Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDoc View Post

I had to break out the magnifying glass for this. They're definitely rectangles.

Ok, thanks. It sounds like this a new type of panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I appreciate the help. I tried what you suggested and no luck.

Have you tried the 1 input at a time method? Meaning if you have like 2 or more devices connected to the tv. Remove all of them then try 1 at a time to see if the problem presists. wondering if a device connected is causing the trouble.

This will help you before you exchange the TV b/c if one of the devices is the issue then you will run into same problem with another tv.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I tried different HDMI ports and changed my cable box and it didn't fix the problem. If I'm gaming on the PS3, watching the DVR, cable, or a DVD, the problem is still present.

I definitely will exchange it since I have until the end of this month. I guess it's just bad luck that I got a lemon TV out of the batch.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable or have you tried component cables to see if that would do the trick. Look in thhdmi port and make sure you did not bend one of the pins.

One last question did you go intot he service menu and change a setting there. This is a menu that you need to enter a sequence of buttons on the remote to enter.

Everyone who is posting an issue please give the following information:

How is the unit hooked up
The Set top Box that you are using.
Software version of the TV
Screen Panel Type
Model Number
What steps you have taken already
This will enable someone to possibly help.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandras View Post

Do you have ECO Solution Activated? Tocheck go to Menu - right arrow then down arrow to the selection Eco Solution. select off for each.

Ed

the eco solution is set to off. my wife said when she first turned on the t.v. today it shifted in shade a few times then quit. when i got home i watched a movie through the ps3 and did not see ant shifting in shade/tint. also when shifting was noticed it was not the first time we had used the t.v. or ps3 together. thank you for your help and feedback!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 PM

thankyou for your reply. i will look at settings and report progress!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Have you tried a different HDMI cable or have you tried component cables to see if that would do the trick. Look in thhdmi port and make sure you did not bend one of the pins.

One last question did you go intot he service menu and change a setting there. This is a menu that you need to enter a sequence of buttons on the remote to enter.

Everyone who is posting an issue please give the following information:

How is the unit hooked up
The Set top Box that you are using.
Software version of the TV
Screen Panel Type
Model Number
What steps you have taken already
This will enable someone to possibly help.

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried two different HDMI cables and I have the same problem. The pins in the ports are fine. I went into the service menu, changed the settings, and had the TV working perfectly fine for two days before it started acting up on me. I even removed all source cables and checked. The picture was initially clear if I looked through the menus and ran the self diagnosis picture test. After the backlight warmed up, maybe about 4-5 minutes, the picture became grainy and I saw thin red vertical lines (size of a thread) on the black parts of the menu. The picture is always fine until the unit warms up then it gets progressively worse.

More info
Hook up - Coax cable to cable box -> HDMI Cable from cable box to TV in HDMI / DVI slot #1
Set top box - Motorola DCX 3400 Dual HD DVR Tuner
Software version - 2010/02/20_001003
Screen panel type - SQ01
Model # - LN46C630
Steps taken -
  • tried all HDMI slots
  • replaced cable box
  • used Comcast supplied HDMI cable and Monster HDMI cable
  • checked for bent pins in HDMI slots
  • removed all source cables and checked the unit with the picture test (as stated above)
  • removed power cable for several minutes then reconnected
  • connected only one source at a time whether it was the cable or PS3
  • removed the plug from the surge protector and plugged directly into the wall socket (briefly..just to make sure the surge protector wasn't bad or causing some interference)
Old 04-04-2010, 12:48 AM

I just purchased a brand new LN46C630 at Fry's. I noticed very faint corner backlight bleeding in the right lower corner. It is only noticeable in a totally dark room with a black screen. Anyone else have this issue? Is it worth swapping out for? I would hate to go to the trouble only to get a panel with similar or worse issues.

Thanks,
RB
Old 04-04-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfactor View Post

I just purchased a brand new LN46C630 at Fry's. I noticed very faint corner backlight bleeding in the right lower corner. It is only noticeable in a totally dark room with a black screen. Anyone else have this issue? Is it worth swapping out for? I would hate to go to the trouble only to get a panel with similar or worse issues.

It depends on what type of panel you have. If it's the old type S-PVA, then the next set will likely be no better, and might even be much worse.

In order to see what sort of panel it is, get a magnifying glass, pick out some darker colors on the screen, and focus on the pixel structure. Older S-PVA panels have red, green, and blue subpixels that look like brackets >>> when not fully lit. If you see rectangles ||| rather than brackets, then you have either an A panel or a new type of S-PVA panel. There would I think be more justification for a swap in that case, since flashlighting/clouding is - as far as I can tell - mostly associated with the older type S-PVA.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:05 AM

I picked up an LN40C630 yesterday at BB, and - with the exception of SD performance - I'm not that impressed with it. It's an A panel, which seems to be the most common type found at B&M stores.

