Official Samsung LED UNxxC6300, UNxxC7000, and UNxxC8000 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NachoMan View Post

Can you comment on how the TV looks in a pitch dark environment. ANY flashlighting or clouding on this set? Is this pinpoint dimming feature as good as the 8500? Everyone here is dying to know and yet we haven't had any concrete answers yet.

I would also like to know this. I want to know if the 8000 is considerably darker than the 7000. They are only 200 or so diff so my gut is that it's not but just checking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post

I would also like to know this. I want to know if the 8000 is considerably darker than the 7000. They are only 200 or so diff so my gut is that it's not but just checking.

It's getting a little frustrating seeing as some have had this set before the weekend and we can't get a concrete response from a member who has the set in-home and calibrated in a dark room. I appreciate any members who are giving initial impressions from the store, but unfortunately that won't be a true representation of how it's black levels perform in real-life situations. Hopefully we can get some reliable info soon.
post #723 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

So can we use C9000 remote with C8000 TV?

I ordered the remote and got it at a discount and I should have it in a week or two. The main reason I got is it has it's own Wifi built in so you can stream YouTube, etc., just like an iPod Touch or iPhone. It's also programmable so it can be used on DVRs, AVRs, etc. It even looks like an iPod Touch. It does say on a few websites that the dual view feature is only on the C9000, but that's not a feature worth paying twice the price for. I guess I'll find out soon.
post #724 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post

Has anybody figured out the best way for the Logitech Harmony One to learn about the UN55C8000 because it's not in their database.

that was weird, i was just thinking about that last night with my harmony 900, it's not in their database yet - but i suppose you can try the C7000 settings? i wouldn't think it would be too far off?

i have an UN55C8000 and blu-ray C6900 coming also. I wonder if the blu-ray settings is there also?
post #725 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Can you comment on how the TV looks in a pitch dark environment. ANY flashlighting or clouding on this set? Is this pinpoint dimming feature as good as the 8500? Everyone here is dying to know and yet we haven't had any concrete answers yet.

This is only initial observations, so until I can play with the settings a bit more, I am only stating on what I have noticed so far. I went with my father-in-law yesterday to Brandsmart USA, and he decided to get the C8000 3d kit. I set everything up for him last night including the new C450 soundbar. We put on Monsters vs Aliens real quick to show the technology to my mother-in-law, and well unfortunately there was some severe clouding mostly on the left side of the screen. (very reminiscent of my C7000 oddly). My father-in-law noticed it, but he said he does not watch too much movies in the dark anyway. I was a bit disappointed when I noticed this, as I have a gift card at Best Buy and was waiting for this set to come along. I am going to be heading back to his house on Tuesday and will tweak some more settings. I do not remember seeing an option for local dimming, but I will check again to make sure. I do not have a camera to get the blotches on screen, but I will at least try to get a pic of the setup. I am looking into the Panny series now due to the anomalies I am noticing on the two Samsungs I have seen so far. Hope this helps a bit everyone.

Regards,
Mel
post #726 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbamel View Post

This is only initial observations, so until I can play with the settings a bit more, I am only stating on what I have noticed so far. I went with my father-in-law yesterday to Brandsmart USA, and he decided to get the C8000 3d kit. I set everything up for him last night including the new C450 soundbar. We put on Monsters vs Aliens real quick to show the technology to my mother-in-law, and well unfortunately there was some severe clouding mostly on the left side of the screen. (very reminiscent of my C7000 oddly). My father-in-law noticed it, but he said he does not watch too much movies in the dark anyway. I was a bit disappointed when I noticed this, as I have a gift card at Best Buy and was waiting for this set to come along. I am going to be heading back to his house on Tuesday and will tweak some more settings. I do not remember seeing an option for local dimming, but I will check again to make sure. I do not have a camera to get the blotches on screen, but I will at least try to get a pic of the setup. I am looking into the Panny series now due to the anomalies I am noticing on the two Samsungs I have seen so far. Hope this helps a bit everyone.

Regards,
Mel

Thanks Mel. This is the first concrete response i've seen on the clouding/flashlighting issues this TV may or may not exhibit. Yeah, I would definitely check to see if there is an option which turns ON and OFF the pinpoint dimming feature. On my UN46B8500 it's under picture options as Smart LED. Perhaps it's named the same thing for the C8000?

