the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 372 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 313Likes

post #11131 of 11133 Old Today, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
OK, about to pull the trigger on one of these >80" 4K sets - which would you choose? (All prices are within $500 of each other.)

A. 85" LeEco uMax85
B. 86" LG 86SJ9570
C. 82" Samsung UM82MU8000
D. 85" Sony XBR85X850D

Thanks,
Martin
What about the room? Any off-angle viewing?

Will you be watching in the dark or will the room have light?

What will you be watching? Cable/Satellite TV, movies, sports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 11133 Old Today, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
What about the room? Any off-angle viewing?

Will you be watching in the dark or will the room have light?

What will you be watching? Cable/Satellite TV, movies, sports?
I updated my original post with this information...
This set will be used in our family room. My wife watches the set during the day. I watch mostly at night with the lights out. There are no windows behind the seating position which is 12-13' away and mostly straight on. I watch a mix of Xfinity cable, streaming (Netflix/Amazon/Vudu) and Blu-ray. I plan to buy an Xbox One X and my son plays games on the set. The only sport I watch is Formula 1. I have owned Pioneer Kuro 50" and Panasonic 65" VT series plasmas. Our current projector is fantastic for picture size but picture quality leaves a lot to be desired in a non-light controlled room.
Thanks,
Martin

Home Theater System: Panasonic PT-AE8000U; 138" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket Silver ALR, Pioneer Elite SC-75; Klipsch Reference RF-82 II, RC-62 II & RS-52 II; 2 Reaction Audio Echo 15 subs; Comcast X1 / PS3 / Switch / Xbox One
Stereo Audio System: YS-Audio Audio Experience Balanced A2; DIY ICEpower 1000ASP monoblocks; Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE; PS Audio Digital Link III; Logitech Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio GCPH; Opera Consonance LP-2.0; Mørch UP-4; Grado Sonata; PS Audio GCHA; Sennheiser HD 598
post #11133 of 11133 Old Today, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
OK, about to pull the trigger on one of these >80" 4K sets - which would you choose? (All prices are within $500 of each other.)

A. 85" LeEco uMax85
B. 86" LG 86SJ9570
C. 82" Samsung UM82MU8000
D. 85" Sony XBR85X850D

This set will be used in our family room. My wife watches the set during the day. I watch mostly at night with the lights out. There are no windows behind the seating position which is 12-13' away and mostly straight on. I watch a mix of Xfinity cable, streaming (Netflix/Amazon/Vudu) and Blu-ray. I plan to buy an Xbox One X and my son plays games on the set. The only sport I watch is Formula 1. I have owned Pioneer Kuro 50" and Panasonic 65" VT series plasmas. Our current projector is fantastic for picture size but picture quality leaves a lot to be desired in a non-light controlled room.

Thanks,
Martin
Right off the top, since you don't need an IPS panel for a wider viewing angle, eliminate the LG 86SJ9570.

Next, the LeEco uMax85 has the best specs by far, FALD with 448 zones and 3D, but reviews have noted some issues with image processing, specifically upscaling cable TV, and there are issue calibrating it. Plus HDR peak brightness is bit mediocre and there is rumored to be a new model coming out with a quantum dot panel. So its hard to go for without some reservations. I'd only spend the cash on this one after seeing it in person and getting an extended warranty just in case. Plus I don't see it for sale anywhere except directly from LeEco for $5,500.

I haven't seen the Sony XBR85X850D, which is a 2016 model with a VA panel, there aren't any 85" Sonys for 2017. Reviews of the 850D are typically of the smaller IPS panel sets, so not really relevant. I would expect it to be similar to the 2017 Sony 850E series which are also a VA panel sets but with upgraded electronics. Both are edge-lit VA panel sets without local dimming. Neither is very bright but both are pretty good at everything, just not exceptional. I've heard you can pick up the 850D for a good price right now, but I only see it listed at a little under $5,000.

The Samsung UM82MU8000 is also an edge-lit VA panel with mediocre local dimming. It is brighter than the Sonys, but not really any better overall. It is a bargain at $3,800 though so it might be worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page