the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 367 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 308Likes

post #10981 of 11008 Old 09-09-2017, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Budget 43" 4K - Which one to choose?

Recently my poor Plasma broke and I've tried to get some help on fixing it, but it looks risky to try and buy parts. I love the picture, but I suppose it's time to move on.

So, I'm looking for something cheap to replace it. Our living room is small and a 43" inch is perfect. I tried going super cheap and got a Toshiba 1080P at Best Buy for $225, but when I got home I was really disappointed. A total step back.

So, I'm thinking I should go for a 4K tv, but there's a few choices in my price range. Here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: $300 - $500 (hopefully under $450)
Size: 43"
Use: Mostly streaming Netflix and Streaming sports
Distance: About 6-7 feet.
Room: Not crazy sunny, but not pitch black. We also prefer a lower brightness than most

I've read reviews for the Samsung 6300MU, Vizio E43-E2, and TCL S405. Every review site seems to prefer a different one.

Thoughts?
tjwolf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 11008 Old 09-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by keliason View Post
Recently my poor Plasma broke and I've tried to get some help on fixing it, but it looks risky to try and buy parts. I love the picture, but I suppose it's time to move on.

So, I'm looking for something cheap to replace it. Our living room is small and a 43" inch is perfect. I tried going super cheap and got a Toshiba 1080P at Best Buy for $225, but when I got home I was really disappointed. A total step back.

So, I'm thinking I should go for a 4K tv, but there's a few choices in my price range. Here's what I'm looking for:

Room: Not crazy sunny, but not pitch black. We also prefer a lower brightness than most

I've read reviews for the Samsung 6300MU, Vizio E43-E2, and TCL S405. Every review site seems to prefer a different one.

Thoughts?
All are VA panels with limited viewing angles compared to your old plasma. None of these small budget sets will be perfect, all are 60 Hz with limited 24p judder control. Only the Vizio E43-E2 has any local dimming but it's FALD isn't very good. The MU6300 has the highest contrast ratio and is the brightest of your choices. Right now Dell Small Business has the Samsung UN43MU6300 43" 4K HDR TV for $499.99 with a $100 Dell Gift Card and free shipping.
post #10983 of 11008 Old 09-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

Been struggling with a decision between two TVs over the past week, and am hoping the experts on here can help.

A bit of background: My current HT setup consists of an old 46" Samsung LCD TV (60 Hz), a Sony AVR and the Energy Take Classic 5.1. I don't remember the model #s of the TV and AVR as I bought all this back in 2009. They are still working fine, but it is time for an upgrade and to move the current setup into one of the bedrooms.

My plan is to upgrade the entire system by Black Friday 2017, including new display, AVR and PS4 Pro. New speakers and sub as well, but I'm ok with getting those piece by piece. Perhaps starting with a pair of Elac Debut B6s.

Anyway, for the purposes of this thread, I'm looking for advice on choosing between the Vizio P-series 55" and 65" (both 2016 models).

1. Budget for the display is flexible, but want to keep EVERYTHING listed above under $3000 (CAD)
2. Seating distance is 8-9'.
3. Size/placement limitations - will not be wall mounted. Mostly just my wife and I will be using this system so not very wide viewing angles.
4. Uses and sources - Netflix, sports, movies mostly (70%) and ps4 pro gaming (30%)
5. Room lighting - it is a fairly dark room.

I know the 55" is an IPS panel and the 65" is VA, but I'm wondering if the upgrade from my 8 yr old TV even to the 55" IPS will be so huge that I won't care. This will save me approx $700 (price diff between the two) to put towards a higher end AVR and/or speakers. Or do people thing the extra expenditure on the VA panel will be worth it at the cost of a lower quality sound setup?

FWIW, I was hoping to get the TCL P607, but it is hard to acquire in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

post #10984 of 11008 Old 09-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuudz View Post
Hi all,

Been struggling with a decision between two TVs over the past week, and am hoping the experts on here can help.

A bit of background: My current HT setup consists of an old 46" Samsung LCD TV (60 Hz), a Sony AVR and the Energy Take Classic 5.1. I don't remember the model #s of the TV and AVR as I bought all this back in 2009. They are still working fine, but it is time for an upgrade and to move the current setup into one of the bedrooms.

