post #181 of 6233 Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerhino12 View Post

The sticker says SQ02.

That would mean you are the first on this board to get an 'S' panel with a 40" C630. Looks like there will be a mix of panels in the 40" lineup then.

My Setup:
Samsung LN46C630
Denon 790 AVR
Energy CF-30 Tower L/R Speakers
Energy CC-10 Center Channel Speaker
BIC PL-200 Subwoofer
Panasonic BD-60 Blu Ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6233 Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alakaboo View Post

In theory, this is possible with the AllShare function (accessible through the Media.P button or the Input Source menu), but the PC Share Manager (Samsung's DLNA server that you install on your PC) is a piece of garbage. I'm still fighting with it.

so why not try a different server? you don't have to use the one that sammy gave you, any DLNA-compliant server should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

Anyone have a weblink to a pdf of the user manual for the c630's? I'd like to read up on some stuff

we'll all have one... as soon as samsung adds the model to their website. grrrrr. until then, i don't believe that the manual is available.

maybe you'll get lucky and someone will scan it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko View Post

I suppose I'm glad I read all these posts about who makes what panel, but now I'm just ready to dump Samsung altogether. It seems that the 40c630 is an "A" panel, but do we know if the 40c650 will also be an "A" panel? If I understand correctly, only an "S" panel is truly made by Samsung. The "C" is junk, but the "A" is decent? I really can't go bigger than the 40 so I'm leaning toward a 37" LG if I don't think the "A" panel 40" is a quality tv. Any ideas?

somewhere in this thread, a few pages back, the consensus was that the A/C/S panel differences weren't extreme, and if there is an issue samsung will replace the unit. dumping this model b/c you might get an A panel is stupid. there have been only positive reviews of the 630's so far - regardless of panel. they all aren't S's.
post #183 of 6233 Old 03-20-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torres IX View Post

purplerhino12 how was the delivery of the TV with amazon, did you have white glove delivery with CEVA? The reason im asking is because i will be getting the LN40C630 delivered on Tuesday, im hoping they dont damaged the tv in transport.

Delivery with Ceva was great. They called me Thursday to schedule it, then 15 minutes before they called to confirm I was home. The TV was not damaged at all. I don't think the delivery was white glove though since Ceva did not unbox or set up the TV.
post #184 of 6233 Old 03-20-2010, 06:41 AM

A poster was discussing DLNA and streaming to the 630/650...
My Windows 7 machines all appear on the 650's menu and streaming works well (tried som music and photos last night). You have to enable network sharing and give permission for devices to access content.

A correction on the signal strength meter function- it reports signal to noise ratio, not carrier to noise. It's under help/self dignostic/signal information.

Regarding picture settings in the media play mode- it appears the media menu/selection screens themselves can't be adjusted, and don't seem to follow the settings of the other inputs (there's a distinct change in settings when switching to/from the media menu). When streaming (Netflix), the picture adjustments are accessed through the "tools" button and a limited but reasonable selection of adjustments are available (brightness, contrast, preset modes, motion controls, etc.). Streaming halts while adjustments are made.
post #185 of 6233 Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 AM

Liked: 12
does anyone have opinions on how the c630/c650's compare to the b750?
post #186 of 6233 Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post

so why not try a different server? you don't have to use the one that sammy gave you, any DLNA-compliant server should work.

Absolutely. I'm currently evaluating DLNA server software options for my Mac mini HTPC (which can't drive 1080p itself, but maybe it can feed the TV).

EDIT: Sorry. It can drive 1080p, I did get that worked out, but 1080p content is too much for the hardware.
post #187 of 6233 Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM

I saw the LN40C650 at sears, then I went to BB and saw the c630. I have to say I think I like the UCP of the c650 more. Just wish that I could have seen them side by side.
post #188 of 6233 Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeronetFi View Post

I saw the LN40C650 at sears, then I went to BB and saw the c630. I have to say I think I like the UCP of the c650 more. Just wish that I could have seen them side by side.

The 650 will most definitely have more pop to the colors, but it's very reflective. I have tons of windows in my living room, 630 is perfect for me.
post #189 of 6233 Old 03-21-2010, 11:45 AM

I just bought a LN32C650. I like it a lot so far. I have a few questions, though.

Should it be receiving a 120Hz signal? The fastest it's showed in the info box has been 60Hz. I have it hooked up to an HD cable box, and a BD-C6500 Blu-Ray player. I haven't used my X-Box 360 on it yet. I'm not too well versed in all the tech. Does having 120Hz just make a 60Hz signal better, or do I need a 120Hz signal?

