AVS Forum banner
2M views 20K replies 6K participants last post by  Panson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[Moderator note: Please review forum rules at top]

So you've decided that you want an LCD HDTV. Maybe you just got this year's bonus, or that big tax return, or you need a new TV because that 20 year old tube just died this week. But, you aren't sure where to begin. Well, you've come to the right place.

Resources for research

Information at CNET

Here are some helpful CNET links to reviews and buying guides for HDTVs:

CNET's television reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/...ftColumnArea.0

CNET's HDTV buying guide:

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-gu...tColumnArea1.0

CNET's HDTV finder, a step-by-step guide for chosing a TV:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4247-6475_7-...rColumnArea1.3

-----

Before diving into makes and models, there are some things you should consider that will help your decision making process.

If you plan on posting in this thread asking for assistance, please include the following information in your post:

1. Budget
2. Seating distance
3. Size/placement limitations
4. Uses and sources
5. Room lighting

1. Budget

Buying a new HDTV can be an expensive endeavor. To make things even more complicated, there is a whole price range of LCDs available, costing from just hundreds to several thousands of dollars. You should understand from the beginning how much you want to spend for a new TV. By having a budget, you whittle down your search to a price range and just look at makes and models within your budget. It will reduce the number of LCDs you are looking at, making the task of choosing less daunting.

2. Seating distance

High definition televion brings greater detail to the picture. However, in order to be able to see the increased detail in HDTV we need to sit within an optimal distance from the TV. Also, the room you plan on putting your new LCD in may limit you on how close or how far you will be sitting from it. Now, not everyone is going to (or be able to) sit 7 feet from a 55" LCD. Knowing how far you plan on sitting from your new LCD will help you determine how large of an LCD you are interested in.

3. Size/placement limitations

Where you plan on placing (or mounting) your new LCD may also impact the size of the LCD you choose. So, in terms of getting the most out of your new high definition experience, you will need to find a balance between size, distance, resolution (720p, 1080p), and practicality.

Some resources that can assist you in making the size/distance choice can be found here:

Viewing distance calculator:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Seating distance chart:

If you find yourself sitting farther than ideal for 1080p viewing from your chosen size, you may want to consider saving some money and buying a 720p LCD, instead.

4. Uses and sources

The number and types of source devices you have and plan on getting will determine the types of connections you will need available on your new LCD. Or, you might find after tallying up your sources that a new audio/video receiver would be a good addition to your new purchase.

You should also consider what you are planning on using your new LCD for. For watching primarily movies on Blu-ray, you might want to consider seating arrangements that put you closer to the optimal seating distance for the size you purchase. Perhaps you will be watching alot of broadcast over cable, or you haven't upgraded to Blu-ray or you still have a large collection of standard DVDs. What you plan on watching on your LCD HDTV can influence what quality level, features, or even resolution (720p? 1080p?) you choose in a model.

If you plan on gaming on your LCD, you might want to find out about input lag of the different makes/models you are considering. Here's a good thread we have going here on input lag:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

5. Room lighting

Well lit room? Or do you like watching movies in the dark? Some LCDs come with matte finish screens, and others can be as reflective as plasmas. You should consider the lighting of your room and look for models that would be appropriate.

What about bias lighting? What exactly is bias lighting? Here's a good post on theory from the Calibration forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1162578

Here's a thread of bias lighting examples with pictures in the LCD forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=bias+lighting

2010 LCDs from some of the top brands

Samsung:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=samsung+2010

Sony:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=sony+2010

LG:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=lg+2010

Toshiba:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=toshiba+2010

Sharp:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=sharp+2010

Panasonic (not much going on in this thread, but it's the best I could dig up):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=panasonic

Vizio:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=vizio

Cables!

For all your buying needs:

http://www.monoprice.com
http://www.bluejeanscable.com
http://www.tartancable.com

I'm hoping that this thread will be a help to people, and a place for knowledgeable folks to stop by and help out others looking for information. If there's anything you think should be in this first post, either information or links, just let me know and I will put it up.

