Official Samsung LNXXC630/C650 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6233 Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just go to Samsung or the store you got it from and say you didn't get a remote. Most of the time they will just send/give you a new remote. You can tell the truth if you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6233 Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansky View Post

I have been thinking about buying B650 for a month now. Mostly because of the 'input lag'. And now when I just decided to buy it there is a new C650 model. Can someone just point out all the differences between B/C series' models? I already know about DTS support and new design but what else?
In the shop the C650 model is actually cheaper then B650 and i'm wondering why is that? Is it lacking something?

And last but not least: could the "inside" change so dramatically that the TV's Input Lag will suffer? Couse I'm going to use it with my ps3.

thanks in advance!!

(sorry or bad english)

The new C650 is cheaper just cause technology does get cheaper every year. The A was expensive the B got cheaper and the C is the cheapiest. Because there all based on the same technology, it just got cheaper each year.
The C650 series isn't lacking anything from the A and B series that I have seen. It has a better contrast and better look all around while keeping the picture really good or better.
Couldn't really tell you about input lag. IMO it's another subjective topic. Some see the lag, others don't. I think alot of it is simply just adjusting settings but some see it just as a problem with the tv.
post #453 of 6233 Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 PM

I'm just catching up on this thread a bit after a couple of weeks. Regarding the 'judder' issue here's the settings I went with that completely eliminated it. I'm still very happy with my set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerr View Post

I just upgraded my setup this evening from Win7 32 bit with 2gb ram to Win7 64-bit with 6gb of ram (the cpu is a C2D E6550). I was having issues with motion jerkiness in any sort of panning shot. This upgrade in itself did not solve the issue.

eandras - thanks for posting your settings. I applied them and put on Planet Earth on BR via HDMI (5750 video card). I found that the contrast was cranked up too much and I was getting a flicker in the background of anything patterned. The good news is that it did eliminate the jerkiness I was getting. So I reset to factory and applied select settings from stock and am happy with the results:

Mode - Movie
Advance Settings: Dark
Dynamic Contract: High
Expert Pattern: Off
Color Space: Native
Edge Enhancement: on
Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Auto
Auto Motion Plus 120KHZ: Clear

Model Code LN46C630

post #454 of 6233 Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

How do the black levels compare? I'm not satisfied at all with the blacks on my AA01 panel. The default backlight setting was 14, but I couldn't make letterbox bars much darker by turning the backlight down and adjusting contrast and brightness. My 40B550 S panel produced a much deeper black level, but the image was very blurry in comparison to this A panel.

Black levels look good on the SQ02 panel. I set my backlight at 7 and letterbox bars look pretty black. If you're focusing on the black bars, you might fool yourself into thinking they're glowing a bit (they probably are). But I'd say they look just fine to me.
post #455 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 02:27 AM

Without local dimming black bars will allways glow a little when you focus on them. But it depends on your own sensivity too
post #456 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:

I'm just catching up on this thread a bit after a couple of weeks. Regarding the 'judder' issue here's the settings I went with that completely eliminated it. I'm still very happy with my set.

The setting in that list that is eliminating the judder is the Auto Motion Plus "Clear" setting.

On a side note, I have the dynamic contrast turned off for most programs. Doesn't the "high" setting make the picture look a little too contrasted? I have it turned off or on low depending on the program. The new "life" series looks good with the "low" setting to make the colors stand out just a little more. But on most programs I like a more natural look so I turn it off. Of course if you turn it off you'll probably want to go into some of the color and brightness settings and tweak them to your liking.
post #457 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:

So what did you set the contrast on your set. Or did you just adjust the Dynamic Contrast.
post #458 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worther View Post

On a side note, I have the dynamic contrast turned off for most programs. Doesn't the "high" setting make the picture look a little too contrasted? I have it turned off or on low depending on the program.

I wouldn't recommend using it at all, since it varies the backlight current, which will eventually damage the inverter board and/or cause the fluorescent bulbs to burn out.

Another thread here discusses the uselessness of 3D technology, but dynamic contrast and 120/240 Hz modes are also fairly useless. The former damages the backlight components, while the latter does nothing but turn high quality film into poor quality videotape. My question is: why do the manufacturers keep adding these sorts of *features* when most people don't even use them?
post #459 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 AM

hmm thanks for the tip on the backlighting issue..

I do use the custom setting on the AMP. I have blur at 9 and judder at 3. Without any judder reduction, movement just looks a little too choppy for my taste. But any higher than that and I start to feel seasick..
post #460 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Hi, I just got my Samsung a few days ago and wanted to know why the resolution shows 1960 x 1080 @ 60 Hz when I use my PS3. I thought the TV was 120 Hz or do I have things mixed up? Thanks!
post #461 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

come on lets get some pics of your setups in here
post #462 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by new40sam View Post

Hi, I just got my Samsung a few days ago and wanted to know why the resolution shows 1960 x 1080 @ 60 Hz when I use my PS3. I thought the TV was 120 Hz or do I have things mixed up? Thanks!