Also, I'm going to test out my 360, and was wondering the best settings to use. Should I use Game Mode? I've heard that gives it less lag, but how much does it effect the picture? Anyone know what the lag is like on the 32C650?

On a side note, I think the 32 inch C650 has the screen finish of the C630. It's not super glossy. It's more of a semi matte finish to it. It's also still got the little hump on the bottom, like the B650s. From all the pictures I've seen, the larger screens are pretty much straight on the bottom.

EDIT: I'm wrong about the hump. The other models do have it. It's just smaller and not as red as the B650s. I just haven't seen a picture of my model anywhere, so I couldn't compare.
post #190 of 6233 Old 03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Stuff I don't like:

LN40C630

1. Magically put itself into Store Demo Mode.
2. Edge enhancement makes hair look really weird.
3. The 120hz motion enhancement is generally distracting.
4. Overly contrasty.
5. No signal meter for OTA antenna pointing.
6. Film HD content loses the grainy quality that comes through on my plasma nicely. Everything looks over-sharp and "video-like" on the LCD.
7. Remote is flimsy.
8. Front panel control difficult to find in the dark. (see #1, required to get out of Store Demo Mode)

Stuff I do like:

1. Works great in a brightly lit room.
2. OTA tuner is very sensitive and locks in weak signals easily.
3. Speakers aren't great, but not bad for built ins.
4. Light weight and easy to set up and move by myself.
5. Doesn't burn a lot of power or generate a lot of heat.

nuke
post #191 of 6233 Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 PM

First of all, let me say that the most important thing to me is picture quality. I don't care about internet connect, widgets, piglets, or most anything else. I purchased the 46c650 at Fry's last Sunday (not because I wanted to buy there, but they were the only one's who had it in stock). I went with the intent to buy the 630 but came home with the 650. I'm not a video expert, but after comparison, I have determined the UCP is worth the extra dollars to me. Two advantages that were well worth it: more "pop" to the picture and much better off angle viewing. The 630 loses the picture almost immediately. As far as glare is concerned, not a problem in my situation. BTW, I know I can't say the price I paid, but it was a "sale" price and only $169.00 more than the 630. Well worth it in my opinion.
post #192 of 6233 Old 03-21-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloviater View Post

Two advantages that were well worth it: more "pop" to the picture and much better off angle viewing. The 630 loses the picture almost immediately.

That's a really interesting point. I was just at my brother's place and noticing how the color doesn't wash out on his LCD (his is an older 52" Samsung with a UCP panel). My LN40C630 looks awful past 30 degrees or so. Blacks start glowing bright blue and the picture is just a mess. Anyone else with a C630 have a similar experience with viewing angles? I'm not completely sold on the C630.
post #193 of 6233 Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloviater View Post

First of all, let me say that the most important thing to me is picture quality. I don't care about internet connect, widgets, piglets, or most anything else. I purchased the 46c650 at Fry's last Sunday (not because I wanted to buy there, but they were the only one's who had it in stock). I went with the intent to buy the 630 but came home with the 650. I'm not a video expert, but after comparison, I have determined the UCP is worth the extra dollars to me. Two advantages that were well worth it: more "pop" to the picture and much better off angle viewing.

I agree. I really, really like my 46c650 I've had for almost two weeks. The UCP is worth the extra $$.

Samsung UN60H7150
Samsung LN46C650
Samsung LN40D630
Toshiba 65HM167
post #194 of 6233 Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

That's a really interesting point. I was just at my brother's place and noticing how the color doesn't wash out on his LCD (his is an older 52" Samsung with a UCP panel). My LN40C630 looks awful past 30 degrees or so. Blacks start glowing bright blue and the picture is just a mess. Anyone else with a C630 have a similar experience with viewing angles? I'm not completely sold on the C630.

Seems to be the same game like last year: there were sets with bad viewing angle too. More absurd on the B650 was the issue that the right side washed out much worse then the left side by viewing offangle despite UCP
post #195 of 6233 Old 03-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shome View Post

I agree. I really, really like my 46c650 I've had for almost two weeks. The UCP is worth the extra $$.

Not for me, I spent the extra $$ with bluray player, beer and lots of popcorn, can't tell the difference from 6 to 8 feet, and glare of course deal breaker for me...just 0.2 cents.
post #196 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 AM

Are all you owners finding AMP causing much more artifacts than previous year models? It seems the custom setting really messing things up so that I seem unusable. I'd really like to hear your feedback and comments on AMP on this years Cxx630/650 series.
post #197 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiner View Post

Regarding picture settings in the media play mode- it appears the media menu/selection screens themselves can't be adjusted, and don't seem to follow the settings of the other inputs (there's a distinct change in settings when switching to/from the media menu). When streaming (Netflix), the picture adjustments are accessed through the "tools" button and a limited but reasonable selection of adjustments are available (brightness, contrast, preset modes, motion controls, etc.). Streaming halts while adjustments are made.

