Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 822 Old 03-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
received my HX701 today, set it sup really quickly on my lunch break.

Intial impression is the TV looks great. Haven't had a chance to adjust anything or play any blue-blu. Although I did play a PS3 game real quick and it looked really sharp.

My only concern so far is the TV seems to wobble alot on the stand. The stand came pre-assembled and I just had to put the TV on it and screw in the 4 provided screws. Does anyone else's TV do the same and I am just being a little concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 822 Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Although I did play a PS3 game real quick and it looked really sharp.

Noticed any input lag?
post #93 of 822 Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reighm01 View Post

My only concern so far is the TV seems to wobble alot on the stand. The stand came pre-assembled and I just had to put the TV on it and screw in the 4 provided screws. Does anyone else's TV do the same and I am just being a little concerned.

Congratulations on your purchase.
I don't think it's an issue to have a wobbly stand, well because my Samsung B650 also seems to be very unstable. I guess it's just a major drawback for a swivel stand.
post #94 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 AM

I am getting 55HX701 in replacement of KDF60WF655. Actually, I did not know about the exchange program and got 55EX701 from Costco a couple of weeks ago. But I will be returning it upon receit of HX, thanks to Costco's 90 day return policy.

I sent the serial sticker on Thursday (18th), they get the sticker on Friday at 10:30 (FedEx). I got the confirmation email (receit of sticker) Monday, yesterday (22nd). My card has not been charged yet.
post #95 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 AM

I received an email from sony yesterday, it said my TV has shipped , and provided a DB website to track.But the number can't be found on the OB system yet!!!what happen?
post #96 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just received my 55HX701 yesterday. Didn't have a whole lot of time to tweak things. The tv looks very nice. Hooked it both with OTA and DTV and the picture looks great. I watched some basketballl and I did not see any motion blur. Tonight I'm going to watch some hockey, so that will be a good test. It will be nice to not see "yellow" ice. I can see the panel being reflective in bright rooms. Mine is located in the basement so it's not a problem. Played a bit of Battlefied 2 BC and MW2 on the Xbox 360 and I didn't notice any input lag. I used the Game mode for this. I did notice more "jaggies" on Battlefield though. I'm going to play with the tv more tonight. I didn't have a chance to check out the internet stuff yet. Also, I'm not seeing any "grainy" look on the display. All in all I'm very satisfied with this tv to replace my 50"XBR1.
post #97 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Liked: 17
hey congats wheelzbat. do you think that you could give a little review about this tv after you have put some time in with it and maybe post some pictures once again congrats.
post #98 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy98989 View Post

I received an email from sony yesterday, it said my TV has shipped , and provided a DB website to track.But the number can't be found on the OB system yet!!!what happen?

When you go their tracking site, right above where you enter the number make sure and change the pulldown menu and select "Customer reference number".
post #99 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav3 View Post

When you go their tracking site, right above where you enter the number make sure and change the pulldown menu and select "Customer reference number".

Thx, yes I did it , but nothing yet!!!don't know how to do with this, call sony or call OB?
post #100 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I realized that this TV probably has better blacks than the other plasmas in the room and could probably compete with the local dimming models, since I forgot to take into account that the backlight was on maximum and the picture was set to vivid. I usually watch my Sony in a dark room with the backlight at minimum with cinema settings.

Seriously, this set looked as black as an xbr8, possibly sans a full black screen.

eieio, I was at the union square Bestbuy, too. It was just sitting there and I was in shock that this model was coming, since I was hoping for a successor to xbr9 but didn't see any announcement of the model. This could possibly be my next set, although I'm waiting to get an idea about 2011. I also got a look at this model at the Bestbuy around 62nd and Broadway (somewhere before Lincoln Center).

This was my first time getting to see the xel-1 oled and I can honestly say, I didn't get what the big deal was. Then again, it's an 11" tv

It's possible that they're using a new S-LCD panel with this model, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has better blacks than the VT25 plasma on axis.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #101 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

I have received the 55HX701 on 2/22/10 Monday morning right before going to work. From first power up and viewing, I can say this TV is not bad at all with its picture quality. Blacks are decent but to me not as uniform as it was on the 60xbr1 SXRD it has replaced due the Sony replacement program. Being an LCD, I do experience a wash out effect when I shift to about a 45 to 50 degree off center viewing. So this Tv is a sweet spot watching type to me. I have to be at least 8ft away before I see a more uniform and even blacks and dark greys during dark scenes like space in Star wars. Before I semi calibrated and adjusted the picture, I felt the colors were definitely off. So I used AVSHD 709 calibration disk and some color filters to get the best adjustment with the white balance etc.out of it. The picture does look more natural and clean. Is it accurate? Most likely not. I need to invest in a calorimeter such as the EYE 1 or Colormunki! But for now those are my subjective statements.

