Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 823 Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0sic View Post

Anyone have any luck tracking down discrete infrared codes? My Harmony One is nearly useless now.

I haven't had any luck.. Fortunately, all my inputs go through my receiver so it hasn't really been an issue. Harmony has a setup process for tv's without discrete inputs but I haven't tried it yet..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 823 Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM

has anyone done any calibrations yet to share with us ? thanks
post #183 of 823 Old 04-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0sic View Post

Anyone have any luck tracking down discrete infrared codes? My Harmony One is nearly useless now.

mo0sic: may i ask why your Harmony One is nearly useless with the 55HX701? i don't quite understand what you mean.

thx in advance!

new issue:

if one were to use the built-in Bravia Internet Video services, i.e. any of the ones that we can choose from, NPR, youtube, Netflix, etc., how would we route the SOUND from this type of streaming from the ethernet cable (plugged into the back of the Sony 55HX701) to our AV receiver? (in my case, it is the Onkyo 807).

right now, there's only the HDMI connecting the Onkyo 807's OUTPUT into Sony 55HX701 tv's HDMI input 1. the day-to-day tv is from the Time Warner DVR's HDMI output into the Onkyo 807's DVR input. Likewise, the bluray player is HDMI output into the Onkyo's DVD input.

obviously, the way it is connect now, there is NO sound being streamed from the Sony tv, which is streaming from, say, Netflix or youtube. there is video on the Sony tv's screen, but no sound, as there is no sound or video OUTPUT from the Sony tv to the Onkyo.

this must be a common problem/question by these new TV owners as these new internet/networked tv's are no longer only a display device only, they are also SOURCES as they stream video/sound from the internet (Sony Bravia Internet Video programming).

Thanks in advance.
post #184 of 823 Old 04-03-2010, 09:42 PM

I have all my HDMI sources connected to my HX701 and the optical audio out from the TV connected to my Yamaha RX-V1. All my audio is piped into my receiver including all internet sources like netflix and youtube.
post #185 of 823 Old 04-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

thx for your reply post.

may i ask why you chose to do all your video connections via HDMI but ALL to the sony 55HX701? won't that reduce the usefulness of the HDMI "repeater/switcher" in the AV receiver?

pardon my ignorance, i'm a newbie to this modern generation of AV receivers/tv's. my last set up (living room) was done 4 years ago (pre-Audyssey, et al), but i'd suspect that with my new Onkyo 807's Faroudja DCDi chip, that one may get benefits by this more powerful scaler/upscaler by passing all video sources, especially those with < 1080p (1080i, 720p, 480 etc), through the Onkyo 807 AV receiver. One would also get to use the AV receiver's repeater/HDMI switching capabilities as well. I doubt that the Sony 55HX701 tv has a built-in Faroudja DCDi scaling chip, though i may well be wrong in assuming that.

thx and look forward to hearing further clarification
post #186 of 823 Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 PM

Well, the Yamaha RX-V1 does not have HDMI support. It's an older unit, but the sound quality is so clean, I find it hard to replace it with a newer unit. One day....
post #187 of 823 Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post

mo0sic: may i ask why your Harmony One is nearly useless with the 55HX701? i don't quite understand what you mean.

thx in advance!

new issue:

if one were to use the built-in Bravia Internet Video services, i.e. any of the ones that we can choose from, NPR, youtube, Netflix, etc., how would we route the SOUND from this type of streaming from the ethernet cable (plugged into the back of the Sony 55HX701) to our AV receiver? (in my case, it is the Onkyo 807).

right now, there's only the HDMI connecting the Onkyo 807's OUTPUT into Sony 55HX701 tv's HDMI input 1. the day-to-day tv is from the Time Warner DVR's HDMI output into the Onkyo 807's DVR input. Likewise, the bluray player is HDMI output into the Onkyo's DVD input.

obviously, the way it is connect now, there is NO sound being streamed from the Sony tv, which is streaming from, say, Netflix or youtube. there is video on the Sony tv's screen, but no sound, as there is no sound or video OUTPUT from the Sony tv to the Onkyo.

this must be a common problem/question by these new TV owners as these new internet/networked tv's are no longer only a display device only, they are also SOURCES as they stream video/sound from the internet (Sony Bravia Internet Video programming).