60hz refers to the refresh rate of the source, not the TV. The TV always refreshes at 120hz, so it'll double each frame on a 60hz source. And 4x each frame on a 24p source. Etc etc.
post #463 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 02:05 PM

When I did a search for channels, it picked up cable channels too (i.e. ESPN, ESPN2, USA, ABC Family, MTV, etc) Now I don't have cable service, just the local channels. Is it normal to pick up those cable channels? I just assumed they weren't scrambled channels and that's why the tv was able to pick them up.
post #464 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Speaking of blacks, anybody with a C630 have an opinion on the black shadow detail? Is it bad, average, good? ... Last year, I bought an LN40B610, and returned it. Its shadow detail couldn't compare with my LN40B540 - a model which is a step down from the B610. (Go figure.) This year, I'm thinking about buying a C630 (which is this year's rough equivalent of the B610), but I'd like to know if the shadow detail is improved. BTW, the B610 I returned was an SQ01 panel. The B540 (with better viewing angles and image crispness, not just better shadow detail) was an SQ02.
post #465 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 07:30 PM

Does anyone know what if anything, is different between the LN46C630 and the LN46C630K1F?
post #466 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

They are the same basically. There is no such thing as just ln46c630. Some websites and stores just don't show/display the full model name as it's really meaningless. All Samsung models have some sort of extra digits(letters and numbers) after the CXXX part. Example, my LN40B650 is the same as LN40B650T1FXZA. From what I have heard is that the letter at the end(A in my model) represents the country the tv is meant for. I have no idea if that's 100% true, just what I have heard. Either way serves no real purpose for consumers unless your like buying from a auction site/online dealer.
post #467 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlotus View Post

Speaking of blacks, anybody with a C630 have an opinion on the black shadow detail? Is it bad, average, good? ... Last year, I bought an LN40B610, and returned it. Its shadow detail couldn't compare with my LN40B540 - a model which is a step down from the B610. (Go figure.) This year, I'm thinking about buying a C630 (which is this year's rough equivalent of the B610), but I'd like to know if the shadow detail is improved. BTW, the B610 I returned was an SQ01 panel. The B540 (with better viewing angles and image crispness, not just better shadow detail) was an SQ02.

There is a new C610 and the C630. The C610 is only found in stores like BB and Walmart/Sams Club. You might find it from some online retailers also. How ive seen it over the last few years is if a store carries say the C630 they likely won't carry the 610 model. Stores that carry the C610 usually also carry the C640, which both are famously carried by BB. BB also usually doesn't carry the C630 if it carries the C640. These are the cases in my area. Could be different in other areas.
From my understanding is that the C610 is just a slighter cheaper/lower quality than the C630 which is likely why they aren't usually found in the same store. I've never really liked any of the models like the 540 and 640. I don't even understand why they even exist. If trying to save money, just get the 610 or 630 otherwise get the 650. I often have wondered if they are just low quality parts in general not just the panel within the 6 series lcd.
post #468 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 PM

The lower right corner on my new LN46C630 is a little brighter than the other corners. It is only noticeable with a black screen in a dark room (such as during move credits}. It is an SQ01 panel.

Anyone else notice this problem???

Any way to fix it??

Is it worth trying to swap out? I'm afraid I might get one with more issues...

Thanks,
RB
post #469 of 6233 Old 04-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Try turning down the backlight to 6 or lower. If it bothers you alot then simply return your set. If it happens again, go after a different model. Wherever you bought the tv from could have got a bad batch of C630s, it can happen.
Some people have said that your tv needs to have time to break in. Around 100 hours. Usually a couple of weeks depending on how much you use your tv. I use to see light bleeding from the edges of my 40B650 when I first got it. Always had to have my backlight below 6. Now I don't. Either i got use to it or the tv simply broke in.
post #470 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 05:29 AM

Hey guys, i just bought my LN40C630 yesterday from Best Buy. Actually i took back the Sony 40EX500 because the picture was very dark and i was very dissapointed in it so i exchanged it for the Samsung. Wow, its like a night and day difference in the PQ. The Samsung's PQ is SO much better, its really amazing! I am having a couple of problems though when playing on my PS3, so if anyone can help me with fixing them, I would appreciate it. First off, I only play sports games and right now i'm playing MLB '10: The Show. First thing i've noticed is when the baseball is hit or when players are moving there is a really bad blurred effect on them. Its really bad. When players are walking or standing its fine. Its very annoying though. Second thing is there is a really bad delay when hitting and pitching. When i push the button to swing the bat to hit, its really delayed and when i push the button when pitching to throw a pitch, its really delayed. Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix these two problems?

