Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 822 Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I kept my 2nd 55" HX701 and have been very very happy. Glad I exchanged it though cause the 1st one def had screen issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 822 Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I am really living this tv so far. No plans to return it. As you mentioned, $698 was not bad at all. Great picture, looks nice with the monolith design, love the connectivity.

Thanks Bucknuts for the recommendation. I like it better than the 46" Samsung I had. Saved $900 also!
post #723 of 822 Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat_fan View Post

I kept my 2nd 55" HX701 and have been very very happy. Glad I exchanged it though cause the 1st one def had screen issues.

It would have been nice to get a 55", but too big for my bedroom!

Some day!
post #724 of 822 Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Heh mines headed to the bedroom in a decade or so. Should be nice. Right now the 24" Wega that was my livingroom tv lives there.
post #725 of 822 Old 01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat_fan View Post

Heh mines headed to the bedroom in a decade or so. Should be nice. Right now the 24" Wega that was my livingroom tv lives there.

My 40" is in the bedroom, replacing a 16 year old Sony 27" tube tv!
post #726 of 822 Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I asked this a month or so back but if any of you see the 40" appear somewhere other than Sam's or a Sony B&M please let me know.
post #727 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr
I asked this a month or so back but if any of you see the 40" appear somewhere other than Sam's or a Sony B&M please let me know.
Just checked Amazon. Lowest price for new is around 9 bills, including shipping. That's about 2 bills more than Sam's if you need to go elsewhere. Seems like you could join Sam's and order from them!
post #728 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 AM

I picked up a 40HX701 floor model for $600 afew weeks ago at Sam's, new in box still available online for $698.
post #729 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post

Just checked Amazon. Lowest price for new is around 9 bills, including shipping. That's about 2 bills more than Sam's if you need to go elsewhere. Seems like you could join Sam's and order from them!

Thanks...I did see that but it kind of takes the steam out of it. I was hoping a batch of these would pop up elsewhere. Sam's may the only way go as I can see these going completely out of stock soon.
post #730 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTDI View Post

I picked up a 40HX701 floor model for $600 afew weeks ago at Sam's, new in box still available online for $698.

Nice!

I only saw one at Sam's, on a rack to the side, no box, no controller etc.
post #731 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Thanks...I did see that but it kind of takes the steam out of it. I was hoping a batch of these would pop up elsewhere. Sam's may the only way go as I can see these going completely out of stock soon.

I think so - it has been discontinued.
post #732 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM

55" is too big for a bedroom
post #733 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM

In early December, I had purchased a Samsung ln40C630, whch had tuner problems. I replaced it and the second set also had tuner problems. I ended up buying the 40HX701, based, in part, on this thread, and I'm glad that I did. Great picture (I think better than the Samsung), NO tuner issues, nice features, and a great price (at Sam's Club - I had to join, but my wife is happy with that as well). I just wish that the internet features offered more free content, like full versions of shows on CBS television (instead of clips) or Hulu (normal) or PBS.org.
post #734 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Lucky Americans with their usable widgets! I don't think I get CBS or PBS widgets here. Eh.
post #735 of 822 Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteholiz View Post

In early December, I had purchased a Samsung ln40C630, whch had tuner problems. I replaced it and the second set also had tuner problems. I ended up buying the 40HX701, based, in part, on this thread, and I'm glad that I did. Great picture (I think better than the Samsung), NO tuner issues, nice features, and a great price (at Sam's Club - I had to join, but my wife is happy with that as well). I just wish that the internet features offered more free content, like full versions of shows on CBS television (instead of clips) or Hulu (normal) or PBS.org.

Yeah, I agree. I finally tried CBS. I saw they had Survivor. I thought - Great! Nope - only clips.

I guess I will continue to get shows over Netflix. Watching the new Battlestar Galactica again. All seasons are on Netflix.

I will see how Google tv reviews come in. I have 1 more year on DirecTV. Then I would like to go to web tv only, hopefully with minimal cost. Looks like Apple tv is a buck a show? Maybe just Netflix for me.
post #736 of 822 Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 AM

[quote=madurodave;19905803]I am really living this tv so far. No plans to return it. As you mentioned, $698 was not bad at all. Great picture, looks nice with the monolith design, love the connectivity.

