Official Samsung LNXXC630/C650 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

Today I exchanged my 40C630 AA01, and BB gave me an SQ02 since that's all they had in stock. This S panel is NOT the new Sharp ASV type used in some 2010 Samsung and Sony models. Based on the pixel structure, it's the same type of S-PVA panel used in the 40B650, Toshiba 40XV645U, and some Sony XBR models. (The RGB subpixels look like wedge shapes >>> when partially lit or rectangles ||| when fully lit.)

After a little calibration, here's how it compares to the A panel I had:

- no clouding anywhere (whew!)
- color temperature is much better out of the box
- black level might be slightly better, as letterbox bars are darker
- shadow detail is definitely better
- the drop-off in contrast ratio with viewing angle is about the same, but there isn't as much of a shift to blue
- the image looks somewhat grainy and blurry compared to the A panel, especially with HD sources

My conclusion:

Despite the advantages of the S panel, I think the A panel is the better TV, due to its sharper image. The difference is likely due to the shape of the subpixels. The A panel has subpixels that are rectangular even when partially lit, while the S panel has subpixels that are wedge-shaped >>> most of the time. In effect, the A panel has a finer matrix and so it probably has better anti-aliasing and the like.

Jarofwei indicated he (or she) was happier with an S panel than an A panel. I, however, am not happy at all, but I don't know whether I can justify another exchange, since there's really nothing wrong with this TV as far as I can tell.

Tell them its screen uniformity is terrible and get something else.
Tony6225 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Newbie
 
ailon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz64 View Post

I don't have normal fast-forward and rewind, but if I hold down the button it jumps ahead with increasing speed. I don't need to wait in-between at all like you describe.

Could be related to the fact that I'm doing this over the wireless connection. It shows "Preparing to play" after each step and doesn't react to subsequent ff presses until playing resumes.

But chaptering and resuming from last position works with PC Share Manager, so basically I think I can live without normal fast-forward/rewind.
ailon is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeenatron View Post

From what I've heard, the LN55C630 is very similar to the LN52B750 (I originally went in looking for one of these but they were already gone and had been replaced with the C line). I went home and researched the hell out of the 55C630 and found that it seems very similar to the B750 save for the 240hz but comes with updated menu settings, better performing Auto Motion Plus feature and released at a lower price than the B line did. Basically sounds like if you enjoy your 52B750 you're going to get much of the same in the 55C630.

By the way, I busted out some Rock Band 2 on my PS3 (granted its not an accurate judge of input lag) and it said my video lag was 53 after in-game calibration, in game mode. I went and played some modern warfare 2 and it seemed to play just as it did on my old TV. I'm sure the input lag is higher on this 55C630 (based on b-rad4's tests) than a lot of the competitors, but I can't tell.

Thank you, kindly. That is what I needed to know. I wasn't thrilled with the B750 when I first got it because of input lag, but after about a week with the TV and adjusting, I don't even notice it anymore. Looks like I may give a 55C630 a whirl.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Bimwad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailon View Post

A photo of LE40C653 for those interested how it looks:



I've posted a review in my blog here.

The C653 in your market has the same bezel as the C670 in the U.S. market. I found it interesting that the prominent gray stripe is not embedded in the bezel like the other ToC accents, but on the surface.

Our C650 models are the only ones in the C600-series (610/630/650/670) to have a chin.
Bimwad is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Newbie
 
ailon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimwad View Post

The C653 in your market has the same bezel as the C670 in the U.S. market.

We have 670 here too. I just didn't find a reason to pay extra for it.
ailon is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jarsofwei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

Today I exchanged my 40C630 AA01, and BB gave me an SQ02 since that's all they had in stock. This S panel is NOT the new Sharp ASV type used in some 2010 Samsung and Sony models. Based on the pixel structure, it's the same type of S-PVA panel used in the 40B650, Toshiba 40XV645U, and some Sony XBR models. (The RGB subpixels look like wedge shapes >>> when partially lit or rectangles ||| when fully lit.)

After a little calibration, here's how it compares to the A panel I had:

- no clouding anywhere (whew!)
- color temperature is much better out of the box
- black level might be slightly better, as letterbox bars are darker
- shadow detail is definitely better
- the drop-off in contrast ratio with viewing angle is about the same, but there isn't as much of a shift to blue
- the image looks somewhat grainy and blurry compared to the A panel, especially with HD sources

My conclusion:

Despite the advantages of the S panel, I think the A panel is the better TV, due to its sharper image. The difference is likely due to the shape of the subpixels. The A panel has subpixels that are rectangular even when partially lit, while the S panel has subpixels that are wedge-shaped >>> most of the time. In effect, the A panel has a finer matrix and so it probably has better anti-aliasing and the like.