See less See more
#7,281 ·
Hey all, I found 60JU7100 on sale, and the 55JS8500 for just $200 more. I'm reading great things about both, but JS8500 seems to be the clear winner. However, I can't get my head around the smaller 55" screen. Other than size, is the JS8500 that much of a difference? I'm coming from a 46" LN46A750.

I will be sitting about 10ft away and am mostly concerned about future proofing and long lasting features/specs as I don't upgrade that often, but also don't want to be wishing for a larger display months later.
If I'm you, I'd take the 8500 without question. 5" screen size isn't that big a difference to me and the improved picture quality would more than make up for it.

As Dalto said though, the size issue is subjective...

#7,282 ·
Thanks Dalto and rlindo for the clarity. I've decided to not go for the 60JU7100. This is a significant upgrade for me so figured I mind as well go for the most ideal. After measuring out 55" and 60" and comparing it with our current 46", 55" just seems too small of an increase. We may actually spring for the 65JS8500 now, it's an extra $1300 CDN, but a significant upgrade in size, features, and adequate future proofing.

Is $3000 USD ($4000 CDN) a good deal? I've checked the price against sites from the U.S., like bestbuy, samsung.com, amazon.com, and they all are around this price.

#7,283 ·
Thanks Dalto and rlindo for the clarity. I've decided to not go for the 60JU7100. This is a significant upgrade for me so figured I mind as well go for the most ideal. After measuring out 55" and 60" and comparing it with our current 46", 55" just seems too small of an increase. We may actually spring for the 65JS8500 now, it's an extra $1300 CDN, but a significant upgrade in size, features, and adequate future proofing.

Is $3000 USD ($4000 CDN) a good deal? I've checked the price against sites from the U.S., like bestbuy, samsung.com, amazon.com, and they all are around this price.
If you are in Canada you should definitely check out the Panasonic 65CX850 as well. They are not sold in stores in the US but in Canada worth checking out depending on what the cost for them is there.

#7,284 ·
Need some advice on a TV. I've been going back and forth for a few weeks now as I've been saving.

I was thinking about getting the M60-C3 4K Vizio. Great bang for the buck. I've also been looking at the sony X850C 55" 4K. I mostly do PS4 gaming, blurays, and some streaming. Looking to future proof without spending much over $1500. Just wondering if the triluminous and UHD upscaling is worth it for the sony losing 5" of screen and paying an extra few hundred dollars.

Thanks a ton in advance.

#7,286 ·
Walmart has the Vizio P-Series 60" on rollback right now for $1,200, $100 less than the 60" M-Series. It has twice the FALD zones as the M-Series (64 vs. 32).
I had read that the P series isn't as good as the M series. I'm Kinda leaning toward the X850C but I saw the x800B on sale at Best buy. Just wondering if the upgrade to the triluminous colors is worth it or not seeing as I'll have to wait another month or two to be able to afford the X850C

#7,287 ·
Need some advice on a TV. I've been going back and forth for a few weeks now as I've been saving.

I was thinking about getting the M60-C3 4K Vizio. Great bang for the buck. I've also been looking at the sony X850C 55" 4K. I mostly do PS4 gaming, blurays, and some streaming. Looking to future proof without spending much over $1500. Just wondering if the triluminous and UHD upscaling is worth it for the sony losing 5" of screen and paying an extra few hundred dollars.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Well, the Sony has Triluminous display(WCG), subjectively better motion handling and Android TV. The Vizio has a basic FALD system, is 5" larger and is less expensive. For your scenario I would probably go with the Vizio honestly.

#7,288 ·
Well, the Sony has Triluminous display(WCG), subjectively better motion handling and Android TV. The Vizio has a basic FALD system, is 5" larger and is less expensive. For your scenario I would probably go with the Vizio honestly.
The triluminous is the only thing making me consider. I'm wondering if it will really make that big of a difference. My goal is to future proof and have better upscaling. Rtings really recommends the Vizio, at BB the Sony looks a lot better as far as colors and sharpness but I'm wondering if they just have the settings better or what. Can't decide.

