Official Samsung LNXXC630/C650 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6233 Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be getting the LN40C630 delivered on Tuesday, It's ridiculous that Samsung, has no information on the their website. I even called Samsung support and they were unable to give me any information on the contrast ratio. I just read a review on best buy.com a reviewer is saying that the contrast is 80,000:1. I'm hoping that the ratio is 120,000:1 like MrSamsung is saying, but i doubt it, either way i think this will be a great tv for the price, Im upgrading from a "32 720p Samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6233 Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM

Took my LN46C630 for delivery this morning and have spent pretty much all day (stupid work) setting it up and fiddling with the multitude of options. Quite an upgrade from my LG 26LC7D. Fair warning: I am still relatively new to the home theater arena, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The picture is gorgeous. I love the semi-matte screen; it does a great job of making the colors pop while diffusing sunlight from the bay windows and artificial light from our bright, overhead picture lights. The blacks are deep -- much deeper than on the LG -- and the dynamic contrast setting really brings out the rest of the image. The look of the unit is pleasing, with a thin (~2"), square, uniform bezel; an almost non-existent swivel base; and a small control pad on the face that virtually disappears if you're not looking for it. (There is a superfluous layer of glass over the bezel that might irk some people, but I kind of like it.)

The sound is a lot better than I expected it to be. I've pretty much given up on TV speakers and recently installed a surround sound system to circumvent the issue, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the purchase, and I definitely had a stroke of good luck because I made the amateur mistake of not seeing the set in person before pulling the trigger. I don't have any 1080p content at the moment, but 720p looks absolutely amazing at a viewing distance of about seven feet. The edge enhancement, digital noise filter, and MPEG noise filter features handle horribly-compressed Comcast content with noticeable improvement. I haven't touched the black tone, shadow detail, gamma, color space, [10p] white balance, or flesh tone settings yet... I figure I'd do more harm than good!

Other thoughts:
  • Not only do I not like the effect that Auto Motion Plus (AMP) 120 Hz produces, but it doesn't even work very well. It skips, jumps, pixelates, and distorts with disturbing regularity. I tried adjusting the dejudder and deblurring effects separately in a custom setting with very disappointing results.
  • The menu system is taking some getting used to. Settings change (as a result of other settings changing) and it's not always clear why; settings are disabled (as a result of other settings) and it's not always clear why; in general, there appear to be some internal machinations that I'm not quite savvy to just yet. UPDATE: The user manual accurately lays out these quirks.
  • The remote is a bit toy-ish, but not bad. Don't let anybody scare you off because of the remote!
  • I set the HDMI output of my Motorola DCX3400 to "Native" to preserve original broadcast resolutions and 1080i broadcasts look like garbage. Fuzzy garbage. I tried it both direct to the TV and through the deinterlacer on my Denon AVR with the same results. In every single case, I was able to obtain a much sharper image by letting the Comcast DVR rescale the 1080i broadcast to 720p. I don't know if it's Comcast, the DVR, or the TV, or if I simply have a serious misunderstanding of 1080i, but regardless I am not pleased. UPDATE: I'm not sure what was going on here, but I'm very happy with 1080i and 720p content. I had to switch to component to work around a known issue with Motorola DVRs and Denon AVRs (the loss of settings issue).
  • In a similar vein, my trusty old Toshiba DVD player is starting to show its age. I'm getting some serious aliasing over the component video connection. I'm still working on this -- it might be an issue with the Denon -- but given that a Blu-Ray player is in my future, it may not be that big of a deal. I just expected the new set to have a relatively decent scaler for 480i/p content. UPDATE: DVD playback is better through my Xbox 360, so I think the Toshiba is just old. I still plan to pick up a Blu-Ray player in the near future.
  • I'm having trouble getting my Intel Mac Mini (August 2007) to drive the display at 1920x1080 over a DVI->HDMI connection without losing the top menu bar and the bottom of the dock. The solution is probably going to be either the Screen Fit function or to bite the bullet and purchase SwitchResX. UPDATE: Was able to solve this issue, caused by my AVR, with a DVI Doctor.

