the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 368 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 309Likes

post #11011 of 11021 Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Solohead: There are so many cliches that are appropriate "you get what you pay for", "only you know if you should stretch your budget", etc. Any of those TV's will be fine for casual viewing, but once you start learning/investigating the quality differences there will be upward pressures on your budget.

So it comes down to how much time do you/family spend watching TV, and how much you are willing to spend (after you upgrade your Netflix subscription to 4K).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 11021 Old 09-21-2017, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmanx View Post
And indeed, it was. My X900E was delivered on Saturday. I am NOT a good candidate to review it because the TV I just replaced was a 17-year old rear projection TV. This new TV is SO much brighter and SO much more colorful! This new TV could probably be a bust among reviewers and I'd still be impressed with it because of what I used to watch. I haven't done any adjustments on it yet - I'm just using the movie preset. It's not perfect, but it's not too far off. The sound is meh, but I'll be hooking up my home theater system to it. I'm happy - and that's what counts to me!
The x900e is very highly reviewed. Almost the same performance of a 930e at a fraction of the price. Have fun with your new purchase!
post #11013 of 11021 Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi all - here are my specific circumstances:

• Looking for a replacement for a living room (have separate basement theater) circa 2006 Panasonic Plasma 42" monitor.
  • Don't want to change the size by much, so 43-49".
  • AppleTV 4K and Broadcast TV primary uses with occasional movies (my itunes purchased HD/4K collection).
  • I want to be prepared for more 4K, HDR10/Dolby Vision usage in the near future.
  • The room is WIDE with several angled seats. Greater than 20d angle mandatory.
  • The room is mixed light and cant be dark during the day but no direct sun. Daytime viewing as well as nighttime viewing.
  • Dont care about sound or smart functions (soundbar and settops in place).
  • Budget: $900 but would like cheaper options I have seen in this thread and others I have not seen mentioned like the LG UJ7700 49....but need better understanding specific to my needs.

Thanks for any input!!!!!

post #11014 of 11021 Old 09-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
60" HDTV options

Hey folks! Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

We just had a new mantle installed and it is time to get a slightly bigger TV than the 51" we had before. Problem is, seems most brands make the most options in 55" and 65", and the dimensions of a 60" are much better, since we have a center channel for audio that still must fit in the space. The 55" doesn't seem like a substantial enough increase to warrant the cost and a 65" can't fit while retaining the center channel.

Soooo...... wondering if anyone has opinions on which is the better TV. The price difference is insignificant to me, just want to know the better option:

Sony KD60X690ESKU
LG 60UJ7700

I lean Sony, because I have a feeling it is a "safer" or more durable brand, but that could be off base. I would say we use the TV for:
- 40% family watching shows or kids shows
- 40% sports - all kinds - tennis, football & basketball most common
- 20% movies, for which we have a really fun mid-range surround sound system w Paradigm speakers/Hsu Sub

Does anybody have an opinion here OR another TV for consideration? I can spend a little more, if it is worth it. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of 60" options.
post #11015 of 11021 Old 09-23-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Also, I should mention my existing 51" TV is a Samsung Plasma from 3-4 years ago. I have never had any real complaints about its performance, so if it is likely these options are equal or better to my existing TV, that would be helpful, too.
post #11016 of 11021 Old 09-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

60" TV's seems to be going away with the more common sizes being 49", 55", 65", and 75". You do need to think short and medium term about what overall will fit best.

There will likely some picture quality loss by replacing the plasma with the two on your list, but your will gain 4K capabilities. Another 60" that you may want to consider is the Visio E60-E3. It is rated higher than the two on your list but will not match a plasma.

A compromise to a 55" will offer a lot more alternatives, and then price will be the only limiting factor. Suggest you set a budget and rigidly stick to it as the features and performance can suck you into spending more than originally planned.
post #11017 of 11021 Old 09-24-2017, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am in the process of setting up a Dolby Atmos family room, and would like either a 65" or 75" Sony. Viewing range is about 14'.

Which of the following would be your choice? My budget is $3K-$5K for the TV.

65" XBR65X930E
65" XBR65Z9D
75" XBR75X940E

I'm open to hearing about other brands as well, but my AV engineer is suggesting a Sony. Thanks!
post #11018 of 11021 Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Best for that distance would be a 75". Better of all 3 is the Z9D, so that eliminates the X930e.

What is the room lighting, viewing angles, and material being watched?
post #11019 of 11021 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it has been decided !

Went to a local shop again and had the opportunity to view the sets I was thinking of side by side.
The source was just regular TV cable via a set-top box, so what basically is going to be 90% of our viewing.

The Sony 55XE9005 (XE90) was just SOOOOOOOO much better then all the panels around it, that is was just ridiculous.

Now to look for a sweet deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Solohead: There are so many cliches that are appropriate "you get what you pay for", "only you know if you should stretch your budget", etc. Any of those TV's will be fine for casual viewing, but once you start learning/investigating the quality differences there will be upward pressures on your budget.

So it comes down to how much time do you/family spend watching TV, and how much you are willing to spend (after you upgrade your Netflix subscription to 4K).
post #11020 of 11021 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solohead View Post
The Sony 55XE9005 (XE90) was just SOOOOOOOO much better then all the panels around it, that is was just ridiculous.
Good choice, it was certainly on the top step of those that your were considering.
post #11021 of 11021 Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I'm looking for an opinion on here about which display to buy. Money, combined with inventory at my local wholesaler has my options narrowed down to 2 2016 Samsung sets (both are the same price):

65" 65KS800D
or
70" 70KU6300

I've read reviews on each of them and am on the fence as to whether the additional brightness and HDR rendering capability of the 8000 series is worth 5 inches off the size. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these sets? These are likely open box deals, since that's what my guy tends to get. Is there anything in particular I should be checking for before signing for one of these?

For context, my couch is about 11 feet from my TV, and the majority of the TV time is spent on Netflix / other streaming sources, with a bit of video games thrown in every few days.

I'd appreciate any advice you all can provide. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page