the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 372 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 315Likes

post #11131 of 11155 Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
OK, about to pull the trigger on one of these >80" 4K sets - which would you choose? (All prices are within $500 of each other.)

A. 85" LeEco uMax85
B. 86" LG 86SJ9570
C. 82" Samsung UM82MU8000
D. 85" Sony XBR85X850D

Thanks,
Martin
What about the room? Any off-angle viewing?

Will you be watching in the dark or will the room have light?

What will you be watching? Cable/Satellite TV, movies, sports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 11155 Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
What about the room? Any off-angle viewing?

Will you be watching in the dark or will the room have light?

What will you be watching? Cable/Satellite TV, movies, sports?
I updated my original post with this information...
This set will be used in our family room. My wife watches the set during the day. I watch mostly at night with the lights out. There are no windows behind the seating position which is 12-13' away and mostly straight on. I watch a mix of Xfinity cable, streaming (Netflix/Amazon/Vudu) and Blu-ray. I plan to buy an Xbox One X and my son plays games on the set. The only sport I watch is Formula 1. I have owned Pioneer Kuro 50" and Panasonic 65" VT series plasmas. Our current projector is fantastic for picture size but picture quality leaves a lot to be desired in a non-light controlled room.
Thanks,
Martin

Home Theater System: Panasonic PT-AE8000U; 138" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket Silver ALR, Pioneer Elite SC-75; Klipsch Reference RF-82 II, RC-62 II & RS-52 II; 2 Reaction Audio Echo 15 subs; Comcast X1 / PS3 / Switch / Xbox One
Stereo Audio System: YS-Audio Audio Experience Balanced A2; DIY ICEpower 1000ASP monoblocks; Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE; PS Audio Digital Link III; Logitech Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio GCPH; Opera Consonance LP-2.0; Mørch UP-4; Grado Sonata; PS Audio GCHA; Sennheiser HD 598
post #11133 of 11155 Old 10-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
OK, about to pull the trigger on one of these >80" 4K sets - which would you choose? (All prices are within $500 of each other.)

A. 85" LeEco uMax85
B. 86" LG 86SJ9570
C. 82" Samsung UM82MU8000
D. 85" Sony XBR85X850D

This set will be used in our family room. My wife watches the set during the day. I watch mostly at night with the lights out. There are no windows behind the seating position which is 12-13' away and mostly straight on. I watch a mix of Xfinity cable, streaming (Netflix/Amazon/Vudu) and Blu-ray. I plan to buy an Xbox One X and my son plays games on the set. The only sport I watch is Formula 1. I have owned Pioneer Kuro 50" and Panasonic 65" VT series plasmas. Our current projector is fantastic for picture size but picture quality leaves a lot to be desired in a non-light controlled room.

Thanks,
Martin
Right off the top, since you don't need an IPS panel for a wider viewing angle, eliminate the LG 86SJ9570.

Next, the LeEco uMax85 has the best specs by far, FALD with 448 zones and 3D, but reviews have noted some issues with image processing, specifically upscaling cable TV, and there are issue calibrating it. Plus HDR peak brightness is bit mediocre and there is rumored to be a new model coming out with a quantum dot panel. So its hard to go for without some reservations. I'd only spend the cash on this one after seeing it in person and getting an extended warranty just in case. Plus I don't see it for sale anywhere except directly from LeEco for $5,500.

I haven't seen the Sony XBR85X850D, which is a 2016 model with a VA panel, there aren't any 85" Sonys for 2017. Reviews of the 850D are typically of the smaller IPS panel sets, so not really relevant. I would expect it to be similar to the 2017 Sony 850E series which are also a VA panel sets but with upgraded electronics. Both are edge-lit VA panel sets without local dimming. Neither is very bright but both are pretty good at everything, just not exceptional. I've heard you can pick up the 850D for a good price right now, but I only see it listed at a little under $5,000.

The Samsung UM82MU8000 is also an edge-lit VA panel with mediocre local dimming. It is brighter than the Sonys, but not really any better overall. It is a bargain at $3,800 though so it might be worth a try.

post #11134 of 11155 Old 10-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Still torn over three models:
Sony XBR65X900E / Vizio P-65-E1 / TCL P605/607

Each of them have pros and cons, and I could use some help trying to reconcile expectations ><

- Sony XBR65X900E has the better PQ, upscaling and is my top choice BUT is also pricier, and I am concerned by reports of units restarting (is this accurate?) and the Android OS not operating smoothly. At that price point, this would really bug me. A minor issue the lack of official Dolby Vision, while not a deal breaker, this will always be in the back of my mind as a missing "selling point".
- Vizio P-65-E1 is said to be pretty close to the Sony for less cost, but I've read conflicting reports about the Amazon app not being available on these sets due to Google / Amazon rivalry. Can anyone confirm if this is still accurate? The lack of tuner is a minor annoyance.