So it's confirmed that the "picture settings" controls in the C650 are limited when you use the media play function of the tv (the manual is wrong because it doesn't specify this and it says that you have picture controls like in page 16,17,18,19 but you don't have them all )
.Can please someone test what are mode1/mode2/original in the picture size options of the media play?

many thanks
post #198 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvideo View Post

Are all you owners finding AMP causing much more artifacts than previous year models? It seems the custom setting really messing things up so that I seem unusable. I'd really like to hear your feedback and comments on AMP on this years Cxx630/650 series.

I noticed when setting the AMP to Standard or Smooth that there was a lot more pixelation and artifacting than when I set it the same on last years b series. On the clear setting, however, the artifacting and pixelation disappears. I found that to be the perfect setting that still gives you the benefit while avoiding the kind of distracting artifacting that seems to have worsened this year. Last years' standard setting wasnt so bad.

My Setup:
Samsung LN46C630
Denon 790 AVR
Energy CF-30 Tower L/R Speakers
Energy CC-10 Center Channel Speaker
BIC PL-200 Subwoofer
Panasonic BD-60 Blu Ray Player
post #199 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvideo View Post

It's a mixed bag for me. With any level of AMP (say, anti-blur 3, de-judder 0 on custom) I see a stutter or irregularity in the video cadence when watching the network evening news (all networks, off-air, very good signal) or if I check the evening dramas. The basketball playoffs, however, showed no such symptoms.
Netflix streaming showed no symptoms when I purposely activated AMP for an old film based TV series. DVD sources are mixed; The Magnificent Seven and an episode of Mission: Impossible exhibited no stutter with AMP controls on. However, an episode of the Hercules television series exhibited the stutter frequently. I'm guessing that the AMP processing may be behaving differently based on the DVD material, depending on how it's authored. My guess was M:I and Mag. 7 were properly encoded/authored as film sources and perhaps the Hercules series wasn't, or the field order is wrong, or something similar that doesn't manifest itself in normal sequential field scaling/playback.
Of note, A/V synchronization starts to slip considerably as the AMP processing is increased (as you would expect). I haven't set the AMP features at a high enough level to warrant changing the delay setting on my amplifier yet.
post #200 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post

Stuff I don't like:

LN40C630

/SNIP/

2. Edge enhancement makes hair look really weird.
5. No signal meter for OTA antenna pointing.

/SNIP/

I couldn't detect any ringing in multiburst patterns when the edge enhancement was on, but I disabled it anyway.
Not sure about the 630, but there's a meter in the help>diagnosis menu on the 650. It displays modulation type, and has a graphic/numeric representation of SS.
post #201 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 AM

Here's my initial impressions and story of the LN46C630 I got on 3/19/10.

Have a HTPC with a 7300GS with sound going through a Kenwood reciever and was running video out of the video card via S-Video to a Sony 27" CRT set. Two PVR-150 tuners running Comcast cable, E6550 cpu, 2gb RAM, and Win7 Ultimate round out the system. Basic SD goodness.

My wife and I finally negotiated a deal so I could upgrade about 2 weeks ago (she's getting an iPhone). She would have been happy with a 24" LCD joking that it would be faster to knit a cozy to put over it - but I was looking at 46-47" models and cozys were definitely not a part of the program! With very little knowledge about LCD's I started looking and was drawn to a 2009 LN46B650 at Fry's running Quantum of Solace off of a Blu-ray in the audio area where the lighting was dim. The B650 in the TV area running their standard video loop also looked better than the other products adjacent, including the 2009 Samsung LED models. They had a 2010 7000 series on another aisle so it was difficult to directly compare, but to my eye the B650 still looked better.

I've done some research here and elsewhere and ended up a bit overwhelmed with the specs, model numbers, and 2009 vs. 2010 products. I decided to not get wrapped up in the specs and just go look at sets and buy what I thought looked good. My budget was around $1000, but I knew I could justify $1200 if the quality was there. I spent Friday afternoon at Costco, BB (actually great to look at Samsung products, they had about 12 46" models on display), Walmart, Sears, and finally Video Only (a west coast chain). Here's what I came away with - 1) the 2009 B650 and B750 sets all looked great but all that was left were floor models without remotes or stands at $1200+, or new in box for $1600+; 2) the 2010 LED models tended to look 95% as good but were $1400 and up; 3) LED didn't seem to add much value for the price premium, I would have paid $100 more for 240hz if I could have found something in my range, and the 3D demo at BB wasn't living up to 3D in the theater (not that I could afford it anyway); 4) the C630 looked 95% as good and was $999 at Video Only with a 2nd year warranty included.

