Official Samsung LED UNXXC6300, UNXXC6400 & UNXXC6500 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4075 Old 03-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ken - what lcd models (or panels) have the best off angle viewing? I just did the math, at 14', 20 degrees gives you about 5' either side of the sweet spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4075 Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Any other PS3 or Xbox users out there? Someone posted that lag is fine at 30ms, but now I am reading about audio sync issues. Do games/dvd/blu ray have audio sync issues? Thanks.
post #93 of 4075 Old 03-25-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post

Ken - what lcd models (or panels) have the best off angle viewing? I just did the math, at 14', 20 degrees gives you about 5' either side of the sweet spot.

Actually I will revise my statement to a max of 15 degrees. My wife & I sit pretty much center of the sweet spot in our HT room. Each of us sits less than 5 degrees off center of the TV at about 12 ft. back. (The up-side to this is we sit pretty much in the sweet spot; the down-side is that we're only about 2 ft. from one another..).
Anyway, Samsung has been using (3) panel versions (S, A & C). At least they were last year. This year so far I've only heard of & seen the "S" version & "C" version. S is a true Samsung panel. It is not farmed/contracted out like the C & A. The "S" version exhibits the best off-angle viewing between the two. Although practically all reviews I have read of the 2009's & the few 2010 Samsungs reviewed so far all have mentioned off-angle viewing as the primary weakness in LCD's. I do believe this is inherent in LCD's whether they be LED back/side lit or just plain LCD's. This is why there are still many die-hard Plasma fans, since off-angle viewing is not an issue with Plasma.
As I said on page 1 of this thread, I will always opt for a unit with a "S" panel over a "C" panel any day, flashlighting or not. Hope this helps.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #94 of 4075 Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an added note to my post above; as I said in a post on page 1, if you are buying from a local retailer, just make sure the sales rep lets you see the s/n & version # which is on the outside of the box. (You don't even have to open the box). The version # will tell you which panel the unit has.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #95 of 4075 Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

Yes...I would say that the blacks are an improvement over the B650. I am also finding no flashlighting (back-light bleeding) whatsoever. This is one advantage I've found with the "C" panels and that is you get minimal (if any) flashlighting. So you get no bleeding, but terrible off-angle viewing. With "S" panels, there seems to be more flashlighting, but better off-angle viewing. So choose your poison!

Thanks for the great info Ken. I'm off to look at different sets and will look for the differences you pointed out between the S and C panel sets.

If the off angle viewing with the C panels is around 15-20 degrees, do you have any guesses for the off angle viewing with the S panels?
post #96 of 4075 Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperman999 View Post

That's a downer. I was looking forward to getting this TV. Does help turning down the backlit and would it affect overal pq?

Haven't bothered trying because the effect isn't a big deal to me. Like I said, it can only be seen during very unusual content, and only if I'm looking at the lower corners of the screen. If I'm enjoying the actual content on the screen, I'm not staring at the extreme corners.

Everything in life is a trade off - nothing is perfect. The colors, clarity, dark levels and details of the screen far outweigh a minor effect that essentially never happens. Of course, YMMV.
post #97 of 4075 Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 AM

Picked up a UN46C6400 at Costco last night. It has flashlighting in both lower corners and a rather large cloud on the left side. Very dissapointing and unacceptable since this is in the bedroom with primarily dark room viewing. I tweaked for a few hours with no luck eliminating either. I will likely try one more unit before throwing in the towel. I will have to check tonight to see the panel version.

On the plus side, the picture is absolutely phenomenal!
post #98 of 4075 Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Like the un46c6300 but now thinking about the LG 47le5500 which has local dimming. Both around the same price.
post #99 of 4075 Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post

Thanks for the great info Ken. I'm off to look at different sets and will look for the differences you pointed out between the S and C panel sets.

If the off angle viewing with the C panels is around 15-20 degrees, do you have any guesses for the off angle viewing with the S panels?

I believe there will always be a slight amount of off-angle wash-out with any LCD panel, but I can tell you this. I have seen several Samsung units (with S panels) in the stores & at a friend's house that exhibited no wash-out until 70-75 degrees from center. That's pretty amazing...

Ken

post #100 of 4075 Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboVR4 View Post

Picked up a UN46C6400 at Costco last night. It has flashlighting in both lower corners and a rather large cloud on the left side. Very dissapointing and unacceptable since this is in the bedroom with primarily dark room viewing. I tweaked for a few hours with no luck eliminating either. I will likely try one more unit before throwing in the towel. I will have to check tonight to see the panel version.

My guess is that you'll find it to be a "S" panel.

Ken

post #101 of 4075 Old 03-27-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From everything I'm reading from other users who have either purchased or seen either a 6400 or 6500 unit, they all appear to be equipped with the "S" panel. Only the 6300 (so far) have the mis-fortune of having a "C" panel.