#7,289 · (Edited)
The triluminous is the only thing making me consider. I'm wondering if it will really make that big of a difference. My goal is to future proof and have better upscaling. Rtings really recommends the Vizio, at BB the Sony looks a lot better as far as colors and sharpness but I'm wondering if they just have the settings better or what. Can't decide.
Hi Mark - I was in the same boat as you. Previous two TVs were Sony and was looking at the 55 or 65xbr850C. The 65" was too expensive for me and the M65-C1 seemed to fit the bill so I picked it up from Costco last week. I do have a slight banding issue on it and considering an exchange but have also read the edge light bleeds on the Sonys.

I read a lot from here and the reviews from CNET and Rtings, etc. After calibration, the Vizio has been pretty good. I'm pleased with most DirecTV content, Discovery, Cooking, Bravo.

No issues with motion lag or SOE. Xbox360 games are awesome to play and watch. I watched pre season NFL (NFL network, major network channels) all weekend and thought the color looked a little less vibrant than I remember from my Sony. Not bad, just a little less vibrant but the commercials looked good on the same channel. Maybe I'm not used to the more accurate color than what I had in the past. Bottom line, I think for the price, the Vizio is a great option.

Here's a picture I took of the TV compared to my Retina display macbookpro...

Attachments

#7,290 ·
I had read that the P series isn't as good as the M series. I'm Kinda leaning toward the X850C but I saw the x800B on sale at Best buy. Just wondering if the upgrade to the triluminous colors is worth it or not seeing as I'll have to wait another month or two to be able to afford the X850C
Yes CNET's review says it's a 120 Hz panel while Vizio claims "240Hz effective refresh rate". So $1,198 for a 60" 2014 P602ui-B3 vs. $1,298 for the 60" 2015 M60-C3. Almost seems like a "push".
I would definitely not spend *more* for an 2015 M over a 2014 P
I'd go with dalto. The P should be better overall with twice the dimming zones.

#7,291 ·
The recent review of the Visio M kind of opened my eyes a little.
I currently have a 55" Sanyo 1080p LCD that is an excellent straight-forward television and monitor because of its combination of accurate color, gamma, and wonderful horizontal viewing-angles (at the well-made expense of vertical angles which aren't needed).
It has solid native contrast which may be as high as 2,000:1+, but even with the backlight low, at night I find myself wishing for deeper blacks/more contrast.

Now, I don't demand a perfectly 180degree viewing-cone, but the seats are about 8' back and the outside seats are roughly 25-30degrees off-center..so I'm not sure whether or not there are any VA panels that would be a good fit or if I need to specifically keep toward IPS panels.
And on that note, I'm not sure if any IPS panel offers a noticeable upgrade to native on/off (not dynamic on/off) contrast.

Of course I'd also prefer a set that doesn't suffer noticeably inaccurate colors/greys/gamma nor above average lag or forced frame-interpolation..but I'm hoping these aren't common problems to begin with.

In short, can a VA or other high-contrast panel keep a good image out to 25-30degrees horizontal off-center?
If not, are there any high-contrast panels (perhaps IPS) that can?

I'm hoping to stay under $1000 and at 50-55" or more.
Don't need any special features, but am not actively avoiding optional ones.

Help? :D

#7,294 ·
why do i need upgradability?

dalto et al and the other more learned members of this board explain to me why I would want the upgradable aspect of the Sammy JS8500 for future HDR and WCG? I am still in a quandary about which tv to get. I like the idea of being to upgrade equipment to be somewhat future proof but future proof against what? I get that a 4k tv when given 4k content to display is superior to 1080p yes? Assuming that in the next few years we will have a lot more 4k content to stream, download, display etc. does that mean if I get let's say a Vizio M or P series (current models) or a Sammy Ju7100 or even a Sony XBR850C that these TV's will be less capable of displaying a great picture 4 years from now because they lack HDR and WCG (I think the Sony has WCG but no HDR) and upgradability as compared to the way they display 4k content now versus one another, i.e. while the JS8500 has a superior picture as rated by many, its not an earthshaking difference amongst all these models but say 4 years from now because it is upgradable the differences in picture quality will become way more striking amongst these models assuming other parameters stay the same? I know this question asks for a bit of speculation but I don't think I can fully grasp what all the technology changes actually mean. Thanks

#7,296 ·
BEST LED/4k for Sports/Motion Blur

New to the AVS Forum--wow some SUPER info!!!