As it was Video Only was my last stop, they had 46" B650, C630, and U7000 next to each other on the wall. I told the sales guy straight up that he was competing with major online e-tailers for my business, so he looked on his phone quickly and said he could go $950 with the 2nd year warranty included. This worked out to $1045 including WA sales tax, so I got it.

I agree that the semi-matte finish works great in rooms with glare issues. The TV is about 8 feet from our eyeballs and anywhere on the sofa gives a clean picture. I hooked up the set via a DVI-HDMI cable. The picture seems great to me. Running SD content seemed acceptable for what it is (with some artifacts around titles), 720p content is great and 1080p even better. We signed up for Netflix to get Blu-ray discs, we tried the streaming stuff and it looks DVDish. I'm not going to nit-pick my set, but a cursory look reveals no odd lighting and it seems uniformly black with no imbalance or bright spots.

I did have some issues with playing Office Space off of DVD, some laggy parts where there was motion in the picture. I replaced the 7300GS with a 7900GT that I have and this seems to have gone away being a matter of pushing enough bandwidth to the set.

My HTPC has a Blu-ray player in it already but unfortunately I learned Saturday that my video card is not HDCP compliant after buying PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D (I know I can't use the 3D part) for $99. I'll order a new video card today, probably a 5750 or 5770 to rectify this. I also have an HD tuner card already on the way, a HVR-2250.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the set and that I was able to get this quality.My wife, a long-time TV hater, has even been showing signs of being won over to HD!

p.s. Almost forgot, we are using standard settings and have definitely found that switching between the standard, natural, and movie modes can help out the content we have. But some of this may also be us getting used to HD. We have a Spyder2 color calibration tool and will run it after the new video card arrives.
post #202 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the review, Homerr!

Please let us know your settings when you calibrate your TV!
post #203 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Homerr, Excellent impression/review of the ln46c630
post #204 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 PM

I'm picking up the LN46C630 tonight from bestbuy. Has any one had success mounting this TV to a wall? I read somewhere the power cord is unusually large and causes problems when mounting.

Any truth to this?
post #205 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vttait23 View Post

I'm picking up the LN46C630 tonight from bestbuy. Has any one had success mounting this TV to a wall? I read somewhere the power cord is unusually large and causes problems when mounting.

Any truth to this?

I'll let you know tomorrow, as I plan to mount my 46C650 using a monoprice tilt mount. I imagine the rear configuration is the same between the sets.
post #206 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM

Anyone set one of these up with a Harmony remote; I tried doing my 40C650 last night, found no matches, and forgot how painful it can be to set a remote up from scratch.
post #207 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 PM

Just for reference, my LN46C630 is a SQ01.
post #208 of 6233 Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz64 View Post

I'll let you know tomorrow, as I plan to mount my 46C650 using a monoprice tilt mount. I imagine the rear configuration is the same between the sets.

Looking forward to the update as I too have a monoprice tilt mount I plan on mounting this weekend.
post #209 of 6233 Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 AM

I have been looking around at Costco in the past week and had my eye on the Toshiba 46ZV650 but have been stalling because of the reported audio distortion and the glossy display. I stopped by a local BestBuy to see if they had anything different in the 46 - 47 inch range (non-LED) and of the two Samsungs I liked one was the C630 and the other was the 530(not such if it was C or B but it was 60Hz.) I was looking for a display that had 120Hz and was in my budget of $1200. I think it was over 1k last week and I told my sons that I'll check their sale prices on Sunday and sure enough it was in their weekly flyer. Now I'm back out to BB to take another look.

The one thing I like about Costco is that they add a second year to the man. warranty and at BB it's at least 2 bills to get a couple of year coverage. Over on Amazon they will sell you a 3 yr Samsung warranty for around 80 bucks. Does anyone know if you can buy an extended warranty thru Amazon without buying the TV from them? Does Samsung sell extended warranties direct from their site?
post #210 of 6233 Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 AM

CompUSA has a product sheet from Samsung for the C630. Unfortunately, I can not post the link, 'cause this is my first post (Hi Everyone!). I don't think it says anything that we haven't already worked out, but if you find something, let me know.

Also, what is "Allshare"? Has anyone tried using this? What does it do?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page