Last week I purchased a SONY KDL40HX701 locally [Chicago area] @Sam's for $698, set-up went fine and everything is connected correct. But I have a few issues I'm still working thru.

First of all, for a TV with so many features hard to believe how cheap SONY is as they only provide a bare-bones paper 'booklet'. I hate the Bravia i-Manual but with it I was able to find most of what I needed. For those who can use it I also found an on-line link to the i-Manual:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/imanua..._features.html

My questions:

1] PICTURE SETTINGS--any suggestions, optimum calibration setting for general HDTV/Sports viewing, etc.
2] AUDIO SETTINGS--I may have missed it but the i-Manual shows nothing regarding a 'basic' audio set-up. Any setting recomendations for general HDTV audio.
3] PICTURE-IN-PICTURE--am stumped trying to find this. The HX701 has PIP but how does one configure it? Previous TV's I've owned with PIP I was able to view both TV and other content, such as DVD or VCR, which I'm trying now to do [PIP is a key feature I really want].

My connections:
Cable Box---HDMI 1
DVD Player---Component
VCR---Composite [on rear]

i-Manual says...'press OPTIONS and choose PIP'...but there's no PIP option to select. It also notes 'available inputs may very depending on TV model'. i-Manual also says...'will display two pictures (PC input & TV program/composite video) on the screen simultaneously'.

Am hoping one who owns an HX701 series Bravia can confirm with Picture-in-Picture one can view TV and DVD or VCR with connections as I have above and if so, direct me how to do this.

Any pointers or help appreciated. Any user feedback from others who have this identical model?

Chuck
post #737 of 822 Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

I am really living this tv so far. No plans to return it. As you mentioned, $698 was not bad at all. Great picture, looks nice with the monolith design, love the connectivity.

Thanks Bucknuts for the recommendation. I like it better than the 46" Samsung I had. Saved $900 also!

No problem, glad you like it, for the money its a steal.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #738 of 822 Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Hi All... Help!

Does anyone know what USB drives are supported by these HX701s? I keep getting "software cannot be updated using this usb device" message. I tried five different USB drives (kingston, sandisk twice, corsair, and acer)...

I need to upgrade my firmware as my picture and sound are not synced and netflix won't work. I am on a PKG1.111AAL version and it Refuses to update over the network. I can update the internet content without error, but it won't do anything else.

I am ready to throw this TV out the window... Its been nothing but trouble since I got it. Arg!

Thanks! -Cheers, Peter.
post #739 of 822 Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrunnen
Hi All... Help!

Does anyone know what USB drives are supported by these HX701s? I keep getting "software cannot be updated using this usb device" message. I tried five different USB drives (kingston, sandisk twice, corsair, and acer)...

I need to upgrade my firmware as my picture and sound are not synced and netflix won't work. I am on a PKG1.111AAL version and it Refuses to update over the network. I can update the internet content without error, but it won't do anything else.

I am ready to throw this TV out the window... Its been nothing but trouble since I got it. Arg!

Thanks! -Cheers, Peter.
I used my San Disk to update mine, no issues with updates. It is a 2GB stick.
post #740 of 822 Old 02-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Picked up a 40hx701 at my local sam's last night. Pleased so far. But a few issues.

I found it off near the clearance/display items, it was in its original box, but had obviously been opened and taped closed. It didnt have any papers or stickers attached to it stating that it was a return or display or anything. I asked the manager, and he said looked like that it is just a discontinued item they are plannin on putting on the clearance shelf. He gave me a decent discount, so i went ahead and purchased it.
Getting home, everything was inside, but it had obviously been opened. The bag that the manual/papers were in had been opened, then everything put back and taped closed. The manual had been written on, it had a number on it and some doodle-ing. When googled the number, it came back as the Sony support line.
Now, I havent had any problems from the tv other than the speakers popping every now and then (rarely/randomly, only happened about 4 times in 24 hours use). Picture quality is good, and everything seems okay. There was no inital setup screen or anything, just went straight into my shows. But the fact that this tv is obviously a return now, and whomever had it first contacted support, I am a bit worried about what i got into.
I do have a full 90 day guarantee, so i can take it back at any point in that for any reason. But beyond that im kinda scaring myself. If i call that number, would they have this serial number on file, and possibly inform me of the problem?

any advice? thanks!
post #741 of 822 Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Yes - you should be able to call Sony and ask about prior history.

