the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 357 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 289Likes
post #10681 of 10701 Old 06-22-2017, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Overview:
1. Budget - around $500-$1500 (extra will be spent on our basement setup)
2. Seating distance - around 10-12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - 55" or 60", at eye level, with a fairly wide viewing angle.
4. Uses and sources - Mainly cable tv shows and sports, plus some movies/netflix over apple tv (mostly kids stuff). Sonos playbar for sound. (good upconvertion of the cable signal into a good picture would be my top priority)
5. Room lighting - Living room, fairly well lit, with windows behind the seating area facing the tv.

I don't know that I really need 4k/uhd or anything for this upstairs tv. Comcast doesn't offer it yet, and we don't really have any equipment to provide it yet. I mainly need good upconverting for all the std cable signal, a fairly wide viewing angle, and good in a well lit room.

There are 4 open box tv's that I can negotiate a really good deal on that I'm thinking about right now (but I'm open to feedback on anything). Ideally I'd like to try to find something around $1000, but could go up or down a little, I can't decide if I want to get something nicer upstairs, or save a little money and use it downstairs where we are putting in a nice setup with a 75x940e.

Sony 55x900e - close to price point and I have other Sony stuff I like (was also a x930d and x800e in the same ballpark)
LG 60UJ7700 - Similar pricepoint, larger TV
LG 55 B6P - could spend a little more and get an OLED
Vizio e60u-d3 - could save a lot of money and get a bigger screen and spend it downstairs, not sure of picture quality though

Any thoughts, recommendations, ideas?

Darren
Mancave: Sony XBR75x940e, UBP-X800, HT-ST5000, & 2x XBR43x800d (& a kegerator of course)

Last edited by dmb359; 06-22-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10682 of 10701 Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
Overview:
1. Budget - around $500-$1500 (extra will be spent on our basement setup)
2. Seating distance - around 10-12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - 55" or 60", at eye level, with a fairly wide viewing angle.
4. Uses and sources - Mainly cable tv shows and sports, plus some movies/netflix over apple tv (mostly kids stuff). Sonos playbar for sound.
5. Room lighting - Living room, fairly well lit, with windows behind the seating area facing the tv.

I don't know that I really need 4k/uhd or anything for this upstairs tv. Comcast doesn't offer it yet, and we don't really have any equipment to provide it yet. I mainly need good upconverting for all the std cable signal, a fairly wide viewing angle, and good in a well lit room.

There are 4 open box tv's that I can negotiate a really good deal on that I'm thinking about right now (but I'm open to feedback on anything). Ideally I'd like to try to find something around $1000, but could go up or down a little, I can't decide if I want to get something nicer upstairs, or save a little money and use it downstairs where we are putting in a nice setup with a 75x940e.

Sony 55x900e - close to price point and I have other Sony stuff I like (was also a x930d and x800e in the same ballpark)
LG 60UJ7700 - Similar pricepoint, larger TV
LG 55 B6P - could spend a little more and get an OLED
Vizio e60u-d3 - could save a lot of money and get a bigger screen and spend it downstairs, not sure of picture quality though

Any thoughts, recommendations, ideas?
If you want a wide viewing angle, eliminate the VA panel sets with their extremely narrow viewing angles. So buh bye Sony 900E and Vizio E60U-D3. The LG 60UJ7700 is a 60 Hz IPS panel with one of those sub-standard RGBW panels with poor local dimming, that are effectively 3K not really 4K. But you don't care about 4K, so keep it in the mix. The LG OLED is way better, but a bit smaller. Given those choices, I'd recommend the LG OLED.
dmb359 likes this.
post #10683 of 10701 Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
If you want a wide viewing angle, eliminate the VA panel sets with their extremely narrow viewing angles. So buh bye Sony 900E and Vizio E60U-D3. The LG 60UJ7700 is a 60 Hz IPS panel with one of those sub-standard RGBW panels with poor local dimming, that are effectively 3K not really 4K. But you don't care about 4K, so keep it in the mix. The LG OLED is way better, but a bit smaller. Given those choices, I'd recommend the LG OLED.