Thanks in advance.

Connect the HX-701's optical output to one of the Onkyo's optical inputs, then when watching Netflix streaming, etc., switch the Onkyo's input from hdmi to the optical input you used. Switch back when finished.
post #188 of 823 Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I doubt that the Sony 55HX701 tv has a built-in Faroudja DCDi scaling chip, though i may well be wrong in assuming that.

thx and look forward to hearing further clarification

Sony's don't have Faroudja scaling chips, but they do have BRAVIA Engine that includes DRC (digital reality creation) Multi-function processing chip. It's probably way better than the Faroudja chip

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...45E/index.html
post #189 of 823 Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 PM

There is no DRC circuit in Bravia Engine , Bravia Engine 2 and Bravia Engine 3.

Bravia Engine EX has DRC-MF 1.0 , Bravia Engine PRO has DRC-MF 2.5 and Bravia Engine 2 PRO has DRC-MF 3.

There is no more DRC circuit as Sony thinks there is no need to develop this kind of circuit and most of the R&D staff of DRC are now working for Samsung.

Sony is dead.
post #190 of 823 Old 04-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

Bravia Engine EX has DRC-MF 1.0 , Bravia Engine PRO has DRC-MF 2.5 and Bravia Engine 2 PRO has DRC-MF 3.

There is no more DRC circuit as Sony thinks there is no need to develop this kind of circuit and most of the R&D staff of DRC are now working for Samsung.

thx all for helping me to begin understanding this. now, with the Bravia Engine 3 in my 55HX701 (and no DRC at all), which is the better alternative:

1) ask the AV receiver/HDMI repeater to go to the "through" mode in video, meaning pass through every signal the way it was received, untouched, right through to the TV, or

2) upscale whatever is coming in to 1080p

which of these two would result in better results?

thx again in advance.
post #191 of 823 Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

Dang, no more DRC. Still, BRAVIA engine 3 still upconverts both HD and SD signals.
post #192 of 823 Old 04-05-2010, 04:52 PM

I have to tell you the 55HX701 looks very nice out of the box. The only adjustment I made so far was to turn off the ambient light sensor. My room is usually very dark and I think the sensor produced a picture that was a bit too dark for me. Other than that Standard looks very nice.

Having said that I will tweak it in Custom mode soon but will use the standard settings as a starting point.

My only complaints are the glossy screen and the remote. Just ordered the Sony 600 series remote off Amazon for $22. At least that one has a sleep timer button.

Nothing is perfect if you look hard enough.
post #193 of 823 Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

when streaming something like Netflix from either your Bluray player or your new 55HX701 tv, if we were to connect the tv to the AV receiver (like the Onkyo 807) via Optical audio cable, will the resulting sound be 5.1? or merely 2.0?

if the answer is merely 2.0, then wouldn't it make sense to use the Bluray player's streaming capabilities, rather than the tv's streaming/networking capabilities, assuming they both have Netflix, and other services? The reason being the Bluray player is connected as a "source" to the AV receiver via HDMI, so the sound will definitely be 5.1.

anyone with experience with this?

thx in advance!
post #194 of 823 Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:

when streaming something like Netflix from either your Bluray player or your new 55HX701 tv, if we were to connect the tv to the AV receiver (like the Onkyo 807) via Optical audio cable, will the resulting sound be 5.1? or merely 2.0?

if the answer is merely 2.0, then wouldn't it make sense to use the Bluray player's streaming capabilities, rather than the tv's streaming/networking capabilities, assuming they both have Netflix, and other services? The reason being the Bluray player is connected as a "source" to the AV receiver via HDMI, so the sound will definitely be 5.1.

anyone with experience with this?

thx in advance!