My plan is to upgrade the entire system by Black Friday 2017, including new display, AVR and PS4 Pro. New speakers and sub as well, but I'm ok with getting those piece by piece. Perhaps starting with a pair of Elac Debut B6s.

Anyway, for the purposes of this thread, I'm looking for advice on choosing between the Vizio P-series 55" and 65" (both 2016 models).

1. Budget for the display is flexible, but want to keep EVERYTHING listed above under $3000 (CAD)
2. Seating distance is 8-9'.
3. Size/placement limitations - will not be wall mounted. Mostly just my wife and I will be using this system so not very wide viewing angles.
4. Uses and sources - Netflix, sports, movies mostly (70%) and ps4 pro gaming (30%)
5. Room lighting - it is a fairly dark room.

I know the 55" is an IPS panel and the 65" is VA, but I'm wondering if the upgrade from my 8 yr old TV even to the 55" IPS will be so huge that I won't care. This will save me approx $700 (price diff between the two) to put towards a higher end AVR and/or speakers. Or do people thing the extra expenditure on the VA panel will be worth it at the cost of a lower quality sound setup?

FWIW, I was hoping to get the TCL P607, but it is hard to acquire in Canada.

Thanks in advance.
Get the 65". You don't need wide viewing angles so the 65" is both larger and has a far superior contrast ratio so a far better video experience. You can upgrade the sound system incrementally as funds become available.
post #10985 of 11008 Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Following the questions on a 43" Screen ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keliason View Post
Our living room is small and a 43" inch is perfect. I tried going super cheap and got a Toshiba 1080P at Best Buy for $225, but when I got home I was really disappointed. A total step back.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
All are VA panels with limited viewing angles compared to your old plasma. None of these small budget sets will be perfect, all are 60 Hz with limited 24p judder control. Only the Vizio E43-E2 has any local dimming but it's FALD isn't very good. The MU6300 has the highest contrast ratio and is the brightest of your choices. Right now Dell Small Business has the Samsung UN43MU6300 43" 4K HDR TV for $499.99 with a $100 Dell Gift Card and free shipping.

Keliason - since I have been going nuts with this exact dilemma I would LOVE it if you had bought a set/gone and really looked at sets and had any new insights to provide.

I've scoured this site and Wirecutter and Rtings and it is indeed a puzzlement to find a good 43" 4K TV with HDR10 and WCG. It appears the mfrs just decided NOT to make any 43" that can compete with the 55" and above crowd AFAICT. Either they figure that peeps buying that size don't give a sh*te (VERY untrue) or, positively, it's because they know that at that "small" size the truly great tech just isn't worth it as you just don't have enough screen real estate to make it valuable. If so I REALLY wish this would be explained in a way that makes me go "okay I get it but what's the best we can have in that size."

I've kind of been agonizing between: TCL 43S405 ; SonyXBR43X800D/XBR43X800E; Samsung UN43KU6300/UN43KU7000/ UN43MU6300 or the LG 43UJ6300/43UH6100.

So Keliason or DaveB or anyone else, any insights appreciated.

Alley
post #10986 of 11008 Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl View Post
Keliason - since I have been going nuts with this exact dilemma I would LOVE it if you had bought a set/gone and really looked at sets and had any new insights to provide.

I've scoured this site and Wirecutter and Rtings and it is indeed a puzzlement to find a good 43" 4K TV with HDR10 and WCG. It appears the mfrs just decided NOT to make any 43" that can compete with the 55" and above crowd AFAICT. Either they figure that peeps buying that size don't give a sh*te (VERY untrue) or, positively, it's because they know that at that "small" size the truly great tech just isn't worth it as you just don't have enough screen real estate to make it valuable. If so I REALLY wish this would be explained in a way that makes me go "okay I get it but what's the best we can have in that size."

I've kind of been agonizing between: TCL 43S405 ; SonyXBR43X800D/XBR43X800E; Samsung UN43KU6300/UN43KU7000/ UN43MU6300 or the LG 43UJ6300/43UH6100.

So Keliason or DaveB or anyone else, any insights appreciated.