Enter the TCL P605/607, which is more of a entry model, and doesn't even come in 65 Inches, BUT it's so affordable that it might tide me over until next year's models, at which point hopefully one of the choices feel less of a compromise?

Thoughts?
post #11135 of 11155 Old 10-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 5
What is the best 75 in tv for under $3500? I would probably end up using this tv for games over 50% of the time (PC gaming and PS4).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
post #11136 of 11155 Old 10-19-2017, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Right off the top, since you don't need an IPS panel for a wider viewing angle, eliminate the LG 86SJ9570.

Next, the LeEco uMax85 has the best specs by far, FALD with 448 zones and 3D, but reviews have noted some issues with image processing, specifically upscaling cable TV, and there are issue calibrating it. Plus HDR peak brightness is bit mediocre and there is rumored to be a new model coming out with a quantum dot panel. So its hard to go for without some reservations. I'd only spend the cash on this one after seeing it in person and getting an extended warranty just in case. Plus I don't see it for sale anywhere except directly from LeEco for $5,500.

I haven't seen the Sony XBR85X850D, which is a 2016 model with a VA panel, there aren't any 85" Sonys for 2017. Reviews of the 850D are typically of the smaller IPS panel sets, so not really relevant. I would expect it to be similar to the 2017 Sony 850E series which are also a VA panel sets but with upgraded electronics. Both are edge-lit VA panel sets without local dimming. Neither is very bright but both are pretty good at everything, just not exceptional. I've heard you can pick up the 850D for a good price right now, but I only see it listed at a little under $5,000.

The Samsung UM82MU8000 is also an edge-lit VA panel with mediocre local dimming. It is brighter than the Sonys, but not really any better overall. It is a bargain at $3,800 though so it might be worth a try.
Dave, I don't want to hijack the other gentleman's request for information but I'm also looking at something in the 80 plus range but might have to stay at 75. I'm pretty sure what your going to say but what about the Vizio E80-E3, seems like a steal for $2,600 from Costco and I get the extra warranty with the Costco credit card. I just convinced my sister to get a Vizio P65 and she likes it and I was settling into getting either a P75 or Sony 75X900E but really want to get bigger. Also, what about the UN82MU800D from Costco, is this the same as the MU8000 just a special model number for Costco?

My situation is a living room TV with sliding glass doors off to the right and 2 windows behind the seating area off to the sides, blinds are kept closed most of the time but can still be bright. Mostly used during the day and at night for TV, also streaming will be done, no Blu-ray player or xbox or anything. Will upgrade to whatever 4K version FireTV and or RokuTV would be best as my old ones are 1080p model since our current TV is a Vizio e650i-a2. For reference neither my wife or I are that picky and nobody I know has a super high end TV, my sister probably has the best with the P65, I've only seen it while I was helping unbox and set it up, honestly wasn't super impressed but I need to get over to the thread about calibrating it and see if I can help it as she doesn't want to pay for a professional calibration. My dad recently got a Samsung UN75MU630DFXZA from Costco and honestly I and my family liked it, it's in a living room with probably a 20ft high wall of windows next to and slightly behind it.

Thanks for any help.

Edit to add, no real off angle viewing, maybe if we have a big party or something but I'm not worried about it.
post #11137 of 11155 Old 10-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seeking advice as I plan to buy very soon, well before my 2010 Mits WD-65738 RPTV bites the dust (so I can donate it while still functioning well).

Here is what I'm looking for and intended use:
65"
Equal PQ to current Mits PQ (if better, that's a plus) - also equal upscaling capability of poorer sources
Lowest price that satisfies the line above!
Will be used often as a PC monitor
Will be on a stand at eye level
Uses will be Live OTA sports (football+hockey), Blu-ray movies.
Don't care about "smart tv" features, I have a Chromecast and stream to it via tablet

Some additional considerations at play:
Viewing distance is about 10 feet, and totally centered.
I don't have the ability to make the room dark during the day, and there is significant daylight that comes in from 4 sides (the Mits screen works acceptably well in all this light!)
In the next 9-12 months, I may relocate, so long-term this set will end up in a spare room in the next home, or gifted/sold -- then I'll splurge a bit more on something nicer for the new home..., maybe.

Thanks!
post #11138 of 11155 Old 10-19-2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoinct View Post
Seeking advice as I plan to buy very soon, well before my 2010 Mits WD-65738 RPTV bites the dust (so I can donate it while still functioning well).

65"
Equal PQ to current Mits PQ (if better, that's a plus) - also equal upscaling capability of poorer sources
Don't care about "smart tv" features, I have a Chromecast and stream to it via tablet

I don't have the ability to make the room dark during the day, and there is significant daylight that comes in from 4 sides (the Mits screen works acceptably well in all this light!)
In the next 9-12 months, I may relocate, so long-term this set will end up in a spare room in the next home, or gifted/sold -- then I'll splurge a bit more on something nicer for the new home..., maybe.