This is dependent on whether or not the video has 5.1 audio encoded. It's my understanding that most Netflix streaming video is strictly stereo. I've only tried Netflix and Youtube so far and it's definitely coming through as stereo. I have my HX701 connected to my Onkyo 707 via an optical cable and have yet to see anything beyond stereo sound. I would assume though that there are plenty of 5.1 audio sources but I haven't taken the time to go through the other streaming "channels" to find any. I use my PS3 to stream Netflix (better picture quality) and I don't really have much interest in much beyond that. I wish the TV were set up so that each streaming channel was considered a separate input. It would make it easier to set up my harmony to quickly jump between different viewing modes..
post #195 of 823 Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM

I spent the first week with my 55HX701 fumbling around with the settings and never really being satisfied so I purchased DVE on blu-ray and went through the process and was pretty happy with the results. I've spent about a week and a half gently tweaking my settings since then and I haven't touched the settings at all for a few days so I think I've got the picture settings just right for my eyes. Since this is the owner's calibration thread I thought I would try being the first to post my settings. I know many people feel that using someone else's settings is a big mistake so YMMV but here it is in case you want to try it out..

Ambient Sensor : On

(My TV is in a room with many windows during the day but I like to watch TV in pitch dark at night so the sensor allows me to set the brightness/backlight once and not be constantly readjusting)

Display Area: Full Pixel

Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 3
Picture: 85
Brightness: 59
Color: 52
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Standard (I use Std for TV and any animation. Off for Live Action BD)
Cinemotion: Auto2 (I can't actually see any difference when I change these values)

Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Corrector: Off
Gamma: -2
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off

DVE didn't really provide a lot of assistance in adjusting the white balance and what little it did provide seemed to show that the white balance was pretty much on the mark so I didn't adjust white balance at all.

That's it.. hope this helps all of you out there busily tweaking your HX701.. I'm ready to put the remote down and sit back...
post #196 of 823 Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoo View Post

I spent the first week with my 55HX701 fumbling around with the settings and never really being satisfied so I purchased DVE on blu-ray and went through the process and was pretty happy with the results. I've spent about a week and a half gently tweaking my settings since then and I haven't touched the settings at all for a few days so I think I've got the picture settings just right for my eyes. Since this is the owner's calibration thread I thought I would try being the first to post my settings. I know many people feel that using someone else's settings is a big mistake so YMMV but here it is in case you want to try it out..

(My TV is in a room with many windows during the day but I like to watch TV in pitch dark at night so the sensor allows me to set the brightness/backlight once and not be constantly readjusting)

Motionflow: Standard (I use Std for TV and any animation. Off for Live Action BD)
Cinemotion: Auto2 (I can't actually see any difference when I change these values)

DVE didn't really provide a lot of assistance in adjusting the white balance and what little it did provide seemed to show that the white balance was pretty much on the mark so I didn't adjust white balance at all.

That's it.. hope this helps all of you out there busily tweaking your HX701.. I'm ready to put the remote down and sit back...

Thank you! finally a calibration settings post in the calibration thread
post #197 of 823 Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have had the set for 10 days and left it pretty much factory stock. I have watched Blu Disc's of IMAX Under The Sea (Which is Demo Quality), Star Trek, and various live music disc's. The picture definitely needs some tweaking just Like the SXRD did as I found those calibrations here years ago which really helped the TV.

Thanks for being the 1st with your efforts as I wanted to buy DVE but the reviews scared me away. I'll report back soon.

Quote:

post #198 of 823 Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could anyone with the right setup do a quick input lag test on this one please? I'd love to get this set, but right now it's kind of a dealbreaker for me.
post #199 of 823 Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post

Could anyone with the right setup do a quick input lag test on this one please? I'd love to get this set, but right now it's kind of a dealbreaker for me.

This is a polish forum about this set. According to the first post, the input lag is 46-47 ms (illustrated with pictures). http://translate.google.hu/translate...&sl=auto&tl=en
post #200 of 823 Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi or scart View Post

This is a polish forum about this set. According to the first post, the input lag is 46-47 ms (illustrated with pictures). http://translate.google.hu/translate...&sl=auto&tl=en

Yeah but it's the only one so far, I wanted some kind of "second opinion".
post #201 of 823 Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM

On the HX701 can anyone tell me if its possible to turn off the start up sound effect when the Sony logo appears on the power up screen?

