the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 370 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 313Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11071 of 11136 Old 10-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
I'm looking at the possibility that I will need to replace my bedroom TV soon. My 40D550 Samsung is starting to show signs of panel problems. It's an AAO1 panel, so it wasn't the best available. (I didn't feel like playing the panel lotto for a rarely used TV at the time) So, I'm looking at Samsung's 6300 line to replace it. I'm eyeing the 40" and 43" screens as possibles. From what I understand from rtings, the 40" is a VA panel while the 43" is an IPS panel. I see merits to both techs so I'm a bit torn. I'm currently using my bedroom TV for Netflix and Switch gaming. (lower res games look better on the smaller screen) and I may one day convert it to a PC monitor as well. Off angle performance is probably the biggest weakness of my current display, but I also know that the AAO panels were worse than the VA panels in this regard, so I kept it in the running.
You could also look at the IPS panel Sony KD43X720E which has even lower input lag than the Samsung UN43MU6300 for gaming, and has better motion control and performs better as a PC monitor.
VA_DaveB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11072 of 11136 Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
lewlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are there any 75" displays that respond more like a "commercial monitor" to remote commands, in particular, discrete input selections. Being stubborn, I would like to have direct control over my components as I do with my plasma monitor. It's not that I can't navigate on-screen menus, I just don't want to if I don't have to.
tia
lewlew is offline  
post #11073 of 11136 Old 10-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew View Post
Are there any 75" displays that respond more like a "commercial monitor" to remote commands, in particular, discrete input selections. Being stubborn, I would like to have direct control over my components as I do with my plasma monitor. It's not that I can't navigate on-screen menus, I just don't want to if I don't have to.
tia
The Sony XBR75X900E has an "Input" button on the remote to display and select the input source. Not totally direct on the remote itself, but you don't have to navigate through a series of menus to get there.
VA_DaveB is offline  
 
post #11074 of 11136 Old 10-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
lewlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
The Sony XBR75X900E has an "Input" button on the remote to display and select the input source. Not totally direct on the remote itself, but you don't have to navigate through a series of menus to get there.
Thanks for the response even if it was rather unsatisfying.

Are there any commercial display monitors?
lewlew is offline  
post #11075 of 11136 Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew View Post
Thanks for the response even if it was rather unsatisfying.

Are there any commercial display monitors?
So you want a remote with individual buttons for each input connection? Pushing one button to display all the selections and then pressing another button to select the one you want is too much?

I understand you not wanting to wade through a series of menus to get to the input selections since that is annoying, but Sony has an Input button so you don't have to do that. Older Samsungs had a Source button to quickly select inputs but the newer remotes do not.

Commercial displays are available. Here are links to a few.

LG 75UH5C

Samsung DM75E

Planar UltraRes
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11076 of 11136 Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,823
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
I would not get an IPS panel for a bedroom TV since viewing is in the dark and you don't need off-angle viewing. And the P is far better than the M. What features of the Vizio do you want?
soooooooo, as the tradeoff....You mentioned the 2017 M series not being as good as the Ps, but also the P55 has an IPS panel which you wouldn't recommend. So as a bedroom TV in pure darkness would you still recommend the P or the M series at that point (since the M is a VA screen for 2017) or is there another option out there I'm missing (since samsung pretty much priced their Decent TVs out of the market as the over inflated Q series)

just for clarification this will be for Blu-ray/4K UHD playing only, I won't watch 60i/p sources at all as I cut the cord years ago. That and i'm not sensitive to judder
wormraper is offline  
post #11077 of 11136 Old 10-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
soooooooo, as the tradeoff....You mentioned the 2017 M series not being as good as the Ps, but also the P55 has an IPS panel which you wouldn't recommend. So as a bedroom TV in pure darkness would you still recommend the P or the M series at that point (since the M is a VA screen for 2017) or is there another option out there I'm missing (since samsung pretty much priced their Decent TVs out of the market as the over inflated Q series)

