the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 364 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 302Likes

post #10891 of 10902 Old 08-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn bacon View Post
I need some quick advice to choose a tv. It's the last piece for my home theater setup. This is my first large format tv I've purchased since 2006 which was a 720p Panasonic plasma. Loved the blacks. After much reviewing online I had narrowed it down to a Vizio P65-C1 from Costco ($2400 CDN) or a Sony 900E ($2900 CDN). I was all set to get the 900E but local Best Buy is offering $1000 off for a 65" Sony x930e ($3500 CDN).

What do I get? The 930E is more than what I budgeted but I can afford it IF it's worth it. How does it compare to the P65? My main driver for the Sony was the better upscaling performance and the higher peak nit values but im wondering if it'll be too bright? Blacks are decent but how bad will the blooming be?

My uses:
20% PS4. 20% TV viewing across cable box and 60% movies. I mostly watch downloaded 1080p content with the odd exection for a higher quality copy. Living in a temporary accommodations so my current seating distance is 7.5-8.5 feet. Soon to be moved house will have up to 12 ft away. I don't have a dedicated theater room so this is sitting in my main living room. Windows. Curtains to close at night so light control isn't great.

Thoughts:
P65 - sounds like an amazing TV but I can't find one in a store to actually see it first hand myself. DV & HDR10 a plus. Will upscaling be good enough?blacks are amazing with the FALD. Will it be bright enough for every day living room use?

930E - superior upscaling engine. More faith in the brand. Seen it in person and the blaxk detail looked good (at Best Buy). DV & HD10. Concerned by edge lit and blooming effects. Judder?

900E - honest I looked away when I saw the sale price on the 930E.

...and go!
In your current home seating distance of 7.5 to 8.5 feet you will notice the Vizio P's subpar upscaling with 720p content only but in your new house at 12 feet away you won't. The Vizio P's upscaling of 1080p is not a problem. As far as PQ goes, the 2017 Vizio P is identical to the 2016, the main difference is the replacement of the tablet with a standard remote with the apps hosted on the TV itself. The 930E is brighter, with better upscaling, and even deeper blacks. While the Vizo P has better dimming with FALD, the edge dimming used in the 930E works pretty well. Rtings found both have judder watching 24p movies at 60i/60p but thought both could be fixed with firmware updates. The Sony 900E has no judder issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10902 Old 08-15-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
In your current home seating distance of 7.5 to 8.5 feet you will notice the Vizio P's subpar upscaling with 720p content only but in your new house at 12 feet away you won't. The Vizio P's upscaling of 1080p is not a problem. As far as PQ goes, the 2017 Vizio P is identical to the 2016, the main difference is the replacement of the tablet with a standard remote with the apps hosted on the TV itself. The 930E is brighter, with better upscaling, and even deeper blacks. While the Vizo P has better dimming with FALD, the edge dimming used in the 930E works pretty well. Rtings found both have judder watching 24p movies at 60i/60p but thought both could be fixed with firmware updates. The Sony 900E has no judder issues.
You didn't make my decision any easier lol. I had been all but set to get the 900E until BB lowered the price a grand on that 930E although most of the site reviews praise the 900E saying the 930E isn't worth the huge price increase, but as I said, that price increase is all but gone. Thoughts between the 2?! How to choose lol
post #10893 of 10902 Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any Vizio XLED pro owners on here. Looking for their opinion on the TV. The reviews look good on paper on Rtings. What is unfortunate is that I could only find the M series in BB. I wish the video demo at BB on the M series tv included movie clips or other outdoor shots and not still pics. How is the PQ of this tv? What are the pros and cons that you have seen on the TV. I will use the TV mostly for movies, 5 percent gaming and 5 percent sports. The room is well lit. I currently have a 60" Samsung plasma. Thank you.

post #10894 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
sony 75xbr900e or xbr940e

I have posted several questions in both the 940 and the 900 owner threads, and have gotten some great responses, but to this point I am still undecided.

Currently I have a Samsung 65 HU8550, with the the evolution kit. Great picture. Seating about 11-12 feet, straight on. Wanting to move the Samsung to another room and hang it, and want a 75" in my "TV Room". Do not game. Watch sports, (football, baseball, basketball, hockey), blu ray, and stream with apple tv, as well as 4k blu ray disc player. Use OTA antenna.
BD player, and reciever, both HDR capable. Reciever will get a software uprade to Dolby Vision.