Thanks!
Vizio E65 or M65 (if you don't mind using an external tuner for OTA). Otherwise Sony 900E or TCL 65C807
ottoinct likes this.

LG OLED 65C7P
Pioneer Kuro Plasma PRO-151FD 60"
Yamaha TSR-7810 7.2 AVR
Paradigm Monitor 11 v3 (front), CC-370 v3, AMS 250, 150-R30 (ceiling) - 5.2.2 config
SVS SB-13 Ultra, SVS SB-12NSD subwoofers
Xbox One S, PS 3, Apple TV 4, Nvidia Shield Pro

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 10-19-2017 at 01:38 PM.
post #11139 of 11155 Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper2075 View Post
Dave, I don't want to hijack the other gentleman's request for information but I'm also looking at something in the 80 plus range but might have to stay at 75. I'm pretty sure what your going to say but what about the Vizio E80-E3, seems like a steal for $2,600 from Costco and I get the extra warranty with the Costco credit card. I just convinced my sister to get a Vizio P65 and she likes it and I was settling into getting either a P75 or Sony 75X900E but really want to get bigger. Also, what about the UN82MU800D from Costco, is this the same as the MU8000 just a special model number for Costco?

My situation is a living room TV with sliding glass doors off to the right and 2 windows behind the seating area off to the sides, blinds are kept closed most of the time but can still be bright. Mostly used during the day and at night for TV, also streaming will be done, no Blu-ray player or xbox or anything. Will upgrade to whatever 4K version FireTV and or RokuTV would be best as my old ones are 1080p model since our current TV is a Vizio e650i-a2. For reference neither my wife or I are that picky and nobody I know has a super high end TV, my sister probably has the best with the P65, I've only seen it while I was helping unbox and set it up, honestly wasn't super impressed but I need to get over to the thread about calibrating it and see if I can help it as she doesn't want to pay for a professional calibration. My dad recently got a Samsung UN75MU630DFXZA from Costco and honestly I and my family liked it, it's in a living room with probably a 20ft high wall of windows next to and slightly behind it.

Thanks for any help.

Edit to add, no real off angle viewing, maybe if we have a big party or something but I'm not worried about it.
I can't really get very excited about the Vizio E series, it nowhere close to your sister's Vizio P series. The Vizio E's FALD doesn't work any better than the edge-lit dimming in the Samsung UN82MU800D (it is Costco's version of the MU8000), and the Samsung is much brighter, has better upscaling, color depth, motion control and input lag. But it is over $1,000 more so I can see why your interest was peaked by the Vizio E80-E3.
post #11140 of 11155 Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasva007 View Post
What is the best 75 in tv for under $3500? I would probably end up using this tv for games over 50% of the time (PC gaming and PS4).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Either the Sony XBR75X900E or the Vizio P75-E1. IMO the Sony is a better all around TV, but the Vizio P has lower input lag for gaming.
post #11141 of 11155 Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoinct View Post

65"

Thanks!
Since you don't want to spend a lot for something that will become a bedroom TV, the Sony 850E ticks all your boxes: excellent upscaling, great for sports, judder free 24p Blu-rays, and works well as a PC monitor.
ottoinct likes this.
post #11142 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
replacement for Vizio M70

We have the original Vizio M70 which I am considering moving to the bedroom to replace our old Tosh 1080p set.

Looking at picking up a 4k apple tv and a 4k blu ray player.

Was thinking about the 78" UN78KS9500.

Anything else in this size/price range I should be considering? Is the UN78KS9800 worth the extra 12 hundo? Should I just sit on my hands and wait for 2018 OLEDs, or is anything affordable in this size more of a 2019/2020 reality?

Many thanks!
post #11143 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Im going to buy samsung Q7 soon but want to know is 65'' too big for about 7.5-8 feet sitting distance? Going to use mainly for gaming
post #11144 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ FITME View Post
Im going to buy samsung Q7 soon but want to know is 65'' too big for about 7.5-8 feet sitting distance? Going to use mainly for gaming
No, that's just about spot on for 4K.
post #11145 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
We have the original Vizio M70 which I am considering moving to the bedroom to replace our old Tosh 1080p set.

Looking at picking up a 4k apple tv and a 4k blu ray player.

Was thinking about the 78" UN78KS9500.

Anything else in this size/price range I should be considering? Is the UN78KS9800 worth the extra 12 hundo? Should I just sit on my hands and wait for 2018 OLEDs, or is anything affordable in this size more of a 2019/2020 reality?