Thanks for the response.

The viewing angle looks fine to me when watching the x900e at Best Buy from wide angles, it doesn't seem to get that much worse, so maybe I don't care that much or notice it as much as some. (It's mainly my kids that watch from angles anyways, my seat is pretty much straight on, lol

Good upconverting and picture quality on a std cable signal and apple tv movies would be the most important thing I would say.

Darren
Mancave: Sony XBR75x940e, UBP-X800, HT-ST5000, & 2x XBR43x800d (& a kegerator of course)

Last edited by dmb359; 06-22-2017 at 12:56 PM.

post #10684 of 10701 Old 06-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

The viewing angle looks fine to me when watching the x900e at Best Buy from wide angles, it doesn't seem to get that much worse, so maybe I don't care that much or notice it as much as some. (It's mainly my kids that watch from angles anyways, my seat is pretty much straight on, lol.
I hear this all the time and really don't know why you can't see the difference. But if that's what you think, then don't mention viewing angles in your post.

From Rtings review of the 900E:

"This viewing angle is bad, but is fairly typical for a TV with a VA panel. When sitting to the side of the TV and viewing it on an angle, blacks will look gray and colors will look washed out, though the brightness will stay fairly constant."
dmb359 likes this.
post #10685 of 10701 Old 06-22-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I hear this all the time and really don't know why you can't see the difference. But if that's what you think, then don't mention viewing angles in your post.

From Rtings review of the 900E:

"This viewing angle is bad, but is fairly typical for a TV with a VA panel. When sitting to the side of the TV and viewing it on an angle, blacks will look gray and colors will look washed out, though the brightness will stay fairly constant."

I guess it's not that I don't see a difference, It does appear a little worse, to me it just doesn't seem as bad as people make it sound. I get that a VA panel is not as good, and that is a factor, but not a deal breaker.

As for the Vizio 60" e-series. Any benefit of an E3 over the D3?

Darren
post #10686 of 10701 Unread 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess it's not that I don't see a difference, It does appear a little worse, to me it just doesn't seem as bad as people make it sound. I get that a VA panel is not as good, and that is a factor, but not a deal breaker.

VA panels are by far the best looking from right in front with very deep blacks. All of them are bad from off angles beyond 20 degrees or so.

The 2017 Vizio E series has a lot better motion control, both are 60 Hz with 10 FALD zones. The 55" Vizio E has an IPS panel I would assume the 60" is a VA panel but you never know until you look. Neither is in the same league as the Sony 900E in terms of anything.
post #10687 of 10701 Unread 06-22-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

VA panels are by far the best looking from right in front with very deep blacks. All of them are bad from off angles beyond 20 degrees or so.

The 2017 Vizio E series has a lot better motion control, both are 60 Hz with 10 FALD zones. The 55" Vizio E has an IPS panel I would assume the 60" is a VA panel but you never know until you look. Neither is in the same league as the Sony 900E in terms of anything.
Right. I'm not comparing the performance of the Vizio with the 900e. Just not sure if for my use it's worth an extra $600+.

I love the sonys, and am waiting on a 940e for my basement, just think it might be overkill for this room, which is why I'm looking at used and open box stuff, and less quality brands as well.
post #10688 of 10701 Unread 06-22-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a 43" screen for my wife's sewing room.

Budget: $400
usage: TV viewing, computer monitor, Blu-Ray/DVD movies
inputs: 2 HDMI (satellite box and computer)
distance: varies all over the place, the room is 12' x 13', she can be pretty much anywhere in the room.
ambient lighting: bright

Since she will be all over the room a wide viewing angle is a must. Probably meaning IPS or equivalent.

Do not require "smart TV" connectivity, any such will be through the computer.

A 4K TV is not required.

Has to be wall mountable.

Thanks,

John S.
I found a TV for this room. I was in Walmart Monday and saw this Samsung TV that was much brighter than the rest, but still had awesome color fidelity and it even had wide angle viewing with almost no fading or color shift way off angle. And the price was only $432 for a 49".