The blacks on this TV - to put it mildly - are disappointing. Not only do they have a blueish cast, which becomes quite pronounced at off angles, but they are also very light, even with the backlight turned way down. I have a 46B500 with an A panel, and comparing pixel structures and black levels, my guess is this C630 model is just a 40" inch version of the same panel. According to Samsung, the 46B500 has a CR of 30,000:1, compared to 120,000:1 for the 40C630, but there's just no way those numbers - relatively speaking - can be true, because the blacks look more or less the same on both TVs.

Of course now I'm wondering if the S panel version of the 40C630 - which people only seem to be getting from Amazon - has deeper blacks. Oh well, I guess I should've known I couldn't win with Samsung. I bought a higher end model just to try and escape the panel lottery, and wound up being burned yet again.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried two different HDMI cables and I have the same problem. The pins in the ports are fine. I went into the service menu, changed the settings, and had the TV working perfectly fine for two days before it started acting up on me. I even removed all source cables and checked. The picture was initially clear if I looked through the menus and ran the self diagnosis picture test. After the backlight warmed up, maybe about 4-5 minutes, the picture became grainy and I saw thin red vertical lines (size of a thread) on the black parts of the menu. The picture is always fine until the unit warms up then it gets progressively worse.

More info
Hook up - Coax cable to cable box -> HDMI Cable from cable box to TV in HDMI / DVI slot #1
Set top box - Motorola DCX 3400 Dual HD DVR Tuner
Software version - 2010/02/20_001003
Screen panel type - SQ01
Model # - LN46C630
Steps taken -
  • tried all HDMI slots
  • replaced cable box
  • used Comcast supplied HDMI cable and Monster HDMI cable
  • checked for bent pins in HDMI slots
  • removed all source cables and checked the unit with the picture test (as stated above)
  • removed power cable for several minutes then reconnected
  • connected only one source at a time whether it was the cable or PS3
  • removed the plug from the surge protector and plugged directly into the wall socket (briefly..just to make sure the surge protector wasn't bad or causing some interference)

One last thing connect you cable input cable directly into the tv and do a scan for the channels on the tv QAM tuner to see if you get a clear picture on one of the national HD channels. This might help in determining if it is the input board or the tv itself.

At this point I would return the set to the place of purchase as it might be defective.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 AM

Picked up my first HDTV, LN40C630 from BB yesterday. It has an A panel, after some minor tweaking to the settings, I have to say. I love it, the PQ via BR is amazing.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Is it possible for a DVR program to mess up a TV or do I just have a bad panel? It's an SQ01 panel. I called Samsung since the TV is under warranty and they will send a tech over to diagnose the problem.

In the help section of the set's menu, there's a diagnostic feature that will generate a test still image; there are also two built in patterns under the picture settings menu.
Try the test image under the help menu.... if that's funky, there's definitely a problem with the set.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 AM

all I see are complaints about the c630. Is anyone here actually happy they bought one? Especially the 55c630... Anyone think it's a good tv? I know people are more likely to post when there's a problem, but then that makes it look like every 630 is trash..

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiner View Post

In the help section of the set's menu, there's a diagnostic feature that will generate a test still image; there are also two built in patterns under the picture settings menu.
Try the test image under the help menu.... if that's funky, there's definitely a problem with the set.

Tried it and the PQ was still poor.

Quote:

One last thing connect you cable input cable directly into the tv and do a scan for the channels on the tv QAM tuner to see if you get a clear picture on one of the national HD channels. This might help in determining if it is the input board or the tv itself.

At this point I would return the set to the place of purchase as it might be defective.

No joy. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by worther View Post

all I see are complaints about the c630. Is anyone here actually happy they bought one? Especially the 55c630... Anyone think it's a good tv? I know people are more likely to post when there's a problem, but then that makes it look like every 630 is trash..

Anyone?

Personally, I was happy at first, but when you pay so much for a TV and it breaks on the 2nd day, it's a HUGE disappointment. Perhaps Samsung pushed these 2010 models to market too quickly to try to get a jump on the competition and sacrificed quality control.

The LN46C630 replaced my old 27" Sony WEGA which worked flawlessly for 10+ years. Honestly, I'm starting to regret not buying another Sony since the whole process of diagnosing my new TV's problem has been extremely frustrating.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:02 PM

funkydoc if i were you I would do several things -

first I'd make sure it didn't accidentally get switched to some other mode like "store mode" or something like that. I read somewhere about that happening to someone else. Here's a small thread that pertains to last year's model, it may help you -

forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=307511

Then if that didn't change anything I'd restore all the settings to factory setting even if you never touched any setting in the first place.

