AVS Forum banner

Official 2010 Sony ...HX701 Owners Calibration thread

266K views 825 replies 174 participants last post by  ToiletSiphon 
#1 ·
Although elsewhere on AVS Forum there is a 2010 Bravia lineup thread,

THIS thread is specific to the 2010 Sony (LCD) "HX"701 Cold cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL) model of HDTV. Please post known factual information and verified calibration settings, owners adjustments etc.

At this time of original posting, March 8, 2010 the Sony HX701 model is a Canadian model offered to certain Americans. American XBR1 owners are being offered the Sony HX701 at a reduced rate in exchange for SXRD green blobs and yellow stains that recur on Sony XBR1 (and other LCOS models) circa 2005, 2006, 2007.

Anticipate availability in approximately mid-April 2010 in the USA via the Sony SXRD exchange program. There is some discussion of the HX701 herein within this AVSforum within the "Rear Projection Models" folder.

Although for other Sony Bravia models the XX0 vs. XX1 numeric distinction is intended to indicate a "Costco-specific" model, to the best of my knowledge at this time ... the HX701 is NOT a Costco-specific model. In the general internet web there are google results for an Asian 701 model, but it is not clear to me via Google Translation Toolbar if such an Asian HX701 is nearly similar to a Canadian HX701 or not. Perhaps a reader or lurker familiar with the language can contribute additional information in that regard.

The existing 2010 Bravia lineup thread covers a wide variety of models, contains inaccurate speculation, covers a wide geographic area, and hence is rather disorganized. Hence, THIS THREAD is specific to the 2010 Sony HX701 LCD CCFL HDTV.

Best regards to owners and potential owners. Enjoy your new HDTV.

Certainly, feel free to share your various opinions of 2010 Sony "HX"701 LCD CCFL HDTV picture settings, adjustments, tweaks, calibration results and overall impressions.

Leo Henton, a consumer, not affiliated with Sony.

See less See more
#604 ·
I bought this tv (40") yesterday @FutureShop in (Ontario-Canada) for C$1000+ 13%HST+C$EnviromentalFee(
). Minus C$150 that is credited to FutureShop card for spending over C$1000. Actually the price was C$999.99, so I bought the chewing gum to make it over C$1000. I have watched this set side by side at the store for an hour, I could not tell the the diffrence in e.g. contrast etc. between the LED models. Picture on this set seems to be more naturally looking, especially compare to e.g. Samsung 6300 and its' one of the best looking desing. Next I'll be testing it's internet and media playing formats capabilities.
Cheers

#605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionanimal /forum/post/19241722

I'm befuddled. The A/V receiver has two indications on front display of inbound Dolby Digital 5.1 audio over fiber optic from Sony HX55-701 from all suitable 5.1 inputs sent to the HDTV over inbound HDMI. I'm using the Tivo display to double check what has actual Dolby Digital 5.1 programming output from TiVo to Sony HX 701 HDTV and then on to the A / V receiver.

Yes, I'm really surprised by it, but that is what it indicates.

I'm reluctant to rearrange the components. Might do it on a slow day and report back in to clarify rumor control.

The A/V receiver is functioning properly.

Like I said, I'm befuddled. Hard to imagine that a AVS Club member with 18,000 posts could be in error. What am I missing? Anyone with a similar arrangement have observations to report as an innocent bye-stander ?

Was perusing this thread to help out my dad with his NX700, and ran across this post. I have a 2009 Sony 52Z5100, and I know for a fact that it outputs full 5.1 through its optical out, regardless of source...

#609 ·
I am having a problem with my HX701. It would not play Netflix or Pandora so I went to tools and tried to refresh my internet. It tries but after a while I get an error code of 2152. Has anyone else had this problem? My internet seems to be fine, my laptop connects as usual and Netflix works fine with my Roku. Pandora works fine on the computer. It seems to be some problem with the TV. Anyone have any ideas?

#610 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcomic /forum/post/19542673

So far this set is a good gaming TV.

Is anyone who own this TV experiencing the clouding issue as well ? I really enjoyed Sharp 810 but the set is plauged with clouding issue. I thought LCD does not have clouding issue similar to LED ?

Thank you

Mine had a cloulding issue as well. I tried different settings to see if i could get rid of it. While it helped some, it would not go away completely in dark scenes so it went back to the store.

#611 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy52 /forum/post/19546259

I am having a problem with my HX701. It would not play Netflix or Pandora so I went to tools and tried to refresh my internet. It tries but after a while I get an error code of 2152. Has anyone else had this problem? My internet seems to be fine, my laptop connects as usual and Netflix works fine with my Roku. Pandora works fine on the computer. It seems to be some problem with the TV. Anyone have any ideas?

Judy,

I assume you have the latest software upgrade for your tv? If not, then...