Looking at upgrading up to a 65" 4k for my main living room. Budget $1500-1800. I watch a lot of sports--football, golf, tennis, etc so want a TV with the least amount of motion blur and a great crisp clear picture. Do not watch a ton of movies, do not play games and do not care about 3D. Note: I have DirectTV.

The two TVs I have been looking at/researching are the Vizio M65-C1 and the Samsung JU7100 65. Have had great success with my old 51" Samsung Plasma Smart TV (nothing beats a plasma for sports/fast action movement) and like their SmartHub TV platform.

Can anyone compare or suggest which of the above would be best for watching sports? Or I'm also open to other suggestions in the $1500-$1800 range. Thanks in advance for the assistance--

#7,297 ·
In short, can a VA or other high-contrast panel keep a good image out to 25-30degrees horizontal off-center?
If not, are there any high-contrast panels (perhaps IPS) that can?
I do not know of any current TVs with VA panels with a viewing angle of greater than 20 degrees. Most are close to 15 degrees. This is not problem for IPS TVs but as you point out contrast will be lower. Most IPS sets have contrast ratios less than 1000:1. Your best bet would be an IPS TV with local dimming or an OLED. Unfortunately, both of those will be outside your budget.

I need to upgrade my 720p TV to a new TV.

Budget: $900
Seating distance: 5 feet
Size: 40-50"
Uses and Sources: TV box (via HDMI) (SD and HD channels)
Room lighting: Standard room lighting. One big window on the side. Maybe some glare from the window in the afternoon.
For 4K/UHD look at the Vizio M-series. For 1080p I like the Sony 50W800C.

I am looking to buy an LCD in the 70" + category and I want great contrast. Nice deep blacks.
OLED is out at that size so I am looking at SUHD and FALD technologies but I only have a $6K budget
Any recommendations?
Wait for the Sony X940C to go on sale? The only other option is the Vizio M but the local dimming systems on those get less effective as they get larger because the number of zones stays constant.

dalto et al and the other more learned members of this board explain to me why I would want the upgradable aspect of the Sammy JS8500 for future HDR and WCG? I am still in a quandary about which tv to get. I like the idea of being to upgrade equipment to be somewhat future proof but future proof against what? I get that a 4k tv when given 4k content to display is superior to 1080p yes? Assuming that in the next few years we will have a lot more 4k content to stream, download, display etc. does that mean if I get let's say a Vizio M or P series (current models) or a Sammy Ju7100 or even a Sony XBR850C that these TV's will be less capable of displaying a great picture 4 years from now because they lack HDR and WCG (I think the Sony has WCG but no HDR) and upgradability as compared to the way they display 4k content now versus one another, i.e. while the JS8500 has a superior picture as rated by many, its not an earthshaking difference amongst all these models but say 4 years from now because it is upgradable the differences in picture quality will become way more striking amongst these models assuming other parameters stay the same? I know this question asks for a bit of speculation but I don't think I can fully grasp what all the technology changes actually mean. Thanks
There are two things here worthy of discussion.

First the Samsung JS8500 you mention has something called the one connect mini box. What this is a small box that holds most of the ports for the TV. The theory behind the box is that if the industry moves to HDMI 3.0 or displayport or some other interface technology you can simply buy a new interface box from Samsung and continue to have support on your TV. Given that HDMI bandwidth is currently a limiting technology factor it is not unreasonable to believe that there will be some new technology in this space in the next few years.