Ken

post #102 of 4075 Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 PM

So what is the deal with the "C" panel, I have read the post, but is the only bad part the viewing angle issue or is it truly an inferior panel to an "S" ??
post #103 of 4075 Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumnut View Post

So what is the deal with the "C" panel, I have read the post, but is the only bad part the viewing angle issue or is it truly an inferior panel to an "S" ??

It is inferior in the sense that it has extremely poor off-angle viewing. As I mentioned before though, they (C's) tend to be better at non back-light bleeding or more commonly known as flashlighting/clouding. So it is a trade-off. If you are always sitting in the 'sweet' spot, which is dead-center of the set, then the off-angle viewing anomoly won't be a big deal, unless of course you have company over & they are sitting to either side of the unit; then they will experience the wash-out.
C & A panels are not made by Samsung. The C's are made by Chi Mei Corporation, the A's are made by AU Optronics & the S panel is made by Samsung.
Bottom line...if the viewing angle is not an issue with you, the C panel may be better at not exhibiting the flashlighting. Could be a tough choice..

Ken

post #104 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just checking to see if you looked at the panel version?

Ken

post #105 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straca View Post

My local Costco now has the 55" 6400 in stock, too. But $2.5K? I'll pass.

Considering that BB has the 6300 for 10% less and the 6500 for $20 more, Costco needs to adjust the price. Probably coupon book item next time around.

I noticed the same thing! I went to my local Costco and Bestbuy where the price difference between the 55" 6500 at BB ($2519) and the 6400 at Costco ($2499) doesn't seem right! I would have expected Costco's price to be lower in comparison to BB's?!
post #106 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

So is the off angle viewing really that bad on these (or any LCD) compared to Plasma!?

I currently have a 50" Samsung plasma and Im going to be buying a larger TV soon. I have been toying with the idea of switching to LCD but all this talk of bad off angle viewing is making me think twice?

Also does the TV stand on the 6300/6400/6500 swivel?

Thanks
post #107 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a 55" flatscreen, and I found this forum during may last 3 days of intenet research. [First post, wish me luck... =)]

I think the 55" 6300 looked great in person today at Fry's, but I would like the Internet options on the 6500, but hate, hate, hate the 4-pronged birds feet clawed stand on the 6500, so I can't get that model. So, if anyone knows, two questions:

1) Can the stand from the 6300 set be bought separately, and (2) will it fit the 6500?

I was all set on the 6300 until I read that it doesn't come with any of the Samsung internet apps.
post #108 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks a lot for this post. I was looking for some information about these models and finnally I found all your valuable opinions.

I would like to ask you the following questions:

1.- Is the speakers sound as bad as the 2009 models or there is a significant improvement?

2.- Another option that I am considering is the Sony EX700 series, however I think that these Samsung models provide better quality images. Is it true?

3.- Do you know any site with a review for any of these models?

Thanks again.
post #109 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I checked and the panel was a SQ01 on the 46". I finally couldn't take the horrible clouding / flashlighting and decided the 46" was a bit too big for the bedroom so I exchanged it at Costco for the UN40C6400. Well guess what? Clouding and flashlighting is even worse on the 40" and it is a SQ01 panel as well.

The clouding was in a very distinct pattern on the left side and I have read some folks say that sometimes the back panel screws are on to tight, etc. which tweaks the panel causing the clouding. So I took off the back panel and come to find out, on the left side, (right side from the rear) mounted directly to to the panel is the motherboard with 6 screws that exactly matched the area of horrible clouds I was seeing in dark pictures. The screws were extremely tight and I loosened them and unbelievably all the clouding dissappeared. Amazing!

The 'flashlighting' in both lower corners is still there however and extremely annoying, especially watching a letterboxed movie. I doubt I will keep this unit as a result since this TV is primarily watched at night.
post #110 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:

I checked and the panel was a SQ01 on the 46". I finally couldn't take the horrible clouding / flashlighting and decided the 46" was a bit too big for the bedroom so I exchanged it at Costco for the UN40C6400. Well guess what? Clouding and flashlighting is even worse on the 40" and it is a SQ01 panel as well.

The clouding was in a very distinct pattern on the left side and I have read some folks say that sometimes the back panel screws are on to tight, etc. which tweaks the panel causing the clouding. So I took off the back panel and come to find out, on the left side, (right side from the rear) mounted directly to to the panel is the motherboard with 6 screws that exactly matched the area of horrible clouds I was seeing in dark pictures. The screws were extremely tight and I loosened them and unbelievably all the clouding dissappeared. Amazing!

The 'flashlighting' in both lower corners is still there however and extremely annoying, especially watching a letterboxed movie. I doubt I will keep this unit as a result since this TV is primarily watched at night.

