Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't see anything wrong with those pictures.
My Samsung has worse pillaring than that, and very noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

Can you see the banding in this picture? This is taken with the all grey slide displayed. Does yours look similar to this , or it is pretty much band free?

I see it. Looks like you have vertical banding in the middle of the panel. Yours is not that bad though mine is worse for sure.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellpolo_loco View Post

I see it. Looks like you have vertical banding in the middle of the panel. Yours is not that bad though mine is worse for sure.

Do you really think yours is worse? If that's the case then I guess that these all proably have this to some degree. Other than this banding I don't have any flashlights or clouds.

I think someone earlier was trying to figure out if these were using Sharp panels and I think this pretty much answers that......
Old 05-04-2010, 02:53 AM

Hey guys correct me if I'm wrong, but the European "HX700" differs to the US "HX701" in that there is 40hz difference in motionflow. Does this have any impact on calibration settings? Or would settings simply be the same?

Further, are there any updates with people having experience with some better settings? I've noted there were a couple complaints with the ones posted.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In europe, the standard is 50 Hz. So everything moves in 50hz increments (100 hz, 200hz). Since it's 60hz in north america, here's your source of the difference.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Just received my replacement 55HX701, and coming from a 60WE610, I am dissapointed by the analog cable quality. It's noticably fuzzier than the previous set.

I have not calibrated it yet, will do so later tonight
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Hi all

I just purchased a 46' HX701 and its my very first flat panel HD TV. Used to have the conventional big TV before. Here in Vancouver Canada, we have around 20 HD channels and I do enjoy watching it. I do have some questions for you.

1. I have windows 7, on my PC and I recall I can do video streaming using it. However, I need a network adapter for the HX701. My question is: do we really need to go for the Sony made network adapter UWABR100? Has anyone try other network adapter and works?

2. Since this is a thread for calibration, has anyone made any calibration yet? Would you like to share your settings? I will be doing mine tonight using a DVD disc. Any better suggestions?

Thank you!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:07 PM

I tried a couple of dlink USB wifi dongles and the TV didn't recognize them. I haven't read anything about any other compatible dongles. As an alternative, you can also use a wired to wireless (aka gaming) adapter in the ethenet port. If you have several wired devices near your screen (DVR, Blu-ray, Game, MediaPC, ...), you can hook them to a second access point configured as a wireless bridge to the rest of your network.

Here's an example of my network setup. We watched a HD movie streamed from Amazon last night. It worked great without a single glitch.

WAN(ISP) <--> Router / WAP1 <--> PC1, PC2, Printer

Wii (built in wireless connects to WAP1)
laptop (built in wireless connects to WAP1)
TV2 <--> Wireless Gaming Adapter (connects to WAP1)

Switch / WAP2 (wireless to wireless bridge to WAP1) <--> TV1, DVR, BD, PC, Xbox
Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris00585 View Post

1. I have windows 7, on my PC and I recall I can do video streaming using it. However, I need a network adapter for the HX701. My question is: do we really need to go for the Sony made network adapter UWABR100? Has anyone try other network adapter and works?

I think there are enough similarities in the set design between all the Sony xx700 models that I feel pretty confident in saying, Yes, you have to shell out for the Sony adapter. A reasonably priced USB adapter from your local computer store won't work.

I've seen a bit of discussion about this in, I think, the EX700 thread. I know I've tried a Trendnet USB adapter in my 52EX700 and it didn't work.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Unfortunately I do not own a PS3 nor Wii. I don't play games at all.
I guess I need to spent that $90 on the adapter then. Thanks guys!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I do not own a PS3 nor Wii. I don't play games at all.
I guess I need to spent that $90 on the adapter then. Thanks guys!

Maybe I wasn't clear. A wired to wireless adapter (aka gaming adapter) doesn't require you to have a game machine. It works with any wired device. Here's one for < $50. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156258

The other option is a wireless bridge. Any access point capable of running the DD-WRT firmware can do this.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Sorry for my bad interpretation. English is not my primary language. If I'm taking this correctly, I can hook this unit up with the HX and then I can stream the video from my desktop?

Is it possible to just hook up an ethernet cable to the HX and assign a local IP to the router and stream videos "wirely" ?

I watch this weekly foreign shows every week for 2 hours on my desktop and I'm finding a cheapest solution watch this on the new HX. Of course, in the future I might go for PS3 since the S370 Blue-ray player costs like $220 in Canada already whereas PS3 only costs $299. Right now, my options are

1. Hook the HX directly to my desktop using HDMI<->DVI cable (is this even possible?)
2. Sony wireless adapter streaming.
3. Use the Trennet game console wireless router as you suggest
4. Anymore?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Sorry for my bad interpretation. English is not my primary language. If I'm taking this correctly, I can hook this unit up with the HX and then I can stream the video from my desktop?

Yes!

Quote:

Is it possible to just hook up an ethernet cable to the HX and assign a local IP to the router and stream videos "wirely" ?

Yes!