The model was UN49M5300, which I did not recognize and there was almost nothing on it online, it must have just come out. I did find it at Samsung's site, and buried in the fine print in the spec sheet it says it is a quantum dot TV, for $432! It says it has micro dimming pro, I'm not exactly sure what that is, it sounds like some form of backlight dimming, which is probably a good thing, especially with such a bright image.

Now this is a low level TV, HD not 4K, no HDR etc, but it is a QLED panel. It is a little larger than I wanted, but for a QLED panel I'll figure that part out. I went ahead and ordered one, it is arriving Monday.

They have upped the price to $457 now, but that still seems like a steal.

Next week I'll be trying it out and doing a comparison to my Panasonic plasma S60, it is way brighter, but if I turn the brightness way down I may be able to do some form of comparison of black levels and color rendition.

John S.
post #10689 of 10701 Unread 06-23-2017, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung UN65MU6300 vs Sony XBR65X850E

I'm Canadian and I've narrowed down my choices to these 2 4K sets that I'll use for film (digital, Netflix) and gaming (Xbox one).

Samsung $1599 (CAD)

Sony $1999 (CAD)

Opinions?

Thank u!
post #10690 of 10701 Unread 06-23-2017, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
I found a TV for this room. I was in Walmart Monday and saw this Samsung TV that was much brighter than the rest, but still had awesome color fidelity and it even had wide angle viewing with almost no fading or color shift way off angle. And the price was only $432 for a 49".

The model was UN49M5300, which I did not recognize and there was almost nothing on it online, it must have just come out. I did find it at Samsung's site, and buried in the fine print in the spec sheet it says it is a quantum dot TV, for $432! It says it has micro dimming pro, I'm not exactly sure what that is, it sounds like some form of backlight dimming, which is probably a good thing, especially with such a bright image.

Now this is a low level TV, HD not 4K, no HDR etc, but it is a QLED panel. It is a little larger than I wanted, but for a QLED panel I'll figure that part out. I went ahead and ordered one, it is arriving Monday.

They have upped the price to $457 now, but that still seems like a steal.

Next week I'll be trying it out and doing a comparison to my Panasonic plasma S60, it is way brighter, but if I turn the brightness way down I may be able to do some form of comparison of black levels and color rendition.

John S.
A little clarity here. It's not a QLED - QLED is 4K VA panel with HDR, wide color gamut, and excellent color depth. What you bought is a 1080p with some sort of quantum dot panel. Previous quantum dots were all VA panels with limited off angle viewing, but you say the wide angle viewing is excellent so this must be an IPS panel. If it is, black levels will be mediocre and contrast ratios limited to around 1,500:1 at the high end. Good VA panels, including true Samsung QLEDs, have contrast ratios of 5,000:1 or more. And micro dimming is not real local dimming. Here's a definition of it from Rtings:

Micro dimming: A Samsung feature. Processes the video in an attempt to mimic local dimming. It doesn’t dim the backlight, but instead, changes the contrast of different areas of the picture. Video purists usually dislike it, because it messes with the video settings of the TV, changing contrast from frame to frame. We don’t recommend using it.

Anyway, I'm not saying it isn't a decent TV for the money but it isn't comparable in any way to a $2,300 55" Samsung true QLED set.
post #10691 of 10701 Unread 06-24-2017, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Right. I'm not comparing the performance of the Vizio with the 900e. Just not sure if for my use it's worth an extra $600+.

I love the sonys, and am waiting on a 940e for my basement, just think it might be overkill for this room, which is why I'm looking at used and open box stuff, and less quality brands as well.
I have the Vizio E75-E3, the picture is really good for the most part, unless the image contains a large light background of the same colour, such as the sea or a sky, it then shows blotchy grey areas around the edges of the screen.

It is annoying, it is all I look at now. It shows up in all picture modes.

I think I'm taking this back.