Jarofwei indicated he (or she) was happier with an S panel than an A panel. I, however, am not happy at all, but I don't know whether I can justify another exchange, since there's really nothing wrong with this TV as far as I can tell.

That's interesting. I haven't noticed any difference in sharpness, but honestly I haven't spent that much time with the tv. But in my sparse viewing so far I haven't noticed much of an issue with sharpness. Is this happening for broadcasts or blu-rays or both?
jarsofwei is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Newbie
 
dr-dirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I'm a noob to this site but this forum has a ton of info on these new models. I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to get a 46c6xx. the only question remains, do i get the 630, or the 650 with a free BR player ($161 value). My intent was to buy a ps3 and use it as my media center. Just for the sole reason of not having a ton of boxes (xbox360, cd, dvd, reciever, xbox, etc.) under my tv Idea's? Suggestions?
dr-dirt is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Newbie
 
ailon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-dirt View Post

OK, I'm a noob to this site but this forum has a ton of info on these new models. I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to get a 46c6xx. the only question remains, do i get the 630, or the 650 with a free BR player ($161 value). My intent was to buy a ps3 and use it as my media center. Just for the sole reason of not having a ton of boxes (xbox360, cd, dvd, reciever, xbox, etc.) under my tv Idea's? Suggestions?

If you don't play games you don't need PS3 as media center if you have 650. If you do play games and don't have any specific requirements regarding screen panel then I guess you should get 630 + PS3.
ailon is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Member
 
mezz64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailon View Post

Could be related to the fact that I'm doing this over the wireless connection. It shows "Preparing to play" after each step and doesn't react to subsequent ff presses until playing resumes.

But chaptering and resuming from last position works with PC Share Manager, so basically I think I can live without normal fast-forward/rewind.

Yup, probably the wireless. I'm hardwired and have no such issues.
mezz64 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Member
 
KidInTheHall28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I've got my mind set on the 46C650, I'm worried about the input lag ests that are done, is most of that lag from using it as a PC monitor or just playing consoles? I'll be playing PS3, Xbox 360 etc on it. I've only gamed on a LCD for about 2 months a few years ago when I was renting a 37" Toshiba Regza, I really enjoyed it and never noticed lag of any kind, will I most likely have th same experience or should I consider another TV?

This will be my first HDTV and I'm really excited, I just want to pick the right one for my needs. I probably will use it as a PC Monitor but not in a online gaming type of way. Thanks for any help.


Tim
KidInTheHall28 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tony6225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidInTheHall28 View Post

Hey guys,

I've got my mind set on the 46C650, I'm worried about the input lag ests that are done, is most of that lag from using it as a PC monitor or just playing consoles? I'll be playing PS3, Xbox 360 etc on it. I've only gamed on a LCD for about 2 months a few years ago when I was renting a 37" Toshiba Regza, I really enjoyed it and never noticed lag of any kind, will I most likely have th same experience or should I consider another TV?

This will be my first HDTV and I'm really excited, I just want to pick the right one for my needs. I probably will use it as a PC Monitor but not in a online gaming type of way. Thanks for any help.


Tim

If input lag for gaming is a big concern, forget about Samsung.
Tony6225 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Newbie
 
Joshie N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys i just purchased the LN46c630 last friday and it's been a nightmare, I've bought for the soul purpose of using it with my PS3. At first there was an audio lag with it which i managed to fix with Optical cable. Then came the video, When ever i am watching a video be it DVD, Blu-Ray or even Cable there is this boxing/pixel effect that appears around ANYTHING fast moving. For Example i'm playing the game " Just Cause 2 " for ps3 and when ever the main character is running the ground sorta has a watering effect like he's running on water. In the game Battlefeild Bad Company 2 if there are any Explosions or rapid gun fire the screen goes nuts with blur. The easiest way i can describe it is it looks like video you'd stream online where it's boxy and pixely all around, the only thing that looks ANY bit decent on the tv is the background.

