Sharp LC-40SE1 (LED back-lit) vs Sony KDL-40EX700 (LED edge-lit) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-07-2010, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I am trying to decide between the Sharp Aquos LC-40SE1 and the Sony KDL-40EX700. Both are 2010 models. I'm not sure what the equivalent U.S. model number for the Aquos would be.

Both have LED backlight, though the Sony is edge-lit only. The Sharp has full backlighting but no local dimming, according to the Sharp sales rep in my local store.

I live in Yokohama and, not being Japanese, the language barrier can be an issue when looking for a TV and also when operating a TV.

One advantage of the Sharp is that I can set the TV's menu to English, which I don't think I can do on the Sony. That would be much more convenient for calibration of the TV after purchase.

Picture quality wise, in store at least, I like the colour reproduction a little more on the Sony than the Sharp. Though, in terms of motion, the Sharp seems to shade it given the video being shown in-store when I was comparing them.

Does anyone have any experiences or information that could help me with my final decision? Both are similar price-wise. Both have what appears to be a semi-matt screen. The Sharp's stand seems to be sturdier than the Song, it feels more sound and solid when swivelling the TV....the Sony was a little wobbly when turning (though that could be because of the way the sales staff had attached the stand to the TV?)

Anyway, I hope to make my purchase in the next fortnight, so any/all advice, opinions and experiences would be much appreciated.

I've already ruled out plasma due to the heat it gives off and issues with IR, so please don't try recommending a plasma to me.

This will be my first ever HD TV purchase, so I want to get it right.

Thanks in advance.

PS: if there are any maker-related quality issues you can think of, that'd be great to know about too. I can get a 5yr warranty here for both makers, so a LED dying would be covered by that warranty

NOTE: the Aquos model number may differ for the American market. Its has a UV2A panel and a 2,000,000:1 contrast (7000:1), apparently. Though, to be honest, I have no idea how those numbers really relate to picture quality, apart from sounding impressive...

PPS: Has this post bamboozled everyone? lol.....hope someone can offer me some opinion/advice....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 PM

How did your purchase go?
I'm also in Japan(Osaka) and I'm thinking about pulling the trugger on the Sharp Aquos LC-40SE1. Any advice?
Thanks
post #3 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't bought it just yet. But, I've decided on the LC-40SE1.

The reason I haven't bought it is because I haven't got the cash right at this minute, so it'll be in a few weeks time.

I have seen the white version currently going for 91,000yen on Yahoo auction. The auction finishes at 21:14. Would love to buy it, but no can do, unfortunately.

Have you done much research on the two TVs?

The English menu on the Sharp is a BIG plus point, for me anyway.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
How do you say crappy TV in Japanese? seriously the Sony is way superior the main reason for the Sharp is because the Menu is in English. Being in Japan yourself you should make an effort to read a little Japanese. What better way than a TV Menu.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

How do you say crappy TV in Japanese? seriously the Sony is way superior the main reason for the Sharp is because the Menu is in English. Being in Japan yourself you should make an effort to read a little Japanese. What better way than a TV Menu.

I can read and write some Japanese, but you have to remember that there are three different alphabets in Japanese, two of which have about 45 characters each and the third has 1000s of characters that each have multiple readings. So, it's not exactly a straightforward language.

Aside from that, regarding the two TVs mentioned in this post, I have seen them side-by-side and the Sharp both has better sound and seems to have better motion too. The speakers on the Sony sound a bit weak.

Also, there is a bigger chance of uniformity issues, or flashing issues with the Song as it is edge lit as opposed to the Sharp which is led backlit, tho not with local dimming.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 07:09 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Other than saying I feel your pain (I often travel to Japan on business), I would go with the Sharp, if for no other reason that is is backlit and not edge lit.

As for ICE COLD's comments, what he probably does not realize is that the sets sold in Japan are typically all Japanese made, with all Japanese made parts. While he may have seen or had some bad experience here or elsewhere with Sharp (or is just a Sony fanboy) what they sell in the home country is far different to what they sell here.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

Other than saying I feel your pain (I often travel to Japan on business), I would go with the Sharp, if for no other reason that is is backlit and not edge lit.

As for ICE COLD's comments, what he probably does not realize is that the sets sold in Japan are typically all Japanese made, with all Japanese made parts. While he may have seen or had some bad experience here or elsewhere with Sharp (or is just a Sony fanboy) what they sell in the home country is far different to what they sell here.

Yeah, I'm hoping the fact that it is wholly made in Japan should improve the quality issues....assuming that they haven't outsourced the manufacturing to Toyota. lol

How do you find Japan when you visit? I've been here for 5 1/2 years and love it here.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 AM

Did you end up buying the sharp?

If so how is it?

I'm thinking of purchasing the same TV. The inclusion of an English menu is definitely a huge plus.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Hello. I hope you have made a good decision.

I think the best part of the Sharp is the sound. It has the best sound quality of all the LED HD TVs.

The sony is extremely thin and easy to carry and also can be mounted on the wall, therefore (at least for me) if I intend to take it home, it will be cheaper and easier.

So, if you bought any of those, please let me know how its working for you!

I also live in Japan. Been living for almost 3 years now.

Thank you!

Good Luck!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page