just for clarification this will be for Blu-ray/4K UHD playing only, I won't watch 60i/p sources at all as I cut the cord years ago. That and i'm not sensitive to judder
So since the 60 Hz judder issues of the Vizio M aren't a problem for you should go for the VA panel 55" M over the IPS panel 55" P. Another option to consider in your range and size is the TCL 55P607 (TCL 55P605 at Best Buy).
wormraper likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11078 of 11136 Old 10-10-2017, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,823
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
So since the 60 Hz judder issues of the Vizio M aren't a problem for you should go for the VA panel 55" M over the IPS panel 55" P. Another option to consider in your range and size is the TCL 55P607 (TCL 55P605 at Best Buy).

cool, that's what I was wondering... The ONLY thing that I'm wondering on is HOW much is the viewing angel thing a problem for the VA panels? I'll be looking up wards at the tV (it's a couple of feet above my seated head height on the bed) and that was always a NASTY problem with the old LG I used to have (which I switched out years ago to a sammy)
wormraper is offline  
post #11079 of 11136 Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Newbie
 
bridgesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a 55” display.

Trying to decide between the Vizio M55, the P55 or 60” KS800D still at Sams. Willing to consider others.

I am not a videophile and my 40” Sharp Quattron still looks fine to me.

Most viewing is Comcast and Netflix or Amazon streaming.

Normal living room setup.

Thanks in advance.
bridgesh is offline  
post #11080 of 11136 Old 10-11-2017, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
cool, that's what I was wondering... The ONLY thing that I'm wondering on is HOW much is the viewing angel thing a problem for the VA panels? I'll be looking up wards at the tV (it's a couple of feet above my seated head height on the bed) and that was always a NASTY problem with the old LG I used to have (which I switched out years ago to a sammy)
Yes VA panels have off-angle viewing degradation both horizontally and vertically. With the screen 2 feet above your head and assuming the TV is 8 feet away the angle would only be less than 15 degrees which should not be a problem. If the TV is further away, the off angle gets even smaller, closer and it increases. IPS panels also have some vertical angle degradation which commonly referred to as IPS glow.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11081 of 11136 Old 10-11-2017, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,823
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Yes VA panels have off-angle viewing degradation both horizontally and vertically. With the screen 2 feet above your head and assuming the TV is 8 feet away the angle would only be less than 15 degrees which should not be a problem. If the TV is further away, the off angle gets even smaller, closer and it increases. IPS panels also have some vertical angle degradation which commonly referred to as IPS glow.
sweet. it's 12 feet away... thanks for your help. the M55 is only $669, which isn't too horrible. I just want a good 4K set for HDR 4K discs and Blu-rays, so as long as this isn't any worse than the P55 for those purposes I'm golden
wormraper is offline  
post #11082 of 11136 Old 10-11-2017, 05:42 AM
Senior Member
 
doug goldberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lake Zurich, IL
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
75" For Family room

I want to replace an ~4yr old Vizio 65E series with a 75" 4K. Viewing distance 8-12 ft. well it room (sky lights etc). Best value I have seen is the Visio 75M series now at C-Co for 2K. Don't really want to spend a ton more on this. Any better suggestions? Mostly C-cast and streaming from Amazon and Netflix. The M looks like the best value in a FALD 4K at that size. Thoughts?
doug goldberg is offline  
post #11083 of 11136 Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug goldberg View Post
I want to replace an ~4yr old Vizio 65E series with a 75" 4K. Viewing distance 8-12 ft. well it room (sky lights etc). Best value I have seen is the Visio 75M series now at C-Co for 2K. Don't really want to spend a ton more on this. Any better suggestions? Mostly C-cast and streaming from Amazon and Netflix. The M looks like the best value in a FALD 4K at that size. Thoughts?
At your $2K price, the Vizio M is you best choice for a 75" FALD 4K TV. It is much better than the lower priced E version, and the next higher up P version and Sony 900E are over $3K. The other 75" sets in your price range either have mediocre edge dimming or are direct lit with no dimming.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11084 of 11136 Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
doug goldberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lake Zurich, IL
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
At your $2K price, the Vizio M is you best choice for a 75" FALD 4K TV. It is much better than the lower priced E version, and the next higher up P version and Sony 900E are over $3K. The other 75" sets in your price range either have mediocre edge dimming or are direct lit with no dimming.