I've played around with the picture settings Judder, Blur, AMP etc and NOTHING works. I've since returned the tv for the exact same model to see if it was just my set and No luck, Absolutely horrible with this one too. So i went in to the store where i purchased it an they had a 55' version of the C630 on display so i brought up a blu ray i've been having problems with and got them to try it in the store. Even the display of the 55" model sucks. They Store which i bought it from kindly called their Samsung rep to see if he has any suggestion on a tv for Gaming and he suggested the C630. So once she told him what was going on he was pretty well speechless and couldn't suggest anything, So today i got fed up with this eyesore and decided to bring it back and i regretfully bought the Sharp 46LE700u to which i am extremely disappointed with. I've been seeing pretty well positive reviews on the ln46c630 so i'm wondering what's wrong with the batch of tv's at my local retailer.

Can ANY of you guys give me any suggestions on what to do. Wait for another LN46C630. I'm obviously not Keeping the Sharp. But i was wondering if you guys had a suggestion on what could be happening, or Another model tv that i could get from around the same price point. Thanks and i hope my Nightmare doesn't detour anyone from getting this tv

Also i like to add i have a Acer 23 monitor H233H to be exact, it has a 40,000:1 contrast 5ms responce time and yes full 1080p, and this is what i was using for my ps3, and so far it has had the best picture of all 3 tv's
Joshie N is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Member
 
sidneymng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidInTheHall28 View Post

Hey guys,

I've got my mind set on the 46C650, I'm worried about the input lag ests that are done, is most of that lag from using it as a PC monitor or just playing consoles? I'll be playing PS3, Xbox 360 etc on it. I've only gamed on a LCD for about 2 months a few years ago when I was renting a 37" Toshiba Regza, I really enjoyed it and never noticed lag of any kind, will I most likely have th same experience or should I consider another TV?

This will be my first HDTV and I'm really excited, I just want to pick the right one for my needs. I probably will use it as a PC Monitor but not in a online gaming type of way. Thanks for any help.


Tim

Gaming online sucks with any regular mode. Always turn off AMP when gaming or it will produce a huge lag. I followed someones settings here where you plug in your gaming console in HDMI 1 and change the name to PC and adjust the setting to your desire. IMO no lag at all and i play uncharted 2 online with out any problems.

IMO buy somewhere that has a no questions ask policy for 30-90day ie best buy or costco and try it out. Just a hassle to return it though.
sidneymng is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Member
 
KidInTheHall28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneymng View Post

Gaming online sucks with any regular mode. Always turn off AMP when gaming or it will produce a huge lag. I followed someones settings here where you plug in your gaming console in HDMI 1 and change the name to PC and adjust the setting to your desire. IMO no lag at all and i play uncharted 2 online with out any problems.

IMO buy somewhere that has a no questions ask policy for 30-90day ie best buy or costco and try it out. Just a hassle to return it though.


Cool thanks, I saw something about renaming it to PC-DVI or something? I was gonna get it off Amazon as it's the cheapest I've seen. I've been looking at other reviews of people using it for games and also with your post I'm confident that I'll be happy with my purchase. Thanks.
KidInTheHall28 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Does anyone know if all the 55c630 models have the S panel in them? I work at an Electronics retailer and the S panel is all I've seen in the 55" model. But, I saw a 40c630 that had the AA01 panel in it today and, wow, it looked like ass! I'm probably going to pick up a 55. I just want to know if most of those have the S panel or even better, all of them.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Skeenatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidInTheHall28 View Post

Cool thanks, I saw something about renaming it to PC-DVI or something? I was gonna get it off Amazon as it's the cheapest I've seen. I've been looking at other reviews of people using it for games and also with your post I'm confident that I'll be happy with my purchase. Thanks.

You're gonna love it I think. The old LCD you used probably had lag and you never noticed it. You could probably play your PS3 in regular mode and still not notice it except maybe in online FPS games. Do the trick with the PC name swap or put it on game mode and that lag you may or may not notice will be cut in half.
Skeenatron is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Skeenatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Does anyone know if all the 55c630 models have the S panel in them? I work at an Electronics retailer and the S panel is all I've seen in the 55" model. But, I saw a 40c630 that had the AA01 panel in it today and, wow, it looked like ass! I'm probably going to pick up a 55. I just want to know if most of those have the S panel or even better, all of them.