Next is the fact that the Samsung has support already for some future looking technologies. Namely, WCG/HFR/HDR. This is where things start to get more controversial. The reason is that those things don't make the picture better in and of themselves. They require content which is specifically encoded to support it. Speculatively, I don't think that HFR is going to be huge anytime soon. At least not for film/TV. It requires filming with special cameras and some people don't like the effect it delivers. WCG/HDR on the other hand, I think will become more prevalent in movies. Sooner rather than later. If you stream content or are planning to invest in UHD BD than this stuff will be available soon. Then the question becomes how much will we see them used in TV and games. Honestly, I don't know.

Ultimately, there is no clear answer here. Things you need to ask yourself include
- How long do I keep TVs?
- Am I mostly just watching cable/satellite or do I stream and watch a lot movies?
- How much critical viewing do I do? Do I notice things like overall contrast levels or am I more of a casual viewer.

1. Budget:

#7,298 ·
I do not know of any current TVs with VA panels with a viewing angle of greater than 20 degrees. Most are close to 15 degrees. This is not problem for IPS TVs but as you point out contrast will be lower. Most IPS sets have contrast ratios less than 1000:1. Your best bet would be an IPS TV with local dimming or an OLED. Unfortunately, both of those will be outside your budget.

For 4K/UHD look at the Vizio M-series. For 1080p I like the Sony 50W800C.

Wait for the Sony X940C to go on sale? The only other option is the Vizio M but the local dimming systems on those get less effective as they get larger because the number of zones stays constant.

There are two things here worthy of discussion.

First the Samsung JS8500 you mention has something called the one connect mini box. What this is a small box that holds most of the ports for the TV. The theory behind the box is that if the industry moves to HDMI 3.0 or displayport or some other interface technology you can simply buy a new interface box from Samsung and continue to have support on your TV. Given that HDMI bandwidth is currently a limiting technology factor it is not unreasonable to believe that there will be some new technology in this space in the next few years.

Next is the fact that the Samsung has support already for some future looking technologies. Namely, WCG/HFR/HDR. This is where things start to get more controversial. The reason is that those things don't make the picture better in and of themselves. They require content which is specifically encoded to support it. Speculatively, I don't think that HFR is going to be huge anytime soon. At least not for film/TV. It requires filming with special cameras and some people don't like the effect it delivers. WCG/HDR on the other hand, I think will become more prevalent in movies. Sooner rather than later. If you stream content or are planning to invest in UHD BD than this stuff will be available soon. Then the question becomes how much will we see them used in TV and games. Honestly, I don't know.

Ultimately, there is no clear answer here. Things you need to ask yourself include
- How long do I keep TVs?
- Am I mostly just watching cable/satellite or do I stream and watch a lot movies?
- How much critical viewing do I do? Do I notice things like overall contrast levels or am I more of a casual viewer.

The JU7100 is slightly better. It has all full bandwidth HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports, one connect mini for future upgradability and 3D.

That being said, the Vizio M65-C1 is also very good and has a basic FALD system.

However, I am a little confused as the Samsung seems like it is completely outside your budget.

I found where I can get the JU7100 for right around $1800+ or so. My concern with the M65-C1 is the motion blur and sports. All/most of the information praising the Vizio centers around watching movies and not as much sports--

#7,299 ·
I am looking to buy an LCD in the 70" + category and I want great contrast. Nice deep blacks.
OLED is out at that size so I am looking at SUHD and FALD technologies but I only have a $6K budget
Any recommendations?
As dalto said, either wait/hope for the 940c to go on sale or get the Vizio model. That or drop your size down to 65". Unfortunately the options above 65" are slim.

#7,300 ·
Hello all:

Looking for any feedback on this Samsung Model

UN55JU6700FXZA

Or something comparable as a recommendation?

Background

Budget $1500 or less
Seating distance: 6 feet
Uses and Sources: TV box (via HDMI) (SD and HD channels)
Room lighting: Standard room lighting. One big window on the side. Maybe some glare from the window in the afternoon.
Watch a lot of sports, movies and network TV
NO Gaming and don't care for 3D

Thanks

:)