Alley
You haven't defined how you will be using the TV or any room factors. Generally you want a VA panel for the higher contrast ratio unless you need the wider viewing angle of an IPS panel. In any event, I would eliminate the LG 43UJ6300/43UH6100 which are low contrast IPS panel, non WCG sets, with the less accurate RGBW pixel format. Also I would eliminate the TCL 43S405 which is a dim VA panel set without WCG. The Samsung UN43KU6300/UN43MU6300 are VA panel sets with high contrast ratios that don't have WCG, while the VA panel UN43KU7000 has WCG. Regarding the two Sony sets, both have WCG, and the XBR43X800D has a VA panel while the XBR43X800E is IPS. So if you must have WCG, look at the 2016 Samsung UN43KU7000 and Sony XBR43X800D with VA panels or the 2017 IPS panel Sony XBR43X800E. Again, none of these are top performers, you need to go bigger for a better set as you've already found.
post #10987 of 11008 Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello! I want to buy a new TV to take advantage of the Apple TV 4K. I was thinking of buying a TV that supported both HDR10 and Dolby Vision because the Apple TV 4K supports both. While I wouldn't be objected to spending ~$3000 on the LG OLED B7/C7, it's always nice to go cheaper if it's pretty good. I was eyeing the Sony 900E but it doesn't support Dolby Vision. I was eyeing the Vizio P65 but I'm a little wary of Vizio as a brand itself.

Are there any other options I should take a look at? Thanks!

Budget: $1000 - $3200 ($3200 to cover the cheaper LG OLEDs)
Seating Distance: 9 Feet. But this might get further as I'm looking to buy my own place and I imagine my future living room will be bigger than my apartment.
Size/placement limitations: None.
Uses and sources: I'll be using it mostly to watch movies on Apple TV 4K. I was hoping to watch new movies in 4K and HDR. Will be using Netflix, HBO Go, and Amazon Prime (whenever they come out). Would like a TV that supported both Dolby Vision and HDR10.
Room lighting: I like watching movies in the dark. It'll be primarly used late night because I have a busy schedule.

* I don't really care about TV onboard sound quality. I currently have a Vizio 2.1 Soundbar and would reuse it. I will buy a nicer soundbar down the road.
post #10988 of 11008 Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmanx View Post
UPDATE: SO, looking at 65" LED TV's in the $1,500 to $1,800 range, there are some nice sales coming up for Labor Day in the US. I'm pretty sure I will get one of these two in the next couple of days:

Sony XBR65X900E, $1,798.
Vizio P65-E1, $1,549.

I'm pretty sure it will be the Sony for me.
And indeed, it was. My X900E was delivered on Saturday. I am NOT a good candidate to review it because the TV I just replaced was a 17-year old rear projection TV. This new TV is SO much brighter and SO much more colorful! This new TV could probably be a bust among reviewers and I'd still be impressed with it because of what I used to watch. I haven't done any adjustments on it yet - I'm just using the movie preset. It's not perfect, but it's not too far off. The sound is meh, but I'll be hooking up my home theater system to it. I'm happy - and that's what counts to me!
post #10989 of 11008 Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You haven't defined how you will be using the TV or any room factors. Generally you want a VA panel for the higher contrast ratio unless you need the wider viewing angle of an IPS panel. In any event, I would eliminate the LG 43UJ6300/43UH6100 which are low contrast IPS panel, non WCG sets, with the less accurate RGBW pixel format. Also I would eliminate the TCL 43S405 which is a dim VA panel set without WCG. The Samsung UN43KU6300/UN43MU6300 are VA panel sets with high contrast ratios that don't have WCG, while the VA panel UN43KU7000 has WCG. Regarding the two Sony sets, both have WCG, and the XBR43X800D has a VA panel while the XBR43X800E is IPS. So if you must have WCG, look at the 2016 Samsung UN43KU7000 and Sony XBR43X800D with VA panels or the 2017 IPS panel Sony XBR43X800E. Again, none of these are top performers, you need to go bigger for a better set as you've already found.

As usual VA_DaveB you're right. I LOVE having a master just machete through the weeds!

Just to fill in blanks: Where the TV must go means IT CANNOT be bigger than 43" PERIOD. I will sit approximately 8.5 feet from the set which will be used purely for TV watching: Cable, Netflix, USB-loaded shows and movies. I am NOT a gamer - I need to have a life IRL sadly - and I do NOT watch sports on any regular basis.

