post #721 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus7661 View Post

hey guys, i havnt returned my samsung yet, but i plan to do it on monday because it has a stuck pixel..it seems to display most colors but on a black screen it stays green? its very weird...i guess im going to exchange it..i just wanted to ask you guys, what are the chances of me getting a tv that is even more screwed up than the 1 i have now?..that always seems to be my luck

If it's brand new, I'd take it back. I've had several LCDs over the last few years and they've all been perfect out of the box. And I've only noticed a dead pixel on one of my sets and that was after 6 months of use. I'd exchange it, but that's just me.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

Well, here's an update on my tv issues:

Played a Blu-Ray copy of "Breaking Bad" last night and there were audio dropouts all over the place. Previously, the dropouts had only been very intermittent (maybe once every 5-7 days). So, I replaced the HDMI cable. The dropouts on that Blu-Ray disc went away....at least SO FAR.

I always thought that an HDMI cable either worked or it didn't. To get intermittent audio dropouts, I thought had to be the problem of the tv. But if it was the HDMI cable all along, I will be kicking myself.

well if it was just a broken cable, then you're all set. If not, you can have sony fix the issue under warranty and keep your tv.. If so you should call sony and find out if they'll give you in-home service. In most cases I think they do. A technician would come to your house and fix it on the spot.
post #723 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:

hey guys, i havnt returned my samsung yet, but i plan to do it on monday because it has a stuck pixel..it seems to display most colors but on a black screen it stays green? its very weird...i guess im going to exchange it..i just wanted to ask you guys, what are the chances of me getting a tv that is even more screwed up than the 1 i have now?..that always seems to be my luck

magnus i too would take it back. A stuck pixel is not the same as a little flashlighting, it's a deal breaker.
post #724 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Greetings,

I have posted a Thread for Wall Mounts for our TVs if anyone is interested in replying or viewing the info, please go to this link...Hopefully it can be a good startup guide for all wall mount newbies like myself

Thanks!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18542202
post #725 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worther View Post

well if it was just a broken cable, then you're all set. If not, you can have sony fix the issue under warranty and keep your tv.. If so you should call sony and find out if they'll give you in-home service. In most cases I think they do. A technician would come to your house and fix it on the spot.

True that, Worther. But I've had the tv for less than 30 days. So, if the audio dropouts come back in full force, I'll exchange for the Samsung 46C630.
post #726 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

anyone use a calibration disc yet to get the color settings right? the blues and reds are a little off on these sets. I have a disc but not a blue filter

You can just turn the set to Standard or Movie mode, and under advanced settings is an RGB mode. Pick blue and it turns off the R/G colors so you can calibrate the color. It also has built in test patterns too.

nuke
post #727 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM

so get this..i took the tv back today..got an exchange..i got the other tv home..hooked it up and it has 7...7 stuck pixels! *sigh* my girlfriend works at best buy so i dont want to piss the people off there or embarass her but..theres no way im keeping this one...*sigh* im so sick of not being able to get a tv that works. i got 3 plasmas, 1 from walmart and 2 from compusa..they were all screwed up..i just got a samsung, it had 1 stuck pixel..so i took it back, got another one and now this one has 7 stuck pixels...someone needs to be sued
post #728 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM

What do they do with these sets with stuck pixels? I'd like to buy one for like super cheap... There should be a place where you can buy TVs that work, but have minor disclosed flaws...

How DARE you question my ignorance!?!
post #729 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

magnus i too would take it back. A stuck pixel is not the same as a little flashlighting, it's a deal breaker.

A stuck pixel really isn't that bad. I had one on mine out of the box and in a few months time it was gone. Then another appeared and that one is now gone as well. Stuck pixel isn't the same as a dead pixel. Stuck pixels don't stay that way for good.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #730 of 6233 Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Man you must have some serious bad luck with tvs. I've never got one ever with a stuck/dead pixel. I've seen several people return a tv due to a dead pixel. We just resold the tv for a cheaper price. Sometimes it will get fixed if it's really bad then come to the sales floor to be sold at a discounted price but sometimes this discount isn't all that good.
post #731 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, but someone mentioned that Sony uses the same panel as Samsung on the LCD's in the comparable price range of these models. So I am curious what the main differences are between Sony and Samsung, when it comes to LCD? It would be helpful to know, being that I am considering whether or not to switch my EX400 out for the 46C630.