I have used all of the 120hz options, clear, smooth, standard, and Off but none of those fixed the problems.

*Update* I put it on game mode and it fixed the delay/lag in hitting and pitching and it also fixed the blurred effect on the baseball, but the players still have a blurred effect when they are moving fast. So everything was fixed except the players blurred effect, which i can live with but if anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know. Also, what would be the difference with having game mode on anyway to fix most of the problems? I really dont want to have to turn game mode on and off everytime from watching tv and playing the PS3.
post #471 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan2502 View Post

Hey guys, i just bought my LN40C630 yesterday from Best Buy. Actually i took back the Sony 40EX500 because the picture was very dark and i was very dissapointed in it so i exchanged it for the Samsung. Wow, its like a night and day difference in the PQ. The Samsung's PQ is SO much better, its really amazing! I am having a couple of problems though when playing on my PS3, so if anyone can help me with fixing them, I would appreciate it. First off, I only play sports games and right now i'm playing MLB '10: The Show. First thing i've noticed is when the baseball is hit or when players are moving there is a really bad blurred effect on them. Its really bad. When players are walking or standing its fine. Its very annoying though. Second thing is there is a really bad delay when hitting and pitching. When i push the button to swing the bat to hit, its really delayed and when i push the button when pitching to throw a pitch, its really delayed. Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix these two problems?

I have used all of the 120hz options, clear, smooth, standard, and Off but none of those fixed the problems.

*Update* I put it on game mode and it fixed the delay/lag in hitting and pitching and it also fixed the blurred effect on the baseball, but the players still have a blurred effect when they are moving fast. So everything was fixed except the players blurred effect, which i can live with but if anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know. Also, what would be the difference with having game mode on anyway to fix most of the problems? I really dont want to have to turn game mode on and off everytime from watching tv and playing the PS3.

Have you tried the custom setting for Auto Motion? Try changing the blur to like 10 and then the judder to like 0-3? Maybe that might help. I haven't noticed any lag when I am playing Ghost Recon.
post #472 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new40sam View Post

Have you tried the custom setting for Auto Motion? Try changing the blur to like 10 and then the judder to like 0-3? Maybe that might help. I haven't noticed any lag when I am playing Ghost Recon.

Well in game mode you cant adjust those. Game mode seemed to fix all of the problems except the players being blurred when running. I'll have to turn off game mode and try that. Hopefully that works.
post #473 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

Try turning down the backlight to 6 or lower. If it bothers you alot then simply return your set. If it happens again, go after a different model. Wherever you bought the tv from could have got a bad batch of C630s, it can happen.
Some people have said that your tv needs to have time to break in. Around 100 hours. Usually a couple of weeks depending on how much you use your tv. I use to see light bleeding from the edges of my 40B650 when I first got it. Always had to have my backlight below 6. Now I don't. Either i got use to it or the tv simply broke in.

I think it has something to do with the casing, because if I press on the back of the casing near the screws, it changes the amount of light leaking through. I tried tightening the screws a bit, but the light leakage is still there.

I'm curious whether anyone else has really scrutinized their screen with a black screen in a dark room to see if they have this issue as well. Maybe I'm lucky to only have one corner involved???
post #474 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Speaking of blacks, anybody with a C630 have an opinion on the black shadow detail? Is it bad, average, good? ... Last year, I bought an LN40B610, and returned it. Its shadow detail couldn't compare with my LN40B540 - a model which is a step down from the B610. (Go figure.)

From what I've seen, the PQ of Samsung LCDs doesn't always correlate with price. In fact, it would appear the extra cost of higher end models is due mostly to the glossy screen and 120/240 Hz processing, and indicates nothing about the basic quality of the panel. It's therefore possible by paying more, you could easily wind up with a TV that has a lower contrast ratio, worse SD performance, etc. For example, according to the Samsung service manual, the B750 series had a 4000:1 native contrast ratio, while the B650 series had an 8000:1 CR.