Many thanks!
You should consider the Sony XBR75X940E which is just under $4K on Amazon. It very bright with excellent FALD and will even support DV which the Samsung UN78KS9800 will not. It would be nice if you could see them both in the same store but that's unlikely. Why wait for 2018 OLEDs? They're bound to be more expensive and not nearly as bright.
post #11146 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You should consider the Sony XBR75X940E which is just under $4K on Amazon. It very bright with excellent FALD and will even support DV which the Samsung UN78KS9800 will not. It would be nice if you could see them both in the same store but that's unlikely. Why wait for 2018 OLEDs? They're bound to be more expensive and not nearly as bright.
Thanks! That looks like a good option albeit a bit smaller. I guess the Oppo would be the only option for a DV player - sounds like the LG has issues?
post #11147 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! That looks like a good option albeit a bit smaller. I guess the Oppo would be the only option for a DV player - sounds like the LG has issues?
No the LG OLED is a great TV, just not as bright as the Samsung UN78KS9800 or Sony XBR75X940E. It basically has infinite black levels, but there can be image retention and in very bright scenes the ABL can dim the total brightness. Plus the 77W7P 77" OLED is listed at $15K on the LG website and the Sony XBR77A1E 77" OLED is even more than that.
post #11148 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

Quote:
No the LG OLED is a great TV, just not as bright as the Samsung UN78KS9800 or Sony XBR75X940E. It basically has infinite black levels, but there can be image retention and in very bright scenes the ABL can dim the total brightness. Plus the 77W7P 77" OLED is listed at $15K on the LG website and the Sony XBR77A1E 77" OLED is even more than that.
Sorry for the confusion - I mean the oppo UHD player vs. the LG UHD player (only options for dolby vision)
post #11149 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I want a 65" TV the room can be as dark as I want it to be, the viewing angle is straight on, I will mostly use it as a giant PC monitor but also for gaming and watching streaming video either from the PC or console, I also will watch video files from the PC (mention this because I hear some of these TV's don't handle that well my current plasma does it fine)

my main concern is avoiding burn in and how the TV processes motion I am leaning towards OLED but I am afraid I will ruin it with my PC, picture quality and input lag are important also

thanks for any advice
post #11150 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailhailhailandkill View Post
I want a 65" TV the room can be as dark as I want it to be, the viewing angle is straight on, I will mostly use it as a giant PC monitor but also for gaming and watching streaming video either from the PC or console, I also will watch video files from the PC (mention this because I hear some of these TV's don't handle that well my current plasma does it fine)

my main concern is avoiding burn in and how the TV processes motion I am leaning towards OLED but I am afraid I will ruin it with my PC, picture quality and input lag are important also

thanks for any advice
Sounds like you'd be better off with a VA panel set. What is your budget?
post #11151 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you'd be better off with a VA panel set. What is your budget?
3000 at most
post #11152 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion - I mean the oppo UHD player vs. the LG UHD player (only options for dolby vision)
Sorry, my mistake. The LG UP970 is interesting due to the low price, but the OPPO UDP-203 is probably the one to get.
post #11153 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailhailhailandkill View Post
3000 at most
That's a decent budget, so for only $2,300 the VA panel Sony XBR65X930E is a good fit. It has no IR issues, is much brighter, has excellent motion control and fairly low input lag. I know the LG OLED65C7P for $3K is a better for your stated uses, but you would need to careful with leaving the TV on with the same PC or Game screen for extended periods. But I don't think it is that likely to be a problem, especially since image retention isn't as big an issue on the 2017 models.
post #11154 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

Quote:
That's a decent budget, so for only $2,300 the VA panel Sony XBR65X930E is a good fit. It has no IR issues, is much brighter, has excellent motion control and fairly low input lag. I know the LG OLED65C7P for $3K is a better for your stated uses, but you would need to careful with leaving the TV on with the same PC or Game screen for extended periods. But I don't think it is that likely to be a problem, especially since image retention isn't as big an issue on the 2017 models.
Thanks for the advice I have been reading your advice here on the forums for awhile and I am leaning towards the Sony but I also feel like I will regret not getting the OLED. I think the best value for me is probably the Sony I will wait until OLED gets a little more evolved.
post #11155 of 11155 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I currently own a panasonic 65vt50 and an lg 55c7v and I’m looking to replace my main plasma tv with a bigger or better screen.
I’m torn between the 75z9d and the 65a1. On one hand I love the black level of oled and on the other hand I’m thinking that the increase screen size will probably benefit me more.
Are there any owners of 75” that they’ve previously owned a 65”? I’m curios how much “bigger” the 75” feels and if the added screen estate is worth sacrificing the oled pure blacks.
If I would have I lot of cash to spare, I would definitely go for the 77a1, but it costs about 20.000 euros. In my country the z9d costs 6000euro and the 65a1 is 4000euro.
One important detail about my viewing habits is that I never watch cable tv and I always watch movies in a pitch black room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page