If that didn't work I would return the tv wherever I got it for another one. If you have problems with THAT one, then i'd switch to another model or brand.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The owned it for 3 weeks verdict:

LN40C630, panel code AA01.

Software 2010/02/17_001002
Software version: T-VAL5AUSC-1002.1

Calibrated using the built-in patterns:

Standard mode:

Backlight 14
Contrast 80
Brightness 46
Sharpness 20 *
Color 51
Tint: G46/R54

Blacktone off
Dynamic Contrast off
Shadow detail 0
Gamma +1
Color Space native
Flesh tone 0
Edge enhancement off

ColorTone Warm1
Digital Noise Filter low
MPEG noise filter low
Film Mode off
Auto Motion Plus 120 hz off

Primary source is DirecTV HD DVR (HR20-100) on HDMI
Secondary is OTA, but my antenna is not situated correctly just yet.

Overall, the panel is reasonably uniform in lighting. Contrast is very good and black levels are very good when looking directly on axis at the screen. Viewing angle good horizontally, with some shift of tint and black levels going left to right. Vertically changing viewing angles, the the black levels suffer greatly. The difference in directly at eye level at 10 feet versus standing up at 10 feet produces a significant loss in black levels off-axis. The blacks glow fairly brightly with a significant blue cast when off axis vertically. Fortunately, my stand puts the screen center exactly at eye level when sitting down.

As is typical of consumer TV's, the out of box settings are designed for eye-searing pop in the store. They're really awful and the edge enhancement and sharpening are over the top and the contrast seems to be aimed at a bipolar full-black or full blast setting. The "movie" setting is sort of ok, but I found it muddy and only suited for a very dark room. Dynamic - well, it makes all live sports look just like an XBox. I know people like it, but for me, this mode seems most suitable for warming a hot-dog should the microwave oven go on the fritz. It needs a little set up work to get a truly good picture. But it is capable of rendering a good image when setup properly. It does lack the subtlety that my previous 50" Panasonic plasma offered, even though it is several generations old now and only a 720p panel.

The ATSC tuner locks in on weak signals with the usual "all or nothing" aplomb. (gotta get the outdoor antenna up soon). The local CBS HD OTA looks great on this set. It lacks any kind of antenna signal meter at all, which is a PITA.

The built in "expert patterns" and RGB setup modes are really useful for quick calibrations. "Advanced" picture setting mode is only available in 2 of the four presets (standard and movie). Dynamic and Natural modes are partially pre-fixed.

I don't know how to enter the service menu, but I wouldn't mind tweaking those modes myself.

120hz motion flow is just too weird to leave on all the time. I did watch a hockey game with it on, and it looked great. However, it is distracting for movies and other normal content. So it is off.

My thoughts on this display is to mount it so your primary viewing is at eye level. The picture degrades considerably with vertical offset angles, even fairly small ones. On axis, it looks fantastic. This is not the set to mount over the fireplace or significantly out of the eye-level viewing plane.

nuke
Old 04-04-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

Ok, thanks. It sounds like this a new type of panel.

This is the same panel that Sony is using on the ex500 and 700, it might be on the ex400, but I haven't seen the pixel structure. S-LCD has a panel that is basically similar to Sharp's x-gen panel.

Samsung must be using this, as well, with their SQ01 C series.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Save Dave View Post

Hows gaming on the 55" 630? Any lag?

Gaming has been fine for me so far - though I only have a single HDMI going from the XBox to the TV and not through an avr.

I've noticed some audio delay with my Blu-ray since I have HDMI to TV and then composite audio out to the avr... might switch that up to straight HDMI to TV instead...
Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worther View Post

Anyone?

I am very happy with my 55C630 so far. I have a slight issue with sound delay on the Blu-ray but like I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure its just because I have a composite audio out going to my avr as opposed to only using the HDMI.

All in all it's been great so far.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:05 PM

I picked up a 46c630 (SQ01) the other day and so far I am happy with it. A thought on the audio sync issue...I see no problem directly with the tv, but I do not have a receiver with hdmi connectivity. Right now my setup is my ps3 with an optical to the receiver and hdmi to the tv. When I have the receiver going I get a terrible echo effect, so the sync issue is with my receiver and not the tv. Can I assume a setup of ps3 directly to receiver and then to tv all via hdmi would correct the problem?

A side note, when I use the optical out on the tv to go to my receiver there is no sync problem at all for antenna tv broadcasts.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone confirm whether or not the C670 (best buy exclusive model) has the ultra clear panel (like the C650) or a semi-matte panel (like the C630)? I haven't seen it at my local best buy, and the website does not list the panel specifics.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

This is the same panel that Sony is using on the ex500 and 700, it might be on the ex400, but I haven't seen the pixel structure. S-LCD has a panel that is basically similar to Sharp's x-gen panel.

