Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 823 Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To Judy52 and all. Bought a 46HX701 at Costco and love the picture, formerly had 42WE655 projection which finally quit. Swore next time I'd get at least a 50" screen for golf, football, etc.. Costco only had the 52EX701 at $1999 vs. 46HX701 at $1099. My lazyboy (preferred position) is 110" from tv which is great picture, while my wife prefers to sit further back on our couch. Problem!...Costco now has the 55HX701 for $1599 (what took you so long!!) and I have till Sept. 9th to return the 46HX701 for credit. Question?...I know all blogs say 110" (Lazyboy) is perfect for a 55" and I could move back to couch, but will the picture truly be as satisfyingly sharp as now? I'm basically interested in HD programming, Blueray, streaming Netflix and of various sports events. Yes.....would love to have bigger screen but maybe being foolish as I love best picture! Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 823 Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx701 View Post

...Costco now has the 55HX701 for $1599 (what took you so long!!) and I have till Sept. 9th to return the 46HX701 for credit. Question?...I know all blogs say 110" (Lazyboy) is perfect for a 55" and I could move back to couch, but will the picture truly be as satisfyingly sharp as now? I'm basically interested in HD programming, Blueray, streaming Netflix and of various sports events. Yes.....would love to have bigger screen but maybe being foolish as I love best picture! Thanks for your inpit!

I don't know about now, but when I picked up my 55HX701, it listed for $2499 @ Sony's site, while the 55HX500 was running around $1599.
If you can get the 55HX701 for that price, I say grab it. I have this set and love it. The PQ is excellent. It does have a glossy screen, but I have mine in a spot where it's not a problem (some say the reflection disappears when the TV is on). 55" is pretty big, but the picture looks good even close (I sit about 12' away).

I've had this set for a few months now and have absolutely no regrets. I did have to adjust the picture. I did this by using settings posted on this site, then tweaking it to my liking.

Here is a link to my adjustments:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18860397

These settings look fantastic in my livingroom. You'll likely need to tweak it to your liking.Many say that a professional calibration is a must. I say if you can get PQ on your own that you like, what else matters? And you've saved several hundred dollars. Good luck!

Bob
post #453 of 823 Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks Bob14567 for your reply! Have been using your settings since buying my 46HX and after fiddling can't seem to improve on them. I'm also worried about sometimes watching standard def on such a large screen. Would you be satisfied watching yours at 110"? They say the 55" vs 46" will show more detail, but how about a truly sharp and clear picture at closer distance than 12 ft? I can move back to 12 ft or more, but is the extra size worth it? Is there really any point to buy the larger if you have to move back to get the same sharpness?
post #454 of 823 Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:

To Judy52 and all. Bought a 46HX701 at Costco and love the picture, formally had 42WE655 projection which finally quit. Swore next time I'd get at least a 50" screen for golf, football, etc.. Costco only had the 52EX701 at $1999 vs. 46HX701 at $1099. My lazyboy (preferred position) is 110" from tv which is great picture, while my wife prefers to sit further back on our couch. Problem!...Costco now has the 55HX701 for $1599 (what took you so long!!) and I have till Sept. 9th to return the 46HX701 for credit. Question?...I know all blogs say 110" (Lazyboy) is perfect for a 55" and I could move back to couch, but will the picture truly be as satisfyingly sharp as now? I'm basically interested in HD programming, Blueray, streaming Netflix and of various sports events. Yes.....would love to have bigger screen but maybe being foolish as I love best picture! Thanks for your inpit!

I'm so glad you are happy with your set. I have the 55" from Costco and I could not be happier. I am using a large directional antenna and a regular DVD player and a Phillips HHD Recorder. I was also using a Roku for Netflix instant streaming but this set does such a good job I don't have it hooked up now. I think the picture looks great at any distance. My distance has been anywhere from 6' to 18'. That being said I don't know if I would take a chance on another set when I am really happy with what I have. Then again you are dealing with Costco so either way you should be fine. HD TV shows do look a little better than the SD shows but both look pretty darn good to me. I also have a Lazy Boy about 16' away and it is my favorite spot also. Gota love Costco.
post #455 of 823 Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:

I'm also worried about sometimes watching standard def on such a large screen. Would you be satisfied watching yours at 110"? They say the 55" vs 46" will show more detail, but how about a truly sharp and clear picture at closer distance than 12 ft? I can move back to 12 ft or more, but is the extra size worth it? Is there really any point to buy the larger if you have to move back to get the same sharpness?