Word on the street is they all have S panels except for the 40"er which has the AA01. My LN55C630 is an SQ01 and has the ultra clear glossy screen like the C650 models, and it looks rad as hell in a dark room.
Skeenatron is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
b_rad4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario Canada
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneymng View Post

Gaming online sucks with any regular mode. Always turn off AMP when gaming or it will produce a huge lag. I followed someones settings here where you plug in your gaming console in HDMI 1 and change the name to PC and adjust the setting to your desire. IMO no lag at all and i play uncharted 2 online with out any problems.

IMO buy somewhere that has a no questions ask policy for 30-90day ie best buy or costco and try it out. Just a hassle to return it though.

It has 60-80ms in the PC mode you're talking about, some people don't notice it though. Refer to this thread for the best lag free tvs http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464 . I bought the Sharp 46e77u and ran the same tests as on the samsung and it has roughly 10ms of lag.
b_rad4 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeenatron View Post

Word on the street is they all have S panels except for the 40"er which has the AA01. My LN55C630 is an SQ01 and has the ultra clear glossy screen like the C650 models, and it looks rad as hell in a dark room.

Thank you very much, kind sir! The AA01 looked terrible. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to go on a scavenger hunt for a 55 S panel.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Newbie
 
mistrz23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post

It has 60-80ms in the PC mode you're talking about, some people don't notice it though. Refer to this thread for the best lag free tvs. I bought the Sharp 46e77u and ran the same tests as on the samsung and it has roughly 10ms of lag.

Any ideas if the lag problem can be fixed with an updated firmware from Samsung??If so, we should push samsung for it!

After reading all the posts I'm totally confused with the lag effect on this model. Some people claim they can notice it, others can't see the difference. Can we finalize or compare the best settings for the "smallest lag performance"?

I have ln40a550 and looking for an upgrade but not sure if I should go for c630 considering lag issues.
mistrz23 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
b_rad4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kitchener, Ontario Canada
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrz23 View Post

Any ideas if the lag problem can be fixed with an updated firmware from Samsung??If so, we should push samsung for it!

After reading all the posts I'm totally confused with the lag effect on this model. Some people claim they can notice it, others can't see the difference. Can we finalize or compare the best settings for the "smallest lag performance"?

I have ln40a550 and looking for an upgrade but not sure if I should go for c630 considering lag issues.



That is the lowest I had gotten with my tests. It was in pc mode and you can add another 10ms on top of that for my lap top monitor. If you are not sensative you may not notice it but I could so I took it back and traded for a Sharp LC-46e77u. Here is the same test I did with it.

b_rad4 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Skeenatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshie N View Post

Hey guys i just purchased the LN46c630 last friday and it's been a nightmare, I've bought for the soul purpose of using it with my PS3. At first there was an audio lag with it which i managed to fix with Optical cable. Then came the video, When ever i am watching a video be it DVD, Blu-Ray or even Cable there is this boxing/pixel effect that appears around ANYTHING fast moving. For Example i'm playing the game " Just Cause 2 " for ps3 and when ever the main character is running the ground sorta has a watering effect like he's running on water. In the game Battlefeild Bad Company 2 if there are any Explosions or rapid gun fire the screen goes nuts with blur. The easiest way i can describe it is it looks like video you'd stream online where it's boxy and pixely all around, the only thing that looks ANY bit decent on the tv is the background.

I've played around with the picture settings Judder, Blur, AMP etc and NOTHING works. I've since returned the tv for the exact same model to see if it was just my set and No luck, Absolutely horrible with this one too. So i went in to the store where i purchased it an they had a 55' version of the C630 on display so i brought up a blu ray i've been having problems with and got them to try it in the store. Even the display of the 55" model sucks. They Store which i bought it from kindly called their Samsung rep to see if he has any suggestion on a tv for Gaming and he suggested the C630. So once she told him what was going on he was pretty well speechless and couldn't suggest anything, So today i got fed up with this eyesore and decided to bring it back and i regretfully bought the Sharp 46LE700u to which i am extremely disappointed with. I've been seeing pretty well positive reviews on the ln46c630 so i'm wondering what's wrong with the batch of tv's at my local retailer.