#612 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh /forum/post/19553498

Judy,

I assume you have the latest software upgrade for your tv? If not, then...

I do have the latest upgrade. I tried everything I knew and nothing worked so my husband decided to just unplug it for a few hours and now everything is working as it should. I still have no idea what was wrong. Thanks for your reply.

Judy

#613 ·
I picked up a 55" HX701 last week and so far have been extremely happy with it, the only thing I have an issue which happens during hockey games, if the pic is moving with a white background - such as when the camera pans to follow the puck, I can see a faint, less than white vertical section on the right portion of the screen. It's about 3" wide and just isn't as white as the rest of the picture. I can't see it unless there's movement and my eye gets drawn to it so it's kinda distracting. Is there a way to correct this that anyone knows of? It's the only gripe I have against an otherwise perfect tv.

If it is inherent to these tvs, is there a setting or combination of settings that might reduce it?

Thanks in advance.

#614 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat_fan /forum/post/19561973

I picked up a 55" HX701 last week and so far have been extremely happy with it, the only thing I have an issue which happens during hockey games, if the pic is moving with a white background - such as when the camera pans to follow the puck, I can see a faint, less than white vertical section on the right portion of the screen. It's about 3" wide and just isn't as white as the rest of the picture. I can't see it unless there's movement and my eye gets drawn to it so it's kinda distracting. Is there a way to correct this that anyone knows of? It's the only gripe I have against an otherwise perfect tv.

If it is inherent to these tvs, is there a setting or combination of settings that might reduce it?

Thanks in advance.

Never noticed this when watching hockey while I had this TV.

#616 ·
This is from a review of the HX800 (803 in UK). Noticed the "thin line" they are referring to. Could this be similar to what Tomcat is seeing?

Using the tried and tested FPD Benchmark Software Blu-ray Disc, we investigated the Sony KDL40HX803’s ability to portray clear motion. Unsurprisingly, with [Motionflow] turned off, the moving chart appeared very blurred, with the KDL-40HX803 managing to resolve only about 300 lines of resolution, which is standard for a “normal” LCD panel.

There are various [Motionflow] modes to help alleviate blurred motion. As well as the option to turn the system off completely, users can select “Smooth”, “Standard”, “Clear”, and “Clear Plus” settings. With the scrolling resolution test chart, we observed different effects with each. “Smooth” and “Standard” both caused the thin lines in the chart to flicker upon movement, whereas “Clear” caused a very subtle “ghost image” of the thin lines to appear as the chart scrolled. The “Clear Plus” option uses some sort of method which severely cuts light output from the screen, so we used the standard “Clear” setting.

#617 ·
I figured it out based on JonnyB's settings on page 1 of the HX800 thread. I had the tv set to Auto scene select. The loooong post (#2) on that thread indicates that certain scene modes cause sharpness to increase in multiples instead of what the setting is at. Also states this can cause banding in white areas. Following his settings I set the tv to cinema mode and backed the sharpness down to two. It's gone now, I spent the last 15 mins looking and there's nothing present in moving scenes with light backgrounds, I checked some scenes which had whites even brighter than ice, and it's GONE. In summary: phew! I'm happy to report that _all_ the issues I was stressed about encountering with a new tv - lip synch issues, flashlighting, judder, color/bleeding, etc etc are non issues with this tv. It's freaking awesome, and the fact that I paid less than I would have to the EX710 I decided on makes me giddy

#618 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat_fan
I figured it out based on JonnyB's settings on page 1 of the HX800 thread. I had the tv set to Auto scene select. The loooong post (#2) on that thread indicates that certain scene modes cause sharpness to increase in multiples instead of what the setting is at. Also states this can cause banding in white areas. Following his settings I set the tv to cinema mode and backed the sharpness down to two. It's gone now, I spent the last 15 mins looking and there's nothing present in moving scenes with light backgrounds, I checked some scenes which had whites even brighter than ice, and it's GONE. In summary: phew! I'm happy to report that _all_ the issues I was stressed about encountering with a new tv - lip synch issues, flashlighting, judder, color/bleeding, etc etc are non issues with this tv. It's freaking awesome, and the fact that I paid less than I would have to the EX710 I decided on makes me giddy
Glad to hear you found your problem.

for the record, for regular TV viewing and sports, I used to always set it to standard. Backlight was set to 3, picture to either 87 or 90. as for motion flow, it was set to standard . seemed to work great for watching TV and hockey.

good luck. I really wanted to keep mind, but after 2 exchanges, I ended up giving up on this TV due to bad clouding. It seems I wasn't the luckiest person regarding clouding and this set. If you are curious, if you go back a few pages, you will see the pictures I took from watching the dark Knight movie.