I have to agree with Judy...even close up, the PQ maintains. 110" should be no problem at all. In fact, I just measured, and in my recliner, my head is at about 10 1/2' to 11 1/2' (if reclined), so just beyond the viewing distance you anticipate.

I mostly watch HD channels (I live in a large city that offers a wide selection of HD channels via cable), but content quality does vary, even with HD. SD actually looks pretty good as well. A good bluray looks breathtakingly excellent. Even a DVD looks great, but that is partly due to the upscaling of the BDP.

You may already know this, but along with the TV adjustments, I made sure that my HD Cable Converter box was correctly set. I have 2 different Motorola models, both of which required setting the Video to 1080i for best Source quality. I am using HDMI for the connection. My Panasonic BDP-65 also required settings to ensure it was passing the highest PQ signal to the TV.

Getting the best PQ means using HDMI and setting up all devices to output the highest quality. YMMV, but my opinion is that you won't regret buying this set. Just the oposite, in my experience.

Bob
post #456 of 823 Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 PM

How many of you guys use the Motionflow while watching movies and blu rays? It just seems..weird almost as if certain scenes are too sped up. I cant decide if I should use it or not.
post #457 of 823 Old 08-12-2010, 01:50 AM

Mine is set to standard and seems fine for me. I don't have a blu ray player yet but I leave it on standard for everything. Give some different settings a try and see how it works for you. Hope you are happy with your set.
post #458 of 823 Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 PM

I bought the UAW-BR100 and got it connected to my wifi.

Has anyone tried the "Send from Pc to TV"? I tried the Firefox plugin but it says it's not compatible with firefox 3.6.8. I managed to install the IE version but I don't get any windows asking me about hyperlinks though. HDMI control is ON, IP address entered but the Send from PC to TV is not working. Any ideas?
post #459 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granto86 View Post

How many of you guys use the Motionflow while watching movies and blu rays? It just seems..weird almost as if certain scenes are too sped up. I cant decide if I should use it or not.

Most Calabration Tips has been turn Motionflow Off & Cinemotion to Auto 1 for Blu ray. Sony in i manual keep Motionflow On, use Auto 2 ? Both look about the same to give You a natural moving flow. This is a very Good Question... Open to any Tips on Best for the input different sources...
post #460 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Think I will bring my KDL-46HX701 back to Costco for the 55HX701. Has anyone done this? Have all the original packing material and will try to pack it as received. Costco is the best place to buy if they have what you want (usually good stuff). Just wonder if anyone has had problems doing this or has suggestions. I'm going to buy the 55HX701 first and run it for a week or two looking for problems, then bring back the 46". Has anyone had any problems doing this? Just don't want to wind up owning two TVs, thanks!
post #461 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Think I will bring my KDL-46HX701 back to Costco for the 55HX701. Has anyone done this? Have all the original packing material and will try to pack it as received. Costco is the best place to buy if they have what you want (usually good stuff). Just wonder if anyone has had problems doing this or has suggestions. I'm going to buy the 55HX701 first and run it for a week or two looking for problems, then bring back the 46". Has anyone had any problems doing this? Just don't want to wind up owning two TVs, thanks!

I have not personally returned a large item but in discussing returns with a very friendly employee they are very flexible and easy to work with at my local store. The employee told us of a customer who returned a huge stainless steel grill with burner and work space all in one huge unit because they had used it all summer and then decided they didn't have anywhere to keep it over winter. They just pushed it in without even cleaning it and got their money back. I think I would have told them to take a hike but Costco really does try to please every customer. I doubt you would have a problem as long as it falls within the 90 day return period.
post #462 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks! What I'm concerned about is if I tell them "nothing is wrong with the 46" TV...I just want the larger one instead"! Does there have to be a problem with the returned article?
post #463 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife returned a pie she had purchase for our Thanksgiving dinner. It only had two pieces missing. As soon as we got to the counter the lady said...let me guess, too much salt! My wife asked her how she knew and she answered ours was the 11th pie being returned on that day for the very same reason! I even saw a guy return half a loaf of bread...
post #464 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 06:01 PM

You can purchase a bottle of vitamins and take all but one and return it for a full refund by just saying you don't think they are doing you any good. My daughter bought a thing that sucks up leaves and blows leaves for her yard. Every time she went to use it there was some issue about starting or some kind of glitch. Instead of returning it she kept dealing with it because once she got it going it did the job. One year later she was in a bad mood from dealing with it for an hour with no success and took it back to Costco. She did not have a receipt nor any paper work or the box it came in. They looked it up on the computer to verify the purchase and gave her a full refund and were very freindly and nice as if it were no problem at all. They did give the refund in the form of a Costco gift card since she didn't have the receipt but that was fine with her since she shops there for most things. I don't think I have ever returned anything other than a book that my husband got me that I had already read. I sometimes wonder in this day and age if they will be able to continue this policy. Anything that I need I get at Costco if they carry it. Most of the time they have the best price but even if they don't they still get my business.
post #465 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Judy,

Years ago Costco did not have any time limit on returns. Then people started taking advantage and bringing back their TV's and computers after using them for a year or longer and getting the latest most powerful ones. Finally, a few years ago Costco had to implement the 90 day rule on computers and TV's. It was costing them too much, from what I read.