Samsung must be using this, as well, with their SQ01 C series.

It looks very similar to AMVA3, so it's likely there wouldn't would be much of a difference between the S and A versions in this case.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 AM

I believe the C670 is UCP. Check your local BB this week b/c they should have the LN46C70 on display. A lot of stores have them in stock just not on display.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 AM

I continue to be unimpressed with my 40C630. After spending a lot of time calibrating this unit, I set it up next to my 46B500 in order to make a direct comparison. With every source I tried - specifically, Blu-Rays, DVDs, SD and HD cable - the image on the C630 was softer and showed far more motion artifacts. The 120 Hz functions only made the artifacting worse.

I think it's absurd that a 5 series Black Friday special has better image quality than a 6 series model. The 46B500 obviously has a better graphics card than the 40C630, but I'm not sure if that's because Samsung uses different cards for larger screens or if C models have cheaper cards than older models. In any case, I think I'm done with Samsung at this point. I'm going to try a 40" model from Sony or some other brand, because it's become patently obvious I'm not going to be able to find a 40" Samsung with a halfway decent picture.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've had my 55C630 for a couple weeks now, very happy with it, but had a question. Occasionally, when there is motion, like the camera is panning across a room, there seems to be a stutter in the video, but only during scenes with that background panning or motion. During anything else, it's fine. I'm trying to determine if it's the Comcast signal as it seems to only happen with OnDemand, or it's some sort of "Feature" with the TV.

Thoughts?

TIA!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

I continue to be unimpressed with my 40C630. After spending a lot of time calibrating this unit, I set it up next to my 46B500 in order to make a direct comparison. With every source I tried - specifically, Blu-Rays, DVDs, SD and HD cable - the image on the C630 was softer and showed far more motion artifacts. The 120 Hz functions only made the artifacting worse.

I think it's absurd that a 5 series Black Friday special has better image quality than a 6 series model. The 46B500 obviously has a better graphics card than the 40C630, but I'm not sure if that's because Samsung uses different cards for larger screens or if C models have cheaper cards than older models. In any case, I think I'm done with Samsung at this point. I'm going to try a 40" model from Sony or some other brand, because it's become patently obvious I'm not going to be able to find a 40" Samsung with a halfway decent picture.

Hmm interesting. I definitely hear you here. I don't love the way the 40C630 handles motion either, but this is a guest room tv that my wife primarily watches. I'm a bit disturbed at how LCD tvs perform in general these days. I bought a 52B750 last year only to return it because i couldn't stand the input lag, motion artifacts, and poor viewing angles when compared to plasma. I can't say that the 40C630 fares much better, but I have tempered expectations since it's a relatively inexpensive tv.

I do believe that there is a disturbing trend toward over-processing images in LCDs to the point where they're performing more poorly than LCDs from years past. For example, my S3251 from 2006 had far superior input lag and motion processing than the 52B750.

Anyway, keep us posted on your experiences with other panels. I think most people are happy overall with the C630, but I don't think your concerns are unfounded at all.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

Hmm interesting. I definitely hear you here. I don't love the way the 40C630 handles motion either, but this is a guest room tv that my wife primarily watches. I'm a bit disturbed at how LCD tvs perform in general these days. I bought a 52B750 last year only to return it because i couldn't stand the input lag, motion artifacts, and poor viewing angles when compared to plasma. I can't say that the 40C630 fares much better, but I have tempered expectations since it's a relatively inexpensive tv.

I do believe that there is a disturbing trend toward over-processing images in LCDs to the point where they're performing more poorly than LCDs from years past. For example, my S3251 from 2006 had far superior input lag and motion processing than the 52B750.

Anyway, keep us posted on your experiences with other panels. I think most people are happy overall with the C630, but I don't think your concerns are unfounded at all.

Although not a c630 but the 46C650 LCDs S panels that I have seen look very nice for the price point and target market if not better. Off angle is is not bad either too.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 PM

What makes Best Buys 670 model different from the 630/650 models?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound12 View Post

What makes Best Buys 670 model different from the 630/650 models?

It is a BB exclusive model. Most likely the 650 with a different frame around the panel (looks to have a solid gray stripe across the bottom. Not very many details on it though b/c what BB has listed seems to be generic specs.

I had asked about the c650 in an earlier post and someone stated that BB goes with a BB exclusive model number so they do not have to price match.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeronetFi View Post

It is a BB exclusive model. Most likely the 650 with a different frame around the panel (looks to have a solid gray stripe across the bottom. Not very many details on it though b/c what BB has listed seems to be generic specs.

I had asked about the c650 in an earlier post and someone stated that BB goes with a BB exclusive model number so they do not have to price match.

in Europe C670 has DVB-S2 tuner, C650 and C630 don't have.