Quote:

I watch this weekly foreign shows every week for 2 hours on my desktop and I'm finding a cheapest solution watch this on the new HX. Of course, in the future I might go for PS3 since the S370 Blue-ray player costs like $220 in Canada already whereas PS3 only costs $299. Right now, my options are

1. Hook the HX directly to my desktop using HDMI<->DVI cable (is this even possible?)

Yes!

Quote:

2. Sony wireless adapter streaming.
3. Use the Trennet game console wireless router as you suggest
4. Anymore?

4. Wireless bridge
5. Save video to USB memory stick and plug stick into TV
Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 PM

i just picked up a 55 701 and was wondering what wall mount works with the set .. because i am searching for one ... and also looking for one for my pk550 plasma ..but as this is the 701 thread .. lets see which one works with it ..

ps... first impressions are great pq out the box..( not perfect ) .. but better than last years models ..and a really good panel..no clouding or flash lighting so this makes me happy
Old 05-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey.r View Post

i just picked up a 55 701 and was wondering what wall mount works with the set

Just about anything should work. I'm looking at this low profile one or this ultra-low profile one. At these prices, it's hard to go wrong. Monoprice ftw!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM

yep .. i have bean looking for something similar..i think our sets are what 400x600..and also 16" from stud to stud is standard ..but i read that some can offer a bit more flex as to spacing from stud to stud.. so just trying to grasp this so that i can get one that will fit .. if this makes sense ..

so i think this one is good .. for the flexibility .. correct?

http://www.wallmountcity.com/product...cat=250&page=1
Old 05-07-2010, 03:49 PM

The have tons of mounting holes, to fit just about any possible stud or TV mounting hole spacing. The bigger issue is having room to make your connections. With only an 1.25" between the set and wall (low profile) or .75" (ultra-low profile), you need right angle connections or carefully planned cut-outs behind the TV.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:21 PM

ahhh right .. so i guess 2 inches or more would be better ..
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey.r View Post

ahhh right .. so i guess 2 inches or more would be better ..

It just depends on the look you want and how much work you want to put into getting it.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrando View Post

It just depends on the look you want and how much work you want to put into getting it.

yep i agree with that ...
Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Can someone help me? My hubby got the TV set up with the cable box (Shaw here in Canada) and everything was fine until I tried getting TV Guide to work. It didn't. So I reverted back the settings but now, channel 3 is just fuzzy with a "No Signal" info on the screen. What did I do wrong? I thought I have reverted everything back. Is there a reset button for this? I haven't updated the firmware yet (just checked).

Update: Ok, I got it working again. Tried the Auto Program and somehow it worked.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi7 View Post

Can someone help me? My hubby got the TV set up with the cable box (Shaw here in Canada) and everything was fine until I tried getting TV Guide to work. It didn't. So I reverted back the settings but now, channel 3 is just fuzzy with a "No Signal" info on the screen. What did I do wrong? I thought I have reverted everything back. Is there a reset button for this? I haven't updated the firmware yet (just checked).

Update: Ok, I got it working again. Tried the Auto Program and somehow it worked.

Everytime you change the Guide settings the TV reverts back to the stage here you pick antenna or cable and program the channels. I did it twice =]
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM

I've been watching SD transmission since last Friday. Today, I bought the Pace HD Terminal ("sale" $249.99 at FS & BB) and got it hooked up to the TV. I'm with Shaw here in Canada.

So far so good. I have it pretty much on Standard mode and the picture looks good. I don't have any clouding issues or whatever. Just that SD looks uninviting after watching HD.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi7 View Post

Just that SD looks uninviting after watching HD.

SD is rather bad on this set. Our old 60WE610 did a better job.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 PM

has anyone else noticed a cloudiness look to the picture on the hx701 ..seems as over time this has happened ..the picture looks very cloudy on bright screens ..am i the only one seeing this if not how did you fix this issue ? i turned the brightness down turned off the ambient light ..turned down backlight also ..any suggestions for this ..thnks
Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeball View Post

has anyone else noticed a cloudiness look to the picture on the hx701 ..seems as over time this has happened ..the picture looks very cloudy on bright screens ..am i the only one seeing this if not how did you fix this issue ? i turned the brightness down turned off the ambient light ..turned down backlight also ..any suggestions for this ..thnks

I don't have any cloudiness on my Hx701.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Neither do I.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have attached a couple more pictures of banding on my 55hx701. One is of a medium grey slide and the other a dark grey.

Do any of you think this within the norm or is this a bum panel?
LL
LL
Old 05-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

I have attached a couple more pictures of banding on my 55hx701. One is of a medium grey slide and the other a dark grey.

Do any of you think this within the norm or is this a bum panel?

Mine's a little better than that in that it doesn't seem to have any banding/clouding on the left side. Actually.... equalateral banding might not be as distracting as one sided now that I think about it.

I have adjusted mine until it's almost non existant. Get into the advanced settings then change it to Vivid using the P.Mode button and you can see what it's set at. Use another P Mode and drop the backlight and brightness a bit and use the Vivid Advanced Settings and it'll be way less noticable. I think they crank the gamma but enable the enhanced contrast which makes the clouding/banding way less noticable.

The Vivid advanced settings are post here a page or 2 back. Try it without the cranked contrast, backlight and brightness and you may like it. I did.