I ran a Rock Band 2 lag calibration and the result was.. .. 96 ms audio, and 56 ms video. This is done with Game-original scene turned on and all picture enhancements such as Motionflow turned off. This is the best method I could use to test lag until I can get a better setup to do a CRT vs. LCD comparo.

I am not sure about the look of motionflow though, especially on high, gives me motion sickness
post #102 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM

I received an email on the 15th that they had received my sticker and would process the replacement tv.

Got a call today that it'll be delivered tomorrow, the 24th. I'm in Virginia, so not bad turn around time.

I have the stand that went with the 60SX955. Will I be able to put the 55HX701 on it?
post #103 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did Sony ever send you any more emails between the time when they sent you the confirmation email on the 15th and the call that you got today about delivery?
post #104 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav3 View Post

I received an email on the 15th that they had received my sticker and would process the replacement tv.

Got a call today that it'll be delivered tomorrow, the 24th. I'm in Virginia, so not bad turn around time.

I have the stand that went with the 60SX955. Will I be able to put the 55HX701 on it?

I replaced a 60XS955 with the 55HX701 and the stand is actually too big. The TV looks a bit strange on such a deep stand.. if the TV were elevated more from the tabletop, I could put my center channel speaker on the stand in front of the tv...
post #105 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

Did Sony ever send you any more emails between the time when they sent you the confirmation email on the 15th and the call that you got today about delivery?

Got one this morning saying the tv had been shipped and providing me with a tracking number. That was it though.
post #106 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoo View Post

I replaced a 60XS955 with the 55HX701 and the stand is actually too big. The TV looks a bit strange on such a deep stand.. if the TV were elevated more from the tabletop, I could put my center channel speaker on the stand in front of the tv...

I may have to leave it there until I can find a full motion mount. Are there any for this model yet or would any one for that size tv work?
post #107 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

55HX701 close up shot of pixels, does this help folks identify the exact type of panel this tv uses?

post #108 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

55HX701 close up shot of pixels, does this help folks identify the exact type of panel this tv uses?

HI: eieio, I found you pasted post, you had the same case with me , received the shipping email from sony, but can't track it on the DB website. How about your tracking number right now? Did you receive your TV? How you deal with this, thanks advance for share your experance !!
post #109 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Not much talk about calibration on this thread, is there?

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #110 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM

I received a call from DB this morning and my 55HX701 was delivered at noon. I received an email from Sony at 7:30 this evening with no tracking number, alerting me to expect a call from a delivery company.

Anyway, I am very impress with this TV. The PQ is amazing, better than the SXRD it replaces. I set up the stand to the 6 degree tilt and reflection is not an issue. I just watch The Pacific on HBO and it looked, as my son put it, "better than real". And, this is without making any tweaks yet.

DLNA works without a problem. The TV was able to access my server in my network and play videos, mp3s and display my picture collection. Netflix also worked great.

When it comes to calibration I don't know where to begin. It looks so good as is, I am not sure if I would change anything. Would somebody offer some wisdom as to how to go about calibrating this unit. Who know, it may even look better with some tweaking.

Thanks!
post #111 of 822 Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondor5 View Post

When it comes to calibration I don't know where to begin. It looks so good as is, I am not sure if I would change anything. Would somebody offer some wisdom as to how to go about calibrating this unit. Who know, it may even look better with some tweaking.

Thanks!

