the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 293Likes

post #10801 of 10810 Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is this a good TV? LG 43UJ6300
anyone have it, pro/con?

it's cheap $429 on Best Buy right now

I don't need fancy for this room, just want a decent smart TV for watching Netflix etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 10810 Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post
is this a good TV? LG 43UJ6300
anyone have it, pro/con?

it's cheap $429 on Best Buy right now

I don't need fancy for this room, just want a decent smart TV for watching Netflix etc.
Pro - LG WebOS interface, IPS panel has somewhat wider viewing angle

Con - Low contrast IPS panel, inferior RGBW pixel structure, 60 Hz native refresh
post #10803 of 10810 Old Today, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
I don't see any "Thumbnails".

Some of the better VA panels have issues at less than 20 degrees off angle while some IPS panels are good to almost 45 degrees. Also, banding also afflicts some LCDs so there's no guarantee against it happening with one of them either. If all your seating is off to the sides, and you're a former plasma user, you should just get the LG OLED. You can always return it should the banding become an issue.
Not sure what happened to them. I have reattached here. Yeah I think the OLED is still the best choice and I'll buy from a store I'm able to return it to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_19972.jpg (263.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_19964.jpg (151.4 KB, 5 views)

post #10804 of 10810 Old Today, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike12 View Post
Not sure what happened to them. I have reattached here. Yeah I think the OLED is still the best choice and I'll buy from a store I'm able to return it to.
That room seems fairly narrow so your viewing angles do not appear to be that extreme. You could probably go with the Sony 850E or 900E which have better than average viewing angles for VA panel sets. The Sony 900E is the better of the two with decent FALD and a bright screen for HDR. The Sony 65" 900E is $2,000 vs. $3,200 for the 65" LG C7.
post #10805 of 10810 Old Today, 08:09 AM

Quote:
That room seems fairly narrow so your viewing angles do not appear to be that extreme. You could probably go with the Sony 850E or 900E which have better than average viewing angles for VA panel sets. The Sony 900E is the better of the two with decent FALD and a bright screen for HDR. The Sony 65" 900E is $2,000 vs. $3,200 for the 65" LG C7.
Yeah it is a pretty narrow space. Do you think a 65" is too large for the area? Would the 55" actually be better? The main seat is 9ft away but the end of the couch and the other chair are really close. My wife is worried it will be too big for when we have company over to watch sports and movies.

Also, how are the angles on the vizio P series? It does Dolby where the 900e doesn't.
post #10806 of 10810 Old Today, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah it is a pretty narrow space. Do you think a 65" is too large for the area? Would the 55" actually be better? The main seat is 9ft away but the end of the couch and the other chair are really close. My wife is worried it will be too big for when we have company over to watch sports and movies.

Also, how are the angles on the vizio P series? It does Dolby where the 900e doesn't.
The Vizio P has a somewhat narrower viewing angle. Also, be aware that the 55" model has an IPS panel so that one will have a very wide viewing angle, but lower contrast.

Regarding the 65" size, its up to you and your wife whether or not it is too large - a 65" 4K TV looks optimal at a little over 4 feet. Women (my wife and married daughter included) tend to think TVs are too large. They are looking at how the large panel dominates the room rather than what the viewing experience is.

Sitting close to the TV brings up the issue of upscaling. Sony has very good upscaling while Vizio's is mediocre. Sitting close to the Vizio P upscaling 720p cable TV might look a bit soft compared to a Sony or Samsung. You'll be fine from 9 feet though. But if you feel you need DV in a decent TV, the only economical choice is the Vizio P.
post #10807 of 10810 Old Today, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

I'm having the same problem but trying to decide between a 75" 850E and a 65" 900E. Main viewing distance is 9 to 10 feet but other seating is anywhere from 5 to 8 feet. I think that 65 is perfect, but can't get that 75" out of my head. I'm actually thinking the 75" might be "too big" at the 5 to 8 foot seating positions for things like 720p cable.
post #10808 of 10810 Old Today, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The Vizio P has a somewhat narrower viewing angle. Also, be aware that the 55" model has an IPS panel so that one will have a very wide viewing angle, but lower contrast.

Regarding the 65" size, its up to you and your wife whether or not it is too large - a 65" 4K TV looks optimal at a little over 4 feet. Women (my wife and married daughter included) tend to think TVs are too large. They are looking at how the large panel dominates the room rather than what the viewing experience is.

Sitting close to the TV brings up the issue of upscaling. Sony has very good upscaling while Vizio's is mediocre. Sitting close to the Vizio P upscaling 720p cable TV might look a bit soft compared to a Sony or Samsung. You'll be fine from 9 feet though. But if you feel you need DV in a decent TV, the only economical choice is the Vizio P.
Thanks for the input. If it wasn't for lack of DV I would pick up a 900e in heartbeat, but I want to be as future proof as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrim80 View Post
I'm having the same problem but trying to decide between a 75" 850E and a 65" 900E. Main viewing distance is 9 to 10 feet but other seating is anywhere from 5 to 8 feet. I think that 65 is perfect, but can't get that 75" out of my head. I'm actually thinking the 75" might be "too big" at the 5 to 8 foot seating positions for things like 720p cable.
It is a dilemma. My end seating is like 3-4 ft to the TV so 720P content won't look as good and may be overwhelming to view.
post #10809 of 10810 Old Today, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. If it wasn't for lack of DV I would pick up a 900e in heartbeat, but I want to be as future proof as possible.

It is a dilemma. My end seating is like 3-4 ft to the TV so 720P content won't look as good and may be overwhelming to view.
So if you need DV and want good upscaling for close up 720p, you've got the LG C7 OLED and the Sony 930E to consider with the Sony $400 cheaper in both 55" and 65" sizes. The Sony is way brighter and the LG has the wide angle viewing.
post #10810 of 10810 Old Today, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The color wheel on my Samsung HLP5063 is going to completely go out pretty soon, and I feel like I might be forced to "settle" for something I can grab at Walmart, and before that happens, I'm hoping to get a couple opinions, if you people don't mind me asking.

If some kind of miracle happens, and I find a 55B6P for an unbelievable price, that's what I'd really like, but that's fantasizing, haha.

That said, my assumption is that almost any sub $1000 tv will still be much better than my 2004 Samsung HLP5063....is that a good assumption?

They have the Samsung UN55MU6300 in Walmart, and it seems like a pretty nice tv, but looking at it in the store, with whatever loop they have running on it, and watching it at home, is different. I'll be honest....we don't even have a blu ray player yet, as our set is 720p, so felt it wasn't going to make a difference. The reviews I read, said that set doesn't have very good viewing angles, but our current set doesn't have the greatest either, but it works with out situation. Wouldn't the blacks, contrast ratios, and just about everything, pretty much blow away what we currently have, with the UN55MU6300?

I like what I hear about the Samsung KS8000, and that seems like a "happy medium" between the UN55MU6300 and the 55B6P, but it's still a little out the range I can afford. Hoping that shows up on some really good sale, and that will end that., but it may not

It may sound crazy, but mainly what I'm asking is.....should I end up settling for the Samsung UN55MU6300.....would any of you think it would be a night and day difference?

Thanks.

Last edited by soulweeper; Today at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page