PS3 not ouputting audio correctly over HDMI. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new TV (Sony KDL-EX500) and am having a peculiar problem with the audio over HDMI. I have my cable box, Xbox 360, and PS3 all connected to the TV over HDMI. I then have an optical audio cable connected from the TV's digital audio out port to my reciever. The Cable box works fine and in 5.1, as does the Xbox 360 when playing either games or movies. The PS3, however, refuses to cooperate. Games are being played in 5.1 audio, but any movie I try (I have tried several) will not be in 5.1. They seem to be sending a dolby surround, or maybe 2.1 signal. I have tried every audio setting on the PS3 I can find, and no change. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Sorry to say, but I think it's standard that ALL TVs output 2.1 over their optical audio out port unless they're outputting from OTA HDTV.

It's not a fault of the PS3 or anything... and, for sure, you're not getting 5.1 out from your TV through your 360's HDMI, it's just not possible.

You'll only get 5.1 from your PS3 or 360 if you use their optical out directly into your AV receiver.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Sorry to say, but I think it's standard that ALL TVs output 2.1 over their optical audio out port unless they're outputting from OTA HDTV.

It's not a fault of the PS3 or anything... and, for sure, you're not getting 5.1 out from your TV through your 360's HDMI, it's just not possible.

You'll only get 5.1 from your PS3 or 360 if you use their optical out directly into your AV receiver.

That's not true, because the 5.1 multi-channel decoding blue bar on my reciever lights up with both the cable box and X360 (not to mention the sound is noticably better) and PS3 games, just not on DVD's on the PS3. It's an odd quark.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-15-2010, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
you are right, some tv's will send 5.1 out to the optical port, my tv does as well.

i would think you have the wrong audio settings in the ps3. go to the audio settings, and hit manual, not auto. make sure you only select pcm 2 channel, dolby digital 5.1 and dts 5.1 (if your receiver can accept DTS that is). it sounds like the ps3 is outputting a format your receiver can't decode, and it's defaulting to 2 channel. also keep in mind, you can only send those 3 formats over optical.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

you are right, some tv's will send 5.1 out to the optical port, my tv does as well.

i would think you have the wrong audio settings in the ps3. go to the audio settings, and hit manual, not auto. make sure you only select pcm 2 channel, dolby digital 5.1 and dts 5.1 (if your receiver can accept DTS that is). it sounds like the ps3 is outputting a format your receiver can't decode, and it's defaulting to 2 channel. also keep in mind, you can only send those 3 formats over optical.

Yeah I've tried manual and tried almost every combination there is with the 20 or so choices. Still nothing. It's just wierd because games decode 5.1 correctly, it is just movies that don't. Odd indeed... I take it then that you do not have the same problem I am having? That gives me hope that there is just some user error here and that I can figure it out.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

I just tried streaming a .avi of Weird Science I have that contains 5.1 audio, and that played correctly with full 5.1 support. So it comes down to only DVD's and Blurays that don't work correctly.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
are you outputting PCM or bitstream? you should select bitstream.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

are you outputting PCM or bitstream? you should select bitstream.

Ha, that was it. I knew seen that option before, but for the life of me I could not find it again in any of the AUDIO setting categories. OF COURSE it would be under video settings... of course... So intuitive. Thank you Sony.

Thanks for your help.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 AM

how did you make your xbox output 5.1? Mine always outputs 2.0 from the tv's optical. but my ps3 and cablebox are fine
post #10 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggant View Post

how did you make your xbox output 5.1? Mine always outputs 2.0 from the tv's optical. but my ps3 and cablebox are fine

That is strange. Frankly, I didn't do anything. In the menu there is an option called "Display Discovery", which for me was turned on. With that, it automatically sets both the video and audio settings. If that is off for you, turn it on. If it is on, try turning it off and manually set it to "Dolby Digital" instead of "Stereo". Let me know how that goes.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page