I do agree it looks good right off the bat before touching anything. Even just setting to Cinema mode made it look better. However, I felt the skin tones looked quashed and flat. Breaking out the AVSHD 709 disc revealed why on the greyscale pattern test. On the darker end of the spectrum the greys had a more pronounced brownish tone. On Warm 2 it seemed even worse, so I put it on Warm 1 and the brown tones were more scaled back but still there. However there was some bluish overcast on Warm 1. So by eyeball, adjusted the greyscale in the white balance menu and was able to get rid of some that brownish color in the darker shades but not completely. I seriously need to invest in a CMS tool like a Datacolor Spyder or EyeOne Pro. I am very curious how close I got to the ideal 6500K across all IRE's. I am also curious how well this particular model will track across that spectrum. Even without such tools, a calibration disk like Digital Video Essentials, AVSHD 709, Spears and Munsils, and Avia are a great start to adjusting the picture and makes a big difference. You can buy these disks most anywhere where DVD's are sold or off Amazon. Except AVSHD 709, which is downloaded for free. The other discs come with color filters, which are worth having. Or you could hire a professional IFS calibration technician. I will continue to play around with this model some more after it breaks in around 100hrs.
post #112 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

Another Sharp x-gen panel

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #113 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM

Sticker arrived March 19th
Sony confirmed arrival March 22nd
My Card was charged on the 23rd
Called this morning and all they know is the shipper has not picked it up from the warehouse yet.

They confirmed I would get the next e-mail with tracking info on it after the shipper picks it up.

Worst case I guess is two weeks depending on where I hit in the cycle. I live in NJ.

Nothing is perfect if you look hard enough.
post #114 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hey bleedblue63:In the confirmation email (after you called Sony and got the offers and you picked the set you wanted) did it state in the email which model you picked? I ordered the 46NX700 but the email they sent me had this in it:

Thank you for contacting the Sony Exchange Dept.,

We are happy to confirm your acceptance of the replacement offer for a
KDL52EX701 $550 + local sales tax
KDL55HX701 $550 + local sales tax
KDL46NX700 $160 + local sales tax
KDL46Z5100 $50 + local sales tax

It didn't show which one I had agreed to order...it just showed all the models that I had a choice of even though I told the rep I wanted to get the NX700. He took my credit card number after I told him I wanted the NX700.
post #115 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy98989 View Post

HI: eieio, I found you pasted post, you had the same case with me , received the shipping email from sony, but can't track it on the DB website. How about your tracking number right now? Did you receive your TV? How you deal with this, thanks advance for share your experance !!

Hi Wendy: the hiccup was between the sony customer service/phone folks and their warehouse. it took a very long time, over 10 days, for my order to really get through that mess. DB Schenker was very "with it". how long it takes depends, obviously, on how far one lives from their San Diego warehouse. i'm in nyc so i'm basically as far as it gets except for maybe Maine!
post #116 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

Not much talk about calibration on this thread, is there?

That's because all lot of folks on here have not received their flat screen yet and still dealing with their issues with shipping from Sony and DB Schenker!
post #117 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Another Sharp x-gen panel

Ok - i'm not up on the different panels - but after looking around for a little bit, i still can't get a grasp on whether this is a good thing or a bad.

Some places i have read show that the Sharp X-Gen are the U2AV (or something like that) while other places seem to say that they could be, but not necessarily. I also see that the Sharp X-Gen are used in Sharp's line of LED televisions.

So - is a Sharp X-Gen a good thing or a bad thing ... or just a thing?
post #118 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Thank you for contacting the Sony Exchange Dept.,

We are happy to confirm your acceptance of the replacement offer for a KDL55HX701 for $550.00 + tax.

As discussed, remove and mail in the serial number sticker which is located on the back of your television to the below address.

Sony Electronics
Attention NSP: xxxxxxxxx
12451 Gateway Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33913

An email will be sent to you once we receive the serial number sticker. At that time, an order will be processed and your credit card will be charged. It takes approximately 2 weeks to reach your area. The shipper will call you once your television has arrived in your area to schedule a delivery appointment.

In consideration for Sony making and you accepting this offer, you agree to release and hold harmless Sony Electronics Inc., and its affiliates, officers and directors from any and all claims for damages, loss, cost, expense or liability both known and unknown, which you may have incurred in connection with your television KDSR60XBR1.

If you have any questions or concerns about your order please contact Sony at 866-850-8673.

Sincerely,

Sony Exchange Department

Nothing is perfect if you look hard enough.
post #119 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM

My parents have a 40HX701. Overall picture quality is nice. My Panasonic 46PZ81 handles better SD, but plasmas are usually better in that field. HD PQ seems nice, but I need more time to test it.

One issue I've noticed is sound through HDMI - is way to low. In SD is perfectly normal. has anyone noticed this too?
post #120 of 822 Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Hello, could someone please tell me, where the HX701 (which is available in the USA and Canada) is made according to the sticker on the back side of the set? Is it MADE IN JAPAN, or somewhere else?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page