The VA/IPS panel is an issue, but as it's MY TV 95% of the time I can be selfish and get a VA. I agree with your points on the LGs which is why they were bottom of the list already! And I just confirmed the lack of WCG on the TCL myself, and while it's technically HDR, I'd say it's more HDR compatible and sort of the equivalent of upscaling as it is not good enough on dimming or lighting for REAL HDR so I've been inclined to drop it for that. So look! three down already.

It does seem as if my best choices are the Samsung UN43KU7000 or the Sony XBR43X800D. Having done a fair amount of reading, including the complaints, I'm heavily inclined to go with the Sony.

Open questions: Any NEW 43" sets on the horizon worth considering? Any particular issues/needs I might not have considered that mean I should pick a different set?

I can't thank you enough VA_DaveB for your incisive help on this. I've dithered and you cut to it!

Alley

P.S. My ONLY nit is your "not top performer" throw-in. Not that you're wrong, but it kinda feels like blaming someone allergic to peanuts for preferring a Milky Way to a Snickers bar. Saying "if you're not limited there's better out there" when the limitations are what they are, just makes the requester feel bad!
post #10990 of 11008 Old 09-13-2017, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
P.S. My ONLY nit is your "not top performer" throw-in. Not that you're wrong, but it kinda feels like blaming someone allergic to peanuts for preferring a Milky Way to a Snickers bar. Saying "if you're not limited there's better out there" when the limitations are what they are, just makes the requester feel bad!
It is what it is. Just like buying a car. You look at the Audi but you buy the Hyundai that fits your needs and/or budget so you don't get the top performer, you what you need. Like the Rolling Stones sang almost 50 years ago when I bought my first color TV:

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need "

So as long as you get what you need, it's all good. No need to delude yourself that it's the best.
post #10991 of 11008 Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all, long time lurker and know the people here are by far the best resources in one place to ask about a new UHDTV so here go per the required format:

1. Budget
$1200

2. Seating distance
12'

3. Size/placement limitations
None other than it will be wall mounted.

4. Uses and sources
Video streaming, planning on a Xbox S or Xbox X soon for gaming and Blu-Rays/UHD discs, possibly PC gaming so would like Dolby Vision or equivalent, 120hz native refresh rate and not some "effective refresh rate" type gimmick.

5. Room lighting
No direct sunlight, scale of 1-10 maybe a 6 on a sunny day, primarily controlled via dimmable lighting otherwise.

I'd add too that I need a 65" as I'd prefer not to have to wear my glasses and the wall it's going on is quite large.

Been researching most of the day here at work (haha) and so much marketing and jargon it's getting frustrating to see which monitors have a native 120hz refresh rate, HDR versions, and the whole backlighting thing is abit crazy...my current Vizio from about 7 years ago I can see fogging or some light bleeding in around the edges during a dark scene at night and it's super annoying.

Thanks!
post #10992 of 11008 Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Folks, need some advice. We just moved into a new house and need a tv for our living room off the kitchen (one big open space essentially). The living room/kitchen face south, so will get alot of light and direct sunlight at times. There's a massive picture window in the living room (at least 12'w x 6'h), then a double sliding glass door, then a really big window in the kitchen. All these face south, so tons of light.

Viewing distance will be about 12-14', depending on the seat. My wife has told me she wants a 65" tv, since that's what we currently have and she's gotten used to that size.

I will also mention the new house will have a dedicated media/HT room upstairs. Currently we have a 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 65" from our old house, which we both were more than happy with.

So I've got two options. Move our current 65" Sammy downstairs and make that the main TV, and get a new 65" upstairs, or keep our current one upstairs, and get something for downstairs. I'm not sure how well our JS8500 will do with that much light though, our old house didn't get any direct light after the morning (faced west I think), so that wasnt' ever an issue.

The downstairs TV doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, just 4K capable. Def needs to be good quality, but not top of the line. The one upstairs in the media room is def the more important one. But if we are going to spend say $1500 for a tv for downstairs, then I'd at least look at what options we had for getting a new unit for upstairs (maybe OLED, etc.)

I don't do any gaming, we dont' sports, mainly just Xfinity cable, and Netflix and Amazon streaming.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!
post #10993 of 11008 Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
Folks, need some advice. We just moved into a new house and need a tv for our living room off the kitchen (one big open space essentially). The living room/kitchen face south, so will get alot of light and direct sunlight at times. There's a massive picture window in the living room (at least 12'w x 6'h), then a double sliding glass door, then a really big window in the kitchen. All these face south, so tons of light.