Can ANY of you guys give me any suggestions on what to do. Wait for another LN46C630. I'm obviously not Keeping the Sharp. But i was wondering if you guys had a suggestion on what could be happening, or Another model tv that i could get from around the same price point. Thanks and i hope my Nightmare doesn't detour anyone from getting this tv

Also i like to add i have a Acer 23 monitor H233H to be exact, it has a 40,000:1 contrast 5ms responce time and yes full 1080p, and this is what i was using for my ps3, and so far it has had the best picture of all 3 tv's


I got the LN55C630 after going and looking at the TVs in the store 5 times, buy and returning a plasma, and reading these and many other forums for hours. When I popped on the TV I had all the same issues you mentioned as it was just the way the TV was set up from the factory. I also do everything on my PS3 like you do. The only difference between my TV and the TV you had is the size and I have the glossy screen while you have the semi-matte. If you plan on using your TV in the dark like I do (bedroom) I strongly recommend the glossy screen from the 55" or the C650 models.

Anyway, if you do end up finding yourself playing with the C630/C650 settings again with a PS3 try setting it up the way I did and see what you think. I've messed with my settings and copied many other peoples settings for hours to the point where I feel very good about the picture.

I put up an updated, more detailed list of my settings in the calibration/settings thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18533190


TV Audio settings:
I only use the TV speakers so I don't think it matters TOO much what the settings on in here except for the SPDIF Output should be PCM if using HDMI and TV speakers and the delay NEEDS to be at 0 (it came stock at 100 and i noticed audio lag instantly).

When I play games I usually switch the TV settings to game mode which brings up a whole new set of settings. I keep all the settings the same as I had set them up for watching blurays in non-game mode, except the picture mode will have to be set to Standard and the AMP option is grayed out.

Lastly, make sure you stand far away from the screen in a dark room when using these settings. They are set up this way to make the picture look great without any ambient light screwing everything up (and it screws it up big time with the glossy screen). All big TVs look like crap from close up too, so sit way back 10-12 feet in my opinion. Hope this helps you or anyone else looking for a nice baseline for settings.
Skeenatron is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrEastSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshie N View Post

Hey guys i just purchased the LN46c630 last friday and it's been a nightmare, I've bought for the soul purpose of using it with my PS3. At first there was an audio lag with it which i managed to fix with Optical cable. Then came the video, When ever i am watching a video be it DVD, Blu-Ray or even Cable there is this boxing/pixel effect that appears around ANYTHING fast moving. For Example i'm playing the game " Just Cause 2 " for ps3 and when ever the main character is running the ground sorta has a watering effect like he's running on water. In the game Battlefeild Bad Company 2 if there are any Explosions or rapid gun fire the screen goes nuts with blur. The easiest way i can describe it is it looks like video you'd stream online where it's boxy and pixely all around, the only thing that looks ANY bit decent on the tv is the background.

My B750 does what you describe if I have AMP or blur or judder reduction cranked up. When I turn them off the problem goes away.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
MrEastSide is online now  
Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Mike999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

That's interesting. I haven't noticed any difference in sharpness, but honestly I haven't spent that much time with the tv. But in my sparse viewing so far I haven't noticed much of an issue with sharpness. Is this happening for broadcasts or blu-rays or both?

I see some degree of graininess and blurriness with all sources. It's especially noticeable on SD cable channels, which look very soft and display a lot of artifacts. The same channels looked quite good on the A panel I had, almost like a tube TV.

This fuzziness is clearly related to the panel type, as I saw the same thing on 40B550 S panels. My 46B500 has an AMVA3 panel and there's no doubt it has a sharper image than my 40B630, which is ridiculous, considering it's a very low end model.

It's pretty telling I think that Samsung has moved away from the old S-PVA type >>> on higher end models. The 750 line and many of their LED models use either the new S-PVA type with the vertical chevrons ^ or a Sharp ASV variant or AMVA3.

I think A panels get a bad rap because some people are basing their opinion on old posts that compared AMVA to S-PVA. Since AMVA was an older, less refined version of S-PVA, it probably did look poor in comparison. Samsung is now using AMVA3, which would appear to be a variant of ASV, and this technology is clearly much newer than S-PVA. My guess is that Samsung is mixing in S panels with A panels only in order to clear out old stock.
Mike999 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Member
 
KidInTheHall28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeenatron View Post

You're gonna love it I think. The old LCD you used probably had lag and you never noticed it. You could probably play your PS3 in regular mode and still not notice it except maybe in online FPS games. Do the trick with the PC name swap or put it on game mode and that lag you may or may not notice will be cut in half.

