Official Samsung LNXXC630/C650 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for the people with flashlighting in the bottom corners, what panel do you have? mine is SQ01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worther View Post

Before I think about returning my tv for a slight flashlighting in one corner, does anyone see any problems in uniformity in a completely dark room with a dark scene or blank screen on the tv? I've gone through several threads and a lot of people seem to think that all tvs have some flashlighting/clouding and that no set is perfect.

My 650 exhibits some slight uniformity issues when looking at video black (from a test generator, DVD logo screen, etc.) in a dark room. You can really chase your tail on that, though.... There are some minor clouds, but the level differences are so small that other factors outweigh the variations. So, sitting dead on looking at a minor variation, it disappears with slight changes in viewing angle, etc. And some of the uniformity differences are only apparent at very specific black levels. I really have to make an effort to see them and they're practically non-existent with program material.
post #543 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

Here's something strange. Does the stand of the c630 have a red "touch of color" going though it? The C630's are supposed to be grey, but the online pictures show the stand as having a distinct red bar going through it...see below....

I think it's not there. Can anyone who owns one of these chime in to verify that the stand is in fact all black and not red?

I have the C630... There is no "Touch of Color"
post #544 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 10:05 AM

I have had the C630 for about a week. I think it's a great TV. I made the switch from several years of Samsung Plasma's and this is my first LCD. The blacks look great which was my main concern switching from a plasma. I so far have had no use for the "AutoMotion" settings and keep it turned off. I am very picky and tend to go crazy if there is anything bothersome about a TV and so far I have found nothing to complain about. It's a good buy!
post #545 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:

ALSO - does anyone have any stuttering with 24hz output with their blu-ray or ps3? When i turn on 24hz output on my ps3 slim the picture stutters every 10 seconds or in panning scenes. If i turn off 24hz, there's no stuttering. What the?

I own the LN55C630 and I also notice this annoying stuttering!! My blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S360. I am thinking about taking this unit back, it really bugs me....
post #546 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:

for the people with flashlighting in the bottom corners, what panel do you have? mine is SQ01

Yup, mine is a LN46C650 SQ01 panel.
The flashlighting is minor. I may or may not return it.
post #547 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chido_one View Post

I own the LN55C630 and I also notice this annoying stuttering!! My blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S360. I am thinking about taking this unit back, it really bugs me....

I think I have resolved the 24hz output stuttering issue:

I think from what I have been reading is that 24hz output combined with Auto Motion Plus defeats the point of 24fps, so you're really supposed to have AMP turned off when watching 24fps. And sure enough when I turn off AMP with 24hz output the stuttering is gone completely. When I turn off 24hz output, the stuttering is gone completely with or without AMP on. 24hz has to do with frames per second from what I read, so using AMP to insert extra frames for smoothness destroys the point of 24fps. Hence, the technical problems that result from a combination that isn't supposed to be used in the first place.

And yes with AMP turned off you experience a picture that is not as smooth, but that is how film naturally looks, I just haven't noticed it before. I turned on a movie on my old tube tv and saw that there is not a smoothness to moving objects. So that's how 24hz output is supposed to look. So turning off AMP will give you the picture the way it's supposed to look. If you want the extra smoothness then just turn off 24hz and use AMP. You don't lose image quality turning off 24hz, not from what I've read or from what I could tell, it only has to do with frames per second and juddering, not image resolution.

I am not a technical expert but from what I could gather this seems to be the way it's supposed to be? Maybe someone who is an expert is here and can confirm this..
post #548 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 AM

I have the LN40C630 AA01 - very minor flashlighting in lower right corner. Not enough to even bother me.

I am running into one issue though, again minor. When viewing a blu-ray "Planet Earth" and it pans sideways It seems to stutter a little. BR player is LG BD570, connected via HDMI. set on 24hz output. I have AMP set to Clear. Tried with off and it still has a slight stutter. Like I said not a real big issue just wondering if something I could change that might eliminate it all together
post #549 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconfat View Post

hmm, is there anyone here with an SQ02 or different, that has this problem. OR BETTER YET is there anyone here who has watched their tv in the dark and hasn't notice any flashlighting or uniformity issues at all in very dark scenes? I think there are probably people here who have the same problem but don't realize it yet. I'm really just wondering if there is such thing as a perfect panel. So far I haven't heard anyone chime in to say they have absolutely no flashlighting or clouding in a totally dark room with the screen totally black.

EDIT: neronetfi has an AA01 with same thing. So it's not exclusive to sq01. I'm still waiting for someone to say they have a perfect panel in a dark room with black screen...
post #550 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeronetFi View Post

I have the LN40C630 AA01 - very minor flashlighting in lower right corner. Not enough to even bother me.