Nothing is perfect if you look hard enough.
post #202 of 823 Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Been real happy with my set, and was going to post my attempt at calibration, but I just went to the set to pull my settings and ive got a stuck pixel

Anyone know if there is anything I can do about it?
post #203 of 823 Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That sucks cmg75
post #204 of 823 Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg75 View Post

Been real happy with my set, and was going to post my attempt at calibration, but I just went to the set to pull my settings and ive got a stuck pixel

Anyone know if there is anything I can do about it?

I used JScreenFix and it has seemed to resolved the stuck pixel issue. Will see if it continues to work or if I will be calling Sony this week. I already miss my SXRD
post #205 of 823 Old 04-11-2010, 05:44 AM

I really appreciate the settings recommendaton from PYOO. But I did have one question. You said that you have "Display Area" set at "Full Pixel". But when I go to the "Display Area" setting on my 55HX700 (under Settings-->Display-->Screen), I have 3 choices: Normal, -1 or +1. I don't have a choice that says "Full Pixel".
post #206 of 823 Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QEman View Post

I really appreciate the settings recommendaton from PYOO. But I did have one question. You said that you have "Display Area" set at "Full Pixel". But when I go to the "Display Area" setting on my 55HX700 (under Settings-->Display-->Screen), I have 3 choices: Normal, -1 or +1. I don't have a choice that says "Full Pixel".

Dunno why... Is it possible that it has something to do with analog vs digital? I was configuring my hdmi1 connection when I selected full pixel. Are you using component?
post #207 of 823 Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue63 View Post

On the HX701 can anyone tell me if its possible to turn off the start up sound effect when the Sony logo appears on the power up screen?

The volume of the startup sound is tied to the tv volume. If you are running your audio through an audio receiver, you should be able to just turn the tv volume all the way down so you don't hear it when it turns on. Sorry for the lame solution but I don't think there a pref to turn it off.
post #208 of 823 Old 04-11-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:

The volume of the startup sound is tied to the tv volume. If you are running your audio through an audio receiver, you should be able to just turn the tv volume all the way down so you don't hear it when it turns on. Sorry for the lame solution but I don't think there a pref to turn it off.

I've turned the HX701 on and off in the store and didn't hear any sound (I guess Sony added a melody this year? Never knew they had one)
There should be a way to turn it off. If not, well... ..
post #209 of 823 Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 AM

I got the TV Saturday and so far just have an LG DVD player wired thru the RCA connections (I do plan to buy a 5.1 Yamaha A/V receiver and Pioneer blue ray player which will be wired via HDMI).

There's 2 ways to go to "Settings", simple enough, and then Display-->Screen-->Display Area. But when I click on "Display Area", my choices are: Normal, -1 or +1.

I'm very impressed with the set. The sound is also better than I expected. The only model that might appeal more to me is the back-lit LED HX900, but its not yet available in China. I'm not impressed with any of Sony's edge-lit LED models. Maybe my next set will be OLED if that indeed becomes the next technology (which will require them to get the production costs down).

I'm actually in China. My understanding is 55HX700s are produced at Sony's Shanghai plant (which might be why the menu on this particular model is limited to just 2 languages, that being English and Chinese). I paid the equivalent of $2,234.00 here. Converting the on-screen menu to English is easy, but of course the remote is in Chinese.

I was strongly suggested to go plasma and consider the Panasonic V10, but I needed a 50" for my viewing distance and only the 58" and 65" models are available here. The 50" G11 is here but after comparing both sets with a few movies (Star Trek, Memphis Belle and even McHales Navy), the 55HX700 seemed to have a much better picture.
post #210 of 823 Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:

Dunno why... Is it possible that it has something to do with analog vs digital? I was configuring my hdmi1 connection when I selected full pixel. Are you using component?

I found this on Sony Canada's "i-manual online"

Display Area
Adjusts the picture display area. Select Full Pixel to display the original picture when parts of the picture are cut, +1 to display the original picture, Normal to display the recommended size picture, or -1 to enlarge the picture.

Full Pixel is available depending on the TV model.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page