Thanks in advance.
post #732 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM

so i guess im going to take this second tv back since it has about 7 stuck pixels all in 1 place..its almost like a line of stuck pixels...*sigh* this sucks. hopefully they will exchange it again..i hope i dont embarass/get my fiance in trouble for returning the tv's since she works there at best buy..i just want to get one that is perfect..atleast for a few months if nothing else...im going to get the black tie protection but i dont want to get work done on a brand new tv you know?...also..has anyone else that got these tv's had any problems with stuck pixels or is it just me?
post #733 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM

My only problem is flashlighting in the bottom right corner, still debating on an exchange.
post #734 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM

I've had my LN46C630 for over a week and was flawless out of the box, bought mine at Sears. I still have the plastic on it that covers the edges
post #735 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post

My only problem is flashlighting in the bottom right corner, still debating on an exchange.

what is "flashlighting"? just being able to see the light in the bottom corner of the screen? cuz i think i had that too..just wasnt aware that was a problem lol
post #736 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

so i guess im going to take this second tv back since it has about 7 stuck pixels all in 1 place..its almost like a line of stuck pixels...*sigh* this sucks. hopefully they will exchange it again..i hope i dont embarass/get my fiance in trouble for returning the tv's since she works there at best buy..i just want to get one that is perfect..atleast for a few months if nothing else...im going to get the black tie protection but i dont want to get work done on a brand new tv you know?...also..has anyone else that got these tv's had any problems with stuck pixels or is it just me?

She isn't likely to get in trouble, every store has rules and there are also laws that protect your gf and you. If you buy a product and it isn't working like it is suppose to then you have the right to return it. Now most stores give you 30 days, some may only due 14 days. Read the return policy.
One thing to note is that make sure you not using her discount, that may become a problem since so many tv's are being returned. Companies do have rules when an employee uses their discount.
post #737 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what is "flashlighting"? just being able to see the light in the bottom corner of the screen? cuz i think i had that too..just wasnt aware that was a problem lol

Imo, I don't see flashlighting so much as a problem more just a technology flaw like stuck/dead pixels. If you get to much flashlighting or to many stuck/dead pixels either return it or get it fixed.
post #738 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

Imo, I don't see flashlighting so much as a problem more just a technology flaw like stuck/dead pixels. If you get to much flashlighting or to many stuck/dead pixels either return it or get it fixed.

Unfortunately, some flashlighting in the corners or clouding overall is a symptom on nearly all LCD tv's. If you have one without either of these issues, consider yourself VERY lucky. I went on an ill-fated quest 3 years ago to find an LCD without these problems. I went through SEVEN televisions (no joke). Every single one had both these issues. The 7 tv's included Samsung and Sony models at the time, including Sony's top-of-the-line XBR model.

My current tv has no flashlighting but very light clouding. The clouding is not very apparent on a totally black screen or startup screen. But during a movie in a dark scene during camera pans, you can see a thin film of clouds going by. Pretty distracting, but a sad fact of life with most LCD tv's these days. I fear that if I exchange for another, the problem will be even worse. As some have called it, it's a total lottery....luck of the draw.
post #739 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 04:15 PM

I purchased the LN46C630 from Amazon about two weeks ago and I have decided to send it back. Clouding and a lighter streak that runs horizontally across the screen near the middle during dark scenes. I really regret not seeing this thread before making my purchase. I had no idea about the panel lottery.
post #740 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 04:28 PM

There is finally a review of the C630 series online (with the UCP it looks like). Two big questions the review finally answered for me:

1. Black level 0.07 cd/m2
2. Greyscale gamma 2.76

It's a full review at televisioninfo.com

I've been lurking for months deciding between a Kuro PRO-111FD, Panasonic G20 (or V20), and the 55 inch C630. Yeah, I know...weird mix. Thought I'd post the review for others like me! With that awesome black level, I might just jump...
post #741 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH1972 View Post

I purchased the LN46C630 from Amazon about two weeks ago and I have decided to send it back. Clouding and a lighter streak that runs horizontally across the screen near the middle during dark scenes. I really regret not seeing this thread before making my purchase. I had no idea about the panel lottery.

PCH, my clouding pattern on my current Sony is the exact same (I have read that Samsung and Sony share the same panels). Just realize that the next tv you get (assuming it's LCD), will likely have the same issues...perhaps even worse. I ran into the same mindset years ago, and paid for it by making several exchanges. Unfortunately, there's no getting around this lottery luck thing if you go LCD. I am not familiar with LED and whether they have the same issues. But for me, it was a money thing. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, only to have the same problems.
post #742 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Oh I understand completely. The streak across the middle is so distracting. I can't live with it.
post #743 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:

How does the return process at Amazon work?

I have been hesitant to buy online because of so many return issue posts. The same set is $500 less at Amazon than Sears.