I am running into one issue though, again minor. When viewing a blu-ray "Planet Earth" and it pans sideways It seems to stutter a little. BR player is LG BD570, connected via HDMI. set on 24hz output. I have AMP set to Clear. Tried with off and it still has a slight stutter. Like I said not a real big issue just wondering if something I could change that might eliminate it all together

I don't get any stutter when I turn off AMP. One thing I did do that may or may not make a difference with your set is (before doing this you may want to write down your picture settings if you like them how they are) I turned the tv on and held down the exit button for about 10 seconds until I got a message to return the tv back to factory reset. It's worth a try and it's what samsung support told me to do. All I know is that from what I remember i think i also had stuttering with 24hz no matter what i did but after i did the reset I can turn off amp with no stutter during 24hz.

By the way the first thing it asks you after reset is if you want it in "home" or "store" mode. I'm guessing all tvs are in store mode when you get them. Perhaps the 'home' mode will make a difference for you. Give it a shot it can't hurt.
post #551 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Is there anyone with a ln46c630 that has a AA panel?? it seems to me like 46" only are in SQ panels?

And ln40c630 has majority AA panels out there.
post #552 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

40C630 and 40C650 are A panels. Could they change, it's possible but you'd have to check the box before buying.
I can check on the 46" C630 and C650 tomorrow but I believe they are S panels.
post #553 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

40C630 and 40C650 are A panels. Could they change, it's possible but you'd have to check the box before buying.
I can check on the 46" C630 and C650 tomorrow but I believe they are S panels.

The 40" models are a mix of A and S panels. I exchanged an AA01 for an SQ02 (LN40C630), and ended up much happier with the set. If you do buy your set in a store, make sure you check the box for the panel type. I think it's labeled as the Version code, i.e. Version SQ02.

Historically Samsung has favored the larger panels (46" and larger) with more S panels, with a mix of panels for smaller screens.

The panel lottery is annoying. I think it's dishonest to sell products with such variability. But at least we know how to get around it.
post #554 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

The 40's maybe be a mix of A and S panels but where im at(Tx) and the store im in, so far ive only seen them as A panels.

I know how to check for a panel/version numbers. I learned alot from the forums.
post #555 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM

ok i called about 20different best buys and the one next to my work has the last one New in box, i put it on hold.

So on my lunch i go and buy it and pick it up, this is the last 1 in a 60mile radius.

All i read about is AA and SQ panels. When i looked at the barcode area i see a AC04 wth is this.
Should i return it?
Should i try it out for atleast 25days then return it if problem exist?
Is the AC04 the worst panel for samsungs?

I dont know what to do, its not even opened yet.

post #556 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 02:59 PM

Ok I just found this answer from Mr Samsung on best buy's website that confirms what I posted about 24hz stutter and why your tv is not defective -

"All of the Samsung 1080p TVs will accept and display a 24Hz signal. However, on the panels that constantly upconvert the image to 120Hz/240Hz, as long as you have the Auto Motion Plus feature off for that source, you should be getting the true 24Hz signal on the screen. Although these panels will always be displaying the signal at 120Hz/240Hz, as long as the Auto Motion Plus feature is turned off, the panel will not be interpolating additional scenes (adding an additional interpolated frame between two original frames), and the 24Hz signal will look like its 24Hz and will not look "Hyper Real"."

So turn off AMP when outputting 24hz from your blu ray player and it will play the way it is intended. If you want AMP feature on, don't use 24hz as this will cause stutter. The two aren't supposed to be used together.
post #557 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneymng View Post

ok i called about 20different best buys and the one next to my work has the last one New in box, i put it on hold.

So on my lunch i go and buy it and pick it up, this is the last 1 in a 60mile radius.

All i read about is AA and SQ panels. When i looked at the barcode area i see a AC04 wth is this.
Should i return it?
Should i try it out for atleast 25days then return it if problem exist?
Is the AC04 the worst panel for samsungs?

I dont know what to do, its not even opened yet.

As long as the first letter is A or an S is what really matters. I don't think people yet know if there is a difference between a AA,AC or the SS,SQ panels. C panels are suppose to be the worst.

*There are also different version of the A panels. A-mva1 and A-mva3 are the 10 bit panels, considered to be the best.
post #558 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Worther - thanx for the reply. I know my TV is already set to home mode. What I did was rewatched scenes on Planet Earth I knew showed minor stuttering with AMP off, watched again with it on Clear, then off again. You are correct with it off it does look look better and no noticable stutter.