Viewing distance will be about 12-14', depending on the seat. My wife has told me she wants a 65" tv, since that's what we currently have and she's gotten used to that size.

I will also mention the new house will have a dedicated media/HT room upstairs. Currently we have a 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 65" from our old house, which we both were more than happy with.

So I've got two options. Move our current 65" Sammy downstairs and make that the main TV, and get a new 65" upstairs, or keep our current one upstairs, and get something for downstairs. I'm not sure how well our JS8500 will do with that much light though, our old house didn't get any direct light after the morning (faced west I think), so that wasnt' ever an issue.

The downstairs TV doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, just 4K capable. Def needs to be good quality, but not top of the line. The one upstairs in the media room is def the more important one. But if we are going to spend say $1500 for a tv for downstairs, then I'd at least look at what options we had for getting a new unit for upstairs (maybe OLED, etc.)

I don't do any gaming, we dont' sports, mainly just Xfinity cable, and Netflix and Amazon streaming.

It's a big living room/kitchen space, so any viewing angles over 20 degrees? VA panels have limited viewing angles before the color shifts and the black levels tumble. Curved VA panels such as your JS8500 are even worse than flat panels in such a space. If you will be viewing at off angles, you might consider an IPS panel especially if you don't plan to be viewing in total darkness. You'd have to go to $1,600 to get a real 4K LG IPS set like the 65SJ8500, cheaper ones have the lower resolution RGBW pixel structure. Some 2016 Sony IPS panel sets like the XBR65X750D and XBR65X850D are also still available. All these IPS panel sets have low contrast ratios and none are very bright, but from you description, it seems as if the sunlight will be coming from the side and not directly into the screen. Local dimming is only on the 65SJ8500 but it is mediocre edge dimming.

If there aren't any off angles then a VA panel is OK, and the Sony XBR65X900E would be a good choice if you can go for the current $2,000 price. It's quite bright, with a very high contrast ratio and has FALD. I don't see a curved screen working in that large space regardless of viewing angles. You should sit directly in front, and close to, a curved screen IMO.
gondey99 likes this.
post #10994 of 11008 Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
It's a big living room/kitchen space, so any viewing angles over 20 degrees? VA panels have limited viewing angles before the color shifts and the black levels tumble. Curved VA panels such as your JS8500 are even worse than flat panels in such a space. If you will be viewing at off angles, you might consider an IPS panel especially if you don't plan to be viewing in total darkness. You'd have to go to $1,600 to get a real 4K LG IPS set like the 65SJ8500, cheaper ones have the lower resolution RGBW pixel structure. Some 2016 Sony IPS panel sets like the XBR65X750D and XBR65X850D are also still available. All these IPS panel sets have low contrast ratios and none are very bright, but from you description, it seems as if the sunlight will be coming from the side and not directly into the screen. Local dimming is only on the 65SJ8500 but it is mediocre edge dimming.

If there aren't any off angles then a VA panel is OK, and the Sony XBR65X900E would be a good choice if you can go for the current $2,000 price. It's quite bright, with a very high contrast ratio and has FALD. I don't see a curved screen working in that large space regardless of viewing angles. You should sit directly in front, and close to, a curved screen IMO.
Hey Dave,

The TV will sit at the "skinnier" end of the rectangle that makes up the kitchen/living room, so there shouldn't be any seats that are way off axis. Normally just my wife and I, so those seats def wouldn't be. BTW also, our JS8500 is a flat panel, not curved. Maybe you're thinking of the 9500?

I think we will set up our 8500 for the time being downstairs anyway while I finish the media room, so that will give us an idea of how well it will work or not in that location. In the meantime I'll take a look at that Sony...
post #10995 of 11008 Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
As usual VA_DaveB you're right. I LOVE having a master just machete through the weeds!

Just to fill in blanks: Where the TV must go means IT CANNOT be bigger than 43" PERIOD. I will sit approximately 8.5 feet from the set which will be used purely for TV watching: Cable, Netflix, USB-loaded shows and movies. I am NOT a gamer - I need to have a life IRL sadly - and I do NOT watch sports on any regular basis.