Thanks Dave. I thought this was the case but I have not followed the market very closely. The Vizios that I own now have been stone reliable and its hard to beat C-CO's extra warranty and return policy.
doug goldberg is offline  
post #11085 of 11136 Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Okay, So I found my two deals and am going to bite the bullet on one of them today. I found a Samsung UN78KS9500 for $3850 total including tax delivered, from Vann's on Amazon. Or a local dealer can get me the UN82MU8000 for $3258 including tax. I like supporting the local but am leaning towards the KS9500. 9500 is brighter if you look at Rtings.com and curved ( not big deal) the MU8000 is 3 inches bigger a 2017 model and $600 less. Seems like 2016 to 2017 not a big deal. Give me some thoughts Quick
erik braucht is offline  
post #11086 of 11136 Old 10-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik braucht View Post
Okay, So I found my two deals and am going to bite the bullet on one of them today. I found a Samsung UN78KS9500 for $3850 total including tax delivered, from Vann's on Amazon. Or a local dealer can get me the UN82MU8000 for $3258 including tax. I like supporting the local but am leaning towards the KS9500. 9500 is brighter if you look at Rtings.com and curved ( not big deal) the MU8000 is 3 inches bigger a 2017 model and $600 less. Seems like 2016 to 2017 not a big deal. Give me some thoughts Quick
Well actually 4 inches bigger 78 vs. 82. As long as the curve is OK with you and you're will to spend the extra $600, the KS9500 with the quantum dot panel is the better of the two. The edge dimming isn't very good on either, but the KS9500 has higher peak brightness for HDR.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11087 of 11136 Old 10-12-2017, 06:11 AM
Member
 
THE BIG SITT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking at replacing my 4 year old 60" LG plasma due to the picture quality downgrading over time. Having dealt with some fairly bad image retention over the last 4 years, I'm cautious about jumping in with an OLED. So here are the sets I'm choosing between:

All sets are 65", as thats the largest I can fit in the area (unless someone knows of a comparable 70", 75" wont fit).

Vizio P series

Sony 900e

Sony 930e

LG OLED B7

The vast majority of the time the tv will be used by my wife and kids. But when I am home, I will use it to watch sports, play some Xbox One (X eventually), and the wife and I will watch some Netflix every once and a while. When I will be watching the tv, the room will probably be dimly lit. Due to the setup of the room, off angle viewing will be fairly important, although my chair is pretty much dead center

I think I will be satisfied with the Vizio, but I fear the off angle viewing will be an issue for my wife sitting at an angle. Which makes me lean towards the 900e. But then I see I lose Dolby Vision moving to the 900e, so I think about the 930e. But then at that point, I'm spending so much that I may as well get the OLED. But then the image retention issues scare me away from the OLED, and then I'm reminded that the OLED is about twice as much as the Vizio, so I'm back at the Vizio...

Help!
THE BIG SITT is online now  
post #11088 of 11136 Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
Looking at replacing my 4 year old 60" LG plasma due to the picture quality downgrading over time. Having dealt with some fairly bad image retention over the last 4 years, I'm cautious about jumping in with an OLED. So here are the sets I'm choosing between:

All sets are 65", as thats the largest I can fit in the area (unless someone knows of a comparable 70", 75" wont fit).