That's it for now. I'll be back with updates.
post #93 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 AM

Liked: 11
I will be buying the LN40C630 on Friday, I am suprised that there is only 4 pages of this thread, I thought it would be more! I will post my impressions on Friday and post pictures of the TV We need more owners here!
post #94 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 108
have not seen the c650 yet, but i love the c630's. excellent PQ for a CCFL, and has far deeper black level than the Sony EX5 series. contrast seems to be 120K:1.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Silver RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #95 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 05:19 AM

I set up my LN46C650 last night, and only had a bit of time to explore.
Here's what I can report with minutes of experience...
The set has an SQ01 label; haven't seen one yet (46" C630/C650) that doesn't. I used a test generator on the component inputs and ran colored raster patterns to check for stuck pixels and found none. I used the multiburst pattern to check for ringing, and didn't see any, but I still turned the edge enhmacement off and set the sharpness to 0. The greyscale looked best to me with the movie/warm 1 preset. I set each input to "movie/warm 1" with custom blur/judder reduction on low settings, and disabled all noise reduction, etc. The built in test pattern generator is nice, and there's an extensive set of adjustment for greyscale/gamma. Screen uniformity varies with backlight/brightness levels and I see a few irregularities, but it's what I expected for an LCD. I've put up with a shadow mask alignment problem in my CRT for ten years, so I can deal with it.
The Netflix application prompts for a Samsung software upgrade but no upgrade is available, and I found the set's Netflix ID, but I can't generate an activation code.
Real HD from off air network feeds via the tuner looks as expected (some of the local stations compress the hell out the network feeds, some don't).
I've purposely set all of my SD stuff (two DVD players and Wii) to 16:9 at 480 interlaced so that my Denon receiver will de-interlace and output 1080p to the Samsung. The Denon does a really good job.
If anyone discovers anything regarding the Netflix app, I'd like to hear about it.
post #96 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 AM

Im curious about the 40" models. From what I have seen in this thread so far its not the same panel as the 46" c630/c650
post #97 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 07:37 AM

I was able to obtain my LN46C630 from HHGregg last night. Brought it home and set it up. Was up wayyyyy too late playing with the settings and still have more to do. Eventually will need some suggestions on a few of the settings as I don't see a noticeable difference when I change a few of them even drastically (e.g. Sharpness).

I will post more thoughts after Ive had a chance to see more.

By the way, I would love to post pictures. Jarsofwei, how did you get such good pictures of the screen in your first post? Anything special to help capture the screen image?

My Setup:
Samsung LN46C630
Denon 790 AVR
Energy CF-30 Tower L/R Speakers
Energy CC-10 Center Channel Speaker
BIC PL-200 Subwoofer
Panasonic BD-60 Blu Ray Player
post #98 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Can please anyone post some pics of the remote?
post #99 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by felsi View Post

Can please anyone post some pics of the remote?

I posted a picture of the remote in the very first post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatNation View Post

By the way, I would love to post pictures. Jarsofwei, how did you get such good pictures of the screen in your first post? Anything special to help capture the screen image?

I just used my wife's point and shoot camera at ISO 400 with the flash off and a steady hand. It's a bit tricky to get right, though.
post #100 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 AM

I'm curious on the amount of inputs on the C630. BBuy site says no component Inputs. The C650 (per manual from samsung) has, 1 composite, 2 component, and 4 hdmi. Oh and does the C630 have a Lan port?

jarsofwei - how do you like the LN40c630 so far?
post #101 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alakaboo View Post

I set the HDMI output of my Motorola DCX3400 to "Native" to preserve original broadcast resolutions and 1080i broadcasts look like garbage. Fuzzy garbage. I tried it both direct to the TV and through the deinterlacer on my Denon AVR with the same results. In every single case, I was able to obtain a much sharper image by letting the Comcast DVR rescale the 1080i broadcast to 720p. I don't know if it's Comcast, the DVR, or the TV, or if I simply have a serious misunderstanding of 1080i, but regardless I am not pleased.

I ran the cable directly into the TV and was able to pull down a 1080i broadcast. It looks great, much better than even the scaled 720p image through the DVR. I think it's safe to say that the DVR is at fault here -- apparently this is the first time that Moto has tried to implement a "Native" setting -- not Comcast, and definitely not the TV.