I have looked at both sets at Best Buy, and both look really good. I like the brightness of the 940. I used a thumb drive with some 4k pictures I took, and while at the store, viewed on both the 940 and 900. Both looked great, but the 940 really popped. BTW, I did the same test on a LGc7 OLED, and man did that look great, but just dont think I want a 65" set, but it sure looked good.

The question/issue I am hung up on is the disconnect between the rtings review of the 940e, specifically the motion. They give it a really poor score. The 900 gets a really good score with motion. Owners of both sets seem to br very happy, and the 940e owners indicate that motion isnt a poblem. Why the disconnect with rtings? I tend to believe the users experiences, vs rtings, but nevertheless, rtings, seems to be the goto place to validate. I typically try to hold on to a set at least 5 years, and am trying to smart with the purchase, like 940 gets a software uprgade to Dolby Vision, the 900 doesnt. I dont know if that will be a big deal or not, but who knows?

So, I struggle with paralyses by analysis , and wanted to post here to get another perspective to give me another view point.

Thanks
post #10895 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
I have posted several questions in both the 940 and the 900 owner threads, and have gotten some great responses, but to this point I am still undecided.

Currently I have a Samsung 65 HU8550, with the the evolution kit. Great picture. Seating about 11-12 feet, straight on. Wanting to move the Samsung to another room and hang it, and want a 75" in my "TV Room". Do not game. Watch sports, (football, baseball, basketball, hockey), blu ray, and stream with apple tv, as well as 4k blu ray disc player. Use OTA antenna.
BD player, and reciever, both HDR capable. Reciever will get a software uprade to Dolby Vision.

I have looked at both sets at Best Buy, and both look really good. I like the brightness of the 940. I used a thumb drive with some 4k pictures I took, and while at the store, viewed on both the 940 and 900. Both looked great, but the 940 really popped. BTW, I did the same test on a LGc7 OLED, and man did that look great, but just dont think I want a 65" set, but it sure looked good.

The question/issue I am hung up on is the disconnect between the rtings review of the 940e, specifically the motion. They give it a really poor score. The 900 gets a really good score with motion. Owners of both sets seem to br very happy, and the 940e owners indicate that motion isnt a poblem. Why the disconnect with rtings? I tend to believe the users experiences, vs rtings, but nevertheless, rtings, seems to be the goto place to validate. I typically try to hold on to a set at least 5 years, and am trying to smart with the purchase, like 940 gets a software uprgade to Dolby Vision, the 900 doesnt. I dont know if that will be a big deal or not, but who knows?

So, I struggle with paralyses by analysis , and wanted to post here to get another perspective to give me another view point.

Thanks
The Rtings review measured a exceptionally long response time (100% Response Time = 37.4 ms) for the 940E, so motion blur may be seen depending on the content. For movies they said it wasn't an issue, but found that it causes a long (but faint) trail following moving objects in sports viewing and 60 fps games. They also noticed some judder watching 24p movies from 60i/60p sources (Blu rays were OK), but many viewers won't notice that. For comparison, Rtings measured the 100% Response Time for the 900E at only 10.7 ms and noted no judder from any 24p source. Since you have highlighted sports viewing, I'd suggest think twice about the 940E as I would expect those faint trails to be especially visible when watching a hockey puck traveling across the white ice. Maybe you could download some 4K hockey video and give that a try at the store.
post #10896 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
The Rtings review measured a exceptionally long response time (100% Response Time = 37.4 ms) for the 940E, so motion blur may be seen depending on the content. For movies they said it wasn't an issue, but found that it causes a long (but faint) trail following moving objects in sports viewing and 60 fps games. They also noticed some judder watching 24p movies from 60i/60p sources (Blu rays were OK), but many viewers won't notice that. For comparison, Rtings measured the 100% Response Time for the 900E at only 10.7 ms and noted no judder from any 24p source. Since you have highlighted sports viewing, I'd suggest think twice about the 940E as I would expect those faint trails to be especially visible when watching a hockey puck traveling across the white ice. Maybe you could download some 4K hockey video and give that a try at the store.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think for myself, anyway, that the potential motion issue with the 940 overrides the the lack of Dolby Vision on the 900. HDR with the 900 I am sure will be "good enough". (especially since I am not seeing HDR now) As much as I would like to have the 940, I believe Ill just have to pass.