Vizio P series

Sony 900e

Sony 930e

LG OLED B7

The vast majority of the time the tv will be used by my wife and kids. But when I am home, I will use it to watch sports, play some Xbox One (X eventually), and the wife and I will watch some Netflix every once and a while. When I will be watching the tv, the room will probably be dimly lit. Due to the setup of the room, off angle viewing will be fairly important, although my chair is pretty much dead center

I think I will be satisfied with the Vizio, but I fear the off angle viewing will be an issue for my wife sitting at an angle. Which makes me lean towards the 900e. But then I see I lose Dolby Vision moving to the 900e, so I think about the 930e. But then at that point, I'm spending so much that I may as well get the OLED. But then the image retention issues scare me away from the OLED, and then I'm reminded that the OLED is about twice as much as the Vizio, so I'm back at the Vizio...

Help!
The Vizio P, Sony 900E and 930E are all viewing-angle challenged VA panels at the 65" size. The 55" Vizio P is an IPS panel with a wider viewing angle but severely reduced contrast ratio. For the plasma viewing angle you're used to, only the LG OLED will fit the bill.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11089 of 11136 Old 10-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm looking for reliability info on vizio sets, specifically the e55-e1 and m55 lines. The info I find everywhere is all good for out of the box reviews but there's a fairly high level of complaints. Is there actually a higher failure rate in vizios or is this a perceived "squeaky wheel gets the oil review" effect? I'm sure for every 10 bad reviews there's 100 good ones that weren't written. But since I've started shopping for a TV, I have noticed a number of vizio tvs in the return line at costco.
For the price, it's very appealing, and I suppose from costco, the 2 year out the door warranty they offer is really good vs the 1 year standard, but if there's a better quality screen for a little more money, I'd rather spend it up front than have to worry about taking it down, putting it back in the box if I kept it.. and going through the trouble of returning it.

My viewing area is very straight on with where the tv will sit, so view angle is not terribly important, quality of picture is (gaming, tv, movies, sports), and of course reliability.


current tv is an old samsung 40" 720p. Looking for definite jump to 4k for ps4 and bluray viewing.
sklurk is offline  
post #11090 of 11136 Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Replacing a 46" G10 panny plasma.


1. Budget: Up to $2500 USD
2. Seating distance: 12-20 ft (!)
3. Size/placement limitations: none, long room. Mostly viewed straight on. Usually only 1-2 viewers. Have articulating mount.
4. Uses and sources: Mostly TV 720p/1080i, HTPC monitor for ripped BR/DVDs and web surfing, infrequent PS3/PC games. Mostly low quality content 480p-1080p. Canceled my netflix account. May cut the cord and go back to streaming one day.
5. Room lighting: Large adjacent south facing windows but under shade and with blinds and curtains. Mixed daytime and nighttime use

Other:
Will be the biggest but not the main TV. SO uses another room during the day. I use it in the afternoon, nights and weekends for TV, watching movies, and as main my pc monitor 46" at 12 ft (=16 deg) on a stand. Intend on mounting new tv to wall (+2ft) and may push couch back to +6ft. New total distance may be as far as 20ft!
Expecting to sit closer when needed to use as PC.

Considering Vizio E70 or E75 however I dont like judder and not too thrilled with using casting for controls. I like darker movies, horror/scifi, B&W classics however current panny suffers from rising voltage which kills the contrast. Not sure if IPS black levels would be a problem.



For comparison i have old LN40D630 Samsung and LG 55LB5500
HaroldHintern is offline  
post #11091 of 11136 Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Member
 
barbja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Austin, TX, US
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to replace a (still functional) 15yo 37" 720p commercial Panasonic plasma that's in my bedroom. Its in an armoire that the Panasonic maxes out -- the widest that the TV can be is 36.75" (real width, not diagonal). I'd like to get a 4k HDR because, as you can see, I keep my TVs for a Loonnng time. However, that severely reduces my choices. Until I read the not so good reviews, I was thinking of getting the 40" Samsung 6300 (not HDR). Now I'm considering the 7000. However, that shiny bezel is giving me pause.