I looked at several Sony LCD models today, all looked better than the Vizio.
post #10692 of 10701 Unread 06-25-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyMcBuff View Post
I'm Canadian and I've narrowed down my choices to these 2 4K sets that I'll use for film (digital, Netflix) and gaming (Xbox one).

Samsung $1599 (CAD)

Sony $1999 (CAD)

Opinions?

Thank u!
I bought the Sony! It went on sale (for the $1999) and I get it delivered & installed in July.
post #10693 of 10701 Unread 06-25-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
I have the Vizio E75-E3, the picture is really good for the most part, unless the image contains a large light background of the same colour, such as the sea or a sky, it then shows blotchy grey areas around the edges of the screen.

It is annoying, it is all I look at now. It shows up in all picture modes.

I think I'm taking this back.

I looked at several Sony LCD models today, all looked better than the Vizio.
FYI I went ahead and got the Sony. It IS significantly more expensive for what seems like just an extra HDMI port but it reviews were slightly better than the Samsung and definitely better than Vizio. I'd gotten over the missing tuner (w the Vizio) but now the Sony has everything I want plus a great picture with fewer issues than other sets.

Thanks for everybody's help!
post #10694 of 10701 Unread 06-25-2017, 05:01 PM

Hey guys,

I'm helping a family member pick out a new TV To replace their old, rear projection Sony TV that has finally (thankfully) died. Unfortunately, they had an entertainment center custom built for the tv and can't bear to part with it, so we are going to have to find a set that fits within the center.

1. Budget

Hoping to stay under/around $1000 but open to increase if needed.

2. Seating distance

Living room - approximately 8-15 feet depending on which couch.

3. Size/placement limitations

Main limitation is entertainment unit - width is 53 1/4 inches. Height doesn't matter as we can have a stand built.

I think this will limit us to a 60" TV at the most

Doesn't matter if flat or curved, don't care about 3D, but HDR is probably cool.

4. Uses and sources

DirectTV and Netflix via an Apple TV or fire stick.

5. Room lighting

Very well lit room. Set will be exposed to nearly full, direct sunlight often.

Happy to answer any clarifying questions. She realisitically doesn't need the latest and greatest, but I want a quality set with good picture. Seems most are either 55 or 65 which may limit our options. Open to ideas and suggestions. Not sure if we should go for the new 55" TCL P series, or go for something 60"...

Last edited by mch11; 06-25-2017 at 06:45 PM.
post #10695 of 10701 Unread 06-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have a friend who had his 50" Vizio (don't know how old) kick the bucket and he urgently is looking for an affordable TV.

1) Budget - First wanted to stay around $500, but has since relaxed to $650 to temper expectations

2) Seating / Size - He's dead set on a 55".

3) Uses - Will mostly be used for non-4k gaming and Netflix content, with the occasional Blu-ray.

With his limited budget and size desire we're looking at entry level territory for the major brands. So far we're leaning into the Samsung UN55KS6290 at Best Buy for $630 right now. I know it has been on sale lower in the past, but he is hot to trot to replace his TV since he has no backup. We can't find one on display unfortunately, and have only been able to see the MU6300 in person, which looks good for the price. From reading on Rtings, it seems the MU6300 is comparable to the KU6300, and the KU6290 is almost identical to the KU6300 with some features missing (Blu-tooth).

Outside of that, we looked at the Vizio E55-E2, the LG LJ550M, and the Insignia
NS-55DR710NA17. Wondering if there are any recommendations based on his urgent timeline and limited budget. Thanks!!!
post #10696 of 10701 Unread Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually the 49" Sony XBR49X900E is 120 Hz, and has great motion control, but at $1,200 it is more than 3 times what you paid for that TCL and so not in the same ballpark.
Just to update, I found an open box 43" 800D under $500 with a coupon at the local Best Buy. Really liking it so far. I turned off all the motion enhancements. Thanks for the recommendation.
post #10697 of 10701 Unread Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sony XBR or Samsung SUHD/QLED? 75" and above

The top end XBR and QLED (the ones that cost 7k+) are not in consideration. Looking at the lower spec, but definitely want 75"+

Budget: <$5K

Have enough space in room

TV watching is mostly at night

Can't seem to figure out which one's a better TV OS - Android or Tizen? But on the other hand I watch almost everything through Fire TV so maybe I don't really care.