Did you try loosening the screws in the lower corners when you had the back panel off? I have read that loosening or tightening them may (or may not) have an effect on flashlighting.

Also how difficult was it to open up the TV, do you just undo the screws on the back?
post #111 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbackner View Post

Did you try loosening the screws in the lower corners when you had the back panel off? I have read that loosening or tightening them may (or may not) have an effect on flashlighting.

Also how difficult was it to open up the TV, do you just undo the screws on the back?

Once I got the back panel off there were no additional screws in the corners that could be tweaked in hopes of addressing the flashlighting. Removal of the rear panel is a cinch after you take out about 20 screws. I actually ran the TV all weekend with the panel off after I loosened the Motherboard screws. This thing puts off absolutely no heat or noise.
post #112 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

So is the off angle viewing really that bad on these (or any LCD) compared to Plasma!?

I currently have a 50" Samsung plasma and Im going to be buying a larger TV soon. I have been toying with the idea of switching to LCD but all this talk of bad off angle viewing is making me think twice?

Also does the TV stand on the 6300/6400/6500 swivel?

Thanks

The off-angle viewing with a "C" panel is poor. If you're lucky enough to find a unit with a "S" panel, you'll be much happier. Fortunately all the 6500's I've read about so far are equipped with "S" panels. This is one area where Plasma has LCD beat & that's with off-angle viewing; with plasma, it's not an issue.
The stand/bezel on the 6300 does swivel and I believe the crows-foot design of the 6500 does as well. As to the 6400, it is what Samsung is calling a "warehouse club exclusive" & not available in the regular retail channels. So it's unlikely you'll find one.

Ken

post #113 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjescudero View Post

Thanks a lot for this post. I was looking for some information about these models and finnally I found all your valuable opinions.

I would like to ask you the following questions:

1.- Is the speakers sound as bad as the 2009 models or there is a significant improvement?

2.- Another option that I am considering is the Sony EX700 series, however I think that these Samsung models provide better quality images. Is it true?

3.- Do you know any site with a review for any of these models?

Thanks again.

As to reviews, I've found no official reviews on the 6 series Samsungs; just overviews/specs. Sorry, can't help with #1 since I'm running throught an A/V processor.

Ken

post #114 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumnut View Post

i have a 6300 and the picture is great, but what do you mean off angle viewing?

and i also had the 55LE5400, but i didn't like the screen on it so i return it and bought 6300.
post #115 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:

The bezel from the 6300 will not work/fit on the 6500. To my knowledge, your only option would be wall or stand mount.
And please let me caution you if you even consider changing your mind about the 6300. I have yet to read about or see a 6300 with anything other than a "C" panel & I would highly recommend avoiding it for that reason. You will not be happy with it's poor off-angle viewing. Just to make certain, verify with the dealer you're working with that the 6500 is mountable (which I'm sure it is) & then choose it.

Ken

Ken-

Thanks so much for the quick response. Can you tell me if the 6400's have the same C panel vs. S panel issue that you say exists on the 6300s and is corrected on the 6500s; i.e., does the 6400 have a 'C' (bad) or 'S' (good) panel? I believe I can find a UN55C6400, which has the Internet TV features that the 6300 does not, and also has the square stand with round column base that I liked on the 6300. I'm now hoping it also has the improvement to the off-angle viewing issue; a 'C' panel. If so, I'm set.
post #116 of 4075 Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Got this TV recently and it's amazing. I have a small problem maybe some of you know how to fix. When I play 1080/720p mkv movies from my PC to the TV it jitters every 5 seconds. This happens ONLY if I use Standard or Smooth Auto Motion Plus settings. I really want to leave this on because it's silky smooth and breathtaking!

Yes, on the Clear setting it's fine. Just looks like a normal 60hz LCD.
post #117 of 4075 Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:

As to reviews, I've found no official reviews on the 6 series Samsungs; just overviews/specs. Sorry, can't help with #1 since I'm running throught an A/V processor.

Ken

Thanks for your response. I am going to do the same, by using an A/V processor for high quality contents. However, I would like to know if the sound of the speakers is clear enough for watching, for example, the news (I don't want to use the A/V for simple broadcast content).
post #118 of 4075 Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 AM

To the new owners: Do you have much clouding?
This seems to be a huge problem at the C7000, but I don't hear this from C6XXX owners.
post #119 of 4075 Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 AM

Not at the present, I have the C6300 and see no clouding in my set. I'll try to take pics later. If I didn't know about the flashlight issue from this site I would not even know of the issue.

p.s. If I had the money, I would have gotten the C7000 or C8000. I could have purchased the C6500, but didn't the Internet apps.

I have a C panel too
post #120 of 4075 Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 AM

To any 55" 6400 owners: What panel do you have?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55c6300 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln55b650 , Samsung Un40c6500 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn63c7000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn50c8000 50 In 3d Hdtv Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page