Background:
Ultimately I'd like to replace a 14yo, very similar 52" 1080i commercial Panasonic plasma that I have in my living room. I brought home a 55" OLED when they first came out with flat ones. I returned it because I didn't like it $5k better than my old one (which, ironically, had cost $1k more than that!). I watch TiVo content almost exclusively though; if I was comparing Blu-ray content, there would be no match of course. Now that going bigger is a reasonable price and live TV looks a little better on OLEDs, I'd like to take that plunge again.

I thought I could ease myself into this purchase by replacing my bedroom TV (psychologically wise, not picture quality wise -- I know I can't compare what's not even a local dimming LCD to an OLED).

Do you think that the 40" Samsung 7000 is a good choice, or am I asking for trouble? Will I be taking my nice, smooth plasma and replacing it with a juttery TV that blows my retinas?

Budget: <$1k
Environment1: mostly evening viewing; dark
Environment2: evening viewing is on-axis. daytime is not (walking all around the room doing stuff)
Distance: ~12 feet
Source: TiVos
Restriction: 36.75" wide (real, not diagonal)

Last edited by barbja; 10-13-2017 at 08:48 AM.
barbja is offline  
post #11092 of 11136 Old 10-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
lewlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
So you want a remote with individual buttons for each input connection? Pushing one button to display all the selections and then pressing another button to select the one you want is too much?

I understand you not wanting to wade through a series of menus to get to the input selections since that is annoying, but Sony has an Input button so you don't have to do that. Older Samsungs had a Source button to quickly select inputs but the newer remotes do not.

Commercial displays are available. Here are links to a few.

LG 75UH5C

Samsung DM75E

Planar UltraRes

It's not too much, but it is what I have been used to since my first 503 14 years ago. This would seem to be somewhat backward relative to the "old days" of plasma.

On another note, how much concern should I have about access to Dolby Vision?
Is this another VHS/BETA, HD-DVD/BD, etc. war, or will UHD discs come with both HDR10 and Dolby Vision?
If I get an OPPO 203 player will it decode Dolby Vision and send a useful signal to a flat panel that is not Dolby Vision enabled?
If Netflix has a movie that's encoded in Dolby Vision what should I expect from my non Dolby Vision tv?
lewlew is offline  
post #11093 of 11136 Old 10-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew View Post
It's not too much, but it is what I have been used to since my first 503 14 years ago. This would seem to be somewhat backward relative to the "old days" of plasma.

On another note, how much concern should I have about access to Dolby Vision?
Is this another VHS/BETA, HD-DVD/BD, etc. war, or will UHD discs come with both HDR10 and Dolby Vision?
If I get an OPPO 203 player will it decode Dolby Vision and send a useful signal to a flat panel that is not Dolby Vision enabled?
If Netflix has a movie that's encoded in Dolby Vision what should I expect from my non Dolby Vision tv?
The OPPO 203 decodes both HDR10 and DV, and also does a conversion from HDR to SDR for older displays. If you want everything, then you also want HLG (Hybrid-Log-Gamma) which is somewhat watered down HDR based on an SDR broadcast which can be transmitted via satellite and cable. Today most everything is made in HDR10, with a subset of the total catalog in DV. Going forward, nobody knows as HDR10 with metadata is coming. So for a 75" that does HDR10 and will soon be updated for DV, look at the Sony 940E. I'm sure it will be updated for HLG whenever it needs to be.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11094 of 11136 Old 10-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Newbie
 
Paincakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking to replace / upgrade from a 4 year old Panasonic TC-50PS64.
Mostly used in a dim living room, head on, for Netflix and gaming (PS4 and Nintendo Switch). I'd like to go 4K and 65 Inch, and am looking for a good "bang for your buck" considering what I am replacing. I was considering going as cheap as the TCL 65S405, but if the image quality upgrade is worth it, perhaps the Sony XBR65X900E or Vizio P65 would be a better choice?