I am a member of both Costco and Sams (close to my house). I have asked and Costco's policy is "Customer's Satisfaction". Sam's I was told you have to show the item was defective, mislabeled or did not fit. Big difference as well as how they pay and treat their employees. Costco has my loyalty!
post #466 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Hughh,

I am aware of that change and I sure don't blame them. I know people who used Costcos generous return policy in the past to get a new TV every year or two. I have also read that Costco pays their employees a decent wage and offers them good benefits. I to have memberships with Costco and Sams and also BJs but I use Costco 95% of the time. Like you I am a loyal Costco customer and I hope people will use their return policy without abusing it. I hope they don't have to go to 30 days for returns on electronics like most other stores
post #467 of 823 Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:

I doubt there would be an issue, but I would call them 1st to make sure. No point in packing it up and bringing it to Costco without knowing they'll take it back.

Bob
post #468 of 823 Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 AM

Thanks to all for your advice...did pick up the 55HX701, it's up and running. Still sitting in Lazyboy and pic is beautiful with much more detail now. Should I leave on for 4 days straight to break in quicker? Want to wait at least 2 weeks before returning the 46" to make sure new one is viable. Wish they had offered the 55" last month, would have chosen it then. Costco is the best with the 3rd year warranty due to American Express purchase. They did make an additional $500 sale, Sony will fully test the 46" and sell it in their outlet store to some lucky person. Am I bad for taking advantage of such a great policy? That policy is what drove me there...my main concern was being able to bring back a lemon TV within 90 days and not having to deal with Sony "service". Bob, your settings work on this one also!
post #469 of 823 Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Try the following settings

MotionFlow: High
CineMotion: Auto1

That produces an incredibly manipulated image that has so much more dimensionality and depth than the standard image, there is a 3D pop effect.

Soap opera effect, yada yada, but impressive. Its a pity that during fast pans there is a lot of judder, because all the slower scenes look amazing and seem to actually have more picture detail, which does not make sense.

Looks like the processing chip is not powerful enough to keep up with fast movement, so Sony have cheapened out there.

When switiching to CineMotion: Auto2 the effect is lost, it must be Auto1.

AND MAKE SURE YOU SWITCH AMBIENT SENSOR OFF - I agree with an earlier poster that said the picture is dull and dark until this feature is turned off.
post #470 of 823 Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Hi, Im a new on forum and have a doubts about my 40hx703. Is this normal that when I turn MotionFlow on High when I play some ps3 games, I can see a strange affect around character and many image disruptions? That effect looks like a warm air and is very visible on moving character or fast moving objects. Actually, Im very dissapointed about GAME mode, they set motionflow to very low or even turned it off beacuse in that mode image is moving not fluently (200hz???) and I cant even changed to STANDARD, so Im forced to play on any different mode... Could anybody confirm the same "warm air" effect whilst playing games? Thanks a lot.
post #471 of 823 Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks to all for your advice...did pick up the 55HX701, it's up and running. Still sitting in Lazyboy and pic is beautiful with much more detail now. Should I leave on for 4 days straight to break in quicker? Want to wait at least 2 weeks before returning the 46" to make sure new one is viable. Wish they had offered the 55" last month, would have chosen it then. Costco is the best with the 3rd year warranty due to American Express purchase. They did make an additional $500 sale, Sony will fully test the 46" and sell it in their outlet store to some lucky person. Am I bad for taking advantage of such a great policy? That policy is what drove me there...my main concern was being able to bring back a lemon TV within 90 days and not having to deal with Sony "service". Bob, your settings work on this one also!

Glad you got a good set. Costco is great to work with, gota love em. Their policy is the main reason I shop there also.
post #472 of 823 Old 08-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwieradee View Post

Hi, Im a new on forum and have a doubts about my 40hx703. Is this normal that when I turn MotionFlow on High when I play some ps3 games, I can see a strange affect around character and many image disruptions? That effect looks like a warm air and is very visible on moving character or fast moving objects. Actually, Im very dissapointed about GAME mode, they set motionflow to very low or even turned it off beacuse in that mode image is moving not fluently (200hz???) and I cant even changed to STANDARD, so Im forced to play on any different mode... Could anybody confirm the same "warm air" effect whilst playing games? Thanks a lot.