Awesome thanks, very excited and can't wait til I can get this TV.
KidInTheHall28 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Newbie
 
Joshie N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I'll be trying these settings tomorrow when i have access to the set, I'll keep you posted as if it works or not

Thanks!
Joshie N is offline  
Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Newbie
 
Joshie N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks guys i tried out what you suggested and it works beautifully. you don't understand how great full i am. Thank you sooo much!
Joshie N is offline  
Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
mcantu1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeenatron View Post

I got the LN55C630 after going and looking at the TVs in the store 5 times, buy and returning a plasma, and reading these and many other forums for hours. When I popped on the TV I had all the same issues you mentioned as it was just the way the TV was set up from the factory. I also do everything on my PS3 like you do. The only difference between my TV and the TV you had is the size and I have the glossy screen while you have the semi-matte. If you plan on using your TV in the dark like I do (bedroom) I strongly recommend the glossy screen from the 55" or the C650 models.

Anyway, if you do end up finding yourself playing with the C630/C650 settings again with a PS3 try setting it up the way I did and see what you think. I've messed with my settings and copied many other peoples settings for hours to the point where I feel very good about the picture.

PS3 Settings:

In Video Settings-
BD/DVD Video Output Format: RGB
24p/hz: ON if you don't want to use AMP (see below) at all or OFF if you want to even attempt to see what AMP can look like on Blurays.

In Display Settings-
RGB Full Range: Full
Super White: On


TV Settings (LN55C630 or LN46C650)

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 4-7 (depending on your preference)
Con: 100
Bright: 46-50 (I like it somewhere between here, not sure just where exactly yet)
Sharp: 10
Color: 49
Tint: 49/51

All eco options- off

Advanced- all Off or 0 except for :
Color space: Auto
White Balance (got this off of cnet recommendations for last years models, could try it without the adjustments and see if you notice much difference):
23
24
25
27
23
15

Picture Options-
Color temp: Warm 1 or Warm 2 (preference, i like warm 1 better i think but most people say they like warm 2)
Size: screen fit
DN filter: Auto
MPEG DN filter: Auto
HDMI Black Level (very important for these settings): Low
AMP: If watching a blu ray and 24p is turned on, leave this off. If watching a bluray and 24p is turned off try playing with the different options, they will be working correctly so use something if you like it. If I use it at all I usually use Clear, or Smooth, or a Custom setting (9 blur, 1 dejudder or 9, 3). I think things like Planet Earth look great with Smooth on or a Custom setting but either have it off completely for movies/TV shows with humans or use the custom 9,1 setting. 9,1 is cool in my opinion because it takes the edge off the natural film look (natural film output judders) without making it look too much like a soap opera, cuz i hate that.

TV Audio settings:
I only use the TV speakers so I don't think it matters TOO much what the settings on in here except for the SPDIF Output should be PCM if using HDMI and TV speakers and the delay NEEDS to be at 0 (it came stock at 100 and i noticed audio lag instantly).

When I play games I usually switch the TV settings to game mode which brings up a whole new set of settings. I keep all the settings the same as I had set them up for watching blurays in non-game mode, except the picture mode will have to be set to Standard and the AMP option is grayed out.

Lastly, make sure you stand far away from the screen in a dark room when using these settings. They are set up this way to make the picture look great without any ambient light screwing everything up (and it screws it up big time with the glossy screen). All big TVs look like crap from close up too, so sit way back 10-12 feet in my opinion. Hope this helps you or anyone else looking for a nice baseline for settings.

with the ps3 set to RGB Full, the Black Level setting on the tv should be at Normal
mcantu1 is offline  
Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Member
 
unknownvirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 40C630 yesterday (its a SQ02 for anyone who cares). Here's a quick review

The TV, doesn't look great out of the box, and I struggled a bit to get it looking good. Is it just me or is anyone else noticing like super whites and a lot of contrast when watching cable tv? I think I got it adjusted down to a comfortable level, but it doesn't seem like the colors pop as much as before. One question that I have is what the majority of you guys have your cable STB set to 1080i or 720p; I can't really notice a difference my self, though i think 1080i might be looking a little better. I don't want to switch it back and forth, would like to pick the best one for sports and normal tv shows (I'm guessing everyone will say 720p in this case).

The AMP is an interesting effect. On standard, it was too weird. On clear its a bit better, but there some screen tearing and artifacts. AMP is off for now, but after i get some more time I'll try the clear setting out again.