Any other recommendations around $1500? I read that TV prices typically drop a few weeks before Black Friday. I imagine I would be better off waiting until then?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by Paincakes; 10-14-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Paincakes is offline  
post #11095 of 11136 Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
gondey99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paincakes View Post
I am looking to replace / upgrade from a 4 year old Panasonic TC-50PS64.
Mostly used in a dim living room, head on, for Netflix and gaming (PS4 and Nintendo Switch). I'd like to go 4K and 65 Inch, and am looking for a good "bang for your buck" considering what I am replacing. I was considering going as cheap as the TCL 65S405, but if the image quality upgrade is worth it, perhaps the Sony XBR65X900E or Vizio P65 would be a better choice?

Any other recommendations around $1500? I read that TV prices typically drop a few weeks before Black Friday. I imagine I would be better off waiting until then?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Based on alot of recommendations I have seen in this thread, The Sony or the Vizio are very good choices. Both are FALD Tv's and are very similar in scores on rtings.com However the Sony is 1799 and does not support Dolby Vision unlike the Vizio. The Vizio P has recently been on sale at Costco for 1299 online however is currently 1599 there.

Good luck.
gondey99 is offline  
post #11096 of 11136 Old 10-14-2017, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Invader3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys.

I am starting to look at replacing my venerable 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma, which has been serving our family well since 2009. Mostly used for watching steaming content (Sling, Netflix, etc), some OTA TV, and Nintendo Switch. I do want to get a PS4 Pro to add to the setup down the line.

The Kuro will be moved to our bedroom.

Would like to go up to a 55" set, with 4K and HDR. Budget probably around $1000, but can stretch it if needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Invader3 is offline  
post #11097 of 11136 Old 10-15-2017, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post
Hey guys.

I am starting to look at replacing my venerable 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma, which has been serving our family well since 2009. Mostly used for watching steaming content (Sling, Netflix, etc), some OTA TV, and Nintendo Switch. I do want to get a PS4 Pro to add to the setup down the line.

The Kuro will be moved to our bedroom.

Would like to go up to a 55" set, with 4K and HDR. Budget probably around $1000, but can stretch it if needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Stretch your budget to $1,200 and get the Sony XBR55X900E.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11098 of 11136 Old 10-15-2017, 05:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Invader3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Stretch your budget to $1,200 and get the Sony XBR55X900E.
Thanks! So, this is better than comparable models from Samsung in that price range? I just ask because I have a friend who recommends Samsung, though he admitted he hasn't kept up with TV technology much in the past couple years.
Invader3 is offline  
post #11099 of 11136 Old 10-15-2017, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post
Hey guys.

I am starting to look at replacing my venerable 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma, which has been serving our family well since 2009. Mostly used for watching steaming content (Sling, Netflix, etc), some OTA TV, and Nintendo Switch. I do want to get a PS4 Pro to add to the setup down the line.

The Kuro will be moved to our bedroom.

Would like to go up to a 55" set, with 4K and HDR. Budget probably around $1000, but can stretch it if needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1) Vizio P55
2) TCL P607
3) Vizio M65 (if you're open to larger than 55")

LG OLED 65C7P
Pioneer Kuro Plasma PRO-151FD 60"
Yamaha TSR-7810 7.2 AVR
Paradigm Monitor 11 v3 (front), CC-370 v3, AMS 250, 150-R30 (ceiling) - 5.2.2 config
SVS SB-13 Ultra, SVS SB-12NSD subwoofers
Xbox One S, PS 3, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #11100 of 11136 Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Invader3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
1) Vizio P55
2) TCL P607
3) Vizio M65 (if you're open to larger than 55")
Would the Vizio M55-EO be comparable in terms of picture quality? I see Sam's Club has it a pretty decent price.
Invader3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off