AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung LNxxC530, LNxxC550 Owners Thread

111K views 258 replies 116 participants last post by  Geezer 
#1 ·
It was a toss up between this and the Sony KDL40EX400, but the LN40C550 won out. I have never owned an HDTV before, but I am more than satisfied wiwth the picture quality and stand stability.

I like that the remote has CC (Closed Captioning) on it, not buried deep in a menu, but the PIP function still is buried. Sometimes the remote double-taps when I'm changing channels by typing in a number, but I haven't used it enough to rule out that I'm just using it wrong.

The LN40C550 has a network jack! Anyone know how I can use it for something? I downloaded the My PC Manager from Samsung, but nothing shows up. Advice?

-KP

#2 ·
It's PC Share Manager, not My PC Manager. I messed up the name of the DLNA software from Samsung that you're supposed to install. Still can't get it working tho.

The goal: stream movies from my computer over the network cable. TV -> Linksys switch -> my computer.

I tried searching for this in the forums already but came up empty. Anyone streaming from their computer? How?

#3 ·
Hey, glad to see someone made this thread. I just got the LNC550 myself and I've been really happy with it so far. I can't help you with your problem, I haven't tried hooking up my TV to my network yet.

Have you messed with your picture settings at all? I've tinkered with mine but still haven't landed on anything I really want to use permanently.

#4 ·
I must say this is amazing, I bought it yesterday and can't say anything bad about it yet.

I've only used the internet to check for updates, so don't know how to stream movies yet from pc.

I'm still looking for a good bluray to optimize the video settings, unfortunately it's hard to find one here in Mexico.

#5 ·
I think the picture is great! The only modification I did was to turn off the Eco Solution and put the backlight at 20 (maximum). I like to be blown away.

The sound is pretty hard to get used to. It's difficult to pick a mode that is compatible with different parts of some shows - sometimes Music, sometimes Voice. But I don't have a receiver - just the TV - so I can't really complain.

I am happy with this TV, but it's a pain in the butt moving H.264 files over via USB drive. Need streaming!

#6 ·
So I got the Allshare to work! I now stream from my computer, over a Linksys switch, into the LN40C550 ethernet jack. Here's how I did it, in case you want to do the same:

1. Go to Samsung.com -> LCD TV -> LN40C650 (because they don't yet have the LN40C550 model listed) -> Downloads tab and click the Software link.

2. Click the PC Share Manager link to download.

3. Install PC Share Manager.

4. Start a PC Share Manager server.

5. Connect the TV to your router (mine is Linksys WRT54G).

6. Drag a folder containing some content onto the Shared Folder pane (a LOST episode encoded in H.264).

7. Under the TV setup, go to Network and do a Network test. If it passes, continue.

8. In Samsung PC Share Manager, go to the Share menu and select Device Policy. Here is where I noticed that my TV was set to "Denied" by default.

9. Click the Accept button to allow your TV to talk to the server software.

10. Close that menu, and again click the Share menu and select Refresh DB. When I do that, the TV notices and asks prompts m to go view the new content using a little popup in the bottom left of the TV.

11. Selecting this link or pushing the MEDIA P. button on the remote and then selecting Video takes me to the list that contains my LOST episode.
So that was it for me. Now I can watch HD content on my TV even tho it is stored on the computer. Is anyone else using this or encountering any difficulty? I would be happy to help!

#7 ·
Wouldn't it be possible to use ps3 media server instead? And will it read all .mkv and divx files? And what about subtitles?

And can anyone post some pics of the design of the tv?

Oh and did you compare it to the c630/c650, if so how did it hold up and what made you decide to go for the c550?

#8 ·
I think you could use a PS3 as the media server, if it supports DLNA. Try the steps above and see if the TV recognizes the PS3 as an All-Share server.

My X-Box runs an old version of XBMC and doesn't support .mkv files, for example. But I wouldn't want to connect it to the TV anyway. If I want to watch something, I would need to transfer it to the X-Box first, then switch over to All Share and queue it up. PITA. If you take your own home movies and archive them on your computer tho, I like being able to play them without transferring them somewhere else first. Mkv and divx do work from the PC Share Manager server tho.

I will have to try subtitles and get back to you tho. That will be interesting.

#9 ·
I returned my 2nd LN46C530 today. Both had horrible audio issues. The sound would drop out for about 1/4 second and it would do it about 5-20 times per minute. It only happened through HDMI and I know it's not my PS3 & 360 because I tested them out on my LG LCD and didn't have the problem.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakapu /forum/post/18408323

I think you could use a PS3 as the media server, if it supports DLNA. Try the steps above and see if the TV recognizes the PS3 as an All-Share server.

My X-Box runs an old version of XBMC and doesn't support .mkv files, for example. But I wouldn't want to connect it to the TV anyway. If I want to watch something, I would need to transfer it to the X-Box first, then switch over to All Share and queue it up. PITA. If you take your own home movies and archive them on your computer tho, I like being able to play them without transferring them somewhere else first. Mkv and divx do work from the PC Share Manager server tho.

I will have to try subtitles and get back to you tho. That will be interesting.

I should clarify myself, what I meant is the program called ps3 media server, although you might think differently because of its name it actually works for most DLNA compliant devices.

So I was wondering if that might be a better alternative to the software samsung provided.

#11 ·
Hi all, I too purchased a new c550 last week and it's a great set. I originally had the b550, but returned it within the 30 day period because the c550 had just came out and was on sale.