There is a reason why game mode disables motionflow: It takes so much processing that it induces a pretty bad input lag. Your overall experience would probably be much better in game mode.
post #473 of 823 Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM

I have a friend that works for costco and tells me that every tv and most electronics returned, is sent to savage for pennies on the dollar and is a loss to the store. So if you do buy a item and it is not defective or damaged consider this so that we don't sway them to changing there policy.
post #474 of 823 Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post

There is a reason why game mode disables motionflow: It takes so much processing that it induces a pretty bad input lag. Your overall experience would probably be much better in game mode.

Ok, but I can't stand how image behave in this mode. When I open a map (red dead redemption) and I start moving it, all words on map bacame blur and not impossible to read. Only when in different mode I change motionflow to High it starts looking properly. Maybe I just expected too much but MotionFlow 200hz and I cant see words on moving objects??
post #475 of 823 Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 AM

I have a question, I currently have my cable box, ps3, and xbox hooked up to HDMI through my Denon receiver, but I noticed when I try to stream pandora or netflix from the TV menu, the sound does not come out the speakers but the TV itself. Is there anyway to change this so I can use my surround speakers with the tv menu?
post #476 of 823 Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 PM

I just exchanged the 46" model for the 55" at Costco. What an awesome upgrade, except the damn glass has dust and debris behind it. I will be calling in about this.

Is there a way to turn off the automatic input switching when a device is powered on?
post #477 of 823 Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granto86 View Post

I have a question, I currently have my cable box, ps3, and xbox hooked up to HDMI through my Denon receiver, but I noticed when I try to stream pandora or netflix from the TV menu, the sound does not come out the speakers but the TV itself. Is there anyway to change this so I can use my surround speakers with the tv menu?

I don't know the answer to your question. The way I have it hooked-up, the DirectTV DVR and the DVD player are connected using HDMI to my Onkyo receiver and from there it goes to my TV, again with HDMI. I have the TV speakers silenced, as it should be, and all sounds are switched through the 5.1 via the Onkyo. You can listen at any volume, soft, loud or in-between through the much better sound system, including Pandora, YouTube, etc.
post #478 of 823 Old 08-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwieradee View Post

Ok, but I can't stand how image behave in this mode. When I open a map (red dead redemption) and I start moving it, all words on map bacame blur and not impossible to read. Only when in different mode I change motionflow to High it starts looking properly. Maybe I just expected too much but MotionFlow 200hz and I cant see words on moving objects??

Isthis your first LCD? Because what you describe is typical LCD/led behavior. All cd and computer monitor will introduce motion blur on a panning scene ( or when moving the map in red dead redemption). It's normal. Motionflow and other motion blur reduction engine will reduce that effect but will introduce input delays between what you press on your controller and the action being perform on screen.

Get a plasma tv if you want to be able to reduce this effect.
post #479 of 823 Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 AM

REPLY TO tn.sonyman........Not sure about that, in any case would think that Sony would give Costco full credit for a returned item cause they sell so many. Salesman at a Sony Outlet store told me if tv is returned with something wrong it's broken down for parts. But if it's a damaged box (possibly damaged) or if it's just returned for a larger model, then tv is tested and sold in an outlet store and called "refurbished". He says you have a better chance of getting a "good" tv at an outlet, because they are 100% bench tested rather than 1 in a 100 on the assembly line. I will tell Costco there's nothing wrong with tv, just wanted the larger model and show my receipt for the 55". They may monitor my purchases for a while to see if I'm an abuser (not), so it'll be OK.
post #480 of 823 Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 AM

hughh: HDTVTest.co.uk have tested the KDL-40EX703 and they say that the KDL40EX703 is also the first Sony-branded HDTV they have reviewed that uses a Sharp UV2A panel, rather than the Super PVA type which Sony has been manufacturing with Samsung for half a decade now.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...0100724786.htm

So your not correct that only the 60" panels have the Sharp UV2A LCD panel. So it is logical that Sony uses also for the HX700 series the Sharp UV2A (deep black) panel. Having said this, most manufactures are not so keen to give information about the source of the LCD panels they use.

hristolav2 did a post in the ex500 topic and info shows the 700 line will have sharp UV2A panels, ex700, nx700 and hx700 all use the same panels.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/11914018-post101.html
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page