My mind was probably playing tricks on me when I turned it off before, that or I just thought I turned it off :P

Have to say other movies I have already watched with AMP on clear. They do look much better now with it off.

Thanx again
post #559 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM

no problem, it was driving me crazy too, thinking i had a bad tv set. Now if I could only get an answer from anybody here who has watched their tv in a dark room, with the screen black (like during credit scrolls) and have a perfect panel with no flashlighting or clouding. I'm wondering whether such a panel exists
post #560 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Liked: 12
i was having a stuttering problem with 24hz mode and my Sony s370 bluray player. i fixed it by changing the Cinema Conversion Mode and 1080p/24p settings to 'auto' in the s370
post #561 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Is the bulb underneath the screen really redcolored? I just checked the C650 out today in the stores, but i remember not a red touch. More like a carbon touch? Can somebody confirm this? (Pictures will be great )

post #562 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconfat View Post

How bad is yours? Is it worse then the pic I posted last page?
I have an SQ01 model also.
post #563 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 PM

Hey Guys I'm new to the forum,
I just got a 46C650 for my bedroom.
Has anyone found a way to keep pandora logged in between powercycles? It wants me to login with my 4 digit key code (prompted by the red action button on the remote) every time I turn the tv back on and start Pandora. Is there an auto login feature??
Thanks for any help.
-Deepak
post #564 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodian50 View Post

Is the bulb underneath the screen really redcolored? I just checked the C650 out today in the stores, but i remember not a red touch. More like a carbon touch? Can somebody confirm this? (Pictures will be great )

I don't have any pictures of my 46c650, that center color is not Red, it is more of a carbon/platinum color. I like it better than the red 46b650 I had by wide margins.

BTW, that is not a bulb in the middle there. It does not light up.

Samsung UN60F6300 - a lemon
Samsung LN46C650
Samsung LN40D630
Toshiba 65HM167
post #565 of 6233 Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Does anyone know what kind of QAM tuner card is in this TV?
post #566 of 6233 Old 04-17-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:

no problem, it was driving me crazy too, thinking i had a bad tv set. Now if I could only get an answer from anybody here who has watched their tv in a dark room, with the screen black (like during credit scrolls) and have a perfect panel with no flashlighting or clouding. I'm wondering whether such a panel exists

four hours of tuning got it looking good.

No clouding/no flashing/good blacks/ I'm very happy
dark knight is great with blu-Ray

AC04 panel here. haven't seen anyone on here talk about this one?
How do u all share to computer, says no device?
I have xp 32bit. Divx files. Wired to router.
post #567 of 6233 Old 04-17-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:

hmm, is there anyone here with an SQ02 or different, that has this problem. OR BETTER YET is there anyone here who has watched their tv in the dark and hasn't notice any flashlighting or uniformity issues at all in very dark scenes? I think there are probably people here who have the same problem but don't realize it yet. I'm really just wondering if there is such thing as a perfect panel. So far I haven't heard anyone chime in to say they have absolutely no flashlighting or clouding in a totally dark room with the screen totally black.

EDIT: neronetfi has an AA01 with same thing. So it's not exclusive to sq01. I'm still waiting for someone to say they have a perfect panel in a dark room with black screen...

I have no problems in a dark room or light room. Very happy with mines.
post #568 of 6233 Old 04-17-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneymng View Post

I have no problems in a dark room or light room. Very happy with mines.

And how about small flashlights?
post #569 of 6233 Old 04-17-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmuzi View Post

And how about small flashlights?

If I'm dead center everything is great. If I go to the left/right sides washes out. I don't think it's flashlights but I think its just washing out from the side views.

Btw the hdmi/dvi --> pc mode is very foggy like, very little lag buy not that good of A picture. Game mode is playable, don't mind the poppy colors, I could live with it playing ps3.
post #570 of 6233 Old 04-17-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravej View Post

My LN55C650 was delivered today.

It was a big upgrade for me:

LOL! Thanks for posting this. I have to laugh because this is what I feel I'm about to go through. Been living with a Toshiba 32" for the past 10 years and finally getting my first HDTV. I purchased the LN46C630 from Amazon yesterday after MUCH deliberation and research. I feel like a heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders, especially after reading through all 19 pages on this thread! Thanks to everyone for posting their opinions and issues - keep them coming! I'll be posting pics of my old/new setup as well along with my initial impressions of the C630.

I'm also going to put in an order for my first bluray player. Currently considering the Samsung BD-C5500. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? Currently reading the C5500 thread.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page