Quote:

In a similar vein, my trusty old Toshiba DVD player is starting to show its age. I'm getting some serious aliasing over the component video connection. I'm still working on this -- it might be an issue with the Denon -- but given that a Blu-Ray player is in my future, it may not be that big of a deal. I just expected the new set to have a relatively decent scaler for 480i/p content.

I tried a few other DVDs and I think it's tolerable for the time being. 46" must just be pushing the limits of the scaler for 480i/p content.

Quote:

I'm having trouble getting my Intel Mac Mini (August 2007) to drive the display at 1920x1080 over a DVI->HDMI connection without losing the top menu bar and the bottom of the dock. The solution is probably going to be either the Screen Fit function or to bite the bullet and purchase SwitchResX.

I'm using Snow Leopard's 1080p setting with overscan enabled and Samsung' Screen Fit function with acceptable results.
post #102 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 AM

C630 has:
4 HDMI, 2 Component, 1 composite, 1 PC, 2 USB, 1 Coaxial
post #103 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Thank you for the quick response jshendel Sweet so the 630 has just as many inputs Might be picking up my first HDTV this weekend

Does it by chance have a network port?
post #104 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeronetFi View Post

Thank you for the quick response jshendel Sweet so the 630 has just as many inputs Might be picking up my first HDTV this weekend

Does it by chance have a network port?

It does have network input, but I haven't used it. I just got the TV late last night. I am still trying to mess with the settings.

If anyone has good calibrations for the C630, please post.
post #105 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Has anyone had any success with the Netflix app. on a 650? I'm still getting a prompt to update the set software but no update is available...
post #106 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM

I also picked up the 55c630 last night and would be interested in hearing any calibration thoughts/advice.
post #107 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Regrading the Netflix app.-
I called Samsung and they indicated that the update necessary for the Netflix application is not available on their servers yet. They indicated March 14th was when the first application update was made available and that there was no date for the next, which would presumably include Netflix.
post #108 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM

My 46C630 will be arriving on Friday. I'll be out of town Sat and Sun though Bad timing lol. But as soon as I get some time with it I'll post impressions and pics.
post #109 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Stopped by hhgregg this morning ready to take another look at the 55c630 and see if it was glossy or matte. I can confirm as a previous poster has also that there is no doubt the 55" is a glossy panel. They had c650 sitting next to it and i didnt see any difference between their panels. The 46" c630 was semi-matte. I just dont get it. I was very disappointed because i think they have really improved the looks of the 630.

So i walked around the store trying to talk myself into it anyway and came across a 55" 8000 series display model at a clearance price. A 52" sony xbr9 display model at a clearance price. I then saw the lg lh90 led model. Ive read very good reviews on it and the picture was phenomenal, even from the side. I was amazed how well it held its color when viewing from the extreme angle i was at. Im assuming it has to have the ips panel. It pretty much fit all my requirements including the matte screen. List price i think 2799.00. It was on sale for less but i told salesman i didnt intend on spending that much. He left and came back with the manager about 10 minutes later and after a little negotiation the manager agreed to sell it to me for close to 150 cheaper than amazon. Ended up being 1000 off list and they had one new in box. I paid for it but i was in my compact car so i didnt take delivery. Planned on going back in my truck to pick up tomorrow.

After i left there i stopped by best buy and they had the 2010 lg led. Im actually glad i didnt take delivery of the lh90 because the 2010 model is almost as thin as the samsung 8000 but it has a matte screen and doesnt have the silly looking blue tint arount the edges like the lh90. I'm trying to decide now what to do. Keep the lh90 led or get the 2010 lg led. Also the more i looked at the samsung 8000 the more i wanted it, even with the glossy screen.

Sorry for talking so much about lg in a samsung thread but if the 55c630 had the matte screen im certain i would have purchased it instead.
post #110 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Liked: 11
"I also picked up the 55c630 last night and would be interested in hearing any calibration thoughts/advice."