Don't care too much about the smart remote (Samsung) - I'm fine with a "many button" remote that Sony has, but Android TV just doesn't look great, or maybe I'm just being ignorant.

All watching will be streaming (mostly through Fire TV). I have an XBOX but I use it only for gaming.

Opinions?

Thank you all in advance
post #10698 of 10701 Unread Today, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecerberus View Post
The top end XBR and QLED (the ones that cost 7k+) are not in consideration. Looking at the lower spec, but definitely want 75"+

Budget: <$5K

Have enough space in room

TV watching is mostly at night

Can't seem to figure out which one's a better TV OS - Android or Tizen? But on the other hand I watch almost everything through Fire TV so maybe I don't really care.

Don't care too much about the smart remote (Samsung) - I'm fine with a "many button" remote that Sony has, but Android TV just doesn't look great, or maybe I'm just being ignorant.

All watching will be streaming (mostly through Fire TV). I have an XBOX but I use it only for gaming.

Opinions?

Thank you all in advance
Since you didn't mention it, I'll assume there aren't any viewing angle issues in the room so a VA panel is OK. So I'd recommend the Sony XBR75X900E fwhich is a great all-around performer for movies, sports and gaming at $3,500. The $5,000 Sony XBR75X940E is better for movies but has motion issues that affect sports and gaming. I'd recommend either of the Sonys over the Samsung QN75Q7F.
post #10699 of 10701 Unread Today, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecerberus View Post
I would also recommend the 75" 900E. Watched a DVD last night that looked great, black levels very good when viewed dead on, size is perfect. Price has also dropped $300 since my purchase 2 weeks ago, but the savings on sales tax was a wash. Pretty much everyone agrees on the 900E as a great performer. Android TV can be a little laggy/buggy at times, but a 10 second remote power off/reboot has always corrected any glitches that will hopefully get sorted out with subsequent updates. Missing on the 900E is DV (Dolby Vision) which may not matter much with the processing sony has. Scan to the 38 minute mark if the direct timing link doesnt work.

___
2017 Sony XBR75X900E | Onkyo TX-NR801 5.1 | Polk Audio front | Retired: 2006 Sony KDSR-60XBR1
post #10700 of 10701 Unread Today, 11:28 AM

1. Budget

Would like to stay as close to $400 as possible.

2. Seating distance

Approximately 8-12 feet depending on which couch, worst angle, about 30 degrees.

3. Size/placement limitations

None. Price will limit size.

4. Uses and sources

FireTV and Apple TV (Netflix, Prime, PS Vue, DTN, etc.)

5. Room lighting

Fairly dim, rarely watch during daylight hours.

I hate to do this, as I was once a very picky viewer, but I've become less so. I'm asking for a bargain pick. Right now I have an older LG (really old: on the LG site: /us/support-product/lg-32LH20) and I'm OK with it except for the size. The room it's in is small, but with my failing eyes and all my content coming from a FireTV or AppleTV with tiny on-screen fonts, it's getting a little silly to be looking at a 32" TV. I am OK with the picture quality other than the somewhat mushy blacks and some weird color tints (dark, warm scenes tend to go more green than golden yellow/orange).
post #10701 of 10701 Unread Today, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm considering updating my tv. Currently, I have a Panasonic 65v10 and I don't have many complaints, but after 7 years, I'm wondering if I'm clinging toward "old" technology for no reason. Are there any LED TVs which will give me better performance? FYI, my TV room has moderate ambient light.

I'd be looking for the following:

At least 65"
Flat screen, not curved
Possibly 4K
In the $2-$3K price range or less.

I'm not concerned with how "smart" the TV is with apps, etc. I don't need 3d. I don't care about HDR.

So, are there better options for me than my 7 y/o plasma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba
Gear in this thread