I've been reading a lot about input lag on this set, and coming from a 4 year old Westinghouse 1080p set, I figured anything could be better than this, plus its a Samsung!...well I guess not, cause there is a good amount of input lag. Here's some detail, I hooked up my PS3 via hdmi 1, but set the source name to Game, and started playing fifa.. My cousin and I noticed the lag and were pretty annoyed by it. Then I switched the source name to PC, like it was suggested in this thread, but as soon as I did, the picture quality became really washed out, and less vibrant from when it was set to Game. So we were immediately turned off and switched it back. So my question is, did anyone else notice a difference in picture quality when changing the source name to PC? Also, where in the settings is "game mode", I actually couldn't find it.

That brings me to bluray playback. Do most of you have your ps3's 1080p/24hz option set to Auto? I watched a few scenes of Iron Man in 24hz and they looked awesome, then I turned off the 24hz setting and watched the same scenes, and the picture was a lot darker. It seems like the color settings change for when you watch 24hz movies to when you play a 1080p video game. I'm interested in seeing how a non 24hz 1080p bluray will look.

My netflix copy of Star Trek on bluray did not play in my PS3...wtf?

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and if i can get the PS3, bluray, and cable box settings and colors to be more accurate, I'll be even happier. The TV does have a really pleasing design, and the swivel stand is great.

Don't know if my review helped anyone...but if anyone could take a stab at some of my questions, especially the one about setting the PS3 as PC, that'd be great. Thanks!
unknownvirus is offline  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Member
 
sidneymng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownvirus View Post

Just got my 40C630 yesterday (its a SQ02 for anyone who cares). Here's a quick review

The TV, doesn't look great out of the box, and I struggled a bit to get it looking good. Is it just me or is anyone else noticing like super whites and a lot of contrast when watching cable tv? I think I got it adjusted down to a comfortable level, but it doesn't seem like the colors pop as much as before. One question that I have is what the majority of you guys have your cable STB set to 1080i or 720p; I can't really notice a difference my self, though i think 1080i might be looking a little better. I don't want to switch it back and forth, would like to pick the best one for sports and normal tv shows (I'm guessing everyone will say 720p in this case).

The AMP is an interesting effect. On standard, it was too weird. On clear its a bit better, but there some screen tearing and artifacts. AMP is off for now, but after i get some more time I'll try the clear setting out again.

I've been reading a lot about input lag on this set, and coming from a 4 year old Westinghouse 1080p set, I figured anything could be better than this, plus its a Samsung!...well I guess not, cause there is a good amount of input lag. Here's some detail, I hooked up my PS3 via hdmi 1, but set the source name to Game, and started playing fifa.. My cousin and I noticed the lag and were pretty annoyed by it. Then I switched the source name to PC, like it was suggested in this thread, but as soon as I did, the picture quality became really washed out, and less vibrant from when it was set to Game. So we were immediately turned off and switched it back. So my question is, did anyone else notice a difference in picture quality when changing the source name to PC? Also, where in the settings is "game mode", I actually couldn't find it.

That brings me to bluray playback. Do most of you have your ps3's 1080p/24hz option set to Auto? I watched a few scenes of Iron Man in 24hz and they looked awesome, then I turned off the 24hz setting and watched the same scenes, and the picture was a lot darker. It seems like the color settings change for when you watch 24hz movies to when you play a 1080p video game. I'm interested in seeing how a non 24hz 1080p bluray will look.

My netflix copy of Star Trek on bluray did not play in my PS3...wtf?

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and if i can get the PS3, bluray, and cable box settings and colors to be more accurate, I'll be even happier. The TV does have a really pleasing design, and the swivel stand is great.

Don't know if my review helped anyone...but if anyone could take a stab at some of my questions, especially the one about setting the PS3 as PC, that'd be great. Thanks!

YES the PC renamed mode is washed out, but you just have to try to calibrate it to your liking, i put the HDMI black level to low. when in normal looks like its foggy/washed out.

I think you went to game mode already by renaming it to game. Its a hassle to watch ps3 blu rays in regular mode "----" and have to change it to PC every time i play video games, correct me if im wrong.

IMO i don't like AMP in movies/tv shows, i want a cinema experience not a soap opera type one, the way the movies were suppose to be view at.

But AMP in sports/live broadcasting it great.

I leave me 24hz on ps3 to auto because it should turn on when it is applicable.
sidneymng is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off