blu-Ray/DVD movies
inputs: 2 HDMI (satellite box and computer)
distance: varies all over the place, the room is 12' x 13', she can be pretty much anywhere in the room.
ambient lighting: bright

Since she will be all over the room a wide viewing angle is a must. Probably meaning IPS or equivalent.

Do not require "smart TV" connectivity, any such will be through the computer.

A 4K TV is not required.

Has to be wall mountable.

Thanks,

John S.
I found a TV for this room. I was in Walmart Monday and saw this Samsung TV that was much brighter than the rest, but still had awesome color fidelity and it even had wide angle viewing with almost no fading or color shift way off angle. And the price was only $432 for a 49".

The model was UN49M5300, which I did not recognize and there was almost nothing on it online, it must have just come out. I did find it at Samsung's site, and buried in the fine print in the spec sheet it says it is a quantum dot TV, for $432! It says it has micro dimming pro, I'm not exactly sure what that is, it sounds like some form of backlight dimming, which is probably a good thing, especially with such a bright image.

Now this is a low level TV, HD not 4K, no HDR etc, but it is a QLED panel. It is a little larger than I wanted, but for a QLED panel I'll figure that part out. I went ahead and ordered one, it is arriving Monday.

They have upped the price to $457 now, but that still seems like a steal.

Next week I'll be trying it out and doing a comparison to my Panasonic plasma S60, it is way brighter, but if I turn the brightness way down I may be able to do some form of comparison of black levels and color rendition.

John S.
JohnSwenson is offline  
post #10689 of 10693 Old 06-23-2017, 12:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung UN65MU6300 vs Sony XBR65X850E

I'm Canadian and I've narrowed down my choices to these 2 4K sets that I'll use for film (digital, Netflix) and gaming (Xbox one).

Samsung $1599 (CAD)

Sony $1999 (CAD)

Opinions?

Thank u!
BuffyMcBuff is online now  
post #10690 of 10693 Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
I found a TV for this room. I was in Walmart Monday and saw this Samsung TV that was much brighter than the rest, but still had awesome color fidelity and it even had wide angle viewing with almost no fading or color shift way off angle. And the price was only $432 for a 49".

The model was UN49M5300, which I did not recognize and there was almost nothing on it online, it must have just come out. I did find it at Samsung's site, and buried in the fine print in the spec sheet it says it is a quantum dot TV, for $432! It says it has micro dimming pro, I'm not exactly sure what that is, it sounds like some form of backlight dimming, which is probably a good thing, especially with such a bright image.

Now this is a low level TV, HD not 4K, no HDR etc, but it is a QLED panel. It is a little larger than I wanted, but for a QLED panel I'll figure that part out. I went ahead and ordered one, it is arriving Monday.

They have upped the price to $457 now, but that still seems like a steal.

Next week I'll be trying it out and doing a comparison to my Panasonic plasma S60, it is way brighter, but if I turn the brightness way down I may be able to do some form of comparison of black levels and color rendition.

John S.
A little clarity here. It's not a QLED - QLED is 4K VA panel with HDR, wide color gamut, and excellent color depth. What you bought is a 1080p with some sort of quantum dot panel. Previous quantum dots were all VA panels with limited off angle viewing, but you say the wide angle viewing is excellent so this must be an IPS panel. If it is, black levels will be mediocre and contrast ratios limited to around 1,500:1 at the high end. Good VA panels, including true Samsung QLEDs, have contrast ratios of 5,000:1 or more. And micro dimming is not real local dimming. Here's a definition of it from Rtings:

Micro dimming: A Samsung feature. Processes the video in an attempt to mimic local dimming. It doesn’t dim the backlight, but instead, changes the contrast of different areas of the picture. Video purists usually dislike it, because it messes with the video settings of the TV, changing contrast from frame to frame. We don’t recommend using it.

Anyway, I'm not saying it isn't a decent TV for the money but it isn't comparable in any way to a $2,300 55" Samsung true QLED set.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #10691 of 10693 Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
jinj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PNW
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
Right. I'm not comparing the performance of the Vizio with the 900e. Just not sure if for my use it's worth an extra $600+.

I love the sonys, and am waiting on a 940e for my basement, just think it might be overkill for this room, which is why I'm looking at used and open box stuff, and less quality brands as well.
I have the Vizio E75-E3, the picture is really good for the most part, unless the image contains a large light background of the same colour, such as the sea or a sky, it then shows blotchy grey areas around the edges of the screen.

It is annoying, it is all I look at now. It shows up in all picture modes.

I think I'm taking this back.

I looked at several Sony LCD models today, all looked better than the Vizio.
jinj is offline  
post #10692 of 10693 Old Today, 07:13 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyMcBuff View Post
I'm Canadian and I've narrowed down my choices to these 2 4K sets that I'll use for film (digital, Netflix) and gaming (Xbox one).

Samsung $1599 (CAD)

Sony $1999 (CAD)

Opinions?

Thank u!
I bought the Sony! It went on sale (for the $1999) and I get it delivered & installed in July.
BuffyMcBuff is online now  
post #10693 of 10693 Old Today, 07:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
I have the Vizio E75-E3, the picture is really good for the most part, unless the image contains a large light background of the same colour, such as the sea or a sky, it then shows blotchy grey areas around the edges of the screen.

It is annoying, it is all I look at now. It shows up in all picture modes.

I think I'm taking this back.

I looked at several Sony LCD models today, all looked better than the Vizio.
FYI I went ahead and got the Sony. It IS significantly more expensive for what seems like just an extra HDMI port but it reviews were slightly better than the Samsung and definitely better than Vizio. I'd gotten over the missing tuner (w the Vizio) but now the Sony has everything I want plus a great picture with fewer issues than other sets.

Thanks for everybody's help!
BuffyMcBuff is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off