The VA/IPS panel is an issue, but as it's MY TV 95% of the time I can be selfish and get a VA. I agree with your points on the LGs which is why they were bottom of the list already! And I just confirmed the lack of WCG on the TCL myself, and while it's technically HDR, I'd say it's more HDR compatible and sort of the equivalent of upscaling as it is not good enough on dimming or lighting for REAL HDR so I've been inclined to drop it for that. So look! three down already.

It does seem as if my best choices are the Samsung UN43KU7000 or the Sony XBR43X800D. Having done a fair amount of reading, including the complaints, I'm heavily inclined to go with the Sony.

Open questions: Any NEW 43" sets on the horizon worth considering? Any particular issues/needs I might not have considered that mean I should pick a different set?

I can't thank you enough VA_DaveB for your incisive help on this. I've dithered and you cut to it!

Alley

Just buy both and return the one you like least. That what I did!!!
I got the x800d and the mu6300. The Sony's colors were better. But, for regular 1080i cable content it couldn't match the Samsung's upscaling ability from a viewing distance of 3 ft. as I use it in the bedroom on a night stand located on the side of my bed. But, from 8ft you probably won't notice the jagged text the Sony produces and may like it's color better. But, only you can decide!!
post #10996 of 11008 Old 09-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:

So looking at the Vizio M and P series and they actually seem pretty good overall and affordable but still can't decide as I was hoping to find the TCL P series in a 65" but it's been canceled.

Looking at reviews from rtings.com and the TCL S405 seems like a great deal with above average quality overall.

Thoughts?
post #10997 of 11008 Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majindan007 View Post
So looking at the Vizio M and P series and they actually seem pretty good overall and affordable but still can't decide as I was hoping to find the TCL P series in a 65" but it's been canceled.

Looking at reviews from rtings.com and the TCL S405 seems like a great deal with above average quality overall.

Thoughts?
Meant to quote my own post, sorry.
post #10998 of 11008 Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey Dave,

The TV will sit at the "skinnier" end of the rectangle that makes up the kitchen/living room, so there shouldn't be any seats that are way off axis. Normally just my wife and I, so those seats def wouldn't be. BTW also, our JS8500 is a flat panel, not curved. Maybe you're thinking of the 9500?

I think we will set up our 8500 for the time being downstairs anyway while I finish the media room, so that will give us an idea of how well it will work or not in that location. In the meantime I'll take a look at that Sony...
Sorry I was thinking KS8500, which is curved. These manufacturers just can't stick a model number format or keep from occasionally mixing VA and IPS panes in the same model not to mention using different manufacturers for the same size panels. Yes a flat VA panel will work fine in a narrow room with no off angles. The Sony 900E is a great mid-range set for general purpose viewing.
post #10999 of 11008 Old 09-14-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Buying another TV. Already have an OLED in 65, now want a big (70+) inch set for a second setup. Room has two out of four walls with windows, so always expecting some light leakage through blinds, etc. Rarely, if ever, true dark viewing. Narrow room configuration meaning viewing angles aren't a big deal. Not super sensitive to exterior design. Looking for great colors, brightness, HDR implementation, and prefer to minimize reflections. Any thoughts? Seems like when doing my desk research this is one of the most debated TV segments. Would do OLED again if it were available in this size and if near black performance/uniformity weren't such an issue, but am trying to keep it to approx. 2-4k. Thoughts much appreciated!
post #11000 of 11008 Old 09-14-2017, 02:01 PM

Liked: 14
the "help me choose an LCD" thread

I can buy a 78" Samsung KS9800 for $3800 demo at Best Buy. Floor manager said that's lowest system will allow him to go. That's putting in the tv has a scratch and the remote is missing and is in fair condition. It's actually in great condition.
No Dolby Vision, which is beautiful oj my LG E6P. However, it's big and beautiful. Only thing I saw close was Sony's x940E @ $4,400 with Dolby Vision.

Which way would you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11001 of 11008 Old 09-15-2017, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoooth View Post
I can buy a 78" Samsung KS9800 for $3800 demo at Best Buy. Floor manager said that's lowest system will allow him to go. That's putting in the tv has a scratch and the remote is missing and is in fair condition. It's actually in great condition.
No Dolby Vision, which is beautiful oj my LG E6P. However, it's big and beautiful. Only thing I saw close was Sony's x940E @ $4,400 with Dolby Vision.