Let us know whenever you can, but until then, thank you kindly for your in-depth initial report from an in-home setup of the C8000 in a dark environment. This is greatly appreciated!
post #727 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM

So i am seeing some issues with local dimming as well as flashlighting...any floating blacks? I am asking everyone in these threads because i sell TVs now at best buy and want to know all of the issues reported
post #728 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20Fan View Post

So i am seeing some issues with local dimming as well as flashlighting...any floating blacks? I am asking everyone in these threads because i sell TVs now at best buy and want to know all of the issues reported

Still too early to tell what all the issues (if any) are with the C8000. Mel's message was only an initial impression without a lot of tweaking. Lets wait for some other users impressions before coming to any final conclusions about this set.
post #729 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM

How can such expensive TVs suffer from clouding
How can this get through the quality check? Samsung get our hard earned money for deffective overpriced crap
post #730 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 AM

The C8000 is only 200 bucks more than the C7000. The 7000 has SEVERE clouding and flashlighting......
post #731 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks Mel. This is the first concrete response i've seen on the clouding/flashlighting issues this TV may or may not exhibit. Yeah, I would definitely check to see if there is an option which turns ON and OFF the pinpoint dimming feature. On my UN46B8500 it's under picture options as Smart LED. Perhaps it's named the same thing for the C8000?

Let us know whenever you can, but until then, thank you kindly for your in-depth initial report from an in-home setup of the C8000 in a dark environment. This is greatly appreciated!

No problem. I did enable smart LED. There were a few options listed.. one was cinema,auto, and something else. I did set it to cinema before we watched the movie. Now one thing I did forget to mention was that the clouding was not noticed during the movie, but when the screen was transitioning over to bluray. I did have the tv set to Movie mode and had the backlight at 8. The clouding was there, and it was noticeable.

Quote:

Still too early to tell what all the issues (if any) are with the C8000. Mel's message was only an initial impression without a lot of tweaking. Lets wait for some other users impressions before coming to any final conclusions about this set.

Correct, as DJ mentioned, I am only giving you my initial impressions and the set was not fully tweaked. Until someone else has the set and can chime in, we are not sure if this is just a problem with my father in law's set, or a widespread issue. I sure hope it is not widespread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmuzi View Post

How can this get through the quality check? Samsung get our hard earned money for deffective overpriced crap

Hopefully it is not widespread. I am crossing my fingers as well.
post #732 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I read some press releases and have heard from multiple reliable sources including cnet that the C9000 remote is fully backwards compatible with the C8000 and C7000.

From what I was told by abt the c9000 remote is compatible with the c8000 but playing video on the remote only works with the c9000 because it uses that set's wireless base to display to send data to the remote.

Quote:

I can't really compare it to the 8500 but I've never seen one in a home setting. I saw one in a bright store a few months ago. I personally am extremely happy with my c8000 and from the pitures I've seen online it seems almost but not quite as good comparable to the 8500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post

I do have a c7000 at my work we have set up in a dark office here and it was WAY more flashlighting and clouding problems than my c8000 at home.
post #733 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM

So I hace a c7000 and my glasses r coming tomorrow. Right I have my cable hooked up into my hdmi 1.3 receiver. If I want to do the 2d to 3d upcovert, can I leave my setup the way it is or do I have to plug the cable box right into the tv
post #734 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldous View Post

I'm sure most of the normal remote functions work, but the remote video as well? I'm not sure I believe that. The C7000 and C8000 are not transmitting anything to my knowledge.

I have also heard that. That the remote works, but not the video stream.
Also, as far as the PVR and other stuff, I heard that for the Euro sets, but not for the US, and that so far is the way it turned out.

Sucks too, because built in DVR would save me $10 on my cable bill a month.
post #735 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Liked: 52
I see a lot of you saying that the C7000 has a lot of clouding and flashlighting. Do you guys have the 55"? From my experience with the 46" C7000, it had minimal flashlighting and clouding. It also had better blacks, better shadow detail and less clouding than the B8000 sitting next to it. They were both on the brightest setting and in a dark area.

I'm thinking that the clouding and flashlighting is more of a problem on the 55" due to the light having to travel farther.
post #736 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 PM

I have the C7000 55" and about the only time I ever notice the any flashlighting is if I'm in a pitch black room and the credits are rolling. As long as there is something going on in the movie (even a darker movie like Watchmen), then I don't notice the flashlight. However, I am running my backlight in the 4-to-6 range and i think that helps a lot.
post #737 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had the c7000 for about a week now and see absolutely no ghosting or flashlight issues.The exact same complaints came out with the A950 and I have had this tv as well for about 18 months and also see none of this-maybe I dont know what to look for-maybe its better I dont. Ron
post #738 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 12:57 PM

To change the topic a tad: I've been disappointed with the whole "widget" and Internet@TV stuff. I don't think its isolated to Samsung, but I definitely think it's overhyped and prefer my XBOX360 to using the TV's features. On example is listening to music that's on my PC. XBOX360 has a visualization feauture, but it seems to be missing from the TV. Also, Pandora is there (very cool and a great idea), but again not visualization feature. The visualization is sort-of doubly important since there's warning's in the manual about not using a frozen image...kindof backwards that they don't help you out with that a little bit by giving you some visualization or something like that.
post #739 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 PM

[quote=Bubbamel;18398547]No problem. I did enable smart LED. There were a few options listed.. one was cinema,auto, and something else. I did set it to cinema before we watched the movie. Now one thing I did forget to mention was that the clouding was not noticed during the movie, but when the screen was transitioning over to bluray. I did have the tv set to Movie mode and had the backlight at 8. The clouding was there, and it was noticeable.