I'm a happy owner of an LN46B630, and have been reading your thread with interest. Have any of you tried the calibrations from last year's models? For instance, the following thread, B650 Calibration/Settings thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1143178

Personally, I'm using a "movie" calibration from douglashowitzer for a DVD player. You can also find this calibration on page 9 (pasted by beertha) of the Official Samsung LNXXB630 Owner's Thread. For TV I use a "standard" calibration by Jared1010 you can find on page 13 of the same thread. There are several other calibrations on the B630 thread as well. I'd be curious to know how well B630/50 calibrations work on the Cs. Anyway, these may be good places for you guys to start.
post #111 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 PM

There's a new software available tonight for the C650.....
Netflix app. now generates an activation code and works correctly. I didn't notice any other obvious changes.
post #112 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiner View Post

There's a new software available tonight for the C650.....
Netflix app. now generates an activation code and works correctly. I didn't notice any other obvious changes.

Good to know. Is Pandora working as well?
post #113 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

I'm a happy owner of an LN46B630, and have been reading your thread with interest. Have any of you tried the calibrations from last year's models?

Excellent idea. Official Samsung LNxxB610/LNxxB630 Calibration/Settings Thread = http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1226085

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

You can also find this calibration on page 9 (pasted by beertha) of the Official Samsung LNXXB630 Owner's Thread. For TV I use a "standard" calibration by Jared1010 you can find on page 13 of the same thread. There are several other calibrations on the B630 thread as well.

Beerth's settings: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16759878, Jared1010 on page 13 of same thread, etc.
post #114 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I bought a LN40C630 last night from Fry's. There was a competing Sony model right next to it with the same screen size and nearly identical features, for the same price. Honestly, I flipped a coin.

Got it home, set it up with my D* DVR, HDMI worked fine and it supports 1080p. Speakers in the TV are ok, not bad for built ins.

The frame is glossy and the panel is basically semi-matte. Cosmetically, it seems OK, not offensive, but I tend to prefer low gloss. The remote has a light almost cheapish feel to it. I like that it is back lit, but the buttons are a bit hard to hit carefully.

Power consumption on the back panel is listed at 190 watts, about 30-50 watts more than the more expensive LED models in the same size. Honestly, not worth the small cost increment for the power savings and I didn't need the ultimate thinness. They are very nice though and I was impressed by a Sharp model that was under $1000, but alas, they had no more.

Once setup, the picture is pretty good overall. The 120hz really does deal with the motion artifacts that have annoyed me on LCD. Contrast is good and the color temperature presets are reasonable.

Looks like the usual red-push over-sharp consumer tv thing is all there.

I'm not real impressed with the 120hz smoothing functions. It made watching some movie content weird and cartoonish. High speed sports looked great.

There's a bit of clayface and I can't quite get the overall color balance where I like it.

Contrast and black levels are very good for LCD. left-right color shift is minimal, but there's a bit of wash out at larger vertical angles.

I'm used to my 50" plasma (a nearly 6 year old Panasonic commercial display, 6UY series). It seems to render movie content much better with a more filmlike quality and the color is much better and truer (it was calibrated long ago but seems to be aging well).

All in all, I think I still like plasma better, but the LCD's have come a long way. I'll live with this one a while as a primary set due to some temporary living arrangement changes, maybe check in with my impressions over time.

nuke
post #115 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 PM

Nuke or alakaboo,

Can either of you settle the CR question for us regarding the 46" C630? What does the box or owners's manual state?

Thanks for all your other info!
post #116 of 6233 Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 PM

Does the 630/650 have front firing speakers?
post #117 of 6233 Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatNation View Post

turn the flash off - thus the importance of a steady hand, or better yet resting the camera on something (a tripod, a coffee table, a chair, etc)
post #118 of 6233 Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound12 View Post

Does the 630/650 have front firing speakers?

I guess I would describe them as down-firing. They're on the back of the unit, and from what I can tell, the 10w speakers face down.
post #119 of 6233 Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman1 View Post

Can either of you settle the CR question for us regarding the 46" C630? What does the box or owners's manual state?

Nothing in the manual... and nothing on the box. :-\\
post #120 of 6233 Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Crutchfield has the Samsung LN46C630

Dynamic CR at 120,000:1

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List