Popping speakers? Maybe that was the complaint? I do not have that issue on mine.
post #742 of 822 Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM

@madurodave,
Well... based on your post, I took a pile of usb sticks home from work. Formatted them all, loaded on the update files, and tried them one by one. I finally found a 512MB Kingston that worked... seems most of my issues are resolved now. Sound output is in sync and netflix is working... but I have had the normal tv audio not return after exiting netflix... not sure if that is a fluke or not...

I guess I am just old school... Updating my TV just seems so silly.

Thanks! -Cheers, Peter.
post #743 of 822 Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrunnen View Post

@madurodave,
Well... based on your post, I took a pile of usb sticks home from work. Formatted them all, loaded on the update files, and tried them one by one. I finally found a 512MB Kingston that worked... seems most of my issues are resolved now. Sound output is in sync and netflix is working... but I have had the normal tv audio not return after exiting netflix... not sure if that is a fluke or not...

I guess I am just old school... Updating my TV just seems so silly.

Thanks! -Cheers, Peter.

Now that it is updated, set it for auto updates. No more worries then!

I did not notice losing audio when exiting Netflix. I will look at that.
post #744 of 822 Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM

i live in canada and i just received the 55 inch version, i do not see the netflix app on the home screen does anyone know why? is it because i live in canada? i must say the glare on my pioneer elite 151fd is a lot less than the hx701 i have no issues with the pioneer but with the hx its really bad in day time, viewing angles are horrible. Im hoping that someone here post some good settings please. Im going to be getting my tv pioneer pro calibrated in march and also this hx but now im debating if this tv is worth calibrating just my first impressions, havent tested bluray just hd shaw cable channels i guess just the glare bothers me also not sure if its the incripted hd channels or the tv but i notice some blur around objects not sure if its whats called ghosting
post #745 of 822 Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_2_9 View Post

i live in canada and i just received the 55 inch version, i do not see the netflix app on the home screen does anyone know why? is it because i live in canada? i must say the glare on my pioneer elite 151fd is a lot less than the hx701 i have no issues with the pioneer but with the hx its really bad in day time, viewing angles are horrible. Im hoping that someone here post some good settings please. Im going to be getting my tv pioneer pro calibrated in march and also this hx but now im debating if this tv is worth calibrating just my first impressions, havent tested bluray just hd shaw cable channels i guess just the glare bothers me also not sure if its the incripted hd channels or the tv but i notice some blur around objects not sure if its whats called ghosting

The full monolithic glass panel will give you glare. It also gives a great picture. Only you can decide if you can live with it. Luckily, my bedroom only sees afternoon sun. I only watch tv in there at night and occassionally early a.m., so no issues for me.

As far as ghosting, properly setting up the tv should cure that. There are settings posted in this forum that should work until you have it calibrated.
post #746 of 822 Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Hugo,
I remember reading a few posts where they said Netflix is not in Canada yet. You may want to call them and see what's the latest...
post #747 of 822 Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:

No, the only grainy blacks I see are when there is no input signal. With the DirecTV and HDMI, no grainy blacks at all.

Just got my Netflix working. I had to get the updated software from the Sony site and install. It works now. Kind of a simple version compared to Samsung's version which I really liked.

So, I am a new owner of 40HX701, and I want to use the Bravia Internet Video capabilities, ie: Netflix, Pandora. Can I use this TV without my PC, or a ROKU type device? That is, could I connect directly to one of the Ethernet ports on my my Linksys wireless Router? Or must I use my PC, and setup the Send from PC to TV, and output from PC to TV always?
post #748 of 822 Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTDI View Post

So, I am a new owner of 40HX701, and I want to use the Bravia Internet Video capabilities, ie: Netflix, Pandora. Can I use this TV without my PC, or a ROKU type device? That is, could I connect directly to one of the Ethernet ports on my my Linksys wireless Router? Or must I use my PC, and setup the Send from PC to TV, and output from PC to TV always?

just connect it to the your router
post #749 of 822 Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 AM

Thanks. Ordered a 75' Cat5e cable from BlueJeansCable.com, they have great pricing on custom lengths and offer a fairly extensive listing of AV, audio, and data cables as well!
post #750 of 822 Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 PM

i got this tv as a discounted replacement from sony, does anyone know if i can exchange it or return it for a refund?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page