Thanks again.
post #10897 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think for myself, anyway, that the potential motion issue with the 940 overrides the the lack of Dolby Vision on the 900. HDR with the 900 I am sure will be "good enough". (especially since I am not seeing HDR now) As much as I would like to have the 940, I believe Ill just have to pass.

Thanks again.
I agree with your decision but would wait for the 900E to go on sale and then purchase it. I think the 900E is an excellent all around TV at a great price.
twssas likes this.
post #10898 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ZT60 to 75"LCD

Hi All

While a new member, I have been lurking for awhile to inform a decision to replace our 2013 Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 plasma, which is starting to have some performance issues and is a bit small for the viewing wall in our new home. So we are in the market for a new 75” set.

Our viewing is limited to OTA HD antenna for local channels and, when available, HDR & UHD (“4K”) streaming for everything else (Apple TV & Roku applications for HBO, ESPN, Netflix, etc.). We are expecting shortly a new generation of Apple TV to bring HDR10 and Dolby Vision along with 4K, so our next set must be “future proof” to that extent

We never watch BlueRay discs or other DVD’s or desire a “Home Theater" experience. We do no gaming. We watch some college football and golf but no other sports. The room has the normal lighting found in a family room and the viewing angle is never more than 15 degrees or so off center from a distance of about 10 feet.

The latest reviews and “shoot out” results would point to an OLED display but I don’t want to spend over $10K for this upgrade and the 75”/77” offerings of Sony and LG are well above that amount. That leaves the LCD offerings to consider. Towards that end, I have four questions to pose in hopes of a response by those of you with relatable experience.

First, my research to date has led me to focus on the two Sony choices - namely, the Z9 and the 940E. The recent tests of these models by Rting and HD Test would suggest that the benefits, if any, that might be gained FOR OUR VIEWING with the Z9 are not justified by its substantial cost differential over the 940E. And since these reviews were published, the differential has increased by way of the price reduction of the 940E down to $4500. We could spend the difference on a substantial audio upgrade to our system. Does this seem a clear conclusion in comparing the picture quality of the two sets?

Second, the only concerning criticism with the 940E is its presentation of motion. Should that be a worry for viewing college football?

Third, is there another brand or model we should be considering besides these two Sony products?

Fourth, what should be our realistic expectations as to picture quality in transitioning from the ZT60 to these more modern LCD displays?

My thanks in advance for your consideration and comments. Cheers
post #10899 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have a chance to get a Sony 900e for $1079. It's only a 49 inch though. I'd prefer the 900e over anything else but am torn about the size. Ideally I'd wait until they go on sale but I move at the end of the month.

Do I get the 49inch Sony 900e or go with the 2017 Vizio 55 P?

I'm trying to figure out whether I'd miss those extra inches.
post #10900 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague17 View Post
I have a chance to get a Sony 900e for $1079. It's only a 49 inch though. I'd prefer the 900e over anything else but am torn about the size. Ideally I'd wait until they go on sale but I move at the end of the month.

Do I get the 49inch Sony 900e or go with the 2017 Vizio 55 P?

I'm trying to figure out whether I'd miss those extra inches.
Since the Vizio P 55" has an IPS panel I think you really need to take a look at it to see how much the FALD compensates for the low contrast of the IPS panel. The Sony 900E will definitely be better as far as black levels and brightness goes but it is smaller.
post #10901 of 10902 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Since the Vizio P 55" has an IPS panel I think you really need to take a look at it to see how much the FALD compensates for the low contrast of the IPS panel. The Sony 900E will definitely be better as far as black levels and brightness goes but it is smaller.

Yeah I need to head out to Best Buy hopefully this weekend if my back can handle it. I've been reading through various threads and stuff but I think it's time to go see them in person. I'm leaning towards the Sony right now. If I can come up with a way to get the 55 900e that'd be perfect.

The room the tv is going in is pretty bright during the day. It's fairly small. More the size of a large bedroom. I'll be watching tv in both a bright room and in the dark.

I appreciate the time you take to help all of us out.
post #10902 of 10902 Old Today, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for this information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page