Which way would you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go new, and get the x940e (unless the extra size is very important). I love my KS8000 and the KS9800 is only better than that. But The X940E is a beautiful set too. Has a 120hz 1080p input, say if you ever want to use it for a PC monitor or gaming @ 1080p. The latter reason is why I replaced my KS8000 with a larger X850E (KS is going to bedroom). Personally, I also like android TV better than Tizen.
jdsmoooth likes this.
post #11002 of 11008 Old 09-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the 65 ks9800 is the same price as the sony 65 xbr900e. Which do you recommend? I know the samsung ks 9800 was their flagship form 2016. Is it better then the new sony? especially at the same price point????? Thank you.
post #11003 of 11008 Old 09-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotics4fun View Post
Buying another TV. Already have an OLED in 65, now want a big (70+) inch set for a second setup. Room has two out of four walls with windows, so always expecting some light leakage through blinds, etc. Rarely, if ever, true dark viewing. Narrow room configuration meaning viewing angles aren't a big deal. Not super sensitive to exterior design. Looking for great colors, brightness, HDR implementation, and prefer to minimize reflections. Any thoughts? Seems like when doing my desk research this is one of the most debated TV segments. Would do OLED again if it were available in this size and if near black performance/uniformity weren't such an issue, but am trying to keep it to approx. 2-4k. Thoughts much appreciated!
Been researching the xbr900e and probably going to pull the trigger; any reason to look at an alternative set? Thanks, appreciate the wisdom of the forums.
post #11004 of 11008 Old 09-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post
the 65 ks9800 is the same price as the sony 65 xbr900e. Which do you recommend? I know the samsung ks 9800 was their flagship form 2016. Is it better then the new sony? especially at the same price point????? Thank you.
Are you a fan of curved panels? If you have any off-angle viewing, the curve makes the normally bad viewing angles of VA panels even worse. If you'll be viewing straight on and like the curve, then no problem. Another issue is the FALD isn't very well implemented, and isn't any better than the 900E even though it has many more zones. The Vizio P has better FALD and for really excellent FALD you need to look at the Sony 940E and Z9D.

Personally, I don't care for curved TVs, and the flat screen Sony 900E is an excellent all-around performer in terms of sports, cable TV upscaling, motion control, and HDR with decent FALD.
post #11005 of 11008 Old 09-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotics4fun View Post
Been researching the xbr900e and probably going to pull the trigger; any reason to look at an alternative set? Thanks, appreciate the wisdom of the forums.
The 900E is a great choice, but if you're looking at any size other than 55" you should also give the Vizio P a look. I would rule out the 55" Vizio P since it has an IPS panel, unless of course, you need wider viewing angles. While I think the 900E is better all around, the Vizio P has better FALD.
post #11006 of 11008 Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Quote:
Are you a fan of curved panels? If you have any off-angle viewing, the curve makes the normally bad viewing angles of VA panels even worse. If you'll be viewing straight on and like the curve, then no problem. Another issue is the FALD isn't very well implemented, and isn't any better than the 900E even though it has many more zones. The Vizio P has better FALD and for really excellent FALD you need to look at the Sony 940E and Z9D.

Personally, I don't care for curved TVs, and the flat screen Sony 900E is an excellent all-around performer in terms of sports, cable TV upscaling, motion control, and HDR with decent FALD.
I kind of like the curve. I'd be sitting in the sweet spot about 9 ft. Away.coming from a 2011 65 inch Panasonic plasma. 90 % gaming 10% Detroit Lions.
post #11007 of 11008 Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I kind of like the curve. I'd be sitting in the sweet spot about 9 ft. Away.coming from a 2011 65 inch Panasonic plasma. 90 % gaming 10% Detroit Lions.
Good night for the Lions tonight and if you like the curve, get the curve!
post #11008 of 11008 Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM

Liked: 10
Currently using a low end Plasma Panasonic Tc-P50C2 I bought back in 2010. I have been toying with getting a 4k player and moving up to a 4k TV.

I would probably be looking for a 55 inch maybe as big as a 60 inch max. Since my budget would likely cap out around $1200 or so I am a bit worried that the plasma will look better than most LCD TV's I can afford to buy.

Any TV's you think I should look at?

I have considered trying the TCL P605 just because it seems pretty good for the price and obviously is much less than my budget and maybe saving for a higher end TV a few years from now. Of course keeping my Plasma is also a possibility and maybe shooting for a OLED a few years from now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page