If you ONLY noticed flashlighting and clouding as you were transitioning from one input to another, ie from Cable to Bluray, then that is not an issue. My UN46B8500 does the same thing - and truth be told is that it's the only time i EVER don't see a non uniform 100% black screen. Otherwise while i'm on that specific input it's solid inky blacks all the time.

The only downfall of the B8500 are the halo effects you can get. If the C8000 series can replicate the black levels of the 8500 and even eliminate the halo's this may be a superior television after all. Forgetting all the gimmicky 3-D stuff, to me at least the most important thing is a solid black level.

Lets see some more impressions on whether or not the C8000's pinpoint dimming can be comparable to the B8500's local dimming feature.
post #740 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm so disappointed sites like Cnet and others havn't put up reviews yet. They could just go get the set from the store.
post #741 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Yeah i'm also surprised Cnet hasn't reviewed a single 3-D TV. Their reviews are usually the best for tv's.
post #742 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM

I, too, wondered why CNET hasn't posted anything on these sets. My opinion is that they will not give them high marks due to the screen uniformity issues present. I agree the picture quality is outstanding, but I DO see clouds and flashlighting during dark scenes at night. If the options in C8000 does fix that issue, then maybe Samsung should put the pinpoint dimming in ALL their edge lit sets, rather than sellling it as an option. They would get less returns, IMHO. And if you don't think people other than AVSForums folks are seeing this issue, please read some of the reviews on the Big River site. Plus, look at all the "used" sets that Big River has up for sale... We have seen on Sammy's premium sets (B8500 & MAYBE C8000) that this issue can be addressed. The question is, why won't they fix it?
post #743 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

I'm so disappointed sites like Cnet and others havn't put up reviews yet. They could just go get the set from the store.

why don't you do that for them?
post #744 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

its more samsung falt, "I really can't remember what review site said this, one of the many review sites I frequent" said they wouldn't get any review units in until june. I have to search for a link, but I think samsung wants to hold up official reviews so they haven't sent out full retail review units.
post #745 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I owned the 7000 and took it back last week as soon as the 8000 came out, the blacks are better then the 7000 yes, and for when you watch monsters vs aliens when your tv goes into 3d mode you see clouding and what not but when watching normal tv and blu rays i see none of it, for the money i would recommend the 8000 over the 7000.
post #746 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

There seems to be around 6 or 7 people now confirming that the 8000 has clouding and flashlights as well. This doesn't surprise me b/c if the pinpoint really solved it or made the PQ that much better, their 9000 would have it but it doesn't (same as the 7000).

As for the black level on the 8000 vs 7000 - I can almost guarantee that b/c of the grey bezel, you will not get a true comparison of 7000 vs 8000 b/c the black bezel on the 7000 makes it a lot easier to distinguish while the grey on the 8000 makes the blacks look great off the bat.

I personally don't like the grey and much rather have the black but if the 8000 was that much better, i would switch. That doesn't seem to be the case though as others report the same issues.

From my experience with the c7000, my minor flashlight clouding only come out in absolute pitch black and I can almost swear it has gotten better over time (i also did the finger tap and it looked like that help). That being said, I would expect there to be NO issues but I guess that's too much to ask? LED's pop way more than plasmas so panny can keep their dull pic but at the same time, sammy got to figure this out.
post #747 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Im gonna pass on the 3D and just get the C6800 so I can still enjoy the pinpoint dimming. Of course this is still pending on the reviews and screen uniformity consensus. I sure hope the wood grain TOC isnt hideous though.
post #748 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmuzi View Post

It is a know glitch in this technoligy, every technoligy has issues of some kind as humans designed and maufactured the product.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #749 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

Im gonna pass on the 3D and just get the C6800 so I can still enjoy the pinpoint dimming. Of course this is still pending on the reviews and screen uniformity consensus. I sure hope the wood grain TOC isnt hideous though.

Just my opinion but the 3d on this tv (c7000 or 8000) REALLY takes the picture to the next level. It's not always popping out but something like "life" on the discovery channel was absolutely amazing with 3d.
post #750 of 6309 Old 03-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

its more samsung falt,

No, Samsung is smart. They don't want to provide CNET a TV for testing right now because CNET's 'verdict' might hurt the sale atm. I'm sure you've seen this headline:
"Samsung UN55C8000 is bestselling 3D TV on Amazon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

It is a know glitch in this technoligy, every technoligy has issues of some kind as humans designed and maufactured the product.

I agree. Why can people just assume "clouding" is an easy problem for Samsung to fix?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page