They seem the same, but the c550 has a couple of more options like pip and shadow detail adjustment.

#14 ·
Here is a list of panels that I have gathered.

2009 models/panels:

55B650 - CN01

46B650 - SS02

46B6000(LED) - BN01

40B550 - CK03

40B530 - CN01

2010 models/panels:

55C7000(3D LED) - SQ01

55C6500(LED) - SQ01

55C650 - SQ01

55C630 - SQ01

50C7000(3D Plasma) - N002

46C6500(LED) - SQ01

46C6300(LED) - SQ01

40C6300(LED) - SQ01

40C5000(LED 60hz) - CN01

40C650 - AA01

40C630 - AA01

40C530 - CN01

32C530(1080P) - AA02

32C350(720P) - BN01

*Panels can change any point. Example the 55B650 came out in Mar.'09 with a CN01 panel, now you can get the same tv with a SQ01/02 panel.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler /forum/post/18461765

I have not seen the 37" so I cannot say what panel they actually use. All the panels I have listed I have actually seen and verified. I just checked on the 40C550 today. It is using the CN01 panel.

i see, how was the picture quality on the C550? did u see any of the pulsing effect we mentioned in the other thread with fast moving objects in dark backgrounds? i belive the 37 inch uses the AA01 panel

#20 ·
To me, yes. Overall picture for the C550 was better than the B550. They both use the C panel but the B550 used the CK and the C550 used the CN. Have no idea if that means anything other than not many people like the C panels. The next one that should have a good panel would be the C630, it uses the A panel.

For the whole panel thing, the B550 was one of the best 60hz tv sold. It was very popular last year. This year things will be a lil more different because people are becoming more and more aware of this panel lottery. It would be nice if Samsung just came out as to why they even have different panels for so many models.

#21 ·
I got my C550 yesterday, and it says AA01 on the box. Great picture. I don't know what the input lag is, but compared to the Panasonic G10 I returned 2 months ago, I don't notice any more lag when using Game Mode with my 360.

It plays xvid/mkv from USB drive, and I got it to stream divx .avi files from MediaTomb and MiniDLNA linux servers over the network. Currently working on getting it to stream .mkv too.

edit: got it to work with MiniDLNA. Needed to modify the source code. Samsung TVs seem to want a MIME type of x-mkv instead of x-matroska. The code in upnphttp.c seems to do a big check for which device is connecting (based on the HTTP User-Agent string) and do special-case fixes. One of those is for Samsung TVs, but only recognized older models, so I changed it to reflect the one I saw in the debug logs when my C550 tried connecting.

Code:
Code:
else if(strstrc(p, "46C550", '\
'))
                                {
                                        h->req_client = ESamsungTV;
                                        h->reqflags |= FLAG_DLNA;
                                        h->reqflags |= FLAG_NO_RESIZE;
                                }
Later on it uses ESamsungTV to do force the mimetype to x-mkv for mkv files. I'm sure this can also be done for MediaTomb in its config file.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmerm /forum/post/18467718

I got my C550 yesterday, and it says AA01 on the box. Great picture. I don't know what the input lag is, but compared to the Panasonic G10 I returned 2 months ago, I don't notice any more lag when using Game Mode with my 360.

It plays xvid/mkv from USB drive, and I got it to stream divx .avi files from MediaTomb and MiniDLNA linux servers over the network. Currently working on getting it to stream .mkv too.

edit: got it to work with MiniDLNA. Needed to modify the source code. Samsung TVs seem to want a MIME type of x-mkv instead of x-matroska. The code in upnphttp.c seems to do a big check for which device is connecting (based on the HTTP User-Agent string) and do special-case fixes. One of those is for Samsung TVs, but only recognized older models, so I changed it to reflect the one I saw in the debug logs when my C550 tried connecting.

Code:
Code:
else if(strstrc(p, "46C550", '\
'))
                                {
                                        h->req_client = ESamsungTV;
                                        h->reqflags |= FLAG_DLNA;
                                        h->reqflags |= FLAG_NO_RESIZE;
                                }
Later on it uses ESamsungTV to do force the mimetype to x-mkv for mkv files. I'm sure this can also be done for MediaTomb in its config file.

cool, do u notice the PULSE effect with the backlight sort of flickering when watching HDTV channels or no? many b550 owners had that problem

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler /forum/post/18456505

Here is a list of panels that I have gathered.

2009 models/panels:

55B650 - CN01

46B650 - SS02

46B6000(LED) - BN01

40B550 - CK03

40B530 - CN01

2010 models/panels:

55C7000(3D LED) - SQ01

55C6500(LED) - SQ01

55C650 - SQ01

55C630 - SQ01

50C7000(3D Plasma) - N002

46C6500(LED) - SQ01

46C6300(LED) - SQ01

40C6300(LED) - SQ01

40C5000(LED 60hz) - CN01

40C650 - AA01

40C630 - AA01

40C530 - CN01

32C530(1080P) - AA02

32C350(720P) - BN01

*Panels can change any point. Example the 55B650 came out in Mar.'09 with a CN01 panel, now you can get the same tv with a SQ01/02 panel.

Mine (46C550) is a SQ02, new to this so how's its performance?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrattler /forum/post/18469256

I hadn't checked on the 46C550. I thought I had them on the list but I must not have looked at those tvs. I will look at the 46C530 and 550 tomorrow.

please check for me what the 37 inch B530 and 37 inch b550 uses, and also what the 40 inch b530 uses, the 40 inch b550 uses the C panel yea?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.