Thanks
post #744 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM

You just call them and they arrange their carrier to contact you for pick-up. Basically the same process in reverse for getting the tv.
post #745 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:

what was your panel btw?
post #746 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, some flashlighting in the corners or clouding overall is a symptom on nearly all LCD tv's. If you have one without either of these issues, consider yourself VERY lucky. I went on an ill-fated quest 3 years ago to find an LCD without these problems. I went through SEVEN televisions (no joke). Every single one had both these issues. The 7 tv's included Samsung and Sony models at the time, including Sony's top-of-the-line XBR model.

My current tv has no flashlighting but very light clouding. The clouding is not very apparent on a totally black screen or startup screen. But during a movie in a dark scene during camera pans, you can see a thin film of clouds going by. Pretty distracting, but a sad fact of life with most LCD tv's these days. I fear that if I exchange for another, the problem will be even worse. As some have called it, it's a total lottery....luck of the draw.

I'm sure I have it. When I first got the tv I couldn't stand the light bleeding from the sides. Over time it either went away or I got use to it. Not sure which. More than likely I just got use to it. I have learned not to get all caught up in a tv. There's so many factors that trying to figure it all out would drive me crazy. So I just set the picture to what I think is best and go with that. If I see a problem or am curious about something i'll try and research it. If I can't find a solution then I can use my warranty or if your within your return policy then just return it.
post #747 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owhblue View Post

There is finally a review of the C630 series online (with the UCP it looks like). Two big questions the review finally answered for me:

1. Black level 0.07 cd/m2
2. Greyscale gamma 2.76

It's a full review at televisioninfo.com

I've been lurking for months deciding between a Kuro PRO-111FD, Panasonic G20 (or V20), and the 55 inch C630. Yeah, I know...weird mix. Thought I'd post the review for others like me! With that awesome black level, I might just jump...

The only C630 model that has the ultra clear panel is the 55". The 40" and 46" have matte finishes.
post #748 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 PM

My panel was the SQ01.
post #749 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler View Post

I'm sure I have it. When I first got the tv I couldn't stand the light bleeding from the sides. Over time it either went away or I got use to it. Not sure which. More than likely I just got use to it. I have learned not to get all caught up in a tv. There's so many factors that trying to figure it all out would drive me crazy. So I just set the picture to what I think is best and go with that. If I see a problem or am curious about something i'll try and research it. If I can't find a solution then I can use my warranty or if your within your return policy then just return it.

I have much of the same attitude. Three years ago, when I first got into HDTV and LCD, I felt it was totally unacceptable to have a tv with flashlight and clouding issues. I was very committed to finding a solution and even found contacts at Sony Corporate and spoke to one on the phone. The guy said there was a firmware fix coming, but it eventually proved to be nothing more than an auto-dimming function (I assume, to conceal the clouding issue).

I have found that if I expect a tv to be perfect, I'll drive myself crazy. It's all about what you can live with. PCH says he can't live with the clouding on his LCD. I can totally understand where he's coming from. But my past experience has proven to me that the next tv I get in exchange is likely to be even WORSE than the previous one. So, in the past, I ran into a situation where the exchange tv was worse and I went back to the store and asked for the old one back. They got very angry with me, and I can understand. It really can drive you crazy, trying to find a tv you can live with.

I just want to buy a projector once I buy a house in a coupla years and say **ck it.

post #750 of 6233 Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:

I have much of the same attitude. Three years ago, when I first got into HDTV and LCD, I felt it was totally unacceptable to have a tv with flashlight and clouding issues. I was very committed to finding a solution and even found contacts at Sony Corporate and spoke to one on the phone. The guy said there was a firmware fix coming, but it eventually proved to be nothing more than an auto-dimming function (I assume, to conceal the clouding issue).

I have found that if I expect a tv to be perfect, I'll drive myself crazy. It's all about what you can live with. PCH says he can't live with the clouding on his LCD. I can totally understand where he's coming from. But my past experience has proven to me that the next tv I get in exchange is likely to be even WORSE than the previous one. So, in the past, I ran into a situation where the exchange tv was worse and I went back to the store and asked for the old one back. They got very angry with me, and I can understand. It really can drive you crazy, trying to find a tv you can live with.

I just want to buy a projector once I buy a house in a coupla years and say **ck it.

the store shouldnt get pissed off though is the thing..its not YOUR fault the tv is screwed up. when you pay a 1k or more for a tv it should be perfect. theres no arguing with that. if the store wants to get p'd off with you, tell them to direct their anger toward the manufacturer of the tv or get their geek squad or whatever their tech team is to fix the damned thing and give it back to you perfect, as it should be if it is supposed to be brand new..i really dont see how these manufacturers can get away with sending out these screwed up tv's..someone needs to be tapped with a lawsuit and maybe they'll take their time and do things the way they're supposed to be done
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page