#619 ·
I've seen them. One of the reasons i was on the fence about choosing this tv was I spent too much time on these forums researching, so I just had to choose one and hope for the best. Sens and Oilers are in intermission now, I'm watching first period highlights after missing the 1st and things look fine. Thanks for the settings info, I took pics of how I have them now so I'm gonna start experimenting after work tomorrow.

#620 ·
I know I have 3 posts in a row here now but after a week with this tv I have a question about dealing with the picture I'm seeing 5% of the time of taking my chances on a new set.

Guys, have any of you noticed a darker area on the right side of the picture when watching sports, say hockey, football or golf? I can see a faintly off area that looks like it's ever so slightly a different shade compared to the rest of the screen. It doesn't happen on still images, just on panning scenes shot against a solid background.

I'm debating swapping my otherwise perfect tv for a new one tonight, but am not sure if there's any point if this is an inherent part of HX701s.

#621 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat_fan /forum/post/19601804

I know I have 3 posts in a row here now but after a week with this tv I have a question about dealing with the picture I'm seeing 5% of the time of taking my chances on a new set.

Guys, have any of you noticed a darker area on the right side of the picture when watching sports, say hockey, football or golf? I can see a faintly off area that looks like it's ever so slightly a different shade compared to the rest of the screen. It doesn't happen on still images, just on panning scenes shot against a solid background.

I'm debating swapping my otherwise perfect tv for a new one tonight, but am not sure if there's any point if this is an inherent part of HX701s.

If you could post picture, it would help us understand exactly the problem you are seeing.

This Tv is now dirty cheap. Man, if I could get my hands on a panel without clouding I'd buy another one...

#622 ·
And if I could get rid of this issue I would say the tv is 100% perfect. I just think that if others aren't seeing it on theirs it would be worth taking a risk on a new one.

I'm not sure I could capture it on camera, it's not easy to focus on with my eye even, it's almost easier to see out if the corner of your eye. I guess you could call it a clouded area, it's about the size of a deck of cards or so, it stands out because it's not the same shade as the surrounding area but with the wrong combo of backlight or sharpness or brightness it looks like a band. I have it pretty much taken care of now but I think it's in the tv, whether the lighting or the panel itself I don't know. I hope that's descriptive enough, again I'm not sure I can get it on camera but will give it a try tonight.

#623 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the world of HDTVs and just picked up a Sony KDL-HX701 40". It's absolutely gorgeous. I got it for $700 at Sams Club. My question is can I use a external harddrive (portable) like a WD Harddrive to play avi and mp4 movies from it's usb port. I can do this from an xbox 360 but was wondering if there's a way to do it straight from the tv. Thanks guys! Any new tips and tricks I need to know, please share as well. I love how this tv automatically updates and has the internet apps which I will use. I just got an Apple TV 2 so I plan to set that up as well
Thanks guys

#625 ·
Really tempted to buy this set, debating between this and a Toshiba UL605U Edge-lit LED (.08 black levels) My only gripe with this set would be it costs a little more, is much larger, but mostly, it's the glossy screen.

I have a sliding glass door in my tiny apartment (next to the couch, not the TV) and overhead lighting, and altho I'll be doing most movie watching at night with the light down, I'm worried about the daytime and having to close the blinds constantly, and having my reflection stare back at me during dark scenes. Any input on how bad this is (at BB, was in the dimly lit magnolia section so couldn't really tell about the reflectiveness)

Also, anyone have any thoughts or additions? Going for the 40HX701 from Sam's (can't beat the price or the warranty!) but I need to come to a decision soon!

#626 ·
I just shined a flashlight at my tv and while I could see it, it wasn't too bad. I like the glass screen cause it looks nicer IMHO, and should be much easier to clean. I know it was easy and risk free getting the few fingerprints off it after setting it up last night. I noticed a slight reflection on my old 701 on Sunday, there's a white wall with a large black framed pic on it directly behind me that I could very very slightly see. I don't think I'd want a lamp on behind me, but the lights in my living room are all at angles where a reflection is impossible without some serious leaning.

I backed the colour down to 38 tonight and was surprised how much more natural things look now. I could swear that I can see more detail in dark areas with this change but maybe I'm crazy.

#627 ·
Hey guys, Just picked up the 40" for a steal at Sams club. So far so good. Very good picture quality. I havent noticed any clouding, maybe very faint if I look hard enough, but last year I had 2 sony w5100 models that had bad clouding, so in comparison this model looks great. I have been trying to go back and reread this thread for the best picture settings, but havent had time to try them all out. Is there a certain setting that has a consensus to look very good ? Also, I havent hooked my ps3 up yet, will probably give that a try tonight. I mainly game on my g10 panny plasma, which is an awesome tv, but I look forward to checking out World of War on this set, to see how it plays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.