As far as the 40C630 goes, I'm not that impressed with it either, at least not the A panel I have. The black level isn't that great and the backlight isn't nearly as powerful as the one used for the 40B550. Of the Samsung LCDs I've owned - 40B550 S and C panels, 46B500 A panel, and 40C630 A panel - the best one is probably the 46B500, which is the lowest end model. This leads me to believe that Samsung uses better panels and processing chips for larger models. It's quite possible then you would get a better TV by purchasing a low end large screen rather than a high end small screen.
post #475 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 AM

OK, i turned Game Mode off and put the auto motion 120hz to custom. Then turned blur to 0 and left judder at 5. Well that fixed the blurriness completely but i still have the delay/lag when pushing the button on the controller when pitching and hitting.
So Game mode on fixes the delay/lag, but not the blurriness and Game mode off with blur at 0 fixes the blurriness, but not the delay/lag, lol. So what fixes both? Anyone???
post #476 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

As far as the 40C630 goes, I'm not that impressed with it either, at least not the A panel I have. The black level isn't that great and the backlight isn't nearly as powerful as the one used for the 40B550. Of the Samsung LCDs I've owned - 40B550 S and C panels, 46B500 A panel, and 40C630 A panel - the best one is probably the 46B500, which is the lowest end model. This leads me to believe that Samsung uses better panels and processing chips for larger models. It's quite possible then you would get a better TV by purchasing a low end large screen rather than a high end small screen.

Mike (or anybody else), have you an opinion on the black shadow detail on your 40C630? On my 40B610 (which I returned), I had to set the gamma at +3 to compensate for the lack of shadow detail.
post #477 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 AM

I am very interested in buying a Samsung LN40C630. Samsung TVs have a good reputation for producing high quality pictures and the new "C" series sets have many picture adjustments which were formerly available only in the service mode.

I am particularly interested in reviews, such as the following ones from Consumer Reports, which contain important information that is actually derived from controlled laboratory test methods. Here is an excerpt from the rating of a Samsung LCD TV:

"Excellent, smooth reproduction of scenes with subtly shaded light-to-dark areas, such as a sky during sunset. Excellent film-mode operation (3:2 pulldown) effectively eliminated jagged edges -- "jaggies" -- on our 1080i high-definition and 480i standard-definition movie content. Our 1080i high-definition video clip with motion detail (de-interlacing test) looked very good with just a hint of visible jaggies; our 480i standard-definition video clip was free of any visible jaggies."

A Sony LCD TV didn't so well under the same testing methods:

"Film-mode operation (3:2 pulldown) failed -- we saw jagged edges ("jaggies") on our 1080i high-definition movie content. Our 1080i high-definition video clips of both still and motion sequences (de-interlacing test) were flawed by very visible jaggies."

Is there anyone on this forum who has the ability to test TVs for 3:2 pulldown and de-interlacing performance? I would really like to hear of these test results on Samsung's new "C" series TVs. User reviews are of great interest to me as well, but I would also like to see the results of 3:2 pulldown and de-interlacing testing.

My main hesitation regarding Samsung TVs is that Samsung is well known for having serious problems associated with their use of underrated power supply capacitors which fail after only one or two years. I strongly suspect that Samsung is now using lower-quality components in its new, lower-priced TVs and that Samsung's failure rate may become worse than ever. I hope that I am wrong about this.

If Samson's new "C" series LCD TVs produce better pictures than those of their competitors, I will factor in the added cost of a 4-year extended warranty as a necessary expense required for obtaining a superior picture. The aggravation of dealing with downtime during repairs will be offset by not having to pay for them.
post #478 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Hi guys, I bought to my mom a European version LE40C652 and its superb TV for SD viewing...and of course HD...but there is some issues as well: a little vertical banding,slight color banding and some clouding...but they are visible when you are looking them so I was lucky to have a good SQ01 panel,blacks are blacks not bluish...
Four salesmen didn`t know anything about different panels Samsung using ....typical Estonian salesmen...
I have a question for updating the TV what the update gives me,on the Samsung website there is no description about update only the file and that`s it.
Should I update my TV or not...some says don`t do it,some says do it,what do you think?

greetings
fuzzz
post #479 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Mike (or anybody else), have you an opinion on the black shadow detail on your 40C630? On my 40B610 (which I returned), I had to set the gamma at +3 to compensate for the lack of shadow detail.

What are your basic settings?

I was able to approximate the PQ I was getting with a 40B550 S panel with the following settings, but shadow detail was definitely crushed in comparison:

backlight 10
brightness 45
contrast 79

This indicates to me that the contrast ratio of this model isn't as good as that of the 40B550 S panel. On the other hand, the B550 had a somewhat blurry picture with HD sources.
post #480 of 6233 Old 04-11-2010, 02:49 PM

there are a lot of different controls that affect shadow detail besides the backlight and brightness. I found that turning up the Gamma setting made a big difference, what mode - standard vs movie or whatever, the dynamic contrast setting (mine is off), the red and green settings and on and on.. You have to play around a bit to find the best picture. After a few days I'm still tweaking things all the time. At some point I'll finally get the right settings but there are so many settings to play with it takes time to figure it all out.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page